Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:24 PM CST
And, because I think it's both telling and funny. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

waiting. . .

Doug
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:25 PM CST
>What about Time Stop (950)?

A 1-3x a day offensive spell of any kind is essentially useless or irrelevant when talking about sustainable combat.

Note that both 1150 and 350 are simply utility spells because a level 50 spell shouldn't impact something you actually have to do on a regular basis, instead of in a true emergency.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:28 PM CST
Thank you.

>>A 1-3x a day offensive spell of any kind is essentially useless or irrelevant when talking about sustainable combat.

I disagree. If 80% plus of the use cases are covered, that means we need something to deal with less than 20%. And if it does turn out to be 'no mistake, no miss, can't be stepped around', it will be more powerful than anything else available to any pure, in my view.

But, you do raise an excellent point about other high mana sustainable utilities. That might be something worth factoring for, too. Thanks for reminding me.

Doug
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:29 PM CST
>>And if it does turn out to be 'no mistake, no miss, can't be stepped around', it will be more powerful than anything else available to any pure, in my view.

Err. . . let me amend that quickly before someone else points out cleric get out of jail free (while rescuing? NOT) card.

Doug
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:32 PM CST
>Err. . . let me amend that quickly before someone else points out cleric get out of jail free (while rescuing? NOT) card.

Kindly don't forget about that 76-88% effective 716 as illustrated in my other thread. Oh right, both of those are under level 20 spells. Why are we forfeiting our single level 50 spot to achieve the same or lesser functionality as any other pure again?
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:34 PM CST
>Of spells that I classify as something that could be commonly cast, the bottom 3 spells all live in the Empath/Major Spiritual Circles.

I wonder if this could possibly be because major spiritual spells are among the most protected in the lands and are rarely sold off the shelf like all of the other wizard spells of all circles? Or the fact that herbs and other empath wound cleanup exists to minimize the casting of certain healing spells.

This seems to be yet another case of punishing wizards with excessively punitive nerfs because of the prevalence of pocket mages while doing nothing but protecting and further encouraging the raising of pocket mages at the expense of post-cap power after the nerfing is done.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:35 PM CST
> I wonder if this could possibly be because major spiritual spells are among the most protected in the lands and are rarely sold off the shelf like all of the other wizard spells of all circles?

As much as I would like your reason to be the reason why this is true, it is not. It is because the spells simply aren't used.

> Or the fact that herbs and other empath wound cleanup exists to minimize the casting of certain healing spells.

Empathic healing spells are not anywhere near the bottom 3.

~ Konacon
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:51 PM CST
>> I think we are not speaking on the same page regarding boosters etc and desired effects. To achieve parity in offensive capabilities, all pures need reliable (read: guaranteed at a sufficiently post-cap and enhanced level) crowd control and instant kill mechanisms. That is, effective panic buttons and boosters.

Okay. At least I see where some of the perspective difference are. Thanks for clarifying!

I guess where we disagree is that I see the current implementation of RapidFire as a panic button and booster where I guess you see it as... something else? That doesn't mean there isn't opportunity for improvement here though. Looking back at the list of group disablers I posted I would happily drop most of our group disablers in exchange for something with a bit more kick.

>> Wizards used to be able to rely on 519 to either outright disable or significantly damage, if not outright kill, creatures.

As someone who used immolation as a staple disabler spell prior to the changes, I honestly feel the spell is still able to disable effectively even with the reduced chance to kill. Agreed that it isn't what it once was as a primary hunting / killing spell.

So I think we all agree there are opportunities for improvement / enhancement of wizards at this point. A lot was taken away with very little given back. Two main hunting styles were pretty much trashed without any significant improvements or benefits to offset this. I'm disappointed on many levels as well even though I'm trying to keep an open mind about the changes. That said, let's identify what is working, what isn't working, and see what we can do to improve things. I think it is important that we are both accurate and specific in what we are saying isn't working if we expect to see any improvements made though.

