Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:29 PM CST

Seriously, the discussion is not about Plat/TF vs Prime. That isn't a discussion for the forums at all. Further will result in post removals.

Stick to the discussion on profiles, and leave out the personal bickering.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:32 PM CST
>>People upset enough by a GM consult to 'ruin their day' really ought to spend some time figuring out what's so upsetting to them and address it. That's just a life skill, there.

>>Be the profile change you want to see in others: police yourself first.

Coming from you:
:psyduck:

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:35 PM CST
Yeah the irony is big in that one, heh.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:37 PM CST
>>It doesn't matter if you are braiding grass, sitting there doing nothing, or leading your army to victory over the Bad People. As long as you aren't OOC, you are IC and roleplaying, even if your role is that of some boring dude who just sits there and doesn't talk to anyone.<<

This is pretty much what I meant. =)

>>How is a desire to take a game towards being totally unmoderated<<

I think I didn't communicate my ideas clearly, and I apologize for that. I don't think the game should be unmoderated.

I do think that the way Policy is written and enforced creates perverse incentives that detract from the gaming experience for everybody and create extra work for the staff, and I see getting people to go PvP Open as a way to change the incentives and improve everyone's good time.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:39 PM CST
>>I do think that the way Policy is written and enforced creates perverse incentives that detract from the gaming experience for everybody and create extra work for the staff, and I see getting people to go PvP Open as a way to change the incentives and improve everyone's good time.

I'm curious to know if overall GM staff time for consults has been reduced after the profile system has been reduced. Same thing with gwethsmashers.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:45 PM CST
In a perfect gaming world, experience loss for death would be temporary no matter what, item loss would not exist, and favors would strictly determine how much penalty (or how much help) you get when departing (which is basically what they do now I guess).

I know that everyone wants death to mean things, but between losing money, pooled experience, and time, I'd say there are ways to make it still mean a lot without the possible loss of permanent exp and items.

That's why everyone is in such a huff about pvp. It's not because being killed is a pain in the ass, it's because you have the chance for irreparable harm to be done to your character. If this wasn't the case, people would be much more cool about it.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:47 PM CST
>>People upset enough by a GM consult to 'ruin their day' really ought to spend some time figuring out what's so upsetting to them and address it. That's just a life skill, there.

I see it as an unjust timesuck for both me and the GM, and injustice gets under my skin, especially when people admit that they are doing it just to waste my time and the GMs' time.

A death is over and dealt with in five minutes, but a consult can drag on and on and on.

Furthermore, it did ruin my day when the guy trying to walk my character for something dumb reported the person who came to my defense and got my defender a 30 day lockout and another person a warning for unconsented PvP.

The consequences of a consult can be much, much more grave than the consequences (especially now ) of a simple death.

To me the punishment very often does not fit the crime. I'd prefer the PvP policy be scrapped altogether and replaced with a harassment policy.

Reserving the right to report unconsented PvP is, to me, similar to reserving the right to blow up squirrels with anti-aircraft missiles.

Harassment, I agree, is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err, and err, and err again,
but less, and less, and less.

http://empathunion.com
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:48 PM CST
this is like the same 3 posts repeated over and over again....

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:50 PM CST
This is the equine cemetery.

-- Player of Szrael --

and simple to express:

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:52 PM CST
Problem is, some people consider themselves being harassed without ever confronting the person after just one kill. I've tried to let Webster explain for them but it just doesn't work. :(

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 01:59 PM CST

>>this is like the same 3 posts repeated over and over again....

Yep. Lucky for you, the only one that has to actually read this folder is me.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:08 PM CST
Do true griefers even exist in this game anymore? Seems that all the griefers from back in the day were banned multiple times already and have moved on to other games. It seems to me that the true grifers now are people who can't wait to report and get your character warned.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:12 PM CST
I miss those days so much.

There needs to be another msn games free trial period.

(cue staff screams)

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:17 PM CST
<<There needs to be another msn games free trial period.

Hey, that's how I got started in DR!

Falker
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:18 PM CST
>>There needs to be another msn games free trial period.

Oh man I totally forgot about that...

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:20 PM CST
It was the Golden Age. How could you forget about it. Shennanigans were so abundant it was just about impossible not to get dragged into something at any hour of any day.

This thread is now about bringing back MSN Game Zone trial subscriptions.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:25 PM CST
<<This thread is now about bringing back MSN Game Zone trial subscriptions.

DR should become a facebook app.

Falker
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:26 PM CST
Falker just braided ten bushels of grass!

Would you like to braid grass? Play Dragonfarms now!

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:27 PM CST
>Hey, that's how I got started in DR!

Me too!
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:30 PM CST
>>Hey, that's how I got started in DR!

>Me too!

I got drunk one night and became convinced that I was really a half-man-half-snake that lisped and was married to a male midget. I frantically started looking online for something I could relate to, and the rest is history.

Ahh, memories.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:34 PM CST
Checkers must have been full.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:35 PM CST

>>This thread is now about bringing back MSN Game Zone trial subscriptions.

No. Really.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:35 PM CST
<<Falker just folded ten oxen of origami!

Fixed

Falker
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 02:54 PM CST
>Does being "open" invalidate your ability to report someone for bringing an OOC conflict IG? I didn't think it does, since that breaks game policy.

"OoC motivations" has got to be the only thing even harder to prove than harassment, and that's if the GM will even listen to someone who is Open reporting about PvP in the first place.

I'm also curious what policy you think it breaks, other than "What is not acceptable is to initiate combat against unsuspecting victims." (Policy 11) which being Open waives.

>Reserving the right to report unconsented PvP is, to me, similar to reserving the right to blow up squirrels with anti-aircraft missiles.

I'm sorry, but I read this complaint as "I like to reserve the right to kill people without an in-game justification. I realize this is against the rules and I can be punished for it, therefore I'm afraid to play with people who are protected by these rules."

>this is like the same 3 posts repeated over and over again....

Thanks for your contribution.

For anyone else who has lost track, the point of this thread was to request that the wording of PvP stances be adjusted to end this level of confusion and ambiguity in the system.

RueaDR: It really freaks me out how much fluff people wear
There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Included in this was four broaches, two garters, a girdle and a corset
how is that physically possible
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:00 PM CST
<<I'm also curious what policy you think it breaks, other than "What is not acceptable is to initiate combat against unsuspecting victims." (Policy 11) which being Open waives.>>

You're right, bro. Choosing PVP open obviously means that someone is free to bring in OOC conflicts and grief you.

If you want to be cute about it, let's just throw the whole thing under the harassment subclause of section 17d Statute vii.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:12 PM CST
<<There needs to be another msn games free trial period>>

I remember being on that chatroom a lot when playing DR from wizard. There's still a couple of players who still play from those days.

- Simon
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:36 PM CST
>Choosing PVP open obviously means that someone is free to bring in OOC conflicts and grief you.

Spoiler alert:

It does.

Good luck getting someone warned for harassment for PvPing with someone who's Open.

>I remember being on that chatroom a lot when playing DR from wizard. There's still a couple of players who still play from those days.

Guilty. Summer 2001. Ysselt claims to remember me from that chat, too.

There isn't a limit? I just passed a girl wearing fifteen lines of fluff, I counted!
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:37 PM CST
Overall, I've avoided this thread b/c Seg is set to Open and that's that... but a question occurred to me as I was scrolling through these and caught just enough.

Folks who are set to open are still able to report harassment, are they not? I.E. BigBadBackstabbingThief kills you once randomly because you're open, let it alone. But if BBBT comes back and does it again and again and again, simply because you're open, I believe you are then allowed to report in spite of the open profile (provided you can prove harassment).

I'm another one of the lucky ones I guess -- only been killed once just because I was open, and even then I was in a place where it was more or less expected to happen eventually (Crossing cemetery, I was there to raise not to fight that night -- only resulted in momentary irritation for me).

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:40 PM CST
>Coming from you:
>:psyduck:

I admit my irrational dislike of DR's combat system at PVP pacing is irrational.

I've also never let it ruin my day. It's maybe 15 minutes of discomfort flushing an inordinate amount of stress chemicals. I'd like to avoid that because it's just incredibly dull not to be able to find the presence of mind to do anything in PVP, but it's not like I'm unequipped to deal with the fallout. You can't avoid stress.

Maybe it ruins playing DR for a little while but... sheesh. Maybe it's because I've had roles arbitrating PVP policy disputes in other games that I don't see how anyone could ever think of them as more than trivial?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:53 PM CST
>>Good luck getting someone warned for harassment for PvPing with someone who's Open.

Actually, I'd like to correct this. Harassment policy applies to everyone including Open people. So yes, if an Open person is killed again and again and again and again while clearly showing they'd rather for it to stop (and this does not mean yapping off and continuing with threats + insults), they are protected under the policy.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:56 PM CST
>>Maybe it's because I've had roles arbitrating PVP policy disputes in other games that I don't see how anyone could ever think of them as more than trivial?

A consult resulting in a month long lockout for a friend is more than trivial, to me.

-- Player of Szrael --

and simple to express:

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 03:58 PM CST
>> Do true griefers even exist in this game anymore?

Yes.

>> Does being "open" invalidate your ability to report someone for bringing an OOC conflict IG? I didn't think it does, since that breaks game policy.

Open essentially means everybody in the game has consent on you, just as if you'd gwethsmashed or thumped them. You cannot report someone for it, even if the reason they killed you is because you called them a buttface via AIM.

The thing you need to realize is that RP doesn't really dictate policy beyond it being the framework in which the tit-for-tat nature of implied consent is presented. As Armifer points out, if the environment was better, we wouldn't even need consent policy. But we don't exist in a great environment, and enough of us have had negative experiences or have friends who have had negative experiences that we simply don't want to deal with it.

And yes, I believe changing my PvP stance to Guarded was the superior option compared to actually assisting and attempting to get someone punished for harassment. It wastes less of my time and the GMs' time for one, and I don't have to deal with the stigma and harassment that comes with having actually reported someone.

>> Maybe it's because I've had roles arbitrating PVP policy disputes in other games that I don't see how anyone could ever think of them as more than trivial?

Wake up one day to an email in your inbox from Lockout then see how you feel about it.

Get told you're being reported by someone being purely petty and vicious and know that even though they're just using it as an "I win" button (which is always inappropriate) your account and your ability to continue playing the game is still in serious jeopardy if you are unable to make a clear case for why you did it with examples from NEWS items - and even then that's not always enough.

I've been flat-out told by GMs that have issued me warnings that if the exact same situation was reported now that was reported X years ago that I wouldn't be issued a warning. Policy interpretations change with time and GMs, but the black marks on your account stay forever, and every consult (even the ones you don't get in any trouble in) is a black mark.

It's not a good feeling, and yes, it's very stressful. Try not to speak so authoritatively about situations you clearly haven't experienced.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 04:04 PM CST
I really like these discussions (odd, I know). My personal opinion is that everyone should not stress about profile issues. Play the game in a manner that makes you happy and is enjoyable for your money.

Understand, however, that your profile selections (any of them) may limit your ability to interact with other players. Most Open people do not like Closed people and Closed people do not like Open people. For me, I let the person dictate my decisions. I know some awful open people and some really great closed people.

My personal opinion is that I wish everyone was open and the only policy in place was a harrassment policy. I think that would make everything much easier. But, we all pay to play the game and everyone should be able to enjoy the game within the confines of existing policy.

For me, I am RP - Medium and PvP - Open. In short, I am open to anything that is less than harrassment. I selected RP "Medium" (some are surprised by this) because I have known some excellent roleplayers in my years in this game, and I am not up to that level. So, it is a bit of a goal of mine to improve my ability to roleplay.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 04:10 PM CST
>>Do true griefers even exist in this game anymore?

Define your terms.

In the current state of DR, when I run a PC I set them to Guarded. I plan to switch over to Open when I guesstimate at least 95% (or 19 out of 20) of the player base interacts with other players in good faith.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 05:26 PM CST
Poor Annwyl. Usually I consider Annwyl to be the Board Nazi Buzz Kill Extraordinaire of Really Good Threads... but this is an interminably long and pointless thread.

Play how you want, and to heck with what anyone else thinks. Yes, griefers exist. Yes, it sucks. So what? That part of my game time is less than 1 percent and I suck it up and move on. It's not worth dealing with those people or even getting upset about it. It's part of the game so people need to quit crying about getting killed. It happens. Carry favors, depart items, and move on.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 06:06 PM CST
>>Define your terms.

>>In the current state of DR, when I run a PC I set them to Guarded. I plan to switch over to Open when I guesstimate at least 95% (or 19 out of 20) of the player base interacts with other players in good faith.

I can't really think of a definition of a griefer, so i borrowed one from urban dictionary.

>>Someone, usually in an online game, who intentionally, and usually repeatedly, attempts to degrade anothers experience or torment them.

I don't see too many examples of this anymore, nor do i think it's necessarily bad for the game to have griefers since it does give opportunity for others to step in and play the good guy.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 06:10 PM CST
>> I don't see too many examples of this anymore, nor do i think it's necessarily bad for the game to have griefers since it does give opportunity for others to step in and play the good guy.

It's very important to distinguish here between someone who simply roleplays a jerk and someone who actually is a jerk.

The former actually seeks to enrich the experience of others through providing the environment with a villain, enemy, counterpart, rival, or just someone for people to hate on. The latter either doesn't care about the shared experience or actively seeks to disrupt and ruin it for others.

The former are good and necessary parts of a healthy setting. The latter is not.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 06:19 PM CST
>Harassment policy applies to everyone including Open people.
>My personal opinion is that I wish everyone was open and the only policy in place was a harrassment policy.

Harassment is even more ambiguous than the current Guarded PvP setting or Consent policy.

It's not even a good safety net now, and it's definitely not the solution you're looking for.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 08:53 PM CST
>>It's very important to distinguish here between someone who simply roleplays a jerk and someone who actually is a jerk.<<

I'm not sure a person's motive really matters if the results are the same, because nobody is in a position to evaluate a player's motivations but the player.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/03/2009 08:57 PM CST
>>It's not even a good safety net now, and it's definitely not the solution you're looking for.<<

IMO, Harassment is a better solution for two reasons.

First, harassment requires demonstrating a pattern of abuse. Minor annoyances and one-off fracases could not earn someone a warning under a strict harassment policy.

Second, because harassment requires establishing a pattern, there can be intervention steps before warnings and lockouts get issued.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company