Re: Immolation (519) 04/26/2016 11:41 AM CDT
Robert
Two things to notice:
1) Initial RT is not being applied.
2) Even though the critter is ignoring the spell, it is still sputtering out after 1 round in the damp area (100% of the time as near as I can tell). I don't think the critter should get this benefit if they aren't going to roll.
Fresh combatant, initial cast of the spell, expecting 10s RT to be applied.
The flames surrounding a triton combatant flare up violently...
Less than 5s have gone by since I cast the spell and he's swinging at me already!
Per your earlier post there should be 10s of RT applied at the initial cast.

The fire DoT only flares every 10 seconds. Your log shows that you cast 519, then the fire DoT flares, and finally the creature attacks. Unfortunately, there's no real way to show time elapsed in the log (unless you're continuously applying roundtime to yourself), but it seems to me that 10 seconds did elapse, which is why the creature did not attack sooner. Is it possible that you lagged out for a few seconds? Have you been able to reproduce that issue since then?

The spell always ends exactly after 1 round when in water - it always has. Creatures have a 25% chance to not roll around (and thus receive no roundtime for that round). These two are unrelated events. That's also why you don't see the combatant try to roll around in the above log.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Immolation (519) 04/26/2016 08:13 PM CDT
>> The fire DoT only flares every 10 seconds. Your log shows that you cast 519, then the fire DoT flares, and finally the creature attacks. Unfortunately, there's no real way to show time elapsed in the log (unless you're continuously applying roundtime to yourself), but it seems to me that 10 seconds did elapse, which is why the creature did not attack sooner. Is it possible that you lagged out for a few seconds?

I generally don't have any lag and would discount any testing if there was any noticeable lag at the time. I use my attacks to capture RT given I pretty much do them as soon as RT is up (I was being generous in saying that up to 5 seconds had passed in my log example.

>> Have you been able to reproduce that issue since then?

Honestly I've started playing other characters and other games vs. hunting with Faulkil due to the current challenges with this spell (I was sort of hoping the spell would get fixed based on the information already shared so just found other things to to in the meantime).

I'll make it a point to go in and do some additional testing either later in the week or this coming weekend latest and try to capture at least three new examples. Maybe I'll see if I can create some sort of Ruby Script that echoes time with seconds every 10 seconds or so or that I can call with each cast to show the current time with seconds.

>> The spell always ends exactly after 1 round when in water - it always has. Creatures have a 25% chance to not roll around (and thus receive no roundtime for that round). These two are unrelated events. That's also why you don't see the combatant try to roll around in the above log.

On this... I wasn't arguing that the spell didn't work this way in the past so much as, given some of the recent adjustments made and this being the disabler version, maybe they should have to actually roll to get the 100% chance for the spell to end in the current version.

One of the characters I've been playing more of recently is my cleric. While it lacks the same flash as immolation, Bind is a great example of a reliable warding-based disabler spell. You know if you were successful or not in casting it, the spell stops opponent casting and maneuvers while it is active, you have a pretty decent idea of how long the spell effect will last based on your warding margin, and you get a clear indication of when the spell effect expires.

Immolation is lacking in that you don't know if you were successful (you know you successfully cast the spell but it may not matter at all), it doesn't reliably stop manuevers or casting, and you don't know how long it will last. You get the 'benefit' of some damage up front and there is still some kill chance so I guess you can call it a trade-off but I'm definitely finding I like bind with my cleric much more than I like Immolation and I don't see anything else that even comes close in our current spell selection. Also, bind is 4 less mana to cast so I would argue the additional 4 mana covers at least the damage component for Immolation.

Anyway... getting off track and a little frustrated so I'll stop while we're ahead. Look for my combat example / updated bug post by this weekend at the latest.

-- Robert

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Raggler squeakily says, "It's a fact."
Re: Immolation (519) 04/26/2016 08:21 PM CDT
Disregard my comparison to bind. I confused it with prayer of holding which I've also been using and works as I was describing but only against undead. Both spells have been working great for my cleric but that's a different story...

-- Robert

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 07:20 AM CDT
I doubt I'll get an answer due to the new "not telling you anything until it's done because I might get hit by a bus tomorrow" thing with dev, but is Immolate going to get any love? Or has staff decided that the spell is fine as is and needs no further development? Don't care about time frames or whatever. I just want to know if staff is done with this spell or if there is/will be something in the works for it to make it stop being garbage.

Thanks.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 02:58 PM CDT
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few tweaks moving forward. Speaking of which, since it will likely be on the order of years before we see new post-cap hunting, it might be a nice touch to consider removing/reducing immunity to this spell, in particular the disabling version, so that capped hunters aren't forced to rely on other spells that we don't yet have or move to areas that don't yet exist as a reasonable alternative. The impact on pre-cap hunters should be negligible in either case, as 19 mana for a disabler is prohibitively expensive until well into the post-cap.

If you were hoping to regain some of that former glory, I would just forget about it. I expect this to loosely follow the sorcery track: Send in the wrecking ball, and then gradually build the class back up over a matter of years. Although I certainly hope the turnaround time for wizards is drastically improved, as I don't wish to die of old age before this "plan" is realized. The good news is that if they do follow that model, by 2030 wizards should be the envy of the GS world and lores will provide meaningful choices at last!

~Taverkin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 03:01 PM CDT
> The good news is that if they do follow that model, by 2030 wizards should be the envy of the GS world and lores will provide meaningful choices at last!

Always find the silver lining.

~ Konacon
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 04:27 PM CDT
>since it will likely be on the order of years before we see new post-cap hunting

Isn't Sea of Fire coming out this year?

~ Methais

Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:31 PM CDT
I spent a good 30 minutes casting immolation at things and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. I guess I'll call it working as intended at present but I'll leave the extra line in my cast code that throws a timestamp each cast in case I observe the issue again.

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:35 PM CDT
<<Isn't Sea of Fire coming out this year?>>

Just like it was supposed to come out almost a year ago?

Character formerly known as Drauz
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:47 PM CDT
Methais
I doubt I'll get an answer due to the new "not telling you anything until it's done because I might get hit by a bus tomorrow" thing with dev, but is Immolate going to get any love? Or has staff decided that the spell is fine as is and needs no further development? Don't care about time frames or whatever. I just want to know if staff is done with this spell or if there is/will be something in the works for it to make it stop being garbage.

No, there are no planned updates for Immolation (519). It's working as intended and to the desired level, which is comparable to Divine Fury (317) and Wither (1115). A comparison against tens of thousands of casts for each of those spells was performed to make such an analysis. Elemental Strike (415) is an outlier, as the lore benefit was never intended to hit the same target twice. It will be eventually be fixed, but we're focused on a few other things first (wizard and non-wizard related).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:52 PM CDT

>Elemental Strike (415) is an outlier, as the lore benefit was never intended to hit the same target twice.

That conflicts with what Cyraex posted on 8/24/15:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elemental_lore_review_(saved_posts)#Elemental_Strike_.28415.29

>For clarification, is this effect based on the casters fire lore ranks or fire lore bonus? Asking slightly differently, if I have 100 Ranks of fire lore is my chance to cast on a 2nd created 50% (based on ranks) or 100% (based on bonus)? If I have more than 100% chance for the second target does that give me an opportunity to hit a third target as well? - PEREGRINEFALCON

>The calculation is based on the Elemental Lore Fire bonus. I'm not sure what you mean by a third target. The original cast will hit one creature, if you have have a 100% chance of a second strike, it will target a random creature in the room. If there is only one creature in the room, it will strike the the same creature again. -GM CYRAEX
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:55 PM CDT
If we get enough reviews this game will be as fun as some of my meetings at work...

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:56 PM CDT
VANKRASN39
That conflicts with what Cyraex posted on 8/24/15:

That was a statement based upon how it worked at the time of posting. As I stated, the design never intended for that to be possible.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 08:58 PM CDT

>That was a statement based upon how it worked at the time of posting. As I stated, the design never intended for that to be possible.

So why wouldn't he include or you follow up with the fact that it was broken? That's very odd.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:02 PM CDT
>No, there are no planned updates for Immolation (519). It's working as intended and to the desired level, which is comparable to Divine Fury (317) and Wither (1115). A comparison against tens of thousands of casts for each of those spells was performed to make such an analysis.

And yet it's clear from both actual player experience and tests that 519 is NOT comparable with either 317 or 1115, especially without access to 240.

To put this another way, reliable CS-based spells are typically used at the post-cap level as the near guaranteed instant kill or at the very least, heavy stun and immobilization to most creatures. The thing you turn to when you don't have the time or mana to plink away with attrition-based jabbing bolt spells. Now there is no scenario where 519 can be used to even disable, and unlike the other two, many things are fire immune, which renders the entire spell incapable of damaging entire types of creatures at all. 317 still deals damage even if only on the concussion cycle.

Finally, it's been proven that 317 and 1115 both have much higher levels of initial concussion cycle damage, which reduces the reliance on the later crit cycles to 1) activate the cycle, 2) be used on a creature that can be crit killed and 3) have a favorable crit randomization roll.

Every other post-cap profession, and other pures especially, has a reliable instant kill mechanism that is nearly guaranteed to incapacitate or instantly kill something in one shot, when one shot is all you have the time or mana to attempt. If 519 is no longer it, there should be something in the works for wizards to not leave us as the weakest combat pures. Nerfing everyone else is not the solution and provides no fun for anyone.

In summary, sorcerers are at the top of the combat heap, being able to achieve near instant mass (717) and single-target (720) kills.

Empaths are a close second with the same ability to achieve near guaranteed instant mass (1117 combination) and single target (240/1115) kills.

Clerics don't have any quick or reliable mass kill, though they have the most powerful mass disabler in 316, but their 240/317 is comparable to what empaths can achieve on a single target basis.

Wizards have the ability to kill in mass via 515/518 but it's by far the most mana intensive option of the lot and nowhere near instant or guaranteed like 717 is. You still have to rely on things to die over a period of at least several seconds via attrition. On a single-target instant kill level, wizards come up empty.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:21 PM CDT
>Elemental Strike (415) is an outlier, as the lore benefit was never intended to hit the same target twice. It will be eventually be fixed, but we're focused on a few other things first (wizard and non-wizard related).

You have to be kidding me. It's not bad enough that the GMs made Immolation the joke of the entire game but now you're going to go ahead and nerf 415, the only real CS spell wizards have left anymore?

Just leave well enough alone already. Geez.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:22 PM CDT
>That was a statement based upon how it worked at the time of posting. As I stated, the design never intended for that to be possible.

You've gotta be kidding me again.

Who talks like this? "Yeah this is how the spell works." Then months later "Well what I meant was...this is how the spell works...AT THIS TIME...but I'm not going to go ahead and clarify that it's currently a bug."
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:40 PM CDT
On a related note I have an awesome idea for a new item in the game, it can maybe even be a God auction item: when worn your class appears to be sorcerer to everyone else, including GMs! With this awesome class concealer item worn you are no longer subjected to all of the wizard "fixes" and instead receive an endless stream of buffs and perks.

Thoughts?
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:42 PM CDT
TGO02
Who talks like this?

No one. You're talking about 2 separate statements from 2 separate people.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:49 PM CDT
>No one. You're talking about 2 separate statements from 2 separate people.

Well, no, because you're in a sense speaking for him.

So either Cyraex had no idea it was a bug at the time, or he was indeed omitting the bit of information that it was a bug.

If it was the former one really has to wonder why no other GM at the time stepped in and said "Just to be clear, this is currently a bug and will be 'fixed' at some point."

It honestly sounds like the GMs didn't realize how "good" 415 is (well in actuality how terrible 519 is in comparison) and now just want to "fix" it and are trying to be suave about it by claiming it was always broken.

The lore "benefit" already makes the spell 5 mana more expensive, does it really need "fixing"?
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:52 PM CDT
Is this stuff tested before it's released? In both the original post by GM Cyraex and the actual coding, it was clearly designed and coded to hit two targets, so saying now that you didn't know and it's not intended is unfathomable to me.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:53 PM CDT
Obviously it was an oversight. I'm still amazed that there's all this ruckus over wizards CS spells. You picked the BOLT casting class. If there's an issue with wizard lethality it should be addressed via bolts.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:53 PM CDT

>You're talking about 2 separate statements from 2 separate people.

but this is 8 months later. Not once in 8 months in all the times 415 has been brought up has anyone indicated that the spell was not working as intended.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:54 PM CDT
>In both the original post by GM Cyraex and the actual coding, it was clearly designed and coded to hit two targets

That's not the part they are "fixing", they are fixing the part where it currently hits the same critter twice. So if you're in a room with just 1 critter 415 will only ever hit once.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:55 PM CDT
>You picked the BOLT casting class.

And rogues picked the LOCKPICKING class and they have the nerve to want to hunt too?

Empaths picked the HEALING class and they want bolt spells AND CS spells? The lunacy.

Clerics picked the RAISING class and they want bolt spells AND CS spells? Will the madness never end?

Monks picked the UNARMED class and they want...okay bad example!
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:56 PM CDT
>That's not the part they are "fixing", they are fixing the part where it currently hits the same critter twice. So if you're in a room with just 1 critter 415 will only ever hit once.

