Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 08:15 PM CST
SSTR is one of the best TM training spells until you're able to use CL. It gives the most bang for the buck in terms of damage per unit of mana used, it almost always hits the critter in the chest resulting in a stun or an outright kill. And yes, you need to hunt more difficult critters. Caracals will take your TM up to 350, and they can be skinned with very little skill.

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 08:25 PM CST
Thank you all for your responses. I thought I might be hitting the cap on fends.. it just came so fast, it seems like I was just able to start hunting them comfortably. But it's likely because I need to work defenses more.. I'm not sure I can handle the next step up without training my defenses more. Maybe, I'll stay in this area and just hunt melee a bit more until I'm better rounded, but at least I know where to go next, thanks again.

- Player of Newtrini Pi'Gui
Re: TM Training... 01/27/2008 11:23 PM CST
If you have CL, those fens and trolls (as long as you don't tingle them if i remember right) will teach you TM for another 20-30 ranks, but it'll be slow. That should be fine though if you're going to stay for the defense training. At least your TM won't be stagnant. Or you could just go somewhere more difficult.

Binu
Re: TM Training... 01/28/2008 08:27 AM CST
Have you tried scavenger trolls in the gorbesh fortress?

I kind of stumbled onto them for a while and it ended up being a fantastic hunting area as a warrior mage. Here are a few reasons:

1. They spawn really well
2. There is tons of mana. The two main rooms are both "outside" (good for LB) and have brilliant or burning mana (can't remember off the top of my head).
3. They teach really well, but if you tingle them they are not that dangerous (no ranged offense like fendryads).
4. They drop pretty good amounts of coin and gems (not as much as gryphons, but still pretty decent).
5. They appear to be extremely susceptible to elemental damage.

I think they finally stopped moving my parry around 270 ranks (though I could still lock evasion at around 260 ranks). However, I know someone else who was able to hunt and kill them with less then 200 ranks in defenses and weapons as long as I tingled them first.

If I were you I would definitely try them out. However, as a general rule, I would also suggest keeping your defenses up with your TM.
Re: TM Training... 01/29/2008 06:03 AM CST
>> If I were you I would definitely try them out. However, as a general rule, I would also suggest keeping your defenses up with your TM.

Aye, I agree, I've been slacking a bit too long. Since I'm comfortable here in lang and swamp trolls and fendryads seem to teach my defenses extremely well, I think I'll stay here at least until my defenses are more up to par with my offenses. I definitely will take your suggestion when I feel I'm ready to move on to a new hunting ground.

Thanks,
- Player of Newtrini Pi'Gui
Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 05:50 PM CDT
I'm well into my 10th circle and am fighting wild boars and cougars for some time now. For whatever reason my Targeted Magic skill is not training. I'm prepping, targetting and doing considerable damage, but I'm lucky to get my TM to dabbling.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong?
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 05:57 PM CDT
You might need to move up but that's hard to say without seeing your TM skill
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 05:57 PM CDT
You may need to find a different critter, depending on your skill.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 06:23 PM CDT
My appologies, here are my relevant abbilities.

Harness Ability: 77
Primary Magic: 74
Targeted Magic: 44

I'm returning after a brief absence and find that the cougars, boars and wood trolls are a challenge for my combat skills without giving me a beating too often.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 06:29 PM CDT
I would suggest training your TM at the same level as your defenses. If your TM is higher and in the next critter level, train the other skills up first before moving on. From the looks of your TM, I'd say Eels would be a good place to be, as long as the rest of your defenses can take them.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/09/2009 07:09 PM CDT
Agreed with Roofadop. Besides, you're about to cap out what the boars can teach you.

When my prime warmie was about there, she went to hunt the lipopods and water sprites. It might be worth your while to check out the abandoned hunting preserve too.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/11/2009 07:42 PM CDT
1. What are your defenses?
2. What are your Disc/Ref/Agi?

You should cap out eels and then move to sand sprites if your ref/agi are decent.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/11/2009 09:28 PM CDT
Shield Usage: 25
Light Chain: 46
Evasion: 49
Parry Ability: 43
Multi Opponent: 46

I've tried hunting some grass eels and found they succomb nicely to my sword. I can stay on my feet so long as I don't let a swarm develope.

I'll stick with the eels for the moment and train up my skills to a more respectible level.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/11/2009 09:33 PM CDT
I failed to mention;
Strength : 15 Reflex : 13
Agility : 12 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 16
Intelligence : 16 Stamina : 15

Have a bunch of TDPs to spend.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/12/2009 08:59 PM CDT
Reflex! Raise it. It should be your highest stat IMO.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/16/2009 09:51 AM CDT
Discipline should be your highest stat, not Reflex.

At your level, I'd still work on getting all stats evenly to around 30. If you're able to move to a new hunting ground and be able to take the cap limit you can hold off on reflex until the next move. Train it as you need it/want it for SvA, but it's not the end all of stats.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/16/2009 12:43 PM CDT
<<At your level, I'd still work on getting all stats evenly to around 30. If you're able to move to a new hunting ground and be able to take the cap limit you can hold off on reflex until the next move. Train it as you need it/want it for SvA, but it's not the end all of stats.>>

This is where my ignorance is going to shine through.

Earning TDPs has been an issue for me outside of circling. Because of this, the majority of my stats are in the 14-18 range. Are you recommending taking a break from leveling to mass-train skills for the TDPs, or are you referring to circling up?

Thanks in advance for your help, as well as your patience.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/16/2009 12:46 PM CDT
>> Are you recommending taking a break from leveling to mass-train skills for the TDPs, or are you referring to circling up?

This is a bad idea. You'll gain a lot more TDPs at higher skill ranks. Just try to keep as many skills as you can going in the course of leveling.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 06:27 AM CDT
While reflex does help in "learning" tm, disipline helps with defense and makes it "hit harder" Try amping your power into the spell your using, make sure you're using a spell that teaches on the critter you're hunting, and that your mind stats make for a good amount of absorbtion.

Not moving your learning past dabbling does not mean you're not learning well, it just means you're absorbing well.

This new exp system it will make it even harder for me to get what I've said for years understood.

It's not how much you're learning, it's the fact that you Are learning.

Getting your primary weapon, your secondary weapon and the required third weapon to where you can use them on the critter you use tm on, is helpfull, and provides sufficient tdps on it's own.

While you would be a more rounded character, no need to be like me when it comes to skills filled in. A narrow band of high level skills can provide as many tdps as a wide band of low level skills.

You'll find that over leveling "required skills" can be quite beneficial.

As far as top stat:

Wear plate? Top stat = Str
Hunt "light"? Top stat = stamina
Magic Focused? Top stat = Discipline
Wear Leather? top stat = Charisma (and keep lots of favors on hand)
Use heavy weapons top stat = Ref/Str
Use light weapons top stat = ref/Agi
use ranged weapons top stat = ref/disc

The 5 magics, first weapon, second weapon, third weapon, brawling and offhand, shield, parry, evasion, first armor(shield doesn't count for an armor for wm's, go figure?) All the pesky 2 ranks per circle lores/survivals. It all adds up quite quickly and focusing on a smaller group lets you circle faster.

Try to avoid TM classes, while it seams they get you circled faster, it can cause your weapons to lag so far behind that hunting "at level" will mean you're hunting at your weapon/defense level instead of your magic/guild level.

This can help you out with that:

http://www.zairius.com/cgi-bin/circlecalc.cgi

I believe it's current, if not,

http://www.olwydd.org/

Has one too.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 08:36 AM CDT
There is so much wrong with that post it's mindblowing

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 08:42 AM CDT
<<Not moving your learning past dabbling does not mean you're not learning well, it just means you're absorbing well.

No, it pretty much means you're not learning well. Whether it be soft caps, not training it hard enough or needing to move to another critter.

<<Wear plate? Top stat = Str
<<Hunt "light"? Top stat = stamina
<<Magic Focused? Top stat = Discipline
<<Wear Leather? top stat = Charisma (and keep lots of <<favors on hand)
<<Use heavy weapons top stat = Ref/Str
<<Use light weapons top stat = ref/Agi
<<use ranged weapons top stat = ref/disc

wtbh is this, Daenar and J'lo give more useful advice then this. Wear Leather? Top stat Charisma? Use ranged weapons? top stat refl/disc? Use heavy weapons? top stat ref/str. The majority of this is completely incorrect.

The rest of the information seems fairly ok, but this is just plain silly.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 08:47 AM CDT
<<Earning TDPs has been an issue for me outside of circling. Because of this, the majority of my stats are in the 14-18 range. Are you recommending taking a break from leveling to mass-train skills for the TDPs, or are you referring to circling up?

TDP learning in the beginning is going to be slow, as you gain higher ranks you'll notice a larger influx of TDP's just from training skills. The goal for TDP gain is to keep as many skills moving as you can. You can do this by going to a hunting ground working a few weapons, armors, your magic and some survival skills and maybe a lore or two. Then leaving combat to work on the remainder of your lore/survival skills. Before the initial skills get to 0/34 hop back into combat and rinse/repeat.

Circle as you can, but just don't train the minimum requirements and nothing more. Work as much as possible. It will pay off in the end.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 09:39 AM CDT
>>There is so much wrong with that post it's mindblowing

/signed

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 09:40 AM CDT
i found the comment about leather funny, though totally inaccurate given my feelings about wearing the skin of something that couldnt survive while it was wearing it themselves
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 09:43 AM CDT
What should my top stat be if I'm staff sling primary and use cloth armor? Is that charisma too, like with leather?
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 09:48 AM CDT
I think that set up is favor primary.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 10:23 AM CDT
Shnrui-
>>There is so much wrong with that post it's mindblowing

Eladrin
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 11:04 AM CDT
<<What should my top stat be if I'm staff sling primary and use cloth armor? Is that charisma too, like with leather?

A mixture of Wisdom and Intelligence. You have to be both wise and smart to be able to fire a sling properly.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 11:11 AM CDT
>>A mixture of Wisdom and Intelligence. You have to be both wise and smart to be able to fire a sling properly.

I think you got that backwards. If you raise your wisdom and intelligence you'll start wondering why you're training a crappy weapon like slings.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 12:12 PM CDT
<<While reflex does help in "learning" tm>>

I just stopped reading that post after this point.

- Simon
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:16 PM CDT
>Ravana
>i found the comment about leather funny, though totally (?)in(?)accurate given my feelings about wearing the skin of something that couldn't survive while it was wearing it themselves.

Yea! Someone smarter than the Caelmia click. Yes it was intended to be a Joke, and does apply to any armor that provides poor to fair direct attack protection (Cloth, leather, some bone). However, it seems, typing Charisma, it was actually more correct then I meant to be, because Charisma gives you more defense with or without armor. It is your "Natural Magic Defense" stat. So Chr/Disc/stam for those who don't want to wear real armor.

>Charisma
It will cost you * TDPs to raise your Charisma from * to *.
Charisma helps you with Bardic songs, bargain with shopkeepers, extends your spirit health (and therefore the time it takes before you auto-depart after dying), and is used in various magical 'spell vs statistic' contests, among other things.

>I stopped reading when I saw (DIRECT QUOTE FROM GM).

Too bad for you, it's valid and accurate. Reflex helps your TM hit, which helps it learn, if you never hit you never learn. Go ahead, type REFLEX

>reflex
It will cost you * TDPs to raise your Reflex from * to *.
Reflex improves your skill at evading, and is used in magical 'spell versus agility' contests, among other things.

