Re: Ways to Help Holy Weapon 07/01/2003 12:23 PM CDT
>>Right now, only pressing HW issues are being looked into.

I thought noone feeling secure enough to take advantage of the guild's highest ability made Holy Weapons a very pressing issue overall.
Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 01:43 AM CST
I recall somewhere from a long time ago, that the holy weapon growls and roars or something like that during combat. Is there anyway for our holy weapons to reflect more on our Patron than just on Chadatru?

Shandarilli,
Paladin of Urrem'tier
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 02:13 AM CST
Maybe someday we can place it on any altar in the game and then trace the altar with GoRenew, causing it to be dedicated to the god that the altar is aligned to.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 02:26 AM CST
We could always hope.

Shandarilli,
Paladin of Urrem'tier
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 03:30 AM CST
<<Maybe someday we can place it on any altar in the game and then trace the altar with GoRenew, causing it to be dedicated to the god that the altar is aligned to.>>

Not a bad idea. Maybe in the future. When I do a sweep of holy weapon it's going to be a bug hunt and add a couple minor features.

<<any altar>>

Eh? Definitely not any altar. :P Put it on a negative aspect and I'll have it come to life and cut off your head, then explode killing everyone in gweth range. [cackle]

-Ssra
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 06:42 AM CST
<<Maybe someday we can place it on any altar in the game and then trace the altar with GoRenew, causing it to be dedicated to the god that the altar is aligned to.>>

<<Not a bad idea. Maybe in the future. When I do a sweep of holy weapon it's going to be a bug hunt and add a couple minor features.>>

<<any altar>>

<<Eh? Definitely not any altar. :P Put it on a negative aspect and I'll have it come to life and cut off your head, then explode killing everyone in gweth range. [cackle]>>

<<-Ssra>>

Great so where is the nearest altar of Aldauth to Theren/Langenfirth at?
[ducks and runs, trying to evade death, but just dies tired]

Shandarilli,
Paladin of Urrem'tier
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 12:28 PM CST
> Eh? Definitely not any altar. :P Put it on a negative aspect and I'll have it come to life and cut off your head, then explode killing everyone in gweth range. [cackle]

Don't give Blasword ideas.

- AGM Dartenian
Platinum Events Team
Gnome & Kaldar Champion

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 02:23 PM CST
<Eh? Definitely not any altar. :P Put it on a negative aspect and I'll have it come to life and cut off your head, then explode killing everyone in gweth range. [cackle]>

::growls:: nothing wrong with the negative aspects...however, if you are still against allowing the negative aspects allow me to make this suggestion: only allow it to be attuned to the main thirteen and none of the aspects. that way by attuning to someone like Damaris it embodies both Dergati and Phelim...or in the case of Urrem'tier: Aldauth and Eylhaar

Vidumavi exclaims, "Wait!"
Vidumavi points at you.
Vidumavi exclaims, "Your that Blasword guy!"
>nod vid
You nod to Vidumavi.
Vidumavi exclaims, "You are the bomb!"
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 02:24 PM CST
<Don't give Blasword ideas.>

Hmm..you know, I have been thinking about trying out plat...

Vidumavi points at you.
>nod vid
You nod to Vidumavi.
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/01/2004 06:05 PM CST
<<::growls:: nothing wrong with the negative aspects>>

Of course not! They only sow the seeds of deceit, destruction and chaos, which we as paladins have no problems with.

Dandon

"If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something" ~ Jack Handy
Re: Effects of Holy Weapon 02/02/2004 08:45 PM CST
<<::growls:: nothing wrong with the negative aspects>>

<<Of course not! They only sow the seeds of deceit, destruction and chaos, which we as paladins have no problems with.>>

<<Dandon>>

Ack, yer not supposed to let that be known, how else are we gonna take over all of Elanthia?

Shandarilli,
Paladin of Urrem'tier
Smite and Holy Weapons 02/06/2004 01:13 PM CST
Not sure if it's the case already but could using Smite with a holy weapon not drain from soul pool? Not sure if that's useful in anyway since a holy weapon is already considered blessed, but it would be nice for those that liked to see the messaging.

