Re: Holy Weapons and the new swap changes 08/04/2005 08:35 PM CDT
I just tried and it would not allow me to make my Kertig Bastie into a Holy Weapon.

DeLiber Oppresso-Hedeon
House Hedeon

'The man who must brag for himself knows that no one else will.' -Robin Hobb
Re: Holy Weapons and the new swap changes 08/04/2005 09:08 PM CDT
alright thanks for the info.

~Larze

~I hate sand~
Multiple Holy Weapons 08/06/2005 09:08 PM CDT
Is it possible for us to run the quest more than once and get two or three Holy Weapons?

DeLiber Oppresso-Hedeon
House Hedeon

'The man who must brag for himself knows that no one else will.' -Robin Hobb
Re: Multiple Holy Weapons 08/07/2005 09:27 AM CDT
Nope. Not at present, anyway. Although a number of paladins have refused to go on the Holy Weapon quest because, among other things, they have no chance of replacing their weapon if they should lose it for whatever reason.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Multiple Holy Weapons 08/07/2005 11:23 AM CDT
>Although a number of paladins have refused to go on the Holy Weapon quest

Not so much refuse, as much as don't want to deal with all the well documented [and rumored to change] hassles.

If it changes to a more user-friendly system, I bet all of us would get them.
Re: Multiple Holy Weapons 08/07/2005 04:57 PM CDT
also dont forget the re-evaluation of weapons and armor that ssra is/will be doing...

~Larze

~I hate sand~
Autoglyphing and Holy Weapons 08/08/2005 04:12 AM CDT
Just curious... does the auto-bond ability work if you die while wielding holy weapon? One of the reasons I never bothered to get it (aside from lack of time) was the fact that no one could pick it up for you and it's easy to lose.

Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia
Re: Autoglyphing and Holy Weapons 08/08/2005 07:27 AM CDT
I'm assuming yes here Calemnon. It's a very nice security blankeet if you die in a remote place knowing you will still have your weapon in your hand regardless.

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Drive fast, take risks.
Re: Autoglyphing and Holy Weapons 08/08/2005 10:28 AM CDT
>>Just curious... does the auto-bond ability work if you die while wielding holy weapon? One of the reasons I never bothered to get it (aside from lack of time) was the fact that no one could pick it up for you and it's easy to lose.

No man, but it works on EVERYTHING else:D

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/11/2005 01:25 AM CDT
I've been thinking for awhile my reasons for not going on the holy weapon quest... aside from being in Iraq and thus unable to play, of course.

Then it occurred to me... The current "holy weapon" is not what I have in mind when I think of a holy sword.

A paladin's Holy Weapon should be his primary weapon. It should be the first weapon he draws when confronted by adversity. A paladin should have no fear to draw his holy weapon when attacked by ANY kind of opponent.

A holy weapon should be a paladin's best friend when confronted by a non-undead creature. When attacked by other players, a paladin should be able to draw his holy sword with confidence rather than having to switch to some other weapon. A paladin should be able to slice through undead by the dozens without worrying about having to recharge his weapon.

A holy weapon should not rot in a vault until a time when the paladin decided to bring it out because he's fighting undead.

A holy weapon should be a paladin's ULTIMATE weapon. Useful against ANY opponent, and better than ANY other weapon in the paladin's arsenol.

Paladins are severely underpowered when it comes to offensive power. The holy weapon should be the counter for this severe weakness.

Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/11/2005 10:04 AM CDT
Well spoken, Calemnon!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/11/2005 02:26 PM CDT

<<A holy weapon should be a paladin's ULTIMATE weapon. Useful against ANY opponent, and better than ANY other weapon in the paladin's arsenol.

<<Paladins are severely underpowered when it comes to offensive power. The holy weapon should be the counter for this severe weakness.

<<Cavalier Calemnon, Knight of Therengia

Totally in agreement. Have you seen how Gemstone did paladins as a side note? How they do their holy weapon? Talk about being worthy of the profession, it very well done. Something more along the lines of what i'd like to see in DR.

RW
"Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women have a more subtle instinct: What they like is to be a man's last romance. " Oscar Wilde
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/11/2005 06:09 PM CDT
Calemnon,

Excellent Post. Fully agree with every point.

Let me just add. Everything you said,I said to the Paladin Team GM's at Simucon.

Their response. :"We want Paladins to WANT to get their holy weapons out of their vault and use them. We WANT to give Paladins a reason to reach for their Holy Weapon first."

Wouldn't give specifics except to mention thinking about the "auto-ward/auto-glyph" thing as a first step so we wouldn't be as worried about losing them.

