Re: The State of Fusion 10/07/2016 03:22 PM CDT
As someone else whose "1-2 year sabbatical" frequently turns into a "3-7 year" duration, I agree wholeheartedly with Spookalah's point.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/07/2016 03:33 PM CDT
We offer a wide variety of items that are meant to appeal to different play styles and schedules. As noted, if old-style orbs or otherwise standard enhancive items make more sense for your play-style or schedule, then those are probably the right match for you. However, we plan to offer new style orbs more frequently and in different circumstances, so even if your schedule is more pinched, you still may find new-style orbs to be of benefit to you, even once the residual bonus is reached.

Coase
Re: The State of Fusion 10/07/2016 03:53 PM CDT
If these are more available, and not just behind the $50.00 Ebon Gate pay wall, then my point may become a bit more moot.

I still am extremely uncomfortable with the direction I fear these types of decisions are leading the game towards. Putting items behind Cash pay walls that then disperse charges during Real Time is -- well, kinda slummy. It's just not up to the level of expectations I've had from Simutronics, as I've never once felt punished for leaving, returning, leaving, and returning again. This decision changes all that.

Re: The State of Fusion 10/07/2016 04:10 PM CDT
I would love for Enhancive orbs to drop in the treasure system, maybe taking the place of some of the horde (hoard? either could apply...) of "tiny <pick a color> pearls" that I keep running across....
(For those not in the know, essentially every "tiny pearl" will be an orb gem.)
Re: The State of Fusion 10/07/2016 08:25 PM CDT

"I would love for Enhancive orbs to drop in the treasure system"

I found a ranged orb in the treasure system about 2 years ago.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/08/2016 04:27 AM CDT
>>If these are more available, and not just behind the $50.00 Ebon Gate pay wall, then my point may become a bit more moot.
It does sound like the fusion shaman will be back at something comparable with the Firebird, which was general access, so hopefully things will be more accessible that way.

A question about this new system though. Will we be seeing more specialized things like a forging apron that enhances all the relevant stats in a very nice manner but that only gives the bonus within the forge? It sounded like it's more possible for negatives like that to not be avoided, but it would be good to know if this is the sort of thought being considered.

_ _ _
Speaking bluntly to you, Auvreaian says, "Your ancestory is wishing they were Ashrim."
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 09:18 AM CDT
>>I found a ranged orb in the treasure system about 2 years ago.

Were you perhaps hunting in OTF and was it something like an Ithzir that dropped the orb? If so, you may have found someone else's orb, and not an actual treasure drop.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 10:27 AM CDT
I went ahead and waited several days before checking this thread, assuming it would be flooded by essays telling the staff how to run the game by certain players in particular.

Thanks everyone for not letting me down on this one.

I'm especially amused that a lore dagger for spellups is being included as a grievance for a 25% markup for recharging costs. Such a dagger would be held for what, 30 to 60 seconds a day and need to be charged once a year?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 01:41 PM CDT
I'm still confused how the "new" fusion will work when it is not being used.

They will decay whether they are held/worn/used or sitting in a locker? Is this the new model?

But enhancives do not normally do this? They only decay their uses when held/worn used?

~L

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 01:47 PM CDT
>In a graphical MMORPG, there are pretty graphics to provide visual entertainment during increasing levels of grindiness or tedium. I cannot see how it is "fun" to watch endlessly screen scrolling text via a script. People do this in GS not because it is "fun", but because they want the end prize/goal. Furthering the direction of the game to promote script gaming/grinding is detrimental to the entire game, promotes no interaction, and literally drives away players who have no desire to script everything.

lol, what.

I can't see why it's fun to sit back and watch as the screen scrolls by and a script runs around hunting for me either, which is why I don't script hunt. I'm not sure how encouraging people to script hunt to get the sweetest gear (which is apparently what you do) encourages people to interact with the game either. Personally, when I want to interact with people in a RPG, I go RP with people and when I want to hunt, I interact with the game by hunting things.

I have sympathy for people who can't manually hunt because they have mobility issues or whatever, but most people do not have to script hunt. If you choose to script hunt and find the game to be a boring grind as a result, that's your fault and there's a really simple solution to your problem.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 01:51 PM CDT
Sounds right! Enhancives have a chance to drop charges only while worn/held or using PUT/DROP or GET I think I always forget which of those 2 and too lazy to look up.

Old fusion model should be as stated (same if in charged fusion gear, unless you pry manually and are super unlucky).

Unless fusion 2.0 changes, it sounds like real time despite the location or in any gear at the time. Per Coase, so they can track batches of orb bonus decline globally (and I assume easily adding back in merchant services restoring some number of previous batch of orbs) so they can keep introducing new things with more control.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 01:59 PM CDT
You've missed the point entirely.

