Re: Why is TM so hard to advance 03/29/2005 09:21 AM CST
What kind of magical and defense skills do you have? Also, keep in mind that TM is usually easier to train against natural creatures than the armor-wearing ones, as armor tends to interfere with the effect of the magic, and thus lessen the learning.

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Why is TM so hard to advance 03/29/2005 09:51 AM CST
TM 50 is a very painful spot for us warrior mages. It seems you get into the position of not being able to train it on critters while learning defenses or learning TM but giving up on defenses because you are always retreating to keep from dying. Also, at this point, I am willing to bet that TM is the only skill you need to work on to circle. I have had this conversation with a few other mages in the last week and here is my advice (note that I have no idea what your skills are or what critters you are hunting).

1) Stay with the critters you are hunting and work defenses. They are a very important skill to work and will make the higher circles easier to train in. You could always lock all your defenses and then run over to the guildhall and get a TM class. While in the class, scrape skins, work general magic, juggle, mech lore, pop boxes, etc.

2) Hunt the next higher critter and just retreat, retreat, cast. This will give you the TM ranks to circle but it will not solve the problem of you fighting critters which will kill you quickly. And this will always be a problem unless you get those defenses up. You could let a couple get to melee on you and knock them around with non-damaging spells (tremor, vertigo, arc light, thunderclap, etc.). I suggest non-damaging spells because you want to save the damage for your TM spells. By knocking them around, you can dance with a few of them for a little while and work those defenses. Once the defenses lock (or you are starting to get overwhelmed) then let loose on them.

The main point of my advice is to work the defenses.

Another piece of advice is to know the characteristics of natural vs weapon using critters. The natural critters tend to attack more often which will work your defenses quicker. However, the only defense they rely on is evasion. Weapon using critters attack a little slower because of weapon round times but are great to work offenses on because they use either parry/shield along with their evasion.

Trebber
Re: Why is TM so hard to advance 03/29/2005 10:02 AM CST
Or get a group and go hunt the harder creatures together...Those harder creatures won't seem so hard anymore when you have multiple people fighting em. Also, if you're just looking for TM training go ask to hunt with a paladin and ask them if you could just stay in the back and work TM. Then just sit there and plink away with magic. I mention paladin because of thier protect ability. As long as they are not in danger themselves(stunn,bad position,on ground) they will be able to either stop or reduce the attacks of all monsters directed towards you.

Protect cover = full 100% stop attack or nothing (you can not learn defenses if paladin uses this)

Protect Deflect = a reduced % of the attack stopped. (you can learn defenses since you are still getting hit)

Your only other option is to backtrain defenses like others said if you rather be the solo-hunter type.
Re: Why is TM so hard to advance 04/01/2005 10:39 AM CST
prep ael, face next, target, harness 5, cast. Works good. Also can do prep ael 7, face next, targ, cast. Either way.

Goou Laughter, protector of the bovines.

P.S. Don't harm the aurochs.
Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 07:25 AM CDT
Trained my warmie character from 24th to 25th circle in snowies using AEL at 7 mana for TM, had no trouble locking up at all.

Went to Crossing, circled to 25th, came back, and last night I had him hitting snowies in exactly the same mannner, one after the other, for over half an hour and never got above concentrating. Absolutely never took anywhere near that long before.

This is at 100 ranks of TM. There just can't be that massive a drop in learning from 99 ranks to 100. But I did everything exactly as I had been doing it before. What's up?

The player of Darcwind
Re: Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 09:03 AM CDT
>>This is at 100 ranks of TM. There just can't be that massive a drop in learning from 99 ranks to 100. But I did everything exactly as I had been doing it before. What's up?

Just a few random thoughts:
1) Did you train Intelligence or Wisdom with your circling TDPs? If your TM pool is now significantly larger, or if it drains significantly faster on every absorption pulse, it can look bad but be training fine.

2) Are you now on a post-wall rank? The difference between filling a primary skill pool on a wall rank and the first post-wall rank is enormous, and can seem like a skill is being impossible to train while it is actually racing away instead.

3) Are you still hitting the snowies with AEL as much as you were before you gained that rank and circled?

4) Have you had an Empath make sure that you don't have any nerve damage?

5) Have you had any overall mind state issues on this past hunt, due to armor, shield and/or evasion pools?

6) Have you kept an eye on how much TM skill you have actually gained in that time period? From 100 XX% to 100 yy%?

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/4btcl
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 10:47 AM CDT
>>>1) Did you train Intelligence or Wisdom with your circling TDPs? If your TM pool is now significantly larger, or if it drains significantly faster on every absorption pulse, it can look bad but be training fine.<<<

yes to both wisdom and intelligence

>>>2) Are you now on a post-wall rank? The difference between filling a primary skill pool on a wall rank and the first post-wall rank is enormous, and can seem like a skill is being impossible to train while it is actually racing away instead.<<<

no

>>>3) Are you still hitting the snowies with AEL as much as you were before you gained that rank and circled?<<<

yes

>>>4) Have you had an Empath make sure that you don't have any nerve damage?<<<

no, had no idea that would matter to such an extent. I'll do that.

>>>5) Have you had any overall mind state issues on this past hunt, due to armor, shield and/or evasion pools?<<<

no? Is this a mental health question? 'Cause that's kinda personal.

>>>6) Have you kept an eye on how much TM skill you have actually gained in that time period? From 100 XX% to 100 yy%?<<<

didn't track it that closely

Thanks for all that, Kyn. I really appreciate the time you took to help. I'll see if it's actually moving better than I think in terms of percentage gain.

The player of Darcwind
Re: Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 01:47 PM CDT
>>2) Are you now on a post-wall rank? The difference between filling a primary skill pool on a wall rank and the first post-wall rank is enormous, and can seem like a skill is being impossible to train while it is actually racing away instead.
>KYNEVON

>no
>>BJCREEK

You are incorrect, BJCREEK.

This explanation may be longer than you like, but even the experienced age may learn something.

Stuff we all know:
Primary skills = 8 rank cycle. First rank is easiest. Last is hardest
Secondary skills = 4 rank cycle. First rank is easiest, last is hardest. First rank of the 4 is equal to 4th rank of primary cycle, so the 4 ranks are like the hardest 4 of the primary cycle.
Tertiary skills = 2 rank cycle. Like the hardest 2 ranks of the primary cycle or the hardest 2 of the secondary cycle.

Skillset also affects pool size...

Other stuff you may not know:
Ranks are calculated in bits. Each rank takes more and more bits to make a full rank.
WHEN YOU JOIN THE GUILD YOU ARE GIVEN RANKS, NOT BITS.
WALL RANKS ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THESE FREE RANKS.

If you never joined any guild, all of your walls would occur at rank 4, rank 8, rank 12, etc (because all skills are secondary).

If you joined the WM guild, and recieved no ranks from gauthus, all of your magic walls would occur at 8, 16, 24, all the way up to 80, 88, 96, 104 etc. HOWEVER, gauthus gives you 4 free ranks in TM, for example. Your walls now occur at 12, 20, 28, all the way up to 84, 92, and 100.

Thus, rank 100 is a wall for WMs training TM, assuming they get the 4 'free' ranks from gauthus. And just so you're not confused, f you have 99 ranks in TM, you're training rank 100. If you have 100 ranks of TM (like you do now) you're actually working on your 101st rank, the post wall rank.

And just so you know, you absorb wall ranks at ~22% of the speed you absorb post walls at. Or in other words, post wall ranks absorb almost 5 times faster than wall ranks (for primary skills).

I figured out the part about getting ranks from guild lead not bits from a TF character. Had like 150 TM before I joined the guild. Went up to 154 after talking to gauthus. Yes, he gives you ranks not bits. These ranks are invisible, kinda, to the wall cycle.

Kynevon has list of WM starting skills on his website. You can figure your walls out from there.

You have been educated.

Regards,

p.s. go bucks ;-)
Re: Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 02:16 PM CDT
Wall ranks for commoners and older rangers run off of rank 0. So for primary it would 7, 15, 23, 31, 39, etc. Secondary is 3, 7, 11, 15, 19 etc.

~Ambreene
Re: Snowies for TM 04/03/2005 04:21 PM CDT
You are incorrect.

Here are some quotes from my previous post on the subject, they should help you out..

>If you never joined any guild, all of your walls would occur at rank 4, rank 8, rank 12, etc (because all skills are secondary).

Never joining a guild = commoner

>If you joined the WM guild, and recieved no ranks from gauthus, all of your magic walls would occur at 8, 16, 24, all the way up to 80, 88, 96, 104 etc.

This would be same as joining ranger guild and not recieving free ranks. Sorry if the correlation was tough to make.

>And just so you're not confused, f you have 99 ranks in TM, you're training rank 100. If you have 100 ranks of TM (like you do now) you're actually working on your 101st rank, the post wall rank.

The above explains why your numbers are off by 1.
Learning TM 07/03/2005 10:06 AM CDT
Just a lil tidbit I found, that supports what other's have said. I was hunting armed gobs near The Crossing, full swarms (meaning engaged with 6), room with I think flickering/shimmering mana, and I could gar zeng to heart's content without getting past thoughtful in TM. Switched over to pothanits, badgers and trollkins out the north gate, gz'd a badger to death and I got to muddled pretty fast. So fighting armed/shield opponents definitely affects your TM learning. For reference, here are my skills:

Primary Magic: 50 95% Harness Ability: 50 92%
Power Perceive: 44 22%Magical Devices: 38 31%
Targeted Magic: 34 19%

Dave/Rayaz
Re: Learning TM 07/03/2005 10:11 AM CDT
Oh yeah, and I forgot to add, the critters out the north gate don't swarm nearly as much as the goblins and hogs if you're struggling over there. Trollkins are a lil bit harder than gobs, badgers are about the same as hogs and pothanits fit somewhere in between.

Dave/Rayaz
Re: Learning TM 07/04/2005 01:18 PM CDT
<<
and I could gar zeng to heart's content without getting past thoughtful in TM. Switched over to pothanits, badgers and trollkins out the north gate, gz'd a badger to death and I got to muddled pretty fast. So fighting armed/shield opponents definitely affects your TM learning.
>>

no.

Fighting armored/shielded opponents using GZ definitely affects your TM learning because TM learning is based on damage done. The amount of damage that gets absorbed into the shield/armor is lowering your potential damage so much you are barely learning anything.

Try another spell that doesn't get absorbed as easy to the armor, or something that does potentially more damage per cast (in other words a higher tiered spell)
TM is giving me trouble 07/08/2005 09:23 AM CDT
I'm stuck with TM and I need some help. I currently
have 98 in PM, 68 in TM, and 89 in harn. Now I'm fighting reavers and wind hounds that teach everything else BUT TM. My question is HOW do I get my TM to keep going up. Now GZ works a little, but all the other spells I have seem to not work. I'm preping low and high, trying new things. I'm I in a TM cap of some sort?

a frustrated
Quartermaster Garlceth
of the Zolerian Navy

* Pirates??.... What Pirates?
Re: TM is giving me trouble 07/08/2005 09:25 AM CDT
I believe you've reached the soft cap for reavers try moving to Rock trolls

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: TM is giving me trouble 07/08/2005 01:23 PM CDT
Actually, you might want to try sand sprites. It has the marvelous side effect of being good for your bank account too!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: TM is giving me trouble 07/08/2005 06:54 PM CDT
TM is overrated anyway. I have higher MO (along with every other combat skill) than TM since its more useful.
Re: TM is giving me trouble 07/08/2005 09:29 PM CDT
TM's awsome, I can snap cast fire shard at Sand sprites without targetting and blow their head off

A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: TM is giving me trouble 07/09/2005 02:28 PM CDT
Have you tried bone wolves south of Leth?
Learning some TM 07/09/2005 08:48 PM CDT
I have 110 TM and like 140s PM and 155 Harn. I have tried sand sprites, Rock trolls, Reavers, All the stuff I would learn on about 3 years ago. but since that time apparently alot has changed and I can't learn targetted unless I go to crocs, swamp trolls (for which I die quickly). Can anyone help? it is hard to find a teacher for these high of ranks.
Re: Learning some TM 07/09/2005 08:59 PM CDT
Try snowbeasts near Leth, vipers near Crossing, silver leucros on Ratha. If you're daring, morah vines/creepers and gypsy marauders near Theren, shadoweavers and wormwood vines south of Shard, la'tamis on Aesry, black leucros near Crossing, but these might be a bit hard for you.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al
Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 11:45 AM CDT
Silver Leucros on ratha taught me like a dream around 110. The best part is that they keep teaching you into the 130 range that you need to move on to swains, which are also on Ratha. Only thing about leucros I guess is to watch your defenses, they can hit sorta hard if your MO isn't up to snuff when they swarm. Oh yeah, one more thing... make sure you are using the right spells. I'd stick with GZ at min prep, it is quick, mana efficient, and teaches great.
Sephos
Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 12:30 PM CDT
Ratha's pretty cool it's got a nice chain: sand sprites to leucs, leucs to swains, swains to hatchlings I believe after Hatchlings you can go to those la'haize things or whatever

Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 12:43 PM CDT
>>Ratha's pretty cool it's got a nice chain: sand sprites to leucs, leucs to swains, swains to hatchlings I believe after Hatchlings you can go to those la'haize things or whatever

Ochre La'Heke.

Below is an excerpt, Ratha-only, from Amagaim's What To Hunt Chart.
CritterAreaBottom CapTop CapNotes
Sand SpritesRatha, First Tier, The Wreck of the Seerah.70100Coin, gem, box. Magic using. Swarm!
Blue Salt CrabsRatha, First Tier, Sand Sprite Nest.75?100?Skin.
Silver LeucrosRatha, Fourth Tier, Reshalian Trade Road.90129Skin. Swarm.
Crimson MerrowsRatha, Tembat Nai Itan.110140?Coin, gem, box. Skin. Water.
Bawdy SwainsRatha, First Tier, Old Rat's Tavern. (Hara'jaal, Enclave, Tavern.)?110170?Coin, gem, box.
Azure MerrowsRatha, Tembat Nai Itan.120????Coin, gem, box. Skin. Water.
Kra'hei HatchlingsRatha, Sewers130180Coin, gem, box. Nerve poison tail attack.
Ochre La'hekeRatha, Wreck of the Seerah.150255Skin. Chance of falling. Need swimming of ??? for some rooms.
Pale Grey Death Spirits (2)Ratha, Reshalian Trade Road, Deadman's Confide.180235?Coin, gem, box. Undead. Need blessed weapon.
Spectral PirateRatha, Reshalian Trade Road, Deadman's Confide.210??????? Undead. Need blessed weapon. Jail.
Skeletal SailorRatha, Reshalian Trade Road, Deadman's Confide.210??????? Undead. Web.
Dobek MorurynRatha, Third Tier, Urrem'tier's Temple, Cavern of Glass.250360?Occasional ruby. Skin. Poison attack. Cursed.
Retan DolomarsHara'jaal, Climbing the Cliffs. Ratha, Pokekehekepi Beach.260410Skin. Coin, gem. Ambush. Hard shell. Swarm on Hara'jaal.
Kra'hei'sRatha, Ehhrsk Highway.300?400?Coin, gem, box.
S'sugi MalchataIlithi, Remcli Amarcen. Ratha, Pohekehekepi Beach, Korgi.500?700???? Special sandstorm ability.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 06:21 PM CDT
What's the deal with Crimson and Asure Merrows? Are they any good for anything? No one ever seems to mention them as a hunting option.
Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 08:21 PM CDT
>>What's the deal with Crimson and Asure Merrows? Are they any good for anything? No one ever seems to mention them as a hunting option.

All I know of them is what is on Amagaim's list. I suspect that they aren't mentioned because no on goes there much, or it is not an easy place to get to.

Not a pretty area, all water, so probably lots of swimmming, and bad for certain spells, like FS and GZ. http://www.rangerrawb.com/ranik/Map94a.html

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 08:48 PM CDT
It's worse than "all water"... Most of it is underwater. You need a spell or ability that allows you to breathe underwater, and LOTS of swimming otherwise you'll get stuck.

By LOTS of swimming I mean in the range of 300+ ranks, to the best of my knowledge.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al
Re: Learning some TM 07/10/2005 11:40 PM CDT
Merrows are about the same level as hatchlings, in water, and inside a cavern so Tailwind can not be used to generate a air bubble. I have swam around in there a lot with around 60 swimming.

The biggest issue with the hunting area is slow gen
you can get hides and boxes, but they hides are not worth a great deal.
Wabo
Re:Learning some TM [In Merrows} 07/13/2005 10:59 PM CDT
Could use some of the various Air bubble devices to get around the underwater problem but they tend to be expensive and Merrows are for relatively young hunters. This area is visually beautiful but the underwater combat mechanics make swinging a weapon a chore. Also wouldnt want to use any electrical spells in the water. I do recommend folks to see the area but its not well thought out in regards to attracting the level of hunters it is useful to. Us war mages also cant cast our air based defensive spells while underwater. The elemental was decent throughout the area.

Rys
Silver Leucro TM Cap? 09/18/2005 01:09 PM CDT
Anyone know what the hard cap is for learning TM in silver leucros on Ratha?

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Silver Leucro TM Cap? 09/18/2005 03:20 PM CDT
They slow down a lot around 120, unless you get a hell of a lot of them
Re: Silver Leucro TM Cap? 09/18/2005 05:59 PM CDT
>>They slow down a lot around 120, unless you get a hell of a lot of them

Sounds like 120 is the soft cap?

That should work for me, since that will get me to 30th, and then I can still milk them for a bit while working my other combats back up on them to closer to my "happy" state.

Thanks for the info!

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Silver Leucro TM Cap? 10/01/2005 11:34 PM CDT
>>Sounds like 120 is the soft cap?

From my recent experience, today, 120 is not the soft cap, since I still get a pool level from killing one, with 120 ranks and 25 Intel, 20 Disc.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Silver Leucro TM Cap? 10/01/2005 11:48 PM CDT
It's around 130-140ish for weapons, I dunno about TM. I'd guess about the same, give or take.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Silver Leucro TM Cap? 10/02/2005 09:50 AM CDT
What's one of the best TM teaching spells that war mages have aside from CL for learning TM past 500?
Best way to learn TM? 11/07/2005 09:05 PM CST
I'm having problems learning TM. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Some say to snap cast others say target. Which is best? I'm still in gobs though I have been to trollkins. It doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't get it past thoughtful.

My spells: ES, AEL, GZ, FRS, FOS, SW and Zephyr

Circle: 10
Light Chain: 34 Parry Ability: 38
Multi Opponent: 37 Medium Edged: 40
Primary Magic: 41 Harness Ability: 44
Power Perceive: 46 Magical Devices: 29
Targeted Magic: 40 Evasion: 32

How much should I prep? And snap or target?

~the player of a halfling, an elf and a human

"Don't bother mommy right now. She's busy fighting monsters."

"There is no absolute truth in the world for every group of people."
Re: Best way to learn TM? 11/07/2005 11:02 PM CST
I'd say prep GZ, target, harness.. 3 or 4 maybe? Then cast, soon as your RT is over. That oughta get you moving. GZ will be your teacher for a long long time.

If that's not teaching you well enough, increase the amount you're harnessing.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Best way to learn TM? 11/08/2005 12:53 AM CST
>>I'm still in gobs though I have been to trollkins.

I think you aren't going to be learning much more TM in goblins or trollkins. You've pretty much capped goblins at 40 ranks, and probably into the soft cap for trollkins, since I don't think they hard cap much past 45 ranks.

I would recommend you move on up the creature chain.

Possible new hunting grounds:
Up the Siergelde cliffs, past the favor area, and hunt jackals and cougars up there, and run from the rare bobcats.
In the cougar area by the Wolf & Knife clans, fairly good elemental mana in most of those rooms, run from the wandering ogres when they come in.

With a few more defensive ranks, and higher magic skills to get more out of SW, you can move on to grass eels.

>>How much should I prep? And snap or target?

I snap cast GZ at 1 point over minimum mana, using Path Damage.

On a side note, I cannot recommend SUF highly enough as one of the widest spectrum utility spells available to Warrior Mages. Between the balance benefit, and the bonus points to Agility and Reflex, it can make a big difference in hunting, box popping, origami, skinning/scraping, etc.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Best way to learn TM? 11/08/2005 12:56 AM CST
Oh, and I forgot my other, over-given advice: Power walk. A lot. As much as you can, at least until you get to 100 ranks of Power Perception.

It helps immensely, in many ways, to be able to start drawing power from adjacent rooms, which is why I said that the cougar area between Knife and Wolf Clans has good mana, because all those rooms have multiple adjacent rooms to draw on.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Re: Best way to learn TM? 11/08/2005 09:12 AM CST
Kynevon's got the right of it. Power-walk a LOT: That will help you find and eventually draw in mana. And you pretty well have capped trollkins and goblins for TM teaching. I don't know what your defenses look like, but you might be able to milk a bit more from water sprites. If not, with caution you could learn from jackals or wood trolls and grendels. Be careful though: The said critters can be hard on young hunters.

Ryeka