1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 07:35 PM CDT

<<Focusing on berserks is suboptimal currently, let alone 3.0. >>

Right now it is... how do you know in 3.0 it will be?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/30/2011 02:15 PM CDT
We are moving away from a system where you either dance, or berserk - but never both. In the new system there is some overlap, and you can choose what to use depending on how you want to play. Each of the types of abilities offers some offense, some defense, some utility and some magic resistance.

I will reveal a bit about how learning abilities will work. Each ability will require X number of abilities from that Path to be known, before it can be learned. Each ability will also consume Y slots.

So, many of the lower level abilities will only require 0-2 abilities to be known from a Path. Roar Anger the Earth, for example, might be selectable without any previously known abilities. Dragon Form might require 2. Berserk Volcano, might need 7.

Each Barbarian will have an opportunity to select a "Path" if they so choose. Choosing a path will give additional slots, make it appear as though you know more abilities from that path than you do and will have some RP tie-ins along the way.

Anyways, the initial ability list was just that - a start. It has already changed, and will continue to evolve with your much-appreciated input over the next few months.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/30/2011 04:20 PM CDT
>>Anyways, the initial ability list was just that - a start. It has already changed, and will continue to evolve with your much-appreciated input over the next few months.

If you kept the dedicated perception booster, I will mail you a keg of beer. Not even kidding.
Malkien
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/30/2011 09:17 PM CDT

Sweet, any chance on posting some of the stuff that has changed already? I both RP and tactic wise like the Predator path so I was looking forward to that.

Heitak
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/31/2011 06:51 AM CDT
<<Each Barbarian will have an opportunity to select a "Path" if they so choose. Choosing a path will give additional slots, make it appear as though you know more abilities from that path than you do and will have some RP tie-ins along the way.>>

when you put this in test, will we be able to try out various paths so we can reselect various ones to try them out?

thanks

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 07:32 AM CDT
Yes, that would be ideal for players to test with.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 09:20 AM CDT
Are they available on the test server now and can those of us that attended SimuCon sing in yet?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 04:11 PM CDT

urm...what is this test server? Will this be made available to everyone? Or is it already?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 04:15 PM CDT
>urm...what is this test server? Will this be made available to everyone? Or is it already?

It's a small server used to test things before their release into one of the actual game servers.

Generally accessable only by staff and community reps (or whatever they're called, the blue named people), sometimes it's opened to others when they need bodies to test things without risking crashing one of the playing servers.

I got access a couple years ago because I'm the third son of the king of Zimbabwe. Or maybe that last part was made up. You decide.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 04:17 PM CDT
Doesn't seem very fair, but whatever.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 04:47 PM CDT
>>Generally accessable only by staff and community reps (or whatever they're called, the blue named people), sometimes it's opened to others when they need bodies to test things without risking crashing one of the playing servers.

A plat account also grants you access for most situations where community reps would also have access.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 07:47 PM CDT
>>Doesn't seem very fair, but whatever.

Not fair that the test instance that gives you no tangible benefit isn't open to you?
Malkien
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 08:00 PM CDT
It's my understand that all players will be able to eventually test the waters to see what types of stuff they like before having to opt in to learn it forever. That may not be in the Test instance, but I can't imagine GMs not doing what they did all the other types stuff like this took place.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 08:05 PM CDT
The test instance is for large-scale changes that occupy a middle ground of "We need actual player testing." and "This is way too risky to dump into Plat." Nothing that happens to your PC's copy in test affects the real version of him, we don't guarantee the game even works right in the instance, and for the purposes of most testing we want an arbitrarily small population to keep things under control.

It's really nothing to feel envious over, especially since we've done testing and previews across different instances and even different account types for most of DR's existence.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 10:26 PM CDT
<<Not fair that the test instance that gives you no tangible benefit isn't open to you?
The benefit is you get to know the system before most everyone else. So yes, not fair, but as I said. whatever.

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 10:46 PM CDT
>>The benefit is you get to know the system before most everyone else. So yes, not fair, but as I said. whatever.

This is a very intangible benefit of arguable consequence. I would argue it has no real value, especially since for systems rewrites this wide they always release a general preview so everyone can try out their new stuff before buying it, so to speak.
Malkien
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 11:24 PM CDT
Some Barb stuff may have slipped out onto Test, but I am lacking some backend support to enable conversions over to the new system. My original estimate was 30-days following the opening of X3 to player test. So, we'll see how close I can come :P

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/01/2011 11:45 PM CDT
>>The benefit is you get to know the system before most everyone else. So yes, not fair, but as I said. whatever.

By this logic, Premium Previews are also an unfair advantage (they're not).

You could always become a community leader, buy a Plat account, or do things like go to the Con to get access to beta testing.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/02/2011 12:14 AM CDT
<<This is a very intangible benefit of arguable consequence. I would argue it has no real value

Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I don't value it, but thats neither here nor there.

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/02/2011 12:29 AM CDT
>>Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I don't value it, but thats neither here nor there.

Agree to disagree, then. I am also of the opinion that you are a nerd.

That's what you get for disagreeing with me on an INTERNET BILLBOARD. Now stand down or I'll have to give you another verbal thrashing!
Malkien
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/02/2011 12:31 AM CDT
How will I ever sleep tonight?

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/02/2011 12:48 AM CDT
And the conversation regarding the fairness of the test server is done.

It doesn't belong here.

Thanks.

Svafa
_
If you have questions or comments, please email me at DR-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/02/2011 02:26 PM CDT
In regard to the abilities barbarians are going to have in 3.0 -- is anything going to change in regard to dual load? or will that be the same?

My barbarians don't have it yet, but I'd still like to know what is scheduled for this abioity.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/03/2011 09:10 AM CDT
Initially these abilities will remain as they are - however I am considering making them purchaseable with slots as part of thematic RP/maneuver sets. Just too much work to squeeze in at the moment. The thought behind making them purchaseable is you can earn them sooner if you want to, you can choose not to ever learn them, and spend the points elsewhere, and it makes the thematic sets possible.

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/03/2011 10:30 AM CDT
I like that idea Kodius. Awesome.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/21/2011 12:42 PM CDT
Hello, been gone awhile.

Caaramon >Second, there will be a complete TDP refund at about the same time as this is released.

What's this about and what's the talk about changing the way TDP's are gained?

Also, sounds like dances and meditations will be like Thief Khri
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/21/2011 02:39 PM CDT
Welcome back Rayje.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/22/2011 10:00 PM CDT

Welcome back, and man are those loaded questions.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/23/2011 08:49 PM CDT
>Welcome back Rayje.

Thanks. The game may change but its good to see the good people havent :)
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/23/2011 09:44 PM CDT
Sorry I haven't replied, I was feeling lazy and hoping someone else would.

>What's this about and what's the talk about changing the way TDP's are gained?

Basically, you'd have a top tier of skills drawn from each skillset that you gain TDPs at a rate faster than now, and everything else gains at a rate slower than now.

It's top 3 primary skills, top 3 from each secondary, and top 3 tertiary.

>Also, sounds like dances and meditations will be like Thief Khri

More or less, it seems like a similar system.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 09/25/2011 12:20 AM CDT
Welcome back Rayje it has been a long time, hope you have been well. Glad to see you back
1 2 4 Next Next_page