1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Names 10/23/2015 08:19 AM CDT
>>Plus RIP all the "My*" people.

In rare cases, I've actually seen those characters get approved for a rename.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Names 10/23/2015 08:32 AM CDT

Personally I got tired of getting chased by lockpicks when Caddy's came out....... not to mention everyone trying to disarm me...

Cadderrly,

The feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Names 10/23/2015 10:23 AM CDT
The wonders of the MY modifier and my ever persisting confusion over why more people don't use it.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Names 10/23/2015 12:37 PM CDT
When I first started playing there was a post by a GM that effectively said:

It's OK for three people to name themselves Bubbles, Blossom, and Buttercup. The problem occurs when those three people get together as sisters and start claiming to have superpowers set to save the world before bedtime.

That's always been my litmus-test on names to check if it's against policy or just my own personal nerd-rage.

Nikpack
Re: Names 10/23/2015 03:48 PM CDT
Not trying to cause an uproar or get anyone in trouble, but how does policy deal with registered brand names? There's a Centrum character in DR, which might not break the one-word rule but is not a word associated in any context with the genre of DR. To me it's like aluminum, which has been stated will never appear in alterations for essentially the same reason.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 03:55 PM CDT
He could get into the Silver-seord line. He'd fit right in.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 06:52 PM CDT
Centrum is a also a word though. It's been awhile, but it is latin. There's a lot of latin stuff used in DR as is.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/centrum

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 07:20 PM CDT
No more jarring/OOC/troublesome than all the Drizzt-iterations out there.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 07:23 PM CDT
>Centrum is a also a word though. It's been awhile, but it is latin. There's a lot of latin stuff used in DR as is.

That's a great technical point I wasn't considering.

I could be hyper-technical and say that the latin usage is typically lower case and that capitalizing it is what makes it instead like the modern vitamin product label :) but that would lead to the mother of all boring threads.

It's just jarring when I see a name like that.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 07:49 PM CDT
>I could be hyper-technical and say that the latin usage is typically lower case and that capitalizing it is what makes it instead like the modern vitamin product label :) but that would lead to the mother of all boring threads.

Eh, it's impossible to make that distinction in this case for two reasons: 1) The parser in DR forces caps on names, 2) English standard forces caps on names.

If the product was CENTRUM!! and he spelled it that way, sure. But it's just not reasonable to distinguish a single cap in DR in this situation.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 08:47 PM CDT
Nothing makes me silent rage more than trying to center my telescope on The Raven and I end up looking through it at Ravendrake. Even if I use THE raven in my syntax I still end up looking like a creeper.

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Names 10/23/2015 08:59 PM CDT
I think you can add "constellation" at the end (or some form thereof) to look less like a creeper.

I might be misremembering that. Not really a moon mage.

~Evike
Re: Names 10/23/2015 09:08 PM CDT
It should be adding 'in the sky' to the end. :D
Or cursing at moonstones a lot...

Raesh - "Moon Mages see stars when they do it."
Re: Names 10/23/2015 11:11 PM CDT
Badgopher,

What you're saying about the parser is true, but to me it doesn't matter if the player was trying to be jarring or disruptive, or if they were just an innocent victim of the name parser. If the resulting name violates a rule, then I feel the name should be disallowed. Yes, I realize that makes me sound like a big meanie.

I looked at the naming rules, and here's what I found:

CHARACTER NAMES
Please remember that DragonRealms is a product designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages, and harsh language is clearly inappropriate. This also applies to the names chosen for your character. Obscene names will not be tolerated. Please endeavor to keep names within the genre of DragonRealms (medieval fantasy). Names such as "Chainsaw Laserman" or "Klingon Fuzzbuster" are inappropriate.

The part about genre makes it sound like it really boils down to a GM judgment call whether or not a name is too modern of a reference. I guess that's the answer.
Re: Names 10/23/2015 11:59 PM CDT
But Chyaynneszaw L'ae'yy'zrman would be cool, right?

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Names 10/24/2015 05:25 AM CDT
>but to me it doesn't matter if the player was trying to be jarring or disruptive, or if they were just an innocent victim of the name parser.

A) Innocent until proven guilty. If they player isn't walking around offering you some silver pieces, just assume he's stupid rather than malicious (Hanlon's razor)

B) YOU were the one who drew a distinction between C and c in the brand vs. word, I was simply pointing out that that distinction is impossible in DR, and basically the standard english language.
Re: Names ::Thread Over:: 10/24/2015 08:44 AM CDT

And so, we're going to end this tale once again.

If you think a name is against policy - Report it, and move on.

Somebody may have picked a name you don't like or think is dumb, this does not mean it's against policy.

Further discussion regarding names can go over to the Equine Cemetery. Reminder: Policy is enforced in all our folders.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
1 3 Next Next_page