Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/04/2009 12:04 AM CST
>I've been flat-out told by GMs that have issued me warnings that if the exact same situation was reported now that was reported X years ago that I wouldn't be issued a warning.

I appreciate the rest of the points there and will conceed the sentiments are simply too alien for me to comprehend, but...

The above is explicitly stated in the agreements. So why is that emotionally charged?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/04/2009 06:15 AM CST
Robertdh,

If you were potentially going to lose access to DR for 30 days because of a minor altercation provoked by someone else, wouldn't you be a little mad?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/04/2009 12:05 PM CST
>If you were potentially going to lose access to DR for 30 days because of a minor altercation provoked by someone else, wouldn't you be a little mad?

Maybe I don't like DR that much. I'd be sad about the money, those fourteen bucks are the entirety of my sad little entertainment budget.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/04/2009 12:28 PM CST
Stop reading and posting for a month, as an experiment.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/04/2009 01:26 PM CST
I tend to think things too literally but... you don't need a subscription to read the boards. I followed them on and off during the four years I couldn't afford one.

It's really no less intuitive and easy to navigate without place saving.

...but I wont' have time to check these again until Friday if your goal is just to get rid of me :P

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 11:53 AM CST
"If you were potentially going to lose access to DR for 30 days because of a minor altercation provoked by someone else, wouldn't you be a little mad?"

But you completely control that. You choose the actions your character takes and you know that some actions can result in penalties. You could instead choose to RP in a non-violent way. As an example- I have absolutely no fear of being locked out for 30 days- I don't tend to start conflict and conflict doesn't seem to come to me.

I realize that is what you are saying when you say you choose not to intereact with Closed/Guarded and again I say thats how this should work. The potential consequences are no different now than they were before Profiles were introduced. You just more options than before to tell others of what you like.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 12:30 PM CST
>>But you completely control that. You choose the actions your character takes and you know that some actions can result in penalties. You could instead choose to RP in a non-violent way. As an example- I have absolutely no fear of being locked out for 30 days- I don't tend to start conflict and conflict doesn't seem to come to me

You don't completely control it at all, what you're saying is like preaching abstinence to prevent pregnancy. Yeah sure it's the only 100% way to guarantee it won't happen but it's really no fun at all.

Believe it or not a lot of people enjoy PvP in dragonrealms. If they wanted this game to be purely non violent snuggly RP then they would have put in a mechanic to prevent PvP completely.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 12:45 PM CST
>Believe it or not a lot of people enjoy PvP in dragonrealms. If they wanted this game to be purely non violent snuggly RP then they would have put in a mechanic to prevent PvP completely.

I say we bring back learning from attacking other players.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 12:52 PM CST
... there was a time when attacking other players taught exp?

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 12:53 PM CST
<<... there was a time when attacking other players taught exp? >>

No.

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 12:54 PM CST
>>... there was a time when attacking other players taught exp?

Not that I remember and I'd be surprised if it ever did since way back when PvP was discouraged if not actually forbidden.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 01:18 PM CST
There was always plenty of PvP to be had, except that in the beginning it was only found when silly barbarians wanted to prove their fail outside the warrior mage guild. Ahh, the good old days of guild on guild hate.

"So it is a sword, It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations."
"...or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 02:58 PM CST
<<But you completely control that. You choose the actions your character takes and you know that some actions can result in penalties. You could instead choose to RP in a non-violent way. As an example- I have absolutely no fear of being locked out for 30 days- I don't tend to start conflict and conflict doesn't seem to come to me.>>

Sure, the player controls that. The unfortunate part is that they may have decided to play a character who seeks conflict, or has too much pride to back down, or is so insecure that they lash out whenever insulted, or likes to violently avenge more vulnerable characters etc. People play these kind of characters, small and big. The point is that playing through these character concepts can and often does end up in a GM talk, if the other party is closed/guarded.

There's a lot of talk about guarded people being totally okay with conflict, as long as it's RPed. The problem is that you won't be examining the "Was it RPed well enough?" question until you just got smoked. You're probably not in the best mood at that point, as a player (very, very few people are detached enough to not care at all OOC when their character gets killed). So basically, you're dead, you can report and bust a person, or you can just take your kill in stride.

My experience is that it's very hard for a person to believe a conflict was RPed properly...when they just got smoked. If they won, well then it was stellar RP.

Open says you're willing to avoid that subjective ex post judgment.

That said, I understand the guarded/closed argument. For some people, the extremely rare random/unjustified violent encounter is not worth the potential fun that comes from Open interactions. To some people, no form of PvP violence is fun (but they often love GMPC v PC, known boundaries maybe?).

I don't really care which setting people choose, but I would encourage people to at least try Open. When and if you ever are attacked, try RPing it. Gweth, get word out about what happened and who did it. If it was truly undeserved, there's a lot of people out there that would like to RP the conflict.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:00 PM CST
<<Sure, the player controls that. The unfortunate part is that they may have decided to play a character who seeks conflict, or has too much pride to back down, or is so insecure that they lash out whenever insulted, or likes to violently avenge more vulnerable characters etc. People play these kind of characters, small and big. The point is that playing through these character concepts can and often does end up in a GM talk, if the other party is closed/guarded.>>

If your chosen character RP qualities land you in the consultation suite, you should reassess the character RP qualities that you've chosen.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:10 PM CST
>>You choose the actions your character takes and you know that some actions can result in penalties. You could instead choose to RP in a non-violent way.<<

I don't disagree with you. There is almost always an opportunity to walk away before a situation would involve policy. We can always choose to ignore provocation or to decline to provoke someone, and DR would probably be a more orderly place if people exercised that option a little more often.

I'm not sure that the best way to make someone think twice before escalating to violence is with a strong PvP policy like the one we have now. The current PvP policy creates some perverse incentives. For example, Policy encourages passive aggression by rewarding people who can push someone's buttons while skirting the threshold that Policy requires for that person to use force. Policy also encourages the strong to bully the weak. If you know you can deal with someone and know you can deal with their spouse, there is nothing to stop you from taking even the most minor provocation as an invitation to violence. People get VERY brave and VERY uncivil when they're confidant they're going to win.

And PvP policy doesn't really prevent griefing behavior. If your objective is to stop someone from having a good time there are plenty of ways to do it without engaging in PvP.

None of that is really healthy for the gaming environment.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:13 PM CST
>> If you know you can deal with someone and know you can deal with their spouse, there is nothing to stop you from taking even the most minor provocation as an invitation to violence. People get VERY brave and VERY uncivil when they're confidant they're going to win.

Yeah, about that.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:17 PM CST
People also get very uncivil when they thought they were going to win and then don't.

The system has its plus and minuses.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:34 PM CST
I don't understand why people devolve to the point where murder is the goal when it is most obviously an attempt to prove a point. I look at it like the 18th and 19th century codes of honor. If your rival defames you then you challenge them to a duel - complete with seconds, witnesses, and a timeline. I would like to see this take place more often, especially after the proposed combat changes when onlookers might get a decent show of it. If a player fails to show up, the point is better proven than if they are splattered by a heavy fisted 150th in a spot where noone sees it happen. It could add to the community and still fulfill these needs players seem to have.

Obviously, there are group on group activities that don't fit and call for "OPEN," but there is a good way to RP mano a mano vindication without approaching policy violation.

"So it is a sword, It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations."
"...or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:39 PM CST
<<I don't understand why people devolve to the point where murder is the goal when it is most obviously an attempt to prove a point. I look at it like the 18th and 19th century codes of honor.>>

Dragonrealms is a bit more brutal than those eras. From what I can tell, it's made that way by design. Check out the combat messaging, the hardcore weaponry...

In a game that's more medieval than renaissance, I'd say that throwing down and killing someone is a perfectly acceptable way of solving a problem.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:48 PM CST
Except that we must curb that brutality and bring a note of civility into proceedings to fit with the "laws" as set forth by the GMs, when interacting with other players. It was perfectly fine in the middle ages to kill a peasant, but not a noble. We may not be royalty, but we're a notch above the peasants.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 03:52 PM CST
<<Except that we must curb that brutality and bring a note of civility into proceedings to fit with the "laws" as set forth by the GMs, when interacting with other players. It was perfectly fine in the middle ages to kill a peasant, but not a noble. We may not be royalty, but we're a notch above the peasants.>>

Not really, no.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 04:10 PM CST
You, sir, are a contrarian.

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 04:37 PM CST
It's incorrect to say DR's setting belongs to any particular RL time period or culture. We exist in a setting that embraces steam-powered machinery and steampunk fashion and kimonos and katanas, yet seemingly completely rejects gunpowder and related technologies.

More on-topic, I generally go into conflicts expecting to lose. It helps.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:01 PM CST
>>My experience is that it's very hard for a person to believe a conflict was RPed properly...when they just got smoked. If they won, well then it was stellar RP.

This. I had a baby thief that had no problem getting into PvP mainly because anyone could look at him and tell he was a low circle. He got smoked a lot.

I remember running a test - I whispered to 20 random people and told them I was an assassin hired to kill them. Before I could say anything else, about 7 of them threatened to report me in one fashion or another. Most didn't believe or just ignored me.

I remember the player of Galren lowering his attack stance and when people saw that he couldn't hit him, they'd fight back, then report after he raised it again and killed them. I tried this once in a different way and it actually worked.

A lot of people just want to win win win win. They'll claim they don't like PvP but then turn around and act like they are Open if they think they outclass the target. This has been my experience more than once.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:08 PM CST
The questions I like to ask is... if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:08 PM CST
<<More on-topic, I generally go into conflicts expecting to lose. It helps.>>

You remind me of me sometimes. Scary stuff.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:09 PM CST
<<The questions I like to ask is... if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!>>

Excellent question- I'm sure the poll answer would be yes, but real examples would end up stacking up in the no column.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:13 PM CST
>> if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!

Both have happened to me, and neither time did I report. I have attacked back however, though frankly I'm less inclined to attack someone if it's really obvious to me that I can kill them.

Funnily, someone did kill me out of the blue once pre-profile for absolutely no reason that I could discern (later learned it was the newly-bought HLC of someone that didn't like me). They proceeded to log out and run to hide in the Thieves' Guild every time I came across them after that, until I finally managed to corner them and kill them back.

The irony? They then reported me.

Rev. Reene

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:31 PM CST
>>The questions I like to ask is... if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!<<

Both my prime characters are Closed. Both have been killed more than once. I've never reported, nor will I.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:39 PM CST
>>The irony? They then reported me.

Yeah, there's so many levels and variations of this that it can be sad. Both the provoker and 'victim' can hide behind policy in certain situations.

One thing's for certain... depending on the character I'm using, I can't just go 100% RP gaming without bothering to check people's profiles or being extremely careful or I'd be locked out of the game.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 05:59 PM CST
>>INSOLENTWRAITH>There's a lot of talk about guarded people being totally okay with conflict, as long as it's RPed. The problem is that you won't be examining the "Was it RPed well enough?" question until you just got smoked. You're probably not in the best mood at that point, as a player (very, very few people are detached enough to not care at all OOC when their character gets killed). So basically, you're dead, you can report and bust a person, or you can just take your kill in stride.

>>INSOLENTWRAITH>My experience is that it's very hard for a person to believe a conflict was RPed properly...when they just got smoked. If they won, well then it was stellar RP.

I agree wholeheartedly.

>>VEE-REX>The questions I like to ask is... if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!

A lot of my character's PvP experiences have started because she is an Empath, who is low circle, and therefore ought to be easy meat. Szrael is reasonably polite to most people (there are exceptions) but she won't put up with crap from people. I have tried to play her this way even when she was still a commoner or a 15th circle Empath hunting morah vines or sand sprites.

Back when she was lower and had lower combats, she'd still get in lots of fights, but people would kill her, over and over and over, and no one ever reported that, even if she initiated the attack. Navak once called my character "That Empath everyone and their mother kills for fun."

But later on, when she got rather abnormally beefy for an Empath, people would still pick fights with her, but would often report if they lost, even if they initiated the attacking.

This is one of the things that really irritates me about many, many guarded and closed people, as others have mentioned upthread.

Killing an Empath who backtalks to you is great RP, but being killed by an Empath who you attacked is awful and the Empath is an OOC [redacted] who deserves to be walked or locked out of the game.

I have tried not to change the way I play my character, but the outcomes are different. She wins more than she loses and I end up in the consultation suite many, many times more often than when my character was a 30th circler getting beat down by Toggish WMs every other week.

If someone would seriously report being attacked by a 15th circle Empath just the same as they would a 150th Barbarian, fine. But I don't think that's how most people work, and I find the differing responses somewhat deceitful.

-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err, and err, and err again,
but less, and less, and less.

http://empathunion.com
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 06:45 PM CST
>> Yeah, there's so many levels and variations of this that it can be sad. Both the provoker and 'victim' can hide behind policy in certain situations.

The terrible part of it is that I very nearly got a warning because him killing me had taken place a month prior. It simply took me that long to manage catching up to him. I had to dredge up logs with timestamps to convince the GM that yes, he had killed me, no, he didn't have consent, and yes, I had tried to find him repeatedly since then and each time he had logged out or hidden in areas I couldn't get to.

>> Szrael

I'd definitely agree that I have a lot more of a problem with the report-as-a-win-button mentality than I do with people who really genuinely just do not want anything to do with PvP.

On killing weaker characters, I really try not to. In many situations I'll simply remove a limb and tell them to run away. It gets the point across while seemingly not bothering people quite as much (I mean, I do understand getting slightly annoyed at losing field exp and all) as well as helping to paint my character in a certain light ICly.

Rev. Reene

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 07:15 PM CST
I went open for a time and I was attacked randomly, it ended badly for the attacker. I changed to guarded not because I wish an I win button but there are times that I am out stirring the political pot and a random out of the blue attack would seriously impede my time.

I will also say I do not refer to profile to decide how I wil rp with another. Nor does circle matter to me, if they are young and raise my ire enough to make me draw a weapon I am most likely going to use it. There are times I thump the offender or I will sometimes remove myself from the area, this is usually due to RP reasons. I will not attack anyone unless ordered to in the Tower. That would be counter to my rp in respect to the Tower.

I also cannot remember the last time I was in consult for PVP though I do find myself in PVP time to time. I will only report for harassment generally and frown upon others deciding what justice is for my character hence the no reporting. I have been given language warnings I think that was the last warning I recieved.

I look at things like this; It takes all kinds to make the world and I prefer this world to have conflict good and bad guys is generally a perspective. There are many rulers and people that hate my Queen and consider her a bad guy. I however think she is awesome and Rp such. This leads to conflict sometimes even to PVP. If everyone was a good guy I think I would be bored to tears and move along. I love the way many characters are fleshed out and really given some detail. One thing I can say is consistency takes time and trial and error. I err more often than I care to admit but I have fun doing it!

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 07:24 PM CST
"One thing's for certain... depending on the character I'm using, I can't just go 100% RP gaming without bothering to check people's profiles or being extremely careful or I'd be locked out of the game."

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I have nothing against Vinjince- always seemed a stand up guy in game- but this game has consent rules which I am quite comfortable with.

"if you are Closed/Guarded, would you still report if someone randomly out of the blue attacked you but couldn't hit you at all? Would you do it if they one-shot you? This should be a poll!"

I wouldn't bother to report anyone casually. If someone killed Flavius with no cause or warning, I might report him just because that kill wasted my time. Do I care if that results in the character being locked out- not really. He would have made the choice in that case. That said, I have never reported someone for CvC, even though Flavius has been killed a few times. If someone attacked me, but caused no harm, I would be unlikely to report him unless he continued to bother me without any fun being involved.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 08:05 PM CST
>>I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I have nothing against Vinjince- always seemed a stand up guy in game- but this game has consent rules which I am quite comfortable with.

My point was - policy does and can cut into RP. Someone that can be RP'ing 100% with no kind of griefing whatsoever can get locked out of the game because of people's insecurities. Whereas, they'd do just fine if people bothered to OOC whisper if they think it was going too far. This is only dealing with those who are RP'ing 100%. An OOC whisper can easily distinguish between that kind and those who are just out to ruin the game for others.

Might not be... 'bad', but given the nature of the game it's kind of sad IMO.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 08:52 PM CST
What I would love to see, is if someone reports and what they are reporting is blatantly untrue then I would like to see them suffer the fate that the other person would have gotten. I have a strong distaste for people not speaking the turth when it comes to reporting.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 09:23 PM CST
Counter-reports engage!

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 09:24 PM CST
>> Counter-reports engage!

I'm not sure this isn't the right way to go. After all, once a person chooses the playing field, why not make them play the same game?

And sometimes being the one getting reported can change your perspective on the issue, so that's a potentially positive outcome.

Rev. Reene

Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/05/2009 09:26 PM CST
On paper, I agree 100%.. in the field? not sure the GMs want that burden

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: The overall state of a once good thing. 11/06/2009 05:47 AM CST
People are afraid to lose, even in a spar.....most will not spar if they think they will lose. Even with a healing empath right there willing to heal. :/
Unless I know my opponent is a real challenge or is going to wipe the floor with me I always start out with a lower weapon.

I sparred a person yesterday that I beat, that afterward whispered, Your profile says 60th so I thought it was going to be quick...that must be old?

Seriously?

Anyways, they said they weren't spelled up and wanted a rematch so they got spelled up and then beat me so they were happy again.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html