Prev_page Previous 1 3
War and grave robbers 01/07/2016 11:01 PM CST

OMG can you at least make the war invaders spawn outside of cities and towns! just lost most of my stuff due to grave robbers: Cibyn, Jondong, and Boriz. Stupid town guards aren't even accepting accussals. Can a GM look into this please; or I'm cancelling accts for good.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/07/2016 11:47 PM CST
It seems you got most if not all of your items back through the in-game mechanics available, so that's great.

Grave robbing is preventable in game and is not against policy, and if you aren't aware of it, please read NEWS 2 14 and NEWS 2 48 in game. Also, making sure you utilize DEPART ITEMS or DEPART FULL (DEPART HELP for a full explanation) will ensure that if you have enough favors you won't leave a grave, and take your items with you. NEws 2 48 in particular is relatively new and covers items that go into the AWESOME Lost and Found bin.

And last but not least of all; EVERYONE MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SOME TIME OUT TO REGISTER YOUR ITEMS. Registration(NEWS 2 17) is NOT a guarantee of replacement(NEWS 5 4 and NEWS 5 5), but it will help us (and has helped us so many times) find and replace items we may not have otherwise been able to return.

~Evike
Re: War and grave robbers 01/09/2016 12:50 AM CST
>Grave robbing is preventable in game and is not against policy, and if you aren't aware of it, please read NEWS 2 14 and NEWS 2 48 in game. Also, making sure you utilize DEPART ITEMS or DEPART FULL (DEPART HELP for a full explanation) will ensure that if you have enough favors you won't leave a grave, and take your items with you. NEws 2 48 in particular is relatively new and covers items that go into the AWESOME Lost and Found bin.

The problem with this answer is, accidents and typos happen so 'Depart Item' might be typoed to 'depart', therefore a grave.

This is probably one of the worst features of the game and this is the only game I know of that works like this.

The original policy was written, therefore can always be changed, and should be changed to not allow graverobbing.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/09/2016 08:44 AM CST
>The original policy was written, therefore can always be changed, and should be changed to not allow graverobbing.

DR is a typing game.

If your items are valuable to you, you should ensure you type the correct command. Policy should not need to be continually redefined to protect stupidity.

Because now we have lovely policy issues like 'oh I didn't mean to point him out, my script/trigger/macro jut had a typo' and 'I didn't mean to cast death at him, I just made a typo' and 'I didn't mean to graverob him, I just made a typo'.

Plus 'I made a typo' seems like the most offensive lie possible.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/09/2016 02:39 PM CST
> Plus 'I made a typo' seems like the most offensive lie possible.

It happens. Not long ago I lost an item or three. I had picked up the premie gift that is a bundle, stowed it just to free up my hands. A few days later when I logged in again I had forgotten about it, so when I went to hunt my scripts were doing some really strange things trying to skin. With combat scroll and what not I ended up removing my thigh bag and dropped it on the ground trying to remove a tight bundle. Things were still not working right. Once I remembered the bundle in my pack I left hunting to vault the premie gift. The thigh bag had a cambrinth manacle in it and was left behind. I made more than one mistake during that time but ultimately I lost a few good items.

This has nothing to do with graverobbing or policies, only saying something because typo's do happen and while you might take that to sound like a lie keep in mind that typo's DO happen.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/09/2016 03:08 PM CST
None of that was a typo though. You deliberately removed and dropped an item, then failed to check the ground inventory before you left the room.

And I've done the same thing. I now use a FE that allows me to have a room window open at all times. Works in Genie, works in SF.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/09/2016 03:37 PM CST

>None of that was a typo though.

You can call it what you will.

t bund - t bag...there is not that much difference and in the heat of the moment unintentional things happen. This was not something that I felt needed a GM to look into. I made several mistakes and now I have a really expensive premium gift.

I intended to remove a bundle and removed a bag instead. I believe that what you consider a typo would be more like remove my tighj bundle. However a typo is not always that short sighted. See atomic typos if you don't believe me.

The point is though that typos happen. It is not always a "lie" that someone intended one thing and a different or unintended thing happened due to a typo.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 01:56 AM CST
Personal responsibility is important and definitely something I am in favor of teaching our players.

