Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 08:33 AM CDT

What sort of nuts enhancives are at duskruin that you are concerned about? I don't really do duskruin, because it seems like so much farming, but maybe I'm missing out on something? Were there really high bonus enhancives or something?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 09:28 AM CDT
If I had to guess, from the posts, I would say probably things like "the possibility of that '+15 to X skill Bonus' on your 'bone-hilted imflass backsword' that was a random treasure drop".
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 09:58 AM CDT
Fusion changes that impact gear people had been working on via various pay events for years is not a "little thing". Further, no amount of burying actual issues under complaints about complaints is going to make the issue go away.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 10:32 AM CDT
How often are people changing orbs in fusion items for this to be a large issue for existing fusion sets outside of the higher recharge costs?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 12:54 PM CDT
It's the people who spend their entire time on the forums browsing every folder to complain about people's complaints who are both harassing (against policy) and whose complaints are not taken seriously when they have them. They will complain about everyone regardless.

Forums are for feedback and discussion. Despite the implication, I only post in a few folders/threads on the forums, so it's easy enough to ignore if it's not your particular concern.

>How often are people changing orbs in fusion items for this

It doesn't have to be an issue for many people for it to be an issue. If, as people claim, "no one" does this, then there shouldn't even be the possibility of an old-style orb degrading into a new-style without a merchant service to remove it. The cost is built in already with needing to waste charges and re-charge the item again if the orbs are changed out prematurely, and even under the current standards, it takes several weeks to safely remove both orbs from an item, during which time the item is not charged and provides no benefit.

Giving old-style orbs the chance to degrade to new-style if removed without a merchant service is even more excessive tedium on top of the higher upkeep, which only makes life difficult for those who are still working on their gear via enchants and ensorcell. If, as claimed, this doesn't actually affect many people, then I don't know why such a punitive nerf is necessary. Many systems have needed minor fixes, but it's like the wrecking ball was taken out instead on levels that weren't necessary and just causes more frustration for people who had already spent in good faith on pay event systems.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 06:43 PM CDT
Perhaps if Wyrom could explain why there is a need for old-style orbs to have a chance to turn into new-style orbs at all? Let old-style work same as before and let new-style work as it has been announced. Same thing for recharging costs.

People that bought in keep what they bought in for and new items can go out.

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 09:09 PM CDT
>> why there is a need for old-style orbs to have a chance to turn into new-style orbs at all?

Not Wyrom, so I won't try to explain why. I do have a question, though.

What will be the same player responses when nothing changes with respect to the original orbs, no conversion is allowed, and future development in Fusion 2.0 lands something really sweet that you want?

(Ok, so maybe there's a part of why in there. . . But it's small, really! )

Doug
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 01:43 AM CDT
<What will be the same player responses when nothing changes with respect to the original orbs, no conversion is allowed, and future development in Fusion 2.0 lands something really sweet that you want?

You mean instead of the current plan to have old-style work with the new-style? Like you could only use either all new-style or only all old-style orbs? I fear I don't understand what you are actually asking.

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 07:29 AM CDT

>How often are people changing orbs in fusion items for this to be a large issue for existing fusion sets outside of the higher recharge costs?

Here is how it is.

Typically people do not remove orbs on a regular basis, no one has armor and they put in hunting orbs, then take them out and put in resting orbs, then take them out and put in enchanting orbs. Many people do have armor, and then robes or something to wear while resting or enchanting or something, multiple outfits not multiple orb sets.

But, sometime, their needs might change in that they hunt a new critter or because of their training end up with a need for difference orbs than they had before. Or they simply are finally able to afford better orbs and they want to upgrade. Then they will swap them out.

Pricing is an interesting thing, you pay quite a bit for marginal utility at the upper end. So for instance I've sold a +14 Spell Aiming Orb for 30 million silvers in the past (currently someone has one for sale for far less though), that is about as high as they get (I do think there are a handful of +15 and one +16 out there, but as standard issue, +14 is the top). If this orb got switched to newstyle it essentially becomes a +7 orb long term. A +7 spell aiming orb is not worth 15m, it isn't worth 10m, it isn't even worth 7m. You might be able to get 3-5m for it. So if that were your case you'd have lost 25m in value. A 5% chance to lose 25m in value sounds very risky to many people.

So even if you don't remove the orb very often, the risk is still very high.

