Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/12/2011 08:50 PM CST
>>How exactly will magic ranks affect some of the new abilities, and will we ever see a quest to unlearn them, similar to paladins unlearning stealing?

We uh...kind of want/need "Supernatural" ranks. At least under the new system, they determine our ability use.

Unlearning them would be pretty counterproductive.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/12/2011 10:00 PM CST
>We uh...kind of want/need "Supernatural" ranks. At least under the new system, they determine our ability use.

He(she?) is talking about how some of our more magic inclined abilities may use real magic magic skills (such as Arcana), and they have been mentioned to have undescribed costs associated with them.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/12/2011 10:21 PM CDT
I might be chiming in a bit late but my only concern about the new list is the name of some of the abilities.

>>Piranha - A basic form that grants the user enhanced evasion and balance.

Prianhas aren't exactly known for being evasive or graceful.

>>Python - Darting in and out, the barbarian parries with incredible speed and skill while practicing this form.

Pythons don't dart in and out. They lie perfectly still and strike when a prey comes close within range. They are non-venomous so the strike is followed by constriction of its victim. They are not an animal associated with speed, and are generally non-aggressive towards humans unless disturbed or bothered.

Cobras on the other hand...

>>Tsunami - As fluid as waves, the barbarian becomes resistant to all physical damage.

I have less of an issue with this one as I do with the other two, just that a Tsunami is usually associated with an unstoppable offense not an impenetrable defense.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 07:24 AM CDT
>I might be chiming in a bit late but my only concern about the new list is the name of some of the abilities.

I thought there was a big disclaimer about names being tentative?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 06:13 PM CDT
Please consider renaming Buffalo to Bison unless you want to indicate the African or Water Buffalo.

Thank you!
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 06:52 PM CDT
I'm not a barbarian, but I'd like to request that the names of the forms scale inversely with the usefulness. For example, to get their strongest anti-magic barrier, a barbarian should have to dance sparkling pony. Thank you.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 06:56 PM CDT
That's fine as long as mages have to sprinkle themselves with fairy dust and chant "pretty preTTY RAINBOWS!" before casting any electricity or water spell
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 08:54 PM CDT
>That's fine as long as mages have to sprinkle themselves with fairy dust and chant "pretty preTTY RAINBOWS!" before casting any electricity or water spell

...you might want to look at cleric communes before suggesting that.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/13/2011 09:57 PM CDT
heh you said it, not me.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/14/2011 01:29 AM CDT
<<dance sparkling pony

Like this?

http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=130435747022956&id=100001695931436&refid=20

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/17/2011 08:32 PM CDT
Just some thoughts:

Any chance Wail could be named something like Lash instead? Wail to me connotates some sort of miserable screaming while Lash of Torment always seemed a cool name I thought.

Also I think that it would be good if Wolverine, Boar and Centaur were used in some form. Badgers are super tough and awesome animals and I wish they could still be incorporated somehow. A Tiger form would be cool..maybe in place of the Dragon for parity?

Also I will just say that I like a lot of the names but I agree Cobra is a cool name and Panther is more appropriate than Lynx for the abilities boosted. Kina wish there was still an Eagle form in there somewhere. Monkey, Turtle, Piranha and Toad are all names that I would reconsider to give them more of a fantasy 'majestic' feel.

Anyways, input.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/28/2011 10:42 PM CDT

Not enough dance type stuff for non berserking Barbs,also didnt see where dual load was incorperated.Those types of abilities should be availible to whatever path you choose since it is not a guild exclusive ability.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/29/2011 03:49 AM CDT
Speaking of dual load, any thought to allowing us to dual load slings? And throw with both hands at once.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 04/29/2011 08:39 AM CDT
My guess is dual load/dual throw will end up in the weapon feats that we're getting and not tied to any specific ability.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 05/07/2011 07:55 PM CDT

Another good weapon feet would be throwing ya Shield like a HT instead of havin the penalty of a non Ht weapon.

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 05/10/2011 03:26 PM CDT
even have a few shield bashing manuvers for brawling after you hit a certain skill in shields, honestly i think a barb beating things with his hands would use a shield strapped to his arm to cuase some damage on there victim, especially when berserking!
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 07/20/2011 09:11 AM CDT
Been a few months, I just wanted to know how things are going? Any word on a time line?

Heitak
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 07/20/2011 05:23 PM CDT
There will be much discussion at the Con. Still time to sign up :P

Really though, I plan to post lots more specifics once the beans have been spilled there!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 07/21/2011 01:08 PM CDT
I would if I could, but sadly playing a Text based game already costs me quite a bit of money ;( lol Never thought I would say that.

Heitak
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 07/22/2011 01:27 PM CDT
Any new titles to accompany the new abilities and paths?

~ Bractos
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/17/2011 05:51 PM CDT
Well... Simucon has come and gone.

