Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 02:38 PM CDT
<<The shop should be opened up more often but I'd like for it to close often as well.>>

For everything involved, I could meet halfway and agree with that.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 02:41 PM CDT
I doubt this entire limited availability of War Paint would be an issue at all if the shop opened up more than it does currently.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 02:49 PM CDT
That's quite possible, but it still leads to the exact same thing - the lucky few who had the coin, knowledge, and time to stock up have an unlimited supply while everyone else is left out in the cold.

The pulzone lands a powerful strike that pokes the steel-tipped pulzone into the gryphon's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
The steel-tipped pulzone lodges itself shallowly into the forest gryphon!
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 04:09 PM CDT
>>Comparison of the two is the same as comparing apples to oranges.

True. I just meant I have the same opinion of both situations, not that the situations are identical.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 04:53 PM CDT
There's no crying in being a Barbarian. I would rather be good at stuff and not have to rely on paint, ale, roar helms, cloaks or pretty much anything to make me better.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training

Fight me!
http://maulem.mybrute.com
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 05:14 PM CDT
>>There's no crying in being a Barbarian. I would rather be good at stuff and not have to rely on paint, ale, roar helms, cloaks or pretty much anything to make me better.

^This.

To me, it's nice to know that we have unique stuff out there, I'd like to see more along those lines, but I definitely don't want any of it to be so common that it becomes the default rather than the occasional exception.

Ogdaro
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." - W. C. Fields
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 05:32 PM CDT
>>There's no crying in being a Barbarian. I would rather be good at stuff and not have to rely on paint, ale, roar helms, cloaks or pretty much anything to make me better.

^This.

>>To me, it's nice to know that we have unique stuff out there, I'd like to see more along those lines, but I definitely don't want any of it to be so common that it becomes the default rather than the occasional exception.

Thank you both, that was what I was trying to say. :)

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/11/2009 06:57 PM CDT
<<There's no crying in being a Barbarian. I would rather be good at stuff and not have to rely on paint, ale, roar helms, cloaks or pretty much anything to make me better.>>

It's not about being a Barbarian or not. It's about the time investment involved with proposing an idea, building an idea, creating the idea and then it not being used. That's just flat out retarded to me.

I absolutely agree. I would love to have Barbarians be focused on their TRUE selves as it should be.

However, I'm a realist. Warpaint as a system is presented to us. At least one person (Iayn) worked hard on it when players asked for many years of warpaint and various other things (remember warhorns?). While I may disagree with some of the very screwy things that Iayn created with the warpaint system, I'm sure he did the best he could to give us all what we asked for from his perspective.

I'm all for moving forward with the focus on having Barbarian development be on building themselves up via buffs directly from the Barbarian or hexing others via roars - in fact, I asked for that. However, warpaint is already there and should be there for the entire guild IF they make the choice to take it. I don't think I'm asking for much - open up the warpaint shop for the time being. If it can't happen, it's not the end of the world, but I don't think it's too much to ask for.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 12:06 AM CDT
<<There's no crying in being a Barbarian. I would rather be good at stuff and not have to rely on paint, ale, roar helms, cloaks or pretty much anything to make me better.>>

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I see little difference between a readily available mundane buffing item (paint if the shop was open constantly or paint was player-made) and a self-contained ability like roars.

CONCENTRATE: Raises your intimidation resistance against someone else's roaring.
You see -You concentrate on the patterns of your warpaint, steeling your mind and body against fear.

STARE: Boosts charisma
You see - You envision your warpaint in your mind. Using that vision, you flex your muscles and adjust your posture to impressive effect.

MEDITATE: Boosts discipline 10 stat points.
You see - You focus your mind on your warpaint, girding yourself with it like armor.

Those three messages imply that the majority of the effect is (from an IC standpoint) coming from the Barbarian rather than the paint. The fourth, Scream, really is mostly from the warpaint.

From an OOC standpoint, there is not really much of a difference between a readily available buff item and an inherent ability. You can use either to your heart's content. Warpaint is already readily available to some of those who managed to catch the tent, so if having a large supply was game-breaking we'd know that already.