I have a +2 spirit return orb. I've sold multiple +1s for 10m, others have sold for 5m. I have never seen another +2 for sale, I don't remember how much I paid for this one but it may have been 50m. So if it were nerfed as planned I'd lose comparative value of maybe 45m. An item change hasn't cost me so much since 919 was nerfed making my 6x a day self charger relatively worthless. I will deal by never removing this orb. I'm not as worried about this change as others because I generally already have the best possible orbs and do not need my needs changing in the future so I think I will be okay just never removing my current orb set. But I certainly see the risk is great for people who do wish to upgrade in the future.

There is also the issue of gear upgrades. So you have a fusion armor, or fusion weapon, or fusion shield, and you buy new better armor/weapon/shield. You now have to transfer all your orbs. So it isn't just upgrading your orbs, it is when you upgrade your base gear as well. (I'm lucky here though too, there is a small chance I may want to change an orb in the future, but I'll definitely never need to swap out my armor or runestaff). Others, not as lucky, face a serious issue with this.

I do wonder to what degree luck boosts and talismans could mitigate that 5% chance. I know if I do ever need to use an orb I'll do all that stuff just in case it does help.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 07:52 AM CDT
Good explanation. I barely use fusion myself because I don't like using items with constant upkeep requirements (I have one fusion item that I am actively using across all characters today and don't anticipate upgrading). New version just reinforces my current opinion but obviously has very little impact for me personally.

>> I do wonder to what degree luck boosts and talismans could mitigate that 5% chance. I know if I do ever need to use an orb I'll do all that stuff just in case it does help.

Maybe come version of Gift of the Gods as well?

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 08:21 AM CDT
>>You mean instead of the current plan to have old-style work with the new-style?

Maybe - who knows how the GM team would solve the ever-present challenge of retiring old code in favor of new. Development will progress on the new branch, while the old branch withers and dies. We only know how they chose to, and are thrashing over it.

Doug
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 09:38 AM CDT
I guess we are in an episode of the Good Wife now? If you didn't watch that, there was a judge that required you say that something was "in your opinion", even if it was empirical fact.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 09:42 AM CDT
If it works, it works. :)
Re: The State of Fusion 10/14/2016 10:49 AM CDT

Complain all you want, but if you all weren't so min/max happy and hungry for even more power, probably fusion would never have been deemed broken. Get a mirror if you want to gripe about it, seriously. Daid

Aurach removes a small oak-framed mirror from in his obsidian wool cloak.
>
Aurach gazes at his reflection in the oak-framed mirror.
>
A grizzled dusky curhound trots in and looks up at Aurach dutifully.
>
A small oak-framed mirror says, "faendryl."

Aurach put a small oak-framed mirror in his grey spidersilk satchel.
>
Aurach says, "Indeed."
Re: The State of Fusion [THREAD CLOSED] 10/14/2016 11:10 AM CDT
Since it seems this thread has just devolved into harassing comments towards one another the thread has been closed. Please people, if you feel you're not going to have constructive posts and not follow forum policy then take it to private e-mails instead. Or use IGNORE AUTHOR.

Any further posts in this thread will be pulled.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: The State of Fusion 12/11/2017 11:25 PM CST
As previously announced on 10/06/2016, the Fusion item system will be updated with a number of changes (see below for the recap). These changes will be released this Saturday (12/16/2017). If you want to pry out any orbs or recharge your fusion equipment under the current system, please do so by Friday 12/15/2017 23:59, in-game time.

As an addendum to the previously announced changes, the enhancive item enchanting/ensorcelling penalty will be based upon the number of orb slots that the fusion item carries (rather than its currently orbed enhancive properties), so it will no longer be necessary to pry out the orbs while the item is being upgraded.

Coase

Fusion will be separated into "old style" and "new style."

Old-style Fusion

Currently "old-style" has a chance to lose potency if pried too often, and will shatter when the bonus becomes 0. Moving forward, old-style orbs, when damaged, will become new-style orbs. This will result in the removal of the shattering chance (complete destruction of orbs). Instead pried-out orbs can be damaged. Damage chance of 5% when pried. Special merchant services will exist to allow for risk-free extraction in exchange for a fee.

New-style Fusion

New-style fusion will never degrade their potency when pried from fusion, but will degrade at a rate of 4% a month (real time) to a maximum degradation of 50%. For example, +10 would lose 0.4 bonus points per month (becoming effective only when a full -1 value is reached, so only after 3 months in the case of the +10 item would any degradation of the bonus actually occur). It would take 13 months to reach max degradation in most cases. Values of 1 would round down to 0.

New-style fusion orbs can be refurbished to full base bonus as a future merchant option.

Prying new-style orbs will have a chance to damage the orb, similar to old-style. When damaged it will uncap the max degradation (i.e. can degrade to zero in all cases). Further damage would increase degradation rate by 1% per month per damage cycle.

