Prev_page Previous 1 3
Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 03:32 AM CDT

I heard somewhere that chakral will be able to store inner fire as cambrinth stores mana. If such a thing is to be true then will a Barbarian be able to add stored fire to his own inner fire to compound desired effects? Could a Barbarian restore lost inner fire from prepped chakral?

Thanx fer readin
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 05:31 AM CDT
>I heard somewhere that chakral will be able to store inner fire as cambrinth stores mana. If such a thing is to be true then will a Barbarian be able to add stored fire to his own inner fire to compound desired effects? Could a Barbarian restore lost inner fire from prepped chakral?

There has been some talk that chakrel weapons may give a instant inner fire refresh with a cool down, but as far as I know that's the closest I've heard about it. Even that was a while ago, so I have no idea if it's true.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 06:23 AM CDT
it might be a good idea to be able to make chakrel that provides this sort of function for enchanting by barbarians.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 07:14 AM CDT
I'd be wary of this idea. Barbs are still listed as taking a penalty for use of MD and this smacks of arcana. And I doubt very much the GMs are going to redesign the game from the ground up to put every function on the same back end then go 'ah, but Barbs we will give a full blown MD system but no skill checks'.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 01:25 PM CDT
>>I'd be wary of this idea. Barbs are still listed as taking a penalty for use of MD and this smacks of arcana. And I doubt very much the GMs are going to redesign the game from the ground up to put every function on the same back end then go 'ah, but Barbs we will give a full blown MD system but no skill checks'.

It's not all black and white. I'm sure some middleground could be discovered here.

In all honesty, I'm not too happy with how Inner Fire works in the new system. I understand that perhaps it's not final, and that a 150+ Barbarian with only 300 ranks in his inner fire skill may not see even half of our capabilities. Of course, I'd feel 10x better if we at least got 500-600'ish ranks grandfathered but that may be a dead horse by now.

With all of that said, I'd welcome any item that could help micro-manage our inner fire consumption. With so many changes to Barbarian philosophy I'm sure it could be feasible in one way or another.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 03:31 PM CDT
>it might be a good idea to be able to make chakrel that provides this sort of function for enchanting by barbarians.

On last talk, Chakrel will be stonecarving, not enchanting.

The benefits of chakrel are inherent to the stone and don't need to be brought forth with magic, they just need to be properly shaped.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/24/2012 08:16 PM CDT
From what I've seen in test and heard I too am not a fan of inner fire 3.0. I'm holding out hope what I saw and experienced in test a month ago is different from what's released.

- Buuwl
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/25/2012 12:49 PM CDT
What exactly was the complaint with inner fire? Not liking something without a justification makes it difficult to improve.

As for DRT - killing enemies was not granting inner fire, so that may have just ever so slightly slanted your view of things....

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/25/2012 07:47 PM CDT
the only thing about it I don't like is not knowing when I have enough to circle. Olwydds is incorrect on the new reqs. Once I circle twice I'll be able to figure it out mathematically and make my own spreadsheet, but I've only circled once so far since implementation.

That and its still showing up as Inner Magic. Magic = bad. Fire = good. :-)
/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 01:23 PM CDT

150 barb with only 300 inner fire and not being able to use abilities because of it - that's what I find a bit unsettling

I think 300 sounds way to low for "grandfathering" when inner fire is all that sets barbs apart of commoners
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 01:43 PM CDT
The grandfathering does seem egregiously low at high circles.

I know Barbarian abilities were already designed with a built-in compromise of being quicker to average power and longer to "cap," but the amount is simply very low for a system designed to scale to 1000+ ranks.
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 02:47 PM CDT

Especially when IF dictates majority if not all barb abilities

A lvl 150 barb would have way more than 300 ranks I believe even with a passive play style
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 02:59 PM CDT
>>Especially when IF dictates majority if not all barb abilities

Keep in mind that, based on what Kodius was expressing, you wouldn't necessarily be better at doing something if you're grandfathered more ranks, because they'll just rescale what you need to get X amount of "oomph" out of your dance/form/etc.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 03:04 PM CDT
>Especially when IF dictates majority if not all barb abilities

It does not. The Augmentation, Warding, etc. determines how good you are.