From an IC standpoint, most of the effects of the warpaint come from the wearer - this is part of why non-barbs can't use it. This is part of why I can't really understand its limited availability - surely more than just one person knows how to make paint that people can put on their faces.

Finally and most importantly, it's really sad to see such a unique and creative system go to waste like this.

The pulzone lands a powerful strike that pokes the steel-tipped pulzone into the gryphon's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 10:15 AM CDT
>>Finally and most importantly, it's really sad to see such a unique and creative system go to waste like this.

Eh, exactly how has it gone to waste? It has NOT gone to waste for me. Just because it has more potential and could use some work does not mean it has become useless.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 06:46 PM CDT
Only one of the Barbarians I generally hang with (younger crowd than you, oldster) have ever gotten to use the system, and she was lucky to find it for sale by another barb. Some of us were even around when the shop was last open, but had no clue about it. My first barb got to 41st before I retired him, and this one's about to hit 50th, yet I still have no experience with the system.

Even basic warpaint, which has a small boost (even a chance to go negative) and no verbs that I'm aware of, is hard to come by. The idea that basic paint is too OP to be widely released is laughable - all you need to do is point to CJs and that argument dies.

A handful of lucky people (those who horded a healthy supply when the shop was around) get to use the system regularly - that's it. Everyone else is just SOL, unless one of these few decide to throw a few sticks of basic paint down for the others to play with.

And that to me seems like a huge waste of potential.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 09:55 PM CDT
>>A handful of lucky people (those who horded a healthy supply when the shop was around) get to use the system regularly - that's it. Everyone else is just SOL, unless one of these few decide to throw a few sticks of basic paint down for the others to play with.

I can easily bring up a bunch of Barbarians that I know that got warpaint for themselves rather easily. What makes you think that only a handful of lucky people managed to get them instead of a handful of unlucky people NOT getting them (you guys)?

It just doesn't sound like you've been actively looking for war paint if it has been this long and you haven't used the system yet.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 11:11 PM CDT
I don't buy into the point of people being out of luck if they hadn't purchased it from the warpaint shop. Yes, they can buy it from other PCs, but should they when access to it should be theres if they are guilded as a Barbarian -- even for what can be considered an extension-guild ability (as opposed to the main guild abilities: roars, dances, berserks, BMR).

The concept of what is considered to be rare/limited items being feasible as a cost is viable, but not with consumable goods until another splurge of shop(s) are open for warpaint.

It is interesting to see other people's perspectives on their points and arguments.

Cool stuff ;)

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/12/2009 11:44 PM CDT
<<It has opened several times already. I agree it has been awhile since the last time, which I believe was at the festival of the gods.

I think that saying when it opens replenish it is sorta defeating the purpose. There should always be a way for the basic stuff to be attainable. Its a system that is open to all barbs , yet is for all intensive purposes locked out for anyone who rolls a new barb to find someone to sell it. It should always have something purchasable in the Barbarian guild store for the basic warpaint.

-Vorp
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 09:18 AM CDT
They sold warpaint at the God Fest, which was said would be an annual thing. So another couple months, stock up on it then if Osgeth's shows up
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 10:49 AM CDT
>I think that saying when it opens replenish it is sorta defeating the purpose. There should always be a way for the basic stuff to be attainable. Its a system that is open to all barbs , yet is for all intensive purposes locked out for anyone who rolls a new barb to find someone to sell it. It should always have something purchasable in the Barbarian guild store for the basic warpaint.

Or it should be part of a creation system. Forage for the flowers to make the dye, then do whatever other voodoo goes into making paint, and voila!
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 11:21 AM CDT
>Or it should be part of a creation system. Forage for the flowers to make the dye, then do whatever other voodoo goes into making paint, and voila!

I'd really like to see warpaint be player creatable.

~Nitish

Total Ranks Displayed: 1337
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 02:32 PM CDT
<<What makes you think that only a handful of lucky people managed to get them instead of a handful of unlucky people NOT getting them (you guys)?>>

I've never seen anything other than basic for sale by anyone, and even basic only in limited quantities. On top of that, even if you ARE correct and people without plenty of warpaint are in the minority, what's the point of keeping even the unlucky ones among us out of the system?

