Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 05:29 AM CST
I wanted to put this in its right place, however...

Unless the idea of saying there should be no closed/guarded was some sort of sarcasm that just flew over my head, it is not a great idea. There is no reason to force everyone pvp open on the account of a few abusers of the system. People can be held accountable to their actions, to a point, under normal "consent". Instead of complaining about what is wrong I would like to echo a couple suggested fixes and some other thoughts.

As a disclaimer, I am set to guarded, not because I want to play policy and grief people, but because I really don't want to deal with random, non-rp related pvp. Which in essence I feel was what this setting was made for (though I could be wrong).

1. Spouse consent for open characters (I don't think it is there yet).

2. First strike equals open... you play you pay.

3. Murder under justice system results in greater punishment. Ability to report murderers to guards at provincial centers, like stealing but with broader range. Instead of fines murders could result in execution or banishment for multiple ones for a period of time. If there was real IG consequences for "murder" I think people would take a moment to think is it worth it.

These are just ideas. I think the profile system is a good way to give people a heads up to what your general inclinations are. However, it may need fine tuning, it should not be a tool to harass others, and it should not be this hard to use as it is pretty straight forward.

So in closing, if people grew up, took responsibility for their actions and remembered this is in the end a game we would not even need to worry about profiles.

Thank you,

Player of Lomelinde
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 01:02 PM CST
But this incredible fear of being reported or having to accept the consequences of being judged in the wrong... I can't help but read Open now as "I am only here for an escapist solipsistic fantasy, interact accordingly."

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 02:23 PM CST
Continuing the thread from here, also, and in response to this post, specifically...

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=5&message=32487

>>Love this description, but there is one distinction I want to make. If you are prancing around in the street singing "I look like a Goddess in this dress!" and I say "More like a Goblin." I'd rather that not result in my immediate death. I know, I know, death is incredibly cheap to those that are half your circle (the ones you can one shot), but if you are a Heavy/Open, as has been said to be the only "real" choice, then would your character have such a low value of death that they would kill for a minor slight like that?

I'd say that an open person is actually much less likely to kill random people frivolously. Furthermore, in "open vs. open" conflicts, people tend to be much more respectful, as they know that any low-down lamery they pull can be immediately pulled by the other side.

Open people want more people to be open precisely because it allows the community to self-police. PvP and random gankings are (so I understand) very rare in TF. Why is that? Because anyone who pulls anything lame will have the ire of the entire community to deal with.

So open people want more open people exactly because this fosters more community and allows the community much more freedom to police itself.

Open basically says "I don't mind if others have fun at my expense." It's the setting that attempts to support the community, and the more people who choose that stance, the more the community can thrive.

Closed/Guarded says, "I reserve my right to a win button."

Because honestly? The great majority of people are fine with PvP as long as they think they will win. I've had people who report over losing in PvP literally walk a noob character of mine (when that was still possible.)

If you report unconsented PvP, you should report the low circle person whose clock you can clean just as quickly as you report the person who could crush you like a gnat. But this isn't how it falls out, and that is one of the great contradictions that makes guarded/closed so infuriating.

In short, open people are actually a lot more cautious than guarded people, because they know they are their own last recourse.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 02:33 PM CST
I feel like a lot of the 'Open is best for everybody!' folks have some blinders on. You complain lot about people people playing policy games but choose to ignore the other side of the coin completely. Sure... you don't have much of a problem with Open v Open. Some of the folks in that contingent think you and yours are the greatest thing since sliced bread. You legitimize them.

In the space of the week I saw three people quit over the stunts of one of the less regarded Open folks. People gleefully talk about graverobbing and camping.

You may be on a much higher RP level. Not all of them are.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 02:47 PM CST
{I wrote this post before seeing Szrael's above post, but instead of rewriting any connecting comments I'm just being lazy and posting it as is anyway}

<<I encourage Fred to be open, not because I want to shoot Fred, but I want to shoot the people who shoot Fred... The problem is when Closed/Guarded people kill Open Fred and characters like mine, who like to avenge Fred (assuming Fred really is just a good guy who got unfairly smacked by "bad" char) can't help.>>

I wanted to ask more about this. I'm not seeing how Fred being open or closed affects the situation. Assuming Fred is a good guy who gets unfairly cheapshotted by some bully, I thought the only thing determining whether or not you can step in and help is whether or not the bully is open or guarded/closed, not Fred, according to the Celesi Principle. I didn't think Fred's PvP status was even a factor. It still sounds like having the troublemaker open would be key.

