Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
Comments 10/29/2003 02:04 PM CST
My mother told me that my first words were "Power of Attorney", thus that's why I debate a lot. Anyway...

I have read the Paladin Code. As Drongol mentioned, it really hasn't changed anything, as you can see in this statement:

<<If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of his conscience

The paladin guild, being a guild of justice, I do find Chadatru worship appropriate. However, I find this statement to be misleading:

<<Serving another god or gods is possible for a Paladin provided that the path that he follows does not work against Good or Justice.

Justice is neither good, nor evil. It simply is.

Theorhetically (msp), if a player does harm or something sacreligous to an altar of a Dark god, the Paladin can take up the defense of a Dark god in the name of justice.

Light and Dark gods are in a sense irrelevent to the Good and Evil actions. An evil action is done with intent and malice. A good action is one done out of goodness. Thus, if Hodierna starts an unprovoked attack on Aldauth, according to justice, the paladin can defend Aldauth. Now, of course, that will probably never happen. But in theory, you know where you stand.

I think it is very dangerous to throw around the words "good" with justice, because sometimes they can be conflicting.

--Vyraka--

Gorbesh Checks and Balances Department
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 02:12 PM CST
<Theorhetically (msp), if a player does harm or something sacreligous to an altar of a Dark god, the Paladin can take up the defense of a Dark god in the name of justice.>

AYUP. In fact, i'd go so far as to say he should and must.

I am...

THE CONDUCTOR
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 08:56 PM CST
To say that Justice is neutral is to say that it does not favor one thing over another. However, if we view Justice as a force that maintains the ever turning machine of life, and that life is preferrable to not-life, then Justice is good. So there. Justice = Good. Now who wants to take bets as to who proves me wrong, and Drongol doesn't count.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 09:18 PM CST
<<Drongol doesn't count.>>

Just for that, I'll have to do it.

<<However, if we view Justice as a force that maintains the ever turning machine of life, and that life is preferrable to not-life>>

Life is not necessarily valuable in and of itself. The life of a serial killer or otherwise dangerous individual (such as Sura) is worthless, whereas the life of an "innocent" may be said to have higher value. I won't get into a debate on the ethics of capital punishment, but it is safe to say that such things are, in fact, supported by DR. Witness the abortive Treasonist event.

Additionally, "justice" is an ephemeral concept that is extremely difficult to nail down. To use an example from comic books (yes, I know, I'm a geek), Captain America is a "law" sort of guy, whereas Batman is a "justice" kind of guy. Cap will follow the letter of the law and deal with criminals as he CAN to get the job done, whereas Batman willingly breaks the laws (which, afterall, are flawed) to take the criminals out of the picture.

The Law is a murderer going to jail or perhaps being relatively painlessly executed. Justice is allowing the family of a murdered child five minutes alone with the criminal with all kinds of nasty implements and NO ONE WATCHING.

Drongol's Player
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 10:05 PM CST
<<Additionally, "justice" is an ephemeral concept that is extremely difficult to nail down.

Yep yep, I agree with Drongol here. This is actually a pretty deep subject. Justice in its purest form is not easily defined.

As he pointed out, Captain America follows the laws. However, laws are created by a body of individuals. The question is: How diverse is that body? Does that body embrace your beliefs and respect them?

Food for thought...

--Vyraka--

Gorbesh Checks and Balances Department
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 10:17 PM CST
Drongol, I award you 27 points for using Captain America and Batman in a discussion. Unfortunately, there is a 28 point deduction for use of the word "ephemeral". ;-)

Arcelebor
Re: Comments 10/29/2003 11:33 PM CST
>>Justice is allowing the family of a murdered child five minutes alone with the criminal with all kinds of nasty implements and NO ONE WATCHING.

And finding the real killer five months later...yeah.
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 06:05 AM CST
I take it you're Batman Drongol?