I could see limiting factors on the more advanced varieties, but it shouldn't apply across the board.

<<I'd really like to see warpaint be player creatable.>>

That would be the best route to go, I think.

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 02:49 PM CDT
>>On top of that, even if you ARE correct and people without plenty of warpaint are in the minority, what's the point of keeping even the unlucky ones among us out of the system?

I'll quote this:

>>To me, it's nice to know that we have unique stuff out there, I'd like to see more along those lines, but I definitely don't want any of it to be so common that it becomes the default rather than the occasional exception.

And again, if you were REALLY searching for war paint I don't see how you haven't even used the system yet.

Also, I do think it'd be cool to allow players to make war paint.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 03:06 PM CDT
Definitely agree that warpaint being PC capable of creation as the optimal route to take and eventually phase out the need for shops entirely.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/13/2009 03:57 PM CDT
iv given some away not allot because i didn't buy allot.

if yer around ratha let me know and ill give you some just msg me at drbooeki because iv been working on my moonie lately and hes in crossing.

i don't think i have any plain just the good stuff but i haven't gotten around to trying to use it because my mech isn't as high as i would like it.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 08:16 AM CDT
<<To me, it's nice to know that we have unique stuff out there, I'd like to see more along those lines, but I definitely don't want any of it to be so common that it becomes the default rather than the occasional exception.>>

CJs are easily craftable and not the 'default' for MU hunting, or even for all MU PvP.

That last part - the 'occasional exception' part - confuses me greatly. Why would you rather something that should by all logic be easy to produce and use be rare? Why should something be uncommon if it has more use as an RP tool than an actual buff, as the case is with basic warpaint?

What makes you want to limit the cool stuff available to the guild?

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 09:33 AM CDT
>>I'd really like to see warpaint be player creatable.

This. Please.

Before warpaint came out, I would on occasion make up my own. There are various forage-able items (or other items found) that can be turned into various colored pastes by crushing them in a mortar. I seem to remember being able to get blood red pulp, charcoal paste, and a couple other colors.

Then again, whose to say you still couldn't do this as an RP type thing? Sure, it doesn't show as wearable, but going about making/wearing warpaint this way is a much more IC thing in my way of thinking.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training

Fight me!
http://maulem.mybrute.com
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 11:57 AM CDT
>>CJs are easily craftable and not the 'default' for MU hunting, or even for all MU PvP.

CJs are not available in some shop. They are player made.

I'm fine with War Paint being player made but don't just throw them in some open shop as it was suggested earlier. How is this hard to understand? To me it takes away some value when they're made into the 'default'.

Also, usually if the MU knows what they're doing, then it becomes the default for PvP. I suggest you get some more experience in that category. The way CJs are often used makes the game less skill based and more item-based when you have a hard time matching the +100 ranks in each of the 10 different skills they just boosted.

>>What makes you want to limit the cool stuff available to the guild?

Probably because of the way I view War Paint. I don't view it as everyday make-up that a Barbarian uses just to look cool all the time. I view it as a tool used when the Barbarian feels a situation calls for him/her to go all out. That's just my view.

However, making the shop more available than they are currently (without turning them into everyday make-up stands) and later introducing player-made War Paint would likely shut both of us up.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:31 PM CDT
>>The way CJs are often used makes the game less skill based and more item-based when you have a hard time matching the +100 ranks in each of the 10 different skills they just boosted.<<

>Dance Dragon

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:35 PM CDT
>>>Dance Dragon

Which does not match the added SW + SUF + YS + MAF + SOP on scroll that you stacked along with your 10 CJs.

That wasn't the point in my post, so let's not go derailing threads, buddy.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:36 PM CDT
>>Which does not match the added SW + SUF + YS + MAF + SOP on scroll that you stacked along with your 10 CJs.<<

I'm willing to bet it does. <g>

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:37 PM CDT
>>I'm willing to bet it does. <g>

I'm willing to bet it doesn't. NYAH

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:40 PM CDT
Making warpaint creatable with foraging skill would also give incentive to training that skill as a Barbarian.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 12:53 PM CDT
Just a reminder to please keep it civil, on topic and avoid those nasty GvG discussions.

Thank you!

