Re: TM training 04/09/2004 08:28 PM CDT
The way I learn currently (at 82 ranks, myself) is go to wherever (sand sprites, bone wolves, vines, zombie kobold savages) and close to pole or melee.. .then prep gz 4, cast, prep gz 4, cast, prep gz 4, cast. I don't target. It's a waste of time, if you cask me. Takes me about 12-15 casts on sprites, vines, or savages to lock. Bone wolves take slightly more.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 08:36 PM CDT
As a curiosity. about how much swimming is needed to reach the sand sprites?

- Moto, Fyre-Cat

MINE! MINE! MINE! Get away from my swag! - Soim
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 08:56 PM CDT
Not even near too much. I have 32 ranks.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 08:59 PM CDT
that hopeful...I was out there with 20 and couldnt get anywhere

- Moto, Fyre-Cat

Re: TM training 04/09/2004 09:01 PM CDT
What was your burden? If I am burdened or more, I can't get sw from the gap. But even with Overwhelming burden, I can get ne from the cave.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 09:11 PM CDT
hmm...seems I have a heavy burden...Have to unload something...

- Moto, Fyre-Cat

Re: TM training 04/09/2004 09:35 PM CDT
Not sure why it works for you and not for me, but that method of training TM doesn't seem to teach anything. I mean, I go from clear to learning, but after 40+ consecutive casts I'm still only learning. My exact rank is between walls.

My other thought was that maybe I've soft capped them, but doing it my old way I can still get thoughtful-pondering (in a really good swarm), but my weapon is 4 ranks higher than TM and locks after 2-3 caiman.

I'm gonna go to blood wolves and see if I get any difference.
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 09:43 PM CDT
May I suggest the bone wolves in Leth or the morah vines in Ker'Leor? The blood wolves don't teach me very well at all. Nor did the caimans.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 09:48 PM CDT
<<May I suggest the bone wolves in Leth or the morah vines in Ker'Leor? The blood wolves don't teach me very well at all. Nor did the caimans.

Bone wolves are easier than blood wolves.
Re: TM training 04/09/2004 11:08 PM CDT
This is true. But bone wolves will still lock my TM using the method I mentioned while blood wolves don't. The best thing, of course, would be to go out to Ratha and use the sand sprites if you can stand in there without getting shredded.

~Aramil Galanodel
Re: TM training 04/16/2004 01:55 PM CDT
the method of training tm u guys r talking about with GZ still teaches me at 600+ TM. took like 8-10 10 prep casts to lock from muddled.
Re: TM training 04/22/2004 09:54 AM CDT
So you don't have to target GZ to have it teach TM? Interesting..

Celestica moves a stone mortar labeled "NotCelestiaa" to his right hand.

You tap a hollow ram's horn labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
Re: TM training 04/22/2004 10:03 AM CDT
Just a general target works well.

Mheereia

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: TM training 04/22/2004 10:27 AM CDT
actually in dryads and nyads right now just prepping and casting GZ, done about 5-6 casts and its already pondering which is alot faster then targeting and such. Seems you don't ahve to target to get TM, seems rather odd.

TM Help 04/22/2004 11:57 AM CDT
Ok I thought I was doing good but i'm having extreame trouble getting it to muddled nevertheless locked

here are my stats maybe soenoe could help

In the chapter entitled "Aether Manipulation," you have notes on the Ethereal Shield [es] spell.

In the chapter entitled "Electricity Manipulation," you have notes on the Arc Light [al] and Gar Zeng [gz] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Fire Manipulation," you have notes on the Fire Shard [fs] and Fire Ball [fb] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Air Manipulation," you have notes on the Zephyr and Swirling Winds [sw] spells.

Primary Magic: 47 99% very muddled Harness Ability: 48 81% bewildering
Power Perceive: 59 19% thoughtful Magical Devices: 58 39% learning
Targeted Magic: 46 06% pondering

Strength : 14 Reflex : 18
Agility : 14 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 14
Intelligence : 11 Stamina : 12
Favors: 3
Concentration: 23 Max: 23
TDPs: 40
Encumbrance: None

Currently I am Fully Prep Gz at 4, FUlly targetting then harnessing 7 mana using damage pathway and casting.

This works a little bit but it really does nothing compaired to what my weapons/defense/primary magic is getting and I tend to run low on mana at about concentrating or pondering. I am currently hutning Nyads and Dryads and I was hearing popele around 44TM locking there easy. Does anyone have any tips based on my stats and skills that would help me lock this better i'm havnig super hard trouble with it.

Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 12:57 PM CDT
Primary Magic: 47 99% very muddled Harness Ability: 48 81% bewildering
Power Perceive: 59 19% thoughtful Magical Devices: 58 39% learning
Targeted Magic: 46 06% pondering
Strength : 14 Reflex : 18
Agility : 14 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 14
Intelligence : 11 Stamina : 12
Favors: 3
Concentration: 23 Max: 23
TDPs: 40

Item one- There is a war on so get more favors.

Item two- You are fairly close to capping in nyads and dryads- so if you have the defenses for it, find more challenging prey. I suggest beisswurms, goblin shamans of Haven (the rams are what will move you here), or if you're an estate holdeer over the stile behind Baearolt's Tavern. You could get a bit more out of the water sprites and lipopods too, but it would be slow going.

Good luck!

Mheereia

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 01:00 PM CDT
On the other hand, unless you plan on retreating a lot, you'll want to work on your defenses where you are a bit more before you move on. Again, good luck!

Mheereia

Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 01:31 PM CDT
1) I love your reflexes
2) More stamina might help with swinging weapons...who cares about mentals for now?

But you asked about TM...

>On the other hand, unless you plan on retreating a lot, you'll want to work on your defenses where you are a bit more before you move on

Word. Your TM is currently 75% greater than your evasion. Yeah, evasion goes slow...Your parry looks a lot better. I'd sit in cougars or goblins and work that evasion for a bit (or maybe nyads/dryads...i don't know this area very well).

If just sitting there working evasion is boring, consider working shiled too. Or maybe stealth. Both come in handy in PvP and wars/invasions. Can always pick up another weapon too....but it looks like you're allready on top of this one.

Getting some extra defense ranks will help with that armor hinderance too. With currently less than 30 in both chains, and the armor mixing penalty, I'm guessing you've got a nice amount of hinderance now. Retreating might even still be tough. Those early ranks of armor will help alot with a variety of stuff (retreating, evading, swimming, hiding, stalking, stealing).

As for the creature ladder with my TF barb I went rats -> gobs -> cougars(until upper 30s) -> eels(until low 50s or upper 40s) -> reavers/hounds -> beisswurms.

Cougars might not swarm enough for your TM. If you can get eels swarming (i had trouble in TF) and you can survive (could be tough), it's possible that you can pick up weapons/TM exp while still getting those defense ranks you so direly need. Once defenses are caught up, I'd give reavers/hounds a try. They can swarm decently. Reavers shields can be a pain for TM/ranged users, but not too big a deal. Down the shaft in reavers it's dark so...1)makes training stealth easier 2)can make scripting harder cause no "asses". Beisswurms seem great after that as they swarm alot and use no shield.

But yeah, get those defenses (evasion) up.

Tessaa
Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 03:19 PM CDT
Very good advice so far.

<<With currently less than 30 in both chains, and the armor mixing penalty, I'm guessing you've got a nice amount of hinderance now.

The armor mixing penalty does not affect same types of armor (i.e. light and heavy chain -- no penalty, light and heavy plate -- no penalty)

<<Cougars might not swarm enough for your TM. If you can get eels swarming

True about the cougars. The eels, however, swarm very nicely from what I hear. Never fought there myself though.

<<But yeah, get those defenses (evasion) up.

I whole heartedly agree with this one. Defenses are big if you wish to continue training TM at a decent pace. Yes, the circles come quickly at lower levels without working defenses, but they are slow going at higher circles if you don't have the defenses to stand toe-to-toe with the critters you fight.