Phanton
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 07:31 AM CST
Just a quick reminder:

LAW <> JUSTICE

Laws may be unjust. Justice may be unlawful. Judges sentencing falsely accused persons (discovered at a later time) to the death penalty may be in accordance with the letter of the law, it is not justice. Similarly a judge allowing a child murderer (caught on video tape in the example I'm thinking of) a few years in jail (during which the sub-human gets his masters degree paid for by the tax payers) is in accordance with certain laws, it is NOT justice. If I wait outside the jail on the release date of said criminal to put a bullet in his head when he walks out the doors I am in contravention of certain laws. Am I, in this purely hypothetical situation, guilty of a contravention of justice? If so, justice in who's opinion? The mother of the criminal? The mothers of the deceased children?

Many things are subjective. However, religious, moral, ethical, or otherwise law is not necessarily justice, justice is not necessarily lawful.

More to think on.

Cheers - Cyllwdd (who really isn't a vigilante, really, honest)
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 07:45 AM CST
I'm Batman.

Arcelebor

P.S. - How sweet would that be?

Name: Bruce Wayne (hidden) Race: Human Guild: Crimefighter
You were born on the 2nd day of the 6th month of Arhat the Fire Lion in the year of the Iron Toad, 347 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

Your birthday is over 3 months away.

Strength : 44 Reflex : 44
Agility : 42 Charisma : 25
Discipline : 60 Wisdom : 40
Intelligence : 52 Stamina : 42
Favors: 12
Concentration: 460 Max: 460
TDPs: 563
Encumbrance: None

Coins:
no Kronars.
no Lirums.
10 copper Dokoras.

Circle: 98

Roof-hopping: 390 22% learning Hiding: 498 97% learning
Stalking: 462 25% concentrating Forensics: 659 66% concentrating
Batarangs: 334 08% dazed Ninjitsu: 399 98% learning

Time Development Points: 563 Favors: 12 Deaths: 3
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

> Your mind hears Batman thinking, "Just 2% to rank ninjitsu, 400 ranks here I come!"
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 08:03 AM CST
If he has 60 Disc, and is circle 98, he should have 693 Concentration! You made that character up! Fake! Fake!

DT
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 08:06 AM CST
<<And finding the real killer five months later...yeah.>>

Unlike the real world, there has yet to be any wrong convictions in DR that I know of, at least among PCs. Therefore, the perceived faults of the justice system has nothing to do with this discussion, but thank you for sharing.

<<I take it you're Batman Drongol?>>

Drongol's Player, Phanton, Drongol's Player. Drongol can't type at a keyboard in an OOC forum. That said, no. Drongol's rarely broken any law and has killed a whopping four characters in over six years of playing him. He's mean, he's rude, but he's not a vigilante.

<<However, religious, moral, ethical, or otherwise law is not necessarily justice, justice is not necessarily lawful.>>

This is exactly what I was attempting to get to. Thanks.

Drongol's Player
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 08:35 AM CST
<< If he has 60 Disc, and is circle 98, he should have 693 Concentration! You made that character up! Fake! Fake!

You caught me.

Arcelebor
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 10:06 AM CST
Justice is relative and, therefore, incapable of definition.

Evil is relative and, therefore, incapable of definition.

Good is also relative and, therefore, also incapable of definition.

Laws on the other hand, are not relative, thus they are capable of definition allowing for an actual judgment regarding whether one is acting within or outside of the law.

Laws are not necessarily either good or just, because, as noted, those terms are incapable of definition.

Unfortunately, this part of the code:

>If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of his conscience

Is badly flawed as it discards that which is capable of definition (the law) in favor of concepts that are inherently incapable of definition (evil). It abandons a clear "Bright line" (compliance with the law) for a chasm of relativity and will lead to more disagreements and dissension than it will to a commonly held course of action in any give situation.

Likewise:

>Serving another god or gods is possible for a Paladin provided that the path that he follows does not work against Good or Justice.

Is a "code" that relies totally on relative concepts incapable of definition (Good and Justice), and, again, instead of providing guidance, creates another area where dispute and dissension will rule.

Unfortunately, the "code", although nice to have, is not likely to really clear up any of the questions regarding "Palidinly behaviour" that have plagued this guild since its inception.

Gloryarm
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 12:18 PM CST
<<Justice is neither good, nor evil. It simply is.>>

I agree with you that the concept of justice isn't good or evil, however the way justice is used is. Justice is dictated by the morality of those who make the laws. Those who oppose the lawmakers morality are seen by said lawmakers as being evil or unjust, and as such in need of justice being applied to them. Therefore by default those who are instilling justice are necessarily "good" and those the justice is being levied against are inherantly "evil". This, I think, is why there has been so much argument about light vs. dark equating "good" vs. "evil".

Big as Pebbles, Strong as Talc, Smarter than you, I am - Lennon's Bulldog
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 02:43 PM CST
Whoo, Lennon's on my side. I win.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Re: Comments 10/30/2003 02:45 PM CST
<<Whoo, Lennon's on my side. I win.>>

Gahh! Then I change my position =P

Re: Comments 10/30/2003 04:07 PM CST
>>Justice is dictated by the morality of those who make the laws.

I AM THE LAW!

-Puredread.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Comments 10/30/2003 04:09 PM CST
<<I AM THE LAW!>>

No you are a LAWn. Allow me to cut you down =P

Re: Comments 10/30/2003 04:48 PM CST
<< I AM THE LAW!

<< No you are a LAWn. Allow me to cut you down =P

Great line, LRENK! I know someone who says the former all the time, and they don't read this board. Muwahahaaaaa... Thanks again.

Arcelebor
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 05:23 AM CST
Batman and Captain America in ways closer together than most people think. I have always thought the misconception comes from the personalities and methodoligies (is that a word?) of the two. Cap is a much 'lighter' character, he is more open and works more closely with goverment agencies, where as batman is 'darker' and works on his own... aside from his somewhat curious long time relationship with Jim Gordon and the commisioners office. However, the ends both achieve are the same, they work for justice. Curiously, the darker of the two, Batman, has never killed anyone, while the lighter Captain America has at times felt there was no other choice than to kill as a last resort.

This is the only light in which I can view the whole dark/light issue personally, Paladins commiting evil acts or directly working against justice just seems like they wouldn't be Paladins. There is a somewhat famous quote from a judge, who name eludes me at the moment, who was responding to someone claiming that the sentence given didn't serve justice, and the Judge responded that this was a court of Law, not Justice. I believe there is a lot to gain from that statement, laws can not always achieve justice, but are the frame work with which we do our best to reach that end. A Paladin is not bound by laws if they are unjust by design, the code says that the Paladin must work to change such laws. If I am reading that correctly, that could be as minor as petitioning the goverment to change a single unfair law, or as drastic as leading a rebellion to overthrow a corrupt goverment.

The player of Rialan, sad that he can't get JLA/Avengers crossover in europe, and is missing the cap/batman fight
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 06:07 AM CST
<<Batman, has never killed anyone>>

Incorrect. Batman killed quite often when he debuted, but lately you are definitely correct.

Drongol's Player
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 07:40 AM CST
This has reached an all new level of geekdom. Tune in for more next week.... same Bat folder... same Bat code debate...

Daython
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 12:13 PM CST
>>A Paladin is not bound by laws if they are unjust by design, the code says that the Paladin must work to change such laws.

Define unjust.

Re: Comments 10/31/2003 03:00 PM CST
<<A Paladin is not bound by laws if they are unjust by design, the code says that the Paladin must work to change such laws.>>

Pureblade replies:

<<Define unjust.>>

Generally when people get into the 'define this', they fail to actually look at the source document which usually defines or provides a process by which to define something.

Pureblade, here is the language from the Code which discusses a Paladin and his relationship to man's laws:

If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of his conscience.

