Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 06:58 PM CDT
>>I totally get that. If I had any metric similar to PM to say "Pendus rages all the time", believe me I'd be using it.

Yeah, but if "raging" taught a skill, everyone would rage all the time in combat even if they didn't need to, to defeat their opponent right?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/20/2012 09:16 PM CDT
As a tangent, after mulling them over, I really do think the supernatural requirements need to be higher. Inner Fire requirements should mirror Warrior Mage armor requirements, not Ranger magic, and 1st and 2nd supernatural need to be bumped up a bit.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 07:20 AM CDT
>>I am sure, without a doubt, that if GMs were capable of knowing that you cast EASE 226,753 times, BOLT 63,235 times, and MAF 12 times, they'd give magic ranks based on that knowledge

I would kill for this kind of information, for magic or anything else.

I'm pretty sure someone in TF could put a counter into a genie-type script for 1 day. then just multiply it out.

:-)

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 09:17 AM CDT
>I'm pretty sure someone in TF could put a counter into a genie-type script for 1 day. then just multiply it out.

Not really even remotely accurate for even the most gross data mining. It's just too different, almost to the point of no contact.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 09:52 AM CDT
>>I totally get that. If I had any metric similar to PM to say "Pendus rages all the time", believe me I'd be using it.<<

I'd wager that 99% of all barbarians hunting are using some form of buff.

>>Yes, but this is even more dramatically inaccurate than grandfathering to-circle. It puts a chart-reading grass-braider as a barbarian who's raged far more than one who's spent most of his life on the battlefield.<<

I don't think it is since it's quite easy to train at least two lores in combat.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 10:17 AM CDT
And, as I posted before, I dance panther to fold origami and bear or panther to forge. If dancing/berserking/meditating taught a skill I would be doing it while I learned down instead of just sitting quietly.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 10:34 AM CDT
Same here Magdar. Its funny because I have been using either Eagle or Badger all the time in the past years. I can dance both back to back forever so I would keep them up virtually forever whenever I'm not hunting. There's no reason not to, especially with the pvp I've been involved in.

I don't think everything has been set in stone yet so hopefully it turns out a bit better for us.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 10:58 AM CDT
<<I don't think everything has been set in stone yet so hopefully it turns out a bit better for us.

Yeah, the more I ponder it the more I think Lore average might be that winning compromise. If anyone else would like to share so the non-GMs get an idea of what that particular data point might look like across Barbarians that would probably help.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 10:59 AM CDT

I wonder if it's possible to determine how long a barbarian has known each dance, and then to augment the experience based on that time. Those who knew the dances or circled earlier would get more experience. It would be better if you could further augment this by play hours post learning. It's not perfect, may not even be possible, but it would give a differentiation between a new 150 and a 150 for 5 years.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 11:03 AM CDT
>>It's not perfect, may not even be possible, but it would give a differentiation between a new 150 and a 150 for 5 years.

The problem using that metric is that someone with a Barbarian who hit 150th and then got shelved so they could focus on their new Bard would have the same amount of skill grandfathered as someone who proactively played their Barbarian even after hitting 150.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 11:08 AM CDT

>> The problem using that metric is that someone with a Barbarian who hit 150th and then got shelved so they could focus on their new Bard would have the same amount of skill grandfathered as someone who proactively played their Barbarian even after hitting 150.

This could be resolved by further augmenting by hours played. If that metric is even stored.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 11:20 AM CDT
<<This could be resolved by further augmenting by hours played. If that metric is even stored.

God if DR had /played I would have quit again.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 11:53 AM CDT
Want to go on the record that 370 is pretty low compared to 860 weapon
The amount of time in combat to gain those ranks (especially based on how slow things move after 600) makes 370 pretty unrealistic.

That being said, 370 is better than 0

I just hope Theifs get the same treatment when khri is re examined
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:24 PM CDT
Scholarship: 695 96% intrigued (16/34) Mechanical Lore: 801 45% nearly locked (33/34)
Appraisal: 628 87% clear (0/34) Teaching: 293 80% clear (0/34)
Animal Lore: 46 15% clear (0/34) Percussions: 21 31% clear (0/34)
Strings: 25 99% clear (0/34) Winds: 17 77% clear (0/34)
Vocals: 660 72% nearly locked (33/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 3186
Lore Average: 354 Skills Included: 9.

I would prefer the top 3 maybe? Or even top 4.

______
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:27 PM CDT
>>I would prefer the top 3 maybe? Or even top 4.

Oh come on, now you're just gaming the system because you want 600 ranks of IF.

