Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:20 AM CDT
Yanno, I was thinking about all the new magic skills and it got me to thinking:

Why are mages getting special treatment with their grandfathering?

It just occured to me that while Barbs are getting magic requirements brought up to their circle, mages are getting some of the new magical skills grandfathered based off of their other magic skills. I was looking at Tropicalo's grandfathered magic skills based off of his public(read: public!) drsales post from years ago and I noticed some things that were a bit crazy:

Elemental Magic: 1595 11% clear (0/34)
Harness Ability: 1612 46% clear (0/34) Power Perceive: 1368 62% clear (0/34)
Arcana: 1072 87% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 1533 80% clear (0/34)

Based off of Leilond's calculator, he is set to gain
1063 ranks of Augmentation
1251 ranks of Dehibilitation
1066 ranks of Utility
1282 ranks of Warding

So hes losing his 1612 Harness and hes gaining 4 new 1000+ skills from that? Hes also gaining tdps from this conversion - from his 6500 tdps from harness to his new 6850 tdps from his new magic skills(calculated at the secondary skill rate).
So I'm getting my supernatural skills brought up to my level(370 being the highest) but hes getting his new magic skills brought up to scale with his current magic skills? He is basically getting his magic skills grandfathered to circle 217. That sounds a bit redunkulous to me - why aren't MUs getting their magic skills brought up to level(in his case, 150th) like say, Barbarians? This isn't just a guild vs guild thing here either. It seems rather unfair imo.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:36 AM CDT
Wow... That does seem a little outrageous and extremely one sided.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:39 AM CDT
This doesn't make sense to me on any level, actually.

I'm getting penalized for overtraining my primary skillset, right?

But mages are benefitting from it? Huh?

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:52 AM CDT
>>It just occured to me that while Barbs are getting magic requirements brought up to their circle, mages are getting some of the new magical skills grandfathered based off of their other magic skills.

1) You don't HAVE any primary magic skills you've been training. If you'd rather, I could base it off your PM, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't rather.
2) Your magic requirements are tertiary, not primary

>>This isn't just a guild vs guild thing here either. It seems rather unfair imo.

It's actually a magic thing. Barbarians are getting magic grandfathered to at-circle because there is no way to gauge how many times you've danced or roared. Magic users are getting their one skill that's always gated their magic abilities spread out into four new ones.

>>I'm getting penalized for overtraining my primary skillset, right?

Um. I'm pretty sure you aren't...

>>Tropicalo's grandfathered magic skills

If you want a reasonable discussion you shouldn't use the single most unreasonable character's skills as your baseline.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:43 AM CDT
>If you want a reasonable discussion you shouldn't use the single most unreasonable character's skills as your baseline.

Wait, it's not Codiax?

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:51 AM CDT
Ok, I got ya here. Trop's insane.

So I got on the dr profile page and looked up 150th mms - only one is listed : Vaeyrin

Lunar Magic: 1248 11% clear (0/34)
Harness Ability: 1247 46% clear (0/34) Power Perceive: 1094 62% clear (0/34)
Arcana: 718 87% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 815 80% clear (0/34)

Now this is a pretty lopsided character here, so its not even a very good example - but crunching the numbers:

832 Augmentation
823 Dehibilitation
786 Utility
998 Warding

So, from what she lost in Harness for tdps to what she gained in the 4 new magic skills, shes set to lose 154 tdps.

However,

We're only talking about the secondary learning rate here(1/2 of the current tdp formula)

I didn't say anything about Trop's main skills in relation to the NEW primary learning rate(2x). That is the realm of insanity. Trop gains 11,976 tdps from magic alone along with 4 brand spankin new 1000+ skills primary skills to train.

Back to Vaeyrin,

Now shes set to gain 6,680 tdps from her magic skills. 3.0 turns her 13,736 tdps from magic ranks, adds 4 new skills near or above 800,
and adds almost 7000 brand new new tdps to put her at 20,416. This doesn't seem fair to me at all.

So, what we can take away from these numbers is that she is set to gain at least 3737 tdps just from the brand new magic skills.

>>Um. I'm pretty sure you aren't...

