Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
SLS wants YOU! 09/19/2008 09:59 PM CDT
Changing the subject so it fits better.

What would make you want to use SLS?

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/19/2008 11:24 PM CDT
>What would make you want to use SLS?

First, stop this kind of nonsense. Sphere wasn't even a minute old...

>The rising sun slowly fights its way through a heavy blanket of clouds, bringing a wan light to chase the darkness.
>
>A translucent azure sphere suddenly flares with a cold light and vaporizes!

Cut its remaining life span in half, cut the damage it does in half, but geez just going poof immediately after its summoned just kills me.

Second. Fix its advancing on targets. I want to stress here that I haven't used the spell for hunting with in years, so if this was changed all ready I apologize. But memory of how it worked (and may still work) has kept me from even bothering to cast it except to look at the pretty colors. Basically, if I keep retreating from the target, the sphere will never get to the target. Critter hits pole to me, sphere hits pole to critter, I retreat, critter hits pole to me, sphere hits pole to critter, I retreat, ad nauseum. If I have to cast a second spell, such as mind blast or hypnotyze, well, I might as well just go ahead and use TKT or PD and forget about the sphere all together. Which is, in fact, what I do.

Third. Give me an enchantment of some sort that I can create to summon spheres during day time. Limit it to the creator of the enchantment if you must have some limits. Or maybe have it be at half the power the mage creating the enchantment can cast the spell at.

-Wildluck
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/19/2008 11:43 PM CDT
Either leave all its restrictions and decrease its pulse time. I think I heard that it pulses actions every 6 seconds, reducing that to 4 seconds would make it an impressive spell. Also the rate at which it engages a target should be made more reasonable. It takes forever to get to melee before taking action.

Otherwise keep it on its regular action pulse and remove the debilitating restrictions like the night-only, the reduced power with cloud cover, and/or the terrible nerve damage in water.

It only takes one of those two changes to make it a spell I could see myself using.

|
|
| Oban |
| ~House of Mestofolles~ |
|
|
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 12:11 AM CDT
>What would make you want to use SLS?

Downsides to SLS:
1. 50% of the time it can't even be cast.
2. Very slow.
3. Extreme environmental penalties that can trigger even in unexpected and nonsensical places.

For a Tier 4 spell with THREE penalties that would suggest a significant power boost as a trade off, we get...

Upsides to SLS:
1. Good Mana:Kill ratio.
2. Nice messaging.

For starters 2 is fluff so we're left with 1. Okay, while it's nice to be able to kill 5 enemies with 20 mana, doing it over the course of 3 minutes is not impressive. At high levels the benefits of being a Moon Mage kick in and I can unleash a barrage of Partial Displacements that kill twice as fast and barely move my attunement either.

I've suggested this before and I think it would it make the spell valuable enough to use in a "buff" fashion:

1) Point sphere at <self> - Put SLS in a defensive posture where it will stay by the mage's side and begin to attack targets as they reach melee with no spell approach time.

Other possible uptweaks:

2) Speed it way up. Make the "wind up" and attack pulse times more like CRS.

3) Power way up. One pulse of a 20 mana SLS does not appear to do any more damage than a 20 mana Tier 1 or 2 TM spell in small samples. They both take 1-3 on weak enemies and 2-4 at level, on average. The advantage goes to the "other" spell in that it can strike faster without significantly impacting the attunement of a careful mage with decent skills.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 12:17 AM CDT
I like Kougen's suggestions.

Honestly, SLS gets huge points for style with me. I would pick up the spell if it lost the day/night restriction (make it stronger at night and weaker during the day, whatever; just because it's day doesn't mean the stars vanish) and lost the environmental restrictions i.e. exploding in water rooms.

Allowing us to use it as a defensive spell for stuff that gets to pole/melee would be awesome.

The biggest thing is still the night-only thing though. :\ The "power" of the spell does not justify this restriction IMO.

