1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/23/2012 08:41 AM CDT
>>You're getting 40% of what exactly?

Every skill I train.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/23/2012 09:56 PM CDT
Here's a thought since we already had a requirement for a tertiary skillset (lore, mech and appraisal). Why not avg those out?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 12:07 PM CDT
There seems to be a lot of conflating "number of ranks" with "efficacy" in this thread. The first priority, as I understand it, is to make post-change performance pretty close to status quo. By arguing for higher grandfather numbers, you're arguing for watered-down ranks. Kodius says you pretty much cap potency by 300 ranks. Would you rather receive 500 ranks grandfathered and it takes 700 to cap potency? I'd wait and see how your abilities perform before you rush to scream for more numbers. If you get the most bang for you buck performance with lower ranks, I think you're lucky. I don't get any special efficacy scaling for my tert weapons.

<<Sure, why don't you go argue that? We aren't getting 80%. I am getting 40%. So maybe you should get 40% since you think it's ok.>>

I would gladly trade the PM transition for 40% instead of 80% if my current efficacy would function at 40% ranks. Maybe it works that way for magic too. Hard to tell without any testing of it at all.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 12:22 PM CDT
<<There seems to be a lot of conflating "number of ranks" with "efficacy" in this thread. The first priority, as I understand it, is to make post-change performance pretty close to status quo. By arguing for higher grandfather numbers, you're arguing for watered-down ranks. Kodius says you pretty much cap potency by 300 ranks. Would you rather receive 500 ranks grandfathered and it takes 700 to cap potency? I'd wait and see how your abilities perform before you rush to scream for more numbers. If you get the most bang for you buck performance with lower ranks, I think you're lucky. I don't get any special efficacy scaling for my tert weapons.

Shell game, man. Cap potency at grandfathered ranks, but duration at a quarter or less of what Barbarians are used to/capable of.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 12:29 PM CDT
Not the biggest barbarian, infact I just never really got into the character and still haven't gotten to circle 10, but fact is:

We were told that skills in general were supposed to have meaning to 2000 ranks, is if they give maximum benefits at 300, that is something I'm well disappointed at.

As far as ranks for where to be grandfathered, I know that some players push their characters to be PvP ready, and ranks or lack of ranks may be the difference in a conflict, but...

For me (and yes I know none of my characters are pushing the circle cap, or even close to top ten ranks in anything so probably don't count for much) as long as these two criteria are meet isn't whatever rank the GMs grandfather good, if for 1 the skill is trainable at your current level, critter, challenge? And 2 if the skill gives benefits as it grows?

What I am trying to say is as long as it works, and continues to be workable, should the number you get really matter?

Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 12:46 PM CDT
<<Shell game, man. Cap potency at grandfathered ranks, but duration at a quarter or less of what Barbarians are used to/capable of.>>

15-20 minutes and capped potency at 300 ranks? How long do capped dances last now?

I have no horse in the race, but if I did, I'd rather have lower grandfathered ranks at equal efficacy than higher grandfathered ranks at the same efficacy, that's all I'm saying. I see it as a good thing that the GMs think current status quo performance can be replicated at 300-400 ranks tert for a barb. I could be totally wrong about post-change performance equaling out to current performance too though. That's a theme I've heard them repeat, but hard to say. Barbs are basically totally rewritten so the comparison might be impossible anyway.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 01:03 PM CDT
Capped durations on forms are 90 minutes IIRC. Ability stacking will go from 3-4 at 300 ranks, to about 7 when capped. 1500 ranks is the cap, not 2000. So yes, you'll still have tons of room for growing in strength along the way.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 01:25 PM CDT
>>Capped durations on forms are 90 minutes IIRC. Ability stacking will go from 3-4 at 300 ranks, to about 7 when capped.

Roughly how many ranks will it take to pull off a stack of 7?

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 01:35 PM CDT
>>if they give maximum benefits at 300, that is something I'm well disappointed at.

They don't give maximum benefits at 300. Kodius said you'll get the majority of the "bonus" to dancing at 300, but then there are other aspects like duration, stability, etc that have requirements that scale much higher.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 01:44 PM CDT
I don't play a barb but I'd have a real problem with a skill that is integral to my combat experience not being grandfathered to ranks comparable to my other combat skills, regardless of what skill set they're in. Just looking at things from a TDP standpoint alone should be reason enough to reconsider the idea of 370 ranks at 150th.

As a WM, I have a few combat skills that are tertiary, at circle 102:

Elemental Magic: 577
Targeted Magic: 455
Multi Opponent: 503
Parry Ability: 500
Evasion: 542
Shield Usage: 507
Heavy Chain: 491

370 ranks grandfathered is a joke considering the above, and hopefully dispels the myth that it's difficult to keep tertiary skills on par with primary and secondary ones.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 01:54 PM CDT
>>...dispels the myth that it's difficult to keep tertiary skills on par with primary and secondary ones.

I'm all for giving Barbarian's a better grandfathering scheme.

But let me tell you, if you're training a Primary and/or Secondary skill seriously(training it as much as your tertiary), there is no way your tertiary skill will keep pace. I have tested the difference in tertiary/secondary/primary learning and the only case where a tertiary is able to keep pace is when you neglect the secondary/primary skills in order to accommodate the much slower learning.

All your skills tell me is that you're either not serious about weapon/tm related training or you're doing it wrong.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 02:07 PM CDT
<<15-20 minutes and capped potency at 300 ranks? How long do capped dances last now?

How fast can you kill stuff?

<<I have no horse in the race, but if I did, I'd rather have lower grandfathered ranks at equal efficacy than higher grandfathered ranks at the same efficacy, that's all I'm saying. I see it as a good thing that the GMs think current status quo performance can be replicated at 300-400 ranks tert for a barb. I could be totally wrong about post-change performance equaling out to current performance too though. That's a theme I've heard them repeat, but hard to say. Barbs are basically totally rewritten so the comparison might be impossible anyway.

Note that it's 15 minutes out of a possible 90. Even without killing anything most Barbarians over 100th can keep a dance going 30-45 minutes.

Like I said it's a shell game. There is no win here. We're just hustling for position here.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 02:32 PM CDT
Just because an ability ends doesn't mean you would be unable to start it back up....

>>There is no win here.

That attitude really doesn't help and will produce the opposite effect of what you intend. I am done contributing to this discussion.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 03:32 PM CDT
>>Capped durations on forms are 90 minutes IIRC. Ability stacking will go from 3-4 at 300 ranks, to about 7 when capped. 1500 ranks is the cap, not 2000. So yes, you'll still have tons of room for growing in strength along the way. <<

And that's my issue problem. If we're grandfathered to circle(still ignoring the 150+ issues), we'd need 1130 ranks of Inner Fire to cap out ability usage. Duration isn't an issue since we can restart it, but the ability cap is. Going from four to seven abilities used is quite a big jump.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 03:35 PM CDT
>>Note that it's 15 minutes out of a possible 90. Even without killing anything most Barbarians over 100th can keep a dance going 30-45 minutes.<<

No, we really can't. The cap on duration is around 20 minutes right now. We can keep restarting it, but the cap is lower.

>>Like I said it's a shell game. There is no win here. We're just hustling for position here.<<

You really need to cut crap like this. It doesn't help anyone and just annoys GMs.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 04:54 PM CDT
>>Capped durations on forms are 90 minutes IIRC. Ability stacking will go from 3-4 at 300 ranks, to about 7 when capped. 1500 ranks is the cap, not 2000. So yes, you'll still have tons of room for growing in strength along the way.

I know you said you're done with this thread, but in hopes of others clearing this up, I wanted to repost this.

So judging by the current reqs (I know it may not be completely final), I'd be able to stack 3-4'ish abilities at 150th circle since I'd have 370 ranks. That means in order to stack 7 abilities, I need close to 1500 ranks in my tert skill? That means backtraining 1100 ranks to perform similarly to how I perform right now?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 06:17 PM CDT
>All your skills tell me is that you're either not serious about weapon/tm related training or you're doing it wrong.

Whether I'm doing it wrong or not isn't relevant to the point I was trying to make. I have 11 weapon skills that I can train on the same critters as I learn TM with, much like a barbarian would typically train. Why then wouldn't a barbarian's tertiary skill that gets trained at the same time as each of their individual weapon skills reflect a similar ratio as my tertiary combat skills like evasion and shield are to my secondary and primary combats?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 07:30 PM CDT
In all honesty I am fine with the 370 ranks if that's what it is going to be. It gives me something to look forward to and train for. However I do think we should be grandfathered to the same duration we have now. Which like Pendus said is 20 minutes.

Here is a question that I didn't really even think of. Currently I can dance dragon back to back forever in combat. I am 117th, so at the ranks I recieve I should be able to have the same capabilities, per what the goals are?

If not, shouldn't the grandfathering be based on circle & stats, not just circle?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 07:44 PM CDT
The more I think about it, stats make way more sense than circles. Abilities were driven by stats, circle really had nothing to do with them except you got X ability at a certain circle. This would also allow for growth past the 150th circle because a person that qualified for 150+ would have more stats than someone that just hit 150.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 07:48 PM CDT
>The more I think about it, stats make way more sense than circles. Abilities were driven by stats, circle really had nothing to do with them except you got X ability at a certain circle. This would also allow for growth past the 150th circle because a person that qualified for 150+ would have more stats than someone that just hit 150.

The problem is you get wierd effects, I'd imagine. Different abilities are driven by different stats. Do you grandfather based on the effectiveness of a given person at dancing? Berserking? Roaring? Roaring effectiveness I could see being split into debilitation, but both berserking and dancing would use the same new skills.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 08:40 PM CDT
>>In all honesty I am fine with the 370 ranks if that's what it is going to be. It gives me something to look forward to and train for.<<

To be fair, I've played for almost 14 years, I don't want to have to train another couple of years to be able to use the maximum set of abilities that I can. I don't mind having a system to grow into duration wise, but should we be forced to have to almost double our 150th primary reqs just to use our maximum number of abilities? Cap a 90 minute form? Ok. Have to "backtrain" for a couple of years to just get to the same number of boosts I can use now with Dragon, not so much.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 08:48 PM CDT
Yeah i am with ya Pendus, I was just saying personally I am "ok" with it. Yes I would rather have more, and I'm definately not thrilled about it.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 10:55 PM CDT

>>There is no win here.

That attitude really doesn't help and will produce the opposite effect of what you intend. I am done contributing to this discussion.>>>>>

Are you kidding kodius? Leej82 is one of the most obnoxious unintelligent posters in the forums please don't take his suggestions/thoughts seriously.

- Buuwl
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/24/2012 11:14 PM CDT
>>I was just saying personally I am "ok" with it.<<

I know. I'm saying I'm not in any way ok with having a system I will have to play catch up in for years.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 11:25 AM CDT
Am I mistaken, or didn't they say that all guild specific skills will be learned at a primary rate? We are talking about Inner Fire here, right?
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 11:55 AM CDT
>We are talking about Inner Fire here, right?

Inner Fire is the name of the Barbarian Ur-Magic skill, which is in the Supernatural (previously Magic) skillset.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 12:09 PM CDT
>>Am I mistaken, or didn't they say that all guild specific skills will be learned at a primary rate? We are talking about Inner Fire here, right? <<

Nope. Guild specific skills are Transference, Thanatology, Endurance and the like. Inner Fire is PM renamed for us.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 12:46 PM CDT
>Inner Fire is the name of the Barbarian Ur-Magic skill, which is in the Supernatural (previously Magic) skillset.

To expand, I believe expertise will be the barb specific skill.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 12:49 PM CDT
>>...all guild specific skills will be learned at a primary rate...

Yes. The Barbarian guild specific skill is Expertise.

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 12:54 PM CDT
Heh, beat me to it Ucu :P

~Leilond
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 02:07 PM CDT
With regards to the expertise skill, this skill is not coming out during the first round of updates/changes correct?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 02:10 PM CDT
>With regards to the expertise skill, this skill is not coming out during the first round of updates/changes correct?

I think it's lumped in with a number of the guild only skills, in that they will not be released or required until there is a substantial method for training them, and the skill itself is well defined and such.

So yep.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Weapon grandfathering vs Magic grandfathering 03/25/2012 03:15 PM CDT
thanks!

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
1 2 4 Next Next_page