I'm not actually losing them, they're just being given back to the game. I should get that straight. The game is taking back 3,625 tdps from my weapon skillset because I bothered to train most of my primary skills. Also, my primary skillset is going on a huge diet -

I'm set to lose 3,625 tdps compared to the current formula from my weapon ranks. Thats with 14 weapons over 500. I over-trained my primary skillset and I'm being penalized for it. Call it whatever you please, but the numbers say -3,625. Those skills are also going on a major diet - I'm going from 14 500+ weapons to 10. Whats up with that?

So the game is taking back 3,625 of the tdps it lent me and 4 of my 500 rank weapon skills?

While pretty much every magic primary guild in the game who trained their magic skills haphazardly are set to greatly benefit; they're gaining ranks and tdps.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 04:23 AM CDT
It's definitely true that magic users are getting more TDPs out of the conversion than barbarians are. Magic users also won't benefit from what will seem like an eternity of double experience gains like most barbarians will in their primary skillset. It's not a perfect system where everybody's happy, and the transition is going to be a little painful for everybody in their own way. It also sets the stage for a much more balanced world going forward, which is a substantially more valuable outcome.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 06:01 AM CDT
Keep in mind the GMs are also re-working the magic conversion formulas and the one in that spreadsheet is the last proposed one with hard calculations. I'm not sure what the new formulas will look like but keep your eyes peeled for red name posts.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 07:45 AM CDT
Gorteous, I am not going to say I disagree with everything you wrote. However, since these are the barbarian folders, I'll adress our barbly side of things. We have been given ample time to adjust our training, knowing which weapons were being combined and which were not. Why you chose to continue to train those weapons that are combining is your business. The only issue is, you knew continuing to do so would cause a tremendous TDP hit in your TDP pool for weapons. It's not necessarily bad, mind you. I mean, we do learn at a primary rate. But you set yourself up to experience slower gains in weapons compared to someone who stopped training combining weapons. As things stand, according to Leilond's sheet, I am gaining roughly 4500 TDPs. The reason I mention this is not to rub it in your face, but to show a barbarian can prep him/herself to make nice gains, seeing as how open the GMs have been about forthcoming changes. We've known for what, a year and a half now?

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 08:06 AM CDT
>>Wait, it's not Codiax?

Haha no I think he meant the person with the highest TDP generating skills (highest skills)

I win the award for most TDP debt.

>>Barbarians are getting magic grandfathered to at-circle because there is no way to gauge how many times you've danced or roared.

It is true there is no way to truly know the exact number, but you guys chose the absolute minimum. There is other metrics than just circle. I am 100% positvie I would have 1k+ inner fire at this point. Yet I won't even get the maximum 370.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 08:12 AM CDT
>from what she lost in Harness for tdps to what she gained in the 4 new magic skills

Honestly, the fact that you've used the wrong skill for the conversion in both of your posts makes me think you don't understand the change, let alone the reasons behind it. It's PM not Harness. Harness is combining with PP.

If they only grandfathered Augmentation/Debilitation/Utility/Warding to minimum circle requirements, most magic users would only end up with zero to two* of them with any ranks, the rest would be trained from zero. It would be like telling Barbarians that they get no grandfathering in Augmentation/Debilitation/Warding. The loss of capability to use existing abilities would be crippling.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer

*I get zero to two from the fact that Tertiaries only have three Magic requirements, so Atunement, Arcana, and TM would be grandfathered up to their reqs. Everyone else except MM need five magics, so Atunement, Arcana, and TM are three of them and two of the new ones are grandfathered up to circle requirements (potentially hundreds of ranks less ability in casting those spells).
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 08:53 AM CDT
<<Honestly, the fact that you've used the wrong skill for the conversion in both of your posts makes me think you don't understand the change, let alone the reasons behind it.

No, he's on the money. It is pretty outrageous, too.

Socharis: while we're on this, the argument forever has been that Barbarians are "fine" compared to to magic users when it comes to hunting at-level, even though Barbarians are typically a dozen or more circles behind their magic-using compatriots when hunting "at-level," primarily because they gained more TDPs on average (or dances were OP, whichever argument you want to ply) which meant their statistics tended to "keep up." Glancing over their new requirements it looks like they'll still be getting that advantage in circles (and thus roughly 1000 TDPs the Barbarian won't) and their skill situation has been "fixed" to the point where they have almost as many skills to train.

Of course, the uneven playing field has been there, tilted one way or another depending on how you want to argue its sides, since forever. But now that the attempt is being made to even it all out, I'm curious how that final piece of the puzzle is going to be addressed.

I guess it should be illustrated with raw numbers, so, assuming you train roughly to requirements for your circle, a Cleric will be hunting in (south barricade) celpeze at around 110th to 115th circle. At those circles a Barbarian has likely already transitioned to dillos. Incidentally the new WM requirements still provide a slight advantage in the critical 70-100 circle range where they'll be able to transition to more dangerous critters slightly slower. It's somehow even more absurd with Moonies, but very few of them are training just to their circle requirements.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 08:56 AM CDT
I'm just gonna say I didn't change how I train one bit and I'm still well into the positive on tdps when the change takes over. Without adding in supernatural tdps, the calculator had me pretty well over 4000 tdps gained. I'm more worried with how they are going to grandfather the post 150 people more than anything but they said they are going to address that so I'll wait to see how they handle that.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:05 AM CDT
When they first announced the changes, I was at about +1000 TDPs.

Since the revisions, I am at about +1000 TDPs.

I am fine with this.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:17 AM CDT
>No, he's on the money. It is pretty outrageous, too.

That was a very well supported arguement right there. Thanks for participating.

>Incidentally the new WM requirements still provide a slight advantage in the critical 70-100 circle range where they'll be able to transition to more dangerous critters slightly slower.

Considering WM have the highest weapon requirement of everybody except you guys... I don't see your point here. More likely, WMs will be slowed down trying to keep their defenses high enough not to die instantly where ever they go.

>assuming you train roughly to requirements for your circle

I haven't really looked closely at most of the requirements, but I can tell you for sure no WM will be training just to requirements. At 70th circle (the start of your "critical" range), they would have 110 in their primary survival (which would hopefully be Evasion). So they'd be dead almost instantly anywhere they can train their 270 primary weapon or 280 TM.

>At those circles a Barbarian has likely already transitioned to dillos

Really? Now if we're assuming minimum requirements for Barbarians as well... At 115th you're going into Dillos with 315 Evasion. Good luck.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:23 AM CDT
You're comparing apples to oranges Leet. A barbarian has a different skillset than a warrior mage or any other guild. A barbarian's skillset is more tailored to combat and the barbarian will gain combat skills much faster, and will climb the creature ladder much faster. Of course the barbarian will(typically) have less tdps than a member of another guild within the same hunting ground. And the barbarian will usually be of a much lower circle.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:33 AM CDT
<<I haven't really looked closely at most of the requirements, but I can tell you for sure no WM will be training just to requirements. At 70th circle (the start of your "critical" range), they would have 110 in their primary survival (which would hopefully be Evasion). So they'd be dead almost instantly anywhere they can train their 270 primary weapon or 280 TM.

<<Really? Now if we're assuming minimum requirements for Barbarians as well... At 115th you're going into Dillos with 315 Evasion. Good luck.

Actually, the Evasion requirement at 115th will be 510 ranks, which as has been mentioned is almost incidental.

Since it wasn't my intention to be pedantic I didn't explain how "training to requirements" would typically be construed. I see my error.

When a Barbarian "trains to requirements" it means he is seeking ways to get and keep his weapons skills moving because they are, almost without fail, the only requirement on his radar. Similarly, for magic primary guilds the struggle is to keep magic moving as often as possible because those are the requirements most likely to trip them up.

Secondarily to that, Barbarians have Survival and Armor which, as has been mentioned, increase incidentally to Weapons so they don't really pop up on the radar. Magic guilds have Lore and Weapons (let's ignore Moonies for this discussion as they're an odd duck and only handicap the argument in my favor) as their secondaries and has been demonstrated Lore is going to be completely field-trainable in 3.0 with the exception of the crafting skills (meaning they may not be as popular for circling purposes with guilds with stringent hunting requirements). But I digress. Magic primary guilds will often find themselves weighed down by their Weapons requirements as well, primarily because the throttle has always been with Weapons and not with Magic, as an artifact of Magic being trainable basically anywhere.

So, any clearer on what's what?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:35 AM CDT
<<You're comparing apples to oranges Leet. A barbarian has a different skillset than a warrior mage or any other guild. A barbarian's skillset is more tailored to combat and the barbarian will gain combat skills much faster, and will climb the creature ladder much faster. Of course the barbarian will(typically) have less tdps than a member of another guild within the same hunting ground. And the barbarian will usually be of a much lower circle.

Exactly my point. The 3.0 changes were supposed to throw everyone onto a more or less even playing field but the one complaint -- the longest-standing complaint, at that -- has not been at all addressed. The only real saving grace is that the requirements changes themselves didn't exacerbate it, but the extension of the Magic skillset has (intentionally or otherwise) done the job just as well.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:48 AM CDT
>the Evasion requirement at 115th will be 510 ranks, which as has been mentioned is almost incidental.

Yes, I missed the Evasion hard req. Sorry about that.

>I didn't explain how "training to requirements" would typically be construed.

I don't know if this is how most people read it, but I certainly read it as the minimum to level.

>The 3.0 changes were supposed to throw everyone onto a more or less even playing field but the one complaint -- the longest-standing complaint, at that -- has not been at all addressed.

I'm not sure how you want this to be solved. You think everybody should be required to train weapons at the same rate as Barbarians? That's the only way other guilds won't be entering a training ground at a higher circle than you.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:59 AM CDT
By virtue of skillset differences I don't think it's possible to balance it, not without giving one guild an incredibly hard circling requirement and the other a free pass.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 10:05 AM CDT
>By virtue of skillset differences I don't think it's possible to balance it, not without giving one guild an incredibly hard circling requirement and the other a free pass.

This is kind of my point. Until they get rid of different learning rates and TDPs from circle, it's not possible to balance. Since neither of those things are planning to happen ever... It's not going to be balanced.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 12:34 PM CDT
<<By virtue of skillset differences I don't think it's possible to balance it, not without giving one guild an incredibly hard circling requirement and the other a free pass.

Not for every guild, certainly. But the primary offenders have and look likely to continue to be the magic primary guilds. To some extent they have inflicted a more serious combat requirement on all of them, but it still falls pretty shy. The solution would have been to adjust Barbarian circling requirements so it's "less of more" rather than "more of less."
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:05 PM CDT
>>So I'm getting my supernatural skills brought up to my level(370 being the highest) but hes getting his new magic skills brought up to scale with his current magic skills? He is basically getting his magic skills grandfathered to circle 217.

There's a functional metric for magic users that GMs can work off of. In other words, they can tabulate the time invested in them training magic. Based on that, they can extrapolate a result of what it would possibliy be like if those people were training under the new system instead. As an example, under the new system I'd probably train by casting a utility, then an augmentation, then a warding, etc, as opposed to just casting the same spell over and over.

Barbarians, on the other hand, have no metric. That's just the way it is. So they have to fall back onto the option more often used: which is making their skills get grandfathered to at-circle levels. This is how all "new" skills will work when they lack another metric to work from. It will work this way for Clerics and Theurgy, War Mages and Summoning (or whatever it is called now), Paladins and Endurance, etc.

>>That sounds a bit redunkulous to me - why aren't MUs getting their magic skills brought up to level(in his case, 150th) like say, Barbarians? This isn't just a guild vs guild thing here either. It seems rather unfair imo.

If I remember correctly, GMs are currently researching how to properly grandfather for characters that have hit the 150th point and been there for awhile, as well. So if your concern is that a circle 150 Barbarian with 1500+ in weapons is going to be stuck with the dancing and roaring abilities of someone who just hit 150th right before the conversion, the GMs are aware of this being a problem and are looking into what they can do to make sure your abilities are on "circle" post-150th.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:24 PM CDT
>>There's a functional metric for magic users that GMs can work off of. In other words, they can tabulate the time invested in them training magic. Based on that, they can extrapolate a result of what it would possibliy be like if those people were training under the new system instead. As an example, under the new system I'd probably train by casting a utility, then an augmentation, then a warding, etc, as opposed to just casting the same spell over and over.<<

There's a basic metric, sure, but it's not infallible. What if a cleric never used a self buff and instead trained PM just casting Energy Bolt over and over again? If you say that "Well that's silly they'd buff themselves to go hunt" I'd just counter "Wouldn't barbarians?"
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:26 PM CDT
I will try to outline how I think the GMs are viewing the situation.

Much akin to when Paladin/Rangers were moved to the Targeted Magic skill model... there were many players who claimed, "We would have been casting those spells all along." Obviously, they had been casting those spells, but there was no quantifiable way to judge who had and who hadn't been casting the spell, and furthermore how much experience that would have actually equated to. Unfortunately in their case, they were required to start from 0 ranks.

Barbarians are in a similar boat now. Again, the GMs have no quantifiable way to judge who has and who hasn't been berserking the right berserks, roaring the right roars and dancing the right dances in order to train all of the respective magic skills, nor what that would have actually equated to in terms of absorption, etc. As such, they have agreed to give you enough free ranks in the magic skills to meet your current circle. This is already more than what was done for Paladins/Rangers. To give you even more free ranks to accomodate what you could have potentially gained had you been "using those abilities all along" is probably not something they wish to, or even can provide.

Again these are not my feelings -- I'm just trying to see it potentially from the GMs' eyes.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 01:51 PM CDT
>>There's a basic metric, sure, but it's not infallible. What if a cleric never used a self buff and instead trained PM just casting Energy Bolt over and over again?

It functions to the point where you can transfer the work done doing X to the work that could theoretically do Y.

I am sure, without a doubt, that if GMs were capable of knowing that you cast EASE 226,753 times, BOLT 63,235 times, and MAF 12 times, they'd give magic ranks based on that knowledge. But they instead are going as far as they can based on the data they can gather. They have a metric that shows "this person cast magic" and go from there. Is it a better metric than circle? Yes, which is why they're using it.

>>If you say that "Well that's silly they'd buff themselves to go hunt" I'd just counter "Wouldn't barbarians?"

And, if there was a way to gauge that metric at a better scale than circle, I'm sure the GMs would be using it. But there isn't, so they can't.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:27 PM CDT
>> Why you chose to continue to train those weapons that are combining is your business.

I'm just pointing out the double standard here - I knew what I was getting into from the start.
Pendus's request got shot down for requesting people who are higher than 150th get their magic grandfathered to their circle - when MUs are clearly enjoying that gain in 3.0

Personally, I'm probably one of the only people on here absolutely thrilled about the skill combine.

>> continuing to do so would cause a tremendous TDP hit in your TDP pool for weapons.
I'm not getting a tremendous hit in TDPs - after the magic grandfathering, I only have to work off about 1900 TDPs worth of debt.

I never neglected to train my primary combats in lieu of secondary weapons.

>> show a barbarian can prep him/herself to make nice gains

Socharis basically confirmed what I've thought all along about how the combine to going to work - hard work does indeed pay off! :-D

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:43 PM CDT
I've totally been playing a glorified commoner for the last 12 years. I was hoping that someday I could reap the benefits of skills I never bothered to use(dances, berserks, roars) in the form of grandfathered skill ranks - but as time passed, they became wise to my plans for magic domination and now everything is ruined! My aspirations have been torn asunder, alas!

You're basically saying that because they can't prove in the numbers game that I've danced 12 billion times and roared 16 billion in the past 12 years, its the equivilant of them not having any data to go off of? Wow.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:44 PM CDT
<<What if a cleric never used a self buff and instead trained PM just casting Energy Bolt over and over again? If you say that "Well that's silly they'd buff themselves to go hunt" I'd just counter "Wouldn't barbarians?">>

actually, as someone who plays a wm and a barb who are 10 circles apart, but they fight the same critters, and the barb has better skills even though she's the one that's lower circle - I tend not to "buff" either one - to me that's fighting at level. If and when I DO buff, its to try something thats slightly over my skill. But then, I'm trying to catch up the WM in both shield and Parry to where he is in evasion & tm. And the barbarian has higher evasion than primary weapon because i train so many weapons with her. Not just for Tdps, but to be able to get on the ranked boards for the guild.

To me, my concept of a well=trained barbarian is someone who can pick up any weapon and slaughter something with it.

The problem with the grandfathered skills in "inner fire", etc, to me, is we don't know exactly How many ranks it will take to be effective with those skills.

So I will compare it with another guild that has "supernatural" - or what used to be magic - tertiary. Namely paladins <i've trained that guild more than rangers, and we don't know how things will work with thieves/traders yet>.

The skills "required" for that guild in magic are pretty much a joke. If you actually tried to use a TM spell on a critter at level with only the ranks that the guild requires, you would fail. Drastically. As someone who is working now to backtrain my paladins TM, i know whereof i speak. <and yes, I have more than the minimum req'd>. So giving barbarians only minimal ranks - if more will be needed in order to properly fuel the dances, forms, berserks, etc. Will end up killing people who rely on them at rank for combat.

So again, that is the elephant in the room. We don't know how many ranks it will take to be effective.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 02:54 PM CDT
>>Pendus's request got shot down for requesting people who are higher than 150th get their magic grandfathered to their circle

I am pretty sure I saw GMs say that they're looking into what they can do when it comes to grandfathering things for the 150+ crowd, mainly because they recognize that someone might be, comparative to their other skills, hundreds of ranks behind on something once they're finally able to go from 150-151, and it would be unfair to have them play catch-up.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 03:06 PM CDT
>I am pretty sure I saw GMs say that they're looking into what they can do when it comes to grandfathering things for the 150+ crowd

I definitely remember seeing this as well. Socharis said don't ask because we don't have an answer yet, or something to that effect. They are working on it. Now, if he said give us a bajillion ranks if we're 150, I can see that getting shot down. But they are trying to differentiate between someone who got to 150th a decade ago and kept training and someone who got to 150th thirty seconds before they flip the 3.0 switch.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 03:26 PM CDT
Gorteous brings up a great point, and I can see where the GMs are coming from. I don't think you can compare the whole TM fiasco with Rangers/Paladins because TM was not a requirement for the guild to actually function. TM didn't buff them, nor was it used as a central focus of those guilds. Barbarians on the other hand are fueled by berserks, dances, and roars. This is why they are being grandfathered in the first place: without grandfathering we won't be able to use ANY ability not even to minimum effectiveness. Without the TM grandfathering Rangers/Paladins could still buff themselves and cast a variety of spells, just not the damage dealing stat-based onces that were converted to TM (still waiting on Horde, plz :D).

That settles that. Now onto the other piece. Now, the GMs are following the only real metric they have available to them, and that is through circle requirements. I'm actually ok with that. There is absolutely no way to figure out just how much skill each individual Barbarian would have in these new skills, whereas the basic metric is already set for mages. That is where GMs are coming from.

Now, that metric is not perfect by any standards, and this is where Gorteous is coming from. Barbarians spend much time in combat (which could mean that all of their new skills could actually be grandfathered relative to their primary combats). I do understand that tertiaries are not expected to be as high as combats, but it does seem a little odd that (augmentation, for example) buffing skill requirements would only be at 370 for 150th, when the primary weapon req is 860. As an example, if a WM has 860 TM, then one of their combat tertiaries (evasion) won't be at 370. Maybe 600, maybe less, but 370 is way off.

Again, we can't measure how much each Barbarian would have used their abilities. But I do it could be re-considered given the fact that Barbarian abilities are centered around combat and it's hard to see even a tert skill being at 370 for a 150th Barbarian using his/her abilities.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 04:37 PM CDT
>>It functions to the point where you can transfer the work done doing X to the work that could theoretically do Y.<<

>>I am sure, without a doubt, that if GMs were capable of knowing that you cast EASE 226,753 times, BOLT 63,235 times, and MAF 12 times, they'd give magic ranks based on that knowledge. But they instead are going as far as they can based on the data they can gather. They have a metric that shows "this person cast magic" and go from there. Is it a better metric than circle? Yes, which is why they're using it.<<

I know they can't. My point is that MUs would be crying up a storm if their magic was grandfathered to their circle and not based on anything else(I'm ignoring the 150+ debate because no one knows how that'll play out yet). I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would have used all of my abilities from day one if they were training skills like they will after 3.0. And judging from the lore skill that's the highest, also tert for me, my supernatural skills would all be comparable to that.

>>And, if there was a way to gauge that metric at a better scale than circle, I'm sure the GMs would be using it. But there isn't, so they can't.<<

The way I'd do it is average out the two highest lores for barbarians and base it off that or based off your circle reqs, whichever is higher. Why would I do that? Lore is also tert, there's a couple that are trainable while hunting so it would be comparable to training my supernatural skills which would be done fairly passively. I'd not have a huge issue with it, except for the fact that now our magic resistance will be based on our warding, which will be much lower than a player/creature's "at level" skill for their supernatural skills.

This is hypothetical. Let's take creature X that has 800 ranks of debilitation skill and I'm grandfathered to circle and have 370 ranks of warding. Unless the contest is heavily skewed in warding's favor, do you think I'm going to have a shot in hell of resisting the supernatural attacks? I don't. Now let's average my top two lores, that comes out to roughly 730 ranks. 800 vs 730 is a lot closer and I'd probably be able to resist a majority of the attacks or at least reduce potency a great deal.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 04:54 PM CDT
The power behind my barbarian abilities matter to me. Hunting matters to me. Smithing matters to me.

Top skill with a primary learning rate Twohanded Edged: 910
Top skill with tertiary learning rate Mechanical Lore: 800

I am a dancing barbarian. When I hunt I dance something (dragon, badger, swan, panther (hiding) or eagle(ranged). When I forge (old style) I danced bear to pound and panther to grind. When I forge new style I dance bear. BACK TO BACK TO BACK. When origami orgami I dance panther and use the 18 boost in agility to fold much higher that I normally would. I used to have people do my first fold for me so I could do this. When I mine I dance bear or dragon. Basiclly if I am not learning down somewhere, I am dancing.

So here is a metric to use in grandfathering our magic skills. Avarage the mech lore of the top 5 forgers (cause the tert lore skill is as important to them as magic would be to them and a hunting barb), compare that to the average of their circle and use that for the metric for grandfathering our tertiary magic skill.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 05:03 PM CDT
>>By virtue of skillset differences I don't think it's possible to balance it, not without giving one guild an incredibly hard circling requirement and the other a free pass.

This is basically the issue. Magic and weapons have trained in wildly different fashions in the past. While this is getting better in M3 (You can't get better at debilitating without actually debilitating something), the last sixteen years or so have put us into a pretty dramatically weird situation.

>>There's a basic metric, sure, but it's not infallible.

Correct, but it's the best we have.

>>I am sure, without a doubt, that if GMs were capable of knowing that you cast EASE 226,753 times, BOLT 63,235 times, and MAF 12 times, they'd give magic ranks based on that knowledge

I would kill for this kind of information, for magic or anything else.

>>I am pretty sure I saw GMs say that they're looking into what they can do when it comes to grandfathering things for the 150+ crowd

Correct

>>I know they can't. My point is that MUs would be crying up a storm if their magic was grandfathered to their circle and not based on anything else

I totally get that. If I had any metric similar to PM to say "Pendus rages all the time", believe me I'd be using it.

>>The way I'd do it is average out the two highest lores for barbarians and base it off that or based off your circle reqs, whichever is higher

Yes, but this is even more dramatically inaccurate than grandfathering to-circle. It puts a chart-reading grass-braider as a barbarian who's raged far more than one who's spent most of his life on the battlefield.

Also, as noted in the EXP folder, I'm going on vacation for a week with limited internets. Don't mistake my slow responses for a lack of caring.

--

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 05:09 PM CDT
>Magic primary guilds will often find themselves weighed down by their Weapons requirements as well, primarily because the throttle has always been with Weapons and not with Magic, as an artifact of Magic being trainable basically anywhere.

No, the throttle is tert armor limiting Secondary weapons (and TM).

See: Combat MM with 515 defenses, 535 TM, yet 1000+ PM/Harness and 800+ Arcana/PP. It literally learns about 4 TM to 1 Shield given full pulse sizes (worse, actually, since TM sometimes is drained out while shield is still ticking). If it was a WM/Cleric I'd add in weapons limitations. Terts are just that damned bad.

A Barb is not constrained by slow combat terts like ever other guild except Rangers (and arguably Traders, since is could be debated that killing is optional when you don't have weapon requirements). That means they fly up the ladder, and their circle reqs are quickly met by combat, unlike everyone else, who have to "weave" combat in and out with higher non-combat priorities. If there was a 150th Barb and a 150th mage with identical combat skills (offensive and defensive), I'd greatly fear the mage more, because they would have truly awesome non-combat (and magic) skills. Because they would HAVE to have trained considerably longer (twice as long? 3 times? 4? More? Leilond posted some interesting numbers in Exp System folder, and that being new Exp, not old)

You're railing against just how the game IS.

>By virtue of skillset differences I don't think it's possible to balance it, not without giving one guild an incredibly hard circling requirement and the other a free pass.

Min and max circle cap hunting grounds. Which is never going to happen, the uproar would be crazy.

>Not for every guild, certainly. But the primary offenders have and look likely to continue to be the magic primary guilds.

I still think you should look to Rangers for the "most TDP crown" you seem to be looking for, not the common magic primes. Everything Barbs get (just switch some weapon at primary with some survivals at primary), plus they can work magic too.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 05:47 PM CDT
>>I still think you should look to Rangers for the "most TDP crown" you seem to be looking for, not the common magic primes. Everything Barbs get (just switch some weapon at primary with some survivals at primary), plus they can work magic too.

If you wanna talk about the magic tert Ranger with the most TDPs in prime who sits in combat the entire time hes IG:

His PM is over 1100

That gives him enough PM for... circle 500 or something.

If he had his magic ranks grandfathered for his REAL circle, He'd probably have 500ish tops.

If for 150th, that would put him at ?370 PM?

VERY VERY bad example of how 'fair' magic tert grandfathering is for barbs.

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 06:05 PM CDT
>>The way I'd do it is average out the two highest lores for barbarians and base it off that or based off your circle reqs, whichever is higher

>>Yes, but this is even more dramatically inaccurate than grandfathering to-circle. It puts a chart-reading grass-braider as a barbarian who's raged far more than one who's spent most of his life on the battlefield.

Understandable, though I suspect that the chart-reading grass-braiding Barbarians are a fairly rare breed, haha. At least I'd hope so.

Would you consider perhaps grandfathering our ranks as a percentage of our highest weapon skill, or maybe a percentage of our top 4 weapons averaged..? Something along those lines? Seems that would be the best gauge as to how much time each individual Barbarian has spent raging on the battlefields, and would certainly leave most of us with a better base for our abilities than we're currently looking at.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 06:07 PM CDT
<<Yes, but this is even more dramatically inaccurate than grandfathering to-circle. It puts a chart-reading grass-braider as a barbarian who's raged far more than one who's spent most of his life on the battlefield.

Are you sure about that? I've never made any particular effort to train my lore skills yet my average lore skill is 394. (Average of my top two lores is 525, for reference, which is probably about where they would be if I had had them at 1st circle.) Perhaps that average Lore skill is the best possible qualifier? Better than "to circle requirement" anyway.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 06:32 PM CDT
I just think that the circle requirement for combat-related skills for a Barb should be more than 370, even if tertiary. I do get the feeling that the amount of ranks a Barb would be grandfathered was considered before what the circle requirement for those particular skills should be. And so it was set low to 370 ranks.

What will be even more interesting to see is how bad the scaling issue will be with these new skills. If a 150th Barbarian will be just as effective with their abilities (as promised) as they are now, I guarantee you'll have sub-100th Barbarians becoming incredible ability users since it wouldn't take long for them to hit 370 ranks (even as a tertiary) at all. The new skills won't be scaled properly up to even 1000 ranks if the standard is set at 370 ranks for a 150th Barb. I do believe the circle requirement needs to be upped higher, but then it seems like the GMs don't want to grandfather 500-600+ ranks.

At any rate, I do think Barbs are gonna turn out great and I can't wait to see it. This is an interesting issue and I do think everything will be better off in the long-term (as far as scaling and such) if the circle req is upped and grandfathered accordingly. For one, not every Barb is 150th. And two, mages understandably benefit when having their skills grandfathered so it won't look so bad in the end.

So that's my suggestion, raise the circle reqs for the new skills that Barbs will need for scaling purposes.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4