Rev. Reene

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, you move.'"
- Captain America
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 01:04 AM CDT
>Honestly, SLS gets huge points for style with me.

I'll echo this. In terms of pure "style" SLS is probably my favorite spell. At least top 3. It even inspired my custom title.

I forgot to mention the additional reduction of power with cloud cover, too. Is mana efficiency really THAT powerful for the guild that, quite frankly, outgrows the need to worry about mana efficiency?

I'd throw my cambrinth away if it wasn't the only way to learn MD.

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:33 AM CDT
I think Kougen pretty much nailed it. I especially like the 'point at self' suggestion. As the slowest spell in the game, the main feature is mana efficiency. It would be fine as-is if you could forget the spell. But as it is, it just ends up being a wasted spell.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:37 AM CDT
>> As the slowest spell in the game,

Ball lightning.

Rev. Reene

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, you move.'"
- Captain America
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:50 AM CDT
Ok, second slowest. Although in my experience people use ball lightning as a training spell, not a hunting spell.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 03:48 AM CDT
I haven't used it since 2.1 came out, but really... some way to cast it during the day. The sun is a constellation! Of... one, particullarly close, star.

I mean of your T4 combat spells you have:
PD - Requires no other TM spells. Fully functional, TM spell with no limitations on casting.
CrS - Requires no other TM spells. Non targettable TM spell with a delay to hit, but frequently double hits, with no limitations on casting.
SLS - Requires two other TM spells. Cannot be unlearned. Delay on hit. Only castable 50% of the time, and weakened by uncontrollable factors (clouds). Cannot be used with water. Non targettable. Hits a buncha times for the mana investment.

The perks of SLS boil down to "can attack something while you attack something else" and "Very mana efficent". As has been noted, at high levels, mana efficency when hunting is near meaningless. Mozzik isn't always there yet (Depends on the mana) but I'm not the most mana efficent guy and even in bad mana it's VERY rare that mana is my limiting factor for hunt duration. With just MB/Hypno and CrS I can take on 3-4 seperate critters at once just going down the line throwing off spikes, and MBing them if the spikes don't keep the stuns up themselves. I can do this at any time. Where would SLS fit into this? I mean... it's basically just be one more spike I'd have rolling around. If I'm hunting to kill most things die in 1-3 spikes. This means SLS won't even have time to do anything significant if I'm not vs 2+ things.

If we're assuming we're rebuilding the spell from the ground up...
Allow daylight casting, some way, somehow. Be it off the sun, or off the moons. I could deal with moons - fits with so many of our other hunting spells. Or make it weaker, and castable off out of season constellations (Since those are the ones that would be up during the day, no?). Also - Be gone cloud interaction. Far more annoying that it's worth for flavor.

Some sort of guarding mechanic would be neat, but I was also thinking like... if we could pour more mana into it over time, it could be more useful. A way to train devices in combat maybe? Not sure what pouring more mana into it would do persay... Extend a much shortened duration? Power boost it for awhile?

Like I could see if I'm frying my brain on PM/Harn and TM isn't locked up (A common event) using it to work TM more without working the other two by sending it after something.

Perhaps allow fine targetting? ie: point sphere at warrior left eye with a hefty RT but the next strike will go to that location?

SLS is a brilliant spell for flavor, and for crit messages. It's just... not very useful.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 03:48 AM CDT
<<Honestly, SLS gets huge points for style with me. I would pick up the spell if it lost the day/night restriction (make it stronger at night and weaker during the day, whatever; just because it's day doesn't mean the stars vanish)

I like the make it weaker during the day suggestions too, although they still won't solve the fact that the only perk (high dmg/mana ratio) is eventually outgrown. It has as she says huge style factor so I enjoy having it, but I'm not looking forward to the point when it becomes a spell I only cast for show.

<<1) Point sphere at <self> - Put SLS in a defensive posture where it will stay by the mage's side and begin to attack targets as they reach melee with no spell approach time.

