Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 07:59 PM CST
>> There is ALWAYS a reason. It may not be one that's acceptable to the person that got killed, but there is ALWAYS a reason.

Do you acknowledge that "I was bored and I saw you were open" is occasionally the only reason, and that it's reasonable to say this is unacceptable for some people?

Because that's what some people here are saying. Or that they would like to be open except for one or two people they have no desire to interact with, and so remain guarded to protect themselves from that.

That's not unreasonable to me.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 08:06 PM CST
>>Do you acknowledge that "I was bored and I saw you were open" is occasionally the only reason, and that it's reasonable to say this is unacceptable for some people?<<

Absolutely. There is ALWAYS a reason, but it may be one that isn't valid or acceptable to the person that just got killed, but there is ALWAYS a reason.

>>Or that they would like to be open except for one or two people they have no desire to interact with, and so remain guarded to protect themselves from that.<<

I agree with this statement as well. There are some people who border on harassing, that will track down and kill someone they detest the moment they go "open" and they more than likely check that person's profile multiple times per gaming session, just on the off chance that it happens. That is juvenile and petty behavior in my opinion, but I won't deny that it quite probably happens that way. So, the person in question remains guarded instead of open. Oh well. It's their choice to do so, but they're allowing someone else to dictate how they play the game, and for me, that's unacceptable. Understandable, regrettable, but unacceptable... for me.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 08:13 PM CST
<<Your other problem is you seem to think that quoting a definition or reading the stated policy of a stance is clear cut and doesnt lead to interpretation.

I didn't have a first problem. I've been around a long time, and know all about interpretation from first hand experience.

<<Basically he is saying

That it's 2001.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 08:33 PM CST
>>Thats not what I interpret from reading the definition.

People who are closed and getting into conflicts:

http://www.slapyo.com/wp-content/wrong18.jpg
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/02/2009 08:52 PM CST
<<The people in this game that think everyone is going to like them because they are such stellar roleplayers and they're always SO nice and friendly make me want to kill them "just because." I don't because I believe that payback is a big itch. I'm also savvy enough to know that not everyone is going to like my character either. So what? Play the game, have fun, and quit worrying about what everyone else thinks YOU should do with YOUR character. Everyone else's opinion of how I play the game is pure crap anyway, unless they want to pay for my account, they've got no business telling me how to do things or what to do, or how to set my profile.>>

Absolutely. ;)

I said enjoooooooooooy yo self, sonnnn!

- Simon
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:03 AM CST
Speaking of being bullied when one has a younger character...

Is Krugler still around?

http://haldrik.mybrute.com
http://ciriv.mybrute.com/
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 07:46 AM CST
>>This is not discussion on Vinjince and his on going experiences in Dragon Realms

I thought this was a thread about Vinjince being stuck in traffic with his cat or something?

I don't understand this debate really, it's a little silly to even look at the profile RP/PVP and base your interaction on that. If your going to spur a conflict IC than just do that...who cares if they are closed. I ignore the profile PVP/RP settings completely. (half the people closed probably never set it or don't care or don't know it exists anyway)

I do look for circle if I am going to spar them though.....however it's NEVER there! It wouldn't change the fact of me sparring them but it does allow me to judge if I can use a lower weapon to make it more interesting...

Maybe the profile settings shouldn't exist if it changes the way characters would act around another character.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 08:02 AM CST
>>Maybe the profile settings shouldn't exist if it changes the way characters would act around another character.<<

The profile system is supposed to do this. It lets people identify with people who presumably share their values and RP style so that there are fewer frictions between players.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 11:33 AM CST
>Guarded people are basically people saying they are open to PvP, BUT if they start it (which is basically granting consent, which is no different that being closed). So they arent willing to RP on anyone else's terms.

If someone is set to RP Heavy, do you really think they "aren't willing to RP on anyone else's terms"?

I always welcome RP'ers. I'm guarded because Prime has rules to protect me from griefers and PK'ers and I have no interest in being a victim (defined earlier as having my time wasted for unilateral pleasure) versus being a cooperative participant in group story-telling.

Having said that, I've never reported anyone for unconsented PvP even though I would have been well within my rights to do so on more than one occasion.