HOWEVER, item loss is, in my opinion, too punitive for this purpose. People spend a lot of time, sometimes years, gathering precious items. Some people don't care as much, but for others being graverobbed can feel like being sent to jail for 10 years for littering. Oops, you made a minor mistake? There goes your auction item. Yes, there are ways to retrieve the items but they are somewhat esoteric, on timers, and often require significant skill.

Furthermore, it seems most likely that the majority of people affected by graverobbing are noobs who just don't know it can happen, and can't fight back when it does. It seems extra unfair to punish them in this way.

I would really like to see graverobbing go away entirely. I'd also like to see more bonding potions available for non-weapons, and for a reasonable price.

- Navesi
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:01 AM CST
I don't think any of the people most notably affected by graverobbing recently have been newbs. Newbs don't carry around altered kertig weapons.

That's not to say it isn't a problem and has probably outstayed its welcome as a mechanics in DR, but the majority of people losing stuff are not hapless newbies in the least.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:08 AM CST
There are absolutely ways to avoid being graverobbed. I certainly no longer worry about charging into combat or dying all over the place, because I take the proper precautions.

So what this means is that the situation disproportionately affects new or inexperienced players who haven't mastered yet how to do these things. Is that what we want, with a dwindling player population that we're trying to revitalize through F2P?

Personally I'm not sure I'd agree that graverobbing needs to go away entirely, but it would be nice to have further protections during the very frequent invasions nowadays. Or better ways to retrieve items other than getting lucky enough to kill a person while it's in their hand.

Perhaps there could be a way to report a registered item stolen. If you try to vault the item or get arrested while carrying it, then it is confiscated by the provincial authorities and shows up in lost and found. This seems legitimate and IC to me. If we wanted to go even further, I'd like to see a way to search a dead body for a registered item of yours and retrieve it. A champion could even be chosen via the consent verb to allow them to search the dead body for you.

- Saragos
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:37 AM CST
Graverobbing is just a bad old system that should be removed.

The only people that actually enjoy it are griefers.

The majority of players don't like it, or tolerate it and have learned to deal with it.

It isn't a good system. It is an outdated hold over from when the game included 'losing your character forever'... another old system that has been removed because it was stupid.

From a design standpoint, it is a horrible system that only turns away potential customers. The one or two players that would actually quit over it going away, would easily be compensated for with the people that don't leave because they lost an item and said screw this.

The only 'appeal' of it is a sense of 'hardmode' or 'danger' supposedly added to death.. an idea that is yet another holdover from a time period that calls for everything being as punitive as possible.

Death is already punishing enough, especially if you are new.

Graverobbing should go the way of 'walking' and your items should just depart with you, regardless of favors. To compensate, all armor could need a full repair, unless you have extra favors. You still get punished, and yet not so much that you hate life.

Weapons could still drop, and if anyone tries to pick them up, the janitor could grab them. Bonding potions wouldn't be completely worthless since it would make things easier and would prevent the item from poofing.. but graverobbing wouldn't be a thing.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:45 AM CST
Any game mechanic (ie. grave robbing) that encourages a paid subscriber to quit playing, should not be a part of the game.

This is why permanent starry road walking was discontinued. It caused people to leave the game and never come back.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:55 AM CST
This thread reminded me of something that happened tonight. When Navesi died during the invasion and dropped a nightstick Saragos and I tried to pick it up and got ~15 seconds of RT and the messaging 'You are not disciplined enough to pick that up' (or something along those lines). Never seen that before. Anyone know what caused it? It wasn't any GR mechanic I'd ever seen and she even tried Consenting us without any change to the messaging.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 02:57 AM CST
IIRC that's the message a newbie gets if they try to grab an item, which was implemented to put a stop to people rolling up throwaways to graverob with without penalty. Which is not something Saragos should be getting.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 03:31 AM CST
newbs :P
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 03:40 AM CST
>>she even tried Consenting us without any change to the messaging.

To clarify what I said to you in game, I DID try to consent you but for whatever reason it failed -- presumably because you weren't in the room.

