1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 09:02 PM CDT
Knock of the snark to each other please.

That belongs in conflicts.

Thank you!

Svafa
_
If you have questions or comments, please email me at MOD-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 09:23 PM CDT
<<The only one that would even potentially THINK of something like this would be Anhh'shre. And ultimately even SHE wouldn't think lightly of sidestepping the Redthorne's by openly supporting her pupils undercutting them. There is no 'sweeping the lore under the rug' going on here, since none of the current lore supports the Barbarian Guildleaders as assassins, smugglers, etc.

There are a lot of Barbarians who train what will be Thievery for a variety of reasons. Without an extremely strong argument for restricting the skill, along the lines of Gauthus' threat to personally lightning bolt Warrior Mages brought up on pickpocketing charges, it feels arbitrary.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 09:42 PM CDT

To me thievery is a pain to train as a barbarian since you need to leave combat, personally I got no problem with it being allowed.

- Buuwl
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 10:06 PM CDT
>There are a lot of Barbarians who train what will be Thievery for a variety of reasons. Without an extremely strong argument for restricting the skill, along the lines of Gauthus' threat to personally lightning bolt Warrior Mages brought up on pickpocketing charges, it feels arbitrary.

I doubt this.

A lot.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:09 PM CDT
>>There are a lot of Barbarians who train what will be Thievery for a variety of reasons. Without an extremely strong argument for restricting the skill, along the lines of Gauthus' threat to personally lightning bolt Warrior Mages brought up on pickpocketing charges, it feels arbitrary.

Jaedren's being a little modest, so I'll say it instead: he basically invented, wrote, and rp'ed the guild leaders you just named for years in every major event, so if he says their personalities or lore don't really support Thievery as an acceptable req, I think he can speak with some authority.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 04:01 PM CDT
>OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US?

That's what this folder needed to get it kickstarted, I liked how you continued all calm-like though. Seems pretty good set-up. I think barbarians have the most restricted skills, but well barbarians are superstitious, and heavily awesome, so something had to be done I guess.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 04:06 PM CDT
> >>historic share of plundering as well.

>Plundering and stealing differ greatly with respect to how alive the person who used to own the goods is.

Socharis, that was a great laugh. This Barbarian folder has been full of chuckles. And I just wanted you to know, that after a very serious week, its nice to have some nice humor to read.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 06:40 PM CDT
>>I think barbarians have the most restricted skills, but well barbarians are superstitious, and heavily awesome, so something had to be done I guess.

Yes, easily the most restrictive. I personally would like to see Utility allowed. Inner Fire is disallowed, so as currently constructed, we would be allowed a whopping choice of 2 from 3 possible skills (Augmentation, Debilitation, Warding).
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 07:56 PM CDT
>>I personally would like to see Utility allowed. Inner Fire is disallowed, so as currently constructed, we would be allowed a whopping choice of 2 from 3 possible skills (Augmentation, Debilitation, Warding).

That's not unique when it comes to fringe skillslot cases. See Empaths who want non-combat survivals or the Moon Mage magic req.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Circle Reqs 03/17/2012 08:42 PM CDT
I was torn on the Utility skill for Barbarians. It will be tricky enough learning Inner Fire, Augmentation, Warding and Debilitation from such low levels... adding Utility on top of it seemed a bit much. Barbarians also don't gain abilities as quickly as Magic Primes, so you'd not necessary pick up a Utility teaching ability for a while. I am assuming you'd want it for the handful of TDPs it would eventually generate?

For now Augmentation will cover most forms and berserks, debilitation will cover most roars, warding will cover most meditations involving magic affecting interactions, and inner fire will act as a modifier for all abilities in determining how much inner fire they use.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 12:43 AM CDT
>>That's not unique when it comes to fringe skillslot cases. See Empaths who want non-combat survivals or the Moon Mage magic req.

>>I was torn on the Utility skill for Barbarians. It will be tricky enough learning Inner Fire, Augmentation, Warding and Debilitation from such low levels... adding Utility on top of it seemed a bit much. Barbarians also don't gain abilities as quickly as Magic Primes, so you'd not necessary pick up a Utility teaching ability for a while. I am assuming you'd want it for the handful of TDPs it would eventually generate? I am assuming you'd want it for the handful of TDPs it would eventually generate?

>>For now Augmentation will cover most forms and berserks, debilitation will cover most roars, warding will cover most meditations involving magic affecting interactions, and inner fire will act as a modifier for all abilities in determining how much inner fire they use.

A few things here...

1) If I am reading this right, Barbarians will be getting abilities at the "spell slot" rate posted by Armifer earlier? I had assumed Thieves and Barbarians would continue to function in their own independent worlds. I see the logic to it, but I will need some time to digest that. I had assumed spell slots meant spells, not all abilities for all guilds across the game.

2) If we're going to make the systems as analogous as possible (which is an admirable goal IMO), why aren't their plans for the Barbarian equivalent of AP spells, one for each of augmentation, debilitation, warding, and utility? Are there? If not, this would seem like a completely unintentional but punitive oversight, allowing MUs to train the stuff for free and making Barbarians spend tertiary slots to train them.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 04:07 AM CDT
> why aren't their plans for the Barbarian equivalent of AP spells, one for each of augmentation, debilitation, warding, and utility? Are there? If not, this would seem like a completely unintentional but punitive oversight, allowing MUs to train the stuff for free and making Barbarians spend tertiary slots to train them.

My impression is that there won't be any free spells in 3.0. Any MU who wants to use an AP spell to train a skill will need to spend a slot on it; they're just there to ensure that every guild has that option out the gate.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 05:04 AM CDT
so 1 ability every 2 circles then 1 every 3 after 100? Or am I remembering this wrong? How many POSSIBLER abilities are there going to be for a barbarian to learn?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 08:29 AM CDT
>so 1 ability every 2 circles then 1 every 3 after 100? Or am I remembering this wrong? How many POSSIBLER abilities are there going to be for a barbarian to learn?

Depends entirely on slot costs of the abilities. In a few posts Armifer has said that most will cost roughly 2 slots. And since I assume the new barb stuff will be going live at or before DR 3, there will probably be more than enough things to spend points on. I'm not sure which techs will be awesome/helpful for Barbs, but I'm sure there will be some you want.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 12:03 PM CDT
Would someone be so kind as to link to a description of what the different magic types actually are, or will be? What is Utility magic? Is it even called Utility magic?

You're a moon mage: death should come as no surprise.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 01:03 PM CDT
>>...what the different magic types actually are...

Augmentation - Self boosting or bonusing spells/abilities.
Debilitation - Spells/abilities that inflict a detrimental effect or penalty on another.
Warding - Barrier or shielding spells/abilities.
Utility - All other spells/abilities which provide a beneficial function which don't fall into one of the above.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 01:38 PM CDT
The majority of Barbarian abilities will cost 2 slots, with some taking up 1 or 3. Feats will also exist that cost 1 slot each. Things such as identifying when a mage is preparing a magic spell, or what spell they are preparing. Other feats will add additional information to your ability readouts such as duration in roisaen rather than a vague description, or adding an actual inner fire bar to your Flame Meditation.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 02:37 PM CDT
So feats aren't simply granted by doing the feat, they take an ability slot?
I always thought of feats as X total ranks, or X ranks in Y Skill etc, or are feats simply abilities?

About the IF bar, isn't an ability bar (like the mana bar) free for other guilds?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 02:48 PM CDT
We are Barbarians and don't need no stinkin mana bar.

Despite how some people are crying that the realms are becoming more "cookie-cutter", the slot-system does the opposite. Very little differentiates one 100th circle Barbarian from another. The new system should ensure no two 100th circle Barbarians look like each other.

Just because mage Guilds do it one way, doesn't mean supernatural Guilds will. This plays into the "feel" of the Guild, and the mechanics differences allow for different play styles.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 02:52 PM CDT
>I always thought of feats as X total ranks, or X ranks in Y Skill etc, or are feats simply abilities?

Kodius is using 'feats' in the sense of magical abilities (or supernatural, whatever). These will cost slots to purchase/use the same as the magic systems. Think of it as a much more refined, granulated, and above all functional, version of the roar system now. I don't think skills will be directly tied in other than in the sense that you need to circle to get slots to purchase abilities with.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 02:54 PM CDT
Anything you can release now Kodius or must everything wait for magic 3.0?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Circle Reqs 03/18/2012 09:48 PM CDT
For the live instances everything is tied to the skill split. Over in the Test Server I am waiting for Combat to be more stable so I can test things ahead of releasing them for you to play with.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 02:29 AM CDT
>>The majority of Barbarian abilities will cost 2 slots, with some taking up 1 or 3. Feats will also exist that cost 1 slot each. Things such as identifying when a mage is preparing a magic spell, or what spell they are preparing.

Sounds cool.

>>Other feats will add additional information to your ability readouts such as duration in roisaen rather than a vague description, or adding an actual inner fire bar to your Flame Meditation.

Is this standard across all guilds, paying a technique slot to see buff length?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 02:34 AM CDT
>Is this standard across all guilds, paying a technique slot to see buff length?

Nope, it's something special for us.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 02:46 AM CDT
>>Nope, it's something special for us.

We earn technique slots at a tertiary rate! Our abilities are based on ranks! Same design principles across all guilds!

But wait, we have to pay for an IF bar and we have to pay to get durations on our abilities. Cause we're different.

Sorry Kodius, that's incredibly lame (in my opinion). It's not a design feature, it's a technique penalty for being an NMU. I respect that it's several steps above having to kneel and meditate on chakrel, but if we're going to do this, let's do it right, I feel. It's 2012. Duration of our abilities is not a perk bought, it's an entry-level gameplay feature and should be given completely free, like it is to magic users.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 08:55 AM CDT
I'd agree that having to pay a technique slot to get to see how long our abilities are going to last isn't great when a mage can just type "perc" and see how long their spells will last.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 09:36 AM CDT
<<I'd agree that having to pay a technique slot to get to see how long our abilities are going to last isn't great when a mage can just type "perc" and see how long their spells will last.

Could go the other way and simply make that a perk for MUs. Probably would be just as easy a change.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 11:00 AM CDT
Without the feat you'll still get string durations. "Will last a long time, will last a short time, etc" I'm sure people will do some testing and figure out what the ranges are. Inner Fire will be operating in much the same way. You've never needed a bar before and I don't see why it should be a requirement now.

I also find it crazy that Barbarians should be capable of identifying spell preps without any training! 1 slot isn't much to ask for something you cannot currently do.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 11:25 AM CDT
>>I also find it crazy that Barbarians should be capable of identifying spell preps without any training! 1 slot isn't much to ask for something you cannot currently do.<<

Part of the reason some of us would like a bar, not me I don't really care about a bar, is that the way we will be buffing ourselves is changed. It's going to be more like how khris are currently used and with khris thieves can see how much concentration they have left to use. I can easily see myself not taking the technique because I'd rather spend the slot on an ability since we get slots at a tertiary rate.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 12:57 PM CDT
>>Inner Fire will be operating in much the same way. You've never needed a bar before and I don't see why it should be a requirement now.

That's sort of the point, it would just be a nice feature to an interface. Like Pendus I won't bother using a slot for it, seems like a waste. An ability bar is for the player and doesn't really have anything to do with the Barbarian IMO.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 08:17 PM CDT
>>Without the feat you'll still get string durations. "Will last a long time, will last a short time, etc" I'm sure people will do some testing and figure out what the ranges are. Inner Fire will be operating in much the same way. You've never needed a bar before and I don't see why it should be a requirement now.

Probably, but it's still annoying (in my opinion). I'd much rather it just be an Inner Fire check. Would you consider tweaking that?

>>I also find it crazy that Barbarians should be capable of identifying spell preps without any training! 1 slot isn't much to ask for something you cannot currently do.

Paying a technique slot to identify spell preps seems quite reasonable to me :). I suppose this is also "standard functionality for MU," but I was referring solely to exact durations of our abilities.

It's not the end of the world and I'm super-hyped about all the great stuff that will be coming in 3.0. I wish it released tomorrow! I would just like to be able to get durations without having to decode messaging.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 10:10 PM CDT
<<Paying a technique slot to identify spell preps seems quite reasonable to me :). I suppose this is also "standard functionality for MU," but I was referring solely to exact durations of our abilities.

Yeah I don't see that as unreasonable, either, but I think you could easily turn it around and say it costs MU one slot to identify spell preps outside of their native mana type.

It can all be turned around like that.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/19/2012 10:42 PM CDT
>>Yeah I don't see that as unreasonable, either, but I think you could easily turn it around and say it costs MU one slot to identify spell preps outside of their native mana type.

I could see that as well, or a PM check, maybe a higher check depending on how far the spell is from your "native" frequency, with sorcery spells being hardest to identify.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/20/2012 09:17 PM CDT
Umm.. I just caught this why is utility a restricted skill? Does that mean we can't learn it or it doesn't count for circling?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/20/2012 09:17 PM CDT
>>Umm.. I just caught this why is utility a restricted skill? Does that mean we can't learn it or it doesn't count for circling?

Doesn't count for circling.
1 2 4 Next Next_page