Here's what I think I'm seeing in an overall view.

A lot of players have a disdain for reporting. GMs are OOC, especially when settling disputes, and that is a bad thing for roleplaying. It is their conviction that players should handle their own affairs and police things as much as possible. Keeping all things OOC as close to zero as possible would enhance the ability to suspend disbelief in a fantasy setting and help create the most realistic RPG world possible. It's the approach that makes available the best and largest supply of idea material for creating RP situations and scenarios of all types.

The issue is that this only works well if everyone is on the same page. As long as some players opt out of RP and/or PvP, either partially or totally, it introduces a lot of mismatches into the system between what can and can't be done by this player or that player in any given situation. Each mismatch is just another opportunity to rudely jar players out of the IC and back into the OOC. It's like football where a flag and penalty interrupts the momentum of the game.

Generally speaking, is that a reasonable assessment of the heavy/open viewpoint?

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
A heavy crossbow is a heavy crossbow type weapon.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:00 PM CST
It's all reasonable stuff. I just don't believe we're anywhere near the RP Wonderland that these people think we're in.

Griefers do tend to vanish from places like the Fallen. But they never have much of a total populace and tend to get dull fast.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:01 PM CST
>>I'd say that an open person is actually much less likely to kill random people frivolously. Furthermore, in "open vs. open" conflicts, *people tend to be much more respectful*, as they know that any low-down lamery they pull can be immediately pulled by the other side.

I'm not so sure i agree with this. I would offer up the Goose's collection of graverobbed bows for sale as evidence. Now i'm not trying to get preachy - i don't know the story behind most of them, and surely some of them could have deserved it. Maybe a Goose can step in here and explain. And I really don't begrudge them this either. I'm just saying, as a guarded player that often thinks about going open, these are the things I have to consider. One of my favorite parts of DR is the ability to customize my gear and have really cool items. The possibility of seeing my altered kertig greatsword or altered repeating crossbow being sold by someone i can't hope to exact revenge on is not the most thrilling of prospects.

Maybe i just haven't tangled enough with the 'open' crowd, but I haven't seen any sort of unspoken rule of conduct for open players that they all abide by.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:05 PM CST
a quick edit: i'm not trying to call out the Geese, i'm friends with a few of them...i'd even buy one of the bows if i still trained em. heh. I've also seen many other open people grab forged/fletched items too, that was just the first example that came to mind.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:07 PM CST
>>In the space of the week I saw three people quit over the stunts of one of the less regarded Open folks. People gleefully talk about graverobbing and camping.

Unless they are being OOC about it or harassing people(not "hey stole my stuff, HARASSMENT OMG", but being told to stop repeatedly and not), how is that not a valid RP choice for them?

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:13 PM CST
So everybody has to take part in everybody else's roleplay, unwanted or not?

Do I suddenly have to assist with Prydaen giving birth in the Ratha bank?

:D
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:24 PM CST
>>In the space of the week I saw three people quit over the stunts of one of the less regarded Open folks. People gleefully talk about graverobbing and camping.

Is there a backstory to this? Did some "Open" guy just randomly attack 3 people to the point of making them quit?
What if said person was "Guarded" or "Closed"? Would they have left?

The thing is. Said person was "Open", giving these 3 people the chance to hire a contract killer to get their revenge and/or items back. If that person was "Guarded" or "Closed", revenge would not be an option.

PS: You asked earlier in the thread if i was one of them... i'm not. My character has never killed anyone outside of a tournament or friendly spar (accidentally threw a log at my opponent just after she fell uncounscious.) I actually get nervous when in a conflict and generally avoid it.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:28 PM CST
>>So everybody has to take part in everybody else's roleplay, unwanted or not?

Yes, or let them know with an OOC whisper you're not interested.

>>Do I suddenly have to assist with Prydaen giving birth in the Ratha bank?

You don't have to assist, but your character can easily be disgusted or angered or any number of things.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:32 PM CST
What if the baby has wings?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:33 PM CST
Sorry about the long one, but it is a lot of dialogue in one post.

>>if there are people who would kill for such [trivial things], who are you to dictate what their character's response should be?

Who am I? I'm the guy who sets my own PVP flag, which DOES dictate their response, which is why I'll keep it a "hair" under "Kill me any where, any place, any time, for any reason". It's a level of power I do not want to give away.