- Navesi
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 03:14 PM CST
>>Saragos: Personally I'm not sure I'd agree that graverobbing needs to go away entirely, but it would be nice to have further protections during the very frequent invasions nowadays. Or better ways to retrieve items other than getting lucky enough to kill a person while it's in their hand.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing away with grave robbing entirely, but failing that, DEPART ITEMS should become the default method of departing. (That is, if you just type DEPART, you DEPART ITEMS if you have enough favors to do so.)

DEPART NORMAL could then be added as an option for people who have been warded or who want to leave a grave for whatever reason.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 03:24 PM CST
Well, if I was the butthead designing the system...

Make graves work like wards do now. They can still "pop" if you don't get back in time, but when you actually get to it no laying them open like a grab-bag for anyone that wants it while you put your pants back on. You just GET your grave and your stuff is back on you.

DEPART ITEM could become the new 1-favor-cost default, and you only leave a grave if you depart favorless. TBH I wish departing still left wounds on you unless you explicitly burned up more favors to get reincarnated woundless, so you'd have DEPART WOUNDS or DEPART COIN for 2 favors or DEPART FULL to get the whole deal.

Warding can just "upgrade" your DEPART for free. So favorless now take their items with them. People with favors now get a heal along with their items. Maybe it should do something else too.

Held stuff should probably just go to at feet when you die, but idk. Maybe have stuff "fall off" your at feet slot after enough time has passed and they haven't been bonded to you in some way.

Thayet

Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 05:37 PM CST
>>Isharon & Thayet

I really like all of these ideas. I'd still prefer graverobbing be completely gone, but failing that I think these would go a long way toward helping.

- Navesi
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 05:51 PM CST
>>I wouldn't be opposed to doing away with grave robbing entirely, but failing that, DEPART ITEMS should become the default method of departing. (That is, if you just type DEPART, you DEPART ITEMS if you have enough favors to do so.)

Was going to suggest the same thing. I think it's totally reasonable to allow someone to set a specific DEPART option as their default, and maybe make DEPART ITEMS the default default.

Arguments about "personal responsibility" and "how can you make a typo" are some of the weirder counter-arguments I've heard on the forums this year, but we're only two weeks in.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 06:12 PM CST
>Arguments about "personal responsibility" and "how can you make a typo" are some of the weirder counter-arguments I've heard on the forums this year, but we're only two weeks in.

To be fair, my counterargument was a bit more nuanced than that, and was less 'how dare you typo' and more 'is it valuable? Perhaps you should act accordingly'.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 10:54 PM CST
I view 'graverobbing', 'walking', and 'losing items from graves' as a HARDCORE gaming feature and is more appropriate for THE FALLEN, not Prime.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 11:02 PM CST

<<I view 'graverobbing', 'walking', and 'losing items from graves' as a HARDCORE gaming feature and is more appropriate for THE FALLEN, not Prime.>>

I disagree. Walking almost never happened unless someone was putting on a show for drama. I'm sorry, very infrequently... heck, i cant even think of a time that someone legitimately walked under that system. If anything I think changing "walking" was to make people save the drama for their mamma.

As far as graves go - there used to be no darn graves at all. youd just leave your items on the floor. I dont think you'd have liked that system very much :)

That being said, i think a confirmation request from "Depart" would go a long way in helping with people who dont know about "depart items". eg: if you type depart "Are you sure you want to depart? Maybe you want to DEPART ITEMS instead? Please type depart again to confirm" or something along those lines...
Re: War and grave robbers 01/10/2016 11:20 PM CST
>>As far as graves go - there used to be no darn graves at all. youd just leave your items on the floor. I dont think you'd have liked that system very much :)

I would guess that the way items were expected to function was vastly different two decades ago.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 12:16 AM CST

>>I would guess that the way items were expected to function was vastly different two decades ago.

That's nonsense. There have always been rare and valuable items that people have cherished.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 12:37 AM CST
>>That's nonsense.

No it isn't. Graverobbing wouldn't be a thing at all if the game was designed from scratch today. No one would play it.

