1 2 3 5 Next Next_page
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/26/2010 09:26 PM CDT
>>backstab area

Field goblin shish kebab.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/26/2010 10:18 PM CDT
>>backstab area

Shhhhh. Nobody laugh, and maybe it'll happen.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/26/2010 10:29 PM CDT
>>After 23 LE sky giant kills:

>>Light Edged: 506 70% considering (6/34)
>>Backstab: 512 89% thinking (5/34)

How many backstabs does it take you per kill, on average? It takes me anywhere between 4-12, with an average of about 8.

I need about 240 strikes to lock Backstab.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/26/2010 10:45 PM CDT
A tighter time scale. Gotcha. I'll give it a shot.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

For my forged LC/HC, IM me at KaxisDR or visit Ciressa's Tiny Haven in the Riverhaven Market Plaza (from town square/temple go: north, go plaza, north) 12pm - 7pm EST daily. Lirums only.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 07:27 AM CDT
>I need about 240 strikes to lock Backstab.

Well now it makes sense! I haven't counted how many strikes it takes me to lock backstab but I bet it isn't far off that figure. While you say you can lock it quickly it is still a phenomenal amount of repetitions to mindlock the skill. That is roughly 7 backstabs per mindstate level.

I can't think of another skill that takes so many repetitions to lock.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 08:12 AM CDT
I just did a backstab run and it took 246 strikes using between 1 and 4 stabs per kill (usually 3) over a period of 35 minutes to reach mindlock. That is again roughly 7 stabs per mindstate level.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 08:31 AM CDT
I can lock all my defenses and weapon skills or any survival skill in under 20 minutes easily. And like you to lock bs would take me well over 30 mins doing NOTHING BUT backstabbing.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 11:15 AM CDT
I feel like I've read this exact thread before. Nothing is going to get changed until Combat 3.0 at least, and there are easy ways to work backstab.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 02:34 PM CDT
>>I can lock all my defenses and weapon skills or any survival skill in under 20 minutes easily. And like you to lock bs would take me well over 30 mins doing NOTHING BUT backstabbing.

It can take up to 30 minutes, but it trains backstab, hiding, stalking, perception, and provides boxes, that's six of my eight survival requirements.

>>I feel like I've read this exact thread before.

gonna backstab u ig cined
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 07:47 PM CDT
My question is in relation to the actual experience gain of backstab vs LE and backstab vs ME. From both sides being not locked in weapon skill and then again from being locked. The reason I am curious about locked vs not locked is I have noticed that backstab exp appears to increase once my weapon skill is locked.

240 strikes; 246 strikes - interesting, but what type weapon and how did weapon skill exp turn out.

Also interested in the difference of having weapon skills higher or lower than backstab in relation to experience gain ratios.

<<I just finished backstabbing in sky giants. 23 kills locked LE, at which point I switched to ME and locked backstab with 6 more kills.>>

<<BS 539>>
<<LE 431>>
<<ME 366>>

You have said that you can lock within reasonable time; yet still managed to avoid my question. lol

After 23 LE sky giant kills:

Light Edged: 506 70% considering (6/34)
Backstab: 512 89% thinking (5/34)

After 6 more kills (I didn't have an ME on me so all kills are LE):

Light Edged: 506 71% pondering (7/34)
Backstab: 512 90% ruminating (8/34)

The plot thickens...

Thanks for this one. Does include that all was done with LE and such. Couldn't help but notice that your LE skill is higher than the other poster as compared to backstab skill. That in part is what I hope to understand better with some testing.

Speaking of testing...

Any thoughts about how I should go about testing any of this? Or possibly finding someone else interested in helping the tackling of this. I have to go to work shortly and plan on making an outline of what I have come up with to begin testing and will try to post this for scrutiny (if anyone cares) once I have decided on how best to set my control(s) and other issues have been worked out.

Tighter time scales for training surely a plus. Thanks

Nothing is going to get changed until Combat 3.0 at least,

Not asking for anything to change. Just wanting to know the differences if any between the rate of learning with LE vs. ME. Also trying to pinpoint some other issues like to hit harder grants more exp.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 08:37 PM CDT
If I'm understanding your hypothesis correctly you could start from clear and lock backstab, using the counter to keep track of how many attacks it takes. Let it drain back to clear or if you're in a hurry use favor orbs.