RueaDR: It really freaks me out how much fluff people wear
There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Included in this was four broaches, two garters, a girdle and a corset
how is that physically possible
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 11:46 AM CST
>>If someone is set to RP Heavy, do you really think they "aren't willing to RP on anyone else's terms"?<<

That's an interesting question. The RP flag is pure advertisement. That is to say, there is no material consequence to choosing one setting over another one. It expresses what a player wants other people to believe about them. The most you can tell from the flag is that they'd like people to believe they are dedicated RPers who will never break character.

You get more information by looking at the RP/PvP flags in combination. A Heavy/Open player is backing up the "dedicated RPer" signal by waiving some OOC protections. A Heavy/Closed or Heavy/Guarded player is explicitly reserving the right to go OOC (by reporting) if things aren't turning out to their satisfaction.

The flags are helpful, but the only setting that is guaranteed to give honest information is the PvP Open setting, because it's the only setting that has material consequences attached.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 11:49 AM CST
Just because an assumption is sometimes correct does not make it universally true.

Couldn't it possible that the player is merely attempting to preclude interaction with morons?

How does somebody randomly killing somebody always become RP?
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:03 PM CST
>>Couldn't it possible that the player is merely attempting to preclude interaction with morons?<<

This could definitely be true. However, the motivation is not important. Only the behavior (advertising willingness to go OOC when things don't go the way you want) is important.

>>How does somebody randomly killing somebody always become RP?<<

I don't know. Why wouldn't it be?

IMO, any interaction that happens between characters or with the setting that isn't out of genre is role playing. Whether it is RP or not doesn't depend on the motives of the participants so much as whether the behavior is appropriate for the setting.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:08 PM CST
<<IMO, any interaction that happens between characters or with the setting that isn't out of genre is role playing. Whether it is RP or not doesn't depend on the motives of the participants so much as whether the behavior is appropriate for the setting.>>

Absolutely correct.

People, read this.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:11 PM CST
<<IMO, any interaction that happens between characters or with the setting that isn't out of genre is role playing. Whether it is RP or not doesn't depend on the motives of the participants so much as whether the behavior is appropriate for the setting.>>

Eh, I don't consider staying IG role playing. That's what I do and I wouldn't say what I do is RP by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't want to break the RP of others.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:16 PM CST
I just have a tough time getting to OOC people doing OOC killing always being roleplaying. It's like in your quest to turn Prime into The Fallen you're always always giving idiots a pass.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:28 PM CST
<<I just have a tough time getting to OOC people doing OOC killing always being roleplaying.>>

When did anyone state that?

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:28 PM CST
>1. HEAVY - This is for people with a strong grasp of the game's lore and setting and for which remaining in-character and actively pursuing events and roleplaying opportunities with others is a top priority.

>2. GUARDED - This option is good for people who enjoy PVP and enjoy "GM-less" conflict, as long as all parties involved are consenting and have agreed beforehand what's going to happen.

>people assume that anyone using this combination wants to report as soon as "things don't go well" and not as a last resort if things get ridiculous and the other party insists on being unreasonable

>picard

RueaDR: It really freaks me out how much fluff people wear
There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Included in this was four broaches, two garters, a girdle and a corset
how is that physically possible
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:33 PM CST
>>It's like in your quest to turn Prime into The Fallen you're always always giving idiots a pass.

How long have you played DR : The Fallen?

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:35 PM CST
Mazrian's player declared any killing for any reason IC. You backed him up, Glemm. And yet Mazrian goes on and on about how terrible Heavy/Guarded is.

It just doesn't jive.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:37 PM CST
>>How long have you played DR : The Fallen?

Appeals to 'I played longer!' don't tend to work for me in any game setting. I have indeed tried Fallen multiple times. I was equally as bored as I was playing Platinum.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:39 PM CST
Er, Mazrian stated that anything which happens within the game's atmosphere that follows the guidelines/structure set forth by those who are in charge of the atmosphere is considered to be roleplaying.

You are playing the role that they have defined.

If you are being killed for an out-of-character reason, that obviously does not "jive" with the atmosphere's framework- especially in the case of this game.

Perhaps you misunderstood Mazrian's point?

