Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
Re: Holy Weapons 06/27/2011 11:46 PM CDT
>>Mrdahjr1971: Forgive me if I have anything wrong but I'm trying to think a little ahead here: When making a holy weapon, if the weapon is swappable HE/2HE, will it work on the entire weapon (both forms)?

You can use swappable weapons and thrown weapons -- just not ranged weapons (bows, crossbows, and slings).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Holy Weapons 06/30/2011 01:34 AM CDT
<You can use swappable weapons and thrown weapons -- just not ranged weapons (bows, crossbows, and slings).

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't thrown weapons not quite right in regards to holy weapons? The melee would work, but not the thrown, or has that changed?
Re: Holy Weapons 06/30/2011 02:35 AM CDT
>>Rhodges232: Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't thrown weapons not quite right in regards to holy weapons? The melee would work, but not the thrown, or has that changed?

I haven't tested that. (My holy weapon is a greatsword.) I'm just going by what I was told when I asked before doing the quest.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Holy Weapons 06/30/2011 09:00 AM CDT
< You throw a double-headed hurling axe with a mammoth tusk handle at a zombie head-splitter. A zombie head-splitter fails to evade.
The axe releases a deafening roar, calling out proudly to Chadatru and lands a vicious strike that slices it clean in two to spill a rotting heap of entrails upon the ground.

The hurling axe lodges itself deeply into the zombie head-splitter!
A zombie head-splitter falls belly-up and grunts its last grunt.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

Thrown holy weapons work just fine. Just remember to cast BW on it before you throw it. If it lodges and then something happens to you or the creature, you could be in trouble.
Re: Holy Weapons 06/30/2011 02:51 PM CDT
Ahhh, thanks for the update.
Holy Weapon 02/15/2003 05:20 PM CST
Ok, I am now able to start my quest for the holy weapon, and I have two questions that I would like to ask. First, should I wait until I am higher circle, I have heard that the weapon is better if you wait. Is it substantially better and therefore worth the wait, or should I go ahead and get it now? Second, I have heard that non-forged weapons are best to use (in case of losing it in a crash), and I am thinking of using my spike-hilted longsword, which I really like the look of but I am aware does not have the best stats...
*You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the longsword is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the spike-hilted longsword is fairly sturdy*
But being somewhat nieve in regards to weapons, I do not know how much better they can get in HE. Should I just go ahead and use a forged weapon? I'm HE primary with 2HE secondary so a bastard sword would be nice. Really I'm just looking for some general info here. I appreciate all your help and thank you in advance.
Holy Warrior Alaxndr
Re: Holy Weapon 02/15/2003 05:40 PM CST
<<First, should I wait until I am higher circle, I have heard that the weapon is better if you wait. Is it substantially better and therefore worth the wait, or should I go ahead and get it now?>>

This is now a myth. It was an idea that Raphael kicked around when he was GM, but now means nothing.

<<Second, I have heard that non-forged weapons are best to use (in case of losing it in a crash)>>

It really doesn't matter. The "risk" is the same as losing any forged weapon in a crash--it will be replaced with a standard storebought item. If you're careful, this won't be a problem.

However, don't take your best weapon ever and make it holy. It just isn't worth it right now, especially with the extremely limited strikes and dearth of recharge sites.

Drongol's Player
Re: Holy Weapon 02/15/2003 05:48 PM CST
I did not realize that was a myth, thank you for correcting me Drongol. Tyden also helped me in-game, a big thanks to him. I love the community we have in our guild, it gives me warm fuzzies ;-)
-Holy Warrior Alaxndr
Re: Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 03:29 AM CST
There are betting storebought or fest type weapons to choose from in the game than that one. The spike hilted is either an invasion or Taisdon quest weapon I believe. Not sure what policy would be on replacing a quest or invasion weapon.

You should plan on a weapon that will be of the weight you can swing at min rt at a strength you project you will have say 10 circles from now. The weight of the weapon plus the impact value will be well worth the longer rts for a short bit.

Since I have no idea of what strength you are now some options to look at would be the SCC falchion or the schiavonna from ratha on the heavy side of things. On the longsword bent I really do like the gleamer from theren. There are also quite a number of fest weapons out there, such as an Onyx broadsword, the outrageously expensive but well worth it blued spiked knuckled broadsword... etc etc. My understanding is that fest type weapons would be replaced identically to what they were, but I suppose some GM clarification of that would be nice.

