Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 02:20 PM CST
>Could do different dance interpretations. I mean my dragon dance may look different than another barbs

I like this... We could have various small quests that determine our dance style, even berserking style.

>This could open up barb sects...

I understand the meaning here, but I've always considered sects to be a magic thing... If you look up the meaning, it has primarily to do with religious beliefs. I think calling them Clans or something along those lines would be better. Heck, to flesh out the existing clans a bit more to the effect that barbarians could join them would be amazing.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 04:01 PM CST

Sure, clans...

Different clans could have different non combat abilities. Maybe put the abilities on a daily cool down.

Could open up a lot of rp opportunities
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 05:00 PM CST
I don't know about different clans...

But I've always thought of there being different types of Barbarians. Berserker, Fighter, Mage-slayer, and while I can't think of them now, I know I had more. Basically Barbarians were more then just simply Barbarians, they were that, and then all sorts of different specialties.

Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 05:12 PM CST
Sounds similar to your power paths.

The powers will be mixed among three paths (think spellbooks), called Horde (brute strength), Predator (stealth and precision), and Flame (anti-mage/magic). There will be multiple tiers, with access to the next tier likely requiring a minumum number of powers in that path and possibly a circle minimum. Progessing down two or more paths possible, but the most powerful abilities require serious comittment to a path.
It will be possible to specialize in a path, gaining extra slots, as well as a reduction in prereqs.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Barbarian_3.0#Powers

The specializing in particular sounds promising.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 05:13 PM CST
Not clans, lodges!

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 05:17 PM CST
>Not clans, lodges!

I like.

Although, how many barbs out there have actually hung out in the barb lodge in wolf clan? I know when I frequented Crossing, I'd hang out there with my brother ALL the time. We even discussed creating our own barbarian only group based out of that lodge. Never happened, but it was discussed.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 05:23 PM CST
>We even discussed creating our own barbarian only group based out of that lodge. Never happened, but it was discussed.

Heh, I suspect it's been attempted at least half a dozen times. I know I put quite a bit of effort into it, but it fell apart fairly quickly.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 06:02 PM CST
Also Clans are already a thing.

However I don't see Barbarians organizing themselves with much discipline. While there are probably loose groups who agree on major issues and practice similar abilities I think Barbarians are basically Barbarians. The only real subsect thereof is Rissan Barbarians of which there are quite a few. You can recognize them by their books and ability to read.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 06:25 PM CST

Idk. I think kodius is looking for things that can add to the barb guild that don't necessarily have to do with the 3.0 changes. For example war mages have cantrips that don't really have any function besides rp (pathways are different), the monies have the sects that have some special abilities that as far as I'm concerned are rp tools,etc

You could make clans, lodges, whatever, that would add some rp but doesn't need to be tied to 3.0. Example different dance messages or other non combat related abilities. Im not sure what else could be adjusted but that Can be solved with brainstorming. Complaining that it's been done or it's failed is a bit defeatist. If that's the feeling among the barb Guild members then we've already lost. Might as well leave all the same. Waste some time on a barb library that only a handful will ever read and Appreciate
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 06:31 PM CST
>Complaining that it's been done or it's failed is a bit defeatist. If that's the feeling among the barb Guild members then we've already lost.

That wasn't quite what I meant. I was simply pointing out that every so often people try it without mechanical support and it falls apart.

I'd be all for it if there was some support.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 08:00 PM CST
>That wasn't quite what I meant. I was simply pointing out that every so often people try it without mechanical support and it falls apart.

This.

I don't think either of us were complaining. More along the lines of elaborating on the idea of lodges.

>...there are probably loose groups who agree on major issues and practice similar abilities...

And it wouldn't be feasible to organize them into lodges? Nobody would be forced to join a lodge, but at X circle you can undertake a quest to become part of said lodge. You would gain certain benefits, purely RP wise.

I envision lodges as very similar to the Companions in Elder Scrolls V. Where everybody is essentially equal, but there are elders that are looked up to. All anybody REALLY cares about is fighting. It would be great to be able to arrange each lodge around a specific clan. Also I think having the ability to leave/rechoose a clan is a MUST... We've kind of gotten screwed with the re-choosing of stuff. :P
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/20/2011 08:47 PM CST
The Pathways will be one such way to differentiate yourself. Though I agree, I've seen several attempts to organize Barbarians into different clans/groups/lodges/etc. Without mechanical support like Moon Mage sects, it doesn't have much steam.

