Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 12:15 PM CST
>>It seems like the list is pretty set in terms of maintaining barb anti-magic supremacy while also offering a huge range of flexible boosts/utility options.

That's what it looks like. And yes, there was no mention of not being able to use forms with Serenity.

Question for Kodius: Will inner fire still have such a huge downtime after death? Or will this change based on how many ranks a Barb has?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 12:32 PM CST
>>And a suggestion on sharksteeth - allows you the use of a berserk you do not yet know!

At first blush I thought this was too cool for the GMs to ever allow. However, after discussing it with a friend, it was pointed out that this really wouldn't be that different than runes, wands and rattles. Shark teeth could let us use abilities (be they berserk, form or other) that we don't know or don't otherwise have access to. I leave it to others to figure out the hows and whys.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 12:34 PM CST
A lot of these look fantastic. The ones that I think I'd go for right now are:

Hawk
Piranha
Owl
Wolf
Lynx
Slash the Shadows
Monkey
Turtle
Contemplation
Sacrifice
Serenity
Bat
Anger the Earth
Serpent's Hiss
Wail
Focus

If berserks are short term buffs, I won't be getting them. My question is can we make "packages" so we don't have to activate everything we want individually?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 01:03 PM CST
I second the request for offhand expertise options. Only having whirlwind makes the entire skill relatively lackluster.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 01:13 PM CST
An expertise for thrown could be to throw weapons from both hands at the same time.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 01:50 PM CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY

THERE ARE NO OTHER WORDS
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 02:16 PM CST
>>My question is can we make "packages" so we don't have to activate everything we want individually?

This. The way we can customize are stances could be used so we can pre-set different ability packages.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 02:18 PM CST
List is sick and I'm jealous. Few questions:

1. What contest will each roar/feat/ability use?

2. Can you list which skill each form/berserk/etc. will train, i.e. Warding, Augmentation, etc. and whether they're introductory, basic, advanced, or esoteric? I see it for some but not all.

3. Is Theorist equivalent to the Recognize Patterns magic technique? If so I don't think it should require more than one slot or two at the most since Barbarians are NMUs.

~Cazvelu
"To be honest, my son, the practice of Holy magic is really just reckless tampering with one's soul."
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 02:44 PM CST
>>3. Is Theorist equivalent to the Recognize Patterns magic technique? If so I don't think it should require more than one slot or two at the most since Barbarians are NMUs.

The intention is to give Barbarians that are willing to eat Arcana ranks the same potential to recognize unlearned spells that MUs will have.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 05:21 PM CST
<<Sacrifice - A fallen barbarian, not finding peace in death, rises to fight again. After severely mauling everything in close range of course!>>

Barbarian self-rez, or am I misunderstanding? If any non-cleric guild got self-rez I would have thought it would be Pally. I don't see the connection to barbs here.

It's definitely a LOT of amazing stuff. Were I a barb I would be cartwheeling right now.

Kaxis
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 05:33 PM CST
<<I would argue that most guilds have ways to bonus their magical defenses too... >>

proposed trader ability. hide behind yak. :-)???

seriously though, abilities sound pretty awesome. Although I too thought I was reading the clerics guild spells in some areas. Coming back from the dead? I hope there's a quest for the "sacrifice" meditation that is similar in difficulty to MF. :-).

I am curious as to How do you see all these abilities being used in actual game-play?

Barbarian puts up meditiation first, then uses a form, dances, then berserks if needed? or... exactly how would this play out in practice?

another question, with the "toad" form you mention resistance to cold and heat. Does this apply only to "heat" and "cold" type attacks, or would it include "atmosphere" type things introduced recently? <i am thinking specifically of the "desert heatstroke" introduced recently near the oasis by muspar'i.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 06:07 PM CST
An elemental damage shield would reduce incoming elemental damage. Similar to manifest force. This is primarily aimed at reducing spell damage as spells tend to do elemental damage - but some critters and someday enchanted weapons would count too.

It is less of a self-rezz, and more of a final sacrificial attack. It does not heal your wounds beyond that which is needed to prevent you from immediately dying again. So you take damage that would normally kill you, immediatly stand back up with minimum health and then make a strong attack against engaged with you. You might very well die again after taking one or two more enemies with you, though it would only technically count as a single death.