And point taken on 340, I read up on the spell after you posted it didn't take 40 mana per use.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 09:58 PM CST
>So I think we all agree there are opportunities for improvement / enhancement of wizards at this point. A lot was taken away with very little given back. Two main hunting styles were pretty much trashed without any significant improvements or benefits to offset this. I'm disappointed on many levels as well even though I'm trying to keep an open mind about the changes.

I agree with all of this. Particularly, the emphasis should be on preserving power ceilings at the post-cap level as much as possible, as is still the case with every other pure class, before protecting all the pocket mages and enchanters who don't even have to hunt anything dangerous to get by. When someone has 13m+ exp, they should be supremely powerful, not simply marginally more so than the 7.5m exp freshly capped or overtrained level 90 wizard.

The 515 cooldown, in particular, needs to be revisited at the post-cap and enhanced level. It's a severe nerf from the first nerf.

Please make the profession fun to play again at the post-cap level and not a more fun combat strategy to 515 some other pure and watch them demolish the room with cheaper and more effective spells instead.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 10:02 PM CST
>Of spells that I classify as something that could be commonly cast, the bottom 3 spells all live in the Empath/Major Spiritual Circles.

Oooh, I like this game.

Hmmm, I'm gonna go with:

Cry for Help (1116)
Frenzy (216)
and uh...
Single target Interference (212)

>Or the fact that herbs and other empath wound cleanup exists to minimize the casting of certain healing spells.
I can't think of the last time my empath got a cleanup. They're harder to come by these days unless you're fastidious about stopping Troll's Blood when you come back to town.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 10:07 PM CST
>Empathic healing spells are not anywhere near the bottom 3.

This is probably a fruitless discussion, but I would guess the lack of usage of many spells in other profession circles is due to the fact that the other 3 pures still rely on a handful of super boosted and enhanced CS spells to get the instant kill done. Most people hunt as quickly as possible.

The problem is that now wizards have been given more "flavor", yet all of the combined options still don't result in as effective a kill or hunt as any of the other pures can achieve at the post-cap level due to the limitations of attrition-based bolting vs. what excessive warding margin can achieve. The power disparity is now significant, while pre-nerf wizards used to be able to more or less accomplish the same thing in different ways.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 10:10 PM CST
Cry for Help (1116)
Frenzy (216)
and uh...
Single target Interference (212)

Those were my guesses, too! Although personally I use 212 more often than 217 (which is still not very often at all).

But I'm very surprised 330 didn't make the bottom 3.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 10:11 PM CST
Again, the fact that many post-cap wizards see war maging as the least punitive option left to us is discouraging. The fact is, effective CS spells can be controlled, trained for, and enhanced to guarantee success for all other pures. Likewise, aimed shots are something that can be trained and controlled.

Random, attrition-based bolts and maneuver-based disablers both rely far too heavily on luck to be satisfactory to me post-cap. A post-cap wizard should have more control than ever over the effectiveness of their bolts and disablers, not still have to hope and pray, while none of the other pures has to do that for anything barring a fumble.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 10:27 PM CST

Untrammel, living spell, and empathy?
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 11:16 PM CST
>>Please make the profession fun to play again at the post-cap level and not a more fun combat strategy to 515 some other pure and watch them demolish the room with cheaper and more effective spells instead.

While I don't agree with some of what I'm going to call (rightly or no) anecdotal information sharing - in particular the warmage is the least punitive post-cap path as declared by the masses of wizards (well post-cap, I can and do use either quite well, thank you) - I will say this:

I do absolutely agree with the motive behind the quoted plea. Fun is and should be one of the more enduring traits we should aspire to, at all levels.

