Prev_page Previous 1 3
Names 02/11/2015 06:01 AM CST
Since the last thread was killed by Annwyl, I'd like to point out how dumb all our names are. If you have a difficult time believing me, go ahead and start pronouncing them out loud (even yours). Your mind sees one thing, but your mouth will refuse to cooperate with the nonsense that is DR names.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Names 02/11/2015 07:06 AM CST
Vickers?
Re: Names 02/11/2015 07:07 AM CST
Vickers Vapor Rub. Next.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Names 02/11/2015 09:43 AM CST

Love this game! Dooeet again!
Re: Names 02/11/2015 10:22 AM CST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicar

Re: Names 02/11/2015 10:32 AM CST
This is my son, Priests. Those people over there are my uncle Bishops and my aunt Nuns. My brother is named Popes and my dad is named Prelates.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Names 02/11/2015 10:49 AM CST
I stopped worrying about DR games when, IRL, while doing some volunteer work I send a letter to Mr. and Ms. Deathrage.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Names 02/11/2015 12:05 PM CST
>This is my son, Priests. Those people over there are my uncle Bishops and my aunt Nuns. My brother is named Popes and my dad is named Prelates.

I worked with a man named Prince Shaka. His brother was Chieftain Shaka. His parents were John and Mary Smith. He was from Texas.

Bishop is quite a common last name, as is Pope.

I wasn't able to find anyone reasonably named 'Nun' or Prelate though.

My point was just because you find a name 'odd' doesn't mean it is.

And that's without delving into the urban stories about 'Lemongello' and 'Orangello', the woman naming her baby 'Female (feh malah) because it's pretty', or 'Vaginala, because you named her for us but we put the A on the end to make it more feminine' type things. People in real life name their kids stupid things. DR isn't any more or less stupid than real life.

My favorite example is Jessica. Know where that one comes from? Shakespear. He flat out made it up, whole cloth, never existed before.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 12:52 PM CST
>>I stopped worrying about DR games when, IRL, while doing some volunteer work I send a letter to Mr. and Ms. Deathrage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 02:40 PM CST
I used to deal with criminal offenders at work. One of my favorites was a guy with the first name of "Two-Toe" who had been given that name at birth. (He had ten toes.) I never got around to asking the story behind it.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 03:50 PM CST

Sagittarius Jefferspin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss
Re: Names 02/11/2015 03:51 PM CST

Goddamit Tev, i should have clicked first. Sorry for the repost.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 03:56 PM CST
>My point was just because you find a name 'odd' doesn't mean it is.

You can't compare surnames to given names that easily. Things that make sense for a last name don't always work for a first name. I wouldn't blink twice at someone named George Bishop. But someone named Bishop George would certainly catch my attention. And someone named Bishops George would outright make me laugh to hear about.

Also, the very fact that you had a quick example of "I knew a guy named Prince and his brother Chieftain" so readily handy means that they ARE oddities, that they stood out, that they were memorable.

Judging them as "acceptable" or not is a whole 'nother kettle, but odd? Heck yeah. Definition of odd.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 04:14 PM CST

Can we please all agree that Hashtag needs to die?
Re: Names 02/11/2015 04:16 PM CST
http://www.oocities.org/shadisforce/sfpaper13.jpg
No problems here.

If you really want to get serious, though:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Gort_Firing.jpg

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Names 02/11/2015 07:25 PM CST
I specifically chose a character name that was easily pronounceable, because my name isn't. :P

-Aislynn (with Aja at the helm)
Re: Names 02/11/2015 08:26 PM CST
>Also, the very fact that you had a quick example of "I knew a guy named Prince and his brother Chieftain" so readily handy means that they ARE oddities, that they stood out, that they were memorable.

This is a thread about 'odd names'. I'm not going to tell you about the guy I worked with named John Smith.

Or Robert Stokes (think about that one). Or Mathew Mathews, Jordan Jordan, or Winter Fields. Or North West. Because they aren't odd names, so why would I point them out. I'm going to point out that just because you think something is 'odd' it isn't.

The only names I find 'odd' are the faux ethnic ones (in game and out) that use too many apostrophes and hyphenations to butcher words with non-standard phonetics.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 09:29 PM CST
I've taken criticism over Relee's name... "Relee, like really?" (it's actually pronounced REH' lee.)but the name did actually have some thought put into it as far as backstory...

Her birth name was Camrelee... loosely translated it was supposed to mean "joyful rain"... the much anticipated birth in the family took place in a rainstorm... (not sure which language(s) I originally reseached it from, except that "rela" is rain in Gamgweth...)

She is known only as Relee now because that is the name she chose to be called when she started her new life in Haven after her family was killed.
Re: Names 02/11/2015 10:35 PM CST
So it's a thread about odd names, therefore you gave an example of a name, but it's not odd, though you put it in the odd names thread because it's a thread about odd names, except you don't find it odd, so... I can't wrap my head around this one, quite. ;P

"Odd" is very subjective. If I think something is odd, then it differs from my expectation of what is usual (dictionary.com, m-w.com, etc.). You can't really tell me that I don't find something out of the ordinary, because you have no experience with my ordinary life. "Vicars" is a weird name, in my real world context. Just is.

That said, I've never batted an eye at it before today. Fits perfectly fine in DR.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 06:22 AM CST
Each of our names is a beautiful (mutated) lily in the expansive field that is DR.

Re: Names 02/12/2015 07:44 AM CST

You are all unique snowflakes.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 08:15 AM CST
I know a guy who's last name is Batman.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Names 02/12/2015 10:27 AM CST
<"Odd" is very subjective.>

It's a little off topic, but all this talk about odd names reminds me that there is a book series called "Odd Thomas" Now there is an odd name. Literally. (Good series though.)

On topic: Names can be very subjective. My middle name, that I go by mostly with close friends and family is rather strange to most people. If you are in another country, your name might be strange or theirs might be to you. DR is a in theory a mix of different cultures both from an IC sense and an OOC one. This can make it hard on our end, when someone pops in with a questionable name. Often, if I'm not sure, I'll talk to a few other GMs before I decide what to do.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead

https://sites.google.com/site/dragonrealmsweddings/Home
Re: Names 02/12/2015 11:50 AM CST
>a mix of different cultures

Not just that, but a mix of different species. It's entirely possible there are portions of other languages that simply cannot be pronounced correctly by humans. So whether or not you can pronounce it outloud is meaningless to whether or not a S'Kra or Prydaen could.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 12:24 PM CST
>>So whether or not you can pronounce it outloud is meaningless to whether or not a S'Kra or Prydaen could.

Those hh names. S'kra have such a fun language.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 12:53 PM CST
> Those hh names. S'kra have such a fun language.

Speaking of which... The hh is cool, but it doesn't need to be used in every S'kra name ever, people.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 01:09 PM CST
Thus, in conclusion, your names that you think are so cool and awesome... are not.

Re: Names 02/12/2015 02:23 PM CST
Whenever I see a stupid name that isn't against policy, I like to imagine little backstories for them.

Lejjend. The guy who never quite lived up to his brother's legacy.
Hashtag. The guy who really loved eating hash for breakfast and playing tag.
Naohhi. Someone that didn't realize no one would ever spell her name right.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Names 02/12/2015 02:42 PM CST
>>Naohhi. Someone that didn't realize no one would ever spell her name right.

Someone who likes to yell "now hi" but also stutters.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 03:21 PM CST

>>Naohhi. Someone that didn't realize no one would ever spell her name right.

Naohhi. The most caustic, saltiest, briney-est person ever born.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 03:33 PM CST
Naohhi's ionic bonds ruin my immersion.

Re: Names 02/12/2015 03:51 PM CST
>Naohhi's ionic bonds ruin my immersion.<

My solution is take anything she writes with a grain of salt.

--Just a Squire
Re: Names 02/12/2015 04:16 PM CST
>>Solution..salt.

I see what you did there, and I like it.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 04:34 PM CST
I love you guys.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Names 02/12/2015 05:36 PM CST
>>I love you guys.

We love you, too, and you will never be able to leave again because we are going to kidnap you and put you in the back of our van.

Re: Names 02/12/2015 06:06 PM CST
>I love you guys.<

You're so saccharine you make my molars ache.

>you will never be able to leave again because we are going to kidnap you and put you in the back of our van.<

Is that the same van that houses the Simutronics server?

--Just a Squire
Re: Names 02/12/2015 06:46 PM CST

The next person who bad mouths naohi gets chain killed to the point they bring up pvp policy.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Names 02/12/2015 06:56 PM CST
And we were doing so fine then "naohi" shows up.

/shake head/

It's NaOHHI.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Names 02/12/2015 07:00 PM CST
>The next person who bad mouths naohi gets chain killed to the point they bring up pvp policy.<

I consider misspelling/mispronouncing her name bad mouthing and thus grounds for chain killing. I look forward to reading the thread where you complain about self-inflicted pvp policy.

--Just a Squire
Re: Names 02/12/2015 07:24 PM CST
>The next person who bad mouths naohi gets chain killed to the point they bring up pvp policy.

It's not bad mouthing Naohhi so much as asalting.
Prev_page Previous 1 3