Fusion Recharging - Both Styles

Fusion items will cost 125% the value in BPs to recharge, or 150% in silvers (during that time of the year).
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 02:39 PM CST
Currently you are able to pry an orb with zero chance of damage by waiting until it becomes "loose in the socket", which takes a few weeks after initial insertion. Can you confirm this will still work in exactly the same way for old-style orbs?
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 03:23 PM CST

how about different sets of DRAW images so that people can more easily determine what is "old-style" and what is "new-style"?

so maintain:

>acorn, aegis, apple, arrow, asp, bear, berry, bird, blade, boar, bone, book, candle, cat, circle, claw, cloud, cross, crown, demon, dog, dragon, giant, globe, hart, heron, hook, imp, ivy, jelly, jewel, key, kobold, leaf, lemon, lion, lizard, map, moon, muffin, mug, needle, oak, orc, owl, peach, plume, pony, quail, quill, ring, root, rose, rune, saber, scroll, shard, shark, shield, skink, snake, spear, sprite, square, staff, star, sun, swirl, sword, talon, tear, thorn, throne, tiger, torch, tree, urgh, vereri, vole, wave, wing, wisp, wolf, wraith, wyvern, yam, yurt, or zombie.

as the old-style images, and come up with a new set for new style.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 04:08 PM CST
Good idea.

Or they may have the new orbs created have a different adjective or something to differentiate as well.

And Analyze hopefully!
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 05:06 PM CST
Looks like they are pushing a change that will force old-style orbs to have a minimum chance of 5 percent to be damaged upon prying whether loose or not. Would a name in red please confirm this drastic change as previously it was stated that old-style will continue to remain old-style if pried when 'loose' so as not to damage them?

Thanks!
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 06:57 PM CST
The automatic "loose in the socket" mechanism is going away. Once an orb is inserted, the only way to get it out is to either take the risk of prying it out or pay for a professional orb removal. If you do choose to pry it out, any time you pry an orb of any type there is a 5% damage type.

You will be able to ANALYZE your orbs to find out what tier they are and how much (if any) damage they've sustained. For reference, "old-style" will be called Tier 3, "new-style" will be called Tier 2, and Tier 1 will be orbs that degrade all the way to zero.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 10:01 PM CST

"If you want to pry out any orbs or recharge your fusion equipment under the current system, please do so by Friday 12/15/2017 23:59, in-game time."

Can you push this deadline back to, say, the end of the year (or at least give us the weekend to decide!)? It would be nice to have the extra time to review which orbs to pry before the new system is in place. I dont have a lot of game time between now and this Friday, for instance. Others might not even see the annoucement before the effect is in place.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 10:22 PM CST

yes it is a bit of short notice aye?

New style orbs degrade at 4% per month... while installed in a piece of gear? While the gear is in inventory?

An orb in a locker, does it degrade?
An orb in a pouch, does it degrade?
An orb installed into gear, in a locker, does it degrade?
An orb installed into gear, in a shop, does it degrade?
Re: The State of Fusion 12/12/2017 10:54 PM CST
Prying out an orb takes no RT. If you're not sure pry out all your orbs before Saturday and then think about it afterwards. The damage check occurs upon removal, not insertion, so you will be able to re-add any orbs you pull at no risk if you need more time to think.

The location of the orb does not matter, it is simply a straight-line depreciation of bonus over a set time line.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 08:58 AM CST
Coase, even though folks were supposedly thinking about it since October of last year, with it coming in just a week like this...
...any chance of turning on the annual "pay silvers for charging" at the Adventurer's Guild starting on Saturday, after folks have shifted their orbs around?
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 09:48 AM CST
I need to know the answer to this question:

Will inserting an "old style" orb into fusion slots cause it to be "converted" to new-style? Or will old-style orbs remain old-style forever?

Thanks.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 10:36 AM CST
It looked like they would remain Old Style/Tier3 until they got damaged, at which point they would be New Style/Tier2.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 01:26 PM CST
When things degrade, people stop using them. That's just the way the hoarding packets of Gemstone do it. Unless there's a very easy way to maintain, people will just give up on fusion. Especially since you also made charging more expensive.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 02:08 PM CST
Well, if the repairs to the orbs are allowed at the same frequency as unlocking Enchantment projects (== "GALD" merchant), it may not be so bad.

Also, if there were a way to make orbs OTHER THAN just "once per year" at Ebon Gate (and not even then, in 2017)... Folks could replace orbs.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 02:42 PM CST

<< If you're not sure pry out all your orbs before Saturday and then think about it afterwards. >>

What will cause old-style orbs to convert to new-style orbs? Charging? Reinserting after removing?

I think I recall a discussion from a little over a year ago saying that old-style orbs would forever continue to operate as old-style orbs so long as they are not removed.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 03:00 PM CST
The only way that Tier 3 ("old-style") orbs gain Tier 2 ("new-style") functionality is if they are damaged. Otherwise, there are no auto-conversions or anything like that. Tier 3 orbs are still a valid and recognized part of the fusion system, but they simply won't be released via the Fusion Sanctum extractions anymore.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 03:39 PM CST
How does this system work with +Spirit or +Spirit Regen? Lets say you have +1 to MAX SPIRIT, or +1 to Spirit Regeneration. How could that ever degrade over time? I would assume those items could never change over time?
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 04:10 PM CST
So we'll see the fusion shaman every other year and he will spin for 10 people to make new orbs? That way it will be just as common and available as the new WPS system is? Or should we expect to see the shaman show up for simucoins and bloodscrip and complete the circle going back to microtransactions?

REALLY bad move.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 05:34 PM CST
I have a few questions:

How readily available will orb refurbishment be? Are we talking specialty merchants with limited releases or is it more like enchant unlocking where any merchant doing GALD is likely to be able to do it if asked?

Will there be services (rare I imagine) that allow upgrading T2 orbs to T3? Is this something you're even considering?

Any thoughts regarding allowing the use of Premium Points to refurbish fusion orbs?

Any thoughts on any automated systems for refurbishing T2 orbs (for example, high cost bounty points)?

Will fusion orb creation (T2) from enhancive items be an automated service?

Thanks!
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 09:27 PM CST
>How does this system work with +Spirit or +Spirit Regen? Lets say you have +1 to MAX SPIRIT, or +1 to Spirit Regeneration. How could that ever degrade over time? I would assume those items could never change over time?

As noted in the announcement recap, orbs with a starting bonus of 1 round down to zero (at 50%, which is fully degraded T2).

>How readily available will orb refurbishment be? Are we talking specialty merchants with limited releases or is it more like enchant unlocking where any merchant doing GALD is likely to be able to do it if asked?

Specialty merchant with limited releases.

>Will there be services (rare I imagine) that allow upgrading T2 orbs to T3? Is this something you're even considering?

This would be the equivalent of an auction level service.

>Any thoughts regarding allowing the use of Premium Points to refurbish fusion orbs?

Its unlikely to occur.

>Any thoughts on any automated systems for refurbishing T2 orbs (for example, high cost bounty points)?

Maybe, but its unlikely to occur in the near term.

>Will fusion orb creation (T2) from enhancive items be an automated service?

Yes, extracting orbs from items with the fusion shaman was and remains an automated service.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 09:34 PM CST
>Yes, extracting orbs from items with the fusion shaman was and remains an automated service. - Coase

With the diminished state of fusion, is there any chance that the fusion shaman could be available in some manner of permanent capacity? The services to restore the orbs could still be locked behind festivals.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 10:00 PM CST
>With the diminished state of fusion, is there any chance that the fusion shaman could be available in some manner of permanent capacity? The services to restore the orbs could still be locked behind festivals.

For all the orbs that currently exist, the main appreciable downtweak is a slightly higher recharge cost (which isn't a factor at all for those that use recharge potions rather than bounty points) and the fact that it is harder to swap orbs around at will. The current functionality of the items is otherwise undiminished. Extraction will remain a limited access service, but the door remains open for the distribution of orbs in a different manner though.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 10:05 PM CST
Sounds like what we were told with WPS and not a lot of people happy with how that really turned out. If you can't give concrete examples of what is planned I think its safe to assume the worse. We were fed a line with WPS and now it seems we are getting it again with fusion nerf.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 10:16 PM CST
I'm pretty sure that was the gist of all the posts on this same thread late last year. Fusion is definitely being nerfed. We've had.. about 14 months to prepare for it.
Re: The State of Fusion 12/13/2017 10:31 PM CST
>>With the diminished state of fusion, is there any chance that the fusion shaman could be available in some manner of permanent capacity? The services to restore the orbs could still be locked behind festivals.

> For all the orbs that currently exist, the main appreciable downtweak is a slightly higher recharge cost (which isn't a factor at all for those that use recharge potions rather than bounty points) and the fact that it is harder to swap orbs around at will. The current functionality of the items is otherwise undiminished. Extraction will remain a limited access service, but the door remains open for the distribution of orbs in a different manner though.

I'm confused. It looks like the question is about availability of creating the new nerfed orbs, but the answer is all about the old unnerfed ones.