Prev_page Previous 1 3
Titles 09/02/2005 02:54 PM CDT
Anybody notice that Battle Empath and Kaith Partani are listed three times each on the website, under empaths of course?

Also, why must parry be a required skill to get battle empath? It's too easy to forget and swing at something, especially if your tired and a premie with multiple characters.. not that I'm actually making that as an excuse... but several times I've almost crossed that line... by mistake
Re: Titles 09/02/2005 03:05 PM CDT
The multiple listings thing's been gone over before, something to the effect that it's got something to do with the mechanics of how the title's implemented...it's going to be changed so that it only appears once.

As for the other part of your question...one of the ways of obtaining the title is to have shield meet or exceed the minimum requirement while parry is below it...so you could get it with zero parry skill if you train shield instead.

Hope that helps.
-Master Healer Karthor
Re: Titles 09/02/2005 08:31 PM CDT
<<It's too easy to forget and swing at something, especially if your tired and a premie with multiple characters.. not that I'm actually making that as an excuse... but several times I've almost crossed that line... by mistake >>

Personally, I take out my weapon then start my Empath safe brawling script. Once it's running I don't touch the keyboard except to change my stances up or go into sleep mood as needed. That keeps me from forgetting who I am and taking a swing at something.

~Nexty
Re: Titles 09/02/2005 09:58 PM CDT
>>Also, why must parry be a required skill to get battle empath? It's too easy to forget and swing at something, especially if your tired and a premie with multiple characters.. not that I'm actually making that as an excuse... but several times I've almost crossed that line... by mistake

I've never crossed that line ever, and parry SHOULD be a required skill to get a Battle Empath title. Parry is an awsome skill to have in the field, and opens up another layer of defense for you while you are hunting, just like shield will do, and evasion and armor do. As long as you never type in ATTACK or JAB or SLICE, you should be fine. Some Empaths don't want parry and thats fine, but to me a true Battle Empath should have Evasion, parry and shield as reqs to it.

~Villya

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
--Albert Einstein
Re: Titles 09/02/2005 10:22 PM CDT
Parry is okay. Shield and evasion own parry rank for rank though.

Moving stealthily, you manage to grab an origami-paper envelope right from underneath a sales clerk's very nose.

~Purehand
Re: Titles 09/03/2005 02:57 AM CDT
>>Parry is okay. Shield and evasion own parry rank for rank though.

Yeah but when combined they are so much better. Evasion and shield are better, but why would you compromise yourself when you can have one more layer of defense? Each time you go into combat you get checked at all three levels which are: Shield, Parry, Evasion, in that order. Parry comes in handy too because sometimes because it helps build multi faster.

To me, to take out one layer of defense that is so easy to learn with any weapon is just rediculous. Plus you get more TDPs.

I don't see why this can't be part of the reqs for Battle Empath, if anything it makes it so the Battle Empath is much more well rounded

~Villya

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
--Albert Einstein
Re: Titles 09/03/2005 03:40 AM CDT
>Each time you go into combat you get checked at all three levels which are: Shield, Parry, Evasion, in that order.

Evasion is always checked first, after that, Parry or Shield, depending on how your stances are set. Whichever is just below evasion when you type 'stance' is the second defense checked.

Shield checked first:
You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 70% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 10% of your weapon parry skill.

Parry checked first:
You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 70% of your weapon parry skill.
You are currently using 10% of your shield block skill.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Titles 09/03/2005 09:04 AM CDT
that's why my hunting scripts for all my characters are named exactly the same... start the script, let it run... no... "oops that's the wrong script... shock..." or oh crap this is my empath, NOOOOO

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Titles 09/03/2005 10:12 AM CDT
thats why i only use one combat script for my empath.

for all the rest of my characters have a number of scripts based on the weapon, but my empath only uses one of them, regardless of the weapon i use to parry with.

my others use .brawl.

my empaths use .brawlemp

that way i'm sure they won't get shock.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Titles 09/03/2005 05:54 PM CDT
If you're running multiple instances, or even just working an Empath in the field and wanting to make sure you can tell the difference...color the background a different color...like, pink, for fluffy :duck:

But that's how I have it. I use a different color background for all my characters so I know which one I'm on by the color I see.

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

You tap a pair of leather pants with a grey and a navy blue handkerchief stuffed in the right pocket that you are wearing.
Re: Titles 09/04/2005 06:52 AM CDT
Ow, doesn't that give you a killer headache?

I can't stand anything but black fixedsys font text on a plain white background. All else gives me eye-strain or a weird headache.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Battle Empath Titles 09/13/2005 11:34 PM CDT
I see that the title of Battle Empath is listed 3 times, with different requirements. Which is the correct one?

Such untamed mystery
Of which blows against the pines
It is the dance
With the grace of the stars
It is the sway
With the light of the moon
And it carries such delight

^ Mystery's Delight ^
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/13/2005 11:47 PM CDT
They're all correct.

Look closer at the requirements. They appear three times in the system because they have to, and the lists are built automatically.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/13/2005 11:54 PM CDT
Well, according to what's posted it seems to conflict each other. While the empathy, FA, eva and survival reqs are the same.. shield and parry are mixed.. What are you supposed to do? Pick one and train according to that and you get the title? While the first two I can see are interchangable, the third conflicts with the first two.

Battle Empath
At least 70 in Parry Ability
Less than 69 in Shield Usage

Battle Empath
At least 70 in Shield Usage
Less than 69 in Parry Ability

Battle Empath
At least 70 in Parry Ability
At least 70 in Shield Usage

Such untamed mystery
It is the dance
It is the sway

^ Mystery's Delight ^
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/13/2005 11:56 PM CDT
It allows Empaths to substitute shield for parry or visa versa.

The third is to make sure people with 70 in both don't get excluded from having the title.

"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/14/2005 12:10 AM CDT
Heh, ok. Looking at it from a "code" stand point, it makes perfect logical sense... and I code in C... should've picked up on that...

Such untamed mystery
It is the dance
It is the sway

^ Mystery's Delight ^
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/14/2005 08:46 AM CDT
Battle Empath
At least 140 in Empathy
At least 100 in Evasion
At least 120 in First Aid
At least 70 in Shield and/or Parry Usage
At least 500 in Total of Valid Survival (w/o Stealing)

It's IN the computer? It's so simple!

~Purehand
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/14/2005 04:55 PM CDT
>>I see that the title of Battle Empath is listed 3 times, with different requirements. Which is the correct one?

OR exists in GSL, but it's not used in the SBT. That would have required a rewrite of the base system, and Obseden wasn't about to do that for a system that was maybe just-released at the time the parry/shield issue came to light (that'd be like rewriting P5 because Reexa forgot include space in the guildhall for an autopath).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/14/2005 05:20 PM CDT
The list is for people, not the system, so who cares about SBT, TBS, STD or whatever else not accepting 'or'statements. Simplify the listing.

Let the rabbits wear glasses.

~Purehand
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/19/2005 01:15 AM CDT
For Titles Phase II, Battle Empath and Kaith Partani will both be changed to use "Highest Defensive Skill", which will allow me to drop them from 3 to 1 entry each and will let you use Parry, Evasion or Shield.

For those curious, I hadn't thought to put in a "Highest Defensive Skill" option for Titles Phase I.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/19/2005 07:18 AM CDT
So if I read that right...
you need 100 in evasion, parry, OR shield
and 70 in one of the two remaining skills

correct?

Souv

Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/19/2005 02:29 PM CDT
>So if I read that right...

That's what I read as well and it can't be right. That would mean you could be a battle empath with less than 100 evasion and that has to be the primary defense for an empath.
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/19/2005 02:47 PM CDT
<<That's what I read as well and it can't be right. That would mean you could be a battle empath with less than 100 evasion and that has to be the primary defense for an empath.

And you say that why?

Mole
_______
At 1.0000001 with the Universe
Re: Battle Empath Titles 09/19/2005 02:57 PM CDT
<< And you say that why?

Because it's Sakhara and he has an incredibly rigid (not to mention skewed) idea of what it means to be any guild/race/title.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhar's definition of RP is erroneous
Magic Titles 12/21/2005 06:21 PM CST
Hi I'm not an Empath, well most of the time. But... It seems to me that Empaths should be allowed to get the magic titles without TM counting towards the lowest or highest magic. Since empaths have no way to train TM other than listening to a class and it does not count towards circle requirements. I think it would be a good idea to open those titles up to them without TM being counted... cause I certainly know a few empaths that are witches but aren't able to display that title... Anyway just an idea.

Oh and can I have Magical Devices Novice since I have 90% in it?

Lancel

"The strength of an Army lies in strict discipline and undeviating obedience to its officers."
- Thucydides, "History of The Peloponnesian War", book 2, 404 BC
Re: Magic Titles 12/21/2005 06:35 PM CST
I like that idea. A lot of empath's have massive skill in magic, but when you count their skill in TM it throws everything off.

Hawaiian Word of the Week: Merry Christmas

Mele Kalikimaka (Mell-eh Kah-leekee-mahkah)
Re: Magic Titles 12/21/2005 08:20 PM CST
Yea all my magics are 150++ and my targetting is 12 :\

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Magic Titles 12/21/2005 08:24 PM CST
Didn't EMA used to teach target? I still can't understand why that was taken away. If anything there should be more non-harmful spells out there that teach target.

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Magic Titles 12/21/2005 11:37 PM CST
>Didn't EMA used to teach target? I still can't understand why that was taken away. If anything there should be more non-harmful spells out there that teach target.

EMA teaching Target was a joke since success was not based on TM (i.e. affecting Adan'f with 5 ranks of TM).

Until all offensive spells require TM then only damaging spells should teach it (right now we have the exception of Divine Radiance but I believe that's slated to be looked at).

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 09:42 AM CST
I'm also on the bandwagon for letting TM not affect our magic. It doesn't affect our overall magic, so why should we be penalized for not having it concerning titles. To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, every other guild that uses magic has a TM spell, and so it shouldn't be a big deal

Souv

Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 09:52 AM CST
>and please correct me if I'm wrong, every other guild that uses magic has a TM spell

Actually it's just the three magic primary guilds, clerics, moon mages and war mages. Its classified as a magic prime goodie, which is why they're so irritated over the incredibly effective magic tert destructive spells, because they're better than the TM spells at the same ranks. Oops.
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 10:33 AM CST
Keep in mind that exceptions made for the Empath Guild because of things that don't count or can't be learned easily will apply across the board. Why should a barbarian be exempt from Empath titles because they can't learn empathy, or a paladin be punished because they can't learn stealing, or a trader because they don't cast spells?

You aren't prohibited from learning TM, it's just harder. I disagree that it shouldn't be counted for titles.

GM Reexa

Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 10:40 AM CST
>You aren't prohibited from learning TM, it's just harder.

Are there any plans for this changing since TM is exclusively a damage dealing skill?
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 11:59 AM CST
As far as I'm aware, there are no plans to change TM from being actively learned by casting offense spells.

GM Reexa

Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 01:02 PM CST
>there are no plans to change TM from being actively learned by casting offense spells.

No, are we ever going to get permanent shock until we somehow 'unlearn' TM?
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 01:11 PM CST
<<No, are we ever going to get permanent shock until we somehow 'unlearn' TM?>>

Sigh...

No, you don't and won't get shock for having ranks in TM. Just like you don't get shock for having ranks in weapon skills.

This message is a public service announcement directed at everybody else who might mistakenly be paying attention to Sakhara.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 01:12 PM CST
<<>there are no plans to change TM from being actively learned by casting offense spells.

<<No, are we ever going to get permanent shock until we somehow 'unlearn' TM?>>

Are you ever going to stop being ridiculous? It isn't knowledge that causes shock. There are many Empaths out there with weapon skills. It's all in how you use that knowledge. TM is still used (from what I recall) in some vs spells - so sit in a class and learn it if it suits you or if you really want some title that requires all magics (including TM) to be at x, otherwise - enjoy your spells and abilities. The world is not out to get you.

Well - maybe you , but not you. ;-)

~Chris
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 01:25 PM CST
>It isn't knowledge that causes shock. There are many Empaths out there with weapon skills.

Yes, and paladins can't circle or regain soul if they have stealing ranks, even if they got it from a class. I would guess that weapons ranks would be next, even if they were gained from a class.

<sarcasm> Something needs to be done to keep empaths from taking over everything in the realms, since we'd be the most powerful, dangerous and destructive guild in the whole realms if it weren't for shock.</sarcasm>

Allowing empaths TM and weapons ranks just means that those empaths who do choose to get shocked might actually do some real damage to someone, which isn't fair to the person they actually do take a swing at.
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 01:48 PM CST
Don't do drugs.

That is all.

~Purehand
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 02:09 PM CST
>Allowing empaths TM and weapons ranks just means that those empaths who do choose to get shocked might actually do some real damage to someone, which isn't fair to the person they actually do take a swing at.

Actually I find it incredibly hilarious when someone actually gets hurt/killed when an empath takes a swing at them. If someone who can actually train combat skills effectively (i.e without having to make the critters run off when they get too numerous, or hope they kill each other off before they do get too numberous) gets hurt, or worse killed, by an empath I just find it great, and incredibly entertaining. Maybe I'm twisted, but for me its like David & Goliath.

Hawaiian Word of the Week: Merry Christmas

Mele Kalikimaka (Mell-eh Kah-leekee-mahkah)
Prev_page Previous 1 3