I think it would be cool if we could join Steelclaw Clan, Knife Clan, Tiger Clan, etc.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 02:55 AM CST
>I think it would be cool if we could join Steelclaw Clan, Knife Clan, Tiger Clan, etc.

Or lodges within those clans... :D
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 07:32 AM CST
i already play my human barb plat-side as a "member" of wolf clan, while my tog barb prime-side "belongs" to knife clan. would be great to actually be able to have mechanical support for it. :-)

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 09:55 AM CST
>>And it wouldn't be feasible to organize them into lodges? Nobody would be forced to join a lodge, but at X circle you can undertake a quest to become part of said lodge. You would gain certain benefits, purely RP wise.

Not really, no. One of the things everyone seems to ignore when proposing ideas like this is that Barbarians are largely individualists. Not only the current players thereof, but in the guild's history. Being a guildleader is considered a huge sacrifice because you have to deal with other Barbarians instead of being out fighting.

I get that everyone is seeing other guilds getting their own factions and there's a bit of envy going on, but I don't think it's justifiable for Barbarians.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 06:51 PM CST
>Not really, no. One of the things everyone seems to ignore when proposing ideas like this is that Barbarians are largely individualists. Not only the current players thereof, but in the guild's history. Being a guildleader is considered a huge sacrifice because you have to deal with other Barbarians instead of being out fighting.

>I get that everyone is seeing other guilds getting their own factions and there's a bit of envy going on, but I don't think it's justifiable for Barbarians.

I am not in agreement, for one the game has been for almost a decade and a half made for players to push their characters, no matter the guild into isolation.

On the flip side, it has been a general concept, that the red-names are pushing for more interaction, more character with character and teamwork. I for one like this, and further these clans were by Lore groups of barbarians (or maybe, yet again I have a failing of memory, heck most of these clans go back at least a decade).

Finally the only group that seems to be getting into this faction part is the Bards, all other guilds seem to be staying down their historic ways, Moon Mages with their sects, and from what I know everyone else as just a guild (well besides once again, that the Bards are going to join this group, but their factions are going to be just three to be part of).
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 08:32 PM CST
>>I am not in agreement, for one the game has been for almost a decade and a half made for players to push their characters, no matter the guild into isolation.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

>>On the flip side, it has been a general concept, that the red-names are pushing for more interaction, more character with character and teamwork. I for one like this, and further these clans were by Lore groups of barbarians (or maybe, yet again I have a failing of memory, heck most of these clans go back at least a decade).

The goal is to make group hunting more attractive. Not to make it necessarily more attractive than hunting alone. I imagine they'll err too far one way or the other again, but a subsequent series of corrections will make it entirely unclear which is the intended best method and we'll all sink back into soloing.

>>Finally the only group that seems to be getting into this faction part is the Bards, all other guilds seem to be staying down their historic ways, Moon Mages with their sects, and from what I know everyone else as just a guild (well besides once again, that the Bards are going to join this group, but their factions are going to be just three to be part of).

Clerics were discussed as possibly getting factions within the guild, although how those would be divided was a subject of a lot of debate. Nonetheless, Bards getting their factions is the crux of my point. Another guild is getting something and thus people imagine now is a good time to push their own faction agenda for their own guild.

Barbarians don't go for the formal. The only reason they seem to have a Guild at all is to rubber stamp people through the circles. People haven't hung out at one of the Guildhalls since the Pit(s) became unpopular. Barbarians barely go for the social. There are typically 40+ Barbarians logged in during peak hours. Ask Caraamon how many show up for the gatherings.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/21/2011 11:16 PM CST
A GM awhile ago once said that they would prefer to see heavy RP in regards to clans/lodges before coding anything. This way there's a good chance they won't waste time/resources on something that only a couple people are interested in.

Whether that applies to now with our new GMs, who knows? But I imagine the best way to get all this stuff implemented is to get it going first. I gave a meager effort and dropped it when I didn't see any real interest, and I know Caraamon tried and saw it fail too. That's not to be negative, but if you (general) want it to happen then try to make it happen.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 01:08 AM CST
>I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

He's saying that the game mechanics, which almost require a Barbarian to spend all his/her time hunting alone and discourage sitting around socializing, causes the perceived loner nature of the guild.

I don't know if I agree, as it may simply be that that type of person chooses the guild rather than vice versa, but I can understand the reasoning.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 01:07 PM CST
If development time was spent on clans/lodges, what sort of mechanical support would be useful or fun for people?

If on a library, would people be happy with it working functionally like existing libraries (with a barbaric theme, of course).

Group combat improvements are waiting on Combat 3.0. About the only thing I can think of here would be some sort of task system with group-based challenges - though that is likely out of scope for a single-guild system.

After the Holidays I'll plan a bonfire where we can discuss our options and refresh everyone on what is in store for the Guild's facelift.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 05:33 PM CST
>>I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

>He's saying that the game mechanics, which almost require a Barbarian to spend all his/her time hunting alone and discourage sitting around socializing, causes the perceived loner nature of the guild.

>I don't know if I agree, as it may simply be that that type of person chooses the guild rather than vice versa, but I can understand the reasoning.

Raist seems to have a Shadow7988 translation device. But missed a key point, that I didn't make clear. This was for me cross guilds, anyone who is big into getting the most skills moving over the least time, spends their time in combat.

>After the Holidays I'll plan a bonfire where we can discuss our options and refresh everyone on what is in store for the Guild's facelift.

I'm seriously thinking about dusting off my barbarian.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 05:38 PM CST
>If development time was spent on clans/lodges, what sort of mechanical support would be useful or fun for people?

Just off the bat, pre/post titles are the most immediate and hopefully easiest way to keep a sense of inclusion. Items with a crest/symbol being sold (preferrably non-combat, since they wouldn't stack up to forged stuff) would also support the us-ness.

But in all honesty, minimum, just some sense that they exist in the world with some lore behind them and maybe an occasional NPC reaction to them would go a long way to whetting people's interest and giving them a sense of legitimacy.

In my opinion, a lot of PC-started organizations suffer from the "oh, a club, how cute. Why don't you go play in the corner" syndrome that comes with lack of any real recognition. This is even more true if you're trying to do multiple competing or complimentary groups, as you end up having a hard time finding enough people to make it worth the effort.

>If on a library, would people be happy with it working functionally like existing libraries (with a barbaric theme, of course).

I wouldn't throw a fit, though I agree with the others that my preference would be for a storyteller NPC style.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 05:41 PM CST
>I wouldn't throw a fit, though I agree with the others that my preference would be for a storyteller NPC style.

I wouldn't throw a fit either, but I think it would be a great way to add to the feel of the guild. But if you can do that with a more standard library, then well. Again, even though I threw the other idea out there, I'd be for it.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 07:40 PM CST
I vote you work on things that are the quickest and easiest to complete. Flesh out the guild. I'm not going to presume to know how long it takes to code this or that so it's hard to make a specific suggestion on what to work on but I think it's best if you don't start a long project that will take forever to see the light of day. Knock out lots smaller things that add a coolness factor to the guild. Items and taunts seem to fit the bill. Maybe another verb we do differently. I also like the barb library idea where an old war chief sits around a camp fire and tells historical stories but I don't know how long that would take.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nasty
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 09:18 PM CST
Barbarian titles would be great. Especially on the mid-upper end. Around 400-500ish ranks. I know as I approach 90th there's only a handful of titles that I'll be getting and most will be roar. Heck, I got 4 titles at 85th circle because I got 1 roar.

I think a few "short" quests would be awesome as well. Something like going to find a long lost barbarian who would teach us how to dance different. OOC alternate dance messaging that I know has been tossed around.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/22/2011 10:46 PM CST

I always thought it would be cool if the command - Dance weapon, gave different messaging based on the ranks you had in it, instead of - you do an impressive display of agility.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 12:11 AM CST
Was just thinking as I slowly approach 500 in MO that it'd be sweet if there was another MO based title at 500... Not really sure what it could be but it'd be nice to have!
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 04:37 AM CST
Oh, this would be when I put in my annual request for more brawling titles too please. I should have kept that list I had of suggestions.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 07:03 AM CST

I think MO is going say in 3.0.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 08:30 AM CST
I'd be happy with either type of library.

If you did opt to go with the "story-teller" variety, there's those story-tellers up in muspar'i that you could "borrow" code from to utilize this method. Would be even cooler if you could situate them in places of barbarian historical interest, as well as guildhalls <i.e. the dance pits>. Would be great if the dancemasters could tell us more about themselves,how the dance came to be, etc.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 02:08 PM CST
3 1/7 words:

CHAKREL WEAPONS

>exp magic

Inner Magic: 346 28% Sparkling!(35/34)

You search the orc raider.
The raider was carrying a brown paper-wrapped package! UPS Delivers.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 04:55 PM CST
>>If development time was spent on clans/lodges, what sort of mechanical support would be useful or fun for people?

Something as simple as pre/post titles would be a fine start. Perhaps a few new rooms in the areas to act as headquarters for each area. (I dislike the word "lodge," seems too modern a concept to me). Some literature describing how each is different would also be appreciated.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 09:34 PM CST
I'm not one for lodges either, I get images of Ralph Kramden all in my head
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 10:04 PM CST
I don't get it, about the Ralph Kramden, and not sure if I want to.

Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 10:55 PM CST
The honeymooner's
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/23/2011 11:53 PM CST
When you people are thinking about "lodges" you're thinking in the literal term as it applies today. Think something along the lines of an Iroquois Longhouse Lodge, like this:

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/IroquoisVillage/images/figure1longhouselg.gif

Essentially where a group of barbarins (indians in above pictures) would sit and talk and have a chance to RP the barbarian guild as opposed to the endless monotony of fighting constantly. Yes, it's all well and dandy but when all you do for 8 years is fight, with no RP with very many other barbs, you look for stuff like this. I can fully understand where Caraamon is coming from.

Ok, if you don't want it, then it's as easy as not joining it. But I think the overwhelming majority of barbarians would enjoy being a part of a common place where younger barbarians can freely speak/find older barbs to answer questions and such. And there could be a fast majority of RP benefits as well. You could have, when the new guild comes out, beginning lodges that are for people looking to go down one particular path, whether that be the path of the Flame, Predator, or Horde where upon joining, you get a small duration boost to the abilities in such pathways, while at the same time taking a small duration hit for using abilities not associated with your Lodge's Pathway, thus keeping a neutral area.

Upon advancing in the guild (or better yet, a separate system within the Lodge itself) you would gain access to various purely RP benefits, such as the proposed message varieties for dances/roars/zerks/meditations. Various titles could be added for each lodge as well.

Other options would be Lodges based soely on abilities. Yes, the Predator pathway is designed for sneaky/ranged barbs, but to specify even more, we could break down lodges based on if they want to sneak melee or shoot, pole ranged weapons, melee weapons, two handed weapons, one handed weapons, Shield users, parry users, Blunts or Melee, or any combination of the above.

Yes, yes, I can see all you naysayers out there saying, "Well if I don't choose a lodge then there's no benefit to me!" I'd like to point out where you're mistaken in that. You would not have the added benefit of a small, and I mean small, boost in duration, but you would have the added benefit of the ability to use all pathway's abilities at an equal power. As well as keeping the original messaging for dances/zerks/roars/meditations (Which would in itself be somewhat unique, as most Lodged Barbarians would have different messaging), there could be various circle, skill, or even achievement based titles for lodgeless barbarians. Loner I know would be a fantastic title I think a decent amount of people would wear.

What it comes down to is that this brings about a chance for the barbarian guild to do something never done before. EXPAND on it's RP more so than any library could ever accomplish. You say that all barbarians are "loners" by nature. I say who are you to dictate how I roleplay? My barbarian is anything but a loner. When it comes to fighting I do prefer to fight alone most of the time, but when I'm not fighting, I don't just sit there. Heck, each lodge could have it's own storyteller with story's of the lodges beginnings, the barbarian guild in general, etc. The expanse of such a system is only limited by our imagination (because I have full faith in Kodius and his coding abilities).

That's my two cents.

Healf
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 01:52 AM CST
Have to keep in mind not everyone sees barbarians in the same way. To some yes they look at them like Conan, but that isn't everyone. Personally I've never seen my barbarian like that. A professional fighter and warrior yes but not barbaric.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 05:58 AM CST
http://www.albionmich.com/history/histor_notebook/images_06/MooseLodge1940edited.jpg

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 08:17 AM CST
(I dislike the word "lodge," seems too modern a concept to me).

if you're looking RL medieval, the masonic lodge has been around for a very long time. <based on their own ritual, since the time of King Solomon. based on external historical records, <they were among the groups persecuted by the inquisition> since medieval times around the same time as various "guilds" came to be in western europe.

Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 06:32 PM CST
>>if you're looking RL medieval, the masonic lodge has been around for a very long time. <based on their own ritual, since the time of King Solomon. based on external historical records, <they were among the groups persecuted by the inquisition> since medieval times around the same time as various "guilds" came to be in western europe.

The Masonic lodges are exactly what I was thinking of, and the concept seems weird for Dragonrealms.