Prev_page Previous 1 3
. 11/05/2002 12:24 PM CST
Re: . 11/05/2002 02:23 PM CST
Gad, when ya delete a post, mind making the link more then a dot? Damn hard to click with a touchpad.

:)

Ecoles
Re: . 11/05/2002 02:29 PM CST
>Gad, when ya delete a post, mind making the link more then a dot? Damn hard to click with a touchpad.

LMAO....I didnt delete a post it was a bug. The "dot" is the bug and the " * " is the squished bug. get it? ::nudge:: Its still funny picturing someone tryin to hit it with a touchpad.....LOL

Gad
Re: . 11/05/2002 02:37 PM CST
Make your next bug a stick bug!

-|-|--

Was that so hard?

Ecoles :)
Re: . 11/05/2002 02:50 PM CST
>-|-|--

That reminds me of a roadkill lizard...::snickers::

Gad

p.s. Smithing for paladins is good
Re: . 11/05/2002 03:05 PM CST
Just click the show all line to the upper right of the displayed posts box...Ecoles. that will take care of having to try to click Gads minimalist perspective on bugs.

Daython
Re: . 11/05/2002 04:15 PM CST
Or you could just do what Gad should have done in the first place and clicked on that little "Mark Topic As Read" thing on that black line under the list. ::thwaps Gad::

Bug squashing posts should be removed and added to the removed post count for board lockouts, in my opinion.

To be on topic, boy, I never realized how much I repeat certain forging actions until I made a script to check it. For 5 different things reaching the "finished" stage, I did this:

Plates mixed: 28
Ingots mixed: 46
Pieces broken: 66
Water splashed: 16806 <- So that's what happened to Mus'pari.
Bellows pushed: 1261
Coal shoveled: 1275
Total pounds: 1068

Player of Linras Cauldrath
Re: . 11/05/2002 05:01 PM CST
Wow those numbers look... funny. You sure that's only for 5 items? That's like... 200 pounds an item... Course I'm as green as they come to forging...

-Mozzik
Re: . 11/05/2002 06:25 PM CST
That was with a 12th circle paladin, and three of those items were javelins with upper 40s pike and only 1 in halberd. Also note the number of pieces broken. ::smiles weakly::

The breakage was actually worse than I had expected when I first made the script, as it wasn't designed to anticipate an item breaking on the very first pound. Drop the ingot on the forge, whack once, BOOM! Thank the gods for remelting, eh?

Player of Linras Cauldrath
Re: . 11/05/2002 07:50 PM CST
I don't like doing that, because come on, we all know Gad sometimes comes up with some weird titles sometimes...

Seriously, I've seen good discussions under really bad titles.

I tend to check everything before I dismiss it.

Ecoles
Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 04:36 PM CST
This is a 305 stones kertig-alloy light chain hauberk. Thanks to Relayer for the awesome pounding and to the friends that made this possible by lending me coins.

Without DA.
The chain hauberk is light chain.

The hauberk looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a chain hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and offers:
high protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in a chain hauberk you could expect to be unhindered.

You are certain that the chain hauberk is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The chain hauberk is made with metal.
The chain hauberk is fairly flexible.
The chain hauberk has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the chain hauberk is worth exactly 2250 kronars.

Now this is with DA.
The chain hauberk is light chain.

The hauberk looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a chain hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and offers:
great protection and extreme damage absorption for puncture attacks.
great protection and extreme damage absorption for slice attacks.
high protection and extreme damage absorption for impact attacks.
high protection and high damage absorption for fire attacks.
high protection and high damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in a chain hauberk you could expect to be unhindered.

You are certain that the chain hauberk is very strong, and is in pristine condition.

The chain hauberk is made with metal.
The chain hauberk is fairly flexible.
The chain hauberk has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the chain hauberk is worth exactly 2250 kronars.

Armorer Phanton
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 07:11 PM CST
Phanton and Relayer,

First. Congrats on an awesome set of armor.

Now, we have another reason NOT to wear heavy plate. First we had leather combat armors with about the same or better protections than plate, now we have chain with better stats than plate.

Yes, I know, the cost of that armor is probably so high only a handful of folks in the Realms could afford it but still <shakes his head and rubs his plate armor sadly, thinking its become passe.. again>

Redarch
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 07:49 PM CST
Now... imagine a suit of plate made with those materials.

(There is something witty here. You are all impressed. Yesss...)
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 08:02 PM CST
dont have to imagine i know what it looks like

a half plate was made with kertig

came out great/great/good with great abosorbs without da and with it goes up to extreme/extreme/high with extreme absorbs

High hinderence

Tyden
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 08:30 PM CST
With the point that Tyden is making... the absorbs will never get better than great. All evidence at this point shows that to be a hard cap. Hence there is more to gain from the high quality metals in chain than there is in Plate.

Out of curiosity, what was the ratio of kertig to steel on the hauberk?

Further, with the right amount of Kertig you could probably get an HC aug haub to app great high high with great absorbs.

Daython
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 08:36 PM CST
Problem is that Plate absorbtion stays at great and don't increase..So basicly there is very little change by using kertig in plate but there is a larger increase to chain.

Crusader Taghz

P.s. I thought it was bad spelling day.
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 09:00 PM CST
ohh and 87% kertig on the plate
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 09:08 PM CST
Hard caps... bah...

In my opinion, if you have the skill and the legendary metals, why not have the super armor?

Though we do not even have fists in Plat... save one or two.

Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 10:52 PM CST
>>In my opinion, if you have the skill and the legendary metals, why not have the super armor?

Because that's only saved for weapons. Us Heavy Plate users just get to wonder why we wear 1000 stones of armor.
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 11:02 PM CST
>>Us Heavy Plate users just get to wonder why we wear 1000 stones of armor.

It makes us look cool?
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/04/2003 11:04 PM CST
>>It makes us look cool?

But I could easily be carrying 23623 more buckets!!
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 02:28 AM CST
>>Problem is that Plate absorbtion stays at great and don't increase

So, once more, someone tell me what our guild "owns" as our special and defining feature?? Our ability to wear the best protecting.. oh wait.. that caps at "great"?? Umm, ok.. the heaviest?? armor with the lowest hinderance?

Do ya think we might be able to trade that ability to some other guild for ANYTHING else? Probably not, no one would be silly enough to want it... but it does give them something to point to and say "See? You have that metal armor thing so quit asking for more".

Heavy plate in the first 10 or 20 circles certainly helps. I've noted the same "stagnant absorb" problem that Daython mentioned in the GloryarmRealms post earlier. At 300+ ranks.. it looks like the absorb caps actually decreases our effectiveness. How does Galain and Veldehar survive the flex zombies in the Abbey? By either killing the zombie before it gets close enough to hit ala Galain, or by evading the blows in leather, ala Veldehar. Put a paladin in plate in there and we get sliced and diced like we were wearing paper. I know I'm shouting in the wilderness here, but, doesn't anyone see the discrepancy?

And before the flames start.. once more.. I enjoy being a Paladin, I hunt just fine and survive and train as is.. its just.. this discrepancy has been around as long as I have. Damissak did great with the changes in how more ranks in plate increase the protection of the armor.. but he stopped there. Could we get someone to please look into the "absorb caps" on plate?

Redarch
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 02:36 AM CST
Come to think of it, I bet the cap was put in to stop heavy pre-tweak armor from being super good, back when Paladins could work off all hinderance to armor. Because you could just make a 1200 stone armor with sweet protection/absorption and be unhindered in it <g>.

Now however, that is not the case, and I think capping at great is uncool, even if it is the top end of it.

Dragoonseal
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 08:13 AM CST
"With the point that Tyden is making... the absorbs will never get better than great. All evidence at this point shows that to be a hard cap. Hence there is more to gain from the high quality metals in chain than there is in Plate."

I made that point a while back if you search for it. I had Profesie pound a set of field plate at 784 stones which was the first with new metals I believe. The quality of the mix wasn't that great because I used low amounts of metals but the appraisal on the plate was very hard so I figured by then that with that weight I'd get extremes but no deal. After that happenes roughly a couple months back it was clear to me that absorptions wouldn't go over great. I had two types of confirmation. The first one was when Clynlyn showd me a bug he found and what happened and it proved that there's a great absorption cap on when you finish the armor pieces. The other proof was the half plate Tyden mentioned. I have had several folks come ask me how many fists to do this or to do that and what I tell them is flee from plate. IF you want plate, do acessories or be happy with great great good with great absorptions. The guy that made the half plate came to talk to me about it but me in a silly attempt to jump ferries ended up succeding on my way to and failing on my way back so I he took it to someone else. When the plate was pounded I was in the room with the guy and Profesie and while they bet that it would app extreme absorptions I bet it would app greats and it did come out greats just like the field plate I had done a couple months back.

That's the reason I went for hauberk instead of plate. I could do a low quality mix with damites and get a heavy set of field plate that apps great grea good with great absorptions so why should I spend my fists to get the same thing 300 stones lighter? I rather make myself a 305 stones high quality hauberk and get a set that is simply better than field plate. When y ou look at it..it has good protection to impact at 305 stones, it has moderate hinderance. While the field plate at 800 stones will give you high great mod with great or overwhelming hinderance.

So once again we Paladins grab the short stick. Not only we are entitled to have the same lowest hinderance as a mage.. and oddly enough they can also increase the absorptions on their set casting YS (someone hear mage DA?) but we now were proved that plate has no real advantage if you have the opportunity to have a chain set made out of new metals. I'm sure as Redarch said only a handful of folks will be able to get these done but still...it's quite disappointing finding out that the one thing you pick because it was the best option isn't anymore the best option. It's just more coins you'll have to spend to have a great set of chains.

Phanton
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 02:50 PM CST
I still think it is horribly, horrible wrong that chain has better impact protection than plate. That defies the very reason plate was created in RL. It was because chain is supple enough to yield to force so the force just passes through the chain with hardly a hitch. Yay.

Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 03:25 PM CST
Pokes Phanton.....

Ratio of kertig to steel?

Daython
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 03:58 PM CST

Daython,

I'm not going to say an exact number for two simple reasons. Back when we had a conflict I wanted to chat to you and you didn't seem too interested so let's just say I'm not interested in sharing anything about forging knowledge with you right now. The other reason is less personal and more economy based. If you wanna share the costs I had to learn what I know and how to do the mix I did, then sure I'll leave my personal issues aside and discuss it with you. Usually I don't mind giving out precious information to anyone and save them the time and coins to find out simple things so I not to be grumpy and grouchy let's put it this way. When you pop in to chat and figure out that conflict and at least hear directly from me one word before you can judge all my integrity ( or lack of) then I'll gladly share my knowledge with you.

Phanton
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 04:08 PM CST
Oh I forgot to add. The IM is realms phanton or you can look me up in game as well.

Phanton
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 04:17 PM CST
<I still think it is horribly, horrible wrong that chain has better impact protection than plate. That defies the very reason plate was created in RL. It was because chain is supple enough to yield to force so the force just passes through the chain with hardly a hitch. Yay.

Or the positive spin; Forging 2 could possibly allow the present great caps to be improved upon, at least with new metals. I'm pretty sure that might need an appraisal range definitions look-see, but hell, every other system seems to be getting a rewrite.

-Slaris
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 04:28 PM CST
Whatever......

For those that would like to learn how to work with Kertig it is quite simple really.

A lead slug weighs 8 stones.... a kertig tear weighs... yes 8 stones. Hence one easy way to try to work your weights out and account for the ever mysterious disappearing volume start working with lead.

Generally speaking you want to build up the kertig with steel to achieve the volume and material data that you most want. I did experiments between wishing to achieve a higher flex value over raw hardness. I personally think raw hardness is the better thing, but I hardly have enough data to back it up. On the other hand, it does take quite a bit of diluted hardness high flex additives to produce very flexible kertig alloys, hence the hardness suffers appreciably.

Principle two. When adding steel in You want to create weights and quantities in an effort not to dilute the kertig too much to achieve the desired result. The way this is done is by mixing lightened steels through the use of dusts then pounding the lightened steel ONCE to the right size. As in pounding to a dart, a dagger, a sabre, a broadsword etc etc. Pounding to helms and such doesnt seem to work because they become to big to be remelted unless they are broken. You can achieve a gauranteed break by pounding with HES up and at an extremely high state of fatigue. Not very reliable all and all and alot more work than just understanding how to do it properly while dealing with weapons.

In the end it is always up to each person to share or not share what it is they know or don't know. I always considered this a folder of the "free" sharing of ideas concepts and techniques. Working with kertig isn't so hard, it is finding a good ratio that is a bit of a trick and an expense. I have hunches about what that is, but not the time nor access to materials to do so. I don't see a need to corner a market on kertig armor, there just isnt that much of it around. Oh well...

My hunch, I am guessing a ratio of 40% kertig to steel might be the optimum range to achieve, might be a touch lower. But the other factor to consider is the total weight of the item in comparision to the standard for that item. As in if a 350 stone haub is completely maxed out then you may get by with a lesser ratio of kertig to steel... if you wish a 300 stone haub you may need a higher ratio of kertig to steel to achieve the same results.

ponders all the other stuff in the post. Whatever.....

I really don't know nor care to continue focusing on some conflict that you have in your mind. Yup I can figure it out. And I will post freely my understanding of it.

Daython
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 04:36 PM CST
>>Or the positive spin; Forging 2 could possibly allow the present great caps to be improved upon, at least with new metals.

And not to say Fial is doing anything wrong, but right now there are even MORE diminished returns for using heavy plate.

I want to know why I'm wearing 1000 stones worth of armor.
Re: Phanton mixing + Relayer pounding = Goodies. 02/05/2003 07:44 PM CST
hmmm looking at the weight and the app. I'd take a smiths guess that weight ratio of purity is around 65-80% around that area. I am banking 5-6 fist min. Anything considerably less would dilute the app of the mix to not create it.

Clynlyn

http://www.annotatedboredom.com/houseofownzing

-There are no winners. Just smelly people.
I don't forge at all, but I'm curious about this. 02/14/2003 01:34 PM CST
How did it come to pass, that we as paladins are told the robe sword is our weapon of tradition, and yet from what I have been told no one can forge a robe sword let alone a paladin?

This subject has probably been gone over a hundred times and more, but I'd apreciate a serious answer about and if anyone knows as to whether it is in the works for us or not?

As a suggestion for our forging skill, not sure if anyone would be interested, but in any case, I think we should not only be able to forge them, but we should get a bonus only on forging robe swords simply because they are our sword of tradition? Hope I'm making some kind of sense here.

Darthor
Re: I don't forge at all, but I'm curious about this. 02/14/2003 01:47 PM CST
Numerous weapons aren't currently able to be made. The same is true for armor. Additionally, where are you gathering the info that the robe sword is the traditional weapon for a paladin? If you read it on a merchant's sign, you might want to start taking that at face value. No guild leader has ever mentioned a specific weapon I should be wielding. No council member has said it either.

Based on this.. I wouldn't expect paladins to get a bonus to creating any type of weapon whatsoever. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just giving my honest opinions (which probably does make me a jerk after all).

Mordril
Anti-war hippies are quickly exposed when you club them over the head without provocation. They may not fight back the first time. Continue pummeling them until they see that violence is an occasional necessity.
Re: I don't forge at all, but I'm curious about this. 02/14/2003 02:11 PM CST
And if I recall, it was not all paladins. Just the paladins from that island. My Therengian paladin views the longsword with special symbolism.

I bet the idiot who said "A picture is worth a thousand words" was an illiterate stable boy.
Re: I don't forge at all, but I'm curious about this. 02/14/2003 04:58 PM CST
I've looked at robe swords on Aesry. According to the description of them they are traditional paladin weapons.

I imagine the template for robe swords just plain wasn't included for forging. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Ryeka
Re: I don't forge at all, but I'm curious about this. 02/14/2003 08:48 PM CST
The robe sword is a great weapon overall. p/h/m f/f moderately strong at 56 stones (Guessing the appraisal). If you understand pieces of the smithing system, you will know that it is difficult to get a fairly balanced blade heavy edged at that weight. The impact is very nice but it reminds me of a broadsword/longsword template. The balance is the critical thing at that weight. You would expect something to be p/r or p/w at 56 stones as a heavy edged.

-Ruffles
LC questions. 04/09/2003 10:50 AM CDT
Im possibly in the market for LC<forged> armor.

Im looking for body armor that will cover torso to legs.. I only want my hands and head free for Leather training still.

Keep in mind i belong to a special guild and do alot of shadow hunting BUT i would still like to enjoy better and lighter protection while engaged in melee without having tonnes of hindrence for hiding, stalking etc.

What are the stats out there on such armor, who makes it and an average cost.

Also.. will other names be able to be forged in Forging II? ie chain armor, some chain, some chain mail rather than just shirts and haubreks?

Thanks in advance.

~Your friendly neighborhood Dusk~
Re: LC questions. 04/10/2003 02:28 AM CDT
Give me a shout if you need anything

Relayer

http://darkanvil.bravepages.com/Index.html
Re: LC questions. 04/10/2003 10:39 AM CDT
Thank you. Very informative site.

~Your friendly neighborhood Dusk~
Prev_page Previous 1 3