A simple reading of the Code provisions states that it is a subjective determination as to whether a paladin agrees or disagrees with the law (i.e. If Madigan doesn't agree with the law in his opinion), that paladin must abide by it still, and can only work to change it. However if the paladin 'believes' the law to be truely Evil (once again a subjective standard) then the Paladin must do what he thinks best.

There is no reason to define the term 'unjust' under this Code provision, as the entire provision is subjective.

Now, as to whether it should be subjective is open to debate, but as it stands it is a very easy provision to read and understand.

Madigan
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 04:18 PM CST
<<Generally when people get into the 'define this', they fail to actually look at the source document which usually defines or provides a process by which to define something.>>

In the CODE's case, it does not make an attempt. Rather, it leaves all definitions up in the air, allowing for each Paladin to decide for him or herself.

That said, I think the vast majority of the Guild would agree on some basic tenets of "right and wrong." However, the devil's in the details, and the vast majority of the arguments I have seen both in and out of the game have been about relatively minor details.

This, in my opinion, is a Good Thing (tm). We don't need any documentation to let us, as a group, understand the basic tenets of "good" versus "evil," and any debates, heated or not, that might crop up about the rather insignificant aspects of the CODE just serve as a roleplaying opportunity.

After all, which is "more good"--the Paladin that shows mercy to a group of murderers in the hope that they might learn from his or her example or the Paladin that sends their souls screaming to the Void so that they will not be able to harm others? Highly debatable topic right there, but both Paladins would be able to argue passionately that what they were doing was "good."

Drongol's Player
Re: Comments 10/31/2003 07:46 PM CST
<<This has reached an all new level of geekdom. Tune in for more next week.... same Bat folder... same Bat code debate...

Daython >>

Yah, but you're my geeks, and it's quite amusing..

Questions or comments - take it to e-mail, MOD-Annwyl@Play.net or Senior Board Monitor DR-Redryn@Play.net or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@Play.net.

MOD-Annwyl
Re: Comments 11/01/2003 01:17 PM CST
Madigan said:

<<Generally when people get into the 'define this', they fail to actually look at the source document which usually defines or provides a process by which to define something.>>

Drongol said:

<<In the CODE's case, it does not make an attempt. Rather, it leaves all definitions up in the air, allowing for each Paladin to decide for him or herself.>>

Actually, very incorrect. Make sure you study the Code and its provisions. I'll simply point to my last example.

<<Pureblade, here is the language from the Code which discusses a Paladin and his relationship to man's laws:

If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of his conscience.

A simple reading of the Code provisions states that it is a subjective determination as to whether a paladin agrees or disagrees with the law (i.e. If Madigan doesn't agree with the law in his opinion), that paladin must abide by it still, and can only work to change it. However if the paladin 'believes' the law to be truely Evil (once again a subjective standard) then the Paladin must do what he thinks best.>>

The definitions for the entire provision is within the document itself, in this case it is a subjective definition left up to the individual paladin.

The Code is just not the brain-surgery many are trying to make it out to be.

My opinion anyway.

Madigan
Re: Comments 11/01/2003 04:16 PM CST
>>If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it.

Define what makes a law evil. Then define the difference between working to change it and disregarding it.

Can working to change it mean fighting the system in order to change it? Or does it mean taking a political and more democratic approach (which makse no sense in Elanthia). Does it mean getting another outside ruler to take over, and then work with a more apparently 'reasonable' person?

The Code can be simplified into one statement"

"Be a good guy and don't be mean."

Now, since we know being good is not a set in stone concept, and we know that when you're being good (ie: upholding the law) you can also be mean (ie: jailing POOR INNOCENT EMPATHS), we can also say that there is no set concept to go by.

Granted, I love that fact, because that allows lots of arguing and events to ensue that try to settle that vague concept. I like the Code where it is just BECAUSE it will allow people to have situations where moral questions are brought up.

Re: Comments 11/02/2003 06:58 AM CST
<< Define what makes a law evil. Then define the difference between working to change it and disregarding it. >>

Smiles... this really has gotten to the point where it could really be considered a rather obscure form of absolutism.

This, however, could actully be a place where specific examples of what is evil could actually be worked into the code. Though it will not cover all forms of evil it could provide the proper launching point for debate on behaviours that seem to float in the more grey areas. For instance....

A paladin must not take nor aide in taking the possessions and/or coins of another unless the possession and/or coin were used or being used in a manner that defies the laws of the province or the life and livelihood of another. Provided that the act in question was not provoked or a part of the assailant gaining just retribution for acts committed by the other. In the latter case a council of three paladins should decide in full agreement if the retribuiton was just and the proper distribution of the goods in question. Understand that if complaints are lodged on a consistent bases against a particular group or common collection of paladins invoking the "power of three" that the council will call them for a review of their behaviour.

Intriguing.. as I think through it... this "power of three" concept could be very interesting and highly codeable. An actual concept that could really be playable.

< Can working to change it mean fighting the system in order to change it? Or does it mean taking a political and more democratic approach (which makse no sense in Elanthia). Does it mean getting another outside ruler to take over, and then work with a more apparently 'reasonable' person? <

To be honest, the act of overturning a law should be worked through a grouping of paladins and would probably end up before the council in the proper power structure. Though, in ways we do have a direct example of this in the realms on Hara'jaal.. which is essentially lawless.... I have led "cleaning" operations on Hara quite often in the enclave, and though captured and flogged I have never received a soul hit for it. As in the law is unjust and I actively work to overturn it's efforts.

The overwhelmingly huge piece missing are the works that should be coming from the contest. However, I believe a process of decision making and evaluation should be put in place first. As in the "power of three" and the oversight processes of the Paladin council. For the truth is, without these structures or something similiar we are headed directly for a rather muddled mess if all this new material is put into the game without a proper cohesive understanding of how they fit within the greater whole as well as an eye to the game playability of the situation. For I too am not particularly pumped about the idea that a sole GM may make an arbitrary decision based on "their" understanding of the code and trash our souls.

Daython
Re: Comments 11/02/2003 07:55 AM CST
<<of the code and trash our souls.

Daython>>

That was just too funny.

:P

Phanton

ps: In my opinion the council of three Paladins to decide on stuff would be neat. What if Drongol, Pureblade and Glemm decided to live int he same town? Would you really want to see their justified acitons on the three Paladins concept?
Re: Comments 11/02/2003 08:56 AM CST
<< ps: In my opinion the council of three Paladins to decide on stuff would be neat. What if Drongol, Pureblade and Glemm decided to live int he same town? Would you really want to see their justified acitons on the three Paladins concept? >>

Daython takes out his mace and bops Phanton over the head.

I know I can be wordy.. but really now.... I did state that if a group of three and or similiar combination of three commonly participate in questionable choices their actions would come up for review by the council.

The mechanic could record what action took place and against who and be put in a log for review. That is if some mechanic was created for the "power of three". I think it is both workable and practical. The question is what level of committment there is to this code.

Daython
Re: Comments 11/02/2003 02:36 PM CST
Since you have no idea what Pureblade's concept of justice is, I'm not sure if you would see it as a bad thing, exactly.

Pureblade has a very strong form of 'no grey areas'. You would know this if you saw him during his Crossing Town Guard in training days. He would accuse anyone, regardless of guild, age, sex, etc. And it got him in trouble A LOT. He had a very strong sense of justice is blind.

Pureblade is also one who gives people a change to attone. Anytime he was accused of graverobbing, it was because someone attacked him and he said they'll only get their weapon back if they apologize for senseless violence. People hear half the side of the story (the "Pureblade is Evil!" side) and believe he's "dark".

Justice according to Pureblade is probably something more strict and clear-cut than anything most would create.