The Inner Fire skill determines how much IF any given ability costs.

Or at least, that's what it was last time I checked.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 03:19 PM CDT

Do we know what grandfathering is going be for those skills?
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 03:31 PM CDT
As of last we were told:

Augmentation will be Grandfathered at the rate of 1st Supernatural, Debilitation will be Grandfathered at rate of 2nd Supernatural, and Warding will be Grandfathered at rate of 1/circle.

See http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Barbarians_3.0#Circle_Requirements for reqs.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 03:42 PM CDT

Thanks

Still looks like only 300-350 ranks

Pretty low considering that most players would have higher than min reqs by the time they got to 150

I know I would
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:10 PM CDT
>>Pretty low considering that most players would have higher than min reqs by the time they got to 150

This could be used as an argument for anyone getting something new grandfathered to circle.

The issue is that GMs can't just make assumptions about what could have theoretically happened. All they can do is make decisions based on what had to have theoretically happened.

I think GMs mentioned it in the past, but if they had a way to track how long people danced from joining the guild to now, they'd love to make a decision based on that. But, it doesn't exist, so they can't.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:17 PM CDT
>> As of last we were told:

>> Augmentation will be Grandfathered at the rate of 1st Supernatural, Debilitation will be Grandfathered at rate of 2nd Supernatural, and Warding will be Grandfathered at rate of 1/circle.

>> See http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Barbarians_3.0#Circle_Requirements for reqs.

He's saying the actual grandfathering numbers are ridiculous. Example:

My 168th magic-tert Barbarian ends up with about as much magic as my 121st magic-tert Paladin.

That's a difference of 47 circles by the absurd 150+ 2.5x reqs, or 74 circles in terms of old requirements. 74 circles!

To boot, this Paladin hasn't been trained in over 7 years. All were gains under old experience, where terts were absolutely atrocious.

I've already brought up how ridiculous and unfair this, is not just in the idea but by comparison to how MU's get their new magic skills grandfathered. It's understandable that 'more ranks only lowers IF costs' but this leaves a big TDP gap between MUs and NMUs.

The argument here is that they shouldn't use base requirements for magic grandfathering - because they're completely unrealistic. No one is going to have their 'skills that determine the functioning of their abilities and therefore their effectiveness as a class' that low.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:25 PM CDT
>>The argument here is that they shouldn't use base requirements for magic grandfathering - because they're completely unrealistic. No one is going to have their 'skills that determine the functioning of their abilities and therefore their effectiveness as a class' that low.

I don't think anyone is really disputing that it's unrealistic, considering how most magic trains. The issue is that there is no other solid metric for gauging how many ranks a barbarian of X circle should have other than generalized assumptions.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:32 PM CDT

Then raise the magic requirement per circle

I don't think 5 ranks is out of line for a guild's core ability

We are weapon prime so it moves faster but to my knowledge its not like we get a "bonus" for being a barb

Besides that what we get for dancing

Gimp whatever controls that and you're looking at a commoner with weapon ranks
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:46 PM CDT
Kodius response to this was 'sure, we will give you more ranks, and we will make those ranks less effective' last time this came up.

His argument was by keeping the grandfathered ranks low, he was concentrating the effect of them, rather than just going all BIGGER NUMBERS on us. The design is to have you be roughly as effective at circle as you are now. He could give you 1 rank per circle and design the system around this, and you'd be 100 ranks in and just as effective as you are right now.

He could give you 50000 ranks and make you just as effective as you are now.

One scenario has a lot more room for growth, and painless growth, than the other, and that was my understanding of his design choice.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 04:46 PM CDT
>>Then raise the magic requirement per circle. I don't think 5 ranks is out of line for a guild's core ability

While your circle requirements might be lower than what other magic tert guilds average as a result of the lower circle reqs, you're never going to be anywhere near a 5 per req until you're looking at what you'd be getting grandfathered at 151st circle and higher.

guild1-1011-3031-7071-100101-150
barbarian1/01/02/22/23/3
paladin1/12/12/23/23/3
ranger1/1/12/2/12/2/23/3/23/3/3

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 05:01 PM CDT

Well I haven't tried the test server because I don't have access to it

But from what Vinjince said - 300 ranks isn't cutting it currently

So I'd like to see that fixed before the barb guild is again left behind
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 06:37 PM CDT
>So I'd like to see that fixed before the barb guild is again left behind

The barb guild was just rewritten from the ground up. As in, it's in Plat. I think Vin is a great guy, but I also think he doesn't have a high level barbarian in plat to test with all the systems in place. I could be wrong.

As such, Kodius has proven himself to have the ambition and ability to bring forth great things, and I'm sick of 'whaaaa my guild sucks and everyone hates it' from everyone, and every guild.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 07:29 PM CDT
Bearing in mind this isn't nearly as bad as suddenly needing target and starting from zero ranks, I still find the numbers to be low, but then I really cannot think of any constructive alternative that would not set precedent for all sorts of headache-inducing questions about grandfathering other people, too.

I suppose the problem will sort itself out in time anyways.
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 10:45 PM CDT

<I think Vin is a great guy, but I also think he doesn't have a high level barbarian in plat to test with all the systems in place>

there was a test before it was in plat....
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/26/2012 10:58 PM CDT
>there was a test before it was in plat....

Test was a cobbled mess of partial systems and not entirely updated accurate things.

As far as I know, combat 3.0 wasn't in at the same time everything else 3.0 was, and IF regen from killing was off entirely for the duration.

So test wasn't a very good test, in many ways, which is why I stressed that it might have given a poor first impression.

I would reign in the gloom and doom and 'omg this guild sucks' until people who've tested the whole shebang in Plat might weight in.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 12:51 AM CDT
>>So I'd like to see that fixed before the barb guild is again left behind

Just stop already. :GLARE: This Guild has seen more development time in the last year, than half the other Guilds combined over the last decade. Rewriting an entire Guild and 50-something abilities with plenty of room for expansion and deep-development is hardly being left behind...

There was a real chance of not grandfathering anything and letting Barbarians train skill back up from 0 just like Rangers and Paladins had to do with TM skill, and how some people will have to do with Lore Crafting skills post-split. The current levels are sufficient for using abilities balanced for your circle, while still giving a good bit of room to expand.

The problem with making a requirement of 5 ranks for circle (or whatever number), is they will NEVER EVER learn as fast as weapons. This means they will ALWAYS be holding you back from circling, which is not enjoyable.

>>there was a test before it was in plat

What he said. The test was incomplete and hardly a good preview of the system as a whole. I've adjusted every IF drain formula and every experience awarding formula since then. This is only live in Plat right now.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 12:56 AM CDT

Not what I've heard from people in plat

But again it's not my own experience

Thanks for the update
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 01:48 AM CDT
>>I've adjusted every IF drain formula and every experience awarding formula since then.
>>Not what I've heard from people in plat

Assuming your quoted response is in relation to what I quoted from Kodius, I can confirm that this has indeed been happening. We have a group of dedicated Barbarian characters testing at every skill level. Speaking only for the ones I know of for sure, We have Barbs at 7th, 12th, 17th, 25th, 55th, (Not sure but fits in this gap), and 120th+ circles testing hard. Many adjustments have been made, including IF cost, grandfathering and viability at-level. And we're still working on it.

>>The current levels are sufficient for using abilities balanced for your circle, while still giving a good bit of room to expand.

If you meant the above, please see the part about tweaks to viability at-level.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 09:09 AM CDT

I appreciate the testing that us going on

Is anyone in plat 150+? I ask because there is a huge difference between 120 and 150+

It would be beneficial to see how things end up at that end of the spectrum
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 09:16 AM CDT
>Not what I've heard from people in plat

Ok name dropper, tell us who 'your people' in plat are.

Or have them post here.

Because being keyed into the plat community, despite not playing there myself anymore other than a month a year, I'm going to call bull@#$% on you. Total and complete fabrication to justify your self pity and chicken little 'sky is falling' mentallity. Every barb I've spoken to about the new BARB (and that's the key word, the BARABARIAN system, not DR3 as a whole, Kodius can't control that), has said it's pretty good.

It needs tweaking, all of DR3 needs tweaking, that's why Solomon made a public announcement that they were delaying the release till at least after the festival for more evaluation and testing.

Plus Vawn's player plays like 3 barbs in plat of varying circle and ability, regularly.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 09:30 AM CDT
The dong is just looking for a reason to quit DR, don't look for a reason dong just quit playing.
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 09:31 AM CDT
>>Is anyone in plat 150+? I ask because there is a huge difference between 120 and 150+

>>It would be beneficial to see how things end up at that end of the spectrum.

Agreed, but to my knowledge, Plat has no 150+ Barbs yet. Prime will have to break Barbarian endgame when it drops there, I'm afraid.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 11:03 AM CDT
I know Kodius has been working very hard on the guild, and he's right this guild hasn't seen this much development ever at one time. As far as how things play out I'll just wait til they hit prime. If I don't feel my abilities stand up to what they use to, I've got a some weapons I've been wanting to backtrain anyways. So I'll throw on some plate and go dance while I play with QS and pike.
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 11:43 AM CDT
>>Is anyone in plat 150+? I ask because there is a huge difference between 120 and 150+

So I am curious what scenario would result in the Guild being fun and enjoyable to 120th, and then somehow fall apart at 150th.

I just copied two Barbarians in the 120ish range and the 160th range.

120th -
Inner fire: 390 ranks
Augmentation: 323 ranks
Debilitation and Warding: 420 ranks

160th -
Inner Fire: 675 ranks
Augmentation: 542 ranks
Debilitation and Warding: 420 ranks

Ok, now for the testing with the 120th Barbarian

11:17 - began 4 forms (Dragon, Buffalo, Bear, Badger)

11:19 - Pulsed to 2/32

11:20 - Pulsed to 3/32

11:22 - Pulsed to 4/32 .... so it would appear you could eventually mind lock from just cycling 4 forms, but it would take a while - which is intended. Throwing in the occasional meditation or berserk (once you have worked up your IF from killing things) will make it lock much faster.

A meditate power showed:

You are currently practicing the Badger Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Buffalo Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Bear Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.

>>>>>>>>>>>-|

You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.

So you can see with 4 forms up you are reduced to about 15% of your passive inner fire regeneration cap. This is the same level a circle 20 barbarian hits when they use 2 forms. The difference is you don't need to be hunting to maintain them indefinately. Inner fire just bounces between 10-15% while out of combat. That seems like a very nice improvement, and as you work towards 1500 ranks of inner fire you'll see the bar indicating your passive regen limit continue inching up to around the 25% mark.

Now for the 160th:

With the same forms up:

>>>>>>>>>>>>-|

Notice the bar is 1 tick further along the graph. Not bad considering these were mostly easy forms. Now if we swap out Buffalo (Intro difficulty) for Toad (Expert):

Circle 120:

>>>>>>>>-|

Circle 160:

>>>>>>>>>>-|

Now we are 2 marks ahead due to the expert Form requiring more skill. Modest improvements, but what do you really expect for 30ish circles? The real benefit is in how much IF berserks and meditations will use, numbers that are harder to model.

Don't forget that by 160th you'd have a few more slots as well, and those could enhance your capability just through the abilities they unlock....

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 12:39 PM CDT
>>Not what I've heard from people in plat

People in Plat are currently unaware of what they can/can't post about in the Prime folders in regard to 3.0. I/We asked a few times about if we could start putting things on epedia/posting in the Prime folders if someone asks, and we've yet to get a yes or no answer.

Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 02:01 PM CDT
Ah, that looks pretty cool, Kodius. I can't wait until we get to use it! Thanks for that clarification and sharing some info with us.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: Inner Fire Boost/Storage 10/27/2012 02:09 PM CDT
I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with the grandfathered numbers - I can't really until I use it I guess.

From that little preview above - just how you implemented the skills and IF usage and monitoring - that looks incredible though. good job!

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Prev_page Previous 1 3