Re: Yep... it's another post soliciting TM training advice! 03/28/2006 05:39 PM CST
there are, but it requires going to the islands.

snobs lvl 1

swains

ratha sewer rats(can't remember what they are right now)

And I haven't capped in sandies yet, already +116, but swains would be for weapons

young/scout ogres

swampies slaughs

gargs.

a whole list yes, but maras do go 120-160~
Re: Yep... it's another post soliciting TM training advice! 03/28/2006 10:29 PM CST
>>ratha sewer rats(can't remember what they are right now)

Kra'hei hatchlings.

Te What To Hunt Chart, link in my signature, is a fairly useful bit of information.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
TM-warmies 04/03/2006 08:47 AM CDT
I am new to this world-so bear with me.I am trying to train Tm efficently but seem to be at a standstill. Is there any inside tricks of the trade i might be able to push my TM faster. MY combat skills are all relative to what i need to hunt. I don't want to hunt anything larger without getting my combat skills being at that given level for fear of death.I try to keep my combat skills close to my TM.any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Re: TM-warmies 04/03/2006 10:04 AM CDT
Hmmm,

Not a whole lot of information to work on (such as where you hunt, what circle you are, what your combat skills are, etc), but ...

Here are some general suggestions.

1) Increase your power perception so that you can cast TM spells over and over for longer periods of time without running out of mana.

2) Hunt natural critters (i.e. no weapons or shields) since they tend to have more stamina than weapon using critters of the same level and they only rely on evasion.

3) Aethereal Pathways were invented to help the lower circle warrior mages during the tough time of training TM (yes, you are not alone in having problems training TM at early circles).

4) Is it a question of not hitting the critter? Not doing enough damage when you do hit? Consider raising discipline and/or agility a few points each.

5) If it is a problem where you had no trouble learning TM when you first moved to the hunting area, but are now finding it hard to get the skill up past muddled, then you have to ask yourself is it difficult to circle because of it? Meaning, are you needing ranks in TM to circle, or is it just weapons/lore/magic? You may just want to focus on defensive skills and weapons for a bit so that you can move on to the next level of critters without getting ripped apart.

6) Dying is a part of a warrior mage's life. Don't let that discourage you if you are hindering your TM learning because of it.

There are a few other considerations, but they become more specific for each person. But, with the little you gave us to work on, those 6 points above may have provided a solution.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: TM-warmies 04/03/2006 11:51 AM CDT
>>I am new to this world-so bear with me.I am trying to train Tm efficently but seem to be at a standstill. Is there any inside tricks of the trade i might be able to push my TM faster. MY combat skills are all relative to what i need to hunt. I don't want to hunt anything larger without getting my combat skills being at that given level for fear of death.I try to keep my combat skills close to my TM.any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You're being smart in keeping your defenses close to your magic: That means you won't be up a creek without a paddle if you should run out of mana.

Trebber's right in that training Power Preception helps, a lot. My top char has well over 200 in that, and well over 300 in PM and Harness- and she almost never taps out. And she can cast a lot of spells in rooms that most of her guildmates would consider unworkable.

Another thing that you'll want to remember is that some critters are resistant to some elements. For instance my war mage's training spell of choice is Gar Zeng. But if she's hunting grendels aether lance is much more effective. And if you're hunting in a watery area, you'll find that fire spells are less effective than water or aether.

If your RP is that you are a specific kind of mage (IE a fire mage, a water mage, and so on), you will have more of a challenge and will have to be a bit pickier about your prey. It also helps if you prep just a bit over the minimum so you can punch through a critters Magic Resistance.

Good luck!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Moving TM around 1400 02/19/2007 12:11 PM CST
Hi- I am a Warrior Mage from Prime and am having a hard time keeping my TM moving around 1400.

I am currently hunting Westies and was having success with Chain Lightning at max-prep.

Anyone have some pointers for me?

Thanks in advance
Re: Moving TM around 1400 02/19/2007 12:15 PM CST
Your problem is flex, there is non 150s there that are bringind down the flex.... kill them all and you should learn fine. :P
Re: Moving TM around 1400 02/19/2007 01:59 PM CST
<<I am a Warrior Mage from Prime and am having a hard time keeping my TM moving around 1400.

I hate you. :-P
Re: Moving TM around 1400 02/19/2007 02:01 PM CST
>>I hate you. :-P

Wait till you get to 14,000 target magic, then it gets really tough. It takes me sixteen years to gain a rank.