I could see the argument for not including all three instrument skills in the average, but you should at least include the highest. You should also probably throw out Vocals completely, as much as I am sure everyone (myself included) would love to see that count towards IF average.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:29 PM CDT

Lore average isn't a good idea. There are a lot of barbs who don't give two poos about lore
Just because you over achieve on your lore doesn't mean that everyone did

There has to be a better way
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:35 PM CDT
I don't give a crap about my lores either, they just move while I'm hunting for extra tdps. And since they are our other tertiary skill set, we can make a solid guess as to what our supernatural skills would have been.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:42 PM CDT
If they told me 2 years ago that playing musical instruments, teaching and fishing would be part of what my inner fire is based on, I would go have spent hours.. er NO, I probably would not would you? I point to my mech lore skill (801) as an example of how a motivated barbarian can move a tert skill. And suggest it as a basis for grandfathering another tert skill set, SPIRIT, since EVERY barbarian would be motivated to work that tert skill set or re roll into another guild.

______
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:48 PM CDT
>>If they told me 2 years ago that playing musical instruments, teaching and fishing would be part of what my inner fire is based on, I would go have spent hours.. er NO, I probably would not would you? I point to my mech lore skill (801) as an example of how a motivated barbarian can move a tert skill. And suggest it as a basis for grandfathering another tert skill set, SPIRIT, since EVERY barbarian would be motivated to work that tert skill set or re roll into another guild.

How do you quantify spirit? Do your have more spirit then me since you forged more then me? Do I have more spirit then you because I play an instrument and you don't? Do I have more spirit cause my teaching is higher? Do you have more cause you're also a master scholar? Etc. etc. etc.

Honestly, we all use Bear for swimming and Cobra for backtraining and Panther for origami, but the place we are using our abilities most of the time is combat. What's the best indicator of that? Combat ranks, which correlate directly with circle for barbarians.

If you're arguing the reqs should be higher and thus the grandfathering higher, I agree, otherwise I'm not sure lore makes any more sense then perception or escaping or foraging.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:49 PM CDT
So why not something easy like a flat 50% of your primary weapon skill? This would scale all the way up much easier for 150th+ characters and put us all in a better position with our abilities while not unbalancing anything terribly.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 12:56 PM CDT
I am arguing that 801 mech lore at 158th circle equiv could be a yard stick for ALL BARBARIANS. The point is not that I should have more than you. The point is a motivated barbarian can move a tertiary skill to 2 or 3 times the 370 proposed and suggested myself and other forging barbarians be used as a guide on how high these new tert. skills should be set.

______
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:05 PM CDT
Tweaking the requirements in my spreadsheet to look like...

Reqs for... 1-10 11-30 31-70 71-100 101-150
1st Weapon 4 5 6 6 6
Modified 1st Magic 2 2 3 3 3
2nd Magic 0 0 2 2 3

...Yielded a similar result to the 50% of your top weapon suggestion.

Magic reqs starting at 2 ranks per circle for Barbarians isn't unprecidented, as that is what the 2nd magic requirement starts as. So at 150th you would need 860 1st weapon and 420 1st Magic. IMO this might be a bit more reasonable.

Obviously the people over 150th are a different case all together.

Also...

>>I am arguing that 801 mech lore at 158th circle equiv could be a yard stick for ALL BARBARIANS.

Heh, what if you took an entire year off from combat to get those ranks, and you just now got to 150th because you haven't been in combat 24/7? :P

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:14 PM CDT
>NO, I probably would not would you? I point to my mech lore skill (801) as an example of....

Get pyra;drop pyra is such a difficult and time consuming process to master. I have no idea how you managed it! Might want to choose a less free ranks skill. Like humming.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:22 PM CDT
>>Heh, what if you took an entire year off from combat to get those ranks, and you just now got to 150th because you haven't been in combat 24/7? :P<<

I'd counter that with what if the supernatural skillset was already there when we started playing 10+ years ago? My top lore, which is trainable in combat, is 130+ ranks higher than Magdar's mech. Wouldn't that be similar to what would happen if I was dancing, berserking and roaring the entire time I've hunted?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:28 PM CDT
That's actually no different Pendus. I could just as easily say you've been training that skill out of combat too.

The point is, not everyone is the same, and there's no way to prove it either way.

Anyway, I'm not here to start a fight -- I mostly just wanted to post that table in support of the 50% of weapon ranks suggestion.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:33 PM CDT
The giant disparity is why I think it's out of whack and unbalanced. I hope it gets reconsidered. I'd think IF would be a major factor in your circling, seeing as how it fuels a barbarian. 370 ranks is a joke.

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:34 PM CDT
Interestingly enough, I have NEVER used a pyra to learn mech. I move around too much as I hunted. So my mech is from the forge, brading vines, caving beades, carving divination bones and folding paper. None of which I do in combat. I did use one of those buckets for a short time till they were banned as magic.. I felt and still feel pyrmids are to magic for a barb to use.