Can we get an update on where Barbs are going and some sort of timeline?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/21/2011 01:43 AM CDT

Not sure if its been discussed or suggested yet, but since sharkteeth might not have a place, why not allow them to ease the innerfire cost of abilities their linked too or grant bonus durations. Rather than their current form which may not be needed in 3.0
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/21/2011 03:49 PM CDT
I was kind of anxiously awaiting news from the con to hear about barb changes too...
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/22/2011 04:31 AM CDT
While I did talk to Kodius about barbarian stuff at the Con, most of the discussions were about crafting. The one thing I can tell you here is that Everyone attending the con will have access to the test instance AND.... By the end of August we will be able to start testing the new barbrian and combat abilities there. So REAL SOON we should start getting some feedback on what is comeing.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 01:22 AM CDT

So maybe im missing something....but everything i read about this list so far pretty much negates those that are not dancers. The zerks seem to be all short lived now and dancing is now the only real sustainable bonus. This new list seems to push every barbarian to use a form of dance/form with berserk as a backup. So basically my near 70 circles of pushing my stats to min/max zerking will backfire tremendously when i have to rely on a dance with no discipline heh. Do i need to immediately start pushing every TDP i get into discipline so i can be viable with this release? Will there still be a niche barbarian who can rely on zerks that the current system allows?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 01:52 AM CDT
>The zerks seem to be all short lived now and dancing is now the only real sustainable bonus.

I don't see the issue. Berserks will be quick to start, short term boosts, while dances are slower to start but longer term. There's nothing inherent to the system to prevent you from zerking back to back to back.

It may be slightly more annoying, but you can't have everything.

>So basically my near 70 circles of pushing my stats to min/max zerking will backfire tremendously when i have to rely on a dance with no discipline heh. Do i need to immediately start pushing every TDP i get into discipline so i can be viable with this release?

First off, the new system will basically remove most of the annoying things about our abilities, such as being penalized for having better stats.

Second, there will be a complete TDP refund at about the same time as this is released.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 04:03 AM CDT
<<So maybe im missing something....but everything i read about this list so far pretty much negates those that are not dancers. The zerks seem to be all short lived now and dancing is now the only real sustainable bonus. This new list seems to push every barbarian to use a form of dance/form with berserk as a backup. So basically my near 70 circles of pushing my stats to min/max zerking will backfire tremendously when i have to rely on a dance with no discipline heh. Do i need to immediately start pushing every TDP i get into discipline so i can be viable with this release? Will there still be a niche barbarian who can rely on zerks that the current system allows?

Or you could look at it this way: Right now you are forced into one or the other, with no real middle ground due to penalty based mechanics. Under the new system, you a given the freedom to mix and match to your hearts content with no inherent penalties for choosing to use one type of ability over another or in conjunction with eachother.

Dances will be your base effect, providing long lasting set-and-forget style buffs. Berserks will be your more fluid buffs, with shorter duration and being more adaptable to changing battle conditions because of their quick start-up.

<<So basically my near 70 circles of pushing my stats to min/max zerking will backfire tremendously when i have to rely on a dance with no discipline heh. Do i need to immediately start pushing every TDP i get into discipline so i can be viable with this release?

You are getting a complete TDP and stat reset, so you'll be able to train whatever stats you want to work for the current system now and not have to worry about training for what may be coming down the pipes. I can guarantee that the current penalty-based system that you have right now will not apply in the new system, so there's no need to worry about that aspect even if there wasn't a TDP reset coming.

-Evran

Move Emalerje to the town of Dirge, eh!
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 06:28 AM CDT
To answer the actual question:

<<Will there still be a niche barbarian who can rely on zerks that the current system allows?

Not if he wants to be effective, no. If he's comfortable with unnecessarily handicapping himself, however, he can do nothing but berserk to his heart's content.

You'll also be wanting to train every stat in 3.0 for magic resistance purposes, so the berserking Barb as it exists currently is a dead man walking. Fortunately, we're all getting a free stat retrain in 3.0, so we can fix whatever quirks we have.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 07:05 AM CDT
>>Not if he wants to be effective, no.

Where in all of Kodius' posts have you read that being berserk only would not be effective? It's very possible (with a new engagement system + combat/stealth fixes) that a berserking Barbarian can be viable not only in PvE but PvP as well.

>>You'll also be wanting to train every stat in 3.0 for magic resistance purposes, so the berserking Barb as it exists currently is a dead man walking.

Magic Resistance will become active, and thus fall under the Warding skill. I'm not sure if stats will play into it but Warding will be the main pillar behind BMR.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 07:41 AM CDT
>>Magic Resistance will become active, and thus fall under the Warding skill. I'm not sure if stats will play into it but Warding will be the main pillar behind BMR.

I definately remember this being said. I forget though, did they clarify that ALL passive MR is going away? Basically the MR that everyone has, or just BMR is going away and becoming active? Basically want to know is everyone's basic MR becoming active under the warding skill?

Thanks.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 07:50 AM CDT
<<Where in all of Kodius' posts have you read that being berserk only would not be effective?

The part where the system is designed to support using as many of our abilities in concert as we can.

Specifically, if magic resistance takes one entire berserk, that only leaves you one other berserk to use.

<<It's very possible (with a new engagement system + combat/stealth fixes) that a berserking Barbarian can be viable not only in PvE but PvP as well.

As I indicated above, that's not at all what I'm seeing.

<<I forget though, did they clarify that ALL passive MR is going away?

