1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 02:12 PM CDT
Since Kssarh appears to have thrown the idea of the Sun not being a source of mana...

...why can't you just use the Sun during the day?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 02:24 PM CDT
<<...why can't you just use the Sun during the day?

Now thats an idea. Instead of a cold attack, it could be fire then too.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 03:10 PM CDT
<<...why can't you just use the Sun during the day?

When this was asked before, the answer was something along the lines of focusing the 'much greater in relation to the stars' power of the sun would cause a hole in Elanthia the size of the Crossing.

... hrm. That's actually not such a bad thing. Make it so.

And lol at using the Pethians as a round-a-bout way to justify SLS during the day. /twothumbsup

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 03:14 PM CDT
I was serious.

Mostly.

Blowing up Crossing when I try and summon a SLS is an acceptable result too.

Seriously I think you must not hunt. - Verathor, who is standing at the back of the line.
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 05:17 PM CDT
"When this was asked before, the answer was something along the lines of focusing the 'much greater in relation to the stars' power of the sun would cause a hole in Elanthia the size of the Crossing."

There is quite a high population of the moonmage guild that this wouldn't nessicarly be a deterant for.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 05:36 PM CDT
Daytime SLS is non-negotiable.

May as well kick back and wait to see what changes come of the big suggestion thread we had a while ago.
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 05:43 PM CDT
Minds change. It doesn't hurt to bring it up again, particullarly when lore reasons (Which are the only way I can fathom this being non negotiable point since I can't see it as a balance issue) have changed - solar mana for example was brought up.

Seriously I think you must not hunt. - Verathor, who is standing at the back of the line.
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 05:52 PM CDT
As a player, I know there are days where my play-schedule aligns so that I never see the sun rise over Elanthia. This informs me that there are potentially players who never see nightfall.

It seems rude to limit the use of a spell based on when you can play. If SLS is so awesome that a little miniature sun or daytime starblob is off the table, maybe some penalty could be added to the daysphere to preseve some of the flavour. (closing off the Moonlight Manipulation book while daySLS is up? I have no idea. The spell seems full of penalties already)

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: SLS and Pethians 07/31/2009 06:06 PM CDT
<<The spell seems full of penalties already

It also has some unique benefits. But to be honest, those benefits don't stack quite up to the penalties. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, but we can't unlearn the spell. :/

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: SLS and Pethians 08/01/2009 07:19 AM CDT
Why Mozzik, why?
Re: SLS and Pethians 08/04/2009 07:28 AM CDT
<<It also has some unique benefits. But to be honest, those benefits don't stack quite up to the penalties. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, but we can't unlearn the spell. :/

This

But at the same time, it's not like those of us who grabbed the spell were ignorant of these pros/cons when we picked it up. All one had to do was ask about it and you would receive essentially negative comments and directions to avoid the spell.

I picked it up because it taught me TM better than anything else at the time, it was quickly rendered obsolete by PD but this is life.
Re: SLS and Pethians 08/04/2009 01:47 PM CDT
I picked it up because of the coolness factor.

Fun story: I picked up TKS because of the coolness factor back when it wasn't a spell to have. It was my second TM spell after TKT. While it still has its issues as a spell, I've noticed its become a lot more mainstream/popular than it used to be.

Hopefully SLS undergoes a similar transformation one day. Regardless, I don't regret picking it. But then I also have SHMO perma-memorized so I'm strange that way.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: SLS and Pethians 08/06/2009 06:56 AM CDT

I picked up SLS pre-2.0 back when it was so rare someone actually mistook me for a Gorbesh Enchanter

"Your toast has been burned! and no amount of scraping will remove your blackness"
-Caboose, RvB
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/01/2010 11:48 PM CST
SLS could be a really great spell. If it would keep attacking other critters without having to be pointed, could be cast during the daytime, wasn't so slow...the list goes on. In fact I'd really like to have the spell if it didn't suck so bad.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 10:36 AM CST
Consctructs teach, why can't SLS? TM and Arcana please.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 12:58 PM CST
Yes. This would make me consider getting the other of our quest spells, depending on how well it taught.

I play a trader who doesn't want to have to step off the trade route to train perception!
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 05:09 PM CST
>Yes. This would make me consider getting the other of our quest spells, depending on how well it taught.

Unless I"m misunderstanding your sentence, SHM is infinitely more useful and I can't imagine any reason for it to teach much more of any skill.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 07:47 PM CST
I do believe you're misunderstanding and that the statement was basically "I have SHM and like it, that change would make me get SLS".

Anyhow - And it says something since I have SLS and I can't say for sure - but doesn't SLS already teach TM? It use to. Just everyone hates it because it's so restricted on where you can use it and engages so slowly. Never mind all the other ways constructs are better (And should be, no doubt).

Though if you're just asking for it to teach a secondary skill like arcana... that'd be cool. Or astro. It is a STARlight Sphere, and (trace) astro in combat is already conceptually approved through SeT (Though I'm very sad that TF doesn't teach astro - given that you can't spam it under most cases or anything it should...)

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 07:51 PM CST
SLS definitely teaches TM.

I grabbed it in Test to check out how it compared to TKS/PD way back.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/02/2010 07:59 PM CST
Yeah, SLS teaches TM. It will continue to be a waste of space as long as it takes 20 seconds or whatever to even start attacking. Among other issues.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/03/2010 10:57 AM CST
Yes, I was saying that SHM is great, never bothered with SLS after reading player complaints.

Things I would like it to do:

Teach Astro/Arcana (astro please)
Engages automatically
Advances faster or keeps the same engagement that my character does
Using different constellations having different effects
* Hits from melee/pole/missile based on constellation used
* Changes damage properties
* Different engagement rules (any in room, any facing, those at melee, etc.)
* Had 'special' attacks (stuns/immobilizes/webs depending on constellation or even could be used like an AOE bomb)

It just seems that this third tier quest spell attracts a lot of dissatisfaction, and I'd like to see it tweaked so that it adds nice flavor to MM hunting.

I play a trader who doesn't want to have to step off the trade route to train perception!
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/03/2010 04:04 PM CST
I will say this about SLS:

It creates glowy orbs and launches them at your opponent in ways few spells can match (namely, spells that also create glowy spheres and launch them at your foe).

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/03/2010 07:23 PM CST
It's actually 4th tier, which makes it even sadder.

Hopefully once Risen are done and Magic 3.0 comes out it might be a spell worth knowing.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/03/2010 11:49 PM CST
a half spell will never be worth a whole spell slot, sorry

-Strk
Re: SLS and Pethians 02/06/2010 02:11 PM CST
I seem to be in the grand minority that love SLS, I always have. Even when it definitely wasn't worth the spell slot (magic 1.0). Thought it was so rare back in those days it turned heads having it. I got accused of being a gorbesh enchanter once or twice, good times.

It teaches TM great, it just takes a longer than most people want for it to kill. It can only be used at night which greatly reduces its effectiveness.

Although I'm a bit of an odd one for a moonie. I actually hate SHM and wish I could undo it. Spell requires me to stay in one room for it to be effective :( would much rather shift a beam onto someone if there close enough and DG

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
1 2 4 Next Next_page