The majority of the old systems, especially the systems that were designed with punitive goals in mind, are so completely different than what would or should exist today. It was a completely different type of game, and crowd.

hard for hard sake, especially when not part of 'hard mode' servers or settings.. don't appeal to the vast majority of customers. They don't add anything, except to incredibly niche crowds.

Seeing as DR is already incredibly niche to begin with being a text based game in 2016, graverobbing/item loss should just be done away with. Systems that make players not want to play... systems that ruin the experience, should be removed.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 12:56 AM CST
>>That's nonsense. There have always been rare and valuable items that people have cherished.

Not to bash their efforts, but I strongly doubt that the GMs of 20 years ago expected a game where players had items that could have a decade+ of sentimentality, items that players gain after paying $10-$50 to go on a quest, or items that required a great deal of effort to replace as a whole.

Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:02 AM CST
<<
No it isn't. Graverobbing wouldn't be a thing at all if the game was designed from scratch today. No one would play it.

The majority of the old systems, especially the systems that were designed with punitive goals in mind, are so completely different than what would or should exist today. It was a completely different type of game, and crowd.

hard for hard sake, especially when not part of 'hard mode' servers or settings.. don't appeal to the vast majority of customers. They don't add anything, except to incredibly niche crowds.

Seeing as DR is already incredibly niche to begin with being a text based game in 2016, graverobbing/item loss should just be done away with. Systems that make players not want to play... systems that ruin the experience, should be removed.>>>

Disagree with most of your statement. My personal view is nobody comes to a text based game and expects the simplicity and user friendliness of something like wow. This is a game that caters to tabletop players i would think more than anything else. Tabletop players are used to some pretty harsh rulesets, and DR is still pretty kind. I just dont see what is so hard about DEPART ITEMS. This discussion feels silly to me. The only justification i could see is a newbie not knowing. So a confirmation message or defaulting to DEPART ITEMS seems like it resolves the whole issue. You still need to get favors after all!

That being said I dont graverob nor do I encourage it, but the mechanics are so friendly towards you not losing your stuff I just dont understand this discussion whatsoever. I dont think I can impart more to the conversation beyond that and it just feels like arguing if i continue.

Just my 2 cents!
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:15 AM CST
>>Not to bash their efforts, but I strongly doubt that the GMs of 20 years ago expected a game where players had items that could have a decade+ of sentimentality, items that players gain after paying $10-$50 to go on a quest, or items that required a great deal of effort to replace as a whole.

Matter of perspective, I guess.

Alterations were so much rarer back then. I remember getting like one in 4 years. And I assure you people were just as attached to these things as they are now.

Invasion items were actually highly valued/irreplaceable.

Jade-hilted nimshas and old weighted scimitars were the equivalent of rare metal forged weapons, but couldn't be replaced as easily.

A shimmer cloak or a hooded cloak was months of saving up. Losing your WM's dark talisman was a big deal.

If anything it's easier than ever to get plats and replace items.

>>My personal view is nobody comes to a text based game and expects the simplicity and user friendliness of something like wow.

Also this ^^^
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:21 AM CST
>>Disagree with most of your statement. My personal view is nobody comes to a text based game and expects the simplicity and user friendliness of something like wow. This is a game that caters to tabletop players i would think more than anything else. Tabletop players are used to some pretty harsh rulesets, and DR is still pretty kind. I just dont see what is so hard about DEPART ITEMS. This discussion feels silly to me. The only justification i could see is a newbie not knowing. So a confirmation message or defaulting to DEPART ITEMS seems like it resolves the whole issue. You still need to get favors after all!

>>That being said I dont graverob nor do I encourage it, but the mechanics are so friendly towards you not losing your stuff I just dont understand this discussion whatsoever. I dont think I can impart more to the conversation beyond that and it just feels like arguing if i continue.

>>Just my 2 cents!

And nonstop complaints about graverobbing/item loss since the game's release says you are wrong. No one ever liked it... except the jerks that did it.

Most people just tolerate it because they enjoy the rest of the game. It isn't like complaints against it are new.

There is a difference between 'simplicity' and 'user friendliness' and 'game ruining event'. Even table top players rarely enjoy GMs killing off their characters or losing items. I know if I had a GM that did it without it being part of a major story arc, I wouldn't play with them again.

