Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/14/2009 10:30 PM CDT
<<I hate to be a downer>>

Didn't you mother ever tell you to not be a downer? ;)

<<As I have said numerous times before, I'm much more prone to abandon item-based bonuses than expand on them too much. I tend to disagree with the very concept of them. That said, I'm comfortable with where war paint is as a concept right now. It needs a few tweaks, yes, but it is neither a priority nor something that will see any kind of extensive rewriting.>>

The situation is must different if it is a system that can be created by PCs. Then it still fits into the motif of something a Barbarian can create with their own two hands. Just some food for thought.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/15/2009 12:18 AM CDT
>>Now you, on the other hand, are attacking me after I already agreed to your viewpoint. THAT is arguing for the sake of arguing.

I wasn't. It just appeared that you flipped your tune by changing from permanent to just more availability. If not, then it was a misunderstanding. Good stuff.

With that said...

>>As I have said numerous times before, I'm much more prone to abandon item-based bonuses than expand on them too much. I tend to disagree with the very concept of them. That said, I'm comfortable with where war paint is as a concept right now. It needs a few tweaks, yes, but it is neither a priority nor something that will see any kind of extensive rewriting.

I agree 100%.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/15/2009 06:17 PM CDT
>>nor something that will see any kind of extensive rewriting.>>

>The situation is must different if it is a system that can be created by PCs. Then it still fits into the motif of something a Barbarian can create with their own two hands. Just some food for thought.

I should think that switching warpaint to a player created system would fall under the aforementioned taboo extensive rewriting. Some dessert for thought.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training

Fight me!
http://maulem.mybrute.com
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/15/2009 07:42 PM CDT
I'm not expecting anything to be done any time within the next few years. But, still. The idea remains - if it's there and someone put effort into it, why not continue expanding on the idea?

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/18/2009 06:40 PM CDT
I always thought it was the custom warpaint and the REALLY good sticks that were intended to be rare, not all the warpaint sticks.....
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 06/18/2009 06:42 PM CDT
<<I always thought it was the custom warpaint and the REALLY good sticks that were intended to be rare, not all the warpaint sticks.....>>

That was my impression.

- Simon
Stocking up on Warpaint 11/08/2009 05:12 PM CST
So I want to stock up on some warpaint before the festival closes down, but I'm not sure which type I should get. I know that Plunderer is the highest quality, but going by Phii's site the only difference I can see between Plunderer and Berserker is the Discipline boost. Does a temporary Discipline boost help with dances at all? For some reason I've been thinking that only current concentration applies to the duration/power of a dance. Are there any other Barbariany things that Discipline helps?

Also, for finding your personal location/symbol combination does the lowest quality warpaint work just fine? I don't want to bother wasting the good stuff if cheap stuff will work just fine for that. And, do you get the messaging when you find either the right symbol or location, or do you have to have both correct to see the messaging?
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/13/2009 12:05 PM CST
2 effects:

The more expensive the paint, the longer it will last, and the more options you'll have. Also, the disciplin bonus will apply to dances.

As for "special location," the testing I've done has led me to believe it's a completely random effect, as I couldn't get the messaging again even using the same stick, location, and symbol. I've also gotten the message with several different combinations.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/13/2009 12:16 PM CST
Warpaint is another system that needs some work.

On an unrelated note, I'm catching you for runestones smashed, Caraamon. I wonder how our numbers compare now.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 11:40 AM CST
I'm at a piddly 848...compared notes with Caraamon at the bonfire. He surpasses me by far.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Caraamon loudly asks, "Ya still got tasks fer us ta do, Les?"
>
The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead."
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 01:13 PM CST
You kept track? I can't imagine I would have that many...

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 03:30 PM CST
For location/design, I found the location (face) by accident, then wrote a script to go through all the possible designs until I got the special messaging for the ideal design (vertical lines). It took a couple cycles and several sticks of basic paint, since the messaging doesn't even show up every time. At the time I was extremely thankful it wasn't pawprints on the cheeks or something.

I'll echo the sentiment that the system needs work.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 04:01 PM CST
That sounds almost as fun as the moon mage "kinship" system.

Heh.

I hate systems like that and support changes to them.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 04:23 PM CST
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=20&topic=22&message=432

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=20&topic=22&message=578

- Simon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/14/2009 08:27 PM CST
Work, not a rewrite. Allowing pattern selection instead of making it random and removing the apparently incorrect "location fires you with confidence" messaging would be two steps in the right direction.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/16/2009 05:56 PM CST
I'm an accountant. I keep track of everything. ;)

Well, most things...

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Caraamon loudly asks, "Ya still got tasks fer us ta do, Les?"
>
The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead."
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/16/2009 06:08 PM CST
<<Allowing pattern selection instead of making it random and removing the apparently incorrect "location fires you with confidence">>

Yep, I agree on that.