Having a way to suicide into the enemy and take as many out as possible as you go was always one of those epic abilities that comes to mind while looking at barbarian-themed items and in-game imagery of the warrior outnumbered and surrounded by slavering monster hordes.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 07:01 PM CST
Will the costs for unlearning abilities be the same under 3.0 (ie money, TDPs, etc,) or is that being looked into as well since TDP gaining will be changing?

Even a grace period for a limited time after the rewrites would be nice since all the guilds are getting new spells and abilities, and there will probably be a lot of learning/unlearning going on while we test what they all do.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 07:07 PM CST
I'm not sure what The Plan(tm) is, but I'd be open for a global preview or reduced cost/time unlearning post-release. We'll just have to see!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/06/2011 08:27 PM CST
Impressive List. You guys deserve it.

I'm rather jealous.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/07/2011 02:58 AM CST
How about the old premium preview of these abilities?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/07/2011 08:49 AM CST
I feel some people are missing one very crucial piece of the puzzle for why this list appears so amazing when compared to all of the other spell lists which have been posted. The major reason for why this list appears to offer so many more options is because it is a comprehensive list of all of a Barbarian’s abilities.

Only spell lists have been posted for the other guilds. What remains to be posted for those guilds are their respective sets of abilities which companion, but function outside of, the realm of spells. As an example, Warrior Mages have the Summoning and Pathway systems that still remain to be fleshed out. Necromancers have Rissen, Bards still have Evokes, Bluffs and Screams, and so on for the other guilds as well.

This list truly is amazing and I believe it sets the bar for what all of the other guilds can expect in regards to options and fun :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/07/2011 02:31 PM CST
<<It does not heal your wounds beyond that which is needed to prevent you from immediately dying again. So you take damage that would normally kill you, immediatly stand back up with minimum health and then make a strong attack against engaged with you.>>

so in other words, more of a necromantic "depart death" than a clerical "Murr flame". Ok.

<accuse agonar necromancy....> :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/07/2011 07:48 PM CST
Few quick questions. Will Hawk allow us to use a shield with a stick bow? Will it also give a bonus to load times?
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/07/2011 08:22 PM CST
>Will Hawk allow us to use a shield with a stick bow?

I belive the shield/stick bow incompatabilities are going away completely in Combat 3.0

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 02:23 AM CST
Not sure if you're taking suggestions on added abilities.. But just in case here goes.
Lizard or Chameleon form. (might need to fall under a meditation)
Would fall under the predator path and allows the barbarian a self invisibility. Would also mesh with guild lore I believe. I remember reading awhile back about Telfogli being able to vanish and surprise people, even to the point that it would bother the other guild leaders.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 04:50 AM CST
<<Lizard or Chameleon form. (might need to fall under a meditation)
Would fall under the predator path and allows the barbarian a self invisibility.>>

I like this idea a lot.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 06:47 AM CST
Good idea... just an add on that thought. The fact a lion is considered the king of the jungle or <lioness> and is good at hiding before pouncing. Should be a a good form for hiding

I OWE it all to little chocolate donuts

JOHN BELUUSHI
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 07:39 AM CST
<<Lizard or Chameleon form. (might need to fall under a meditation)
Would fall under the predator path and allows the barbarian a self invisibility.>>

That would be...the most awesome thing. It would prob. fit better under meditations,(the whole "out of combat thing") and would have to have some severe restrictions though.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 09:10 AM CST
I don't think Barbs are getting invisibility.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 09:29 AM CST
>>I don't think Barbs are getting invisibility.<<

Prob. not. For the record I think most likely not. However, with the way MU's can work off the penalty for using other magics, Barbs and Traders will basically be one of two (traders) guilds locked out of invisibility.

Well, aside from cloaks.

So it doesn't hurt to ask.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 04:03 PM CST
traders can use the elipse for invis, but it requires ranks in devices <now arcana> to use.

so, aside from cloaks, barbarians will pretty much be the non-invisible folks. But then, when you think of barbarian combat, you don't really think of the invisible guy in the shadows, you think of someone wading two-fisted into battle and slaughtering whatever is in the way.

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 06:15 PM CST
<<But then, when you think of barbarian combat, you don't really think of the invisible guy in the shadows, you think of someone wading two-fisted into battle and slaughtering whatever is in the way.>>

Perhaps, but one of the points of this change was to be able to create a wide variety of Barbarian types...
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 06:28 PM CST
<<but one of the points of this change was to be able to create a wide variety of Barbarian types.>>

Which is entirely possible. The lack of invisibility does not negate the variety of Barbarian available.

GM Jaedren
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 06:32 PM CST
<<Which is entirely possible. The lack of invisibility does not negate the variety of Barbarian available.>>

I am not sure I said it did.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 07:58 PM CST
I've got a great compromise.

Lets get a roar that causes hysterical blindness.

Then, everyone's invisible.

Blunts for Sale:
Combat Balance Sheet:
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/08/2011 08:07 PM CST
Or how about "blind fighting"? Where invisibility doesn't matter to us.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/09/2011 03:21 AM CST
Please give us plenty of time to preview all this new stuff before making us get locked into picking things, I have a feeling the learning curve will be a bit more for what works for us then our current combat system. Even with the ability to unlearn abilities with time it would be frustrating to say the least while everything is so new.

I'd also like to get some idea of what the progression rate for learning new abilities are... Right now you learn a new roar at 5th and then every 10 circles after, all dances learned by 60th and berserks are just a weird progression as is... Will it be more like spell slots where we get x amount of abilities and a new one every few circles or what?

Oh and explain more about the amount of inner fire used if you can... is it going to be like a mana pool now that increases with the power of the barb or static as it is now with 150th and 1st circle's having the same sized pool?

Everything looks great so far, glad to see we aren't being left in the dust with 3.0!
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/09/2011 05:27 PM CST
>I'd also like to get some idea of what the progression rate for learning new abilities are

1 "slot" per two circles, with the first at 1st.

>Oh and explain more about the amount of inner fire used if you can

It will expand with experience (specifics not given, might be skill or circle), as of last we'd heard.

Blunts for Sale:
Combat Balance Sheet:
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/11/2011 08:20 PM CST
one thing i didn't see listed is the <brawling> "choke" command. with brawling being combined into something? will this still be possible for barbarians?

Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/11/2011 08:47 PM CST
That sounds like it would fit really well as one of those finishing moves or whatever :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List - two concerns 03/12/2011 09:06 AM CST
Sorry if this stuff was covered in another post.

Contemplation - Provides a bonus to all defenses for a moderate amount of time.

This is likely to be one of the go-to meditations and the wording indicates that it has a set duration but since meditations can't be started in combat you'll have to do some funky shenanigans to keep this up while hunting.

My other concern is with expertise. Choosing a weapon at first circle with either no way or no easy way to re-choose will be a burden for new players. I don't know about you but I tend to sample weapons a lot when I first make a new character and don't really pick which to train until around 100 ranks. Having to gain expertise ranks from the start to circle will either force all rookies down the same path "just take brawling, it's the least likely to be regretted" or cause a new player to choose something that won't work with his style/gear/RP later on. I'd rather see expertise bonused - greatly - with your chosen weapon but not required to actually train and getting to choose your weapon focus at 50th and 100th or your weapon focus is simply your top two weapon skills, then there's no mess with a quest and people can re-choose by backtraining.
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List - two concerns 03/12/2011 11:33 AM CST
<<My other concern is with expertise. Choosing a weapon at first circle with either no way or no easy way to re-choose will be a burden for new players.>>

As is choosing a guild and a race. This is all part of game play, oops no do over without re-rolling. I like the idea of choosing an expertise at 1st and either living with that decision or just ignoring the whole expertise completely until you get to 70th.

How hard can it be to keep a weapon you chose close to your other weapons
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List - two concerns 03/12/2011 12:06 PM CST
I didn't read it as you HAVE to choose at first, but that the first choice comes at first.

You can wait, and when you are ready then choose...

Sorta like roars are now. You get your choices at certain levels, you don't have to choose anything, and when you are ready you go "pick" them out....
Re: Tentative Barbarian Ability List 03/12/2011 06:38 PM CST
Questions regarding magic and the new abilities -

We've seen some hints here and there that more things will be opening up to us dependent upon magic ranks (the theorist feat, for example} while others will be closed to us.

How exactly will magic ranks affect some of the new abilities, and will we ever see a quest to unlearn them, similar to paladins unlearning stealing?