You are Malkien, a dashing Barbarian. Huzzah!
You are Apis, a legendary Cleric in your own head.
You are Ragesong. What sort of Kaldar is a Bard, anyways, doofus?
You are also Pellazan (WM), Essatariol (Ranger) and running out of sig space.
Re: Moving TM around 1400 02/26/2007 09:24 PM CST
Don't hate...I'm sorry I am the man, but I can't help it.
Being a Warmie with 1K evasion tends to put you at or near the top of the food chain...

But in all seriousness, my intense roleplaying has distracted me from keeping up to date on what TM spells teach best.

It used to be machine-gunning GZ, then huge Fire Shards, then CL... Has anything else changed in the TM learning department?

Any advice is most appreciated. Now, I must go back to playing ATK.

The big D

ps How's this for a TERT skill:
Circle: 150
SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Skinning: 998 22.75% bewildering
Time Development Points: 2879 Favors: 5 Deaths: 645
Overall state of mind: clear
Re: Moving TM around 1400 03/31/2007 06:08 PM CDT
Man you TF guys are hilarious.
Re: Moving TM around 1400 03/31/2007 08:27 PM CDT
Thats funny.. since this is about a prime WM, not a TF one...
Re: Moving TM around 1400 04/03/2007 12:50 AM CDT
really? Thats not dealvo? all those jokes about going to roleplay and playing atk I was misreading? I didnt realize prime WMs had 1400 TM and 1000 evasion. =/

I could have sworn Dewok82= Dealvo and Pirateking= Arumon
I could be wrong.
Re: Moving TM around 1400 04/03/2007 06:12 PM CDT
>exp target
Target Magic: 129.00% concentrating
>ponder 1400
Gilart ponders 1400
>fire gil
Gilart puts crossbow to head and pulls trigger..

Player of Gilart and Olatio
FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 01:40 PM CDT
(I posted this in the magic folder as well, but thought you WM's might have something additional to add)

Would it be worth buying a bunch of Fire Shard Runes to train TM as a ranger with no TM spells?

I want to train my TM ranks to at least 100 and have so far obtained ~35 ranks from listening to classes.

Could I use FS runes to lock TM at these ranks and how far would I be able to continue to lock TM with a FS rune? Also, what creatures should I be hunting using FS at these ranks? Plenty of PM, agility, reflex, etc... just TM is very low since I'm a ranger.

Thanks.
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 01:55 PM CDT
From my experience, you'll need to have a LOT of the runestones to use them as effective tools for training TM because you have to be able to cast the spells quite frequently.

-Durnil
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 02:39 PM CDT
If there are GZ runestones I'd recommend these instead. I know there used to be.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 02:50 PM CDT
<<If there are GZ runestones I'd recommend these instead. I know there used to be.

<<Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage

Cool, thanks man. I'll buy a couple and see. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes.
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 02:53 PM CDT
>>I'll buy a couple and see.

Actually... I'm not sure if there are runes of these... not from what I can find anyway... just a charm, but I'm assuming that was a fest item?

There are FireBALL wands or something though, might that be better than FS?
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 02:54 PM CDT
Read in the other spot you posted, someone said the name of the rune, something like zagnatha or something like that. Used to be available on Ratha.

Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 03:11 PM CDT
<<Read in the other spot you posted, someone said the name of the rune, something like zagnatha or something like that. Used to be available on Ratha.

Ah okay, did some checking... seems the Zengalmi Bullwhip Charm - Gar Zeng(Elemental) is sold in the magic shop on Ratha (I forgot about that place). Thanks again for the help. Not sure I'll be going to Ratha anytime soon... I hate boats. :( But when/if I do I'll be getting some of those charms.

Only downside is that the charm costs about 10 times more than a FS runestone.
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 04:31 PM CDT
>Only downside is that the charm costs about 10 times more than a FS runestone.

I'm not sure, as I don't have access to a bullwhip charm, but generally charms and jewelry have 15 charges each as opposed to the 6 or so on a runestone.

Fuquois
Re: FS Runes and TM training 04/29/2007 04:47 PM CDT
>>but generally charms and jewelry have 15 charges each as opposed to the 6 or so on a runestone.

Ah, that would make things a little better in terms of cost then. Thanks for the info.
Re: FS Runes and TM training 05/09/2007 06:16 PM CDT
I used the runes for a long while for my training. 4 charges per rune, bout 2 gold per rune. Ues hb (though granted now it doesn't give quite the penalty to your target that it used to). I'd also throw in some naphtha that I'd stolen for kicks though the downside is that it burns all the webs away.

Be careful putting in too much mana into the fireshard. FS is one of the most annoying spells to use to train as a non elemental user because elemental and life mana are not friends. With a min prep I never blow my arms off. With lots of harnessed mana I'd say it happens every other hunting trip. This leads you to want to cast lots of low prep snaps, however that in turn drives your exp based off damage way down, and increases the number of casts you need to lock, therefore the amount of money you'll spend.

Though a combo of runes and scrolls I've managed to train my TM as a ranger up to 140. Not too shabby, but its definitely not quick and easy.
Feel free to IM if you got anymore questions about us rangerly TM slinging types.

Jalika
AIM - SpiffDR

>You've gained a new rank in your ability to steal.
Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 02:22 PM CDT
I haven't been dong this war mage thing for a week yet, and I seem to be at a wall with TM. I know I'm doing something wrong, because I only have 28 pathetic ranks in it. I've tried casting weak TM spells fast, and charging up spells to the point of only being able to cast 4 times before I gotta recharge the batteries. I can't seem to get above thoughtful. I am currently hunting goblins. I need advice to stop sucking.
Dewok82, I'm looking at you. Nice to know you still play.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 02:32 PM CDT
28 ranks is near the cap of goblins, if I remember correctly. It sounds like it's time to move on to poths, badgers, and trollkin.

-Durnil
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 02:34 PM CDT
Try moving to Badgers and Pothaints and Trollkins. Generally when your TM learning starts to slow down, it's time to move

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 03:51 PM CDT
I personally skipped from unarmed gobs up to cougars, at around 35 ranks.

Bit risky, totally doable, great TM learning.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 05:48 PM CDT
Cap for which gobs?

haven gobs teach to 40

west gate gobs teach to 50

shard gobs teach to 60

This opinion brought to you by soylent green. Results will very from person to person.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/01/2007 10:59 PM CDT
I went from gobs at 35 to trollkins to woodies and grendel all about the snap casting and good armor skill
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/02/2007 01:17 AM CDT
<<west gate gobs teach to 50

No one is gonna be locking TM in xing goblins at 50 ranks. Thoughtful maybe.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/02/2007 01:22 AM CDT
For once, I agree with RX. If you really try hard, you can get TM to 50 in gobs, but why would you do that?

-Durnil
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/02/2007 09:41 AM CDT
>>snap casting

Since the change to magic several months ago, snap casting no longer does the damage that a full target does, as it always should have been. Since TM experience is damage-based, and attunement is a valuable commodity at smaller circles, it may be better to target and wait a couple seconds--if not for full target--before casting. In theory, this should net you more experience without tanking your attunement. Standard disclaimers, etc.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/02/2007 09:22 PM CDT
>>For once, I agree with RX. If you really try hard, you can get TM to 50 in gobs, but why would you do that?

So you don't have to try to train defenses on a tougher critter?

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/03/2007 01:27 AM CDT
It appears that I was focusing on magic way more than combat. I am finding that while it's challenging to get above thoughtful in TM in gobs, they can still put a hurtin' on me if they get close enough to. Need to work on that little problem before I can move up to better critters for TM without getting shredded. The input was helpful though. Thanks everybody. :)
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/03/2007 06:55 AM CDT
>>For once, I agree with RX. If you really try hard, you can get TM to 50 in gobs, but why would you do that?
So you don't have to try to train defenses on a tougher critter?
Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
- Sima Yi

That's why you take TM as far as you can, then let your defenses/weapons catch up then move on

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/05/2007 01:12 AM CDT
<<That's why you take TM as far as you can, then let your defenses/weapons catch up then move on

Heh. Many WMs have a hard time understanding this simple concept. Especially with pre-tweak CL.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/05/2007 02:29 PM CDT
I agree that you are near the top of what the goblins can teach you in TM. I trained TM to about 45 in pots and badgers, and if you should run out of mana the critters shouldn't chew on you too badly.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/05/2007 06:03 PM CDT
All right! Time for badgers and pothanits! Maybe Even cougars... Though I think my appraisal of that musk hog down there was slightly inaccurate... I hope. :)

Fighting with a scimitar and holding a target shield, you think it is likely that the musk hog is a mythical being of immense power and ability.
Re: Difficulty training TM 07/05/2007 06:13 PM CDT
Yep, appraisal was off. I have no clue if this is right about the bolds. Can't find the help info.

>Fighting with a scimitar and holding a target shield, [B]you think[/B] it is likely that the musk hog is a mythical being of immense power and ability.