Doug
Re: Immolation (519) 01/26/2016 11:19 PM CST
I'ma roll with

1) Untrammel,
2) Darkness (safe bet to freebie here)
3) Cry for Help

Doug
Re: Immolation (519) 01/27/2016 12:12 AM CST
Uhm. It's an escape/emergency button, like you've posted and asked for or stated didn't exist.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/27/2016 08:13 AM CST
I won't argue with you if you feel that rapid fire and immolate were overpowered. But your desire to see wizards get their comeuppance shouldn't override your ability to reason. You know this game has poor balance. It always has. Don't blame players and wish for other classes to receive poor balancing decisions that detract from the overall product. It's self-destructive.

The fact is they took what was previously a hunting staple and apparently turned it into an "emergency disabler" - of which we actually have many, last I checked? I don't see that immolate currently serves any purpose at all. If I wanted to knock something down and prevent it from attacking I can do that to everything in the area for less mana using any number of spells available to the wizard class. We didn't need a disabler. We did need a hunting staple to give me something other than firing off one bolt after another endlessly.

There must exist a balance between "so overpowered you never use anything else" and "so weak and costly that you never really use it." We're really starting to accumulate in that latter category!

~Taverkin
Re: Immolation (519) 01/27/2016 11:43 AM CST
>Heh. Good cine-ref. Not mainstream, but still kitschy

WAT

https://youtu.be/GlhOUyy4wbs
Re: Immolation (519) 01/27/2016 12:45 PM CST
1) Cry for Help
2) Empathic Link (so infrequently used that everyone forgot it exists!)
3) Frenzy

Doug, Untrammel is a staple defensive spell that is casted in mana spellup if you have the requisite lore now. :) (dispel fodder)

I don't know that the comparisons to other pures are helping any here, except maybe the request for a one-time CS booster and/or Saturation no longer requiring a warding check?

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Immolation (519) 01/27/2016 04:20 PM CST
I had Empathic Link on my list instead of Interference for a while, but it's such a cool (if frustrating to use) spell that I figure someone out there has to be using it to hunt. Right? Maybe?
Re: Immolation (519) 02/15/2016 11:29 AM CST
Was tasked to take out a mean old magus so while I was tracking it down I decided to see if EVOKE method of Immolation would be useful at all in my arsenal. I set my INCANT to EVOKE 519.

>incant set
INCANT CHANNEL Spells:
- None
INCANT EVOKE Spells:
- 909: Tremors
- 519: Immolation
INCANT OPEN Spells:
- None

I used the spell at first by PREP 519 and then EVOKE {target}. It seemed to work as intended. The magus I used it on and the several warriors I used it on, they dropped and rolled around trying to put the fire out. Since I had my INCANT set to EVOKE, I just started using INCANT 519 and the results seemed different. I didn't get my targets to roll around, they just ran off (warriors) or stood there, got a minor stun or two and then proceeded to prep a spell or stand up.

Here's the last magus I used my INCANT 519 on:

>incant 519
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a minotaur magus.
CS: +411 - TD: +332 + CvA: +9 + d100: +73 == +161
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a minotaur magus and he bursts into flame causing 21 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to right hand. Gonna need lots of butter.
The minotaur magus is stunned!
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to chest make you wish you never heard of heartburn.
... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to chest. That hurts a bit.
The flames around a minotaur magus continue to burn!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
The flames surrounding a minotaur magus flare up violently...
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames char chest a crispy black.
The minotaur magus is stunned!
The flames around a minotaur magus continue to burn!

(here 3 seconds has passed, I went to cast 415 just to try and knock the magus down)

>incant 415
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Strike...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a minotaur magus.
CS: +397 - TD: +330 + CvA: +9 + d100: +34 == +110
Warding failed!
You blast a minotaur magus for 18 points of damage.
... 10 points of damage!
Light blow to back.
>stance off
A minotaur magus begins rumbling while making mystic gestures through the air.

The magus is prepping a spell 6 seconds after I hit him with a decent shot of an EVOKE 519. He took 2 minor stuns and my low roll on 415 didn't do anything useful to him. He was acting like I simply cast 519 at him and didn't EVOKE it.

I didn't save the hunt to a log and I can't scroll back far enough to get a clip from the last warrior I used my EVOKE set INCANT 519 on. But the last warrior took a decent endroll, then he ran off. He came back into the room about 5 seconds later and was still burning from the initial cast. I used TAP to self cast Tremors and he stood up immediately so I put him down with Ewave and then bolted him until he died.

Maybe I just had bad luck? But it doesn't feel like the spell was working as it should have been when I had 519 set to use ENVOKE when I INCANT.

-Drumpel
Re: Immolation (519) 02/17/2016 05:56 PM CST
>inc 519 evoke
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a greater water elemental.
CS: +544 - TD: +570 + CvA: +25 + d100: +95 == +94
Warded off!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a greater water elemental for a moment, then dissipate.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Inc 519 evoke gives 3 seconds of hard RT, so it does not override incant channel settings even for single use.
Re: Immolation (519) 02/18/2016 12:57 PM CST
That TD seems fair and balanced. Because spending 30-60 mana just to make something wardable is fun and exciting.

~ Methais
Re: Immolation (519) 02/18/2016 01:10 PM CST
>That TD seems fair and balanced. Because spending 30-60 mana just to make something wardable is fun and exciting.

If only wizards could summon up TD like that.
Re: Immolation (519) 02/18/2016 01:33 PM CST
>If only wizards could summon up TD like that.

Would be nice. I'm fine with being a glass cannon though.

The only problem is we're all glass and no cannon now.

~ Methais
Re: Immolation (519) 02/18/2016 02:43 PM CST
>The only problem is we're all glass and no cannon now.

Haha. That's a new one, but yes.
Re: Immolation (519) 02/21/2016 09:34 AM CST
My understanding of how EVOKE Immolation works is that critters will generally choose to roll around when they are on fire, but not always choose to do this. If in fact they should always choose to stop, drop, and roll then the spell is not presently working as intended. I pretty much left the full log without edits (other than bolding) to assist in reviewing:

My INCANT Setup

>incant set

INCANT CHANNEL Spells:
- None

INCANT EVOKE Spells:

INCANT OPEN Spells:
- None

Unedited log - It's the combatant that has the issue?

>s
[Ruined Temple, Third Floor]
A mountain of rubble blocks passage to the east, rising nearly to the top of the remaining walls. While the debris appears packed together at the base, traversing the upper portion is hazardous. The damaged floor wears a visible slant in one area, with seawater from below pooling in the corner. You also see a spectral triton defender.
Obvious paths: north, east
>
.cc immolation

[Press the ESCape key to abort script.]
stance offensive
incant immolation
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a spectral triton defender.
CS: +535 - TD: +400 + CvA: +25 + d100: +82 == +242
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a spectral triton defender and he bursts into flame causing 49 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Vicious blow to neck might have been fatal a few centuries ago.
... 20 points of damage!
Strong hit rips arm from wrist to elbow.
The wound vanishes as the ethereal flesh swirls around in chaotic patterns.
... 10 points of damage!
Wild attack passes through the right leg, viciously assaulting the air!

The flames around a spectral triton defender continue to burn!
>
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>
A triton combatant strides in, a wary look on his face.
>
.cc immolation com

TARGET com
stance offensive
You are now targeting incant immolation
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
a triton combatant.
>You are now in an offensive stance.
>
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton combatant.
CS: +535 - TD: +402 + CvA: +20 + d100: +14 == +167
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a triton combatant and he bursts into flame causing 24 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Burst of flames to left leg blackens kneecap.
... 20 points of damage!
Burst of flames to left leg burns skin bright red.
... 15 points of damage!
Minor burns to right arm. That hurts a bit.
... 10 points of damage!

The flames around a triton combatant continue to burn!
>
>look
A mountain of rubble blocks passage to the east, rising nearly to the top of the remaining walls. While the debris appears packed together at the base, traversing the upper portion is hazardous. The damaged floor wears a visible slant in one area, with seawater from below pooling in the corner. You also see a triton combatant and a spectral triton defender.
Obvious paths: north, east
>
A spectral triton defender falls to the ground and rolls, trying to smother the flames that surround it.
The flames surrounding a spectral triton defender continue to burn.
>
.cc 908 defe

TARGET defe
stance offensive
You are now targeting incant 908
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
a spectral triton defender.
>
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at a spectral triton defender!
AS: +510 vs DS: +269 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +38 = +301
... and hit for 71 points of damage!
A fine strike immobilizes the left leg for an instant.
The triton defender looks miffed.
The roaring ball of fire strikes a spectral triton defender, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 10 points of damage!
Direct assault cleaves straight through the breastbone.
Alas, it mends before you can make a wish.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a triton combatant.
... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to right hand. Ouch.
>
>
The flames surrounding a spectral triton defender flare up violently...
... 15 points of damage!
Quick strike connects with the triton defender's lower back!
Luckily there was nothing vital there.

The flames around a spectral triton defender continue to burn!
>
.cc 908

stance offensive
incant 908
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
AS: +514 vs DS: +252 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +3 = +287
... and hit for 60 points of damage!
Strong hit rips arm from wrist to elbow.
The wound vanishes as the ethereal flesh swirls around in chaotic patterns.
The roaring ball of fire strikes a spectral triton defender, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 5 points of damage!
Left ankle stung!
The triton defender stamps in silent annoyance.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a triton combatant.
... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to left leg. That hurts a bit.
>
>
The flames surrounding a triton combatant flare up violently...
... 25 points of damage!
Burst of flames chars neck a crispy black.

>
.cc 908

stance offensive
incant 908
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
AS: +518 vs DS: +236 with AvD: +22 + d100 roll: +39 = +343
... and hit for 85 points of damage!
Hard strike shatters arm into vapor.
The arm reforms before your eyes!
The spectral form of the triton defender tenses in agony as he begins to dissolve from the bottom up!

... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to right leg. That hurts a bit.
>
>sea defe
You search the triton defender.
You discard the defender's useless equipment.
He didn't carry any silver.
Interesting, he carried a blue crystal on him.
He had nothing else of value.
The triton defender fades into transparency, his remnants rapidly dissolving into the air.
>
A triton combatant thrusts with an oak-shafted silvery blue trident at you!
AS: +434 vs DS: +685 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +47 = -176
A clean miss.
>
.get cry

put in my
get cry
I could not find what you were referring to.
[Script]>You pick up a blue crystal.
put cry in my voluminous haversack
[Script]>get from my

[Script finished!]
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
You put a blue crystal in your voluminous haversack.
[Script]>Get what?
[Script]>incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Minor Fire...
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a stream of fire at a triton combatant!
AS: +510 vs DS: +304 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +12 = +244
... and hit for 54 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right arm burns skin bright red.
>
>
A triton combatant falls to the ground and rolls, trying to smother the flames that surround it.
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +514 vs DS: +239 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +25 = +326
... and hit for 94 points of damage!
Nasty burns to back. Won't be sleeping on that for awhile.
>
>
... 3 points of damage!
Minor burns to left arm. That hurts a bit.

>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>Wait 1 sec.
>
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +518 vs DS: +221 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +14 = +337
... and hit for 107 points of damage!
Flames cook a triton combatant's abdomen. Looks about medium well.
The triton combatant gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on his face.
>
>

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 02/21/2016 11:18 AM CST
One more example of the same 'issue'?

In this example I don't believe any RT is being applied from the flames. Pretty much immediately after the flames flaring up, the combatant attacked (so I would expect that it should be trying to roll on the ground if it can do something and I additionally expect that it shouldn't be able to do anything at this point in time due to being in hard RT).

At which point(s) are RT supposed to be induced with the EVOKE version of Immolation?

-- Robert

>e
Through the narrow corridor flanked by towering columns, the wind howls like some haunting specter. A mountainous pile of collapsed wall lies to the south, leaving behind no clues as to what once lay there. Marking a navigable trail is a headless statue, a portion of its stoic face staring up from the ground. You also see a triton combatant.
Obvious paths: east, southeast, west
>
.cc immolation

stance offensive
incant immolation
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
CS: +535 - TD: +390 + CvA: +20 + d100: +16 == +181
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a triton combatant and she bursts into flame causing 33 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Flames incinerate muscle tissue in neck exposing the trachea. More than you ever wanted to see.
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to right arm. Gonna need lots of butter.
... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to back. Looks uncomfortable.

>
>
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
>
A triton executioner leaps from hiding to attack!
A triton executioner swings a coral-hilted sharply tapered longsword at you!
AS: +433 vs DS: +681 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +21 = -188
A clean miss.
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +485 vs DS: +406 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +16 = +121
... and hit for 7 points of damage!
Burst of flames to abdomen. Didn't hurt much.
>
>
.cc 908 exe

TARGET exe
stance offensive
You are now targeting incant 908
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
a triton executioner.
>
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton executioner.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at a triton executioner!
AS: +485 vs DS: +326 with AvD: +57 + d100 roll: +61 = +277
... and hit for 103 points of damage!
Head reduced to a charred stump.
The triton executioner collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on her face before expiring.
The roaring ball of fire strikes a triton executioner, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.

... 10 points of damage!
Burst of flames to chest toasts skin nicely.
>
>sea exe
You search the triton executioner.
You discard the executioner's useless equipment.
She didn't carry any silver.
She had nothing of interest.
A triton executioner's slick skin begins to rapidly desiccate and dissolve away, leaving nothing behind.
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +485 vs DS: +406 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +98 = +203
... and hit for 39 points of damage!
Burst of flames to left hand fries palm. Ouch!
>
>
... 3 points of damage!

>
AS: +414 vs DS: +681 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +9 = -230
A clean miss.
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +489 vs DS: +276 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +2 = +241
... and hit for 54 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right arm toasts skin to elbows.
>
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
In an awe inspiring display of combat mastery, a triton combatant engages you in a furious dance macabre, spiralling into a blur of strikes and ripostes!
AS: +404 vs DS: +681 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +41 = -208
A clean miss.

AS: +404 vs DS: +681 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +93 = -156
A clean miss.

AS: +404 vs DS: +681 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +84 = -165
A clean miss.

A heavy barrier of stone momentarily forms around you and blocks the attack!

[Script]>incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +493 vs DS: +267 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +6 = +258
... and hit for 67 points of damage!
Flames incinerate left arm to the bone. Not a pleasant sight.
>
>
... 10 points of damage!
Burst of flames to chest toasts skin nicely.

>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
AS: +497 vs DS: +244 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +58 = +337
... and hit for 107 points of damage!
Flames cook a triton combatant's back. Looks about medium well.
The triton combatant collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on her face before expiring.
>

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 02/25/2016 09:28 PM CST
Bumping this thread.

Is this being looked into or am I not understanding the new version of the spell correctly?

At what point is RT supposed to be incurred with the Disabler (Evoke) version of this spell? Is there anything that allows the critters to mitigate this?

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 02/25/2016 10:39 PM CST

How can you question the power of our 19 mana disabler that does little damage? Come now, surely this is fun!
Re: Immolation (519) 02/26/2016 08:53 AM CST
>> How can you question the power of our 19 mana disabler that does little damage? Come now, surely this is fun!

It's only 15 mana to cast as a disabler now but it doesn't seem to be working as advertised (or I'm not understanding correctly how it should be working). Clarification either way would be appreciated.

-- Robert

Re: Immolation (519) 02/26/2016 09:10 AM CST
>It's only 15 mana to cast as a disabler now but it doesn't seem to be working as advertised (or I'm not understanding correctly how it should be working). Clarification either way would be appreciated.

Just cast Mana Leech, it's the answer to everything including why our other spells suck.

~ Methais
Re: Immolation (519) 02/26/2016 11:25 AM CST
>It's only 15 mana to cast as a disabler now but it doesn't seem to be working as advertised (or I'm not understanding correctly how it should be working). Clarification either way would be appreciated.
Just cast Mana Leech, it's the answer to everything including why our other spells suck.
~ Methais

I don't really use the spell. I tried a few hunts to use the "disabler" version of the spell, but it seemed inconsistent. Most of the time the target would stop, drop and roll and stop doing other actions. Other times the target would basically just shrug it off while they still burned and tried to kick the crap out of me.

The disabler version seems to be kind of working.

I don't do fire lore with my wizard so I just pretty much avoid the spell anyway. Just my two cents.

-Drumpel
Re: Immolation (519) 03/12/2016 10:05 AM CST
I took a couple weeks off from hunting. Came back this weekend and this spell is still broken (or it just sucks if it is working as intended). The spell has definitely gotten bad enough that I've switched my tactics to using Call Wind a lot more frequently.

Is anyone looking into this? Is it working as intended? Have we just thrown up our arms with this spell and moved on to new projects? Bueller?

It's a sad day when it doesn't bother people when they have been set on fire any more!

Here are a couple more clips of this stellar spell in action. Some bonus irony in these clips in that I actually did kill a combatant using the disabler version of Immolation so I guess you can argue that at least he was disabled. And, of course, Call Wind didn't have any effect on the sentry. I'm going to try over training in wizard spell ranks in the near future to see if that gives a noticable boost to my Call Wind success rate. I am hoping it does given it's success against lower level critters (currently at 101 wizard spell ranks).

>incant set

INCANT CHANNEL Spells:
- None

INCANT EVOKE Spells:

INCANT OPEN Spells:
- None

.cc immolation
stance offensive
incant immolation
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an ethereal triton sentry.
CS: +535 - TD: +483 + CvA: +25 + d100: +92 == +169
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around an ethereal triton sentry and she bursts into flame causing 34 points of damage!
... 50 points of damage!
Brutal assault cuts a swath through the torso!
Fortunately for the triton sentry, it doesn't need lungs.
... 30 points of damage!
Strong blow to the head!
The triton sentry enjoys the breeze.
... 10 points of damage!
... 3 points of damage!
Glancing blow to the right arm leaves a trail of vapor in its wake.

The flames around an ethereal triton sentry continue to burn!
>
>look
[Ruined Temple, Nexus]
A single stone stand rests in the center of the balcony, and a smooth stone statue, masterfully carved to resemble a single droplet of water, is placed on top of it. Water gently flows back and forth about the area, making a soft splash as the waves contact the stone stand. Two stone causeways, one wide and one elaborately carved, ascend from the balcony to the east and west, and each is supported by a series of marble pillars. You also see an ethereal triton sentry and some muck.
Obvious exits: none
>
>
.cc callwind

stance offensive
incant callwind
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
>Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Call Wind...
Your spell is ready.
A gust of wind tugs at your sleeves. Suddenly, a fierce wind rips through the area, scattering everything in its path and making it difficult to remain standing.
The wind then subsides.
>
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a stream of fire at an ethereal triton sentry!
AS: +510 vs DS: +425 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +16 = +135
... and hit for 27 points of damage!
>
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a stream of fire at an ethereal triton sentry!
AS: +514 vs DS: +425 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +15 = +138
... and hit for 26 points of damage!
Quick strike rips left arm open!
To your dismay it quickly closes on its own.
>
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
An ethereal triton sentry points an ethereal, clawed finger toward you!
CS: +451 - TD: +488 + CvA: +12 + d100: +6 - -5 == -14
Warded off!
>

Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton radical.
CS: +535 - TD: +440 + CvA: +20 + d100: +42 == +157
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a triton radical and he bursts into flame causing 15 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Flames incinerate left leg to the bone. Not a pleasant sight.
It is knocked to the ground!
... 20 points of damage!
Flames incinerate muscle tissue in neck exposing the trachea. More than you ever wanted to see.
... 10 points of damage!
Burst of flames to head catches ears on fire! Yeeoww!

The flames around a triton radical continue to burn!
>
>look
[Ruined Temple, Second Floor]
Aside from the water that has flooded the area, the room is plain. A single iron sconce remains attached to the wall, and the remains of another rests below the surface of the water. You also see a triton radical that is lying down, a triton combatant, some muck and a door at the top of a small set of stairs.
Obvious exits: northeast, east
>
>
[Roll result: 187 (open d100: 94)]
A triton combatant rushes towards you and connects with a shoulder check!
The triton combatant manages to knock you flat on your back! 17 hits!

Roundtime: 12 sec.
Roundtime changed to 6 seconds.
>
.cc immolation com

You feel more refreshed.
[Script]>
In an awe inspiring display of combat mastery, a triton combatant engages you in a furious dance macabre, spiralling into a blur of strikes and ripostes!
AS: +424 vs DS: +644 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +72 = -120
A clean miss.

AS: +424 vs DS: +644 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +15 = -177
A clean miss.

AS: +424 vs DS: +644 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +8 = -184
A clean miss.

AS: +424 vs DS: +644 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +74 = -118
A clean miss.

[Script]>TARGET com
stance offensive
You are now targeting incant immolation
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
a triton combatant.
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +535 - TD: +390 + CvA: +20 + d100: +24 == +189
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a triton combatant and he bursts into flame causing 22 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
a triton combatant takes a breath of super-heated air and expires gasping.
The triton combatant collapses to the floor with a splash, gurgling once with a wrathful look on his face before expiring.
>
>stand
You stand back up.
>sea com
You search the triton combatant.
You discard the combatant's useless equipment.
He didn't carry any silver.
He had nothing of interest.
A triton combatant's body sinks into the water, quickly scattering and dissolving out of sight.
>look
[Ruined Temple, Second Floor]
Aside from the water that has flooded the area, the room is plain. A single iron sconce remains attached to the wall, and the remains of another rests below the surface of the water. You also see the purple Faulkil disk, a triton radical that is lying down, some muck and a door at the top of a small set of stairs.
Obvious exits: northeast, east
>
.cc 906

stance offensive
incant 906
stance defensive

[Script finished!]
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton radical.
You hurl a stream of fire at a triton radical!
AS: +510 vs DS: +379 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +43 = +201
... and hit for 52 points of damage!
Burst of flames char chest a crispy black.
>
>
A triton radical stands up with a grunt.

-- Robert

Raggler squeakily says, "Muffins are also known to be one of the most healthiest foods in the world."

Raggler squeakily says, "It's a fact."
Re: Immolation (519) 03/12/2016 11:32 AM CST

There is just no reason to cast it as a disabler. Its disheartening that development finds this acceptable alternative.
Re: Immolation (519) 03/12/2016 01:38 PM CST
It's acceptable to have to cast Immolate 4783290427 times and plink them to death because we have Mana Leech, so says Estild.

The previous sentence may have been hyperbolic. But only slightly.

~ Methais
Re: Immolation (519) 03/12/2016 01:45 PM CST
> have to cast Immolate 4783290427 times
> The previous sentence may have been hyperbolic. But only slightly.

Only slightly? :|

~ Konacon
Re: Immolation (519) 03/12/2016 01:52 PM CST
>Only slightly? :|

Ok ok, fairly hyperbolic! Possibly somewhat and maybe even decent, but not heavy!

~ Methais
Re: Immolation (519) 03/14/2016 12:14 AM CDT

519 just...ugh. It just isn't good enough.

Have you tried 415? Be curious to see your results with it. Although it does cost 20 mana rather than 15, you should see MUCH better damage and critters flat on their back in most instances. If you have the CS to ward that is.