>>People severely overestimate the danger of PvP Open.
Please change the word "danger" to annoyance. I play for fun and part of fun is not being a punching bag whenever someone else feels like it.

WARNING: THE NEXT PARAGRAPH MAY HAVE ONE OR MORE SLIGHT EXAGGERATIONS IN IT.
If I change to PVP Open, I don't expect I'll get killed repeatedly the instant it happens, forever and ever, until the ends of time. I do think, in the next year, I'll be killed for no reason at an inconvenient time. It's that chance of grief that keeps me keeping you worried that I will constantly annoy you forever and ever, until you kill me, then I will report you daily until the ends of time, and the GM's, who are clearly blind, deaf AND mute, will be unable to do anything but banish you forever to a cold dark room.

>>Open people want more people to be open precisely because it allows the community to self-police.
Because a random selection of your peers is always better than an impartial arbitrator that you are paying for.

>>Closed/Guarded says, "I reserve my right to a win button."
I'd call it a "I'm curled up in my bed after a long, hard day that has beat the... out of me, my head is killing me, I just want to lock my cam, take Advil and go to bed and I don't feel like dealing with this cocky ba...rd" button. But if that is "Win" to you, then awesome. I think YOU should be a winner too.

>>The great majority of people are fine with PvP as long as they think they will win.
I've actually lost my last 8 matches, but I don't need to claim that I represent 99.99% of other people. I've done my best to make all of my augments about ME because I don't want to commit a logical fallacy by claiming that everyone is just like ME.

>>In short, open people are actually a lot more cautious than guarded people, because they know they are their own last recourse.
I read that as "If you want to worry more be open!" You open evangelists need better marketing.

>>Unless they are being OOC about it or harassing people(not "hey stole my stuff, HARASSMENT OMG", but being told to stop repeatedly and not), how is that not a valid RP choice for them?
There are a lot of things I can RP that are still wrong. I'm not saying that grave robbing is not valid, I AM saying that just cause something is RP, does not mean you are not damaging the player.

>>So everybody has to take part in everybody else's roleplay, unwanted or not?
I think this line is the sentiment I'm trying to get at.

I'd like to add that the last report I did was in 1997 (maybe 1996). I am terribly regretful for it. While I still don't consider mussing someone hair a capital offense, today I would take the death and depart and not complain about it. (Dates and Verbs are subject to the defects in my own memory.)
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:40 PM CST
<<Do I suddenly have to assist with Prydaen giving birth in the Ratha bank?>>

Is it possible to have a thread on Roleplaying without someone thinking it's still clever or edgy to bring up this ridiculous incident?

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:41 PM CST
<<>>In the space of the week I saw three people quit over the stunts of one of the less regarded Open folks.>>

Pointing something out:

People "quit" all the time. You won't ever see anyone quit. You might see them claim they're quitting, but that's about it.

Solomon

Fight me:
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:43 PM CST
>People "quit" all the time. You won't ever see anyone quit. You might see them claim they're quitting, but that's about it.

To be fair, you might know the person.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:44 PM CST
<<To be fair, you might know the person.>>

To be fair, that doesn't change anything I said.

Solomon

Fight me:
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:50 PM CST
It doesn't change what Solomon is saying (and both statements are duly noted). I'm not personally critiquing the existence of Open as an option. I think it's pretty great, actually. I like it far better than than GS's current consent system (which is what my greatest exposure is to). I just think that the idea of 'you can't be a REAL roleplayer unless you agree to not minding any conflict' isn't really helping anybody or convincing people to be Open. I feel those people want to remove Closed and Guarded and take DR back to that less efficient system or go totally un GM moderated, which I think would be a mistake.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:50 PM CST
>To be fair, that doesn't change anything I said.

...even if they're physically sitting there while the person cancels their subscription?

I hate your use of English. D:

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 03:58 PM CST
>>>>>>To be fair, that doesn't change anything I said.

>>>>...even if they're physically sitting there while the person cancels their subscription?

>>Is it possible to have a thread on Roleplaying without someone thinking it's still clever or edgy to bring up this ridiculous incident?

lol
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 04:00 PM CST
In a perfect world, universal Open PvP would be optimal and bring us closer to the ideal of RP filled with player-directed actions and consequence.