I really like this idea.

-Evran

"Constitutions are meant to protect minorities -- not to take rights away from people." - Bruce Bastian
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 06:49 AM CDT
make it usable during the day

the light from constellations is still THERE, we just can't see it

-Strk
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 08:35 AM CDT
I have to echo the self point suggestion.

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 10:01 AM CDT
I always run around with a sphere, when conditions allow it. It is superb for crowd control when backtraining weapons, or for stealth hunting critters with too good ranged attacks.

It would be nice to have the sphere buffed a bit though, it is not too accurate or quick to attack for sure and the explode near water bit is a pretty annoying limitation.

I do not think, it makes much sense to make sls work during the day though,; how would one tell, which constellations are in season?

The defensive function proposed sounds pretty neat, but it might be easier simply to make it auto target a random critter engaged with the caster, if the sphere does not have a target. It would require a way to stop the sphere from attacking though.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 10:02 AM CDT
A "guard" option to SLS would be ideal. Set it to yourself and it'll automatically go to town on anything that is engaged with you.

Completely remove the water restriction.

Give it enough time to remain during the day so we can cast Tezirah's Veil on it to protect it from the sunlight. It'll have a new icy/shadowy set of messaging to go along with it.

Cast Unleash on it to blow it up!

PS - I heart spell combos.

-Coralin
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 10:16 AM CDT
>I do not think, it makes much sense to make sls work during the day though

I don't think it makes sense to spend a whole spell slot on half a spell.

-Strk
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 11:19 AM CDT
>>I don't think it makes sense to spend a whole spell slot on half a spell.

The day/night restriction is currently non-negotiable. If the inability to cast the spell during the day is offensive, then you made the correct choice to ignore the spell.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 12:14 PM CDT
I'm fine with the day night restriction as long as once the sun goes down i'm all "YES It's NIGHT TIME I can finaly Cast SLS!"

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 12:45 PM CDT
I'd consider picking it up if there was more to the spell aside from point, wait, kill. A defensive option, or Unleash intractable option would inspire me to pick this up.

Additionally, for realism, I think it should serve as a light source. My impression is (and correct me if this is wrong), that the spell creates a sphere roughly the size of a basketball, that is condensed stellar energy barely held together (BrrrrZAP!).

I guess what'd really seal the deal is intractability. For a spell that basically stands alone as a Stellar magic spell (The mirror does not make me think stars!), it would be nice if it had some sort of bleed over to just about every spell in our books, and instead of representing a niched hunting gimmick, represented a keystone of sorts for the rest of our magic, added complexity to play.

Maybe casting foundation spells from the different spellbooks on it, something neat happened. I've just got this image of SLS becoming something akin to a clerics OM, i.e., something around which a number of spells operate with increased functionality.

::looks around hopefully::

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 12:50 PM CDT
>> My impression is (and correct me if this is wrong), that the spell creates a sphere roughly the size of a basketball

IIRC the LOOK of one says that it's about the width of two fingers.

Rev. Reene

- Captain America
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 01:04 PM CDT
>>The day/night restriction is currently non-negotiable.

>I'm fine with the day night restriction as long as once the sun goes down i'm all "YES It's NIGHT TIME I can finaly Cast SLS!"

^ That.

Spells with 50% uptime are fine if they're 200% useful during that window, and I hope I did a fair and accurate job of explaining why I and others do not feel this is currently the case.

>Completely remove the water restriction.

At the VERY least the self-destruct feature should only be triggered in rooms with enough water to cause a roundtime and not random places that are merely BY water or have a pond in the room description.

Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 01:31 PM CDT
>>IIRC the LOOK of one says that it's about the width of two fingers.

>l sph
The sphere is a nearly translucent globe of light only two fingers in width.

>Unleash intractable option would inspire me to pick this up.
>Cast Unleash on it to blow it up!