Then use your weapon in melee combat until it locks. Jump directly to backstab and repeat the above procedure using your pre-locked weapon. Your weapon won't stay locked the entire test obviously but should be enough of the time for any difference to show up when compared to the first test. Make sure it's all on the same rank as well.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

For my forged LC/HC, IM me at KaxisDR or visit Ciressa's Tiny Haven in the Riverhaven Market Plaza (from town square/temple go: north, go plaza, north) 12pm - 7pm EST daily. Lirums only.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 08:56 PM CDT
At the risk of jumping to conclusions I'm just going to go ahead and state that NO, backstabbing while locked in your weapon skill will not teach you backstab any faster.

The hardest thing about backstab training is the lack of critters. It was nice when the undead swarms were around, but since then it takes longer, because I have to move around and find targets one at a time. The recent upgrade to sky giant spawn seems to have helped a little, but too often they still despawn after I find them with HUNT but before I can hunt them down.

> hunt

You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.

To the north:
1) a sky giant

To the southwest, northwest, southwest:
2) a sky giant

To the southwest, northwest, northwest:
3) a sky giant

To the southwest, northwest, southwest, southeast:
4) a sky giant

Roundtime: 8 sec.

> hunt 1
Your prey seems to have completely vanished.

Very annoying.

Even so I lock backstab in less than 30 minutes using a skinning knife.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/27/2010 09:19 PM CDT
<<At the risk of jumping to conclusions I'm just going to go ahead and state that NO, backstabbing while locked in your weapon skill will not teach you backstab any faster.>>

I tend to agree with this. Would still like to see the OP's test if he runs it though.

Kaxis

Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you thrust a peach knife at a sky giant. A sky giant fails to dodge, moving directly into the blow.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/28/2010 12:57 PM CDT
I just woke up and haven't started outlining how to achieve my goal. But here are a few thoughts. I want to look into the difference in per strike exp gain for LE and backstab (only way I have with wizard is to actually verb both skills). Further for a static I need my balance to be at solid. (this variable I can adjust for or simply not and then not use as a factor). I also need to decide on weapons both LE and ME to get as close as possible to comparative stats and weights. What I expect to happen is that actual damage should teach the weapon skill (with increase depending on how hard a hit lands and a stealth contest training backstab.

When comparing LE vs ME; I expect that ME should outperform LE as exp gain yet backstab may suffer. I really don't want to think too much about this now as I want to be completely influenced by the results.

Some people have stated that harder hits do matter. I want to know for certain on this. One thing that brought this up was an assumption that a friend asked me about some time ago and I put off. Have heard that I might can track exp gain (with a little less effort) using a different frontend.

Also would like to look into possible differences with weapon skill being above and below backstab skill. As this could make a difference as to actual exp gain per hit. Haven't set any target ranges as of yet but was thinking along the lines of capping control mob (undecided here as well) in weapon skills then running test script again to compare the results. My skills at present are close with 15 ranks of backstab. Not sure how I will go for lower weapon skill and higher backstab yet.

Is not a problem to track amount of strikes (counters as well as triggers). Attempting to set a target range for strikes is not too much of a work up for script but not going in to start with as I have no idea what target range (if any) might be ideal.

Ok, so no data and I am rambling...
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/28/2010 02:37 PM CDT
well to be honest, I personally have found that weapon be locked or not does affect the skill gain enough to note. BUT the targets perception seems to have a huge effect.

Although I can learn hiding, stalking and weapon on what I was hunting, my much lower backstab was not moving well at all. Which was frustrating me, so I moved up to something with much better perception and suddenly despite the hits not being as hard and me stabbing the same amount of times, it took me approximately half the time to get my backstab locked.
Re: Backstab exp gain per hit vs LE and ME 08/28/2010 11:43 PM CDT
The perception thing is tantamount to learning backstab. Different creatures have different perception values even if they teach combats in the same range. When I moved from gryphons to shalswars, it took me nearly twice as long to lock stealths despite shalswars teaching combats higher.

I ended up moving to a creature that teaches nearly identical combat ranges to Shalswars, but it is much more perceptive. Backstab is now one of the first things I lock in my hunting routine.
Backstab help? 02/23/2011 01:13 PM CST
I really hate to have to come and ask advice here about this, but I'm at my wits end. I've read everything on the subject and still have problems with backstab..

I just made a thief (first in a long while). My problem with him is training backstab. I've tried a number of different things, backstabbing, ambushing body parts. I've tried different weapons. I started with one of those jambiyas, moved on to a leaf-blade sword, moved on to a stout short sword from Dirge. I've also tried using ME. I've finally broke down and bought a forged short sword, forged sabre, forged scimitar, and a flat-black sword from the last fest to try to optimize damage per attack.

I'm currently hunting goblins in Haven. I did some testing using both backstab/ambush and it takes roughly 30 minutes to go from 0/34 to 10/34.

Hiding: 46 22.91% clear (0/34)
Stalking: 47 74.01% clear (0/34)
Backstab: 32 76.82% clear (0/34)

Strength : 16 Reflex : 14
Agility : 16 Charisma : 14
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 10 Stamina : 16

I always thought it sucked training TM using bolt.
Any advice you all can give me would be great.
Sorry for the somewhat longer post.
Re: Backstab help? 02/23/2011 02:01 PM CST
BS exp isn't awarded by damage, but by how well you managed to ambush the target.

I use an unbelievably balanced misericorde, and feint all my attacks targeting body parts. (feint thrust head)
The harder the body part is to hit, the more you will learn. Meaning you will learn faster by attacking the eyes rather than the chest or arms. You want to target the hardest to hit body parts while still passing the ambush check. It will still be slow to learn, but this is the best way I've found to train the skill.

I've given up on locking this skill though. I will get it to 20/34, and try to throw in an ambush in other parts of my combat script to keep it above 1/34
Re: Backstab help? 02/23/2011 03:22 PM CST
<<try to optimize damage per attack.>>

This would seem to make sense and is usually the first line of thinking people try. But backstab is a stealth attack, and it doesn't rely on damage for exp. It relies upon how well you evaded your target's ability to see the backstab coming.

This makes weapons that deal lower damage the way to go, as this will allow the creature to last longer since it takes more hits to kill them. Thus you get in more attacks per minute since you spend less time skinning, looting, and hunting and more time actually backstabbing. I can't swear that sums up the entire problem at your level, others need to weigh in on that, but it describes high level problems pretty well.

A peach knife is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
The peach knife is well suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
poor slice damage
dismal impact damage

You are certain that the knife is decently balanced and is dismally suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the peach knife is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The peach knife is made with metal.
You are certain that the peach knife weighs exactly 9 stones.
You are certain that the peach knife is worth exactly 180 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

<<I always thought it sucked training TM using bolt.>>

~ listens to a distant echo... ~

Kaxis
Re: Backstab help? 02/23/2011 04:34 PM CST
I backstab left with an LE in my left hand. Teaches offhand too.
Re: Backstab help? 02/24/2011 04:50 PM CST
I will agree with the people who suggest to find a weapon that is accurate but does little damage for backstabbing (I think you want to do at least a little damage or it won't award anything for that hit, but I may be wrong).

I have found that I seem to get roughly 1/2 - 3/4 the amount of reward for using offhand (I don't know if that is because the coding for offhand is supposed to be only 70% as effective [might have that amount off, can't remember exacts from Red-Name], but the experience I feel suffers in offhand use).

Re: Backstab help? 02/24/2011 05:17 PM CST
<<I seem to get roughly 1/2 - 3/4 the amount of reward for using offhand

I believe this is because the exp is split between offhand and the weapon you are using (and I'm guessing BS too). So ~70% goes into the offhand learning pool, and the rest goes into weapon/BS.

I'm not positive this is how it works, but seem to remember reading that is how offhand exp works.
Re: Backstab help? 03/01/2011 03:57 AM CST
You still learn with glancing/brusing hits, and this makes critters that are resistant to piercing attacks good to backstab.

Frostweavers, Elba Darvagers and Nipoh Oshu are all immune to piercing (you will never get a damaging hit with a puncture based weapon), I am sure someone can add more.
Re: Backstab help? 03/01/2011 08:07 AM CST
Everything Kaxis said.

Ambushing is the way to go, backstab kills things way too fast. What I use is the stiletto from last Hollow's fest, Somewhat Mod puncture/Excellent balance. I go through the LE thrust combo and target the head. By the time I get to 25ish in backstab my LE is also at 25 so it works well for me (at least for now).

Hunting on par it seems to take ~45 minutes to get 25/34 in backstab/LE. Hope this helps.
Re: Backstab help? 03/01/2011 10:51 PM CST
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice. I've adjusted my hunting slightly and gone ahead and tried a few more things that seem to make training backstab bearable.
Backstab EXP Tweak 03/07/2011 07:40 AM CST
In light of recent EXP tweaks (Multiple Empathy tweaks, Trading tweaks) could we have our Backstab EXP temporarily turned up until whatever release/plan is implemented?

It's a bit weird that it takes just as long to train Backstab as it does all my other weapons combined (I train 7).
Re: Backstab EXP Tweak 08/06/2012 05:14 AM CDT

If you are training 7 weapons, only 2 are usable with the backstab verb. and, BS is a primary skill while weapons are secondary. So, your BS exp will drain faster, plus you are training the weapons more. using the backstab verb versus feint/body part gives more exp for backstab I am pretty sure. It all depends on how you hunt. If you stand at melee and only kill something to maintain a quota of 2 or 3 monsters per room, depending on the spawn rate, your defense skills will train faster than your offense skills. So, (and this is what I do) if you just run around a hunting area, advance and then BS kill every critter in 1-3 hits, your exp will go to stealths and BS pretty evenly. When I hunt like this, the order of exp from greatest to least is, weapon, bs, stalk, hide. Now, if i am correct, the hide vs perc skill check goes up each time you hide in front of the same creature (pretty sure I remember hearing something about this), so if you stand with one or more critters, and use the feint/body part method (i.e. constantly hiding and stalking but doing little to no damage) it makes sense that you will get more hiding/stalking exp than BS exp. Please try with just your LE, run around and kill as I mentioned before, using BS verb, and see if that works. If you do this first, you should be able to lock stealths and BS fairly quick, then do some dancing and work with other weapons that don't require stealth while your stealth pool drains, until eventually you have all combats (offense, defense, and stealths) locked. usually takes about an hour, and will look like this

Shield Usage: 201 35% mind lock (34/34) Leather Armor: 216 97% mind lock (34/34)
Parry Ability: 203 76% very rapt (31/34) Multi Opponent: 229 94% captivated (26/34)
Light Edged: 230 96% focused (20/34) Evasion: 268 46% mind lock (34/34)
Hiding: 326 94% mind lock (34/34) Stalking: 325 91% mind lock (34/34)
Backstab: 267 89% mind lock (34/34) Vocals: 222 04% considering (6/34)

just remember therre are unlimited ways to train, experiment and find what works for you
Re: Backstab EXP Tweak 08/06/2012 10:43 AM CDT

>Light Edged: 230 96% focused (20/34) Evasion: 268 46% mind lock (34/34)
>Hiding: 326 94% mind lock (34/34) Stalking: 325 91% mind lock (34/34)
>Backstab: 267 89% mind lock (34/34) Vocals: 222 04% considering (6/34)

This works really well for this amount of skill, when you start getting to 700+ the gaps become very clear.
Re: Backstab EXP Tweak 08/06/2012 01:29 PM CDT
>CASHAV3

I don't mean to be rude, but would you mind watching the huge paragraphs like that? It's unpleasant to the eye and makes it more difficult to read.

I haven't noticed you do it before, so it may be a fluke, but I'd appreciate it if you'd break up your posts a bit.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
1 2 3 5 Next Next_page