In the world which we inhabit, I do not think it is such a stretch to understand why being forced Open PvP is considered a punishment.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 04:09 PM CST
You guys are putting way too much thought into this pvp flag system.

It's a simple mechanic designed to let other people know how far you want to implement pvp in regard to your character's roleplay.

Some people like pvp. Others don't. The system tells you if you ask, and now you know. Try to respect the other player's wishes and don't be a jerk if you can help it. If they deserve it, go for it. Whatever.

"Roleplay" is a very broad term and everyone has their own little definition. For some, that means being in character enough to not get the GM's irritated with you on a daily basis. For others, it means going above and beyond roleplaying your character, even to the point where you as a player are not having a good time playing simply because you're forcing yourself into doing something boring/dumb/unenjoyable because it's your "character" would do.

Regardless of how hardcore of a roleplayer you are, the point of the game is to have fun. If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, also, stop caring so much about what other people are doing.

Done. Enjoy.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 05:20 PM CST
<<In a perfect world, universal Open PvP would be optimal and bring us closer to the ideal of RP filled with player-directed actions and consequence.>>

<<In the world which we inhabit, I do not think it is such a stretch to understand why being forced Open PvP is considered a punishment.>>

Sure, clearly a punishment, it forces (A) a griefer to face retribution, (B) a RPer to face the rest of the player base. In both cases you've taken the comfortable pillow zone away from the player, in terms of how they get to run their character. In both cases, I think the "punishment" is warranted, probably not great for business though.

<<But this incredible fear of being reported or having to accept the consequences of being judged in the wrong... I can't help but read Open now as "I am only here for an escapist solipsistic fantasy, interact accordingly.">>

...really? Your real problem is that people who play OPEN are the ones being solipsistic? Maybe that word doesn't mean what I think it does. Here I thought being open meant you had to acknowledge the outside.

<<In the space of the week I saw three people quit over the stunts of one of the less regarded Open folks. People gleefully talk about graverobbing and camping.>>

If it was an Open offender, the quitters had lots of options within a roleplaying game, like getting help defending themselves. Camping will fall under harassment. Losing a weapon certainly is possible, no way to get around graverobbing (depart items still leaves one weapon on the ground I guess). Still, you act like going Open means exposing yourself to this irrevocable realm of Apocalypse all-the-time death scroll. This isn't accurate.

<<So everybody has to take part in everybody else's roleplay, unwanted or not?>>

Obviously not, you're allowed to RP None and PVP closed all you want. Personally I don't think this is the best single player game around, but to each their own.

<<Do I suddenly have to assist with Prydaen giving birth in the Ratha bank?>>

You could kill them, scream at them, ignore them, make fun of them...only one of these options is foreclosed by a profile choice. See what I'm getting at?

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 06:16 PM CST
>>In the world which we inhabit, I do not think it is such a stretch to understand why being forced Open PvP is considered a punishment.<<

Eh. Probably because by the time you're forced Open PvP, you've accumulated a lot of comeuppance you suddenly can't use Policy to avoid.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 06:26 PM CST
>...really? Your real problem is that people who play OPEN are the ones being solipsistic? Maybe that word doesn't mean what I think it does. Here I thought being open meant you had to acknowledge the outside.

It was a slightly snide word choice, but maybe it doesn't mean what you think it does.

The open-advocates seem to fear interacting with other players when they might lose as a player (and even questioning their ability to fail as a player is a personal slight). "They" want their interactions in DR to be at the level of the PVE game, but with better AI.

At the start of this thread, my mind changed and I gained a lot of new respect for people who enjoy PVP on DR and advocate Open. Now I just get the sense their motivations are the same as the serial reports, on a different level.

It doesn't seem worth the effort to pay attention to either group if they're not actually interested in You, just your character.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 06:31 PM CST
>PvP and random gankings are (so I understand) very rare in TF. Why is that?

Because it's a community of 20 people where roleplay is discouraged and they're too busy scripting anyway.

You can't fairly compare TF to Prime-with-everyone-open.