Funny hmmm? I should have gone with them and been well over 1000 ranks in mech.

______
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:51 PM CDT
<<I could see the argument for not including all three instrument skills in the average, but you should at least include the highest. You should also probably throw out Vocals completely, as much as I am sure everyone (myself included) would love to see that count towards IF average.

Dropping instruments (including Vocals) would actually raise my average. Like I said, I expend no real effort on training Lore skills (which makes the overachiever comment rather amusing).

My point is that Lore average is a figure available to the staff from which to judge just where a tertiary skill should be at a minimum, which is what grandfathering is about. Providing us the minimum to be "functional."
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:58 PM CDT
>>Anyway, I'm not here to start a fight -- I mostly just wanted to post that table in support of the 50% of weapon ranks suggestion.

Remember, Barbs were promised that their effectiveness in the new system would be equivalent (or close to it) to their effectiveness in the old system. This 50% thing does not address the scaling issue. The simple fact of the matter is, Barbs will need to have a much higher 150th circle requirement than 430 or higher level (and maybe just about all) Barbs will completely stink when using their abilities. Imagine only being able to stack 3 forms and not the 4 forms, 2 zerks, and 1 meditation at 150th, or having them only last 7 minutes each. Or using Wail just once and having your voice destroyed like you just roared 300 times (rough example). Then, having to backtrain hundreds of ranks just to catch up to where you are now even though you're 150th circle.

I can tell you that I've kept excitement of Barbs 3.0 for a long time and will not want to see a scenario like that, and I'm assuming GMs don't want to see a scenario where any Barb will nearly maximize/cap the ability to use their own abilities effectively at just 370-430 ranks. I can't think of any solution that isn't sort of silly right now other than higher circle reqs/grandfathering. This means the scaling has to work well, and I honestly don't think it would be bad to grandfather 600+ ranks (or however much for balanced scaling) to the 150th Barb, seeing as how the WM/MM/Cleric equivalent of that Barb will likely see 900-1000+ ranks of grandfathering to each of their new skills (the ones that are being grandfathered).

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 01:58 PM CDT
Kodius has scaled our skills to ramp up quickly and be effective for a 150th barbarian at 370 value. If the 370 were changed to 800, Kodius would simply change the metric and the skills would be just as effective at 800 for a 150th barb as they were at 370 for a l50th barb. It would just feel better to me. The only real difference would be the number of TDP's we would get for the grandfathering.

It is not worth more of my effort to argue over a few hundred TDP's, so I am done commenting here.

______
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 02:44 PM CDT
>>It is not worth more of my effort to argue over a few hundred TDP's, so I am done commenting here.<<

It's not the TDPs that's the issue, it's that our abilities and magical defenses will be based off those skills. Let's say a new critter is released with a supernatural attack as their special ability. They would either have to be scaled down so barbarians could hunt them without getting maimed by the special thanks to the lack of adequate ranks in warding which would make them very easy for mages, or the contest needs to be skewed heavily in favor of warding, which kinda makes the skill pointless and right back to where we are now with barbs at the high end being damn near immune to magic cast on them.

>>That's actually no different Pendus. I could just as easily say you've been training that skill out of combat too.<<

You could, but I can say that all MUs can and do work all but one magic skill out of combat, yet they are being grandfathered based on PM ranks. Just because someone sat in the empath's guild being taught and cast PFE for hundreds of hours doesn't mean they now can cast a debuff on me. You and I have sparred on more than one occasion and your enchantes still beat my BMR. Take away my BMR and have your enchantes be a pure skill check. Can you see your 1000+ debilitation skill failing against the proposed 370 warding I'd receive? There lies the problem. It would work similarly for PVE.

>>The point is, not everyone is the same, and there's no way to prove it either way.<<

Not everyone is the same, and there's the problem. We're being grandfathered the same way as mages even though we haven't trained like mages ever.

>>Anyway, I'm not here to start a fight -- I mostly just wanted to post that table in support of the 50% of weapon ranks suggestion.<<

I know, and I respect your opinion. I just want to ask your opinion on this. I have not done the math or even looked at the bard magic reqs for 3.0. These numbers are purely hypothetical on my part. Let's say you have 1000 PM right now and your grandfathered to 50% of that for your PM. Now you can't debuff at level critters as effectively as you are now. And possibly not be able to buff yourself as effectively. Wouldn't you have an issue with having to backtrain hundreds of ranks? I know the GMs say we won't lose effectiveness, but is it really fair to make one guild backtrain hundreds of ranks in a tert skill while the other guilds who are MUs get grandfathered to vastly higher ranks because the system that had been in place rewarded standing and doing

prep Spell
charge my cambrinthitem 10
focus my cambrinthitem
cast
repeat

without any real danger to yourself. Yeah I'm asking for it to be based of lore since it is our tert skillset that we can currently train, but at least an average of the top two would be somewhat close to what the number would be if I learned a skill by using my abilities. It'd be lower than what I think I'd have, but it'd be almost double what the proposed system is set up for.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 03:52 PM CDT
>Can you see your 1000+ debilitation skill failing against the proposed 370 warding I'd receive?

It's my understanding that warding is not checked during the defense - it's checked when the defense is created. Is this different for barbarians?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 04:03 PM CDT
>> Can you see your 1000+ debilitation skill failing against the proposed 370 warding I'd receive? There lies the problem. It would work similarly for PVE.

That's not how those types of magic work. every non-TM magic subset that attacks against other player is most likely going to be a "vs stat" type situation.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Magic_3.0_Contested_Spell_Inputs_-_8/7/2010_-_19:27:04

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 04:59 PM CDT
<<I don't give a crap about my lores either, they just move while I'm hunting for extra tdps. And since they are our other tertiary skill set, we can make a solid guess as to what our supernatural skills would have been.

I feel your pain. Determining grandfathering IMO should be matched to the closest skill available. In this instance a formula using your lore skillset seems like the best fit.

Madigan
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 05:50 PM CDT
>>Get pyra;drop pyra is such a difficult and time consuming process to master. I have no idea how you managed it! Might want to choose a less free ranks skill. Like humming.

I'm ALWAYS using a dance in combat.
Pyramids don't work more than half the time IG(no sunlight).
I used Badger exclusively for training from the time I came back in 2010 to the point that MO fizzled out. I'd never enter combat without it on and my script would always redance every time it fell.

I used cobra/wolverine/eagle/dragon for back-training.

If you're trying to compare Mech vs worst case Inner Magic

Don't

Inner fire would be a LOT higher in 99.99% of every case and somewhat higher in the other .0.1%.

I have 728 tert appraisal and I didn't train it for such a long time, its ridiculous. But the whole time I was dancing.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 07:36 PM CDT
You guys can absolutely knock off the snarking to each other.

We're also starting to experience circular arguments. While I understand the issue is important to most of you, and you do need something to compare it to - we're treading very close to guild versus guild as well. So let's just be mindful of this as we make our posts.

Thanks much!

Svafa

_
If you have questions or comments, please email me at MOD-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 07:52 PM CDT
Answering your question Pendus,

>>I know the GMs say we won't lose effectiveness, but is it really fair to make one guild backtrain hundreds of ranks in a tert skill while the other guilds who are MUs get grandfathered to vastly higher ranks because the system that had been in place rewarded standing and doing

This doesn't make sense. If you're not losing effectiveness then what do you need to backtrain? I'm assuming that the "cap" of all of your Barbarian abilities will be front loaded i.e. you get max bonus at maybe say 370 ranks. From there, any additional ranks you accrue serve for things such as duration, or in Debilitating's case maybe how quickly your voice recovers after roaring. I don't know the specifics.

So ultimately, you're not losing effectiveness because you're still getting the max bonus from your dances or whatever. Granted, maybe some of your abilities are getting nerfed so you're not getting as high of a bonus as you get right now, but you'll still be at the "cap" for that ability in the new system.

This is all assumption on my part -- I'm just trying to make sense out of what they've said.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 08:03 PM CDT
>>I'm assuming that the "cap" of all of your Barbarian abilities will be front loaded i.e. you get max bonus at maybe say 370 ranks.

I just assumed they wouldn't want to go this route. But if so, then I'm all for it. Not really fair or balanced but it beats the backtraining alternative. :)

-GM Abasha
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 08:13 PM CDT
>>I'm assuming that the "cap" of all of your Barbarian abilities will be front loaded i.e. you get max bonus at maybe say 370 ranks.

>I just assumed they wouldn't want to go this route. But if so, then I'm all for it. Not really fair or balanced but it beats the backtraining alternative. :)

I believe Kodius mentioned that he set it up so that barbarian abilities gain most of their effectiveness early on. The way it sounded was some sort of logarithmic growth scale, where 90% of the effectiveness comes online very quickly, and additional skill will slooowly get the rest of it. (Made up numbers).
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/21/2012 08:39 PM CDT
Barbarian abilities will have a potency (bonus), duration (time) and integrity (how hard to extinguish). Potency will raise quickly, so by 300 ranks you'd get a near-capped effect. Duration will increase second-highest, so at 300 ranks you'd have things lasting for 15-20 minutes (out of more than an hour for forms). Integrity will take the longest to cap, but is also the least useful outside of certain situations.

*Note that some abilities may raise the integrity of your abilities beyond what is normally possible.

Once we get to a point where we can actually test some of this stuff we'll see if the amount of grandfathering makes sense. Until then I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes