Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 10:15 AM CDT
<<The only thing that really annoys me about warpaint (besides its rarity) is that it decays even when you don't invoke it, whereas CJs can be worn indefinitely and used only when wanted.>>

While that is certainly your perspective, I disagree. That's one of the things I actually like about warpaint. The duration can last up to 10 to 12 hours (going off of memory) if you don't use it at all.

I also disagree that warpaint has a purpose of rarity. It's a consumable, but not necessarily fest only. Most festival only items have a downside of being rare. In order to make the purpose of the item more valuable and to make the purpose of the festival more valuable.

Making warpaint a consumable, yet producable item by Barbarians would be terrific in the long run. Before that step is accomplished, I hope that part of the warpaint system is re-done.

1. Removing the random aspects of warpaint. We've already seen in the combat system where the random part of that system has a profound affect on the outcome than it is considered a "bad thing." These type of things should be based on skills/stats.

2. Make passive warpaint more profound on opponents.

3. Let the sweet location/pattern be decided by the character, not given to them.

If the purpose of the system is to make it a supplement to other abilities and to being a more effective Barbarian on the hunt, than it needs to be acknowledged eventually (after the big 3 - dances/roars/berserks).

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 10:18 AM CDT
>>The duration can last up to 10 to 12 hours (going off of memory) if you don't use it at all.

The biggest complaint I have with this is that it's RL time, not in-game time. I think as a skill booster warpaint's limitations are realistic but like I said I would love to wear it all the time as a roleplayer enhancer, even if I had to forfeit the possibility of using it as a stat booster.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 10:23 AM CDT
<<The biggest complaint I have with this is that it's RL time, not in-game time. I think as a skill booster warpaint's limitations are realistic but like I said I would love to wear it all the time as a roleplayer enhancer, even if I had to forfeit the possibility of using it as a stat booster.>>

Understood. Ok, here's a suggestion. There's 4 types of warpaint, right?

Cylinder
Cone
Cube
Small brick

Cylinder should act completely different than the types of warpaint that actually have stat boosts and passive affects. It is the basic form of warpaint to begin.

Remove all aspect of passive affect for cylinder type warpaint, but in return, make it so that it is wearable 24/7 - basically, until the Barbarian chooses to remove it. The purpose of that type of warpaint should be entirely for role-playing.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 12:31 PM CDT
>>Remove all aspect of passive affect for cylinder type warpaint, but in return, make it so that it is wearable 24/7 - basically, until the Barbarian chooses to remove it. The purpose of that type of warpaint should be entirely for role-playing.

I agree with this suggestion 100%. As I recall I had actually suggested, to Iayn, that cylinder warpaint be allowed to remain indefinitely given that it was decorative, but if I recall correctly even cylinder has a passive boost attached to it (however minimal that boost is).

I also agree with your sentiment that warpaint as an entity needs some work. Comparing it to roar helms isn't really viable, IMO, because roar helms were made available only once or twice during festivals, whereas Osgeth's tent is a staple for any festival, has appeared a couple times as a wandering merchant in towns, has randomly popped up on the islands at least once, etc. I think the Barb shop in Crossing even carried warpaint for a while? It seems to simultaneously be rare and common.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:20 PM CDT
Keep in mind, that if a special item becomes common, then it becomes the new standard. When something becomes the new standard, sooner or later, everything is downtweaked so that the new standard more or less matches the old. Then you'll HAVE to have warpaint.

Not sure that's what I personally would like to see.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:32 PM CDT
That's a difference right there. Warpaint should not be considered a special item in the hands or body of a Barbarian.

In terms of rarity:

Roar helms are special.
Fear resistance skins are special.
Inner fire refueling items are special.

Warpaint should not be deemed as special in terms of rarity. Warpaint is a supplement system to the big 3 for Barbarians.

Not everyone will have the ranks or stats necessary to fully utilize warpaint to it's fullest extent. That is the direction that should be taken.

When you make something producable by PCs, than the "have to be wearing warpaint" is less of an issue.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:35 PM CDT
>Keep in mind, that if a special item becomes common, then it becomes the new standard. When something becomes the new standard, sooner or later, everything is downtweaked so that the new standard more or less matches the old. Then you'll HAVE to have warpaint.

In theory yes. But certain weapon classes are just better because of forged/fletched weapons. And they never got downtweaked significantly. So I think this logic kind of fails in DR.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:41 PM CDT
>In theory yes. But certain weapon classes are just better because of forged/fletched weapons. And they never got downtweaked significantly. So I think this logic kind of fails in DR.

That's for a number of reasons I don't think are applicable here, including the complicated nature of the combat system, yada yada yada. And in theory, some of the upcoming changes to combat are to uptweak some of the other weapons, and most likely some of the creation system alterations will downtweak others (or uptweak the weak ones). In theory.

Regardless, in my opinion, anything that brings us closer to needing items is a bad thing. Part of my perception of the Barbarian Guild philosophy is "rely on yourself and nothing else." For me, warpaint is a neat ceremonial and special use item, and I would hate to see it become "Barbarian cambrinth."

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:50 PM CDT
>>For me, warpaint is a neat ceremonial and special use item, and I would hate to see it become "Barbarian cambrinth."

Barbarians already have something that could be compared (very loosely) to cambrinth in chakrel. We need in-game items, whether it is a flame or a chakrel stone, to even check the level of our ability pool, whereas mages have a mana meter built directly into Stormfront. So in that sense we are more item-dependent than any other guild save perhaps Paladins with their soul state.

Without digging up that hole again (I'm very glad we aren't forced to kneel now), I agree and don't think Barbarians should ever have an item as essential to them as cambrinth is to mages.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind warpaint as a roleplay item, the Barb equivalent of CJs, or both. The lore split will eventually drastically increase the pool pool of magical items and enchantments not available to Barbarians, which is fine. A Barbarian-friendly or Barbarian-specific item creation system strikes me as necessary in the long-term, and warpaint seems to me the most likely candidate.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 03:50 PM CDT
Personally I'd prefer that warpaint remain in the 'uncommon' category as well. At the very least I don't want roars/other intimidation effects to be balanced on the assumption that warpaint will always/generally be used.

Granted, this is partially a self-serving preference on my part. I've recently gotten back into playing my Prydaen and the thought of smearing his fur with paint on a regular basis would give him fits.

Ogdaro
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." - W. C. Fields
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 04:19 PM CDT
<<Part of my perception of the Barbarian Guild philosophy is "rely on yourself and nothing else.">>

Yes, I agree with a similar theory of relying on yourself and your situation. However, you are not looking at this situation fully. We already have warpaint. It was worked on mainly by GM Iayn and we cannot take that away.

Because of the fact we have it, we should work on it to improve on it. Yes, not any time in the near future, but we should still work on it as it exists.

<<Barbarians already have something that could be compared (very loosely) to cambrinth in chakrel.>>

No, not even close. It can be worn worn and it is a metal. That's where the similarities stop between chakrel and cambrinth. Mages are in tune with their environments. Barbarians need to seek their strength from within. You would think that a Barbarian could just know his own strength/chi without need of anything, but we have chakrel to reflect our own visions of ourselves. C'est la vie.

CJs and warpaint are completely different. CJs can boost skills by a hundred ranks! Warpaint can boost stats up a little bit. The comparison is laughable.

<<Granted, this is partially a self-serving preference on my part. I've recently gotten back into playing my Prydaen and the thought of smearing his fur with paint on a regular basis would give him fits.>>

That is a completely role-played reason for your own situation, as you put it. What is stopping you from putting your battle warpaint on areas on a Prydaen's skin (not fur)?

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 04:36 PM CDT
>>What is stopping you from putting your battle warpaint on areas on a Prydaen's skin (not fur)?

Well judging from the official prydaen artwork and giving my own cats a brief once-over, I'd say the main thing stopping me is that they don't offer "plantar surface of the foot," "palmar surface of the hand," "surface of the eyeball (ouch!)," and "inside of the mouth," as options for where to apply warpaint. I'm not making a serious argument here, by the way. If I had to suffer a mechanical penalty for the sake of RP I'd gladly do it. Have plenty of other times, anyway.

Ogdaro
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." - W. C. Fields
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 04:41 PM CDT
This conversation is just food for thought. I looked at the SIMU artist rendition of what Prydaen is supposed to be before I posted in response to you and I see some skin there on the cheeks and face, where warpaint could be applied.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 04:58 PM CDT
I've always interpreted that as lighter colored, shorter fur. Both of my house cats have the same kind of lighter/finer fur around their mouth/on their chin and underbellies. I think reasonable arguments could be made either way for Prydaen. Anyhow, before I derail the thread any further I'll agree to disagree, heh.