Re: Comments 11/02/2003 10:31 PM CST
The key of course will be how the Code is enforced. If it is not, then it will become another parchment on the wall.

Madigan
Re: Comments 11/03/2003 12:10 AM CST
And what rewards that come from following the Code.

I refuse to be happy with any GM making more penalties to the guild without there being more rewards to balance it out.

Re: Comments 11/03/2003 08:37 AM CST
<<Daython takes out his mace and bops Phanton over the head.>>

Phanton obviously blocks the attack.

<<The mechanic could record what action took place and against who and be put in a log for review. That is if some mechanic was created for the "power of three". I think it is both workable and practical. The question is what level of committment there is to this code.>>

doesn't it sound as much work as having the Gm's judge on the matter itself?

I'm not trying to ruin your idea, I've stated that I like it. Just trying to find holes in it so we can discuss, hope that much is clear.

Phanton
Re: Comments 11/03/2003 08:56 AM CST
Pureblade said:

<<And what rewards that come from following the Code.>>

Excellent point and certaintly reasonable to want offsets to our major limitations. Now, my wish-list is a probably a bit different from yours, but I want to see some really nice abilities that work WITHIN the context of the Code. For example, we are suppose to be protectors...well for Chadatru's sake...give us the ability to protect better than anyone else in the game. Why should we be limited by global caps on spells that only serve to protect? Especially with out other limitations as a guild.

Now, I am not asking for abilities that go outside the context of the Code...only abilities that are in compliance with and in furtherance with the Code.

Anyway, my thougths.

Madigan
Re: Comments 11/03/2003 11:03 AM CST
<<For example, we are suppose to be protectors...well for Chadatru's sake...give us the ability to protect better than anyone else in the game. Why should we be limited by global caps on spells that only serve to protect?>>

We're also supposed to engage in righteous combat. Why don't we have abilities to make use fight better than anyone else in the game? Who cares about global caps--we have a CODE!

Honestly, guys, we're going to be getting abilities that are considered "balanced" and "appropriate" no matter what we have written down or what restrictions are placed upon us. Making Paladins "uber-powerful" because we have a CODE won't fly--after all, it's terribly difficult to violate the CODE unless you get involved in CvC conflicts, and the game isn't designed around that sort of situation.

Drongol's Player
Re: Comments 11/03/2003 11:13 AM CST
<< doesn't it sound as much work as having the Gm's judge on the matter itself? >>

Okay, here is where the crux of the matter really lies.

By judging past history the GM community seems quite reluctuant to allow PC's to have any form of judgemental powers. Be it individual or by a group of selected individuals. Hence, to increase the wealth of the RP environment the responsibility in matters such as discpline goes to the GM's to follow through with. In the past this has been administered by individual CE GM's that are currently online and currently watching. There is absolutely no assurance that these rulings concerning a paladin's soul have ever been consistently applied. I am sure we all can recount a few occurances of this. In the end if the GM's wish sole control over the administration of this code it seems apprant that it will require their active participation in the RP game world. This is workable in the case I mentioned earlier by setting up the council as a review board to address matters quarterly. Where questionable violations of the "power of three" would be reviewed in an RP way. The tool given to individual CE GM's would be to temporarily remove the Paladin's abilit to join a "power of three" until which time the behaviour is reviewed by the council.

My preference... a PC council for review. The council should consist of 13 with a required number of 7 to meet on decisions on a montly basis. That way the time period someone is without an ability would be reduced considerably.

I agree that the code has little value if both the advantages to adhereing to the code and the disadvantages are not present. Personally, my bigger concern right now is to get something of value in this guild to end this target dummy scenario that the "code" requires us to be.

Daython
Re: Comments 11/03/2003 11:16 AM CST
>>For example, we are suppose to be protectors...well for Chadatru's sake...give us the ability to protect better than anyone else in the game.

Sidenote: GM-Ssra is going to make you all wet yourselves.

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7