Re: SLS Constellations 10/15/2005 10:53 PM CDT
mongoose
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 09:35 AM CDT
Can I be a Mongoose-dog?

-Serc
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 02:36 PM CDT
Silence GIR! Do you want to wake up the whole neighborhood?
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 03:57 PM CDT
I do.

-Serc
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 05:24 PM CDT
What does the G stand for?

Fateweaver Meerc
_
You accept Meerc's offer and are now holding a red pill.
Meerc says, "Remember, I only offer the truth."
>eat my pill
eat my pill
look

* Disconnected from the game. You will need to login again to continue playing.
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 06:23 PM CDT
I remember guessing that it was for 'Generic'. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though.

With My... Incredible Eyes!
Player of Plaith
Re: SLS Constellations 10/16/2005 06:27 PM CDT
probly garbage. since that's what he's made out of. Though I honestly think the character was made up and named long before the introduction sceen was writen. GIR proby refers to him being disguised as a dog. GRRR.

-Serc
Re: SLS Constellations 01/20/2006 04:41 PM CST
I actually find the unicorn is a good one, I know most people don't like the pick color, but it hits hard, and if you advance on the creature you are attacking with the spell (from hiding, or RF are safe ways of doing this) you don't need to worry about the sphere being slow. Unicorn hits hard. Magpie definately looks the coolest
SLS Quest 01/21/2006 05:07 PM CST
I did have this lofty and misguided idea that I was going to do the quest from A-Z with no help. I'm not much of a board reader, and where I play (in Plat) is not bursting at the seams with Moon Mages who've done it already. Not being much of a board reader, all I had to go on was whatever Kssarh tells me.

Turns out that what he gives is marginally better than worthless; it covers a whole province! So I broke down and got the location from someone after about six hours of wandering streets and other less savory places.

Approximately 18 hours after getting the quest I'm still here, I can't get past the prophet, so I've pretty much given up on doing stage two without help as well, with grim prospects for the third stage, if this is the easy part.

So for the whole world to see, here it is, I'm too dumb to figure it out. I can't possibly do any more verbs (that I can remember) to either the door, the prophet, or anything in any adjoining area. Could someone take a few moments to AIM Essandriel with a big fat step-by-step Blind Prophet for Dummies?
Re: SLS Quest 01/22/2006 10:44 AM CST
Thanks to all who helped. You know who you are and some requested a condition of anonimity, so rather than enumerate all the helpful replies, I'm ordering a big fat SLS Party cake to be sent from Plat into Prime. It is a delivery service, so you'll probably have to Locate it yourself.

I've documented my trial for my own future reference, and I'm fresh from it, so the memory is still good. If anyone needs a hand within the next few days feel free to drop a line.
SLS 07/28/2007 11:28 AM CDT
Few questions about the spell.

1. Do those of you who have it like it?

2. Those of you who have it use it often?

3. I heard that it requires burn and tkt?

4. It's near my sect leader, but not learned by him?! (I haven't found who teaches, besides near theren)

5. Too difficult a spell for a Moonmage with 300 pp/pm?
Re: SLS 07/28/2007 03:57 PM CDT
>Few questions about the spell.

>1. Do those of you who have it like it?

I like it alot. Teaches magic very well and really the only way I can learn TM safely right now.

>2. Those of you who have it use it often?

Use it alot, specially when training TM

>3. I heard that it requires burn and tkt?

I believe that's correct, plus a circle (20?) and the quest.

>4. It's near my sect leader, but not learned by him?! (I haven't found who teaches, besides near theren)

Keep looking around. It's not all that obvious.

>5. Too difficult a spell for a Moonmage with 300 pp/pm?

Not at all.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: SLS 07/28/2007 08:12 PM CDT
I think it is a 40th circle minimum requirement.

Lots of people put down the spell, but honestly I think it is a very nice spell for what it does.

What other spell lets you kill 5 to 10 critters on a single 13-mana cast? That is great at 40th circle because if you don't quite have enough PP to hunt only with magic.

SLS is also nice when you are approaching wall ranks on PM and Harness. You can just let SLS to do the killing while you let your PM and Harness drain.

If I'm hunting critters that swarm a little too much for me I use SLS to pick off the extra critter. It's slow, but deadly.
Re: SLS 07/28/2007 09:54 PM CDT
I just learned SLS again. I had it with my other character and decided to relearn it again.

I think it's a great spell if you like to hunt alone. It's basically your own hunting partner that teaches you to boot.

In combination with Whole Displacement you can basically be in combat and learn targeted with no real danger to yourself. Pretty nice.
Re: SLS 07/28/2007 09:56 PM CDT
Would you recommend learning SLS if the player already knows CRS?

A fire sprite calls out to you, inviting you to journey with her.
>kiss sprite
A fire sprite leaps forward and kisses you in return, searing the flesh on your face!
Stunned for 5 seconds!
Re: SLS 07/28/2007 10:01 PM CDT
Yeah I don't see why not. I'm extremely picky about my combat spells. Like I think it's stupid to have CRS, PD, and DO.

I only have SLS, PD, Burn, and TKT. Depends on your playing style and how you RP your character I guess.
Re: SLS 07/29/2007 01:50 AM CDT
<<4. It's near my sect leader, but not learned by him?! (I haven't found who teaches, besides near theren)

<<Keep looking around. It's not all that obvious.

Its a puzzle to get to the quest giver in other words. I like to think of it as the quest before the quest. Just look for things that scream 'moon mage.' If it looks like it should be something a moon mage would have a hand in, it must be right up a moon mage's alley, yes? If you're stuck on whereabouts to look, pay close attention to what your guildleaders say. I can say from my quote from your post that you don't quite have it right. Very close, but not quite.

-Evran

<<It is important to remember that the one single and solitary common thing that is shared by the myraid of things that annoy you and tick you off and make you upset...is you. --Solomon
Re: SLS 07/29/2007 09:10 AM CDT
<< it must be right up a moon mage's alley

I like that.
Re: SLS 07/29/2007 04:01 PM CDT
I feel obligated to add that it's inside the Therenborough city limits. Meaning it's not in TC and it's not in Neer's Hummock. I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't joined someone going to do the quest who ended up being led there by yet another person.

It's a difficult series of puzzles (there are like... 5 or 6 levels of "intellectual obstacles" that need surmounting), but the quest itself is one of my favorites, second to the Infusion quest.

Confirming: prereqs are Burn, TKT, 40th circle, and quest. I didn't have TKT and couldn't get it.

As a combat spell, it is extremely effective for magical sniping (point, hide/RF, wait, decloak, retarget, recloak). It means that I can weave MBs and CRSes together much more smoothly and thus I have three forms of attack rising in a crescendo all at once.

It's beautiful.

Essential trick for overhunting is this:

1) point the sphere at target.
2) fire off CRSs to start unbalancing and leading the attack.
3) fire off an MB when the sphere reaches melee.
4) alternate CRS and MB as necessary.

If you happen to be competent with mundanes, too, then you've got yourself a PvE deadliness that surpasses at-level warrior mages. (Though it can't match Barrage.)

IIRC, I was casting it fine at 200 PM/PP.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Diarik
http://tinyurl.com/3ch2oz (Spiritweaving)

Holiness of soul lies within integrity of spirit. - Book of Eluned, Magica Bona
Re: SLS 07/29/2007 06:50 PM CDT
I suggest practicing casting spells from a rune. I hadn't used runes since I was young and I couldn't remember how to work with rune-like object.
Re: SLS 07/30/2007 10:21 AM CDT
The spell description on Eldrad's says that SLS gets weaker with cloud cover. Is this a noticeable difference? Can PG mitigate it?
Re: SLS 07/30/2007 11:51 AM CDT
I haven't noticed a big difference with cloud cover. I have always treated it as a "point and forget" spell, so I haven't payed much attention.
Re: SLS 07/30/2007 03:53 PM CDT
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

Want to feel pretty, oh so pretty?
http://enchantress.leika.googlepages.com/home
Character customization through shifts, alterations, and custom enchantments!
Re: SLS 07/30/2007 08:19 PM CDT
>>As a combat spell, it is extremely effective for magical sniping (point, hide/RF, wait, decloak, retarget, recloak).

I tried this once. The critter just upped and left the room. grumble
Re: SLS 07/31/2007 08:43 PM CDT
>>I tried this once. The critter just upped and left the room. grumble

So, try it again?

Hit it with MB. Or stay uncloaked while the sphere closes in.

Re: SLS 07/31/2007 10:42 PM CDT
>>Hit it with MB.

I'm not sure the stun would last long enough. So to keep it in the room while I'm visible, I'd need to chain-stun it. But then I might as well use DO or PD which are quicker. Unless I'm missing something.

>>Or stay uncloaked while the sphere closes in.

I still have to stay uncloaked once it reaches the target and starts attacking. I was once told that the critter won't leave once the sphere begins attacking, but if my memory isn't failing me, a critter still left on me once. Do I have advance to pole on each while in RF then?

So it just seems the only way to keep 'em coming at you while at the same time staying safe is to use WD...at night...with a moon out.

Can you tell I'm bitter out choosing the spell? :)

Mind you, I don't WD. So maybe getting that will make me forget about the niche-iness.
Re: SLS 07/31/2007 11:34 PM CDT
Calm it while the sphere closes, then MB right before the sphere starts hitting. Sphere isn't super accurate, but it's accurate enough, especially if the target is stunned, off balance, or both.

~Raecear in plat, player of

Check out http://www.drplat.com - the DragonRealms Platinum community webpage!
Re: SLS 07/31/2007 11:42 PM CDT
Coincidntally, does SLS do the "best" amount of damage per single hit of our tier 4 spells?

CRS already does considerable damage with enough mana so I cannot imagine SLS doing that much more damage... but then again SLS has a night restriction, can injure the caster, and takes half a minute to start. Almost makes me want to get TKS instead.

>kiss sprite
A fire sprite leaps forward and kisses you in return, searing the flesh on your face!
Stunned for 5 seconds!
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 01:07 AM CDT
>>Coincidntally, does SLS do the "best" amount of damage per single hit of our tier 4 spells?

I have no data, but I'd think not. CrS and PD are both highly effective and worth choosing in their own right.

SLS definitely, however, does the largest amount of damage per mana point invested. Again, you can kill five or six critters with one cast at level. This increases as you gain the skill to keep it up longer, and recasting it is really, really easy.

If you've ever played Marvel versus Capcom, check out Strider Hiryu's Ouroborus super attack.

And while I'm on the subject of Strider Hiryu, "Who can see the future? Those who make it."

Re: SLS 08/01/2007 01:20 AM CDT
Hah... I've been torn on getting SLS for a while just because of how cool I think the spell is. But mana-efficiency is merely OK, not great, since CRS does plenty of damage with moderate amounts of mana (and my PP will only increase with time).

By the way, what do you mean by "keep it longer?" I thought it stayed around at night until you were tired of it.

>kiss sprite
Stunned for 5 seconds!
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 08:33 AM CDT
>>By the way, what do you mean by "keep it longer?" I thought it stayed around at night until you were tired of it.

It doesn't. It has a duration dependent on the amount you cast it at. As far as mana effeciency, my mana is full long before I have to cast another one. Plus, I can cast other spells if I want while it floats around.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 12:54 PM CDT
<< Almost makes me want to get TKS instead.

Friends don't let friends get TKS.

Another way to use SLS is as an unbalancer. Prep a DO or PD and hit right after the SLS fires. If you want you can write a little script that has a WAITFOR and fires as soon as the SLS messaging appears
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 01:18 PM CDT
Haha... well I also don't have PD. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether to get PD, SLS or TKS. I have TKT, burn and CRS. Though this is enough, I'd like another offensive spell just for kicks.

>kiss sprite
Stunned for 5 seconds!
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 01:46 PM CDT
<<Haha... well I also don't have PD. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether to get PD, SLS or TKS. I have TKT, burn and CRS. Though this is enough, I'd like another offensive spell just for kicks.

Same boat here, leaning towards getting PD. It seems more generally usable than other spells, like CRS or burn. Plus impact damage is sexy.

-Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 02:23 PM CDT
<<Same boat here, leaning towards getting PD. It seems more generally usable than other spells, like CRS or burn. Plus impact damage is sexy.

I have both PD and CRS. I sort of regret it, especially with what looks like a new raft of spells coming. They do different types of damage, and they are most effective against different types of critters.

Of the two it seems to me that CRS is better in raw killing power, and it seems to teach TM a bit longer in critters at the low end of my TM learning range.

The thing I like about PD is the precise control. I can control both the timing and the body part. That makes PD a very nice coup de grace spell.
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 04:44 PM CDT
>>The thing I like about PD is the precise control. I can control both the timing and the body part. That makes PD a very nice coup de grace spell.

Yes. What I hate most about my spell complement is that I can't do a surgical strike. I've been giving PD serious consideration for just that fact. And it's just amusing to watch people vomit at spell messaging.

Re: SLS 08/01/2007 08:47 PM CDT
I finally broke down and learned PD as well (having already known CRS since like circle 18). I got it because I really wanted a targettable spell that worked anywhere and had no requirements. Underwater, inside, day or night, PD is there for you. It doesn't seem to have the same kind of oomph that CRS does, or even burn (yet.. maybe need more skill still), but it is always an option. As OUDER says, it's also a good finishing spell.

~Raecear in plat, player of

Check out http://www.drplat.com - the DragonRealms Platinum community webpage!
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 09:33 PM CDT
I train exclusively with PD for the following reasons:

1) As has been mentioned, there are no restrictions on casting.

2) There is no waiting for pulse (CRS, SLS) or messing with dropping/picking stuff up (TKT, TKS).

3) Because of its difficulty, it teaches magic extremely well. In fact, I learn PM/Harn about a billion times better in combat than out.

4) I keep hearing people say they don't think PD has the power of other spells, but I find it the opposite. I can consistently kill with less casts/mana investment than using other spells. YMMV.

In short, I would definitely recommend PD for high-level usage. Depending on your magic skills though, you may find other alternatives more suited to your situation.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: SLS 08/01/2007 10:33 PM CDT
In my experience, snapped PD < CRS < targeted PD.
Re: SLS 08/02/2007 09:01 AM CDT
>> Almost makes me want to get TKS instead

Nothing wrong with having both those spells, TKS and SLS. I have both, along with DO, TKT, and Burn. I find that a full prep/min/target burn can one-shot blood wolves, but spells like that are for when you have time. TKS is for when you don't have time as it is prepared to cast almost as soon as you prep it.

It is mana intensive and requires you to keep your room "clean" with only something like crossbow bolts on the floor, but if it was any other way it would be drastically overpowered, as its killing/injuring/unbalancing potential is already there.

When I am out hunting young ogres with blood wolves I use SLS, because it will effectively kill my over hunt targets, the ogres, but when I am swarmed, I do use TKS to at the very minimum unbalance/stun everything in the room.