SLS + Unleash = One-shot freezing AoE attack, like the water room pop but directed against critters?

Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:07 PM CDT
If the no casting during the day has to remain, that's likely a deal breaker right there for players I think unless it's so absurdly powerful during the night as to be unbalanced.

Perhaps some sort of compramise with a ritual component like IoE has?

Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:10 PM CDT
>I always run around with a sphere, when conditions allow it. It is superb for crowd control when backtraining weapons, or for stealth hunting critters with too good ranged attacks.

After discovering invisible streams a few times this way I stopped doing it. Dying in the ditch in xing gargoyles was the final straw.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 02:13 PM CDT
I'd like to echo the comment that water should only interact if players get roundtime. It is too hard to keep track of all the rooms with some type of water nearby otherwise, but RT rooms are something every player knows.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 04:58 PM CDT
>>I always run around with a sphere, when conditions allow it. It is >>superb for crowd control when backtraining weapons, or for stealth >>hunting critters with too good ranged attacks.

>After discovering invisible streams a few times this way I stopped >doing it. Dying in the ditch in xing gargoyles was the final straw.

Contingency ftw:p
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 07:13 PM CDT
>Contingency ftw:p

You can't contingency out of a premie hunting area. Mechanics ftl.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/20/2008 07:16 PM CDT
Wa Wa WAAAAAA

Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/21/2008 06:55 AM CDT
Premies get everything too easy anyway:p
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/21/2008 10:55 PM CDT
:::moon mage magic capstone idea bump:::
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/22/2008 05:50 AM CDT
The sphere behaviour could depend on the chosen constellation to a much larger degree.

I would like it to be able to;

Current behaviour aka point and nuke.
Auto attack randomly chosen opponent at melee or pole range.
Ditto for missile range.
Auto attack random target at melee, pole or missile range.
Auto attack my target.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/22/2008 12:21 PM CDT
Never gonna happen.

SLS is a total waste.

Defender Farluk Zoulvaun of the Monks, an Elven Moon Mage
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/22/2008 10:38 PM CDT
Why are you such a negative nancy?
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/22/2008 11:24 PM CDT
>>Why are you such a negative nancy?

Read his account name.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 12:24 AM CDT
My moonie doesn't have SLS yet but I've read that cloud cover lowers the effect of the spell. Perhaps you could cast Piercing Gaze on the sphere to let it see through the clouds and have the sphere at full strength. Like when Piercing Gaze is self cast for celestial observations in bad weather.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 12:51 AM CDT
Despite the attention on the cloud-cover modifier, in practice it's really tiny. The way the spell is set up, it's also not just a penalty.

I'm willing to consider killing the modifier (in both directions), but it'd effectively be only a psychological fix. I am intensely skeptical that, as the numbers stand, you would ever notice there is a modifier if you hadn't been told.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 01:24 AM CDT
I agree, cloud cover is not an issue.
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 01:42 AM CDT
As someone that uses SLS if you say the cloud cover bonus is inconsequetial (I know I mangled that word) then the focus would best be somewhere else. So what would you say, as a staff member, is a realistic expectation for making SLS on par (or closer) to PD and CrS?
Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 01:44 AM CDT
>I am intensely skeptical that, as the numbers stand, you would ever notice there is a modifier if you hadn't been told.

The point was to compare and contrast the known negatives with the positives, and this was introduced to us as a penalty in this case. If a clear sky is considered a "bonus" to a baseline centered around partial cover and it's internally balanced I wouldn't expect it to factor in to new suggestions, but it was kind of an afterthought anyway.

Without some feedback I think we've exhausted our ideas and opinions for now.

Re: SLS wants YOU! 09/23/2008 01:48 AM CDT
>>Without some feedback I think we've exhausted our ideas and opinions for now.

Oh, oh, oh, I got one.

Hamster ball. I want to be a rolling ball of starry, frigid death. Apparently requisite, self-deprecating humor should make references to Mysterio.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6