>What should my top stat be if I'm staff sling primary and use cloth armor? Is that charisma too, like with leather?

Yes, more natural defenses plus reflex so you can target better. CHR/DIS/stam/REF.

For those who missed this statement, or didn't understand it.

>Make sure you're using a spell that teaches TM on what you're hunting.

It also means:

If your TM > Critter Cap, move along.

If TM > CC and Primary weapon is < CC, learn more PW then move along.

IF TM > CC and PW > CC, move to a new creature.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:26 PM CDT
>> Yea! Someone smarter than the Caelmia click.

?

It's spelled "clique" and "Caelumia" and I haven't even posted in this thread yet. I don't even know half of the people that responded to you.

As an aside, making a post chock full of wrong information is sort of a mean thing to do when someone is asking for help, regardless of how funny or clever you think you're being.

Rev. Reene

Foresee exclaims, "Everyone is always so suspicious! "What was that powder you just slipped into my drink?" They don't ask the other sects that!"
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:27 PM CDT
>>Too bad for you, it's valid and accurate. Reflex helps your TM hit, which helps it learn, if you never hit you never learn. Go ahead, type REFLEX

Reflex does not help your TM hit, you're thinking Disc and Agility.

Go ahead, type REFLEX

>>Reflex improves your skill at evading, and is used in magical 'spell versus agility' contests, among other things.

So you realize now that these contests have nothing to do with TM?

In short, stop giving people advice on the boards they might take it seriously.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:31 PM CDT
>>Yes it was intended to be a Joke

It's hard to catch a joke in a post of wrong information.
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:39 PM CDT
Calling correct information "Wrong" because you don't like the poster is a mean thing to do, and confuses the issue.

Pointing at right information and calling it wrong even when documentation is provided/available is mean and confuses the issue.

Pointing at half right or incomplete information and calling it completely wrong, and not simply incomplete is mean and confuses the issue.

Try this.

It's wrong. Provide Proof.
It's right according to your Proof, appologise for being wrong about its wrongness, restate what I meant to say in common English.
It's incomplete, complete it.

I'm sorry you've made your self the easy Ego Target, Maybe change your MO?

From now on the Arwinia clique(Klik in german) will be the one liners that use a blanket arrogant, ignorant, and self indulgent statement, with no effort at being clever or right or doing any sort of study.

Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:41 PM CDT
>Mordimer

Instead of saying it's wrong, though it's not entirely, how about saying, he meant to say Agility in each spot he did say reflex?

>>Yes it was intended to be a Joke,

Smooth. Making jokes intended to decieve, in threads which someone is asking for help. Aren't you the sly poster. Whoops by sly I meant totally useless.

>>It will cost you * TDPs to raise your Reflex from * to *.
>>Reflex improves your skill at evading, and is used in magical 'spell versus agility' contests, among other things.

Again total lack of understanding of anything you post in.

SvA != TM.

Just stop posting please. It is getting hard to clean up your mess.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
There's no way anybody thinks this is correct

Bad troll is bad

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:42 PM CDT
>> Calling correct information "Wrong" because you don't like the poster is a mean thing to do, and confuses the issue.

You're wrong because what you are posting is wrong. Period.

>> It's wrong. Provide Proof.

Burden of proof lies on the person making the initial assertion i.e. you.

In any case multiple people have already demonstrated why you're wrong.

>> From now on the Arwinia clique(Klik in german) will be the one liners that use a blanket arrogant, ignorant, and self indulgent statement, with no effort at being clever or right or doing any sort of study.

Wait are they my clique or Arwinia's I'm confused.

Rev. Reene

Foresee exclaims, "Everyone is always so suspicious! "What was that powder you just slipped into my drink?" They don't ask the other sects that!"
Re: Difficulty Training TM 08/17/2009 03:43 PM CDT
My humble suggestion would be for someone else to post a new thread with accurate information to help this person out and that the bashing continues.

/popcorn

- George, Player of Foresee