Svafa

___
Any questions or comments, please contact me at Mod-Svafa@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 05:32 PM CDT
<<CJs are not available in some shop. They are player made.>>

<<I'm fine with War Paint being player made but don't just throw them in some open shop as it was suggested earlier. How is this hard to understand?>>

I knew a moonie on one of my old characters. Getting CJs was so easy for him they may as well have been from a shop. How hard is it to understand that there's not much difference?

<<To me it takes away some value when they're made into the 'default'.>>

You'll notice that a few posts ago I said I was for opening up the basic stuff but limiting the more advanced varieties, thereby making the higher tiers of the system anything but 'the default'.

<<I don't view it as everyday make-up that a Barbarian uses just to look cool all the time. I view it as a tool used when the Barbarian feels a situation calls for him/her to go all out.>>

According the the mini-test I did with the friend who had warpaint, the boost from basic warpaint is tiny and unreliable enough that if you're using that to 'go all out' it's kinda sad.

<<However, making the shop more available than they are currently (without turning them into everyday make-up stands) and later introducing player-made War Paint would likely shut both of us up.>>

Sure, I could live with that.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 06:12 PM CDT
>>I knew a moonie on one of my old characters. Getting CJs was so easy for him they may as well have been from a shop. How hard is it to understand that there's not much difference?

But there is a difference. There is a major difference between ordering them from a few MMs in the realms and dropping a store in the middle of the Crossing permanently and selling all kinds of CJs. That would just be ridiculous. There's a reason why there aren't any storebought CJs. Or storebought gwethsmashers. They add more content to those particular guilds.

>>You'll notice that a few posts ago I said I was for opening up the basic stuff but limiting the more advanced varieties, thereby making the higher tiers of the system anything but 'the default'.

Let's see... what if the war paint was brought around every 3 weeks? Every month and you managed to stock up on a ton? Would this even be an issue? I highly doubt it. I just think your arguments are based on your own inconvenience.

I say forget opening up basic paints in a permanent shop. Instead, let less skilled guild-members make them while the advanced paintsticks are made by more skilled Barbarians. Why take away potential for our guild (or any other guild depending on how the mech split goes) by opening up a permanent shop when we can instead provide more for smaller skilled players?

>>According the the mini-test I did with the friend who had warpaint, the boost from basic warpaint is tiny and unreliable enough that if you're using that to 'go all out' it's kinda sad.

Every little bit counts, especially in PvP. Again, get more experience and you'll learn that.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 06:53 PM CDT
<<There is a major difference between ordering them from a few MMs in the realms and dropping a store in the middle of the Crossing permanently>>

There was no mention of where the shop should be.

<<selling all kinds of CJs.>>

and I already said all but the basic should be limited in availability somehow.

<<a few MMs>>

If we're talking capped CJs, maybe. Do the boosts from basic warpaint come anywhere near those of a capped CJ in terms of usefulness?

<<Let's see... what if the war paint was brought around every 3 weeks? Every month and you managed to stock up on a ton? Would this even be an issue? I highly doubt it. I just think your arguments are based on your own inconvenience.>>

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but I'll give it a shot... yes, the shop coming around more often would get rid of the issue entirely. If it sells more than basic it'd be more than what I'm asking for here, but if that's the way it goes so be it.

<<Instead, let less skilled guild-members make them while the advanced paintsticks are made by more skilled Barbarians. Why take away potential for our guild (or any other guild depending on how the mech split goes) by opening up a permanent shop when we can instead provide more for smaller skilled players?>>

I have four words for you, my friend: Player-made crossbow ammo.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 07:04 PM CDT
<<There was no mention of where the shop should be.>>

To expand on this... it would be really cool to have the shop be somewhere off the beaten path, and at a certain circle have the guildleaders inform the student of the location. There could be a circle req to enter the shop if it's deemed appropriate, as well.

Could add some dialogue to the shopkeeper to make it more than 'just another shop' too.

If/when warpaint becomes player-craftable, he could retire and close the shop, but remain there; players will still be told to go to the shop, but now they learn the craft from the retired master.