The waste of time involving GM referrals alone is the reason it should be removed. What a waste of their time when they could be creating events or areas or anything positive and constructive... not just dealing with negative situations that will almost never be resolved to anyones satisfaction.

Things have gotten better, but there is no reason they couldn't be even better. Graverobbing or item loss due to death doesn't add anything positive to the game. It doesn't make people want to keep playing. It doesn't build up players or make interesting stories.

If you don't condone graverobbing, or encourage it, then there is nothing lost to it going away. It is pretty silly to be arguing for something that you don't care about.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:24 AM CST
That doesn't change the fact that the game has moved away from item loss/destruction. Acid traps don't melt your armor like it used to, Vykathi don't break your weapons anymore and gradual damage incurred in combat doesn't irrevocably destroy gear.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:26 AM CST
<<There is a difference between 'simplicity' and 'user friendliness' and 'game ruining event'. Even table top players rarely enjoy GMs killing off their characters or losing items. I know if I had a GM that did it without it being part of a major story arc, I wouldn't play with them again.>>>

Couldnt resist this one statement.

I can tell you that if this was your attitude, I would not play tabletop with you. I have lost many characters on campaigns i played when I was younger. It would stink, but it could happen! Where is the fun if there is no danger? Your character needs to be able to die. I think we just see things in a very, very different light and we will likely never agree, and that is ok.

Ciao
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:38 AM CST
Making something challenging is not the same as making it punitively, ballbustingly convoluted and difficult purely for the sake of saying something is difficult. There is a reason tabletop has moved away from that kind of paradigm and game design.

Games can have serious item loss and permadeath and all that fun stuff. A lot of MUDs pull it off successfully. The difference is those MUDs are designed that way from the ground up. DR is not really, not in the same way.

That said, you can still preserve the risk for item loss in certain circumstances without making it quite as punitive as it is now. If graves only appeared if you autodeparted or departed without favors, that would probably be far enough.

Thayet

Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 01:50 AM CST
>>I can tell you that if this was your attitude, I would not play tabletop with you. I have lost many characters on campaigns i played when I was younger. It would stink, but it could happen! Where is the fun if there is no danger? Your character needs to be able to die. I think we just see things in a very, very different light and we will likely never agree, and that is ok.

I have lost characters as well. And when the GM handles it well, makes it part of the story, and does it in a way that while sad, is still enjoyable... fantastic. It becomes more than just a death of a character or loss of an item. It is part of the story. (which is the entire point!)

That almost never happens in DR. When you lose an item, it is almost always because of poorly designed, old mechanics that aren't aimed at building story or creating a positive gaming experience. It is just punishment, or a bug, and you just gotta deal. That isn't fun. That doesn't keep players.. and for a game that wants to make money, punishment on top of punishment is a bad thing. You are already dying. you are already losing time, and whatever exp in your pool. You are already suffering consequences. Item loss on top of it is just extra... for no real gain. It is like losing your character and then the GM punching you in the face.

Games are supposed to be fun. It is like design rule number 1. The only people that enjoy any aspect of graverobbing/item loss, are griefers.

Also, your argument is flawed. There is danger in death. It doesn't have to involve item loss though. Your character can die. That doesn't mean you have to suffer item loss as well though. You act like I want zero consequences from death. I don't. I am fine with the ones we have, once item loss it removed. I just don't see the need to pile punishment after punishment upon death.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 02:17 AM CST
>>Most people just tolerate it because they enjoy the rest of the game. It isn't like complaints against it are new.

Pretty much this. The fact that every year or so the game defangs item loss a bit more supports this obvious trend.

Perma-destruction of gear via combat/traps/etc? Gone.
Requirement of Ward Glyphs to protect items after death? hello depart items
Heck, you can keep coins and spell scrolls these days, too.
There are some situations where you don't even lose your full exp pools, right?

It would be hard for DR, as a company, to sell the idea of people paying RL$ to go on a quest for a neat sword if it could just poof on them. It's the main reason I barely went on them in the past, at least. Investing extra money that could poof on me seemed outright silly until I had a better assurance that the gear remained functional/viable.