"Oderint dum metuant."
Re: Smite and Holy Weapons 02/08/2004 07:57 AM CST
Now see, that's a big difference from the previous post on the other thread.

I like this idea, would actually even consider getting a HW.

Ecoles
Join me in King of Chaos
http://www.theclickmaster.com/link.php?db=01510b140606232210
Join me in Lords of Legend
http://www.lordsoflegend.com/user_page.php?id=MzEtNzc2MzA=
Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 05:04 AM CDT
Ssra said that holy weapons are getting a rewrite so thought I would post a few suggestions. My suggestion is to make holy weapons more of an ability than one specific item. I will make a small list to show how this could work.

1) Perhaps the quest could be reworked to allow a weapon of your choice to be enchanted/blessed (pick whatever word you like here) with the possibility of being wielded as a holy weapon. This quest would then leave you with a weapon that was always ready to receive holy power.

2) Currently if you bring your weapon down to no holy power left it ceases to be a holy weapon at all. With the new weapon style it wouldnt matter if all of its holy charge were drained because the whole point is that the weapon is now a holy vessel capable of receiving and delivering holy power.

3) Allow paladins the ability to infuse their weapon to give it holy power. Based off of our soul power. Bad soul means no holy power. This is the ability aspect. Instead of relying entirely on shrines to recharge the weapon, give Paladins the ability to do this when they need it. I dont see paladins as being able to infuse a holy weapon with quite as much power as can be found in a shrine, but you cant expect a paladin to stop hunting undead because his weapon is getting low. Infusion would not replace shrines, it would be more of an assurance that if you have a pristine soul you can use some of your own holy power to infuse your weapon. Also, things like full Chadatru favor orbs could be another possible way to recharge the holy power of a weapon. Perhaps create a new glyph to allow a favor orb to be used to recharge a weapon.

So in short. Holy weapons become holy power vessels not just regular weapons with an enchantment. More ways to recharge a weapon. Shrines and favor orbs giving the most benefit and in the field infusion available for when you really need those extra swings.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 07:54 AM CDT
I had a few ideas of my own for the holy weapon...

"Then Sir Arthur looked on the sword, and liked it passing well. Whether liketh you better, said Merlin, the sword or the
scabbard? Me liketh better the sword, said Arthur. Ye are more unwise, said Merlin, for the scabbard is worth ten of the swords,
for whiles ye have the scabbard upon you, ye shall never lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded; therefore keep well the
scabbard always with you." - Le Morte D'Arthur

One of my suggestion was for the addition of a holy scabbard to the holy weapon quest. This scabbard serves two purposes. First, the weapon is bonded to the scabbard so that if the weapon ever leaves the paladin's hands (whether he drops it, dies, is tingled... anything), it sheathes itself, thereby eliminating the fear of losing one's holy weapon forever. Even if the scabbard is not bonded to the paladin itself, how often does someone take off their scabbards? The only concern left is someone trying to steal the scabbard while the paladin is dead so maybe the scabbard at least needs that "You're not my owner! ZAP!" feature.

The second function of the scabbard is mimic its predecessor. Whether on command or as a permanent ability (I favor permanent ability but we have to worry about the other guilds), the scabbard slows down or stops altogether the loss of blood. I'm guessing the code from the Blood Staunch and the new enchantment system could be adapted to achieve that effect. Basically, the scabbard endeavors to protect its wearer and help the paladin do his job of defending the people by cutting back on that annoying blood loss so that he can stand and fight for longer.

On to the weapon itself!

First, remove the entire "if your holy weapon loses all its power, its a normal weapon forever" bit. This is a gift from the gods to the paladin. Somehow, I doubt the gods are so weak that their power is that fleeting or so petty that they make it so that the paladin is punished for using his gift to defend the people. That would be like saying if you ever run out of harness, you can never cast spells again. Huh? Why bother then?

Instead, I propose the holy weapons be perma-blessed (Yes, /permanent./ Hey, we are a holy guild too)and that the holy weapon glyph put power on top of the bless that affects all evil creatures (I still think we need universal soul state). In combat against non-unded, you just get the infusion power. In combat with undead, you get bless + infusion for much merriment. Better yet, since the weapon is permablessed, if the paladin is locked in combat and his holy weapon drains, he can continue to use it to smite those undead that all the gods hate so much. Undead is an affront to the gods and we are the swords and shields of the gods so... Yay! Smite those undead!

As a slight ammendment to FrieDR2003's suggestion, if the weapon is drained of all its holy power, the paladin has the option of tracing the glyph when he is not at a recharge site to feed the weapon his soul power pool. Not his soulstate but his power pool since doing the will of the gods is not an evil act. Then, in a dire situation, he can keep on fighting. To end the power pool feed, he just needs to sheath his holy weapon in the holy scabbard.

End result? You have a weapon paladins can use without fear of losing (thanks to the bonded scabbard), paladins can use without fear of destroying (thanks to no longer being un-holy if drained), that is always useful (thanks to permabless), that adapts to a tough situation (thanks to the power pool feed), and helps with our 'defender of the realms' status (thanks to the scabbard's blood staunch letting us fight against all odds!).
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 08:00 AM CDT
And about the Blood Staunch ability of the scabbard and empaths:

I don't see a problem with guild territory here for one simple reason: Empaths don't learn based on how much you bleed. They learn based on how grevious the wound is. We all can tend wounds without empaths losing their value so how is this different? The wound is still there and you will still need herbs or an empath to fix the wound. The scabbard just addresses a side effect to keep the paladin defending people for longer.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 10:02 AM CDT
While a "holy scabbard" might make sense for those of us who have a sword as their holy weapon, there are several Paladins with axes, maces, and various other nasty weapons that were never designed to fit into a scabbard.

Additionally, I think the Arthurian reference is just a bit too much. Understand that I graduated with a specialization in Middle English Lit, so I might just be able to catch the reference way too easily, but it seems to me that we might want to do something that's not taken directly from the Round Table.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 10:13 AM CDT
Holy container? You have to put it somewhere, don't you? And with a strap, it returns itself to your shoulder?

I did quote the reference so I think anyone can see it. I just brought up Arthur since there are people who see him as the epitome of knighthood (though I assume that since you specialized in the literature you know better) so I brought it up to help justify its addition. If he had it, its good enough for us, right?

There really is nothing original left under the sun. You could have holy armor that staunched blood and/or helped protect against attacks (Minor Physical Protection?) but people change their armor. Not everyone uses shields. Everyone uses some sort of container for their weapons though so I think that is a pretty good bet. If a quote from Le Morte D'Arthur is what strikes me... oh well.

One could argue the holy sword idea came from Excalibur.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 10:16 AM CDT
<<One could argue the holy sword idea came from Excalibur.>>

Perhaps. However, Excalibur just so happens to be a sword that's sharp enough to cut through stone, whereas a Holy Weapon hits harder, can strike spirits, and roars out in a god's name.

Honestly, I'm not trying to poke too many holes in your theory. I'm just curious--if someone makes their backpack holy, would it still hold everything it ordinarily does?

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 10:23 AM CDT
Poke away. :) Its only through revealing and reviewing flaws can we hope to improve.

As for a holy backpack... I am tempted to say 'yes.' The backpack is not miraculously shrinking so that it no longer holds items. As an RP choice, I would not store anything else in my holy scabbard but, in DR, containers work a bit differently. You normally never put multiple weapons in the same scabbard, much less in a soft container like a backpack, but you do in DR. So, for ease of play and to avoid restricting players needlessly, I vote for letting holy containers hold other items.

If not... weapon harnesses hold axes and maces, right? Then straps for polearms and scabbards/sheaths for the rest.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 11:18 AM CDT
Ive always thought it would be nice to have a backworn scabbard. This way the swords pommel rides above your shoulder. And as for a Holy container, theres no reason why after completeing the quest you couldnt offer up your own belt, strap,sheath, etc to the gods, have them do their god thing to it, and now it the holy saccbard idea that was presented. This way regardless of what weapon you choose, you will be able to choose an appropriate container to hold it in. This container could be offered for sacrifice much in the same way a favor orb is, only it gets blessed or what have you to become the mate for the holy weapon.