To get back on topic though: I'm not sure I see what the benefit or point is, overall, to warpaint becoming essentially mandatory to the reasonable use of roars. Or is the argument that the overall function of warpaint should shift to something more closely resembling CJs or whatever?

I've got the flu pretty bad today, so I'm not retaining what I've read as well as usual.

Ogdaro
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/04/2009 05:33 PM CDT
<<I'm not sure I see what the benefit or point is, overall, to warpaint becoming essentially mandatory to the reasonable use of roars.>>

Caraamon feels that way. However, that is not the case currently as I wrote in this thread that warpaint is a supplement system, so it is not mandatory. The intent is to supplement for a boost to discipline, charisma, intimidation boost and fear resistance.

<<Or is the argument that the overall function of warpaint should shift to something more closely resembling CJs or whatever?>>

Malkien wrote that and it is very off base as to the comparison.

The argument is that warpaint system should be improved and we are discussing how it can be improved for the future by understanding what we have now - for instance, eliminating the randomness involved in this system which is completely illegitimate for a skill/stat based game in general. Yes, it will be in the far future as the big 3 systems (berserks, roars, dances) will be worked on first as per what Aurdun has mentioned to us.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 06:56 AM CDT
>>No, not even close. It can be worn worn and it is a metal. That's where the similarities stop between chakrel and cambrinth. Mages are in tune with their environments. Barbarians need to seek their strength from within. You would think that a Barbarian could just know his own strength/chi without need of anything, but we have chakrel to reflect our own visions of ourselves. C'est la vie.

You're misunderstanding my purpose, Simon, seeing the forest for the trees or something to that effect. I'm not talking about the lore behind CJs and chakrel being similar; I am talking about the reality of the game mechanics, speaking purely from the perspective of myself, as a player, engaging a fictional game.

The stipulation Caraamon was making, IIRC, was that Barbarians are less item-dependent than other guilds. I agree 100% with this as a matter of theory; I was merely pointing out that, as a matter of reality, Barbarians are probably more item-dependent than any other guild in the game.

Mages adore cambrinth and have a very intrinsic relationship with it; indeed, they have a skill in their primary skillset (MD) delegated primarily to its use. That said, they are never required to use cambrinth. Cambrinth is no more essential to the casting of their spells than roar helms are to Barbarians using roars: it enhances the functionality of the cast and conveniences it, but it it not mandatory.

As a contrary, Barbarian use of items (chakrel, cigars, whatever) to check their inner fire is mandatory. IF is the pool from which we draw power for two of our three primary sets of abilities; we even have a roar and a combat maneuver that burns IF. It is essential to us.

That said, we can't even check our current pool size without an item! The only analog to this is Paladins needing soulstones to check their soul state. Like I said, mages have a bar in Stormfront to check their mana level at a glance. Clerics can COMMUNE with zero roundtime and no items. Et cetera et cetera.

So I agree 1000% that Barbarians should not become dependent on items like many mages are on cambrinth. That said, I was suggesting that we take note of the reality that Barbarians already are item-dependent to check their inner fire, and because of this we not be overly paranoid about Barbarians having access to accessible and user-friendly guild items so long as they never become mandatory.

>>CJs and warpaint are completely different. CJs can boost skills by a hundred ranks! Warpaint can boost stats up a little bit. The comparison is laughable.

As for this, I think you're misunderstanding my purpose again. I wasn't comparing the power they contribute to their respective guilds; allowing Barbarians to boost their charisma a couple points is nowhere near as powerful as a sudden booster shot of 100 ranks of target magic. That's obvious.

The question I was raising was in response to the notion that allowing Barbarians to wear warpaint indefinitely would force the GMs to weaken roars to "balance" them against the effects of warpaint.

I simply think that isn't true, and I was using CJs as an illustration. Any person with 1 rank in magical devices can use CJs to get a 100-rank boost to a skill, but never (I think it safe to assume) has one of the GMs been coding a spell or ability and balanced it against a possible boost from CJs. I somehow doubt Zeyurn was designing new skinning and thought to himself "wait, people can use CJs to boost their skinning! Better lower the experience!"

It's sort of a straw-man argument, IMO, and I was using CJs as an example when I was wondering aloud why warpaint decays over time, even when not invoked, whereas CJs do not. The analogy is most disingenious given warpaint is purchased and CJs are player-made; hopefully, at some point, warpaint will be player-made as well, and it can then become a more permanent part of Barbarian existence without a single fear of our abilities having to be weakened to compensate. That was my argument.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 08:50 AM CDT
Yeah, with the ridiculous power of CJ boosts I hardly think that whatever boost 'new' warpaint gives would require roars to be balanced around it. If anything, the warpaint boost would be the thing that gets rebalanced.

