Re: TM training 05/09/2004 05:03 PM CDT
First of all I suggestto get your defneses a tad higher, then go Wind Hounds to work Tm then Cave BEar then Rock trolls, they all locked it for me when I was your circle, and bears and trolls still do well at 61, however rocktrolls might be a tad tough for yo, maybe not, I ussually get a hunting partner to keep me company to take carwe of swarms. By the way if my mechs higher then my TM is that bad? <chuckle>

Celestica moves a stone mortar labeled "NotCelestiaa" to his right hand.

You tap a hollow ram's horn
labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
Re: TM training 05/09/2004 05:45 PM CDT
What Celestiaa said. A lot of older warrior mages have trouble with their prey hunting them because they neglected their defenses in favor of TM.

Also keep in mind that our magic is elemental in nature and it is winter and therefore snowing a lot, so your fire shard might not be having as much of an effect as you could wish.

What other targetting spells do you have? At your circle I was learning fairly well from pots and badgers, or from lipopods and water sprites.

Mheereia

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: TM training 05/09/2004 06:00 PM CDT
blush I forgot it was winter...

As for other targetted spells I have...um...nonetospeakof...

I suppose this means I should move a none-fire targetted up on my shopping list?
Re: TM training 05/09/2004 06:07 PM CDT
<<I suppose this means I should move a none-fire targetted up on my shopping list?>>

Normally i would say GZ (Gar Zeng) would be the spell of choice of a non-fire based target spell. Given that GZ, FS and CL are all facing an intended downtweak, is hard to recommend it until the tweak has happened and we can see how it is. But as a lower tier spell it should teach great at lower circles anyway.

Rehlyn

The strongbox just bounced out of the room near a low tunnel!
Re: TM training 05/09/2004 06:18 PM CDT
I really recommend water sprites and lipos. They lasted me for a good 5 circles (10-15) and they drop a fair amount of coin, as well. (and, joyfully, no boxes!)

- Moto, Fyre-Cat

MINE! MINE! MINE! Get away from my swag! - Soim
Re: TM training 05/10/2004 12:41 AM CDT
Should I be casting with a little target time as possible, or waiting for a fully target lock?
Re: TM training 05/10/2004 12:51 AM CDT
>Should I be casting with a little target time as possible, or waiting for a fully target lock?

Target time? Whatever method kills more critters faster.

Prep time can alter whether you learn PM or harness. Target time conerns how much damage you do, but less target time = more total casts....so whichever you kill more critters faster with.

Tessaa
Re: TM training 05/11/2004 10:57 AM CDT
Basically, what folks are saying is, even though you need TM to circle, it's best to keep your defenses up to it as much as possible. This means you might have to slow down on learning TM and circling to do this.

My TM and defenses about less than 50 ranks, but I still have slow down on TM learning and circling. It's hard, but well worth it in the long run.

Circling is great, but focus on keeping defenses and weapons up.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
TM Training 05/17/2004 05:45 PM CDT
Ok.. Aside from the fact that I'm REALLY Lazy and dun wanna go out to Ratha to fight sand sprites.....

Does anyone know of anything that will lock my TM with about 65 ranks? (That won't kill me immediately).

Reavers don't, Rockies don't (Yes I'm using GZ too.).. Something fairly local?

If Fed Ex and UPS merged would they be called Fed Up?
Re: TM Training 05/17/2004 05:48 PM CDT
Reavers should be ideal if your defenses are good enough to manage them.
Re: TM Training 05/17/2004 05:58 PM CDT
They don't lock me, as I've said. The only thing that moves me to what I consider decent.. (very muddled, perplexing) is Young Ogres but they still rock me.... =/

And beisswurms don't either.
--

If Fed Ex and UPS merged would they be called Fed Up?
Re: TM Training 05/17/2004 06:00 PM CDT
<<They don't lock me, as I've said. >>

Wow. I really need to learn to read ... sorry about that.

Gizella, village idiot
Re: TM Training 05/17/2004 07:43 PM CDT
Cave bears? Bone wolves? Try to find something that doesn't use a shield to parry with, animal types are usually good for target.

Welcome to DragonRealms, where the term 'fog of war' takes on an entirely new meaning.
Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 01:31 AM CDT
any luck with dusk ogres in haven tunnels?

-Durn
Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 01:42 AM CDT
Try crocs or fire sprites. Make a lot more coin huntin sand sprites though.

Krunx

Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 08:32 AM CDT

Ok.. Aside from the fact that I'm REALLY Lazy and dun wanna go out to Ratha to fight sand sprites.....

Does anyone know of anything that will lock my TM with about 65 ranks? (That won't kill me immediately).

Reavers don't, Rockies don't (Yes I'm using GZ too.).. Something fairly local?

I have 64 TM rockies and cave bear both work it fine. What are your General magic skills?
here are my stats.

Primary Magic: 101 46% bewildering Harness Ability: 100 85% bewildering
Power Perceive: 114 01% perplexing Magical Devices: 95 37% thoughtful
Targeted Magic: 64 31% clear

Evasion: 42 00% clear Parry Ability: 50 97.20% clear
Shield Usage: 23 44% clear Light Chain: 44 22% clear
Heavy Chain: 33 48% clear Multi Opponent: 52 73% clear
Light Edged: 20 22% clear Medium Edged: 32 21% learning
Heavy Edged: 46 91% clear
Long Bow: 29 38% clear

And trolls and bear works wonderfulyl for me <shrug>

You tap a hollow ram's horn labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
* Celestiaa was just struck down!
* Celestica was just struck down!
* Celesi was just struck down!
Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 08:34 AM CDT
16th circle with these stats btw

Strength : 17 Reflex : 22
Agility : 19 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 13 Wisdom : 14
Intelligence : 13 Stamina : 15

Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 02:14 PM CDT
I would try the uyns in Riverhaven, snowbeast in Shard then gargoyals after that. Once you capped gargs, come to Lang and learn in Peccs.

You can come to Theren now and try learning from vines and Mara's but swarms can get tight. Blood wolves would be great, but mana stinks.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 03:24 PM CDT
Also, you're not going to learn very well if you prep a GZ at low mana and cast it. The reason multi-shot spells teach so well is the concept of overkill - you are dealing more damage than the creature has vitality, so you learn more TM. Try using GZ at higher mana - I prep at 5, target, harness 5 mana 3 times, path focus damage, and cast. I learned in blood wolves even with terrible mana that way.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
-- Sir Anthony Marks, "One Enchanted Evening"
Re: TM Training 05/18/2004 04:44 PM CDT
Consider also beisswurms by cave bears.

If you get bored there, hop into nearby warklins. They'll kill you but it will amuse me.

Tessaa
Re: TM Training 05/19/2004 12:47 AM CDT
>Consider also beisswurms by cave bears.

If you get bored there, hop into nearby warklins. They'll kill you but it will amuse me.

No they won't Warklins are a Prime hunting area for 10-20th circle.

Don't listen to Tessaa.

Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 01:14 AM CDT
<<Also, you're not going to learn very well if you prep a GZ at low mana and cast it. The reason multi-shot spells teach so well is the concept of overkill - you are dealing more damage than the creature has vitality, so you learn more TM. Try using GZ at higher mana - I prep at 5, target, harness 5 mana 3 times, path focus damage, and cast. I learned in blood wolves even with terrible mana that way.>>

I would prove you wrong but i just dont have the energy right now.
Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 11:56 AM CDT
Fireshard is best for overkill because with a set PM and mana you are guaranteed 4 shards. Thus you can kill each critter 4 times.

GZ is decent at low mana (and low PM) because the multi shots are random and don't seem to be based on mana or PM. Thus many low mana casts of GZ might not get a ton of overkill, but I think getting just a bunch of individual shots helps the TM learning a nice bit too.

Tessaa
Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 01:52 PM CDT
That may be, Tessaa, but I don't have fire shard. And I'm just basing things on my experience. I will learn more TM from casting one 20 mana GZ than I will from casting four 5 mana GZs. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong in a general sense, but I am saying what works for me and what I have seen. Your mileage may vary.

And LINKZY? I dare you to prove me wrong about MY experience with a spell.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 07:10 PM CDT
>>And LINKZY? I dare you to prove me wrong about MY experience with a spell.

Well, let's see. Previous GM posts have stated that there is no such thing as overkill. Once your target is dead, any additional damage/hits teach nothing.

What you are really seeing, IMO, is not more overall learning, but a fuller pool for a shorter time. Note that using this method in a swarming area will teach more TM, since you will be unlikely to run out of targets before you run out of mana. In non-swarming areas, you wouldn't see as good results from this, and that would be further adjusted by the total number of casts you can do at each mana level. In a moderate or better room, you would probably be able to continue casting at 5 mana pretty much indefinitely, but would "tap out" fairly quicker at the 20 mana level.

In order to actually test this out, someone needs to run (at least) two test sessions.