They then mentioned working on the "recharge" thing so you could wear off all the power without losing the ability to recharge.

Bonuses to the use/attack/effectiveness of Holy Weapons were mentioned but it appeared that was further down the road.

Bottom line: I think when they get done "tweaking" holy weapons, we'll see more and more paladins wielding them as their primary weapon again.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/11/2005 06:40 PM CDT
I also agree with your post 100% Cale

<<Bottom line: I think when they get done "tweaking" holy weapons, we'll see more and more paladins wielding them as their primary weapon again.>>

I hope for this Red, however in my mind the only way this will even become true in any sense of the sentiment is if these weapons can be used on all opponents, not just on non-player critters.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/12/2005 12:33 AM CDT
>>however in my mind the only way this will even become true in any sense of the sentiment is if these weapons can be used on all opponents, not just on non-player critters.

A very valid point of view. Nothing was mentioned one way or the other at Simucon so all I can say is... present yer case and hope they see it your way and make the changes.

For Red, I'm not sure it feels "in character" for him to whip out his Holy Weapon to deal a chastisement to a citizen, deserved or not. But, that's more of a Red's character viewpoint, not mine. I'm personally fine either way it goes.

Redarch
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/12/2005 11:24 AM CDT
Some ideas to make holy weapons the primary weapon that they should be:

Unlimited charges
Increased damage appraisals
Usable against ALL opponents
Increased SMITE damage
The ability to change which weapon is your holy weapon (in case you find a better weapon in the future that is more fitting for your primary weapon)
Increased ability to LEAD while drawn, perhaps

Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/12/2005 01:18 PM CDT
G'day,

Just a quick response.

>Unlimited charges
Probably not, but we hope to make recharging a bit easier, or at least give more places you can recharge. And of course making it so if you do run out of charges you don't lose the holy weapon all together.

>Increased damage appraisals
Probably not, if by this you mean generally higher puncture/slice/impact stats.

>Usable against ALL opponents
Not sure how I feel about this one, but I won't dismiss the possibility out of hand.

>Increased SMITE damage
This one I kind of like. <makes a note to follow up with the appropriate folks>

>The ability to change which weapon is your holy weapon (in case you find a better weapon in the future that is more fitting for your primary weapon)
This is something I'd like to see down the road a ways. Probably not for folks who are just able to get the Holy Weapon, but for folks of higher circle, I can see this as a possibility.

>Increased ability to LEAD while drawn, perhaps
This one I kind of like as well. <makes another note>

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"You are like a mouse arguing with an owl. You think the owl is wrong, he thinks you are dinner."

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/Galleries.htm
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/12/2005 06:47 PM CDT
On recharging
How about let recharging be done in the field, but to a more limited degree. As a restriction, recharging the weapon would completely exhaust your soul pool. The effectiveness of the recharge would be based entirely on the size of the soul pool (and how much was remaining when the RENEW glyph was traced).

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/12/2005 07:07 PM CDT
>>How about let recharging be done in the field, but to a more limited degree.

As a follow on to your idea of using the soul pool in the field to "recharge".. the thought occured to me, how about a way to join with a cleric and get a bit larger recharge in the field, but using both the cleric's mana and the paladin's soul pool? Give it a slightly larger recharge if joined.

Not replacing or taking away the ability to recharge it solo.. but adding another level? Some way to use the clerical bless in conjunction with the paladin "renew"? Don't know about the feasibility, but thought the idea deserved at least tossing out there.

Obviously going to the "official" recharge would get max recharge. Cleric + Paladin gives medium recharge. Paladin alone in the field gives.. slightly smaller recharge by only using some of the soul pool?

Redarch
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 08/14/2005 08:53 AM CDT
The trend as I see if tends to be moving towards not restricting the use of paladin abilities against players.

I figure... if SF can be used against other people, why shouldn't holy weapon be able to as well?

Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 12/20/2005 07:10 PM CST
Hey Godrich,
Any more consideration given to being able to replace a holy weapon if it is lost/stolen or whatever? I am not advocating for Paladins to be able to have multiple holy weapons at wonce, but merely for the opportunity to get a new one with severe restrictions, maybe through a more difficult quest or only once every 20 circles.
Hopefully one of only a few who have lost their holy weapon,
Khadgarian
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 12/21/2005 06:56 AM CST
I ain't trying to be insensitive to you loosin your weapon, but how it happen? I'm curious.

~Silus
A gentleman and a scholar
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 12/21/2005 07:41 PM CST
I was switching out of my armor and regular gear to get ready for Galain's 100th circle celebration. While moving the sheath with my holy weapon in it, I accidently left out a "my" and put it in someone else's backpack which was sitting on the ground. By the time I noticed the mistake, the backpack was gone. You can be sure that I don't forget "my" any more
Re: Holy Weapon - A Paladin's Primary Weapon 12/22/2005 04:44 AM CST
...And that is exactly why I'm not a fan of one time deals, sorry to hear that.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Holy Weapon Renewal 01/06/2006 08:21 PM CST
Am i just mistaken, or cant we renew the weapon anywhere now?

Re: Holy Weapon Renewal 01/06/2006 11:12 PM CST
>>Am i just mistaken, or cant we renew the weapon anywhere now?

You are mistaken. You're still limited to the special sites.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.mistletoebeltbuckle.com
Re: Holy Weapon Renewal 01/07/2006 10:30 AM CST
>>Am i just mistaken, or cant we renew the weapon anywhere now?

The change you are thinking of is the new ability to "recharge" a fully emptied holy weapon now. We couldn't before. Now we can, but at the cost of a significant portion of our soul pool to do so.

As for "renewing", ie. refilling a holy weapon that is LOW on power, that must still be done at one of the existing Glyph of Renewal spots.

Redarch
Holy Weapon recharge in Therengia 12/15/2006 10:56 PM CST
I am sure this has been asked for many times. But I am curious if its actually ever coming or not?

We really need a place to renew holy weapons in Therengia. I dont care if its in haven or theren, but one in the province really makes sense. Particularly therenborough, arguably the most paladin centric city in DR. The Chapel to Chadatru in the keep seems an ideal location for a renew site, I was actually suprised when I found it was not one and crossing is the closest renew location.

Can we get any comment from DR on if this is planned in anyway? If you say "no, not something we are planning on" thats fine, but I would like to know.
Re: Holy Weapon recharge in Therengia 12/21/2006 03:17 PM CST
Yes, it will be coming out one day. In the chapel? Probably not. Right now we've had major bugs sharing this feature in a place that does something already (Eye of Chadatru) and we are still finalizing our fix for this.

~Maece

The great state of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"

~Thank You for Smoking~
Re: Holy Weapon recharge in Therengia 12/21/2006 05:46 PM CST
Jerid, there were two interesting possibilities alluded to in Oane's lectures -- the first ever guildhall in Therenborough that was burned down and the Rutilor towers that were built around Elanthia. Perhaps one or the other will be unearthed sometime in the future, or perhaps there'll be a completely different place to get them recharged.

~Thilan
Holy Weapon Power? and some other ideas 05/31/2007 10:23 PM CDT
I've heard that the power of your holy weapon is somehow based off of your circle and charisma at the time you complete the quest and is then fixed, so it would be unwise to get your holy weapon right at 50th circle. I was wondering if this was still the case, as it is the only thing that would keep me from going out and getting mine right now.

If this is still the case, why not change it to where it is able to grow with the paladin, maybe when you trace the glyph of renewal at an altar it takes your current circle/charisma into account? I would also love the idea of the weapon increasing in power through use, some kind of undead/evil kill counter.

While I'm thinking of crazy suggestions, how about a magical way for storing the holy weapon such as a chadatru ring that you can just tap and your weapon pops into your hand ready to go.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Holy Weapon Power? and some other ideas 06/01/2007 08:19 AM CDT
I'm not sure how much or if the POWER of the weapon changes, but the number of strikes is very much based of Charisma. I didn't get it at 50th, started the quest, but never did the last part till 61st, but once I got it, it was quite potent. Not much help for the theory of useability at 50th though, sorry.

With the auto-bond ability and the quest to get a new one, our Holy Weapons are no longer fancy dust-gatherers in the vaults, but something I suggest carrying for that rainy day. Nothing tickles me more then watching the barbs and warmies do a panicy search for a cleric while I stomp all the hafwas with my HW.

Samsaren
Re: Holy Weapon Power? and some other ideas 06/01/2007 07:37 PM CDT
>>Nothing tickles me more then watching the barbs and warmies do a panicy search for a cleric while I stomp all the hafwas with my HW.

And THAT right there is why I carry a fully powered up Holy Weapon on me for those sudden undead attacks. LOVE it.

Redarch
Holy Weapon suggestions? 01/27/2008 07:13 AM CST
I'm about to complete the Holy Weapon quest and my Paladin is 2HE primary. I have two weapons I'm considering for this and would like some input from those of you who have completed this quest or are more familiar with it than I am.

Weapon Choice 1:

wield slaugh

You draw out your Warlord's slaughtersword from the claymore sheath.
[P]>l slaugh

Crafted to enhance every minute advantage within the heat of battle, the Warlord's slaughtersword exists an unspoken testament to the skill of its master. Dual saw toothed blades angle outward in a narrow V from the crossguard, their surfaces etched with a maze of razor-edged blood grooves. Twisted bloodwood, masterfully shaped in the appearance of a tangled mass of writhing spirits, curves outward from the base of the monstrous blades to form the hilt.

appr my slaugh careful

This weapon is as sturdy and strong as any true Kaldaran warrior. The proportions are perfect, and the dimensions are ideal.
A twin-bladed Kaldaran Warlord's slaughtersword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.
You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
heavy impact damage
You are certain that the slaughtersword is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the Warlord's slaughtersword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.
The Warlord's slaughtersword is made with metal.
You are certain that the Warlord's slaughtersword weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the Warlord's slaughtersword is worth exactly 550000 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

and yes, my paladin is a Kaldar.

Weapon Choice 2:

appr my sword careful

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage
You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage
You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the bastard sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.
The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 10000 lirums.

I personally would like to use the Kaldaran Warlord's Slaughtersword, but I'm not sure if that would be possible as it's a unique weapon. The bastie is forged and I think it would work ok as well. Any input would be welcome, thanks.

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestions? 01/27/2008 07:24 AM CST
I'm looking at getting my Holy Weapon soon and am in the same predicament. The thing is, if you use your absolutely best weapon, you'll end up not using it as often because you'd have to recharge it so much. I'm working on getting 2HB up to where my main weapons are and would love to use 2HB for a holy weapon, but then I'd have to get another forged mattock so I can actually train the skill without draining the Holy Weapon.

So basically, I can't help you and reading this post was a big waste of your time ;)

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria
"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His words speak only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Holy Weapon suggestions? 01/27/2008 07:33 AM CST
Actually you brought up a point that I hadn't thought of before and that was the need for recharging the weapon every so often. Since I don't hunt undead critters at all, I would more than likely only use the holy weapon during an invasion in which undead critters are running amok, that way I can have it available. I think then, that I'll use the Slaughtersword as a holy weapon, and continue to use the basties as my everyday weapon since I can replace those easily if I need to. Does anyone see a problem with this line of thinking? I'd still like to get some input. Many thanks!

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: Holy Weapon suggestions? 01/27/2008 09:02 AM CST
Just keep in mind that if for some reason down the line you decide you want to switch to a new holy weapon your old one will be destroyed in the process. So if forging 2.0 comes out, and there's an uber 2HE o'doom you'd like to use, you'll have to destroy the slaughtersword.

~Thilan
Re: Holy Weapon suggestions? 01/27/2008 06:28 PM CST
>>Just keep in mind that if for some reason down the line you decide you want to switch to a new holy weapon your old one will be destroyed in the process. So if forging 2.0 comes out, and there's an uber 2HE o'doom you'd like to use, you'll have to destroy the slaughtersword.

To amplify on what Thilan said. You plan to use the Slaughter Sword as the Holy Weapon, should work fine. A Holy Weapon is like a blessed sword in that, it can hit non-corporeal undead. But, it also hits HARDER than a blessed sword.. sort of an "extra oomph" against evil undead. As Thilan said however, once you make the Slaughter Sword the Holy Weapon, you'll never be able to change it to another weapon without destroying the current Holy Weapon.

So long as you understand that potential future problem, I see nothing really to keep you from using the Slaugher as the Holy Weapon and the forged basty as the everyday sword.

Redarch
Lost Holy Weapons 06/10/2008 12:50 PM CDT
I know this topic comes up from time to time and i hate to be the one to bring it up again but here it goes anyway. I am out for such long stretches and have looked back trying to figure out if anything had ever been done but cannot find anything. Are there any plans to release a way to replace a lost holy weapon? For all i know there could be one already.
Re: Lost Holy Weapons 06/10/2008 10:49 PM CDT
>>I am out for such long stretches and have looked back trying to figure out if anything had ever been done but cannot find anything. Are there any plans to release a way to replace a lost holy weapon? For all i know there could be one already.

The last set of changes to the Holy Weapon gave us a way to CHANGE your current Holy Weapon to another one, but NOT a way to replace one that is lost, i.e. a way to "re-do" the Quest if you lose the Holy Weapon which is how I'm reading your question.

Redarch