Trebber
Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 04:35 PM CDT
hmm thanks for the advice, I currently keep Multi, HE, ME LC, Evasion, and PAry constantly locked while hunting in Dryads Nyads simply by dancing I don't even have to swing my weapons I can lock both by parrying. Right now I'm able to dance with 5 of them without getting touched with my defenses aswell, I'm assuming it's because of my Multi and Reflex. Evasion I ahve been trying to get up and even though it is ALWAY locked while I work TM and TM is constantly pondering during this time TM moves faster because its a primary skill set, so unless I just sit there and not take advantage of the TM trainnig, which is prety pointless, i'm not having any trouble at all locking evasion while I keep TM pondering. My probalem is that I can go to things higher up and still be able to dance Armor also being tert it is the same state as evaqsion( always locked while TM is pondering) so it's not like i'm not working those skills. TM simply moves faster at pondering then they do at Mind Lock which is true because even my barb with 150 Mech moves slower at Locked then my 2HE will with way more then double the ranks at like concentrating. So my question is this, and which I was planning on doing, Dryads and Nyads aren't even close to capping my defenses or weapons at all, Should I just keep with the sloew TM and just work defenses till they cap there? I can keep them all locked very easily, secondly I dropped HC as a secondary because I realized Armors are tert for WM's and they are going to go extreamly slow and hence it might be alot easier to just stick to all LC since it's lighter and work on that. How does that work for WMs? My barb has almost 300 leather and 150 in LP HP HC LC but it's easy for her to wear a set of LP HP HC and LC while still hunting at the top of her level without getting the crap kicked out of her. My WM however seems to benefit from teh single armor because it is a tert, thoughts?
Also I wasn't planning on getting my strength or Stamina up to much more simply because I can easily lock both weaopns and sometiems LE by just parrying and I don't have bad RT's on ME anyways 4/4/4 and 6/6/6 on HE which is dealable, its not lowest but I don't need to cut through things with the way GZ takes out the dryads and Nyads, i'll increase it later when I need it. I was thinking mainly focus on Discipline reflex and agility. Now last question I promise, does agility effect the accuracy of TM spells? and is it worth while to get alot of it for that purpose alone? I plan on getting a decent amount ofr weapon accuracy/RT but I was wondering if it helped here aswell.

thanks.

Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 05:27 PM CDT
<<Dryads and Nyads aren't even close to capping my defenses or weapons at all, Should I just keep with the sloew TM and just work defenses till they cap there?

Here is a good rule of thumb I go by. Others have different views.

What is the max number of Dryads you can have on you before the others start to leave the room? When training defenses, I always dance with one or two less and fire shard the others that come in. As long as critters come into your room, you are working TM and keeping your defenses locked. When I finally get to the point where I can easily dance with one less, then I move on to another hunting spot. When I get to the new hunting spot, I drop down to dancing with two critters and slowly work my way back up. This makes my training more defense focused than circle focused.

<<secondly I dropped HC as a secondary because I realized Armors are tert for WM's and they are going to go extreamly slow and hence it might be alot easier to just stick to all LC since it's lighter and work on that. How does that work for WMs?

Chain is a good armor choice for WMs. You will not pick up a penalty by mixing LC and HC. I would train both for the TDPs and for the fact that armor is going to be rewritten and the advantages of LC over HC is going to be reduced. Options are good to have in a game which is continuously changing. I personally train all 5 armors at the same time. I have a very nice combination going at the moment and I keep all 5 locked while in combat. It will be very painful until you get over 100 in each (or until you can cast YS).

<<does agility effect the accuracy of TM spells?

For the defender it does. For the caster, you need to work on discipline. However, I have yet to notice any difficulty with casting at level with a balanced set of stats.

Keep the questions coming.

Trebber
Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 06:56 PM CDT
Thanks for helping a magic Impaired Barbarian <grin>

Re: TM Help 04/22/2004 07:50 PM CDT
>>Thanks for helping a magic Impaired Barbarian <grin>

Welcome to the light, may you bask in its glory til the end of days.

Kelyan
Re: TM Help 04/24/2004 10:27 AM CDT
I've not been playing a WM for years or anything, but I can tell you what worked for me. Like I've said, the prep, cast, prep, cast etc. technique worked. But only on certain creatures would it actually lock my TM. I think I struggled for a while (before I learned that this worked). Then I started doing it on jackals. Then I found the meadow rams, then bone wolves, and now sand sprites. The undead kobolds in Shard teach well, and so do the vines in Ker'Leor, but they're both a smidgeon out of my league, melee-wise. It'll take a little travelling from one of the creatures to another, but it's worth it if that's what it takes to progress.

~Aramil Galanodel of M'Riss
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 09:19 AM CDT
What you are basically talking about is snap casting, which some Mages do, some don't. At a certain circle..usually around..13th, snap casting becomes an easier way of learning TM. If your in the Caiman level, I would seriously take a walk over to blood wolfs and try them out, bone wolfs don't come quick enough unless you feel like sitting out on that trail and waiting. In Lang/Theren area there are the blood wolfs that you can hunt up to I believe Sand Sprite level, then hop over to Ratha and hunt the Sprites. But its quite possible to just move from Blood Wolfs to Vines, and then from Vines to Marauders, Marauders to Peccs.

I actually just stopped hunting Peccs cause I got bored and moves to Aesry...mmmm The Unyns are good huntin.

~Laurieana

....<insert witty and sarcastic comment here>
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 10:12 AM CDT
Blood Wolves and Sprites will teach you to roughly the same skill level; Sprites swarm a great deal more and are individually less dangerous. They also tend to drop decent treasure for their level and a great many boxes. My locksmith character has popped in excess of 100 boxes at a time for people in Ratha. My warrior mage hasn't bothered with the trip since blood wolves teach better.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
-- Sir Anthony Marks, "One Enchanted Evening"
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 12:32 PM CDT
chuckle my barb can haul out of there 700+ boxes a day when working staffsling and Short staff. Not to mention a couple plat in just the coins they drop. but thats like 5 hours of straight no resting slaughter fest.

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 01:41 PM CDT
Generally, it's not considered possible to carry 700 boxes.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 02:07 PM CDT
>>Generally, it's not considered possible to carry 700 boxes.

Not all at one time to be sure ;) But there is- or was- a safe area or perhaps two in sand sprites. When I was hunting there I would load up all the boxes I could carry, head to a safe area, and pop to my heart's content. Then I would hunt and load up some more.

Ryeka

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 04:49 PM CDT
>chuckle my barb can haul out of there 700+ boxes a day when working staffsling and Short staff. Not to mention a couple plat in just the coins they drop. but thats like 5 hours of straight no resting slaughter fest.

Hmm...and what ranks did you start in there?

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 04:50 PM CDT
naw I just leav'em all on the ground but ussualy they get wiped by the janitor every 100 or so but it's round that many perday if you are slaughtering

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 08:49 PM CDT
ermm she's like 60+ Circle she jes playing with baby weapons, min is like 50-60 in your weapon to start knocken'em around if thats what ya mean?

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 09:26 PM CDT
I did 'contract work', so to speak. I would walk in there with five duffel bags and a backpack (three shoulders, two hands, one back), carry out something like 70 boxes, pop them, cash in, note the total cash, take percentage plus cost of broken picks, rinse, repeat. Granted, the system I worked under I wouldn't recommend to everyone, but it beats the heck out of losing 100 boxes to the janitor.

With a helper (dragger), I could be done with 100 boxes in under 15 minutes. Very lucrative work, for unskilled locksmithing.

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 09:56 PM CDT
Well I can pop them myself with my barb but liek 13 locks her up pretty well and its secondary skill set so doesn't pulse super fast and I can get the boxes faster then I can pop them effciently.....<shrug> I let the janitor keep'em grin

Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 11:34 PM CDT
>I let the janitor keep'em grin

DR is all about the skills not the coin. For me at least.

Tessaa
Re: TM Help 04/27/2004 11:58 PM CDT
Disarm and locks are the only reasons I can see anyone would go to sand sprites, if they weren't interested in money. Blood wolves don't swarm quite as much, but are natural critters and teach evasion and weapons much more easily. They both cap around the same area, too. From blood wolves you can go straight to mines; there's a bit of a jump between sprites and swain. Silver leucros don't really fill the gap.

Re: TM Help 04/28/2004 12:29 AM CDT
Well I keep the skills to my barb my Warmage is Fer Roleplaying, My red Sash Swashbucklin Kitty Warmage Pirate har!

Re: TM Help 04/28/2004 12:33 AM CDT
>My red Sash Swashbucklin Kitty Warmage Pirate har!

Pirates are passe.

Vikings are cool now.

Tessaa
Re: TM Help 04/28/2004 12:34 AM CDT
Never! har ye scroungy Barnacle put up ye dukes!

TM training 05/09/2004 05:00 PM CDT
I'm a 9th circle warmie in need of some advice. I have all the ranks I need to circle to 11 but TM; however, I can't seem to find a good way to train it. Enemies that are at my level, skillwise, don't seem to move it past pondering unless I stand in the area for a good hour or more (time I don't really have). Enemies above my skill level also don't seem to move it quickly, and frequently I'll be firing off low mana shards to my heart's content when a fourth enemy will enter the room and I go to near death pretty quickly, with only a panic button SD saving my behind.

My usual training method goes like this: stand in a room, prepping 2 mana fireshards with a 1 second target time over and over. Is there a better method? And with 39 multi, how do I deal with the fact that wood trolls, cougars, and grendels completely destroy me in a swarm?

Here are my exact stats:

Str: 11
Agil: 11
Reflex: 16
Stamina: 13

HE: 39
Parry: 36
Multi: 39
Evasion: 32

Thanks for any help,
Jameinleipen