>I'm not sure how encouraging people to script hunt to get the sweetest gear (which is apparently what you do)

False.

>If you choose to script hunt and find the game to be a boring grind as a result, that's your fault and there's a really simple solution to your problem.

No, the game has become a boring grind if one does not script hunt, as I don't.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 02:09 PM CDT
Adding more tedium by increasing costs/retroactive nerfs = increasing grindiness, that makes the game less fun for those who don't script hunt. Those who script hunt likely don't notice or care about the increased tedium. This directly has to do with fusion being nerfed as a result of people feeling entitled to what people who had paid into pay events had achieved, while wanting to achieve the same for paying nothing.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 02:13 PM CDT
>No, the game has become a boring grind if one does not script hunt, as I don't.

I'm sorry, did you not say "I cannot see how it is "fun" to watch endlessly screen scrolling text via a script."?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 02:32 PM CDT
>I'm sorry, did you not say "I cannot see how it is "fun" to watch endlessly screen scrolling text via a script."?

Yes. That implies that I don't do it, as you don't. However, the grindiness/tedium that seems to be the direction the game is promoting seems to encourage script hunting/gaming. Again, not something I see as being fun, nor have any desire to do.

People who do it likely do it because they want the end result, not because they see it as "fun" either. However, they likely mind the increased grindiness/tedium less than the non-scripters, as they already script anyway.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 03:27 PM CDT
Alright, everybody - buckle in! I've been staying out of this conversation to this point, for personal reasons (like very little fusion gear).

But I do want to emphasize a point made.

>>the game has become a boring grind if one does not script hunt

I'm not sure I'm 100% there yet, but ever since the implementation of Alchemy (maybe before? But this would be the watershed event in my view) we seem to have headed down a major systems implementation path where grinding is the expectation. And I am concerned that there will one day be a change which will slam my needle over to the 100% mark, and bend it beyond repair.

We had this with Enchant and pools for a time. That got addressed, actually expensing 'grind' for 'time'. But truly - if one looks across most recent major systems implementations, I can't fully support 'has become', but am somewhat concerned personally that 'might become' will flip over the edge.

And yes, I know - one need not enchant, pursue alchemy, ensorcell, gather enhancives, participate in fusion, do CMAN tasks, or spend time in any of a host of other activities that our current systems support to extend character abilities and general 'worthiness'.

But I ask, where's the 'fun' in that?

Doug
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 03:48 PM CDT
I'm pretty much here to kill beasties, and get their loot. <shrug> (I then use said loot, to acquire new and interesting ways of killing beasties. So it's pretty much a closed cycle, with me.)

But I don't do ANY of those (to include Profession and Adventurer Guild), and when I'm not doing one of those two activities that I do partake of, I'm sitting around. Currently, I'm sitting around by myself because I--the player--am doing non-game-related things. (Emailing Wyrom, most likely.) In the past, I've sat around in Town Square, and talked about... stuff. <shrug>
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 04:09 PM CDT
It's a more elegant design if fusion gear doesn't need to be removed after hunts to save a charge or two. Maybe the # of charges in new enhancive items can be raised a bit to compensate, and all enhancive gear works the same way.

I find the "grindiest" systems in GS4 tend to be ported over from DragonRealms, where most things are more of a grind but it's because you're learning different skills as you enter multiple commands (which is the whole point). Scripting is much more essential there, though. I agree with Fleurs that GS should be perfectly playable without scripts. It's a bit of a stretch, but ideally there would be little to gain from using them.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 04:39 PM CDT

"Were you perhaps hunting in OTF and was it something like an Ithzir that dropped the orb? If so, you may have found someone else's orb, and not an actual treasure drop."

Negative on that. It was inside a box. I was in the early 20 trains at the time. Pretty certain it was a reiver box, but absolutely certain it was in a box.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 06:43 PM CDT

>I find the "grindiest" systems in GS4 tend to be ported over from DragonRealms, where most things are more of a grind but it's because you're learning different skills as you enter multiple commands (which is the whole point). Scripting is much more essential there, though. I agree with Fleurs that GS should be perfectly playable without scripts. It's a bit of a stretch, but ideally there would be little to gain from using them.

I feel as those people who capped before lich should get a special title.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 07:51 PM CDT
Stretch that to include prior to Jamus' PSINet, and I'm down.

Date would be sometime 2004 or earlier, I reckon.

Doug
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 09:01 PM CDT
>>(Emailing Wyrom, most likely.)

Heh.

Wyrom, PM
Re: The State of Fusion 10/10/2016 09:14 PM CDT
I'm like a comedian tying back to a previous punchline. :) The gift that keeps on giving.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/11/2016 08:11 AM CDT
I think jumping from a new version of fusion that requires any maintenance to this broader discussion of the amount of grind in the game, scripting, etc, is a huge stretch and not very short of Chicken Little with the Sky is Falling. It's a quite standard slippery slope argument I see often being made that's just pure fallacy. You'll also note how much it clogs up the relevant discussions and derails the thread (which I'm pretty sure is a large part of the intent of such tactics).

I never really used fusion because, even much prior to 2014, I could tell it was a massively overpowered system that was fairly broken, and I was expecting it would be significantly down-tweaked. If you see an overly powerful system, you are free to use it and get the most out of it you can, but you should recognize the power in the system, and wonder to yourself if this was what whoever designed it had in mind. You don't even need to think about things if you don't want, but don't come acting like this is some huge surprise!

Keep in mind that these pending down tweaks are going to make everyone's hard work who got nice fusion sets more valuable because they are grandfathering you in to the new system. So don't come back with old "oh poor us our work and money are being pooed all over blah blah blah". No! They are planning to put into a place a system that barely affects your old gear if you follow some simple rules, and your investment is going to grow significantly in value! Staff has bent over backwards to accommodate the major fusion users.

The people most affected by the fusion changes just now are the ones who were abusing it in the first place. Holding a fusion dagger to cast a few defensive spells or Ensorcell is to me obviously outside the scope of what was imagined. People build up fusion sets for tasks A-Z large and small. Down the road of course, once the new system rolls in, a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch, just like we saw with a sorcerer spell recently and a feud between two players.

Complain all you want, but if you all weren't so min/max happy and hungry for even more power, probably fusion would never have been deemed broken. Get a mirror if you want to gripe about it, seriously.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/11/2016 11:16 AM CDT
The people most affected aren't the ones who were "abusing it". In fact, those ultimate min-maxers with capped bonuses are the ones who won't be suffering much. It's the more casual fusion user who is still working on their gear, in the process of being enchanted and ensorcelled, who will now be unable to use their gear in the interim until it is completely 100% finished. This was not the case before.

Fusion was deemed broken not because of how people used it, but because the distribution of fodder items was completely unbalanced by the cash grab of endless Duskruin runs, even when that concern was raised multiple times during those openings. It was broken because the fusion shaman, which was intended to be a pay event exclusive, was put out for free on the Firebird. None of this is the fault of players, because Simu decided to ignore balance and push for the cash grab, at the expense of players who had already bought in at pay events.

The grind refers not only to fusion but the push for script grinding for scrip at Duskruin, EG, quests, etc. It's a trend that's been going on for several years now, with the fusion nerf and added tedium/required upkeep to retroactive gear being the last straw. It's fact.

What clogs up relevant discussions is people's complaints about complaints, which is irrelevant.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/11/2016 11:39 AM CDT
>>I feel as those people who capped before lich should get a special title.

Me! Me me! .townhop used to be my primary script, and that was it. A few hunting macros. Tired fingers.

~Liia
APM, Events & World Development

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: The State of Fusion 10/11/2016 12:31 PM CDT
I was more of a Sahra's Bus Company script myself. I still have .sbc in my scripts folder. Still comes in handy on computers I haven't bothered to install lich on.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/11/2016 02:15 PM CDT
>I still have .sbc in my scripts folder. Still comes in handy on computers I haven't bothered to install lich on.

Or if you want to show a colleague what "spaghetti code" really means.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 04:46 AM CDT
>Fusion was deemed broken not because of how people used it, but because the distribution of fodder items was completely unbalanced by the cash grab of endless Duskruin runs

So, when they deemed fusion was broken publicly in 2014 and slated for an overhaul, and then Duskruin first premiered in 2015, you were watching the tape of reality backwards to get your causality theory, right?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 09:27 AM CDT
Fusion was never deemed broken publicly until last fall.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 10:55 AM CDT
I didn't get the sense it was declared 'broken' then. I think that's a term we're selectively applying.

What I recall - without going back to the original posts, so take this with a grain of salt - is that we (the player base) were informed that fusion wouldn't be available as 'expected' or 'desired' because some improvements were necessary. The nature of those improvements may be counter to player comfort or desire - but if Fusion were 'broken', I would not expect to see any conciliatory grandfathering attempts, I'd expect to see hard conversions to the new system.

TL;DR - There are worlds of difference between broken and needing to improve for some reason.

Doug
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 11:16 AM CDT
Need to overhaul to add monetization hooks to fusion 2.0.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 01:09 PM CDT
"Need to overhaul to add monetization hooks to fusion 2.0." -- GilchristR

This one struck me as more clever than the more bluntly worded, but it's still a complaint about fees. I've also seen comments about monthly subscriptions being "cheapened" by giving temporary access at a higher account level, to lower accounts (F2P or standard, getting stepped up to standard or Premium).

Can people get over the concept of "a corporation, trying to make money", already?

I routinely hear about Exxon/Mobil posting billion-dollar profits (by definition, having already paid all of their expenses), yet hear minimal (if any) griping about gas prices.

I routinely hear about--have even taken advantage of, some times--things like "X free months of pay channels!" on basic cable subscriptions, or upgrades to rental cars and such.

Never once have I heard what fundamentally evil, money-grubbing dirty rotten bastards they are over at Enterprise, or HBO. (Verizon, totally different issue.)

They are expanding the buffet of content available to us as players.
Some of it we already have access to, due to our subscription (of whatever $ amount that may be; there is a marked delineation between F2P and Standard, for example).
Some of it will be added at various play levels.

Some of it will require a Box Office ticket, some of it will be done with SimuCoins.
Is there in fact any fundamental difference between these two?
YES, you can a) pre-pay for SimuCoins (rather than only being able to grab a box office ticket when they go up for sale) and b) you can get a discount for purchasing in bulk.
Otherwise? No: straight "cash for access".

Don't feel that <something with an additional fee> is worth your money? DON'T PAY IT!

Just, for the love of everything, STOP GRIPING ABOUT IT when you don't pay it.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 03:55 PM CDT

"but it's still a complaint about fees"

Well, no to complain is to express dissatisfaction. I believe the only dissatisfaction i've expressed, is about the possibility that orb removal would be a LIVE service. Specifically, I put please, please, please tell me the merchant orb removal service will be automated like the shaman and not a live service. And I got the disappointing response on that.

So, I am not complaining about the $$$ for the event for merchant service, I am saying dont make me wait in line!!! So basically its a complaint about TIME, not money.

I do agree with you that others have complained about the $$$, I am only addressing my comments.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 04:15 PM CDT
People complain about the money because the money has ALREADY been paid. That is why fusion was exclusive to PAY EVENTS. Ironic that someone who self-admittedly does not attend ANY pay events feels the right to tell people who have already paid what they have the right to complain about.

Retroactive nerfs and asking people to pay MORE for things that had already been achieved in the past is not progress, is not positive development, and is not going to entice people to pay in further to use their gear that is now held hostage. I will simply decide it's not worth the bother, was a waste of my time and money, and will have learned my lesson to not pay for gear upgrades or pay event extras in the future.

Forums are for feedback and feedback is so they know why actions are being taken.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 04:36 PM CDT
Personally, the method of removing orbs without damage will be very important to me. I don't want it to be a live service where 10 people get spun. Too limited. As for fusion 2.0, I'll just steer completely clear of it and go to events to remove old style orbs when needed. This really does need to be automated like the shaman, please.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/12/2016 11:30 PM CDT
Fusions updates have nothing to do with Duskruin, pay events, or increased drops of enhancives. Fusions very existence had a number of hardships, which I cannot really go into here on the forums. The updates to fusion have been pending for long before Duskruin was a thought in 2014. Is it all too coincidental? Sure, I'll give you that, but it's more about different management.

Wyrom, PM
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 03:16 AM CDT

In my opinion, the primary naysayers are the ones who complain, quite vividly, about nearly everything.

There's a little thing I learned many years ago, to pick and choose your battles. If you complain and say that all these little things are "The worst thing ever," the it somewhat minimizes the value of your complaint. I'm not saying your complaint doesn't have merit, but human nature is to sort of flag that person as a constant complainer, that will complain over everything no matter what "we" do.

So, that said, here's my take on fusion -- I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps it will put a different perspective for some, or someone will correct mine.

Some changes were made, which might be viewed as inconvenient for some, in order to allow changes to make it better in the future, via the ability to add scripts, or whatever to add to it. Does this include padding? Bubble flares/Ithzir flares? How does new fusion compare with old fusion in terms of PC enchant? Did I miss anything?
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 07:29 AM CDT
Maybe we could just turn off the 5% degrading chance upon removal a few times a year for a couple days. That seems easiest.
Re: The State of Fusion 10/13/2016 07:34 AM CDT
Quote:

>In my opinion, the primary naysayers are the ones who complain, quite vividly, about nearly everything.

+1