Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 08:09 PM CDT
>>PS: If your last post was any guide, put your next one in conflicts and save the BMs the trouble of moving it for you.

So you go and cry about the thread to the BM's? Hence the reason I don't post much on the boards, waaaa....it's conflict, move it, waaaa....

It's the same thing with the game itself, and gweths, and everything else, you don't like it, just ignore it.
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 09:59 PM CDT
>There's more than one kind of efficiency.

please enlighten us...or at least me to your type of effcientcy that does not concern "learning the fastests with using the least amount of mana"...

Celestica moves a stone mortar labeled "NotCelestiaa" to his right hand.
You tap a hollow ram's horn labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
* Celestiaa was just struck down!
* Celestica was just struck down!
* Celesi was just struck down!
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 10:51 PM CDT
Okay. Since you asked so politely, I'll tell you.

The efficiency which I was referring to was the efficiency of learning on an individual creature.

When you are in a swarming area, there is really no need to wring every last bit of experience out of a creature. In fact, taking extra time to kill monsters can be dangerous. Sure, dropping casts of 4 mana GZs will probably get me more experience from an individualcreature, but (hypothetical numbers) if it takes me 5 casts to drop a critter using 4 mana, and only one cast to drop a critter using 20 mana, and there are 5-6 creatures in the room, it's not in my best interests to spend the 15-20 seconds (more, depending on lag) to drop five casts. If I were a premium user, maybe I could do it faster, but I have to worry about type-ahead lines.

When there's only one critter, I don't generally use GZ.

Feel enlightened yet? Good, because I'm done explaining myself. If you have any more insulting replies, I'll answer them in conflicts. Otherwise, I'm done with this thread.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
-- Sir Anthony Marks, "One Enchanted Evening"
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 10:54 PM CDT
<<<<Feel enlightened yet? Good, because I'm done explaining myself. If you have any more insulting replies, I'll answer them in conflicts. Otherwise, I'm done with this thread.>>>>

Will you still answer them since you cried on the board monitor folder to close this thread? Someone get the whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

Thanks for reading
~Sammee
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 11:00 PM CDT
>Feel enlightened yet?

Not really, still sounds like the typical definition of effciency to me.

Celestica moves a stone mortar labeled "NotCelestiaa" to his right hand.
You tap a hollow ram's horn labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
* Celestiaa was just struck down!
* Celestica was just struck down!
* Celesi was just struck down!
Re: TM Training 05/23/2004 01:07 AM CDT
which spell kills stuff the fastest != learning and or mana usage effeciency(which is what you asked me to prove you wrong about, and i did) just as a little reminder :)
Re: TM Training 05/23/2004 01:16 PM CDT
<<<Feel enlightened yet? Good, because I'm done explaining myself. If you have any more insulting replies, I'll answer them in conflicts. Otherwise, I'm done with this thread.>>>

Just when you think people have said enough to look plenty dumb...they go and keep breathing....

I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return keep me here.
Re: TM Training 05/23/2004 05:00 PM CDT
End of thread unless we can be constructive. Keep the bickering to the conflict folders.

Questions or comments may be sent to mod-liebeth@play.net

Regards,

Mod Liebeth
The multitude of defenses against TM 05/25/2004 01:27 PM CDT
Barbs have BMR.
MM have 2 good magic barrier spells.
Paladins have SP.
WMs have AC (which is great, don't get me wrong).

There's the mana thing too. You can load an arrow and shoot all day long.

I think it would be cool if barrier spells and BMR had a lot less pronounced affect on TM. It would be cool if it always worked, like a ranged weapon does. I mean, even CL is pretty easily neutered (heh heh, my roommate's dog "Tank" got neutered last week...I make fun of him now) by ES/SD.

Tessaa
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/25/2004 02:15 PM CDT
you forgot VoI
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/26/2004 07:27 PM CDT
VOI is nice, if you don't want to blow stuff up. Just like AC its destroyed the second you cast offensive spells, and then leaves you defensless. It also only works on 1 attack. Anyone heading to the warmie shop above theren seords, prolly will get triple lightning bolted, like I was last time I tried to get there. Amazing that 3 of them can snap LB in unison just walking into a room.

Gretrieg & Krew,

Gretrieg, Yachy, Xentago, Armas, Brij/Wuden, Vandmore and the White Raven
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/26/2004 10:28 PM CDT
<<Amazing that 3 of them can snap LB in unison just walking into a room.>>

their scripts are faster than yours :P
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/26/2004 10:33 PM CDT
I was using the move command? thats about as fast as you can move through rooms... I would have hid and stalk, but tert stuff that will save your life.

Gretrieg & Krew,

Gretrieg, Yachy, Xentago, Armas, Brij/Wuden, Vandmore and the White Raven
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/27/2004 03:21 AM CDT
>I was using the move command? thats about as fast as you can move through rooms...

Creatures (outcasts included) are part of the server or something. I'm not a computer person, but I think this means that they automaticly go first.

Tessaa
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 05/27/2004 07:32 AM CDT
>Creatures (outcasts included) are part of the server or something. I'm not a computer person, but I think this means that they automaticly go first.

This is seen in those wonderful occurances that I like to call pre-death. More specifically, it's when you enter the command to move north, say, and see that you're dead before you even arrive at your northern destination.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: The multitude of defenses against TM 06/11/2004 02:44 PM CDT
Or the even more beloved "drag someone and they still die", where an archer kills someone as though they're still in the room. Veyl seems to think the first "problem" should in fact be characterized as "abilities" the critters have, if I'm reading his statements in the Outcast War folder right.

Katsura
650 TM 07/21/2004 09:37 PM CDT
So any ideas where to train TM at about 650 ranks other then flex critters or malachatta?
Re: 650 TM 07/22/2004 04:12 AM CDT
I haven't tried malachata but CL on flex westies works very well. The only problem is the mana situation where they gen. Sky giants would be an option but the inconvenience, danger and really poor gen rate is an issue. I'm hopeful that when the poloh'izh changes are rolled out they'll be an option again as well.
Re: 650 TM 07/22/2004 02:52 PM CDT
gz or cl on westies works nicely with 720 tm especially since ssra was nice enough to fix them... THX SSRA <3
Relative TM strength 12/25/2004 11:16 AM CST
Currently a WM TM generally outpforms a cleric or MM TM spell mana for mana.

This is how it should be, considering we are TM masters.

However, did the GMs consider the fact that needing to put 4-5 mana more into a spell doesn't matter if you have access to 60-100 more mana?

Just a double check.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Relative TM strength 12/25/2004 12:56 PM CST
I gusse you should have joined the power percieve masters.

Limitation strictly defined by motivation. - Edan
Re: Relative TM strength 12/25/2004 01:48 PM CST
From the official site itself:

Targeted Magic
Though other practitioners of magical arts are able to direct arcane forces towards a target, it is Warrior Mages who are most skilled in channeling destructive magical energy.

Translates into:
You've been played for a sucker. Welcome to the club.
Happy Holidays!!!

Just remeber we all feel your pain. I love it when a moon mage that can barely hunt in areas the are half my skills can devestate me with one spell. Go figure? I find it almost as funny as Chill Spirit was. Not to gripe or pour salt in old wounds, but that was just out of control. It is good to be the masters of target.

As much as I like kicking dead horses I just don't see the point of going on with talking about this, but heck I can't resist kicking it. It is just a really frustrating thing to discuss and the situation has not changed. Not to mention that if people start to express their angst over this discrepancy it is treated like a GvG issue and the posts are pulled.

Lomelinde

Fighting with a short sword, you believe that the ship's rat is a mythical being of immense power and ability.
Re: Relative TM strength 12/25/2004 02:33 PM CST
I played a MM primary for about 55 circles. I've also played other MMs along the way (one in TF to almost 30, one in prime to mid 20s, etc.)

I've only played a few newb clerics. So I don't know much about clerics.

However, I think clerics get mana boosts too. From devotion? and maybe other stuff?

Smegul used to claim that base mana for clerics was lower.

However, if base holy mana is about the same as base elemental mana (because the world builder people don't assign mana to rooms, I think it's done at least partly automaticly) then their mana boosting stuff could help to overcome the discrepancy in strength from TM spells also.

To be honest, it's an issue I bet the GMs have considered. Just tossing out random things I was thinking about.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Relative TM strength 12/26/2004 08:53 AM CST
>(because the world builder people don't assign mana to rooms, I think it's done at least partly automaticly)

Been admitted that mana and specific mana types for an area can be set low. Plus they always seem to make one room to have good life and holy for the healing and raise spot (hey make rooms critetrs can walk in good for elemental since we need multiple 'kill' rooms!). Frankly I think setting elemental low for an area only be possible if Valdrik approves it and that contriving one room for certain guilds be banned if we (war mages) have to put up with arbitrary mana assignment.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Relative TM strength 12/27/2004 12:51 AM CST
Okay, I'm going to nip this one off. Folks, knock off the GvG.

-Chakram

"With talons wrought of steel I tore the heart of doom, and in one gleaming moment I saw beyond the tomb."

- Kansas

"Here we belong, fighting to survive,
in a war with the darkest power."

- Queen
Which is better for learning TM? 01/13/2005 07:47 PM CST
I was kind of curious about the way TM works. I read a while ago that it is comparable to a weapon skill. I know with weapons you gain more exp from harder hits.

So my question is this: Do we gain more exp with a crit that does more damage or one that is more accurate (target critter chest for instance)? Or do they both play an equal role in the amount of experience gained for a successful hit?

Player of Maizann and Anarack
"Hello, China. I have somethin you may want, but it's gonna cost ya. Thats right...all the tea."
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/13/2005 08:00 PM CST
>>I was kind of curious about the way TM works. I read a while ago that it is comparable to a weapon skill. I know with weapons you gain more exp from harder hits.

>>So my question is this: Do we gain more exp with a crit that does more damage or one that is more accurate (target critter chest for instance)? Or do they both play an equal role in the amount of experience gained for a successful hit?

TM has some odd rules for learening, unlike weapons, but we won't go into that area. ;)

Like weapons, you don't gain any extra experience for specifically targetting an area, so the main benefit, if you can hit the area consistently, would be strategic, either destroyed limbs to disarm, or a vital area for quicker kills.

From my experience, and what others have posted, it seems that TM experience is based on vitality damage still, rather than gaining extra experience for critical hit kills, so killing your target via vitality damage would probably teach best.

Which is also why, even now, plinking still teaches better, overall, than quick kills, since you can get the experience from taking away vitality that has regenerated as well as from damaging it the first time.

I believe that weapons work that way, as well, where experience seems to be based on vitality damage, rather than the actual kill itself.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/13/2005 08:13 PM CST
Thanks for the quick reply. Ill try that technique out even though Im not really havin much trouble learnin TM where Im hunting now. Maybe Ill learn it quicker.

Im still trying to get reqquainted with some of these crazy magic systems since I was on hiatus (with this char at least) for the better part of 2 years. Just after the magic rewrite actually. Expect more questions in the near future on spell selection. :)

"Hello, China. I have somethin you may want, but it's gonna cost ya. Thats right...all the tea."
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/13/2005 08:49 PM CST
Best way for me to train TM is to kill as many things while using the least amount of mana. Fire Rain rocks for this. One cast at 44 mana and I can kill everything in the room.

Trebber
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/13/2005 08:59 PM CST
You will also find killing critters with shields, assuming your spells break through the shield (not DFA spells) that they will teach better. Just like learning weapons better from a critter that parries or blocks. I believe attempts of breaking through the shield teaches as well, not quite sure. Good luck though, changes have made it more difficult for us all.

Thoumas

The fendryad leaps in with an odd glitter in her green eyes.
She points at Xardos, calling, "Hi, Dad, I'm home!"
>
You ask, "Mind if we kill your daughter?"
>
Xardos chuckles.
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/14/2005 09:36 AM CST
I am not sure what level of critters you are hunting, but Garzeng is still mindlocking my target very easily at 290's target. I simply use minimum prep, target, cast, rapid firing as fast as I can until the critter is dead. The biggest trick to locking target I have found is finding one that is difficult enough to train.

Both Fire Rain and Chain lighting also seem to train very well.
Wabo
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/14/2005 09:40 AM CST
<<The biggest trick to locking target I have found is finding one that is difficult enough to train.>>

should have stated

The biggest trick to locking target I have found is finding a critter that is difficult enough to train.

Sorry
Wabo
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/14/2005 03:57 PM CST
>>I am not sure what level of critters you are hunting,

Im still little. Only circle 22. Huntin vipers and serpents and yes GZ does move it pretty well if I connect with three blasts.

Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/14/2005 05:09 PM CST
<<Both Fire Rain and Chain lighting also seem to train very well.

All from a 44 mana cast of fire rain ...

You also see a sabre-toothed warcat that appears dead, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead, a chubby lynx that is sitting, a pyroclastic ash cloud, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead, a sabre-toothed warcat that appears dead, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead, a sabre-toothed warcat that appears dead, a red bear orc reiver that appears dead and a red bear orc reiver that appears dead.

Trebber
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/16/2005 11:54 AM CST
>I was kind of curious about the way TM works. I read a while ago that it is comparable to a weapon skill.

It's the exact same exp system.
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/16/2005 11:54 AM CST
>TM has some odd rules for learening, unlike weapons, but we won't go into that area. ;)

All I can think of is multi-shot TM spells don't let you get overkill, but dual loading will.
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/16/2005 08:44 PM CST
>>>TM has some odd rules for learening, unlike weapons, but we won't go into that area. ;)

>>All I can think of is multi-shot TM spells don't let you get overkill, but dual loading will.

Heh. Weapons will work in every room in the game, except where spells like BoT block 'em; mana (for non-MMs) can vary widely within an area, including rooms with no mana, where you can't use any spell.

As an example, I just started hunting in the beginning area of bone wolves, and there is only one room in that first area with tolerable mana, faintly glowing streams, while there is one room with vague streams (next to none), 4 rooms with hazy streams, and 4 rooms with dimly flikering streams. And that is with 169 ranks of Power Perception.

0 x none
1 x vague streams
4 x hazy streams
4 x dimly flickering streams
1 x flickering streams
2 x shimmering streams
0 x slowly pulsating streams
1 x pulsating streams
1 x quickly pulsating streams
1 x faintly glowing streams
0 x glowing streams and above

16 rooms, over 50% of them with minimal elemental mana. :( Under 25% with barely tolerable mana.

It is only because plinking still teaches, that I am able to learn TM in that area. Not even counting that the vague room appears to be one of the creature generation rooms.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE: http://www.play.net/software/warlock-info.asp
Amagaim's What to Hunt list: http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.xls
"We're not lost. We're just geographically confused." Brian, KoDT
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/18/2005 10:48 PM CST
Yeah, but the learning systems function EXACTLY the same.

They use the same exp system.

Except dual loading still gives overkill, I believe. Multi shots and TM spells do too...except we don't get big overkill anymore because the spell stops hitting when the creature dies. So the first shot might get some overkill, but additional shots won't. With dual load, the first shot can get some overkill, then the second shot be 100% overkill.

That's the only difference I know of between the two.

However, that's a good point, Kyn. There are many other differences between actually learning the two.
Re: Which is better for learning TM? 01/18/2005 10:50 PM CST
er, i guess mine wouldn't be a difference between the exp systems either. still get same exp damage for damage, guess that's a difference between how ranged and magic multi shot work, not the exp system. So, um, i guess their exp systems are pretty much the same I bet.
Why is TM so hard to advance 03/29/2005 08:59 AM CST
OK, I've been playing DR for a long time and I'm having a hard time getting TM up. I think it's up to 50 something. Right now I'm circle 12 almost 13 and it seems that TM is taking forever to get up. I use the pathways and I kinda see a difference. The only real time I see Tm slowly going up is when I fight creatures that are way harder than me. But I take the chance of being killed when I do that. Is that the only way. For me to push myself and hope to not get killed?
Is there anything I can do to help TM move up faster.

--The voice of Garseth--