I'm still hoping CJs go away - they fly in the face of most GM opinions I've seen on buffs, and that they've lasted this long amazes me. But you can bet that if a non-magical Barbarian alternative showed up, giving the same boosts and operating the same way, there would be an uproar from a lot of the non-barbs.

Maulem exclaims, "Stop shootin da wimmins!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 11:37 AM CDT
I don't think the analogy of warpaint to CJs is something that can be comparable. CJs are ridiculously overpowered and boost ranks.

Your point of Barbarians being item dependent to a degree is something I did agree with. However, what can you do with that? The items are already created.

Looking at it from a point of view where we should be less item dependent is good to an extent, but we shouldn't be disregarding the items that other GMs have created for us. If it's there, we should be working to improve it with ideas.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 12:52 PM CDT
Would there be some sort of issue with perhaps giving barbarians some sort of weapon bonding? The more you use a particular weapon the stronger the bond becomes? Maybe even have the bond decay over time....such as the bond weakening the longer the barbarian neglects to use that weapon?

Perhaps the bond could provide bonuses such as more inner fire per kill with that weapon, or a slight boost in the weapons stats....I'm sure there's plenty of other things that can be done.

I'm sure this type of thing has no doubt been mentioned somewhere in the past.

~Player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

AIM: KhorgarDR
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 02:03 PM CDT
>>Would there be some sort of issue with perhaps giving barbarians some sort of weapon bonding? The more you use a particular weapon the stronger the bond becomes? Maybe even have the bond decay over time....such as the bond weakening the longer the barbarian neglects to use that weapon?

>>Perhaps the bond could provide bonuses such as more inner fire per kill with that weapon, or a slight boost in the weapons stats....I'm sure there's plenty of other things that can be done.

i like the idea, minus the weapon stat increase.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 04:11 PM CDT
>I don't think the analogy of warpaint to CJs is something that can be comparable. CJs are ridiculously overpowered and boost ranks.

Obligatory: Kind of like dragon dance? (It has a rank boost potential MUCH higher than CJs.)
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 04:16 PM CDT
<<Obligatory: Kind of like dragon dance? (It has a rank boost potential MUCH higher than CJs.)>>

No. And you can choose any skill to boost with CJs. How anyone can think CJs are legitimate is beyond me.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 04:22 PM CDT
>>Obligatory: Kind of like dragon dance? (It has a rank boost potential MUCH higher than CJs.)

Maybe at your level. Afterall, you were claiming that the LT throwing blades were overpowered, heh. Funny how ranks skew things.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 04:33 PM CDT
I take that last comment back on one part. I think it's ridiculous to compare the two, as they do two different things - one boosts overall and one boosts one skill very high so it does seem like comparing apples to oranges which is a ridiculous statement made by Copernicus. But, I do stand by my comment that CJs are OP'd because of the variety of skills you can apply that rank boost to.

- Simon
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 07:38 PM CDT
>>I simply think that isn't true, and I was using CJs as an illustration. Any person with 1 rank in magical devices can use CJs to get a 100-rank boost to a skill, but never (I think it safe to assume) has one of the GMs been coding a spell or ability and balanced it against a possible boost from CJs. I somehow doubt Zeyurn was designing new skinning and thought to himself "wait, people can use CJs to boost their skinning! Better lower the experience!"

Look at forged equipment. Once it became standard, most things are measured against it. Whether or not the GMs code things with that in mind, I can't say, but the potential does exist. There also exists the potential of other things not being coded because "eh, warpaints so common, what's the point?"

I'm not saying it WILL happen or is even likely, only that it is not unrealistic.

As for being tied to items because of chakrel, I hadn't thought of that, and now that you pointed it out, it does bother me. On the other hand, I rarely (once a month) use it, so I question whether its quite that level of necessity.

I've been wrong before (a lot) and I'll be wrong again, but that's my view of things.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 08:35 PM CDT
Chakrel =/= necessary. I hardly use mine, I just keep it 'cause it looks cool.