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:39 PM CST
>>Appeals to 'I played longer!' don't tend to work for me in any game setting. I have indeed tried Fallen multiple times. I was equally as bored as I was playing Platinum.

It's not an issue of i've played longer than you, it's an issue of you misrepresenting TF.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:43 PM CST
Explain it to me then. How is a desire to take a game towards being totally unmoderated different from drawing it in the direction of Fallen? I'm not trying to be offensive. My assumption was always that Fallen, like Platinum, had a niche appeal I didn't get.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:43 PM CST
Er, Mazrian stated that anything which happens within the game's atmosphere that follows the guidelines/structure set forth by those who are in charge of the atmosphere is considered to be roleplaying.
You are playing the role that they have defined.
If you are being killed for an out-of-character reason, that obviously does not "jive" with the atmosphere's framework- especially in the case of this game.
Perhaps you misunderstood Mazrian's point?

If this is directed at me: I don't role play. At all. I play my character but I don't really interact except to raise or heal the occasional person. As such I don't get into conflicts and I don't get killed. If someone asks me a question I respond IG but that's about as far as it goes. If people want to consider that role play that's fine but it's not.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:44 PM CST
>>Appeals to 'I played longer!' don't tend to work for me in any game setting. I have indeed tried Fallen multiple times. I was equally as bored as I was playing Platinum.

>>It's not an issue of i've played longer than you, it's an issue of you misrepresenting TF.

This is correct. Honestly, I have never played in the TF instance I was just curious on your TF experience. Since your always stating that players get randomly killed all the time in TF.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:45 PM CST
>>Explain it to me then. How is a desire to take a game towards being totally unmoderated different from drawing it in the direction of Fallen? I'm not trying to be offensive. My assumption was always that Fallen, like Platinum, had a niche appeal I didn't get.

The implication I read was that people in the Fallen go around killing each other all the time. If people in the Fallen had PvP settings (which we do but don't really use) I'd say most of us would be guarded. We're up to fights but we don't want to be randomly killed while scripting in the middle of the day.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:47 PM CST
<<If this is directed at me>>

It wasn't directed at you, but that's good to know, I guess.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:52 PM CST
I didn't mean to imply that folks in The Fallen randomly kill each other all the time. I wasn't involved in PVP once either time. I consider Fallen a niche. I consider an unmoderated Prime an entirely different animal/set of potentials.

To sum up: I don't consider being open to random PVP the definition of being a 'true' roleplayer. I think random OOC killings and random idiots don't fit into the category at all... and I don't think Open makes anybody superior. I think it's a valid choice. I don't particularly want to report (I haven't). I just don't particularly want to deal with folks who aren't even trying to roleplay. Guarded helps prevent that.

I think the 'Open' crusade gives any Open Griefers/OOC people a pass.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:54 PM CST
<<To sum up: I don't consider being open to random PVP the definition of being a 'true' roleplayer. I think random OOC killings and random idiots don't fit into the category at all>>

That's just it. "Random killings" are not in and of themselves OOC, as you are labeling them.

They can make perfect sense to the other party. You being informed about what is going on is not necessary for roleplay to be valid.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:56 PM CST
>>It wasn't directed at you, but that's good to know, I guess.

I guess it didn't actually needed to be directed at me, it's still a valid point, just because you're in the game and staying IG doesn't mean you're roleplaying. I think that most people who get "randomly" killed for "OOC" reasons are mouthing off or doing something else to upset someone. I've never been killed because I don't talk much to other people and when I do I keep it short and to the point.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 12:59 PM CST
There's a decided difference between being sniped and hearing someone's decidely OOC reasons and OOC actions and having them continue in that vein. You seem to miss that, Glemm.

I definitely grasp the difference. I'm referring to the second. Being Open opens you up to that. You then have no recourse.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:02 PM CST
To me, it boils down to this, my experiences thus far with the profile system:

I have been reported, repeatedly, by guarded people, even when I had consent, for things ranging from borderline (someone attacked me repeatedly over several days, but I killed four days after his last attack) to stupid (gwethsmashing someone).

I have never, ever been attacked for no reason, on any character, at all, ever.

To me, being frivolously reported, yanked, and hanging around in the consult suite is many orders of magnitude worse than just dying. My character dies all the time, no big deal. But the consult suite can really ruin my day, even if nothing comes of it but a talking-to.

I imagine this is where many open people are coming from. In my experience, frivolous reports happen much, much more frequently than random killings, and the consequences are much worse for the reportee. I've even had some of these people admit to me that they know I did nothing wrong, but know they're hassling both me and the GMs by doing so, so they report anyway.

-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err and err and err again,
but less and less and less.

http://empathunion.com
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:02 PM CST
<<just because you're in the game and staying IG doesn't mean you're roleplaying>>

Nah. As long as you are abiding by the terms set forth as being acceptable by the people who have created the atmosphere, you are playing the proper role in the environment.

Hence the term.

It doesn't matter if you are braiding grass, sitting there doing nothing, or leading your army to victory over the Bad People. As long as you aren't OOC, you are IC and roleplaying, even if your role is that of some boring dude who just sits there and doesn't talk to anyone.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:05 PM CST
<<There's a decided difference between being sniped and hearing someone's decidely OOC reasons and OOC actions and having them continue in that vein. You seem to miss that, Glemm.>>

You seem to assume that anything about the profile system has anything to do with people being OOC.

OOC conflicts in the game are unacceptable (but usually funny) regardless of RP or PVP stance.

Does being "open" invalidate your ability to report someone for bringing an OOC conflict IG? I didn't think it does, since that breaks game policy.

I could be wrong here, but if I am, it's something that should be changed.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:09 PM CST
>>I imagine this is where many open people are coming from. In my experience, frivolous reports happen much, much more frequently than random killings, and the consequences are much worse for the reportee. I've even had some of these people admit to me that they know I did nothing wrong, but know they're hassling both me and the GMs by doing so, so they report anyway.

-Szrael's player

There's an opposite side of that coin. I've had people who were pissed off over admittedly OOC things do untoward things to various characters several times. Guarded effectively turns that off... and I haven't had to deal with any OOC nonsense this time around. Why would I cease? I'm not planning any frivolous reports. The Open for everybody folks insult everybody who is NOT likely to be forced Open for being a jerk. You target the wrong folks.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:12 PM CST
>>Does being "open" invalidate your ability to report someone for bringing an OOC conflict IG? I didn't think it does, since that breaks game policy.

That was how it was explained to me. I will definitely accept it if I am wrong.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:14 PM CST
Random killing = Killing someone for no particular reason.

OOC Killing = Killing someone over a forum dispute, over an AIM discussion, etc. Also, killing someone simply because their profile is Open is OOC. Profiles are OOC.

They're not the same thing but a kill for OOC reasons can easily be roleplayed as random killing.

I understand the Guarded side of the discussion. It sucks getting killed and wasting time when you want to be playing.

The reason I'm set to Open is simple: I want others to know they can fully and freely express themselves when interacting with me. I dont want to miss a chance to make a friend (or an enemy) as a result of an in-game interaction. When both parties are being fair and reasonable in a conflict it often results in future friendships or healthy "enemyships" (Sorry, cant find a word for that).
Yes, one day i'll run accross some unpleasant and badly timed random killing. But i'll deal with that when it happens, even if the only way to deal with it is by ignoring it (if the person is not open).
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:18 PM CST
>>Nah. As long as you are abiding by the terms set forth as being acceptable by the people who have created the atmosphere, you are playing the proper role in the environment.

>>Hence the term.

>>It doesn't matter if you are braiding grass, sitting there doing nothing, or leading your army to victory over the Bad People. As long as you aren't OOC, you are IC and roleplaying, even if your role is that of some boring dude who just sits there and doesn't talk to anyone.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't view following the rules as role playing when I have absolutely no backstory on my character, no depth, nothing.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:22 PM CST
People upset enough by a GM consult to 'ruin their day' really ought to spend some time figuring out what's so upsetting to them and address it. That's just a life skill, there.

Be the profile change you want to see in others: police yourself first.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:28 PM CST
<<I don't view following the rules as role playing when I have absolutely no backstory on my character, no depth, nothing.>>

I don't understand how a character needs "depth" in order to play a role in Dragonrealms.

Yeah, agree to disagree.

-Mr. Glemm