>>Jade-hilted nimshas and old weighted scimitars were the equivalent of rare metal forged weapons, but couldn't be replaced as easily.

IMO, most "irreplaceable" items during the late 90s were more an intentional desire to have items phase out due to attrition because they were imbalanced.

>>Alterations were so much rarer back then.

Definitely a matter of perspective because they didn't come that hard when I was in Prime during the late 90s.

Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 02:24 AM CST
>>I can tell you that if this was your attitude, I would not play tabletop with you. I have lost many characters on campaigns i played when I was younger

The expectation of character loss is key.

This is such a silly argument, too. It's like asking why possible item loss in DR is seen as such a big deal because I play roguelike games and item/character loss happens in those all the time. I expect to recreate characters and replace gear in a roguelike, and the game is crafted in a way that makes it easily done.

DR doesn't work that way for rare/altered stuff, and if the GMs of the past thought that was fine, they were simply wrong. Based on the current trend of item loss adjustment in DR, it seems like the game plan itself pretty much supports that rethinking of how things should be.

Heck, limited charge items are going the way of the dodo, too, probably because GMs see how "rare" limited use items turn into never used vault fodder.

Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 08:27 AM CST
Everyone seems to agree >DEPART defaulting to items makes sense.

There are people who disagree with the idea of removing item loss from the game entirely and feel the consequences for death in this game are minimal enough. People spam the death window with 100s deaths a day. Favors are so easy to get and there are so many additional possible safeguards to ensure you don't leave a grave when you die.

But these are the DR forums, so I'm sure we'll end up beating this subject to death and never agreeing.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 10:54 AM CST
I wouldn't mind default depart items. I've lost items due to connection issues before. Basically was bad weather, was getting bad connection, died, then thought it was getting better so departed. Well ended up losing power and couldn't get back online. This, however, was before depart options were a thing. Definitely wouldn't of been a problem now days. So short of a mistype there's not really any reason people should lose anything. Depart item default would fix that so why not do it, you don't have enough favors then you can take that risk.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 02:58 PM CST
>>feel the consequences for death in this game are minimal enough.

This is such a ridiculous concept.

How are death consequences in DR minimal? Compared to any other MMO, the consequences, even if you remove item loss, are far worse.

Death:
-Loss of time related to exp (which is worse than most games because time in DR is an actual currency, paid to gain skills. If you die, you not only lose all the time it took to fill up your exp pool, but there is potential permanent exp loss as well)
-Loss of time related to just coming back to life. (this is the ONLY thing that most other games have... and it is still worse in DR unless you just depart immediately. If you wait to get dragged, and healed and ressed or at least have memories saved, it is FAR longer than any other game)

Just those two things alone are worse than most other games.. I can't think of an MMO that comes close. Usually it is just the amount of time to run back. At least any progress made, or exp gained, is still there waiting for you when you get back alive.. so you don't feel like you have completely wasted your time playing...

And I am not suggesting it needs to be that easy.. but there should be some thought into why exactly it needs to be so much harder. What does that gain? Or is it just another old mechanic that is the way it is because it has always been that way? Would it be designed that way now? I would argue that it wouldn't have a chance today of being the way it is.. because there is no additional enjoyment value gained from the additional harshness of the arbitrary punishment of death.

Games are supposed to be fun. And yes, there should be consequences to messing up.. but they shouldn't be so over the top that they unbalance the main goal.. which is fun. Item loss completely upsets that balance.. and the ONLY people that enjoy it.. are the ones that are seeking to further ruin someone's day. That is bad design, and should be changed.

Arguing for harsher consequences because it used to be worse... is like demanding people have to play on dial up... or pay $1000 monthly bills because I had a few of those back in early days of GEnie or AOL.. It is stupid. Just because it was one way once, doesn't mean we shouldn't improve it now if we can.
Re: War and grave robbers 01/11/2016 03:14 PM CST
Ehh death should have teeth, the teeth just need to make sense and be the correct level and type of punitive.

Dying should really put you out of commission longer than it presently does, but that's a topic for another thread.

Thayet

Prev_page Previous 1 3