Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 03:08 PM CST
If I ever thought I could one hit kill someone, AND they gave me probable cause, I'd be a shock victim. It would have to be really severe probably cause, but I could see myself drawing steel against them. However, I'd have to be guaranteed to kill them since I'd be incapacitated for 3-4 minutes afterwords, and they'd better not have any friends around to kill me in return. Anything less and it's not a fight to me, it's martyrdom

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 04:04 PM CST
>> It would have to be really severe probably cause, but I could see myself drawing steel against them.

Forget steel.

Splash with naphtha and wave a scheelite rod at them.

You don't even get the penalty for PC killing shock if you do that, even if they die from the fire/wounds afterward.

I'll admit there's something artistic, aesthetically pleasing and rather ego-boosting about exploding someone's chest with a claymore (or their head with your fist), but PC killing shock is rather steep.

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Magic Titles 12/22/2005 07:41 PM CST
TM titles aside, short of dying a lot can we just wipe our TM knowledge from our mind? At best I'd like it to stop weighing down my average.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Magic Titles 12/23/2005 03:44 PM CST
>>TM titles aside, short of dying a lot can we just wipe our TM knowledge from our mind? At best I'd like it to stop weighing down my average.

There's only one way to remove skills for anyone above circle 1, and I don't believe you'd be willing to use it.

Besides, if it's weighing down your average now with X ranks then it will be worse if you have 0 ranks.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Magic Titles 12/23/2005 03:58 PM CST
>Besides, if it's weighing down your average now with X ranks then it will be worse if you have 0 ranks.

Not necesarily. When you have no knowledge in a given skill you get the message "You currently have no experience in this ability!" or something like that.

Wouldn't that take it completely out of the average?

Hawaiian Word of the Week: Merry Christmas

Mele Kalikimaka (Mell-eh Kah-leekee-mahkah)
Re: Magic Titles 12/23/2005 04:55 PM CST
Nah, with 0 TM you actually get your total magic ranks divided by 4 instead of 5 since TM won't show up when you type EXP MAGIC.

I guess I'll just have to get my TM to 100 via lots of WM classes :-P

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Magic Titles 12/23/2005 08:25 PM CST
With my baby empath...

Magic Average: 31 (Total: 159 in 5 included skills)

Targeted Magic: 0 00% clear

Even if you had 0 TM still, your average wouldn't change.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 07:23 AM CST
Hey everyone...

Even though EXP may say one way or another (out of 5 or out of 4), what I or Towint do to one will not affect the other.

Both systems look directly at your skills and calculate according to that.

In the case of Magic skills, where all skills must be above X amount, I cheated during coding. I found the lowest of the five skills and checked that.

And I am with Reexa, I have no plans to remove the TM requirement from the general magic spells. The Empath specific magic spells do not require TM (or at least shouldn't), but to put in a specific exception for Empaths devalues the title for others. Also, the other magic secondary guilds have a similar problem with TM, and, IMO, have a harder time with PM and Harness, especially at early levels.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 09:55 AM CST
I think we call all agree that TM in it's current form is broke. However, no one can argue (and I believe Solomon posted some numbers one time) that empaths use tremendously more magic than anyone else in the lands, yet we are a lore prime guild. That is due to our guild's nature. I'm fine with that. It seems to me though, that the entire "magic" title list devalues us as spellcasters though, just because it requires a skill that isn't in the ordinary course of our magic.
I've no doubt that if TM was out of the equation completely, there would be more empaths with the titles than any other guild (perhaps even put together) Now perhaps an exception isn't the way to go, Maybe it needs to be based on a magic average instead of a lowest skill. Getting an average of 200 isn't a whole lot different than having 200 in your lowest skill. In essence, you will me making it slightly easier, but I believe it is more equitable to everyone. While this will still cripple empaths due to the fact that we don't have any TM spells, it will at least give the empath an option to train TM via classes, while at the same time, not excluding the titles completely for someone who does not wish to learn 200 ranks of TM sitting in a class.
Personally, I have sat in classes for days to learn 20 ranks of a given skill that I couldn't learn directly. It's a very poor way to spend one's time. I can't fathom trying to go from 0-200 just by sitting in classes over any period of time, especially with a skill so hard to learn as TM, much less finding a teacher with enough patience to sit with you long enough to get good learning and sacrifice their time as well.
I understand completely that compromises have to be made somewhere. I hope you will look at the possible solution I have detailed and give your opinions.

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 08:33 PM CST
>However, no one can argue (and I believe Solomon posted some numbers one time) that empaths use tremendously more magic than anyone else in the lands, yet we are a lore prime guild.

I think what you meant to say was, that noone can argue that we DON'T use tremendously more magic. Solomon's post was to the effect that Empaths cast the most spells of any guild.

Obseden, Reexa, I can understand not wanting to have a double standard for those titles--everyone else needs high marks in all five skills so it's only fair that no exception be made. But on the other hand, Empaths have no direct way to train TM at all so there is a fair argument that it is Empaths who are in fact being held to a higher standard. Are there TM spells for Bards, Paladins and Rangers? How do they train TM? In any event, speaking personally, the titles we are missing out on (Witch/Warlock, a handful of others) aren't terribly appealing anyway.

Which leads me to my idea on how to adress this. Paladins have their own magic category titles, and they too are magic secondary, so why not empaths as well? The answer is to add magic titles for empaths, not necessarily loosen the requirements for the existing titles. Titles linked to knowing certain Empath spells would be awesome:

Lethargist/Ennervator
Tourniquet
Antidote
Vaccinator
Cardiomancer
Regenerator
Revitalizer

What do you think?
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 10:51 PM CST
<<Are there TM spells for Bards, Paladins and Rangers?>>

No.

<<How do they train TM?>>

They don't. Well, okay so... There are classes and runestones, but that's about it. Most everybody who isn't a warmie, moonie, or cleric has absolutely abysmal TM.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix

PS: Oh my god they're called IMs. They're not pigeons. Nor are they pidgeons or pidgions or pidgins.
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 11:02 PM CST
Training is more viable for those guilds by virtue of scrolls, runestones, and wands, though...Which we do not have access to.

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 11:13 PM CST
>Antidote

I want to be Antidote Etrina!!!!

>There are classes and runestones, but that's about it.

That was the entire point, or so I thought. Every other guild at least has a way to USE targetted magic to learn it, whether it be through scrolls or runes or a spell they can choose. All TM spells are damage spells, which means they all cause shock for empaths. Not any more realistic for training TM than sitting in a class for 3 weeks.

I do like Farman's idea. Give Nausikaa, Purehand, Mya, Sophie, Xochie, Xoine(she is still around, isnt she?) and the others a way to "brag" about their skill in magic. So what if they don't have 200 in TM if they've got twice that in all the others.

Re: Magic Titles 12/24/2005 11:20 PM CST
<<That was the entire point, or so I thought. Every other guild at least has a way to USE targetted magic to learn it, whether it be through scrolls or runes or a spell they can choose. All TM spells are damage spells, which means they all cause shock for empaths. Not any more realistic for training TM than sitting in a class for 3 weeks.>>

That all depends on whether you consider runestones and scrolls to be viable methods of training TM. Those'd be some damn expensive ranks, considering a FS rune costs 2 gold. Last time I tried to train TM using a rune, I didn't get past learning by the time it crumbled--as a magic tert, on a wall, with all of 7 ranks in the skill. I cringe to imagine how many wagonfuls of plat it would cost me to get TM even up to 100.

Sitting in a class for 3 weeks is far, far more realistic, in my view.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

PS: Oh my god they're called IMs. They're not pigeons. Nor are they pidgeons or pidgions or pidgins.
Re: Magic Titles 12/25/2005 12:01 AM CST
I wanna be a Blood Flusher.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Magic Titles 12/25/2005 01:55 AM CST
Adding titles that have different types of conditions required in order to obtain them is entirely possible...the titles system is still being expanded, and there's lots of room for growth.

I just don't agree with changing the requirements for an existing title because it's more difficult for an empath to get it, especially since getting it is possible. Hard? yes...but possible.

GM Reexa

Re: Magic Titles 12/25/2005 02:23 AM CST
Pink Fluffy Bunny

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Magic Titles 12/25/2005 02:02 PM CST
Edit: Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom

I can see it now...

[Empaths' Guild, Main Room]
This is the headquarters of the Empaths' Guild. Here healers both novice and experienced gather to share techniques, methods, the latest information on healing, transferring and application of herbs. There is a small but modern library to the east. You also see an Empath renown scroll, some smoothly worked stairs of golden oak, a bucket of viscous gloop, and an Empath donation shelf with some stuff on it.
Also here: Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Clemency, Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Sypria, Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Villya, Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Etrina, Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Mikiri (Muahaha!), Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Airako, Pink Fluffy Bunny of Doom Celinth, and alot of other random people mistakenly thinking they're in the Empath's guildhall and are actually going to get healed...

Re: Magic Titles 12/26/2005 12:56 PM CST
I would never wear that title..

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Magic Titles 12/26/2005 01:25 PM CST
<<Which leads me to my idea on how to adress this. Paladins have their own magic category titles, and they too are magic secondary, so why not empaths as well?>>

Not to dodge the discussion - but Paladins are magic tert, like Rangers. So if you're trying to get magic titles for Empaths based on the magic titles for Paladins (because you believe they too, are secondary) then you need to change your argument. Beyond that, I don't have anything against Empaths getting magic titles that would omit TM, but I still disagree with getting current titles that require a certain level of TM made available to Empaths without it.

~Chris
Re: Magic Titles 12/26/2005 08:35 PM CST
>Paladins are magic tert, like Rangers.

Shows you how often I play the other guilds these days :P

But that actually supports my argument even more strongly. Why should a magic tert guild have guild-specific magic category titles while a guild (Empaths) higher on the magic food chain doesn't?
Re: Magic Titles 12/26/2005 09:59 PM CST
>Why should a magic tert guild have guild-specific magic category titles while a guild (Empaths) higher on the magic food chain doesn't?

'Cause the Paladin GMs love their guildies more then the Empth GMs? *hides in the "Narnia Cabinet"*

Re: Magic Titles 12/27/2005 01:35 AM CST
Techincally that was like stepping into the misty void which would be synonymous with death?

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Magic Titles 12/27/2005 03:01 AM CST
Just to add a note to the discussion, please be sure to remember that the three titles you're discussing are not new titles. They weren't created for the new system; new rules were applied to the conditions of how one achieves those old titles.

GM Reexa

Re: Magic Titles 12/27/2005 07:53 AM CST
<<But that actually supports my argument even more strongly. Why should a magic tert guild have guild-specific magic category titles while a guild (Empaths) higher on the magic food chain doesn't?>>

If these titles (Marshal, Lord Marshal, and Lady Marshal) were moved to the paladin guild title list instead of being in the magic list, would you still have a problem with them? Empaths have Life Mage, Life Weaver, and Biomancer, all of which are magic titles (in that they require a significant amount of magic training), but are on the empath list instead of the magic list.

Is this really all about which title category the titles reside in?

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Magic Titles 12/27/2005 07:31 PM CST
>If these titles (Marshal, Lord Marshal, and Lady Marshal) were moved to the paladin guild title list instead of being in the magic list, would you still have a problem with them? Empaths have Life Mage, Life Weaver, and Biomancer, all of which are magic titles (in that they require a significant amount of magic training), but are on the empath list instead of the magic list.

I don't have any problem with those paladin titles. I didn't in any way mean to imply that other guilds should have titles taken away from them--far from it. The empath titles you mention are indeed awesome, but reflect a very high level of skill, 75th circle or so. My point is just that it would be nice if there were some magicky titles available for lower circled players too (ie, the majority).
Re: Magic Titles 12/28/2005 09:30 AM CST
I don't really see how the current titles with target reqs are really suitable for empaths anyway. I mean, I >guess< some of them like Hag, Crone or Witch could describe some empaths, but not really (and it's not like any of us are going to see the 200 circles of magics Hag or Crone titles require anyway). There are plenty for us in the primary magic category without target reqs.

I say, just add more titles.

>casts his ballot and dips his finger in ink

~Purehand
Re: Magic Titles 01/22/2006 04:56 PM CST
> I don't really see how the current titles with target reqs are really suitable for empaths anyway. I mean, I guess< some of them like Hag, Crone or Witch could describe some empaths, but not really (and it's not like any of us are going to see the 200 circles of magics Hag or Crone titles require anyway). There are plenty for us in the primary magic category without target reqs.

I say, just add more titles.

>casts his ballot and dips his finger in ink

~Purehand >

The Hag is one of Asketi's titles which would fit right in with playing a negative aspect empath.

Sophrona
Re: Magic Titles 01/22/2006 05:24 PM CST
I wouldn't mind having Eylhaar's Handmaiden made into an Empath title...would certainly fit my Empath :)

You ask, "Who wants cake?"
>
Cayene says, "I'm good."
>
Cayene suddenly looks rather queasy.
Re: Magic Titles 01/22/2006 07:15 PM CST
I still want 'Empath Emeritus' or 'Bitter Old'.

~Purehand
Re: Magic Titles 01/22/2006 09:33 PM CST
Bitter Old sounds good!

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2006 09:09 AM CST
Hag and Crone sound like perfect titles for 90% of the empaths I know :)

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2006 10:14 AM CST
Hag sounds like a good one for someone you know too.

~Villya

-H. L. Mencken
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2006 06:47 PM CST
Hag Villya hands a burning willow stick to Croney Souv.

Dare to be Different:

You have elegant arched eyebrows, pointed ears, ale-brown eyes and a wart-tipped nose.

Missing Tooth for Free! contact AIM: Iamempres

Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2006 10:46 AM CST
I'd probably smack him with it first, but I like the Hag thing..I wish I could get that title.

~Villya

-H. L. Mencken
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2006 11:03 AM CST
you'd make a great hag Villya. and I'm not a croney, I'm a hermit

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2006 12:23 PM CST
Your not a hermit either, actually, I have the perfect one, but I'll save it for another time.

~Villya

-H. L. Mencken
Second Wave of Titles 04/21/2007 01:49 PM CDT
Two things:

1) Any ETA on our second wave of guild titles? Some guilds are working on their fourth wave already. Very few have not received new titles (traders...and bards maybe?)

2) Title Suggestion:

Life Shaman
500 ranks of Empathy
500 ranks in Primary Magic

I validate the use of shaman for this purpose:
dictionary definition:
shaman
noun
in societies practicing shamanism: one acting as a medium between the visible and spirit worlds; practices sorcery for healing or divination

I just think that would be a great upper level magic and healing title - so I digress.

I took the liberty to go through the recommended titles for the guild posted in the past 2 years:

Empath titles:
Crisis Expert
Triage Marvel
Trauma Prodigy
Miracle Worker
Emotion Bender
Placater
Pacifist
Manipulator
Influencer
Will Bender
Negotiator
Confidante
Puppet Master
Colluder
Turtle Watcher
Sleeper
Animal Charmer
Beast Tamer
Ship's (Healer|Apothecary|Medic|Empath)
Befriender
Charmer
Animal Tamer
Will Shaper
Critter Bait (or just Bait) [low combat skills]
Combat Healer
Guardian of Life/Life Guardian
Champion of Life/Life Champion
Life Sustainer
Death Repeller
Cheater of Death
Health Preserver
Mind Uniter
Knowledge Receptacle
Antidote
Remedy
Honored Empath
Honored Healer
Truthseeker
War Healer
Perceiver
Lady Empath/Lord Empath
Purifier
Caravan tender
Pet healer
Horse doctor
Animal doctor
Veterinarian
Retired Empath
Empath Emeritus
Wound Master
Blood Master
Tough Guy/Girl
Pain Tolerant
Martial Empath
Martial Healer
Martial
Scar Boy/Girl or Scarred
Death Repellent
Lethargist/Ennervator
Tourniquet
Antidote
Vaccinator
Cardiomancer
Regenerator
Revitalizer
Energy's Bane
Blood Flusher
Elite Combat Empath
Combat Elitest
Big Shot Empath
Hermetic
Impervious
Shockless
War Consultant
Battle Counsel
Conflict Specialist
Reconciler
Peace Monger
Lead Battle Empath
Front Line Healer
Triage Strategist
Triage Specialist
Combat Mitigater
Battlefront Manipulator
Empathic Crusader
Antipath
General Practicioner
Anesthesiologist
Triage Commander
Shadowmender
Medical Theorist
Life Seeker
Molifier
Palliator
Assuage
Will Breaker
Life Protector
Life Defender
Life's Watchman
Death Foiler
Hodierna's Fist
Chirurgeon (medieval surgeons, or so says Nhia)
Professor of Medicine
Shadow Healer
Spook Healer (undead healing based)
Blood Whisperer
Shadow Manipulator
Shadow's Touch
Shadowy Caress
Hidden Healer
Unseen Savior
Healerie Stalker
Hospital Lurker
Pill Pusher
Fever Reducer
Plague Eater
Wound Thief
Plague's End
Niliaevat Raeshisen (Field Empath)
Vultloa Raeshisen (Warrior Empath)
Nagara Raeshisen (Fierce Empath)
Toucher
Feeler
Touchy Feely
Tip Gatherer
Patcher-Upper
Heart Turner
Warm Hand
Respite
Painkiller
Wound Farmer
Wound Jockey
Wound Collector
Masochist
Bloodseeker
Painseeker
Pain Master/Mistress
Bloodworm Rancher
Gore Dancer
Stainmaster
Tingler
Masseur/Masseusse
Massage Artist
Field Surgeon
Sanitation Advisor [ok some of you are a bit messed up]
Health Crusader
Stretcher Bearer
Peacenik
Noncombatant
Observer
Pharmacist
Clinician
Bloodlifter

Shocked*/*Non*/*Scar Titles:
Withdrawn
Fallen Empath
Callous
Dispassionate
Hardhearted
Indifferent
Phlegmatic
Bitter Old
Shamed Empath
Outcast Empath
Shocked
Blinded
Tainted
Blighted
Memory of Pain
Forever Tainted
Pristine
Innocent

Shifting Titles:
Barber
Hairdresser
Beautician
Cosmetologist
Optician (has eye shift options)
Plastic Surgeon (has body shift options)
Gender Bender
Flesh Sculptor
Life Sculpter
Life Shaper
Warper

It's been almost 1 full year since we were told "In a month or two..."

I love the guild, but I feel like there are some things we are missing out on. I don't know how difficult the process for titles is, but it would just be nice to have a new grouping of titles.

Thanks.

(steps down off podium)

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: Second Wave of Titles 04/21/2007 05:46 PM CDT
Awesome, thanks for compiling a list like that Raud. I wanted to, but you know, with my laziness and whatnot... I'm also not so pumped that I have 416 average in non-target magic skills and I have fewer than 10 titles in the magic/primary categories.

I definitely don't want to go 'war mage' on the criminal title, but I would love to have some that show prowess in stealth and/or stealing. Shadow's Touch on that list is pretty sweet, maybe a high stealth title (300 hiding/stalking). Maybe something for aspiring thieves - Herb Nicker - 60 stealing.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: Second Wave of Titles 04/21/2007 06:11 PM CDT
definately a comprehensive list... titles are supposed to be easy to add, so can we get some to satisfy our desire for new thingies?

>assist request to bug Reexa for no good reason whatsoever
>assist position
You are number 1 in the premium assist queue.

SEND[Reexa] Boohiss!

>snicker
You snicker.