Far as forged weapons go, I don't think things are balanced around them - the removal of rare metals shows at least an attempt to balance forged weapons against the rest of the game instead of the other way around. Players may think of them as the standard, but they really just represent the upper cap of what is supposed to be possible.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 08:44 PM CDT
I'd like to see capped weapons produced only by chance even a master weapon smith only makes a handful of perfect weapons in their lifetime despite making numerous superb quality ones.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 10:27 PM CDT
>Look at forged equipment. Once it became standard, most things are measured against it.

Except that the weapons that aren't forgable are weak even without the forged comparison.

Then there's slings, which actually can be tanned, but are still weak. Some weapon classes/combos/templates are just weak, separately from the forged issue.

Also, throwing blades are semi-OP for learning, kind of like CL. This is assuming you are in the skill range that allows you to consistently land hits. If not, this is not true.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 10:38 PM CDT
>>Except that the weapons that aren't forgable are weak even without the forged comparison.

Weak compared to what?

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/05/2009 10:38 PM CDT
I love my chakrel amulet! I check it all the time. Especially when I decide to stack more then blood and stone.

~Player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

AIM: KhorgarDR
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 12:24 AM CDT
Compared to what would be neccessary to kill stuff.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 12:46 AM CDT
Ask folks in TF or Plat (though they have access to other stuff), store bought stuff works just fine.

You're illustrating my point perfectly. Once forged weapons became common, everything else became "weak"

I can't help but wonder whether or not the damage to learning ratio of weaponry has changed since forged equipment came out. I do know the relative difficulty of creatures has gone up several times over the years, though I have no idea if it's related in any way.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 01:28 AM CDT
>Compared to what would be neccessary to kill stuff.

While I agree when compared to forged weapons, we did manage to kill stuff with store bought weapons way back when. I still have my old crossing broadsword somewhere.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 07:35 AM CDT
My response was moved to general discussion folder since the conversation isn't about warpaint anymore.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 08:33 AM CDT
You misunderstood my comment. It was intended as a joke targetted at how weak slings and such 'lesser' weapon classes are.

I use fest or forged if I got 'em, but I use storbought weapons and shields from time to time as well. It's not 'weak', it's just not the first choice if forged is an option, similar to how you'd probably pick a roar helm over a storebought if you could, but it wouldn't be absolutely critical to your survival.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 10:41 AM CDT
>>Also, throwing blades are semi-OP for learning, kind of like CL. This is assuming you are in the skill range that allows you to consistently land hits. If not, this is not true.

Throwing blades should never be compared to CL. Maximum of five thrown with a 5 second RT does not = 20+ bolts. Not to mention, the damage is so poor that I often need more LT ranks than normal to hunt a critter that usually demands less. It's always easier to learn when you're backtraining weapons instead of training them at level.

I think what you fail to realize is that landing 5 hits at once is an intended perk to offset a weapon that is very weak compared to the others. If you're backtraining this weapon, the perk will seem a lot better than what it truly is.

Vinjince
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 10:44 AM CDT
Yeah, when backtraining they were great. When they caught up to my other four weapons they were so pathetic I dropped LT from the cycle entirely - other ranged weapons I use are just too superior.

Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 01:03 PM CDT
>>Weak compared to what?

>Compared to what would be neccessary to kill stuff.

Pretty much. Compare a crossing broadsword to any short staff in game. There's no comparison.
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 02:15 PM CDT
>>Compare a crossing broadsword to any short staff in game. There's no comparison.

The grand irony of short staffs/slings/staff slings is that no one uses them because they've been poorly developed for so long, and they haven't seen development (I would imagine) largely because no one uses them. It's a vicious circle.

On a related note, if everyone would roll up a Kaldar or Gnome character and send all the GMs ranting emails about how races besides Prydaens need development, I would appreciate it <3.

-Joshua, player of Malkien
Re: Where to buy Warpaint? 04/06/2009 06:45 PM CDT
>Throwing blades should never be compared to CL. Maximum of five thrown with a 5 second RT does not = 20+ bolts. Not to mention, the damage is so poor that I often need more LT ranks than normal to hunt a critter that usually demands less. It's always easier to learn when you're backtraining weapons instead of training them at level.

I meant the overkill ability and the graze-to-lock ability. Granted, you can't compare ANYTHING to CL in terms of... well pretty much anything... and have it be a fair comparison.

>I think what you fail to realize is that landing 5 hits at once is an intended perk to offset a weapon that is very weak compared to the others. If you're backtraining this weapon, the perk will seem a lot better than what it truly is.

Actually, LT is my highest weapon, after brawling.