Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 08:01 PM CST
>(I dislike the word "lodge," seems too modern a concept to me).

I can understand this. But generally speaking, and for lack of a better name at the moment, lodges would a great addition to the Guild. We can call it whatever we wanted to be honest, but Lodge seemed to be the general term being thrown around.

I think it'd be kind of cool to be grouped into different Hordes, but as that is one of the proposed Pathways, I doubt that'd fly.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/24/2011 08:12 PM CST

The vision I get whenever someone says lodges is always the native american version of the sweat lodges that were used for spiritual enlightenment and religious reasons. I could see how some of the different tribes around DR could've adopted that sort of lodge for their gathering spots. As far as Masonic Lodges, I think that'd be more a Moonie or Trader thread honestly.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/25/2011 09:40 AM CST
>>The Masonic lodges are exactly what I was thinking of, and the concept seems weird for Dragonrealms.

Mostly because it already has hermetic societies. Hey mage guilds.
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/26/2011 03:52 AM CST
Kodius, How about updating the barbarian forges into Weaponsmithing halls or even full blown crafting halls? Give us anvils, tubs, and grindstones that are masterfully made for weaponsmithing. Things do not need to be masterful I guess, but it would be nice to have our forges upgraded and both of these systems are yours.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Looking for Ideas 12/27/2011 02:09 PM CST
>Kodius, How about updating the barbarian forges into Weaponsmithing halls or even full blown crafting halls? Give us anvils, tubs, and grindstones that are masterfully made for weaponsmithing. Things do not need to be masterful I guess, but it would be nice to have our forges upgraded and both of these systems are yours.

+1
Re: Looking for Ideas 02/29/2012 02:52 PM CST
Kodius, you have commented in the past that the barb rewrite is done just waiting for the other systems to be released. I am chomping at the bit for access to some of the new (coming) barbarian items. The Grey Raven Scrip shop has some sweet items in it for most guilds (and yes that tunic for barbarians) and there are some sweet things in the end prizes for the Ghost Ship quest. But I would really like access to some of the new stuff now (even if the new functionality turned off). If you cannot release it with or without the new functionality working, how about adding vouchers for the new and improved chakral, warhorns and some of whatever else is coming as end prizes/scrip buyable. It would be a great teaser as we move closer to 3.0. Or just a comment saying that the Scrip Shop will eventually have some of these new items. This would be highly appreciated and help me and others make decisions on how we are spending our scrip.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:21 AM CDT
OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US?

But seriously, seems pretty reasonable. I am generally happy with the supernatural requirements, I figured they'd be on par with Ranger magic.

I seem to recall a couple Utility abilities in the new skill list? Will utility have to be worked from 0?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:24 AM CDT
>>I seem to recall a couple Utility abilities in the new skill list? Will utility have to be worked from 0?

I'll sync with Kodius on that. I think they've been applied to a different skill, but he can confirm.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:27 AM CDT
>>I'll sync with Kodius on that. I think they've been applied to a different skill, but he can confirm.

Thanks Soch. Even if utility doesn't count towards circle reqs, I'd like a way to train it.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:36 AM CDT
I probably should have saved my questions for all at once...

I see no mention of Expertise. The other guild only skills (including the new ones like Theurgy and Summoning) have soft requirements. Does the concept still exist, and will it be released with 3.0?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:42 AM CDT
>>I see no mention of Expertise. The other guild only skills (including the new ones like Theurgy and Summoning) have soft requirements. Does the concept still exist, and will it be released with 3.0?

It does exist, but the abilities that will use/train it won't be available until after X3 releases. Once they get released, the req will be instantiated and gradfathering will occur.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:43 AM CDT
>>It does exist, but the abilities that will use/train it won't be available until after X3 releases. Once they get released, the req will be instantiated and gradfathering will occur.

Ok, thanks.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:53 AM CDT
Less a complaint, and more of a difference of opinion, but considering it's supposed to be one of the focuses of the guild, I'm disappointed Warding doesn't have more emphasis.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 02:00 AM CDT
>>Less a complaint, and more of a difference of opinion, but considering it's supposed to be one of the focuses of the guild, I'm disappointed Warding doesn't have more emphasis.

I was initially thinking that Augmentation and Warding should have been switched, but then I looked at the ability pool (old and new) and it seems in line. Emphasis 1A is magic resistance, but unlettered emphasis #1 is is being awesome at combat.

A good analogy is small edge for Necros, I think: very important thematically, but a tert skill, so you have to find a nice medium ground between fitting theme and not making people overtrain tertiary skills.

It's not like you couldn't train it the same as augmentation, anyways. Should be easy.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:51 AM CDT
ok, just a question here:

I presently have ME as my 1st weapon, and LE as my 2nd.

Does this mean that my 2he <my 3rd weapon> will be grandfathered to be my 2nd weapon in order that i meet my current circle req? if so, cool.

other reqs look fine.

Other question, which skills are included for the weaponmastery calculation? All melee ? top ? melee weapons?

thanks

-rawr-

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 04:34 AM CDT
Seems pretty straightforward, Socharis. My only real question is...

<<* You have a Mastery requirement on par with your primary weapon reqs. This means that you need to decide on a branch of weapons (melee or ranged) to stick with.>>

What exactly does that mean? We will only be able to train one? I thought both skills were going to be introduced and trainable, or am I wrong and we'll need to pick one or the other to have in the skill set?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 10:14 AM CDT
>>Does this mean that my 2he <my 3rd weapon> will be grandfathered to be my 2nd weapon in order that i meet my current circle req? if so, cool.

Yep

>>Other question, which skills are included for the weaponmastery calculation? All melee ? top ? melee weapons?

We'll talk about the Mastery grandfathering in the Exp folder :)

>>What exactly does that mean? We will only be able to train one? I thought both skills were going to be introduced and trainable, or am I wrong and we'll need to pick one or the other to have in the skill set?

You can totally train both, but only one of them will count toward circling.

>>Evasion

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but it's definitely the case that barbarians are expected to have high evasion by the Guild, on account of being in combat a lot.

>>Tactics will be trainable in combat right?

Yep

>>What if you have a ranged weapon the same rank? Then ranged mastery pulls from your bonus pool?

The way it will work is, your melee and missile masteries will be derived from your existing skills like everybody else, and then the highest one will be used as your circling req and grandfathered up.

--

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:30 AM CDT
My only complaint is that Offhand doesn't count for the weapon reqs. It's currently my second weapon, so it may just be me.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:38 AM CDT
additional question.

Why is thievery resrticted from barbarians? stealing COULD count toward barbarian survivals in 2.0 reqs.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:46 AM CDT
>>Why is thievery resrticted from barbarians? stealing COULD count toward barbarian survivals in 2.0 reqs.

Because it's not thematically something any barbarian guildleader would use as a gauge for how skilled a barbarian is.

--

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 11:47 AM CDT
Surprisingly I'm ok with the reqs. Still don't think we'll be as effective, for starters for years most of us have overtrained skils because our buffs were stat based. So personally I overtrained to get better stats. For increased effectiveness. I don't honestly think the grandfathering will keep us on par. Just my 2 kronars
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 12:04 PM CDT
Stupid question - and I am sure it was discussed before and I forget - how much of a role does stats play in spells/roars/berserks/forms if we now have a skill to gauge them?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 12:50 PM CDT
>>Why is thievery resrticted from barbarians? stealing COULD count toward barbarian survivals in 2.0 reqs.
Because it's not thematically something any barbarian guildleader would use as a gauge for how skilled a barbarian is.

Interesting.

It doesn't tie in with how justice currently works though.

Currently : Barbs can circle on stealing, Bards cannot.
Under new reqs, Barbs can't circle on thievery, Bards can.

Currently : If you have a warrent in the province, the barbarian guildleaders don't turn you in. They will circle you anyway. The bard guildleaders not only turn you in, but give you a "hit" to your bard mojo.

Now, I know the bard history of theft - it was a bard that taught Kalag kel'hurst how to pickpocket after all. But Barbarians hordes have done their historic share of plundering as well. So I don't see the Barbarian guildleaders as a bunch of prissy paladins when it comes to pilferage.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 12:53 PM CDT
>>Currently : Barbs can circle on stealing, Bards cannot.

Incorrect. Bards Can (mine does).

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:05 PM CDT
>>It doesn't tie in with how justice currently works though.

This has nothing to do with justice. These are circle reqs.

>>If you have a warrent in the province

This means you got caught stealing, which is the opposite of being good at it.

>>historic share of plundering as well.

Plundering and stealing differ greatly with respect to how alive the person who used to own the goods is.

--

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 01:15 PM CDT
>>stats play in spells/roars/berserks/forms if we now have a skill to gauge them

We are moving to a centralized "contest" system so spells and abilities will all factor in stats the same way depending on the contest. For example, Save vs Fear is one most roars will use. Here, the Barbarian's charisma matter's most just like it does now.

Discipline will continue to have a small impact on forms and meditations, and stamima/strength/agility on berserking - just not to the effect it does now, and not with the cross-penalization we currently have. ie. discipline won't penalize your berserking potential.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:06 PM CDT
<<Plundering and stealing differ greatly with respect to how alive the person who used to own the goods is.>>

AH! The guild leaders approve of grave robbing! I must add this to my RP.
______
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:15 PM CDT
Since we now have magic requirements (OK, OK Supernatural requirements) to circle, I would like to start training them. Get a jump on the new reqs so to speak. Is there a good reason (coming abilities or penalties) that I should consider before starting to listen to (YUCK) magic classes?

Oh and Kodius, how abouturningng off the penalties for training these soon to be required guild skills now please?

My thanks.

____
Glenn Cover mind behind Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss

Reply Delete
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:23 PM CDT
>>Since we now have magic requirements (OK, OK Supernatural requirements) to circle, I would like to start training them. Get a jump on the new reqs so to speak. Is there a good reason (coming abilities or penalties) that I should consider before starting to listen to (YUCK) magic classes?

The new skills (aside from Inner Fire) won't exist until the day the reqs change, so it's quite impossible to get a jump start on them. Last I heard, the rest of the stuff you can train right now (Harness, Power Perception, Arcana, Target Magic) will be either useless to the new reqs or actually penalize you. So unless we can listen to a Primary Magic class right now, there's no way or reason to train them.
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:23 PM CDT
every critter you kill is essentially "grave-robbed" of its loot, its skin and its clothes <armor if worn>.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:26 PM CDT
Oh, Socharis, one more thing: it occurred to me that Utility is prohibited from circle requirements and Attunement/Arcana are not. Is this intentional, to allow a Barbarian to dip into magic/enchanting while not penalizing his ability to circle, or an oversight?
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:27 PM CDT
>>Is there a good reason (coming abilities or penalties) that I should consider before starting to listen to (YUCK) magic classes?

Remember that barbarians specifically will get Inner Fire grandfathered up to at-circle. If you think you can get Inner Fire / PM higher than it will be at your current circle, then feel free to train it, but it's probably not a phenominal use of your time since you'd get those ranks for free normally.

--

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:30 PM CDT
>but it's probably not a phenominal use of your time since you'd get those ranks for free normally.

Question, for barbarians, are the new magic skills considered the "new, won't suck bonus pools" or "derived, will suck bonus pools."

I doubt it will matter, since the magic bonus pools for Barbarians are pretty much non-existant, but I'm curious.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:34 PM CDT
How much Inner fire will it actually take to "fuel" our various abilities?

Generally for MUs, you can pretty much tell how much TM it takes to wipe out a specific critter because its more or less in line with the Weapon skill required to do so. So usually a mage has a certain about of PM fuelling his spells, etc. But we're in sort of uncharted waters here with the new barb reqs. We don't know for instance how long a 100 ranks of inner fire will fuel a berserk, roar, or dance.

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 03:54 PM CDT
>>it occurred to me that Utility is prohibited from circle requirements and Attunement/Arcana are not. Is this intentional, to allow a Barbarian to dip into magic/enchanting while not penalizing his ability to circle, or an oversight?

Oversight. My bad. Those two are also not allowed.

>>I doubt it will matter, since the magic bonus pools for Barbarians are pretty much non-existant, but I'm curious.

This is my basic reasoning, but no, it won't suck bonus pool. The only magic bonus pool will come from PP+harness, which will be basically nonexistent for most barbs. I'll probably drain your PM into a bonus pool too, to be honest.

>>How much Inner fire will it actually take to "fuel" our various abilities?

Please ask this in a different thread / folder. I don't want to clutter the circle reqs thread with too many ability discussions.

--

Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 06:36 PM CDT
The reqs look good to me. Slightly surprised we didn't get either a soft or hard Defending req of some sort, but that doesn't bother me either.

Thanks for all the hard work Socharis.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:20 PM CDT
I really like the new requirements. I was going to complain about out second spirit being not the same as third magic for tert magic guilds, but it was only 30 rank difference. So not a lot difference. Now I want to know when we can just do this.

______
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:41 PM CDT
The requirements look fine on the whole, but...

<<Because it's not thematically something any barbarian guildleader would use as a gauge for how skilled a barbarian is.

Except for those pesky Island guildleaders, right? Let's just forget about P4 and brush the whole culture and character of the region under the rug. Crazy smugglers, pirates, assassins, and thieves the lot of them.

I honestly get the "idea" about restricting the skill, but let's be frank: it's years too late. Years and years. The argument came up in 98 and 99 and was forcefully put to bed.

With the exception of Paladins (and arguably Warrior Mages based on guild lore) there's no reason any guild with a survival requirement would not recognize Thievery as meritorious for the purposes of advancement.

While not every Barbarian guildleader would necessarily look at Thievery and go "You're obviously doing well as a Barbarian!" you can easily see Anhh'shre, Tusfaov, and/or Stumara going "Hey, nice moves!"
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:45 PM CDT
<<Anhh'shre, Tusfaov, and/or Stumara going "Hey, nice moves!">>

The only one that would even potentially THINK of something like this would be Anhh'shre. And ultimately even SHE wouldn't think lightly of sidestepping the Redthorne's by openly supporting her pupils undercutting them. There is no 'sweeping the lore under the rug' going on here, since none of the current lore supports the Barbarian Guildleaders as assassins, smugglers, etc.

GM Jaedren
Events Guy
Re: Circle Reqs 03/16/2012 08:57 PM CDT
Leej - please don't derail a good informative thread about something the vast majority of people literally don't care about.

Thanks in advance.

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.