Konnor

"This may be a Fantasy world, but it sure isnt UTOPIA." - Konnor
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 11:27 AM CDT
Precisely. You choose which container they use.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 01:47 PM CDT
Keep the ideas coming. I'll save my comments for later so I don't hijack the thread. ;)

/salute

-Ssra
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 06/09/2004 02:24 PM CDT
I've never found anything besides a backpack yet (thats not old quest/invasion related and hard/expensive to find) That holds my imperial war hammer. I havn't tried every container in the realms though, so I'm open to suggestions.
Suggestions on changes to Holy Weapon. 11/09/2004 07:59 PM CST
1. Most Important: Get rid of one-time-only clause.
2. Set it up so that its power is not only attributed to Chadatru. Allow fluff messaging for all 13 gods.
3. Allow altars that are designated as favor altars to also be useful as recharge points with the additional ability to switch the weapon fluff messaging from one god to another.
4. Re-evaluate the bond on the weapon. Currently, the idea behind any bond on any item is that it cannot be taken away from the owner, and hence that is why mechanics are in place to either return said item to the owner's hands and/or prevent other people from picking it up. There are however mechanics that conflict with the concept, such as the ability for certain creatures to snatch up weapons, or sometimes snatch weapons right out of someone's hands. Elba Darvagers and Vykathi Reapers are among the most notorious of these critters, although Vykathi Reapers have the added ability of being able to snatch your weapon out of your hand and destroy it all in one message. Scary, huh?
5. After fixing some of the buggy parts of the quest, allow for the quest area to be used as hunting grounds.
6. Add some non-combat fluff verbs to the weapons. Example: pray <weapon> >You grip your <weapon> tightly as you concentrate on the wonder of <name of the god that the weapon is currently attributed to>.
7. Integrate Pilgrim Badges and Holy Weapons in some way so that you can increase the power of the holy weapon by pilgrimaging.
8. I don't know why this happens to be eighth in the list (probably cause i'm just thinking these up as I type) but actually fix the quest so that people who aren't currently already past a certain part of it are the only ones that can complete the quest.
9. Allow for non-combat uses of Holy Weapon. Such uses might include certain small bonuses depending on which of the 13 the weapon is attributed to. Eluned = bonus in swimming. Meraud = Bonus in magic. Damaris = Bonus in evasion. Everild = Bonus in the weapon skill of the weapon. Kertigen = Bonus in appraisal or perhaps a social stat like charisma. Hodierna = bonus in FA and foraging or Vitality. Faenella = extra bonus against undead (Faenella is known to especially hate undead) or bonus to musical skills or a bonus to resisting certain enchantes. Chadatru = bonus to perception and parry. Again, I'm suggesting just small bonuses.
10. Consider seeing about releasing the fixed HW quest through an event involving Maelshyve.
11. Give me money.

__
"Faireft Therengia Rul'd by a
fornicating Haggis-eating Slubberdegullion--"

Vidumavi points at you.
>nod vid
You nod to Vidumavi.
Re: Suggestions on changes to Holy Weapon. 11/09/2004 08:45 PM CST
11. Only if you let me switch holy weapons down the road :)
Holy Weapon suggestion 12/13/2004 08:43 PM CST
I don't know if its already a feature since i don't have a holy weapon yet, but it would make sense to make the weapon permanently bonded to the paladin during the quest. It would eliminate a lot of problems with the one time only thing.
Ederick
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 12/14/2004 02:11 AM CST
I don't think it is auto-bonded, but it would give you a good reason to get the bond weapon spell.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 12/14/2004 07:12 AM CST
Its semi bonded in the fact others get a stun if they try to pick it up, but doesn't return to your hand.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 12/14/2004 08:20 AM CST
<<I don't know if its already a feature since i don't have a holy weapon yet, but it would make sense to make the weapon permanently bonded to the paladin during the quest. It would eliminate a lot of problems with the one time only thing.>>

As soon as I get approval for the next batch of holy weapon upgrades I"ll let you know what's up.

I will say the bond on holy weapons will be improving by leaps and bounds.

/salute

-Ssra
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 12/15/2004 06:30 AM CST
Good to hear big guy, having you in our corner is a real moral boost.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 01/05/2005 03:11 AM CST
That gives me something to look forward to when I get up there ;)
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 01/07/2005 01:02 AM CST
Good to hear Ssra, that will help, but bonding is only half the battle. I was one of the few that did try to use my holy weapon from time to time and I loved it. But like so many people fear, I actually did lose my holy weapon some time back. We're all human, prone to typos and temporary insanity, and it seems a bit harsh for something so important with so much potential to be lost in a heartbeat. If you're going to leave the one time only thing in, maybe allow those of us who actually did lose our weapon before the new bonding was put in place have a second chance? There can't be tooo many people who actually got their holy weapon and lost it. I know its a long shot, but once you get the bonding fixed up it should make losing the holy weapon much less likely.
thanks,
Sir Khadgarian
Re: Holy Weapon suggestion 01/07/2005 09:24 AM CST
>Good to hear Ssra, that will help, but bonding is only half the battle.

Yup, I'm willing to use my mumble-plat shield with my empath because yes, while it would be nearly impossible to ever replace, well, it is replacable. Same with his armor, although that's protected by being altered. (As long as the janitor doesn't get it, eventually, he'll be able to retrieve it no matter who gets their grubby little hands on it.) Holy weapon, no, not until its replacable. Don't care how hard it is to replace, up to and including having to buy a special one time only boat to go out past the farthest islands, strangle sky giants with my bare hands and swim through lava ... not impossible.

What I don't get is why our holy weapon is irreplacable, particularly due to OOG mechanics. I'm sorry. IG punishments for OOG mechanics bug me, although they're the real goad of DR. Until this is fixed, I don't care what circle my paladin reaches, he will not touch the quest. Its that simple. It is a shame too, becuase it could be such a useful, fun system. The massive restriction of having to go to what is it, two special altars in the whole realms is plenty to keep holy weapon from running all over clerical toes. Most of us hunt with multiple weapons anyways.

I'd love for holy weapon to work like blesses, except with two restrictions 1) as long as your holy weapon still exists, you can't use another on the renewal altars and 2) well, you have to renew it on one of the renewal altars. Then it would be fun and playable. Right now my paladin uses a Aldauth Scythe-blade for his ME. Its really cool, the looks he gets actually hunting at circle with that thing. I'd love to turn it into his holy weapon, when it comes time, just because it suits him so well. However, right now, because of the restrictions, that would mean he couldn't use it for everyday hunting ever again, particularly against undead. (I also hate the 'you drain it, its permanantly drained.' That's just wrong.) No, it ruins the whole point of the thing and makes it unplayable.

The reason I say it can't exist anymore, is also so someone doesn't use 'upgrade' their super-duper kertig blade with the only slightly more super-duper just a shade better kertiger blade ... unless they want to melt down the first one, give it to the janitor or somehow get it broken/stolen, such as by a Vykathi.
Holy Weapons not working? 07/30/2005 10:45 AM CDT
My holy weapon seems not to be working this morning. It was the usual silver sparks yesterday. I thought it might be due for a recharge, but I got the "not the correct weapon" message.

Anyone else having issues or is this my own little problem?

Snail
Re: Holy Weapons not working? 08/01/2005 12:15 PM CDT
I haven't heard of this one. How many times have you tried? I'll ask the obvious as well... do you have any other weapons that you might have used on accident? Were there any in the room by any remote chance?

~Maece

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?" ~Rex Kwan Do~
Re: Holy Weapons not working? 08/01/2005 09:48 PM CDT
My Holy Weapon is missing, give it back Maece!

Re: Holy Weapons not working? 08/02/2005 03:42 PM CDT
Hi, Maece.

Well I've experimented with several options, nothing seems to work. The darn thing seems to have suddenly stopped being a holy weapon.

If you remember, this forged claymore never glowed right from the beginning. So, it might be bugged. Snail is out on Mer'Kresh and M'Riss, these days.

Would you mind taking a peek at it, Maece? Thanks so much!

Snail
Holy Weapons and the new swap changes 08/02/2005 08:35 PM CDT
with the new changes rolling in on the bastard swords and whatnot will holy weapons be able to be made out of them?

~Larze

~I hate sand~
Re: Holy Weapons and the new swap changes 08/04/2005 01:16 PM CDT
Guess nobody knows about this?

~Larze

~I hate sand~