I think so. In effect, the only way to resist magic will be through your (presumably enhanced) stats and Warding abilities.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 08:37 AM CDT
>>Specifically, if magic resistance takes one entire berserk, that only leaves you one other berserk to use.

This is what was mentioned: "Assuming you have the skill, you can activate up to 4 forms, 2 berserks, a meditation, and a roar at the same time."

I'm not sure if the above means you can only ever have 2 berserks up at once. As far as we know, you may be able to sub out 2 forms for 1 berserk or something which would change the equation to 4 berserks, a meditation and a roar at the same time. Just a guess on my part though.

>>I think so. In effect, the only way to resist magic will be through your (presumably enhanced) stats and Warding abilities.

This is my understanding.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 08:46 AM CDT
LEEJ82, you're making declarative statements about how a rewritten set of bonuses provided by a rewritten set of abilities fueled by a rewritten inner fire pool will function under a rewritten set of combat calculations. As players, that's four degrees of ignorance that separates us from knowing and declaring exactly how berserks will work under the under system. Let's wait until we have some actual play time with the new toys before we go passing judgment on them.
Malkien
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 09:13 AM CDT

Alright so i saw someone mention that are stats will no longer have any negatives on our abilities...do we know yet how our stats effect the abilities we do have? Or is this going to be pure skill based?

Also, do we know anything about roar intimidation? Will that change as well?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 09:38 AM CDT
<<LEEJ82, you're making declarative statements about how a rewritten set of bonuses provided by a rewritten set of abilities fueled by a rewritten inner fire pool will function under a rewritten set of combat calculations. As players, that's four degrees of ignorance that separates us from knowing and declaring exactly how berserks will work under the under system. Let's wait until we have some actual play time with the new toys before we go passing judgment on them.

No, I'm analyzing the information available and presuming that Kodius chose his example of 4 forms, 2 berserks, 1 meditation, and 1 roar very carefully. Considering how much discussion of that particular configuration followed without Kodius touching upon it, I'd judge you're looking at hard and fast limits. At 150th circle.

Even if we somehow decide each of those represents the same expenditure of Inner Fire (that's called an analytical leap), that makes forms clearly favorable by comparison to berserks without even touching on the fact that forms last for 10s of minutes compared to 10s of seconds for berserks. However, there's a level of synergy in how everything works in the new system. Berserks provide large bonuses for short durations and forms provide small bonuses for long durations. Meditations will be your "always up" failsafe and roars are how Barbarians reach out and touch others (debilitation, enhancement).

A Barbarian trying to specialize in berserking and forsaking forms/meditations under 3.0 is going to be suboptimal. They may not even be capable of hunting at level, which is supposed to be a very bad thing.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 09:56 AM CDT
>>... roars are how Barbarians reach out and touch others ...

lol thank you for this. <3

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 10:02 AM CDT
Focusing on berserks is suboptimal currently, let alone 3.0.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 04:46 PM CDT
>>A Barbarian trying to specialize in berserking and forsaking forms/meditations under 3.0 is going to be suboptimal. They may not even be capable of hunting at level, which is supposed to be a very bad thing.

And who's to say that forms will be able to sustain a Barb on their own? Berserks will be MORE powerful. If caps are placed in 3.0, that could easily mean bonuses provided to forms WON'T be capped since berserks (being more powerful) would not exceed the cap. Thus, berserks will be more optimal!!! Forms need to be better!

Anyone can run in circles and complain about how things will or will not be. That's what we're trying to point out to you. Wait until it comes out or is tested before going too wild with theories.

Kodius stated that the limitation is 4 forms, 2 berserks, 1 meditation and 1 roar at the same time. He also stated a Barb could potentially choose to stack abilities to favor a certain type. Meaning, 5 forms 1 berserk 1 meditation. 3 forms, 3 berserks, 2 roars. 3 forms, 4 berserks, 1 meditations. If the particular abilities are able to be stacked w/o being too powerful or overwhelming on inner fire, you WILL be able to adjust your boosts. These limitations were stated to be those of a 150th (or equivalently top scale) Barb.

Hope that clears it up some.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 04:48 PM CDT
Also to add:

All forms of passive MR and BMR are going away. I believe Armifer stated this very recently in another folder. Warding (to my knowledge) will be the only fuel for BMR and other MR abilities. However, it'd be nice to know if certain stats will actually help the Warding skill.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 08/29/2011 06:40 PM CDT
>>All forms of passive MR and BMR are going away. I believe Armifer stated this very recently in another folder.

He did.

>>Warding (to my knowledge) will be the only fuel for BMR and other MR abilities. However, it'd be nice to know if certain stats will actually help the Warding skill.

Warding won't contest magic directly, but instead will act as a gateway skill (think Primary Magic) for activating defensive abilities. We considered making a direct "magic defense skill," but the logistics of doing it would've been nightmarish.

To use another guild as example, Worm's Mist will require Warding to successfully cast. The Necromancer's Warding will directly affect how much Potency, Duration and Integrity he can squeeze into a particular use of it, but once the spell is up that's it. It's now Worm's Mist's Potency versus incoming spells' Integrity, the Warding skill has no more part in it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas