Heavy Edged: 22 86% perplexed Twohanded Edged: 22 90% bewildering
Heavy Thrown: 14 94% bewildering Brawling: 5 45% learning
Primary Magic: 32 76% very muddled Harness Ability: 32 20% muddled
Power Perceive: 35 18% muddled Magical Devices: 35 33% very muddled
Targeted Magic: 31 72% pondering Evasion: 17 17% mind lock

I'm hunting Unarmed gobs in the Best mana room there

Dasfyon

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Training 06/15/2005 10:08 PM CDT
What spells for learning do you have, and how are you casting them? Waiting for a full target, or snapping?

Gryck
Re: Training 06/16/2005 08:03 AM CDT
As far as targetted Fist of Stone, Fire Shard Fire ball and Gar Zeng. I normally use FS GZ or FOS at 5 mana as this is most efficent with my power perception. I wait for a full target.

Strangeguard Prayermaster

A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Training 06/16/2005 08:49 AM CDT
31 TM is probably pushing it for unarmed goblins. Mighty want to move out into the brambles once you've worked up your defenses a bit. The trollkin and pothaints there should move it better. Madmen should also do it for a little while longer.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website!!
Re: Training 06/16/2005 09:53 AM CDT
Would this be the same for armed goblins? I went there last night and aside from getting knocked around from swarms I still wasn't able to do anything

Re: Training 06/16/2005 09:54 AM CDT
What Jauson said. Once you get your defenses up a bit better, badgers, pots, and trollkins will take your TM to about 45 (the soft cap).

Ryeka and a war mage

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Training 06/16/2005 09:19 PM CDT
I don't recommend armed goblins. They use shields and that causes issues with TM training.

Re: Training 06/17/2005 10:44 AM CDT
Try the pothaints and badgers near the bridge. Decent mana there and not many trolkins if any will show up there. I hunted them before armed goblins.
Training TM past 115 ranks 06/23/2005 09:31 PM CDT
I am hoping to glean some advice from those of you here. I just hit 115 in TM and have been unable to get the skill to move (the last 10 were rather excruciating in firecats). I can get it to pondering against fire sprites and firecats still, but will tap out of mana using ALA. Young ogres are too tough beyond one on one, and don't seem to teach TM anyhow. am I not casting the proper sequence of spells? should I try an unarmored creature?

Parry Ability: 105 27% learning
Medium Edged: 101 57% thoughtful
Evasion: 88 87% pondering
Light Chain: 97 92% pondering
Primary Magic: 144 79% pondering
Targeted Magic: 118 21% learning

I have ALA, AEL, GZ, FS, FB, and FOS as far as targetted spells are concerned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to solve this problem on my own.
Re: Training TM past 115 ranks 06/23/2005 09:43 PM CDT
Try Silver Luecs in Ratha or Vines and Marauders in Theren

Re: Training TM past 115 ranks 06/24/2005 12:22 AM CDT
Silver leucros would probably be okay, depending on your MO skill.

You might also want to consider spending some more time training your Evasion higher before moving on for TM. And it might not hurt to learn Shield. ;)

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Training TM past 115 ranks 06/24/2005 02:25 AM CDT
At those ranks I worked up my defenses a tad more, and with a strong YS/SW/SuF up you can go inside the gate of souls. Fire Atik's will take you into the 130-140ish ranks I believe. The red ones mind you, the yellow ones cap earlier. The firecats make for AMAZING defense trainers too. Veil of ice, rising mists and AC all help against their fire shards, or bring a shield. They drop nice loot too.. thems atiks. Oh and mana can be amazing inside the fields depending on how they line up.

Some other ideas might be barghests (daytime) the Haven swamp trolls, and young ogres if you can tingle their shields. I believe they'll teach you for 15 ranks more.

TM Training Question 07/08/2007 10:16 PM CDT
I recently transitioned up to Haven. Is there anything on that side of the river that will teach TM decently in my range?

TM 66
PM/Harness 82
ME 55
HE 47
Parry 56
Evasion 50
LC 49
Shield 29
MO 47

I can fight 2-3 duskies at a time with SW and SUF up, but my TM doesn't move because of their shields/armor.

I know I need to train up shield, I'm planning on doing that when I hit 20th and get YS so I can get other armor learning in at the same time, and hit up other weapons as well.

I think beisswurms might work (would I be able to survive there with my defenses?), but I'd prefer to stay on the north side of the river if there's anything.

Hedgewizard Hilbert
-Puce WM of Elanthia
Re: TM Training Question 07/08/2007 10:23 PM CDT
Beisswurms would barely teach you TM. You're in a somewhat rough spot. If I had it to do over from where you are, I'd probably concentrate on getting my defenses even with TM, and then starting in at rock trolls at that point.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: TM Training Question 07/08/2007 11:19 PM CDT
You know, he's actually in a good spot for Tommyknockers in P5. Might get knocked around a bit, but they'll get everything up to 70s ish.

-Durnil
Re: TM Training Question 07/08/2007 11:32 PM CDT
Oh, never heard of those before.

Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 06:48 AM CDT
>I can fight 2-3 duskies at a time with SW and SUF up, but my TM doesn't move because of their shields/armor.

No tingle? Useful spell, in my opine.

But as someone else suggested, get whatever up to 60-70, then go to sprites, they'll carry you for a while.

>I know I need to train up shield,

Purely choice. The selection of critters requiring a shield is very small. Yes, I said requiring. Parry will do for most things. So if you don't feel like training it, don't force yourself. Much better off training what you want than what someone else wants.
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 09:19 AM CDT
>>Purely choice. The selection of critters requiring a shield is very small. <<

Not training shield is a decision you will regret, and regret hard, later in your WM's career. Take the time to do it now.
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 09:38 AM CDT
Heh, ya beat me too it Mazrian, I would second this advice. Train Shield, it is worth every beating. Yes, you can spend your whole career avoiding certain critters but the first invasion with goblin archers or the like and you will regret it.

Something else to say, training shield has the nice effect of training your armors as well, especially if you train multiple armor types (Chain, plate, leather, etc) at the same time.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 12:36 PM CDT
>Not training shield is a decision you will regret, and regret hard, later in your WM's career. Take the time to do it now.

No. I will not. Sorry.

Just like I do not 'regret' my choice to train 1 weapon. I manage my defenses, and dance a lot. I do not enjoy it, so do not do it.

Shield is good. But all the people who scramble themselves to tell me every time this comes up that you have got to train it no matter what, just no.
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 12:43 PM CDT
>>training shield has the nice effect of training your armors as well, especially if you train multiple armor types (Chain, plate, leather, etc) at the same time.

That's the main reason that I want to wait until 20th to backtrain shield. Currently I've got 40 in LC, and 8 in leather and 2 in HP. I want to get a HC helm and train up plate a bit with gauntlets/greaves. I imagine that the multi-armor setup will be much less painful with YS and a bit more strength, especially if I stop parrying and train up shield at the same time. Am I correct?

Hilbert
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 02:50 PM CDT
Please don't get him started on the shield stuff

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 05:56 PM CDT
Alright, I would like to address the armor ideas, because I feel like I'm in a really good place with my armor set up.

First of all, I started out in leathers too. Drop them. You're evasion tertiary - just drop the leathers.

Second, the idea of waiting to train more armor after you get YS is a pretty good one, but I don't think there's a penalty for mixing LC and HC, so you should at least be doing both of those. I would recommend the 33 stone HC greaves from Dirge, they're great for a beginner. Maybe HC gloves too, so you're learning a good bit of HC.

Now, when YS comes around, I'd like to make an armor recommendation that is absolutely stellar for me. Cost wise, I believe all of this stuff can be acquired fooooooor - 60 plat. Maybe you won't get lucky and find 3 Sever Thread scrolls for me, but the pieces you might be able to come up with in non-forged form to begin with.

HP Armet Helm Head/Eyes
LP Aventail Neck
LP Gauntlets Hands
LC Chain Shirt Chest/Back/Abdomen/Arms
HC Greaves Legs

And it's netted me, at 35th circle:
LC 115
HC 106
LP 91
HP 90

I love this set up. Low mixing penalties, and you get plate protection on hands and eyes, which is useful for stuns later in the game. Definitely stick with shield, just because it should always be real easy to keep locked, and it's more TDPs. Not to mention - VERY useful. I don't even use parry hardly. Just enough to lock it, then whip the shield out.

Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 05:57 PM CDT
Gah. I meant three Sever Thread scrolls LIKE me, not for me. I couldn't buy them, use them, or care any less about them now.

Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 07:37 PM CDT
Thanks Axillus - that's very helpful.

>>but I don't think there's a penalty for mixing LC and HC

I didn't realize there wasn't a penalty for this, which is why I wasn't doing it already.

>>60 plat.

OK, I've got ~5 to my name now, only 55 more to go! I guess that forged weapon is on the back burner...

Right now I've got a LC helm that doesn't touch my eyes, so I'll upgrade to a Visored Chain helm from Haven immediately, and grab some greaves. The equipment compendium I have says that the 33 HC greaves are from Haven (Serpentine Chain Greaves) and Dirge sells 35 stone ones, which aren't as good. I can afford both of those right now, so I'll grab those ASAP. That only adds 18 stone to my set up, but it will up the hindrance some.

Then I've got a Crossing-bought Chain Shirt, mail gloves, and chain greaves (which are going).

Now to the question:

>>Definitely stick with shield, just because it should always be real easy to keep locked

How is it easy to keep shield locked? Do I need to get it up to level first? Right now, I either dodge/parry or they go right through my shield and I get hit all the time. I suppose I should get an arm-worn shield, right? How do those work? Last time I was here they weren't around (and the shield I have is one of the ancient target shields from west-gate gobs).
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 08:55 PM CDT
>one of the ancient target shields from west-gate gobs

Adjust shield will make it worn on your back or arm.

And since it's tert for a WM, yes, it's very easy to lock. My method with my cleric is to simply put 1-5% of my stance into shield, evasion 100, parry the rest. Not sure how well it works below sand sprites or so, but it has kept my shield locked in vines.

>but I don't think there's a penalty for mixing LC and HC

There is no penalty for mixing inter-class armors. So HC/LC, HP/LP, and Cloth/leather (or is it bone? Can never remember).

Something else to bear in mind: As far as I know, Haven sells the only set type metal accesories, other than forged.

All the other stuff is neutral, meaning it'll teach you whichever skill (HC or LC for instance) is higher.
Re: TM Training Question 07/09/2007 10:17 PM CDT
Olson, I would honestly backtrain shield, maybe even learn another weapon while you're doing it. You've got Zephyr, so LT or HT is an option which you can use shield with. Or you can do a blunt. Or, a blunt and a thrown - that would be pretty good I think.

I'm a big proponent of the backtrain - I've been in grave worms training 4 weapons up to 95 for quite some time now. You've just got to think about the payoff in the end.

My shield is real close to my parry and evasion - I can use shield anywhere.

I've got 111 shield and 120 parry & evasion. My current method of training involves stancing parry to 100, shield to 82. I'll lock parry, then just go shield 100 evasion 82, until parry gets down to around muddled. It makes me feel good knowing I've trained hard and as a result have my two tertiary defenses almost as high as my secondary defense. In fact, since my shield and evasion are both over 105, I have the parry requirement for my circle in my tertiary defenses. In my opinion, it does pay off to get shield up to par so you can always lock it real fast where you're hunting, and because shield is often considered the best defense now.

On the backtraining note, I want to stress how easy gaining your TM can be by having higher PM/harness/PP. PP obviously means you'll see better mana, and synergistically with harness will mean you can cast more spells. PM will insure that you can cast a nice SW and SUF for your level. That's just been my take on things. I make sure my magics keep moving, although TM is sitting stagnant. TM is by far my lowest magic - and I'm fine with that.

I hope this isn't all garbled. You're in a good spot to pick up on some, what I consider to be, good habits. Take the opportunity while backtraining is feasible to do it.

Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 06:50 AM CDT
>I'm a big proponent of the backtrain - I've been in grave worms training 4 weapons up to 95 for quite some time now. You've just got to think about the payoff in the end.

There is none, except TDP and mental satisfaction. Possibly some titles.

There are not enough weapon resistant/immune critters that you need an extra blunt or edge.

Yes, I know it gets tiresome to see me posting this, but I just want to counterpoint everyone saying 'you have got to train 5 weapons and shield and this and that'.

Because you can get along just dandy without it. If you want to do such things, you're better off, yes. But it's far far far from 'needed'. But I'm stopping now, no more posts in this topic.
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 07:41 AM CDT
>>Just like I do not 'regret' my choice to train 1 weapon. I manage my defenses, and dance a lot. I do not enjoy it, so do not do it.

Just as a reminder to everyone: Until (and unless) bit-based circling actually comes to pass, a decision like this will actually cap your ability to circle past a certain point.

Warrior Mages still require both a secondary weapon skill set weapon and, eventually, a third weapon skill set weapon to meet circling requirements.

Matter of fact, without ranks in a second weapon, you will never pass 10th circle, third weapon is not required until you reach 70th circle.

And, also remember, the guild does require a certain minimal amount of shield training from the get-go, or you will never even reach second circle.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 11:33 AM CDT
>I'm a big proponent of the backtrain - I've been in grave worms training 4 weapons up to 95 for quite some time now. You've just got to think about the payoff in the end.

>There is none, except TDP and mental satisfaction. Possibly some titles.

>Yes, I know it gets tiresome to see me posting this, but I just want to counterpoint everyone saying 'you have got to train 5 weapons and shield and this and that'.

Yeah you know what Ucu, you're right. TDPs aren't that big of a deal, after all. I mean, just look in the General Discussion thread where there's an 85th circle WM with about 10 extra in all the stats over an 84th. But who needs great stats for their circle.

And if you will actually reread what you pasted from my post, you might notice that I never once said that you HAD to train a lot of weapons. Let me break it down for you:

>"I'm a big proponent of the backtrain-"

this simply states MY personal preference. You can tell that by the part where I say "I". If I was doling out advice, I would have said "You should be a big proponent of the backtrain."

>"I've been in grave worms training 4 weapons up to 95 for quite some time now."

this is a simple fact, used as background to relate my point.

>"You've just got to think about the payoff in the end"

Well I guess you don't HAVE to think about the payoff. Sorry for advising you to, though. You can ignore the payoff if you wish.

Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 12:19 PM CDT
>>On the backtraining note, I want to stress how easy gaining your TM can be by having higher PM/harness/PP.

This was something I picked up when I played 3-4 years ago before coming back. PM/Har/PP are my highest skills by far. In a good mana room I can get off a 20 mana SW and a 20 mana SUF (prep 10, har 5, har 5, cast) and still have some left over. I just broke 100 in PP (since playing off and on with various characters since the beta on AOL, this is my first skill to 100, yay!), and it is nice being able to see glowing mana in places.

>>My current method of training involves stancing parry to 100, shield to 82. I'll lock parry, then just go shield 100 evasion 82,

I think part of my problem is that I wasn't utilizing stance effectively. I'll work on changing it around, perhaps going to goblins to stance shield higher to work it faster and work up light thrown.

>>Or, a blunt and a thrown

I do have 30 ranks in MB and 15 or so in LE. I enjoy working weapons and my character views himself more as a "barb who was smart enough to figure out how to use magic" rather than a mage who uses weapons.
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 12:25 PM CDT
>Well I guess you don't HAVE to think about the payoff. Sorry for advising you to, though. You can ignore the payoff if you wish.

The payoff you speak of is more TDPs for your circle, NOT more TDPs. Time spent working lower weapons is time spent away from TM, your defenses, your main weapons. 5 little weapons < 3-5 armors + 1-3 normal weapons + TM + evasion + parry + multi.

Shield is excellent, amazing, wonderful... if you PvP. Otherwise its not a big deal. At all. Yes more tdps are good, but in terms of being useful it never will unless you neglect your parry. I put more effort into making sure shield is locked than parry and its 200 ranks behind before the bonus from SW. When it comes to hunting parry is the better defense for WMs.

>You're evasion tertiary - just drop the leathers.

While I agree that leather is not useful, where does this come from?

-Tropicalo
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 12:33 PM CDT
I'll throw out another reason to train multiple weapons besides TDPs and the (rare) ZOMG I'm fighting something immune to slice: Rotating weapons is a good excuse to stay in combat.

I'm not a big fan of "lock all my skills and stop". I like to hunt for at least 45 minutes to an hour, keeping my critical defenses locked for extended periods. But if I only worked my primary and secondary weapons, I would lock them up and then have to sleep/CL things until my defenses and weapons pulsed down. Instead I switch to another weapon.

With a current rotation of 5 weapons + brawling and TM, there is rarely a time when I am so locked up that I need to sleep.

-Sephos
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 01:23 PM CDT
>>Rotating weapons is a good excuse to stay in combat.

This is my main reason for training more than 1 weapon. It forces me to stay in combat and allow my defenses to catch up.

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 04:07 PM CDT
Woohoo, post # 2000. Alright, first and foremost - Ucu, my post addressing yours was on the short side. I have no problem with you, but I feel like you kind of put words in my mouth. My suggestions were just that - suggestions. I was letting someone know what works for me. Nowhere did I say "YOU MUST TRAIN FIVE WEAPONS AND SHIELD OR DIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111"

Moving on. Tropicalo - the evasion/leather comment came off kind of weird. What I meant is, don't let your armor play to your evasion, leather is great for those that need to be sneaky. We don't need to be, although I will agree that sneakiness is good.

Sephos' reasoning on being able to stay in combat really hits the nail on the head for me. Soon my weapons will be close to TM. Last time I hunted something that worked my TM, I locked it, locked ME, and then there wasn't much else until they pulsed down some. If I've got 5 weapons to train, I can concentrate on keeping my TM locked over longer periods of hunting time because there's always a weapon I can work when TM is locked.

As to shield being good only for PvP - I must respectfully disagree. I'll post a log tonight, but with a 48 mana SW and a reasonably balanced weapon, I take more damage at 100 parry/82 evasion than I take with an arm-worn croc skin buckler at 100/evasion 82. I must admit though, another reason I consider shield so valuable is that I'm a sucker for poorly balanced weapons - ie my claymore and morning star. Plus I train LT. True, I could wear a parry stick and then parry w/ the mallet when I'm holding it and the stick when I'm not. But shield's much easier.

I feel that parry is probably better in a 1 on 1 creature situation, but when I've got 5 grave worms on me, my shield really does protect better.

Re: TM Training Question 07/10/2007 06:47 PM CDT
The fact that you block better than you parry at 100 ranks is not terribly relevant. Your shield and parry are very close to eachother which means you haven't been caring as much about parry as shield. When you reach higher ranks parry will begin to outrank shield by a lot more. You're not getting near the capped boost from SW yet either, and shield has more random factors which at low levels adds up to more protection. There are plenty of reasons to train shield but to use it as your main melee defense as a WM because you think you'll get more for your time than with parry is a bad one.

-Tropicalo
TM Training... 01/27/2008 07:45 PM CST
I've recently returned from a moderately long hiatus, and I recall a TM change just before I left such that TM acts/teaches more like a weapon. However, I don't recall it being this hard to get the skill beyond thoughtful. My TM skill is around 248 and I hunt at level (swamp trolls and fendryads south of Langenfirth). I've tried several spells of varying degrees of power, and short of using FR on a horde of critters, I'm unable to exceed thoughtful when I hunt.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for me to work on my hunting techniques? perhaps methods that work for them? Or is it simply nearly impossible to lock TM anymore? Any help will be appreciated.

- Player of Newtrini Pi'Gui
Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 08:00 PM CST
You need to hunt a stronger critter.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 08:05 PM CST
TM training does indeed function like a weapon. 250 TM might be hitting the cap on fens and swamp trolls however. You might consider trying forest gryphons down in shard or Adan'f, both of which move mine at 280+.

I'd recommend not using first tier TM spells anymore, since you've pretty much outgrown them. Aether Lash, Lighting Bolt, Fireball and Stone Strike should all allow you to mind lock targeted magic without too much difficulty. For really good learning I'd recommend using chain lightning, mark of arhat and even ball lighting - it teaches pretty good since the tweak.

Keep in mind that disabling spells will penalize your TM learning. If you frostbite/ice patch a fendryad it won't teach you as much as if it was still standing. General targeting also teaches better than limb targeting. Lastly, don't forget to take advantage of aether pathways. Damage is a good boost at low skill levels, but by now you should be using accuracy for an extra bit of learning.

Good luck to you, and feel free to IM me at Juason1 if you still have question.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 08:08 PM CST
Small Peccs and/or caracals would move it nice too
Prev_page Previous 1 3