Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
Backstab 02/19/2009 10:09 PM CST
Is there a critter comparable to the super wood trolls that roam with gypsy marauders in Theren? Those wood trolls seem to be my sweet spot at the moment when it comes to training my hiding, stalking and backstabbing, but the marauders there are more common and are much harder to train, in fact I can't seem to touch them. I tried vines and creepers but it's getting harder to train stalking with them, and I can't even train backstab with them.. at least at a respectable rate. Any tips would be awesome. Thanks.
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 12:22 AM CST
>>the marauders there are more common and are much harder to train, in fact I can't seem to touch them

IIRC, marauders are easier than wood trolls. Try throwing dirt. I'm guessing you're failing the perception contest and getting shield-blocked.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 04:29 AM CST
I think there is some version of super trolls in Shard near the south gate. Not sure of the gen or if they are on part with Theren's?
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 07:30 AM CST
At this point I would think fendryads would be the next step. Not sure of their progression as I never hunted there, but for Theren that's my guess. Throne City thugs are good too, and swarmy.

Leuc
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 08:09 AM CST
I was recently down below Shard and those rock trolls aren't so super.

Fendryads & Thugs: They appear to be way way harder than marauders. I can handle one marauder fairly easily especially when I brawl, maybe two if I'm quick to kill them. The easiest thugs appear to be on the level of marauders (minus the nerve poison?), and they roam together with thugs of harder levels? Not so sure a move to these critters would be wise.

As far as throwing dirt goes, I tried that a couple times before some time ago - not with marauders or their trolls though. At the time I think it was reavers or maybe trolls that I was hunting. My past experience with throwing dirt didn't push skills all that hard and once they are blinded you either had to just kill them or wait for the dirt to get out of their eyes to get in another attack.
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 08:31 AM CST
<<As far as throwing dirt goes, I tried that a couple times before some time ago - not with marauders or their trolls though. At the time I think it was reavers or maybe trolls that I was hunting. My past experience with throwing dirt didn't push skills all that hard and once they are blinded you either had to just kill them or wait for the dirt to get out of their eyes to get in another attack.

I constantly use dirt to overhunt. With a combination of dirt and a few khri I can kill mobs in a few backstabs that I'd have to vit kill otherwise.

If you cannot hide at melee on them without dirt you likely won't be able to backstab them consistently without darken/strike and probably a parry to improve balance.
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 09:19 AM CST
>>My past experience with throwing dirt didn't push skills all that hard and once they are blinded you either had to just kill them or wait for the dirt to get out of their eyes to get in another attack.

Sounds like you were underhunting, then.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Backstab 02/20/2009 09:26 AM CST
Ok I decided to revisit using dirt, I figured back then I wasn't as good at stealth as I've gotten. Now throwing dirt makes stealth and backstabbing surprisingly more lethal a combination, especially against those stupid marauders. GAWD I love bein a thief!
LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/26/2009 10:01 PM CDT
Looking to buy a light edge specifically for backstabbing. I currently have a Jambiya (spelling?) Forge short sword and finely balanced tago. I'm looking for help deciding which of those might be best and what is the next step up. I can afford pretty much anything short of a glaes forged weapon.

Thanks in advance!
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/26/2009 10:03 PM CDT
stick with the jambiya... only other weapon I can think of is a briquet

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/26/2009 10:08 PM CDT
Whats the going rate on the Briq's these days?
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/26/2009 11:22 PM CDT
I less than three my kastneth, if you can find one.
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/27/2009 02:12 AM CDT
I like the forged short sword or briquet for stabbing. Jamb. is better for non-stabbing combat in my opinion (and can still be used for a decent stab if I'm too lazy to switch weapons mid combat).

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/27/2009 09:28 AM CDT
if you can find one, probably around 300 plat... I just stick with jambiya's myself. I get one shot kills in raiders...

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/27/2009 09:49 AM CDT
What about the talon blade?

~Thilan
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/27/2009 10:28 AM CDT
expensive paper weight.

Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/27/2009 09:05 PM CDT
Try a tago, you will never want to go back to anything else
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/28/2009 02:26 AM CDT
Yeah so far a Tago has been the best. The jambiya so far is the best melee weapon. These lions head daggers and blackened steel throwing dagger adorned by a three-tined claw have been just under a Tago as far as stabbability and are great light throwns.
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/28/2009 03:40 AM CDT
In most hunting situations where you outclass your opponent to some extent, it doesn't really matter what weapon you use for backstabbing. When hunting at the edge of your ability, however, balance becomes the most important stat for preventing failed backstabs. In this regard, the tago is superior to the other weapons mentioned so far. The kastneths and old tagos are even better (excellently balanced), but not easily findable. I've heard Mekage forges an excellently balanced misericorde with fair puncture, but I've also heard they're very flimsy and prone to breaking.

Here are some comparisons:

*Tago vs Briquet*
You are certain that the balanced tago is about as strong as the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago is a lot more balanced than the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago does a little less puncture damage than the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago does about as much slice damage as the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago does about as much impact damage as the briquet.
You are certain that the balanced tago weighs a lot less than the briquet.

*Tago vs Forged Short Sword*
You are certain that the balanced tago is about as strong as the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago is far more balanced than the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago is a little less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago does a little less puncture damage than the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago does about as much slice damage as the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago does a little more impact damage than the dark bronze sword.
You are certain that the balanced tago weighs a lot less than the dark bronze sword.

*Tago vs Jambiya*
You are certain that the balanced tago is a little weaker than the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago is a lot more balanced than the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago is somewhat less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago does about as much puncture damage as the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago does a little less slice damage than the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago does about as much impact damage as the steel jambiya.
You are certain that the balanced tago weighs a lot less than the steel jambiya.

-Twitchet Fiskaal
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/28/2009 07:08 AM CDT
i prefer jambiya mostly because it not only stabs, but slashes as well.
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/28/2009 10:28 AM CDT
>These lions head daggers and blackened steel throwing dagger adorned by a three-tined claw have been just under a Tago as far as stabbability and are great light throwns.

your tago can always be a pretty decent LT if you aren't afraid you might lose it...
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 03/28/2009 12:34 PM CDT
<<i prefer jambiya mostly because it not only stabs, but slashes as well.

You can slash with a tago too.

-Twitchet Fiskaal
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 04/21/2009 11:41 PM CDT
And on the subject of thiefs, jambiyas and even dirt throwing... look at this www.yobserver.com/reports/10012207.html

Life imitating art?

Escaped from Dirge Assylum
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 04/22/2009 12:00 PM CDT
It's pretty funny that people fear getting their weapon stolen. I guess they only carry them for status.
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 04/22/2009 12:32 PM CDT
i have a poshly sabre. Poshly is not around any more. It can't be replaced. So you bet i registered it.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 04/24/2009 11:19 PM CDT
If you like that check this out, this is what I think of when my thief is using LE/brawling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6lY_DiXtA&feature=PlayList&p=A6F6ACABE16357A8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=34
Re: LE Backstabbing Weapon 05/19/2009 04:13 AM CDT
Tago with Paladin's new RUE spell. obviously it was on the upper end of well balance wise.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
low slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the tago is excellently balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the balanced tago is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.
Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 07/30/2009 06:21 PM CDT
Seriously, could we get the same boost to backstabbing that weapons got?

I'll be locked in 2-3 weapons before I even get halfway locked on backstabbing, it's annoying.

This means that I can't train any ranged weapons very well in the mean time as I have to continuously keep backstabbing going.

sigh
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 07/30/2009 06:23 PM CDT
I would agree
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 07/30/2009 06:37 PM CDT
I feel exp from the action of Backstab is lacking. I think experience from Ambush maneuvers are probably where they should be. Backstabbing a target should be the best method of learning, IMHO.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 07/31/2009 07:25 AM CDT
>I feel exp from the action of Backstab is lacking. I think experience from Ambush maneuvers are probably where they should be. Backstabbing a target should be the best method of learning, IMHO.

Agreed.
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 07/31/2009 03:18 PM CDT
>I feel exp from the action of Backstab is lacking. I think experience from Ambush maneuvers are probably where they should be. Backstabbing a target should be the best method of learning, IMHO.<

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 08/01/2009 11:20 AM CDT
>>Backstabbing a target should be the best method of learning.

/signed.
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 08/02/2009 02:09 PM CDT
yeah, if ambushing is granting more exp than backstabbing, shouldn't it be called Ambushing?
>votes for increased exp from the verb 'backstab'
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 08/03/2009 07:53 AM CDT
While we're discussing uptweaking backstab exp...

Snipe uses backstab heavily in its calculations. Since we're contesting the backstab skill, I'd love to see some actual backstabbing experience come out of it.
Re: Backstabbing Experience Needs a Boost. 08/03/2009 08:15 AM CDT

<<Snipe uses backstab heavily in its calculations. Since we're contesting the backstab skill, I'd love to see some actual backstabbing experience come out of it.

Please please please
Backstab exp 08/03/2009 09:40 AM CDT
Backstab exp definitely needs to be up-tweaked and if snipe checks backstab it should grant experience.
Re: Backstab exp 08/03/2009 10:25 AM CDT
>Backstab exp definitely needs to be up-tweaked and if snipe checks backstab it should grant experience.

This.
Re: Backstab exp 08/03/2009 04:39 PM CDT
>Backstab exp definitely needs to be up-tweaked and if snipe checks backstab it should grant experience.

Disagree. Then again, I wouldn't have it check backstab either.
Re: Backstab exp 08/05/2009 10:35 AM CDT
Backstab exp is fine.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5