Yeah I know, I mis-typed. Still this is completely just throwing spaghetti at the wall at this point.

And of course unlike everyone with their quickstrike migration, we get no lore migration or additional fixskills to repair the continued decimation of the class.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 09:56 PM CDT
The remaining ruckus is over the lack of reliable instant kill tactics at the post-cap level that every other pure and most every other sufficiently trained and equipped profession enjoys. I've already spelled them all out.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/27/2016 11:12 PM CDT
>No, there are no planned updates for Immolation (519). It's working as intended and to the desired level, which is comparable to Divine Fury (317) and Wither (1115). A comparison against tens of thousands of casts for each of those spells was performed to make such an analysis. Elemental Strike (415) is an outlier, as the lore benefit was never intended to hit the same target twice. It will be eventually be fixed, but we're focused on a few other things first (wizard and non-wizard related).

Yeah well...no, it's not. What makes you even think it is especially considering the fact that pretty much every wizard
thinks this spell is a joke now? If it was on par with those other spells, then why don't clerics and empaths consider those spells a joke? Serious question.

>>Elemental Strike (415) is an outlier, as the lore benefit was never intended to hit the same target twice. It will be eventually be fixed, but we're focused on a few other things first (wizard and non-wizard related).

Care to explain why not even one time in all the posts and logs of 415 and discussions about the spell vs. Immolate was this mentioned to us? I honestly have a hard time believing this is the case and is more a case of "Immolate wizards are switching to 415 builds for the double cast and we don't want them doing that. But since we've already outraged them to an immeasurable degree with the butchering we already gave them, we'll say it was a bug."

Since you guys are hell bent on wrecking us, can we throw this "no info on new stuff until it's done" thing out the window and just tell us what you guys actually are working on for wizards? We're already well aware that Konacon or whoever could get hit by a bus or go be a Buddhist monk that could cause all kinds of problems for it so there's no reason to hide behind that as a reason to not give us any info.

I'm really getting tired of having to migrate from one build to another because you guys keep nerfing everything. So if you could just inform us on what's in store for us so we'll have some sort of clue at all the direction we're being shoehorned in, it would be appreciated.

What other professions are on the nerf list if any, so I'll know what else to avoid?

>No one. You're talking about 2 separate statements from 2 separate people.

We're talking about 2 separate statements from 1 company. I mean was there some reason you didn't jump in and clarify it after he posted that? I'm quite sure you didn't just happen to miss that post or something.

~ Methais

Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 05:39 AM CDT
<No one. You're talking about 2 separate statements from 2 separate people.

::facepalm::

~Taverkin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 09:46 AM CDT
I'm also curious...do you guys really think 415 double casting vs. one target is overpowered for 20 mana? The damage is random according to you (concussion damage at least), so that's not reliable.

For 20 mana and 100 ranks of fire lore (for 100%, because we need reliability) we get this. This is all vs. the same radical:

You gesture at a triton radical.
The dull golden nimbus surrounding a triton radical suddenly begins to glow brightly.
CS: +530 - TD: +451 + CvA: +25 + d100: +43 == +147
Warding failed!
You blast a triton radical for 25 points of damage.
... 25 points of damage!
Right hand fried to a crisp. Think barbecue sauce.
The triton radical is knocked over by the blast!

A vortex of elemental energy suddenly strikes a triton radical!
CS: +530 - TD: +451 + CvA: +25 + d100: +79 == +183
Warding failed!
You blast a triton radical for 42 points of damage.
... 50 points of damage!
Skin and some muscle burnt off chest.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

And for 4 mana and 20 ranks of fire lore, we get this:

You hurl a seething blast of steam at a triton radical!
AS: +491 vs DS: +278 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +38 = +295
... and hit for 150 points of damage!
Superheated steam boils internal organs! The triton radical's heart is boiled.. not broken.
The triton radical gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on his face.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting a triton radical begins to falter, then completely fades away.
A white glow rushes away from a triton radical.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around a triton radical.
The brilliant aura fades away from a triton radical.
The very powerful look leaves a triton radical.
The white light leaves a triton radical.
The warm glow fades from around a triton radical.
A triton radical seems slightly different.
Fiery elemental energy energizes you.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Note the crappy d100 roll on that 903 shot also.

415 double cast damage vs. single target isn't overpowered. Sure sometimes the damage is higher than that, but sometimes it's lower too. Because it's random. Either way, it's not OP, and nothing like level is going to be getting one shotted with it without it being a crit death.

I realize that new stuff is in development and it won't be nerfed until then, and I'm hoping that when this new stuff comes out I won't even care about 415, but I laso don't hold my breath in regards to any wizard dev anymore, and instead I just assume the worst, since doing anything else has led to nothing but being let down. Even moreso after being told that you guys still think Immolate is fine, combined with the method of testing you used for it vs. 317/1115 (non optimal CS, not factoring 240, seeming to think that 516 = 240, etc.)

But that aside, what exactly is the problem with 415 double casts vs. single target? I want to know why you think it's overpowered. And if you don't think it's OP, then the whole "It wasn't intended to double cast vs. single target" thing kind of goes out the window. Even if that was the case (which I still have a hard time believing, but whatever), this unintended feature needs to stay if you expect the spell to be used and trained in fire lore for. 415 is the only real reason to train heavily in fire lore right now, as Immolate is trash and nobody in their right mind is gonna train heavy fire lore for that. And you're not going to find wizards training heavy fire lore just to hit a second target with 415 either. And other than 908 splash, there is literally no other benefit to heavy fire lore training that I'm aware of, unless you count the small DF increase for 906/908. Which again, nobody is going to go heavy on lore for.

So again, the only reason to go heavy fire lore right now is for single target 415 double casts. If this is going to be nerfed, then the lore requirement for the non-single target double cast needs to at least be cut in half. Wizards are being required to train in too much lore for too little benefit otherwise. Please stop exacerbating that problem with nonsense like 415 nerfs.

Here's what I'm really interested in though:
If you were a wizard (I'm just assuming you don't play or haven't played one to any real degree at cap in the live game based on the seeming inability to truly understand our concerns, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mean that as an insult either. *glances at Aulis* It would be like if I were doing dev for Paladins or something.) what would your training look like, assuming you wanted maximum combat effectiveness, and why would you use said training path in the current state of the game?

And why is it that if other pures want to bolt, they could train for it and hunt exclusively with bolts if that's what they wanted, and they would still be effective hunters (not as effective as their go to warding spells, but still effective, and without massive lore requirements either), but if wizards want to primarily be warders, you guys keep throwing up roadblocks on top of the huge lore requirements that are already in place?

If 415 single target double casts went away tomorrow, I would probably drop fire lore down from my current 101 ranks (other 101 is air, don't get me started on that) to 20 or whatever is required for Steam Bolt, because that's all it would really be good for.

Again, I know 415 isn't slated to get nerfed until the new spells are out, but since we can't even waterboard any info on the new spells out of you guys, I can only base things on what's already in place, and unfortunately, the "Trust me" approach in regards to wizard dev holds no weight with (most of) us anymore.

I am glad that the test server is going to be opened though. Do you have any info on when that will happen? Because there's a good bit of testing I wouldn't mind being able to do right now.

And lastly, what's wrong with the idea of un-nerfing 519 and moving it to 525 or 530? I made a post last week as to why this wouldn't be OP, as it would be on part with 1030. Unless you think 1030 is OP too. Do you?

~ Methais

Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 09:49 AM CDT
>And lastly, what's wrong with the idea of un-nerfing 519 and moving it to 525 or 530? I made a post last week as to why this wouldn't be OP, as it would be on part with 1030. Unless you think 1030 is OP too. Do you?

You should stop there already because they already said yes to the latter.
Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 10:04 AM CDT
>You should stop there already because they already said yes to the latter.

This ridiculousness never ceases to amaze me. Stop taking peoples' options away (future tense included) and then wondering why people are quitting and/or not having fun anymore.

Or just let everyone convert to sorcerers.

Can we maybe just get a list of what spells Simu doesn't think are overpowered?

I can't help but wonder if DW realizes that making a game worse over time is the opposite of good game design.

~ Methais

Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 08:59 PM CDT
This is disheartening regarding 415... I feel like we were able to gloss over the incredibly high lore scaling requirements for 519 because we all found 415 to be a viable replacement in it's current form. If 415 is in fact not functioning as anticipated, I think we're back to having a gap requiring remediation.

~Whirlin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/28/2016 09:22 PM CDT
Whirlin! Talk to me, man. What's going on around here? I require your perspective.

~Taverkin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 09:34 AM CDT
Alright... loaded question on perspective.

I sat down and did lots of maths, and feel like I 'solved' the current position of the ELR... The results are as follows, with a compressed justification explanation (full explanation is over on PC under my wizard guide thread, and I've mirrored the changes to wiki version of the guide)

Air Lore: 55 or 60 ranks. Due to the way rounding with haste works, 55 ranks gives you -1 RT on every RT that started with an even number if you're over 60 MjE ranks. Other major break points are much more sporadic and specific to things like: base RTs divisible by 5 all get -1 RT at 105 ranks. 60 ranks just gives additional fringe benefits on 504/511/912.

Earth Lore: 25 or 30 Ranks... just enough to unlock the litany of defensive procs. Beyond that, the seeds are so high, it's not worth continuing.

The rest, fire lore... Just to hit the 100 ranks for 415's double cast proc... and to have one large lore for 502 implications. The scaling on immolation's fire lore benefit is so high, it's simply not worth training for immolation.

However, if 415 is indeed broken, I guess it's just the Devs saying that wizards shouldn't have a competitive CS attack alternative.

That being said, the changes haven't been as bad as initial thought... I needed to dump a bunch of spell ranks to hit 66 ranks of air lore to use the new 506. Solving for 535's major breakpoints makes things easier as well. With 515's no longer auto-prepping your spells, you can do spell rotations to benefit from 502, then apply drench, then apply shock, rinse, rotate, or apply acid/immolate if you have the lores for it. However, that really doesn't help in the scatter against liches and such, just makes it a little more dynamic for lower tier hunting... Personally, as an archer mage, I feel like I'm ripping things to shreds with 902's +10 enhancive bonus and 909's stomp... 909/912/410 may not be as good as 709, but, at least we have options?

Wizards at the moment really need a way to be able to effectively kill something that we have a limited AS/DS margin on... If we only have +50 AS over the target's DS... we will simply run out of mana before the target is dead... Whereas if you take a pure CS caster... a 101 endroll with a CS spell can still be incredibly deadly! Squares/semis aren't restricted by mana per attacking the same way wizards are. CS used to fill this void for us... but with the lore requirements on 519 and the announcement regarding 415, it seems like we don't have anything to deal with these situations... Damn sorcs and their 720 iwin button.

-Whirlin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 10:03 AM CDT
Well, it certainly sounds like the warmage has become far more dynamic. That's good. But it sounds like the ELR is forcing wizards to go for the lower level lore benefits because they don't scale well with continued training. Perhaps if we had more attractive options for heavy investment in a single lore, we might start to see a distinctive pure build emerge?

~Taverkin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 10:30 AM CDT
Really just a symptom of SEED scales where it becomes more advantageous to pick up lower values in multiple than invest heavily into one. 502 incentivizes single-lore training, and even in my mathed out training plan, you're still a full 1x in just fire lore, it's your 2x ranks that are a little variable. Having returns too much higher than 100 ranks would really pigeonholes training too much when we have 4 options available. Most other classes are working between two lore options (I don't really count summoning for clerics as being competitive with their religion/blessing allocation after getting the few ranks needed for chrisms)

If we could 3x lores, and had some high training options available to us, that could satisfy the post-cap training weakness of bolts perhaps... but Simu has already stated a billion times that they're never changing something like that... predominantly due to changing training options like that causing a database update to all characters, current and previous... ... That batch job would likely take the game down for a little bit!

~Whirlin
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 10:34 AM CDT
> Wizards at the moment really need a way to be able to effectively kill something that we have a limited AS/DS margin on...

This should be pretty decently handled by one of the coming updates...

~ Konacon
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 10:38 AM CDT
Whirlin
Really just a symptom of SEED scales where it becomes more advantageous to pick up lower values in multiple than invest heavily into one. 502 incentivizes single-lore training, and even in my mathed out training plan, you're still a full 1x in just fire lore, it's your 2x ranks that are a little variable. Having returns too much higher than 100 ranks would really pigeonholes training too much when we have 4 options available.

Ideally, our goal is to promote both diverse and specialized lore training. As you note, a summation model tends to heavily favor being more diverse, and a good majority of spells use that. We definitely need to add more incentive for specialized training (not to the extent of EL:F with the old version of 519 though). I will note that when players complain about not being able to train in all the lores they want, it's an affirmation for the design goal of making each lore competitive. It should be a difficult training choice and you should not be able to train in everything you want.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Immolation (519) 04/29/2016 10:52 AM CDT
>I will note that when players complain about not being able to train in all the lores they want, it's an affirmation for the design goal of making each lore competitive.

There's a vast difference between forced mediocrity and competitiveness. Right now wizards are forced to make the least harmful choices to their character's builds instead of choosing to train in any specific lore because there are valuable strengths.

This is a world of difference from the SLR, where each of religion, summoning, and blessings lore provide very tangible offensive benefits.