Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:37 AM CST
Ok not really a complaint complaint but, here's a paraphrased conversation from another thread:

A: Release it now.
B: Don't release until its near bug free.
C: Almost no one is in test.

Which brings me to my complaint, Who and What should we be testing? I feel like if the staff wants or needs bodies in the instance a lot could be done if someone just said something.

"Get in there and fire off X,Y and Z spells at critters."

"Get in and snipe/poach each other."

I dunno, something... anything to give the test a little focus.

Or even, "Zomg, everyone get into test and do everything you can think of to break anything."

I personally haven't been in test more because I really only play thief and well I don't really see much to test after a few hours played, and no one has really said anything, so I'm just going to assume everything will proceed nicely without me around doing dumb stuff like seeing how many boxes I can fail in a row before I die.

So I guess my complaint is lack of information as to, how is the test going, and what can we do to help be more productive.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:50 AM CST
This is sorta my issue too. Id be happy to dig into specific things but as it is all Im finding are typos and a lot of the stuff Ive reported as bugs Im not even sure gets looked at. So Ive sorta just said meh and went back to training my character in Prime.

I do get the feeling though that the big stuff has been fixed for the most part. Which is why Ive said I think it would be better to just see it come out and then just stay on top of any bugs found. Im hoping soon the GMs will start chiming in on stuff now that the holiday season is winding down so that we can see where we are.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 04:53 AM CST
The problem with what you're asking is "if we knew what needed to be tested, we'd do it ourselves/get the plat folks to break it."

The test server is around for 2 purposes. 1) it allows people to try it out and hopefully alievates some of the issues people have with it. 2) It gives an area in which people can do mass testing that can show a bug if x guild throws y spell at z creature while yodeling a Gor'Tog battle chant and dancing an elven waltz.

The short and sweet, I would imagine is "play like you would normally, and tell me if anything breaks."

<-- Not staff, just a guess.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:11 AM CST
>>The short and sweet, I would imagine is "play like you would normally, and tell me if anything breaks."

And while I agree with you there is a reason this isnt going to work... no one is testing anymore at this point. You have at best 3-7 people that are actively testing. Thats pretty much it. Not only is this not finding bugs its also skewing the data towards a few peoples specific playstyles. The latter of those I am so against its not even funny (read any of the discussions involving PvP usage of skills/spells and youd think it was the only real thing in DR).

My feeling as stated before is that the major bugs are out. And I dont think we are gonna find the others until its being "tested" by the 200-500 Prime players hammering away at it.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:16 AM CST
I wonder if it would be beneficial to shut down Prime for a day and essentially force people to go to test prior to it being rolled in.

Then again, knowing DR players, trying to make them do anything doesn't seem to work out well.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:23 AM CST
>>Then again, knowing DR players, trying to make them do anything doesn't seem to work out well.

Heh no it doesnt. My guess is that the forum would be on fire and the instance would still be empty. On the converse they might get a little test instance love if they bribed people with something (item, title, etc), but thats the only real way I can think of that theyd get anyone into test. Hence why Im voting to release it to Prime.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 08:15 AM CST

Occasionally an idea pops into my head that may act funny, so I hop over and test it. Otherwise, I try to go in and do what I'd normally do -- try out a new hunting ground, figure out the best way to train, see how many skills I can have moving at the same time (35 currently, just in combat), etc.

Got some fun SO going on through from teaching sorcery in the middle of Crossing. It's kind of amusing. (PS - Don't TEST JUMP out of jail)
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 09:11 AM CST
ya,the last time i was in test, i was doing such "amazing" things as seeing how much DO i could accumulate without being struck down by a god. Any god.