Each session: start from clear in TM. Kill the same number of creatures. Keep your overall mindstate at clear to fluid, as higher overall mindstates will affect both how much experience you get from an action, and how much experience makes it over from the pool into your skill. :(

In one session, cast your GZ spell at the highest mana you can, killing as quickly as possible. In the other session, cast at near-minimum levels untilo your opponents are dead.

Note how much experience you actually gain by each method, making sure you grab the decimals shown when you go for the specific skill experience level.

My suspicions are that, unless even the minimum mana casts kill them fairly quickly, you learn more experience overall with the minimum mana casts, as they are likely to have at least one vitality healing pulse before they die, giving you more damage you can do to them before you kill them.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://www.geocities.com/kinevon @ prodigy.net/ (remove the spaces for my DR links page)
Mac OS X FE: http://www.simucon2004.com/~kynevon/DragonRealms/WaveFront.zip
Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 07:11 PM CDT
<<Previous GM posts have stated that there is no such thing as overkill. Once your target is dead, any additional damage/hits teach nothing.>>

Show me please.

Gizella
Re: TM Training 05/21/2004 10:55 PM CDT
If you don't mind, I'd like you to give me the folders and post numbers of said GM posts. And I'd still like to see you prove me wrong about my experience with a spell, since you know next to nothing about my current skill level, attributes, et cetera.

Let me make my point as simple as possible. By casting at higher preps, I lock my TM faster and using less mana than I would spend by using smaller preps repeatedly. For my purposes, this means I learn better using my method.

If you're going into the amount any individual creature will teach, that is a completely seperate issue, and the discussion, however innaccurate, will then be divorced from my experience, which includes my purpose in doing things a certain way.

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 03:48 AM CDT
<<And LINKZY? I dare you to prove me wrong about MY experience with a spell.>>

ok, only because you called me out.

You begin to advance on a mottled westanuryn.
>dodge

But you are already dodging!
>tar

You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
A mottled westanuryn suddenly darts to one side, then sits motionless.
>
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a mottled westanuryn.
>dodge

The mottled westanuryn begins to advance on you!
The mottled westanuryn is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
But you are already dodging!
>
You close to pole weapon range on a mottled westanuryn.
You stop a mottled westanuryn from advancing any farther.
>exp targ

The formation of the target pattern around a mottled westanuryn has completed.
A mottled westanuryn skitters into view, stinger poised.

Circle: 115

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Targeted Magic: 655 19.79% learning

Time Development Points: 485 Favors: 7 Deaths: 406
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
>
You close to melee range on a mottled westanuryn.
>cast

You reach out toward a mottled westanuryn with your left hand.
You manage to channel most of your energy into the spell. The rest is wasted.
Two blasts of electricity arc from you to it!
Its head snaps back reflexively.
The second blast deflects off a mottled westanuryn's heavily plated hide!
A mottled westanuryn throws both claws skywards as it collapses onto itself.
Roundtime: 1 second.

>exp targ

Targeted Magic: 655 19.79% thoughtful

1 35 prep GZ 1 shot kill went from learning to thoughtful

and here goes the min prep gz's

>exp targ

Targeted Magic: 655 19.92% learning

Time Development Points: 485 Favors: 7 Deaths: 406
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
prep gz
>
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
Icy blue frost crackles up your arms with the ferocity of a blizzard as you begin to prepare the Gar Zeng spell!
>cast

* Moving with powerful grace, a mottled westanuryn claws at you. You evade, moving out of the way.
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
Three blasts of electricity arc from you to it!
Tendrils of smoke rise from its scorched chest.
Wisps of smoke rise into the air as its nose is scorched.
A mottled westanuryn gags and coughs as sparks chase each other around its neck in an electrifying dance.
R>prep gz

Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
Icy blue frost crackles up your arms with the ferocity of a blizzard as you begin to prepare the Gar Zeng spell!
R>cast

A mottled westanuryn howls in pain as sparks chase each other across its abdomen in an electrifying dance.
R>prep gz

>
* Moving in with powerful grace, a mottled westanuryn claws at you. You evade, stepping aside in the nick of time.
[You're solidly balanced and in good position.]
>cast

The first blast deflects off a mottled westanuryn's heavily plated hide!
R>prep gz

R>cast

R>prep gz

>cast

Tendrils of smoke rise from its scorched back.
A mottled westanuryn howls in pain as sparks chase each other across its chest in an electrifying dance.
R>
* Moving like a striking snake and under increasing pressure, a mottled westanuryn claws at you. You dodge, moving cleanly out of the way.
prep gz
R>
>cast

Tendrils of smoke rise from its scorched back.
R>prep gz

>
* Moving with powerful grace, a mottled westanuryn claws at you. You evade, stepping aside.
>cast

A mottled westanuryn howls in pain as sparks chase each other across its abdomen in an electrifying dance.
Wisps of smoke rise into the air as its nose is scorched.
R>prep gz

>cast

A mottled westanuryn recoils from the powerful shock to its throat.
A mottled westanuryn howls in pain as sparks chase each other across its back in an electrifying dance.
R>prep gz

A mottled westanuryn freezes suddenly, the wiry hairs on its legs twitching almost imperceptibly.
>cast

The mottled westanuryn is barely stunned!
A mottled westanuryn throws both claws skywards as it collapses onto itself.

