Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
SLS 03/22/2005 10:22 AM CST
Though it is a quest, is a spell slot still required to learn SLS? As in, can you learn it by just doing the quest, or does the quest only give you access to learning it through Kssarh (or whoever)?
Re: SLS 03/22/2005 10:24 AM CST
it still requires a spell slot
Re: SLS 03/22/2005 10:25 AM CST
You have to have a spell slot open for both SLS and Shadewatch Mirror. They require both a quest and a spell slot.
Re: SLS 03/22/2005 12:18 PM CST
Well you can do the quest for shadewatch mirror when you don't have an open slot but you can't get the spell you'll have to go back at a later date and get it.

Starlight sphere requires the spell slot to be free in order for you to complete the quest.
Something weird with SLS 06/07/2005 08:36 PM CDT
I've noticed that when I use MB and SLS together sometimes something weird happens. Here's an example.

Normally my sphere misses on bargs, except for an occaisional lucky hit. This is what happens on a normal miss:

The air takes on a sudden chill as a pulsating pale grey sphere flares and rushes at a hulking black barghest!
The hulking black barghest manages to get out of the way of the pale grey sphere!

They need to be stunned, off balance, or unconscious for me to hit them consistently. Usually I use MB to accomplish this. But when I time the MB to just before the sphere strikes, this happens:

cast barg
You gesture at a hulking black barghest.
A hulking black barghest jerks its head and grimaces.
Roundtime: 2 seconds
>
The air takes on a sudden chill as a pulsating pale grey sphere flares and rushes at a hulking black barghest!
The pale grey sphere misses!

Why does it miss when it usually hits on a stun? It happens with too much regularity for me to chalk it up to luck. Also, the different messaging leads me to believe something else is going on. Anyone have any ideas?
Re: Something weird with SLS 06/07/2005 11:38 PM CDT
Check your offensive stance, it tends to make the general "misses" message with SLS and spike, otherwise you get the normal messaging of "manages to get out of the way". Though sometimes on shadow masters with 100% offensive stance I get the "arc of light misses" message if the master is stunned from casting/hitting my shear.

-- Toldorf GurKct

And now presenting: Scent of a Screamer

>
A stone comes flying out of the darkness and hits you!

A cry of glee erupts around you: "Hoo-HAAA!"
Suddenly a group of S'lai leap into view! It's an ambush!
Re: Something weird with SLS 06/07/2005 11:41 PM CDT
Offense is at 100%, and the only time the general "miss" happens is immediately after a non-sleeping MB.
Re: Something weird with SLS 06/07/2005 11:45 PM CDT
Could be an at-level vs. overhunting thing, I know masters are over-hunting for me, are night bargs over-hunting for you? Seems like stuns + SLS/spike/pulsing TM spells results in the generic miss perhaps because there's not enough of a penalty during that specific type of stun to warrant the lesser TM hitting the critter, I'm assuming that's what's happening to me.

-- Toldorf GurKct

And now presenting: Scent of a Screamer

>
A stone comes flying out of the darkness and hits you!

A cry of glee erupts around you: "Hoo-HAAA!"
Suddenly a group of S'lai leap into view! It's an ambush!
Re: Something weird with SLS 06/08/2005 08:22 AM CDT
NOt really sure how these things work to tell you the truth but I was thinking that perhaps the "roll" of damage for SLS was taken a split second before you cast MB so that SLS didn't recognize the effects of the MB if that made any sense

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Something weird with SLS 06/08/2005 12:29 PM CDT
Yeah, that seems like the most reasonable explanation so far. I might do some messing around with it and other spells to see if it happens with all spells or just MB.
SLS Constellations 08/29/2005 03:17 PM CDT
What are you alls favorate constellation with which to use SLS? And why? I am trying to get a sense of what some of the better ones are and their advantages and disadvantages...

Also, if you cast SLS in water room, you die? or just take nerve damange? What happens if you cast it during the day? It just fails? What if you cast and then walk into a water room?

Thanks
Re: SLS Constellations 08/29/2005 07:37 PM CDT
>Also, if you cast SLS in water room, you die? or just take nerve damange? What happens if you cast it during the day? It just fails? What if you cast and then walk into a water room?

Bad stuff... REALLY bad stuff happens...

"Dogs and Cats living together..."

It's like when GMs say "soon". That's how bad it is.

-Nitish

>Aim For The Heavens...

"You cut my foot off!"
"I apologize; I meant to cut off your head."
Re: SLS Constellations 08/29/2005 07:40 PM CDT
>>What are you alls favorate constellation with which to use SLS? And why? I am trying to get a sense of what some of the better ones are and their advantages and disadvantages...

I like whatever suits my fancy at the time. But generally I cast on Ram. ::shrug:: I've never tested the efficiency of the different constellations, I'm sure someone has more info on that.

>>Also, if you cast SLS in water room, you die? or just take nerve damange? What if you cast and then walk into a water room?

I've never cast it in a water room but have mistakenly walked into one with the sphere in tow. It fizzles and sends a nasty jolt doing nerve damage, sometimes pretty severe, and makes your hair stand on end (figuratively).

>>What happens if you cast it during the day? It just fails?

Exactly, if fails. It tries to form but can't.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/29/2005 07:49 PM CDT
I use Lion and Magpie. Both are high hit, high accuracy.

~Skylira Mer'luna~
Re: SLS Constellations 08/29/2005 08:27 PM CDT
I've always had a fondness for the spider when I've used SLS.

~Tykyra~
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 01:33 AM CDT
Another SLS Question...

Since SLS and water rooms dont mix...

1. How can I tell if a room is a water room... Sometimes what I see can be deceiving...

2. Is there a way to banish or dispell your SLS before its time is elapsed? If you have to suddenly go for a swim?
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 02:14 AM CDT
I like the welkin cause it's perrty.

Zelaide
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 02:18 AM CDT
Oh also how long does it last? Is there a way to tell how much longer your SLS is going to last?
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 02:19 AM CDT
You can get rid of it by <release sphere> or <break sphere> or something along those lines. I forget which exactly.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 09:32 AM CDT
I always cast on the Magpie, I agree it does work wonders for me but I have nothing to compare it against, never really thought to do that because I always assumed it just changed the color and nothing else.

P.S Magpie is a Shadowy Sphere. I think it would be fun if there was list of all the colors each constellation changes the sphere to.

Rilely Strings
Progeny of Tezirah
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 10:39 AM CDT
http://members.cox.net/eldrad/SLS.html
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 04:01 PM CDT
<< How can I tell if a room is a water room... Sometimes what I see can be deceiving...

My usual method of detecting water is to have a sphere up and walk into a room. I know right away when there is water there.

Descriptions can be deceiving. At the base of the La'tami cliffs on Aesry there is a room description that looks wet, but isn't. However, there is a room nearby that says it overlooks water, but it trips SLS.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 04:03 PM CDT
Another effect of constellation is whether they work against undead. The last time I went up against undead I ended up using Spider.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 05:25 PM CDT
Insubstantial undead? If so, we need a spell that does this during the day as well. If not, try using more mana.

Thillieir, Prophet of G'nar Peth
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 07:44 PM CDT
I haven't hunted undead for a while, and I don't remember all of the details. If I remember correctly, a lot of our offensive spells work against undead if you pump in a little extra mana. If I remember correctly, this didn't work with SLS. Some constelations didn't seem to work against undead no matter how much mana I put into it.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 08:13 PM CDT
Hmm, time to find some insubstantial undead to play with.

Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 08:21 PM CDT
SLS acts no differently then any of our other spells against undead. It doesnt work against non corporeal, and you need above minimum prep to effect other undead.

Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 08:24 PM CDT
<frown> Okay, can't step on the toes of Clerics. I wish they'd make more Shadow creatures, though, or maybe some allies from the Plane of Probability. An outpost for Moon Mages. <G>

Re: SLS Constellations 08/30/2005 08:49 PM CDT
Mongoose works best in my experience. It's super fast and hits very hard. The problem is that it's not out all year round. I did some testing at one point and found myself quite happy with magpie, which is always out. It's slower than mongoose, though, so when mongoose is up that's what I use.

Amaldur Ypress
Re: SLS Constellations 08/31/2005 12:57 AM CDT
I use wolf cause it's always out and I like the color. Kills things fine.
Re: SLS Constellations 08/31/2005 02:51 PM CDT
Colorwise I like the shrew, Rigby made a change shortly after that made the spheres abit more inline with eachother so it doesn't matter too with which constellation it uses, I personally use the magpie.

Odd point in trivia there was actually signficantly more difference in damage/accuracy before magic 2.0 but it also didn't do barely any damage at all. Its accuracy rate was insanely high however. The mongoose was extremely weak and the Centaur was the strongest of all. Was the only sphere at the time that could actually kill an adan'f effectively. Its power/acc scheme is completely different now but it has made it a much better spell.

_______
The shadows on the wall indeed ran long across the room during the late hours of the afternoon.
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 05:17 PM CDT
Easiest way to tell most water rooms:

Splash

If water is there, you'll splash about in the water.

Or best idea is not to use SLS cause it sucks.

-- Toldorf GurKct, slave to the power of Death

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the Heart
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 06:49 PM CDT
Excellent Post. Though I think the original poster was looking for some ideas to tell if a room is a water room before they actually walked in.

Also, I really like Starlight Sphere, it is killer and teaches Target like woah. Though there are a lot of limitations with the night time and no water thing, but it works wonders for me.

Rilely Strings
Progeny of Tezirah
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 07:20 PM CDT
SLS is good for TM.

Doesn't let you learn other magics in combat unless you cast it a bunch or are using it with other spells.

-Nitish

>Aim For The Heavens...

"You cut my foot off!"
"I apologize; I meant to cut off your head."
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 08:12 PM CDT
>>Doesn't let you learn other magics in combat unless you cast it a bunch or are using it with other spells.

And, on the flip side of that, you can learn great PM outside of combat with it, unlike the other two fourth-tier spells. I see SLS as a niche combat spell - it's great for us lazy types who prefer to avoid melee and are out of combat more often than not. If that's not your style, you might consider one of the other two spells.
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 08:17 PM CDT
Aside from a map from Ranik and maybe Kythryn you can't precognitively know if a room has water in it cause the room description isn't always that, well, descriptive. It'd be a good idea to maybe scout and area before using SLS so you maybe can know your boundaries for safe SLS use.

-- Toldorf GurKct, slave to the power of Death

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the Heart
Re: SLS Constellations 09/01/2005 09:38 PM CDT
Also try 'appraise water'

>touch master
You gingerly touch a gaunt shadow master. The only good master is a dead master!
Re: SLS Constellations 09/18/2005 08:41 PM CDT
I personally like Panther and Giant both seem to move very fast much much faster than Magpie to me. Although Magpie does look kewler by far, being all shadowy like

-Leonella
Re: SLS Constellations 10/06/2005 04:44 AM CDT
I prefer to use the Spider myself. I find in addition to packing a mean punch, it's also quite fast and accurate. That and the Phoenix.

Fateweaver Meerc
_
You accept Meerc's offer and are now holding a red pill.
Meerc says, "Remember, I only offer the truth."
>eat my pill
eat my pill
look

* Disconnected from the game. You will need to login again to continue playing.
Re: SLS Constellations 10/06/2005 07:15 AM CDT
I like the welkin cause it's perrty. Just wish it was year round.

Zel
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4