And whether i could really get to the center of a tootsie pop without being tempted to chew the candy.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 09:17 AM CST
I decided I'd try to make another Croegar, so I rerolled Wryhk in the test instance, cranked out stamina and strength with my initial tdps, bought a crossing spear, and ran down to rats. Using attack, I was unable kill a rat...at all, ever. I remember when 9 second RTs were pretty common. I never had a problem with them. However, when you do next to 0 damage and combine that with a 9-second RT and rapid stamina drain, the darn rats simply regenerate faster than you can harm them. Using a combination of spears and darts as thrown weapons, however, worked like a charm)

I think this is a massive non-starter, especially for new players. If you want to see another game where critters take too long to kill, check out MO. Note that player base is literally single digits. GSIV, on the other hand, is a fast-paced game with a lot of intentionally-placed one hits. Eye-sniping is a staple tactic, as is 'legging' a target, then finishing it off while proned and stunned, before it can react. The speed at whcih you can die can be rather frustrating, but GS has a large player base compared to the other simu games.

I always thought that, at low and mis levels, DR had exactly the right speed. Not so fast that getting a little unlucky spelled instant death, but not so slow it becomes a chore.

How could the problem be fixed? How about capping low-level (or even all) critters' health at 70% so that they take more local damage and harder hits? The fewer hps doesn't hurt either.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 10:01 AM CST
I would sign into test more if I could be in test AND prime at the same time.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 10:04 AM CST
>>I would sign into test more if I could be in test AND prime at the same time.

This is why I think it needs to go straight to Prime. People get to gain real skill AND get to test, all at the same time! :3

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 10:09 AM CST
How about offering Riot the Aftermath quest be run in test? Move us back after we are done and tweak the scrip we get and let us choose end prizes there?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 10:12 AM CST
I'll test again once the current issues\concerns that are out there are fixed\updated\tweaked.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 10:31 AM CST
Leolind has a good point here, albeit less than ideal. As was said earlier, trying to force a particular behavior onto the player-base is a bad idea and leads to alternative behaviors that were never intended. Dropping the world into an unbalanced beta without warning is going to make for some unhappy, unquiet customers. That said, it probably won't be efficiently tested any other way. There is a reason people hate instability; and this another case where there is no real good way to handle a situation without modifying the nature of the participants.

I'll quit talking here because further discussion will devolve into political debate and that would be the pinnacle of counterproductivity.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 11:41 AM CST

>I wonder if it would be beneficial to shut down Prime for a day and essentially force people to go to test prior to it being rolled in.
>Then again, knowing DR players, trying to make them do anything doesn't seem to work out well.

Right which is why I'm saying maybe they should try communicating and asking.

I just think it would be beneficial to have some communication and some structure. Like on Monday lets get everyone in and do Bow combat, on Tuesday lets do throwing weapons, Wednesday is DD spells, Thursday lets all do AOEs.

But I dunno, maybe they don't need stuff like that.

But I still wouldn't know it if there's no news on the topic, and that's my complaint.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 12:10 PM CST
>I wonder if it would be beneficial to shut down Prime for a day and essentially force people to go to test prior to it being rolled in.

>Then again, knowing DR players, trying to make them do anything doesn't seem to work out well.

Knowing how paying customers would react to being locked out of the instance they actually pay for to be beta testers instead, it probably wouldn't work out well.

You don't see anything wrong with saying "Sorry you're paying for this, do us a favor and play this instead"? The much easier solution is to open up dual prime/test playing. Create a page-long bold warning when opening Test to address the GM hand wringing over potential AFK inattentiveness in Prime, if you have to. I think the concerns are a little silly myself since people multitask all the time while playing Prime, whether it's watching TV, posting on the boards, etc. I see little in how the AFK threat is suddenly amplified more than it would be with any other distraction. Since I don't believe dual instances have ever been allowed it appears more hypothesis than statistically based.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:06 PM CST
I've hopped in almost all my characters and poked around with all the guild specific systems/magics. I'm letting combat gurus figure that out, but I've reported every typo and weirdly behaving spell I've seen, and was impressed to see that nearly all my issues were addressed within 48 hrs, or at least acknowledged. How broken is 3.0 still?

I'm under the impression that killing individual critters takes longer (my experience with all of my characters is that it does, but not drastically so), and for some reason this is shocking and horrifying and scaring most players. They aren't, for some reason, paying attention to the xp earned, and are instead whinging that they can't continue 1-3 shotting at level critters with a jambiya. Get over it.

Most of all, I'm getting the impression that players are seeing some minor changes to combat, and significant changes to magics, and this is... for reasons totally beyond me... scaring them to the point of wanting to quit. This particular behavior is really pathetic.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:35 PM CST
Once again, my combat experience with 3.0 is pretty limited and all at minimal ranks. My expience wasn't just that a new player can't learn or takes longer to kill things. My experience is that a new character, depending on their weapon of choice, may likely be completely unable to kill insignificant enemies like rats before they stop learning from them.

Roll up a new character, grab a spear from mylgrym, and try to kill a rat with it before you get 20 ranks. I couldn't do it. I think that's a problem. Someone else, using a dagger, was averaging 120 actions per kill. Even at a 2 second rt per action with a half second between, that's a problem. If you want it to take 45 seconds per at-level kill, that seems slow but I understand the idea. Don't make it take 5 minutes to 5+ hours to get a kill.

Skinning and thanatology absolutely require corpses. There may be other ways to work box skills, but for the most part locksmithing requires corpses. New players are going to want lootable or skinable corpses to make money from. They won't be satisfied learning endless weapon skills without any cash reward to put toward better gear or crafting.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:36 PM CST

Are character slots free in test if we want to roll up newbs?
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:47 PM CST
They should be; I rolled up a newb for some testing some time ago, though she has been eliminated since then.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:52 PM CST
I just tried from the website and it told me I needed to buy a new slot.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:55 PM CST
Reroll an existing character in the test instance. It won't effect your prime character.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 02:57 PM CST
Many more testers would be on Test if we could be logged into both instances at the same time.

At the same point I think test still has enough bugs that its not prime time ready, but we are at a point where there arnt enough testers on test to find the bugs so either:

1) push it to live (risky)
2) let us be logged into both instances (better)

The logic behind why we cant be logged into both was really very shaky at best. I imagine it would take less than 10 minutes to put in a white label for the Test on the account authentication system.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:26 PM CST
Honestly, letting people be logged into either won't solve that much. Sure, it will let people be logged into both, but that means being afk in one instance or the other.

If you want to increase testing productivity, what we really need is a list of bug fixes that have already been done. I brought my necro in for the first week or two, testing out combats and necro abilities, as well as skill training. Most everything we found troublesome has been tweaked or outright fixed.

With a list of bug fixes already done, we'll at least have an idea of what's been fixed/tweaked, so we know what no longer needs testing.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:30 PM CST
>>Honestly, letting people be logged into either won't solve that much. Sure, it will let people be logged into both, but that means being afk in one instance or the other.

People that cant pay attention to both probably wont log into test to simply be 'logged into test'. Other people are probably already afk scripters, so this changes nothing with their behavior. Others (self) have 2 monitors and regularly can monitor DR while doing something else. Some can even just adjust the size of their game to fit both clients on the screen (not hard to do, especially for Genie users).

I'm not saying I disagree with you, we need a list of bugs to test. That said having us be logged into both instances does nothing to hurt testing, and can only bring more people into Test to find issues or test solutions.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:54 PM CST
I'm gonna throw together a general test night to try to group people together so we can get in some nice testing. Gonna wait until the GMs are done with their extremely long holiday break (they aren't allowed to have breaks I thought), and hopefully we can do it while a couple are in test to monitor stuff.

I think every single spell/ability should be skimmed. Examine how things work according to how that particular guild is setup. All it really takes is a few strong testing nights and I think they would have DR ready to go for 3.0, while of course there will still be some leftover bugs here and there that will be squashed not long after it's released.

I'd also like to get a list of syntax/messaging bugs since there's a lot of them, but only after the majority of combat is balanced.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 03:55 PM CST
>>Honestly, letting people be logged into either won't solve that much. Sure, it will let people be logged into both, but that means being afk in one instance or the other.

lolwut? It is not remotely difficult to pay attention to two different portions of a screen and not be afk in either instance.

I would definitely spend lots of time in the test server if I continue being logged into Prime at the same time. I would assume that there are technical limitations that prevent it though

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 04:02 PM CST
>> I would assume that there are technical limitations that prevent it though

Yup, there are. As for me, I prefer to not have to divide my attention too much! ;)

When do you want the testing done? I've got a range of chars from newbies and lowbies to fairly high. The upper end does tend to have a lot of coverage.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 04:20 PM CST
Well, for me I am most interested in....

1). Glaring imbalances. One-hit killing players or monsters when you shouldn't be. Chain-lockdown abilities. OMG I CANNOT HUNT!!!1 That sort of thing.

2). Recommendations for combat balance. We fully intend to tweak after release, so having a rage-stroke isn't really necessary.

3). Bugs. Things like the tactics 0 defense not failing, etc. We'll get those fixed up.

4). Messaging issues.

5). Misc stuff.

Our goal is to hunker down and crank out bug fixes and balance improvements for the next 2 weeks, hammer out some events and get this train moving. Everyone's help and discussions have yielded many changes, improvements and fixes already, and should continue to do so as we near the end of this exciting expansion!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 04:53 PM CST
Decided to log in as my little trader and try out rats:

Level: 14

Strength : 15 Reflex : 12
Agility : 12 Charisma : 29
Discipline : 12 Wisdom : 12
Intelligence : 12 Stamina : 14

Concentration : 68 Max : 68

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Shield Usage: 32 07% considering (6/34) Light Armor: 1 00% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 18 11% analyzing (18/34) Brigandine: 4 53% clear (0/34)
Plate Armor: 4 53% clear (0/34) Defending: 23 83% ruminating (8/34)
Parry Ability: 15 14% pondering (7/34) Large Edged: 18 05% engaged (22/34)
Brawling: 1 49% clear (0/34) Melee Mastery: 8 10% very engaged (23/34)
Arcana: 3 09% clear (0/34) Evasion: 32 03% thoughtful (4/34)
Athletics: 18 00% clear (0/34) Perception: 18 12% dabbling (1/34)
Stealth: 6 72% clear (0/34) First Aid: 14 00% clear (0/34)
Outdoorsmanship: 42 00% clear (0/34) Skinning: 32 00% clear (0/34)
Scholarship: 42 53% clear (0/34) Mechanical Lore: 75 96% clear (0/34)
Appraisal: 50 71% dabbling (1/34) Tactics: 28 00% clear (0/34)
Trading: 60 77% clear (0/34)

I've been attacking the same rat for over 4 minutes and it looks like this:
You see a ship's rat.
The ship's rat has faint scuffing to the head, a severely swollen and deeply bruised right arm compounded by deep slashes across the right arm, minor swelling and bruising around the left arm compounded by cuts and bruises about the left arm, minor swelling and bruising around the right leg compounded by cuts and bruises about the right leg, tiny scratches to the left hindleg, faint scuffing to the right foreleg, faint scuffing to the left foreleg, minor swelling and bruising in the chest area compounded by cuts and bruises about the chest area, minor swelling and bruising in the abdomen compounded by cuts and bruises about the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back.
The ship's rat is bleeding with discoloration in the right foreleg and from the right foreleg.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

I'm too tired to swing my sword now:
A slender liscis with a leather-wrapped hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A slender liscis with a leather-wrapped hilt trains the large edged skill.

You guess that it could do:
low puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
dismal electric damage

The slender liscis is poorly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You estimate that the liscis is fairly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You believe that the slender liscis is particularly weak against damage, and is in pristine condition.

The slender liscis is made with metal.
The slender liscis has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the slender liscis is worth exactly 18750 kronars, 15000 lirums, or 13530 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I would be extremely turned off from playing if I were a new player and couldn't kill a rat in under 1 minute. It was 4 minutes when I started this post and now it's up to 6 minutes. Rat is still alive and I'm still too tired to do anything, so I've decided to leave the room to rest and give it another go. I'll try again later.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 04:56 PM CST
Let me also add... generally I try to put something together on a weekend evening. I'm not sure how many schedules that will fit, but we'll see.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:00 PM CST
Wow, something must have severely changed because I was killing rats in fairly short order using a rapier in plat when it went live over there. Let me roll up another noob to test.

~ Leilond
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:43 PM CST
I tried it again with my 5th level barb and he was able to kill a rat in a little over 5 minutes. I'm not using fancy moves like I do on my high level character. I'm playing as if I just started the game. Sure, guides would help a newb, but not everyone dives into a guide right away. I didn't use a guide to learn how to play DR when I first played and the only problem I had was getting lost. I didn't touch a guide for WoW or any other MMORPG until I decided to take up crafting. Leveling/combat never required outside help.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 05:53 PM CST
>>I didn't touch a guide for WoW or any other MMORPG until I decided to take up crafting. Leveling/combat never required outside help.

Yeah, that might be a thing. I'll need to test to make sure nothing has changed, but I had rolled up a noob in all of the guilds to make sure circles 0-10 were playable and they all were over in Plat.

It sounds to me like either...

1) Something changed in a big way from when I tested, or
2) I had insider-knowledge on how best to kill things at the time, which may be a problem in and of itself if the common new player can't kill things using the intuitive commands.

Will roll up a newb in the Test instance tonight or tomorrow and post my results.

~ Leilond
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 06:18 PM CST
Rolled up a human, didn't train anything and I couldn't hit with the Pike the Veteran gives you. I then trained Strength to 15, Agility to 15, and Stamina to 16. Killed a rat with one rank just fine. It took a while, but it was doable. Thrust, thrust, thrust, ad nauseum.

Then, I joined the Paladin guild (no idea why), and bought a Longsword from the store. Joining the guild gave me 3 ranks of HE. Slice ad nauseum, and was able to kill things just fine. Again, slow but doable.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 06:26 PM CST
Not arguing that it is impossible. I eventually killed the rat. The problem is the time invested. I was able to dance with 4 rats and barely took damage, but it was not cool watching the time slowly tick away as I inflicted one tiny wound after another. I decided against counting hits because I didn't want to get too upset over the matter.

I'm not big on testing. I only popped in as my lowbies because I saw that there was concern over low level characters and new players. I'll try a level 1 character later.
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 08:05 PM CST
<<A slender liscis with a leather-wrapped hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.>>

A genuine newbie is unlikely to have this type of weapon.

suggestion: try with the weapons you get straight out of the CM, or from the veteran, or from Milgryms, and try using just the attack verb, and see how long it takes. This would most likely be the closest approximation of exp for a genuine new player.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 08:15 PM CST
Once again, when I joined the barb guild and bought a spear from mylgrym's, I had over 10 ranks of pike before I did any location damage at all.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 08:16 PM CST
>I had over 10 ranks of pike before I did any location damage at all.

You said you just trained Strength and Stamina, right? What race? I'm pretty sure Agility is more important for to hit. I did not have this problem with a Human with 15 Strength, 15 Agility and 16 Stamina.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: What should we be testing? 12/28/2012 08:21 PM CST
Was a tog. And the problem wasn't that I wasn't making contact. The problem was that every hit was harmless, glancing, or light, the RT for each attack was something like 9 seconds, and my fatigue was getting wiped out, so I'd have to wait. By the time I got my next shot in, the thing had regenerated any health I knocked out of it.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4