Daython
Re: Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 07:43 AM CST
Another thing to consider is that with upper end critters, Balance tends to be a very important feature of a weapon and Longswords just don't have that. For a hard hitting HE weapon I know Swept-Hilt Falchion (SSC), Robe Sword (Aesry) and Schiavonna (Ratha) all have the same stats. But you will need roughly 46 or so Strength to swing them at min rt. Both are fairly heavy at 56 Stones. Appraisal is Poor/Heavy/Moderate Fairly/Fairly.

I will most likely try to obtain one of those to use for my Holy Weapon, but preferably will try to get a Fest Schiavanna this way I have a 'fancy' weapon to use. But that isn't for at least 3 more circles yet.
Re: Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 08:18 AM CST
You might want to try and see if anyones selling a schiavona from the bard fest, P/H/M F/F 46 stones I think...
Bastard Swords and Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 09:34 AM CST
Can't remember if this has been addressed before or not, but can a Bastard Sword be used for Holy Weapon?
Re: Bastard Swords and Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 11:00 PM CST
>>can a Bastard Sword be used for Holy Weapon?

Any weapon you can hold in your hand and that appraises AS a weapon (ie. No using Juggling Pins which teach HT when brawling since this does not appraise as a weapon with slice/puncture/impact damage stats), can be used as a Holy Weapon by placing said weapon on the altar at the conclusion of the Quest.

Redarch
Re: Bastard Swords and Holy Weapon 02/16/2003 11:07 PM CST
>>>>can a Bastard Sword be used for Holy Weapon?

>>Any weapon you can hold in your hand and that appraises AS a weapon (ie. No using Juggling Pins which teach HT when brawling since this does not appraise as a weapon with slice/puncture/impact damage stats), can be used as a Holy Weapon by placing said weapon on the altar at the conclusion of the Quest.

>>Redarch

Ah okay, thought I heard somewhere that I couldn't be done with a Bastard Sword is that only for Bonding a weapon?
Re: Holy Weapon 02/17/2003 12:12 PM CST
<<However, don't take your best weapon ever and make it holy.>>

This is a problem for me. My thought of doing the quest was to have your 'best' weapon sanctioned by the gods. Personally I think it should be your best weapon, stats, alteration or RP logic (father's sword, etc) that should be made holy.

I have heard from a few people that the quest conveys no additional benefit from waiting, but that it was wise to wait until about 60th circle as the typical skills of a 50th circle paladin were not up to the task. That the critters would be too difficult and you would expect to lose several weapons in the attempts. Is this essentially correct?

Thanks - Cyllwdd
Re: Holy Weapon 02/17/2003 12:34 PM CST
<<This is a problem for me. My thought of doing the quest was to have your 'best' weapon sanctioned by the gods. Personally I think it should be your best weapon, stats, alteration or RP logic (father's sword, etc) that should be made holy.>>

I agree with you, but understand that your "best" weapon, in that case, will be spending all its time sheathed or in a harness while you kill critters right and left with your "backup" weapon. Put simply, the benefits of the Holy Weapon don't come even close to matching its drawbacks, and unless you hunt Adan'f in Shard constantly (or live on whatever island the new recharge site is on), you'll find that you're more terrified of losing the weapon than you are of putting it to use.

Oh, and better hope you have a Paladin buddy in the area if you die with your Holy Weapon. See, the way the bond works is that nobody else can touch it, but it doesn't stick to your hand. Either keep BW up all the time (wasting mana that could be used to bolster your defenses) or hope a Paladin can bond it to you upon your death.

Put simply, it just plain isn't worth it.

<<I have heard from a few people that the quest conveys no additional benefit from waiting, but that it was wise to wait until about 60th circle as the typical skills of a 50th circle paladin were not up to the task. That the critters would be too difficult and you would expect to lose several weapons in the attempts. Is this essentially correct?>>

Quite honestly, I have no idea. I completed the Holy Weapon quest before it was necessary to kill any critters at all, but I will say this much: bring several blessed weapons along.

Heck, if anyone needs any help on the quest, IM me at Drongol2 and I'll do my best to help out. I hate "find the spot and guess the syntax" quests, and this one really does epitomize it.

Drongol's Player
Re: Holy Weapon 02/17/2003 01:30 PM CST
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the holy weapon would end up in the vault like most of my other 'good' stuff if I took an unreplaceable (or poorly compensated due to loss) item. I'll probably have enough skill by the time I make a decision that I won't have to worry as much about it anyway (slow at weighing factors not fast at circling grin)

<<I hate "find the spot and guess the syntax" quests>>

chuckle

My sentiments exactly.

Cheers - Cyllwdd
Re: Bastard Swords and Holy Weapon 02/18/2003 02:33 AM CST
l my sword
Your sword is shining with holy power.

Impressed into the metal is the image of a raven hovering over an anvil and holding a hammer and tongs in its claws.
>app my sword

It is a two-handed edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs about 40 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 1500 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
>swap sword
...wait 2 seconds.
>swap sword
You shift your bastard sword so you can use it one-handed.
>app my sword

It is a heavy edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You think it is likely that the bastard sword weighs around 40 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 1500 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Michael.
Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 12:23 PM CST

Drongol's player wrote in the other topic:

<<The weapon is a TOOL of Chadatru. With enough "power" (does anyone know how to do this), you go above sparks and flares and suchlike. The weapon begins to roar like a lion, cry out for "Justice," and even say the name "Chadatru.">>

In response to this, my Holy sword has always called out to Chadatru. But it does not as yet give off Colored Sparks or say "Justice".

Here is a fairly good example:

Driving in with naturally fluid movements, you step backward and then slice at a pale grey death spirit. A pale grey death spirit fails to dodge, stepping partly into the blow. The sword releases a deafening roar, calling out proudly to Chadatru and lands a massive strike that detonates the spirit's chest into a dazzling shower of brilliant white light.

Now the dazzling shower of brilliant white light is normal with DS if you hit them really well with a blessed weapon. I think.

But this does make me wonder what everyone else's Holy Weapon does. So please post what your sword has been doing.

Just for reference I got my sword at 50th circle and had 30 charisma.

Candidus
Re: Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 05:58 PM CST
In a wide pantheon of immortals there is no reason to believe that Kertigan's commune would have no effect on the weapon. Provided of course that in the dealings of immortals Chadatru has not prohibited it from being so. I see no evidence of any enmity between Kertigan and Chadatru so it is possible that it is fine with them.

Daython
Re: Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 07:59 PM CST
<<I see no evidence of any enmity between Kertigan and Chadatru so it is possible that it is fine with them.>>

There's also no evidence whatsoever of any alliance between Kertigen and Chadatru, and furthermore there's no precedent for any "cross-Immortal" abilities whatsoever.

Personally, I'm all for Kertigen's commune being usable. Remember, I play a Paladin of Kertigen. I'm also all for getting rid of the Chadatru-specific aspects of Holy Weapon. If you want to open up the "recharge" aspect of HW to multiple Immortals, you need to open the rest of HW to multiple Immortals.

Drongol's Player
Re: Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 08:05 PM CST
Or perhaps we could just use our renew glyph anytime and have it cost soul power anywhere but one of the designated spots.

Tyden
Re: Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 08:47 PM CST
Tyden,

>>perhaps we could just use our renew glyph anytime and have it cost soul power anywhere but one of the designated spots.

While this is an alternative to be considered, personally, I prefer the idea of getting assistance from the Clerics to "refill" my Holy Weapon with Holy Energy. It just seems more appropriate, and I would prefer we not go down the "solo butchers in plate" path we seem to have followed for years. I like the idea of more interaction/assistance between the guilds.

What I didn't like was being "dependent" upon another guild for us to do our "jobs" of combatting chaos/evil.

Redarch
Re: Holy Weapon Quirks - taken from Recharging a Holy Weapon 03/14/2003 09:53 PM CST
*ponders the posibility of questing with a favor orb to place on the altar to signify your preference in Immortals*

If you see a man screaming profanities while 'beating' a snowbank with a snowshovel, don't worry...

That's just me.
Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 09:18 AM CST
As the subject lines says, I'm gonna dig up this horse and beat it a few more times.

With the potential approval of War Mages "enchanting" weapons to imbue them with certain powers.. see DR-VALDRIK's post in the War Mage folders, I'd like to renew my request for the Holy Weapon to be replaceable. Even make it possible to change your chosen "Holy Weapon" by doing the Quest again and placing a different weapon on the Altar.

Reasoning:A Holy Weapon for Paladins should be a central focus of who and what they are. The image of a Paladin leading forces in battle against evil/undead, with his/her sword flaming and roaring as the battle rages defines us in many eyes.

What we have now, however is, a Holy Weapon that mostly gathers dust in a vault; rarely sees the light of day; almost never gets used in battle. All due to the fear of losing this weapon that may only be obtained once in a lifetime.

With the potential advent of Warrior Mages enchanting blades to flame or do ice damage, etc when swung (great idea by the way and appropriate for the Warrior Mages in my opinion), I can see a time when a paladin that doesn't already HAVE a Holy Weapon, will conciously CHOOSE to skip the Quest, because he/she can buy a good forged blade, buy a potion/spell/whatever from a Warrior Mage, and charge off into battle with a flaming sword, inspiring the troops instead. With the confidence that if by some set of circumstances, the sword is lost, it simply takes more plats to buy replacement blade and potions. And those that HAVE a Holy Weapon will stuff it in the deepest, darkest corner of the vault, there to rust in obscurity forever. I'd really HATE to see all that work on the whole Holy Weapon thing become another "War Horse" that waits in the stables forever.

So, once more, can we PLEASE look at making Holy Weapons replaceable?

Redarch
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 09:51 AM CST
>I can see a time when a paladin that doesn't already HAVE a Holy Weapon, will conciously CHOOSE to skip the Quest

>And those that HAVE a Holy Weapon will stuff it in the deepest, darkest corner of the vault, there to rust in obscurity forever.

Although I have been eligible to get a "holy weapon" from the time it was introduced, I have refrained from going on the quest primarily for this very reason. I always envisioned myself being at the utmost peak of my combat abilities when using my "holy weapon", but since it isn't replaceable, etc - this can never be the situation. I will always be superior in combat when using my forged weapons.

If it were adviseable to use a forged weapon as our holy weapon, AND we could be assured that it would be possible to replace it if lost, destroyed, etc (by re-doing the quest with a replacement weapon, or ? ? ?), I would set out to do the quest today.

But its not, so I don,t.

Add my name to the list of those begging to lift the onerous restrictions placed on our holy weapons. Thanks

Gloryarm
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 10:55 AM CST
I have no interest in obtaining a Holy Weapon and waning interest in War horses. Basically for the same reasons: solid idea, fits well with paladins, exciting release, slow development, "soon" fixes and additions, too many seemingly unresolvable restrictions, and the ever popular "guess the syntax" game.

I think lotsa folks like the RP aspect, but are looking for the performance boost as well. Oil and water.

-Slaris

If your gunna die, die with your boots on - Eddie, courtesy of B. Dickinson
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 11:16 AM CST
Throw my name in the hat to have this removed as well.. I am far from eligable... However... considering the downsides of going on a difficult and potentially life threatening quest to make my favorite weapon sit in my vault for fear that I wont be able to protect my axe.. let alone the people I am trying to protect.

Deutz
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 01:01 PM CST
The one-time only approach is not justified against the limited benefits presently. As a result, increase the 'benefit v. the detriment' or do away with the one-time aspect of the weapon.

That would be a vote in favor of Redarch's proposal for me.

Madigan, of Therengia
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 01:27 PM CST
Add another vote to remove this aspect of Holy Weapon from one who will not obtain a holy weapon nor own a warhorse because of all the reasons listed by others.

~Coine~

"Too often we...enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
-- John F. Kennedy
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/20/2003 02:16 PM CST
I think having a single chance to do something during your entire career in an online game like this is a bad idea. This is the only aspect of the game that characters are only allowed to do once, with the exception of a few grandfathering mechanics, but that's like comparing apples and carburators. A few things may be a huge pain to do again, but it's still possible. Barbarians may eventually get offered the chance to reverse their magic ranks, thus correcting a mistake in the past, and if someone were to choose the wrong spell, they can get it again next slot, but if a paladin were to use the wrong weapon for a HW, they don't get to correct that mistake ever. In a perfect world with no janitor and no game crashes/reboots this may work, but even if you have this thing permenantly affixed to your forehead with the Soddering Iron of Kertigen, there's always a chance to lose it due to things that aren't the paladin's fault.

Steel.

"Gotta kick it to darkness til it bleeds daylight" - The Barenaked Ladies.
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/21/2003 08:19 AM CST
Agreed.

Another factor of the 'one time only' situation that prevents me from doing the quest at this time is the inability to change the weapon at any time. If I take a robe sword with me on the quest then purchase a "kertig bastie" later when smithing 2 is released it would be nice to be able to sanctify the new better quality weapon. Being held to the original choice forever makes it tough to commit to the quest.

Ideally (IMHO) the choice of weapon would only indicate starting stats, ie: axe vs. broadsword vs. mace vs. etc, and the chosen weapon would 'grow' with the paladin.

Another vote for rescinding the one time only, ever clause.

Cheers - Cyllwdd
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/21/2003 08:46 AM CST
I also agree that the stats should improve as the paladin grows... essentially making it so a person can enchant a weapon they like the look of and not have to worry about it not having th oomph they might need to be competitive later on.

Deutz
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/21/2003 11:13 AM CST
I wonder if warrior mage enchanted weapons will be only for them and a one time only thing ::ponders:: I heard it won't but just a though...how come the enchanted weapon seems a more beefed up version of our holy weapon with a ton less limitations?

Either way, I think the one time holy weapon ever should be removed. The only cases I can see it actually being applied is when the first holy weapon was used against a player, or used with a bad soul destorying it. That I can see as being a one time thing, but I really wish I never got holy weapon cause the weapon I placed it on I used alot, then I got a better weapon and altered it since my holy weapon could not be done. Now i'm stuck with this worthless holy weapon sitting in my vault. I vote for the one time only thing be changed, and allow people to switch the holiness of the weapon if the quest is done again.

A holy weapon is supposed to be a tool used by paladins to lead with and show how righteous we are. How can we do that if we are hiding it like a precious object that noone but you can see?

--Weebles wobble but the don't fall down! or do they?!?
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/22/2003 12:47 AM CST
Having just gone through complete mayhem to finish the holy weapon quest myself, I agree with those of you who think that holy weapon should not be a one time only thing. However, some sort of moderation should be necessary, we shouldn't be able to (though I'm sure some would love it) make 100 weapons into holy weapons. Perhaps once every 10 circles, or once a year, or something similar to that.

As for the clerics being able to recharge them I both like and dis-like this idea. I like it because as others have stated, it gives the oppurtunity for great RP, and increases the bond between the two guilds. I dis-like it due to the fact that a number of clerics screamed bloody murder when making the weapon.... more advantageous was discussed. Granted, I'm sure they had their reasons.

It is no easy task achieving the 50th circle, so when we finally make it there and are able to go on this quest... the weapon should be more spectacular than it is. Personally, I think perma-bless would be reasonably fair, despite the arguements to the contrary.

I'm not sure what is currently going on in the great mage planning for the weapon, but I hope there is something planned to improve it. I don't mind having to renew the weapon in Shard, I just think it shouldn't have to be renewed so frequently.

I'm a bit miffed that clerics will likely be able to raise themselves again in the future, but we can't get perma-bless....

As for the idea of war mages enchanting weapons, I love it, have been thinking of it myself for years, I truely appreciate all of the good work the GMs have been doing on behalf of the players recently. But I hope something can be done to improve holy weapons. If not... can we sell the darn things?

Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/22/2003 01:06 AM CST
>>However, some sort of moderation should be necessary, we shouldn't be able to (though I'm sure some would love it) make 100 weapons into holy weapons. Perhaps once every 10 circles, or once a year, or something similar to that.

While I may not have stated it clearly, my idea was that a Paladin could only ever have ONE Holy Weapon. If they got a brand new weapon they wanted to replace the old Holy Weapon with, they would complete either the entire Quest or some portion of it, and place the new weapon on the Altar.. thereby removing the "Holiness" of the previous weapon which goes back to being "regular".

I'd rather go that route than set a "time limit" on how often one could do the Quest.

Redarch
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/22/2003 05:52 PM CST
I like the idea of being able to get a new holy weapon at the start of every new [IG] year.
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/22/2003 09:05 PM CST
Put me up on the board of paladins who have been able to get the holy weapon but who have declined to do so.
The once in a lifetime aspect of the holy weapons reminds me too much of someone who get's his best girl's name tattooed on his arm, only to break up with this girl months/years later. He's left with a really stupid tat and a lifetime of explinations to future women. I have not / will not go on this quest just out of the simple fear that the weapon i get "turned" today would not be my ideal weapon in the future...

as always, this is just a Laythor-pinion, your actual mileage may vary

Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/23/2003 12:28 PM CST
Add my name to this pseudo list for the same reason.

But quite frankly, it would be a tool for me. I would be able to put it inside my vault and hook my backpack on it when rummaging through it, freeing both my hands to do my searching...

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stay together"
Re: Remove the ONE-TIME EVER part of Holy Weapon 03/23/2003 12:33 PM CST
Part of the issue is the backfiring bond. I still like the idea of a 'holy' scabbard that holds the holy weapon. The scabbard is bonded to stay on the paladin when he dies and if he ever drops his holy sword it automatically sheaths itself in the scabbard.

What if a holy weapon slowly regained its power while sheathed in the holy scabbard and that one only needed the recharge spots for a quick boost in power?

If you see a man screaming profanities while 'beating' a snowbank with a snowshovel, don't worry...

That's just me.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6