RueaDR: It really freaks me out how much fluff people wear
There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Included in this was four broaches, two garters, a girdle and a corset
how is that physically possible
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 06:36 PM CST
I keep my profile set to RP Light, because I recognize that I should stay in character but I don't have a clue what that character actually is and I'm not going to go spend eight hours writing out a backstory and memorizing the Gamgweth dictionary and all that nerd business, and PVP Open, because capital-C Consent is a stupid concept and I understand that nobody is going to kill me, much less repeatedly kill me, unless I've done something incredibly stupid and had it coming.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 06:57 PM CST
>> I don't have a clue what that character actually is and I'm not going to go spend eight hours writing out a backstory and memorizing the Gamgweth dictionary and all that nerd business

You don't have to do any of that to be a good roleplayer.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 07:02 PM CST
>> I don't have a clue what that character actually is and I'm not going to go spend eight hours writing out a backstory and memorizing the Gamgweth dictionary and all that nerd business

>You don't have to do any of that to be a good roleplayer.

It often hurts roleplay more than it helps!

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 07:17 PM CST
Both of my active characters are open. One is combat oriented the other is not. I keep them open for the precise reason that my interaction with other players should be open ended. The random other characters I play on occasion are set to closed because I don't want to interact with anyone and as such, I don't want anyone to interact with them.

The ONLY time I have had issues with other players with my open characters has been when someone who is closed is verbally "threatening" the open character. I found it annoying because I knew that if I continued interacting with them I would be killed with no outlet for recourse. But I just shut up and walked away and the issue was resolved.

Like Glemm pretty much nailed, "...stop caring so much about what other people are doing."

Yes, interaction with other players is a great aspect of this game, but not every interaction will go the way you want it to. If someone is clearly "open" for anything, great, go for it. If not just move on with your play. The environment of DR is pretty large and you have plenty of options to move around.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 08:19 PM CST
<<Glemm's Post>>

QFT.

Solomon

Fight me:
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 10:24 PM CST
I am open because there is pretty much nothing anyone can do in the game to make me want them to be locked out or punished. It's a multi-player game for me and I will at least make an attempt to have fun with whatever and whoever comes my way. Random killings do not bother me because I, the player, am simply playing a fictional text-based game (has never happened to me though). Besides, I will RP it out because to my character, it is a random attack. There's no other way for him to explain it other than them being crazy.

I encourage others to be open because I find it less stressful to my gameplay when I am not bothered by stuff that happens. I have gotten more than just one person to toughen up their skin, and they have found their DR experience to be better because of it. Won't work for everyone but hey, never know. If someone would prefer to be Guarded or Closed, then it tells me that they are more close-minded and OOC'ly affected by things that happen in a fictional text-based game than someone who is Open.

Just my perspective on it.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 10:57 PM CST
While I agree with you Vinjince, the list of people able to randomly kill you has to be pretty small.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 11:31 PM CST
<<they are more close-minded and OOC'ly affected by things that happen in a fictional text-based game than someone who is Open.>>

I'm not convinced that resorting to insults and hinting that some players have trouble separating fantasy from reality is the most clever way to convince them you're operating on some kind of higher plane.

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/01/2009 11:52 PM CST
Not as small as you might think. I also created my character so... I started out low level too. Profiles weren't out but circle never mattered for my playstyle.

>>I'm not convinced that resorting to insults and hinting that some players have trouble separating fantasy from reality is the most clever way to convince them you're operating on some kind of higher plane.

I did not mean to insult anyone, though I can argue that someone feeling insulted by that is a testament to what kind of player they are. I could say less unselfish instead of close-minded... but however I put it does not really change what is. Also, in my post I was hinting that some people have lower tolerance than others (usually based on how well they can or cannot take what happens), not that they can't separate reality from fantasy.

Some people are more close-minded than others based on what the subject is. When it comes to watching Law and Order or doing something solo, I can be close-minded. When it comes to playing multi-player games or having other people involved in the activity, I am generally open-minded. That is just me, though. I don't see why people are extremely critical of others suggesting to go Open. If it doesn't work out, then you can draw your own conclusions and go back.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 01:10 AM CST
>If someone would prefer to be Guarded or Closed, then it tells me that they are more close-minded and OOC'ly affected by things that happen in a fictional text-based game than someone who is Open.

If I were just worried about my text-dude "dying" I'd go play a board game.

It's the people who will waste my time for their enjoyment whom I won't give the benefit of handing a "get out of following the rules free" card.

If someone checks my profile, sees heavy/guarded and walks the other way then the system is working perfectly because they've just demonstrated that they're more interested in shooting me in the face than role playing.

There are other games for that.

RueaDR: It really freaks me out how much fluff people wear
There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Included in this was four broaches, two garters, a girdle and a corset
how is that physically possible
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 02:12 AM CST
<<I did not mean to insult anyone,>>

This is good to hear... except:

<<though I can argue that someone feeling insulted by that is a testament to what kind of player they are.>>

You really can't stop yourself from doing that, can you?

<<I could say less unselfish instead of close-minded... but however I put it does not really change what is.>>

We're at least in agreement on one thing. You're absolutely correct that no matter how you phrase it, it will still be an insult, thinly veiled or otherwise.

<<Also, in my post I was hinting that some people have lower tolerance than others (usually based on how well they can or cannot take what happens), not that they can't separate reality from fantasy.

The terms you used were fictional text-based game and OOC, which represent fantasy and RL in every context I ever see them in. If there are other definitions I'm sure we're all be interested in hearing them.

<<When it comes to playing multi-player games or having other people involved in the activity, I am generally open-minded.>>

This sounds excellent. When will we see it? Continually insisting that your way of playing is the only way to play, and that people doing it some other way are somehow doing it wrong, is the very textbook definition of close-mindedness. Please just stop.

<<I don't see why people are extremely critical of others suggesting to go Open.>>

They're critical of suggestions that if they don't do it your way then they're just being close-minded or selfish.

Please do me one favor if you can. I mean this with all sincerity. At least try to be open to the opinions of others. Try to consider the idea that not everyone has the same goals or aspirations or likes or dislikes as you. Or me. Or anyone else for that matter. We're all different. I have never considered anyone close-minded or selfish because they chose to play the game differently than I do. All I ask is the same courtesy in return.

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 02:20 AM CST
<<I kind of have somewhat of the opposite thing going on. I play a game to escape a world that is sometimes filled with inconsiderate, hateful, angry, agitating, using, stealing, lieing, cheating, selfish people. Sometimes, when I sign in, I do so to find a refuge from the problems that surround me.

You play a game to get away from RL people that... Play the same game that you do? That really makes no sense at all. If you want to escape people, then you need to be playing a game that is single player, not multi-playered. I also think that if you find the need to escape those problems with a med-evil based fantasy game, you may need more 'counseling' than any game could provide.

Really, profiles are great, but it doesnt change anything how the game should be played. It does suck to have to worry about warnings and such, but I think the GM crew has probably gotten a little more open mind nowadays than the days of old, when warnings were given out like candy. I almost never hear about PvP warnings/LOs anymore.

Myself and Orig. Jrendel were probably two of the first people to ever say we were completely Open to PvP, and would never report anyone for it. This was long long long before the profile system was ever released. I think it was a great release that now allows people like us to put our money where our mouth is, and basically have a setting to show we were serious about that. It doesnt really change the fact that there will always be people out there, that are unable to completely role play every situation, and feel the need to report or what have you.

Personally I've always frowned upon anyone that would report from PvP. It basically showed a lack of ability to deal with any situation. People want to play a game, to RP during an uncivilized time, yet dont want to deal with that uncivilized aspect of it. It is one sided RP, and shows a lack of effort to really play the game the way it was meant to be played (as a roleplaying game). People seem to think that killing a person is the only way to deal with someone killing them. There are plenty of people, myself included, that doesnt have any problem attacking anyone in the game, no matter if they are bigger or smaller. You can seek these people out, and RP enough with them to get them to help you. This opens up so many more possibilities, than the report macro RP, that people like to pull, which basically shows they only want to RP on their terms.

I would say this. As a character, I'll help anyone that pays for it. That's what my character does. As a player, I'm more likely to want to help someone that was willing to deal with all consequences of their actions and all possibilities that the game allows rather than someone who is not. DR is not a WOW PVP server, where players just go around and grief people, just for kicks. If they did, players like me would take pleasure in greifing the griefers.

In the end, I do agree with Glemm. The profile system is nice, but people should play like it doesnt even exist. Everyone should mind policy but equally make an effort to solve your own problems, rather than bothering the GMs with them (even if that person isnt minding policy), and everything will turn out for the best.

Falker
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 02:27 AM CST
>Personally I've always frowned upon anyone that would report from PvP. It basically showed a lack of ability to deal with any situation.

Why would you conceivably frown at it? You want conflict situations but you don't want to have to resolve conflict situations if something gets out of hand?

Or do you just honestly believe that things can't get out of hand and others should share your feelings?

Meh, either answers means the discussion is unresolvable. I resign myself to hanging up my zombi cowboy spurs.

Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6