R>exp targ

Targeted Magic: 655 20.18% muddled

i even pulsed in between checking my mindsate of TM so it should have been more like perplexing...

consider yourself proved wrong. oh and have a nice day :D
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 11:25 AM CDT
Amazing. That really says nothing about my experience with the spell, eh?

Thank you, come again.

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:20 PM CDT
<<Amazing. That really says nothing about my experience with the spell, eh?

Thank you, come again.>>

amazing... i figured after you saw that i am working with probably 10 times the target magic you are you would see which method is better. BUT I GUESS YOU MISSED THE POINT.

PS ANY TIME U NEED MORE TRUTHS ABOUT OUR SPELLS AND OR GUILD JUST ASK AND I'LL GLADLY TAKE YOU IN AS MY APPRENTICE THX BAI
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:35 PM CDT
All you did was demonstrate how the spell teaches you with 655 ranks of TM and the attendant stats. It says nothing about how the spell teaches with significantly lower skill and stats.

I'll say the same thing I said to Kyn:

>>Let me make my point as simple as possible. By casting at higher preps, I lock my TM faster and using less mana than I would spend by using smaller preps repeatedly. For my purposes, this means I learn better using my method.

>>If you're going into the amount any individual creature will teach, that is a completely seperate issue, and the discussion, however innaccurate, will then be divorced from my experience, which includes my purpose in doing things a certain way.

In otherwords, you're fooling yourself if you think that you can tell me a 'better' way of doing things, because of the current magic I have access to, this is the method that locks it fastest. It is NOT the most efficient per creature method.

Is that clear?

PS: If your last post was any guide, put your next one in conflicts and save the BMs the trouble of moving it for you.

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:40 PM CDT
Significantly lower TM is taught well by alot of small casts aswell, 63 TM 115 PM I get alot more expereince from snaping GZ then fully preping. DO you want a log?

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:44 PM CDT
In case you forgot this is what me proving you wrong was about.

<<<<Also, you're not going to learn very well if you prep a GZ at low mana and cast it. The reason multi-shot spells teach so well is the concept of overkill - you are dealing more damage than the creature has vitality, so you learn more TM. Try using GZ at higher mana - I prep at 5, target, harness 5 mana 3 times, path focus damage, and cast. I learned in blood wolves even with terrible mana that way.>>You

I would prove you wrong but i just dont have the energy right now. >> Me

The top statement is the one i said i'd prove wrong, and i did. You lose, I'm the winner. thx again
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:47 PM CDT
Again, you are entirely missing the point. I don't care about efficiency. All I care about is learning as fast as possible using as little mana as possible. Once I move to a hunting ground where creatures don't swarm nearly as often, guess what? I'll change my method of TM learning. But in hunting grounds like blood wolves, vines/creepers, peccaries, and the northern section of Ker'Leor (when there's a lot of people), it doesn't really pay to milk every last bit of experience when there are plenty of other critters to kill.

I'm done repeating myself. If you're not going to read the entirety of my posts, I'm not going to waste time posting to try and make my point, which has already been made twice previously. If you want to argue more, I recommend you go back and actually read my earlier posts, particularily the two most recent ones.

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:52 PM CDT
>I don't care about efficiency.

>All I care about is learning as fast as possible using as little mana as possible

Translation: efficiency

~Aramil Galanodel

P.S. - Prostitution is wrong, mmkay?
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:53 PM CDT
rofl

you beat me to it :(
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 12:55 PM CDT
Actually, the BMs beat us both to it. Aparently painting Prostitution in anything other than a negative light is... oh wait.. you mean the efficiency thing. <cough>
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 01:09 PM CDT

>I don't care about efficiency.

>All I care about is learning as fast as possible using as little mana as possible

Translation: efficiency

ouch.....tssssssssssss

Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 02:11 PM CDT
I guess olesh gave up on not trying to sound dumb.
Re: TM Training 05/22/2004 03:44 PM CDT
There's more than one kind of efficiency. If you wish to continue on this vein, by all means, continue. But take it to conflicts.