Warpaint is a system that is on the low end of the totem pole from what I understand. Roars, dances, berserks, BMR, meditations and Barbarian lore (Aurdun's specialty!) are somewhat near the top as far as Barbarians go from the last time Aurdun mentioned what was being worked on.

- Simon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/16/2009 10:56 PM CST
2465 runestones DESTROYED!

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Blunts for Sale:
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/17/2009 09:42 AM CST
How do you see how many runestones you've crushed?
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/17/2009 02:57 PM CST
You ask Aurdun really nicely to look up the counter that's invisible to players and then start keeping track manually.

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Blunts for Sale:
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/17/2009 03:21 PM CST
I'm certain I've destroyed a solid 12-13 at the very least.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/17/2009 05:15 PM CST
Tell me mine one more time Aurdun?

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/18/2009 05:14 AM CST
If your feeling generous I wouldn't mind seeing what I am at as well....

Codiax.

Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/18/2009 10:28 PM CST
There should be an in-game register for runestone destruction.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 11/19/2009 06:15 AM CST
Good Idea JMF

Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 05:38 AM CST
Okay I finally found my spiritual aka special location paint a few days back. Centaurs on the face but I don't get the message about it firing me with confidence every time. Is this a bug or what?
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 12:20 PM CST
It's random.

- Simon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 03:11 PM CST
<<It's random.>>

That pretty much sums up the warpaint system as a whole.

I find it odd that you can be surrounded by both a mantle of flame and blades of ice.

Shush, it's magic.. suspend your disbelief
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 05:00 PM CST
The scary thing is that it was intended to be random. Putting it plainly, that's stupid. The whole system needs a rewrite.

- Simon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 05:33 PM CST
I'd argue the whole system needs scrapped, because you quite honestly don't need a boost for a boost.. but meh. Not in my ballpark to aurhoritate. ;)

GM Jaedren
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 05:42 PM CST
Exactly, that's just one of the issues. You don't need a boost for boosting. What was up with the redundancy of it being implemented? This is an issue with many of the Barbarian systems. What's the point of some of the berserks when you can achieve the same or similar boosts from dancing?

- Simon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 05:56 PM CST
I wouldn't mind seeing some utility from it. Scaring away familiars and so forth would be great. Using it to determine how much our opponent fears us to see if we can roar them (especially after the roar rewrite) would be great. Kind of like an intimidation thing similar to Mark for Thieves.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 06:38 PM CST
Warpaint as a perk is okay IMO. One thing I don't like is that it fades on its own regardless of use however. I would probably utilize warpaint a lot more if this weren't the case. Obviously it is going to have to be scrapped if roars are being nerfed down hopefully we can get something back though. If it is an item # issue why not make paintsticks combineable into a brick. Then a barb could carve off a chunk to carry with him/her for use in the field. Same thing with shark's teeth make some sort of dispenser.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:18 PM CST
I hope roars aren't nerfed. They are pretty poor as is. They help early on, but right now if I use a roar once a month, it's a lot. Only thing I do less than roar is berserk.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:24 PM CST
>>I hope roars aren't nerfed. They are pretty poor as is. They help early on, but right now if I use a roar once a month, it's a lot. Only thing I do less than roar is berserk.<<

Same.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:37 PM CST
Roars are useful if you train stealths at all. I use one or two of them to prevent creatures from searching.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:44 PM CST
I used to use wail alot....a couple are pretty useful. I completely stopped using wail once it was implemented to reduce experience gain...plus the immobolized affect isn't the defensive penalty it used to be.

Alot of their effects last so short why even bother. You can't spar with them except under certain circumstances that never happen. Over half of them are pointless or do nothing..

Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:47 PM CST
>I used to use wail alot....a couple are pretty useful. I completely stopped using wail once it was implemented to reduce experience gain...plus the immobolized affect isn't the defensive penalty it used to be.

>Alot of their effects last so short why even bother. You can't spar with them except under certain circumstances that never happen. Over half of them are pointless or do nothing..

See, I have the complete opposite problem. Wail last way too long for me. Roaring with full voice I end up keeping 5-6 celps immobilized for 20-25 seconds. That allows me to prevent them from searching, but nerfs my weapon experience for the duration.

In summary, everything intimidation-related needs work.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/05/2009 08:56 PM CST
Yeah they last a while, but outside of a few, are pretty damn useless. And even those few are only useful in a few situations.
Re: Stocking up on Warpaint 12/06/2009 12:15 PM CST
I find Lash to be a great offensive and defensive hunting tool when used immediately before a whirlwind. Other than that, roars need love.

I find it odd that you can be surrounded by both a mantle of flame and blades of ice.

Shush, it's magic.. suspend your disbelief