Sort of a mini-quest for the guild.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 08:05 PM CDT
>>I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but I'll give it a shot... yes, the shop coming around more often would get rid of the issue entirely.

I'm saying that if the shop came around more often then this thread wouldn't be nearly this long. Might not even exist. You're saying that basic war paint should always be available permanently, yet claiming that it wouldn't matter if you saw the shop a bit more.

>>I have four words for you, my friend: Player-made crossbow ammo.

What? That has nothing to do with the discussion. Because the GMs haven't yet allowed player-made crossbow ammo, that's a good enough reason to prevent less skilled players from making war paint? That makes no sense.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 08:21 PM CDT
<<You're saying that basic war paint should always be available permanently>>

I'm saying it should be more available than it is now. Permanently would be ideal; more frequently would be a good compromise. But I mentioned that earlier, didn't I?

<<What? That has nothing to do with the discussion. Because the GMs haven't yet allowed player-made crossbow ammo, that's a good enough reason to prevent less skilled players from making war paint?>>

No, really, stop and think about it. You've got it backwards here - the GMs have kept good ammo rare in anticipation of player-made ammo, and it's frustrated nearly every crossbow user at some point in their career. For YEARS.

You are okay with how things are set up now. That's fine, but don't use player-crafted warpaint as a way to undermine my request for more availability. We'd all like it, but from what we've seen in other systems it could take a very, very long time to set up.

Or it could be done tomorrow. But I'm going to let Aurdun correct me on that, not you.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 08:35 PM CDT
>>I'm saying it should be more available than it is now. Permanently would be ideal; more frequently would be a good compromise. But I mentioned that earlier, didn't I?

And I mentioned that it should be available a lot more than it is. Simon stopped since there was nothing more to say, but then you made a big post about how it should be permanent. That's why we are where we are. If it was made more available then why all this fussing?

>>No, really, stop and think about it. You've got it backwards here - the GMs have kept good ammo rare in anticipation of player-made ammo, and it's frustrated nearly every crossbow user at some point in their career. For YEARS.

I'm aware of this. It's a similar situation with Thrown weapons, though probably not as bad.

>>You are okay with how things are set up now.

No. I believe the shop should be available more often, which is what you just said you'd be ok with. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing?

>>That's fine, but don't use player-crafted warpaint as a way to undermine my request for more availability.

lol you were requesting for it to be PERMANENT. Infinite supply. That's the whole reason me and you were even discussing it. Now only more availability?

>>Or it could be done tomorrow. But I'm going to let Aurdun correct me on that, not you.

I'd love for Aurdun to correct us. It's entirely possible that there may not be a plan for it just yet.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 08:58 PM CDT
I think the system is in it's infancy. While I think it is important to discuss the benefits of cost and reward, availability as a type of cost or skills necessary to make warpaint as a type of cost. One other thing we should be discussing is what everyone would like to see when expanding the warpaint system?

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 09:45 PM CDT
<<No. I believe the shop should be available more often>>

I misunderstood your stance, thinking it was offered as a compromise, hence the statement you quoted. My bad.

<<lol you were requesting for it to be PERMANENT. Infinite supply. That's the whole reason me and you were even discussing it. Now only more availability?>>

Permanent (in the case of basic) IS increased availability... and that aside, more availability (non-permanent) for the better warpaint varieties would be good too.

<<Are you arguing for the sake of arguing?>>

Aside from the parts of my posts agreeing to what I thought was a compromise, I've presented a differing viewpoint from your own that you've disagreed with. I stand by my belief that permanent (if inconvinient) availability of basic warpaint is the best way to go.

Now you, on the other hand, are attacking me after I already agreed to your viewpoint. THAT is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 10:17 PM CDT
>One other thing we should be discussing is what everyone would like to see when expanding the warpaint system?

I really don't think you're going to see much 'expansion.' It's an item that boosts a couple things. That's it. I hate to be a downer, but seriously, that's it's purpose and that's all.

As I have said numerous times before, I'm much more prone to abandon item-based bonuses than expand on them too much. I tend to disagree with the very concept of them. That said, I'm comfortable with where war paint is as a concept right now. It needs a few tweaks, yes, but it is neither a priority nor something that will see any kind of extensive rewriting.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn