Prev_page Previous 1 3
Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:04 PM CST
Harness pulses WAY too fast. Took me forever to finally hold a Moongate long enough for myself to enter through. Can't even keep SLS out too long cause harness pulses like 5+ times within the first 10 seconds.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:17 PM CST
If you're using held mana for your cyclic spells, then you're doing it in the least effective way possible. A high capacity cambrinth (like an orb) would help you a ton, but the raw channeling feat will be a vastly better option.

>>Can't even keep SLS out too long cause harness pulses like 5+ times within the first 10 seconds.

Slowing down pulses for stuff like SLS would probably just result in it attacking slower.

It also might not hurt to also look at this in the long run and realize things will get much easier later on/when you get more skill. Right now it might be hard for you to keep those spells up, but by going off epedia SLS has a range of 6-25 and moongate has a range of 5-20. I'm able to run my Necro cyclic spells in the 16-18 mana ranges and (depending on the room's energy) stay anywhere from 50-95% of my mana. Most of the time I'm keeping Rite of Contrition up at 16 the entire time I'm playing, including when I'm training other magics. But I do that with lots of harness-related feats, but especially raw channeling.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:19 PM CST
In addition to what was said above, I believe Moongate pulses much faster then most cyclic spells by design.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:38 PM CST
I'm not going to rely on cambrinth for a gate. You can forget that and toss that out the door.

I stick to my complaint. Mana pulses needs to pulse a bit slower than it currently is.
This might be my ace in the hole to cancel all 3 accounts when 3.0 comes out. And please no attacks on me for that comment, that is my own personal opinion.

Renzar finally helped me get the blasted thing opened for more than just 2 seconds, but as I stated, mana pulses WAY too fast and should be addressed before release.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:39 PM CST
Also, TEVESHSZAT. I'm not no newb. I have PLENTY the skill to hold a gate from long distances. ;)
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 01:59 PM CST
>I'm not going to rely on cambrinth for a gate. You can forget that and toss that out the door.

In 3.0 Moongate is a mana intensive cyclic spell that will greatly benefit from using Cambrinth. At least try it and see if it solves your issue before writing it off.

>Also, TEVESHSZAT. I'm not no newb. I have PLENTY the skill to hold a gate from long distances. ;)

Well, since the original post lacks any details to reach any sort of conclusion at your skill or understanding of the system...

What Attunement skill are you dealing with?
What did you prep Moongate at?
How much mana were you holding at the time of casting?

Elusive
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:04 PM CST
>>And please no attacks on me for that comment, that is my own personal opinion.

Then why even bother posting it? It just makes you sound petulant.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:08 PM CST
I do have to agree. I cant comment on anything other than my own spells (MM) but I have noticed some pretty excessively fast pulse timers. MG does pulse very very fast. It burns through 60 mana very quickly on a long port that under other circumstances isnt really an issue. A tad slower (3-5 sec) per pulse would go a long way to make this spell feel more stable. SLS is really on the same page as well. Every single movement...advance, attack, etc drains mana. Which makes it 1) tricky to keep up for more than one critter... 2) inefficient to keep up for more than one critter.

I think cyclics should have a standard timer. In 2.0 when I harness 20 mana and hold it... thats cake. In 3.0 Im harnessing 20 mana every few seconds to keep a spell going... thats much much tougher. I dont want things handed to me on a platter but I feel like its a bit too rough.

And as far as cambrinth goes... Ive already expressed my disdain at the role cambrinth has in 3.0. Of all the aspects of the new conversion this is the only one that I straight dislike almost to the point of hating it. Cambrinth should be a magic aid... not the magic crutch its going to become. Without cam items a mage's spellcasting ability takes a huge hit to a point where its so inefficient its almost pointless. I do not like that one bit. I love the cam feats and cam working with cyclics, but it should be a choice not a requirement (and we can split hairs but at this point its a requirement). For that matter I dont like that we have to harness (if not using camb) to cast spells and not be mana drained in 2 casts (and by mana drained I mean unable to cast spells... not low attunement like everyone keeps assuming).

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:11 PM CST
>>I'm not going to rely on cambrinth for a gate. You can forget that and toss that out the door.

Then your option is to harness a lot of mana from the start or learn raw channeling.

Personally, the best option is raw channeling, the middle option is cambrinth, and the worst option is straight harnessing.

>>I stick to my complaint. Mana pulses needs to pulse a bit slower than it currently is.

So are you literally hitting 0 attunement before you can enter the moongate/after 10 pulses of SLS, etc? Or are you just not able to hold enough mana to keep them going that long?

>>This might be my ace in the hole to cancel all 3 accounts when 3.0 comes out. And please no attacks on me for that comment, that is my own personal opinion.

I'm not going to attack your financial choices, but I don't think "make SLS pulse slower or I'm quitting Dragonrealms" is going to work.

>>Also, TEVESHSZAT. I'm not no newb. I have PLENTY the skill to hold a gate from long distances. ;)

>>Took me forever to finally hold a Moongate long enough for myself to enter through.

Erm... so what's the issue? You have the skill to gate long distances but you have trouble holding the mana for it? These two things don't mesh.

If harnessing (and using cambrinth!) seems too frustrating for you, then learn raw channeling. It's life changing. I'd also grab Deep Attunement, Efficient Channeling, and Efficient Harnessing for good measure.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:16 PM CST
>>I think cyclics should have a standard timer.

Ehhh... I'm against that. I like that there are fast and slow cyclics.

>>In 3.0 Im harnessing 20 mana every few seconds to keep a spell going... thats much much tougher. I dont want things handed to me on a platter but I feel like its a bit too rough.

>>And as far as cambrinth goes... Ive already expressed my disdain at the role cambrinth has in 3.0.

>>I love the cam feats and cam working with cyclics, but it should be a choice not a requirement (and we can split hairs but at this point its a requirement).

Do you have anything in particular against learning Raw Channeling? It sounds like these issues would vanish once you learn that feat. It's a very good ease/quality of magic-life improvement feat.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:24 PM CST
>>And as far as cambrinth goes... Ive already expressed my disdain at the role cambrinth has in 3.0.

With the newer spell teaching ranges, cambrinth isn't quite as important as it was in earlier iterations of spell experience. Cambrinth is still not required - You can get most of the benefits of cambrinth (lower total attunement cost) via HARNESS when casting non-cyclic spells, and if you want to be more efficient about your cyclics, there are feats for that too. Cambrinth isn't essential, but it DOES makes things easier.

If cambrinth wasn't a more useful way to stuff more mana into your spells, what would you recommend that it do? I'm having trouble coming up with a niche for a mana-storage device that doesn't involve making easing mana costs - That's kind of the whole point of cambrinth to begin with.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:30 PM CST

The way that it is being pushed, it sounds to me that Raw Channeling is such an overwhelming strategic choice that it really isn't a choice - it's a requirement.

At that point, why have it as a choice? What functional benefit is there to not choosing it? At one spell slot, it doesn't feel like a significant cost. Maybe it could cost more, to make it into a real decision. Or why not have cyclic spells actually require it? Or cyclic spells can be powered straight from harness, but cost more slots?

The way that people are talking about it, not getting it really isn't a viable choice.

*I have not tried running cyclic spells off cambrinth, especially while doing various things like combat - I am going entirely by how Raw Channeling is being pushed here in the forums - that people are making wrong game choices, at a mechanical level, for not getting it.

* edit - removed an extraneous word
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:31 PM CST
Moongate requires some tweaking still, both its cycling speed needs to come down a touch and its difficulty to cap needs to go way up.

That said, "Do X or I'll cancel all my accounts" doesn't impress me. If anything it makes such changes less likely because my personal inclination is toward bucking such threats. We will do what we conceive as best for the entire game regardless of how many accounts someone owns.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>I like that there are fast and slow cyclics.

I dont mind that there are fluctuations in pulse timers but in the examples I noted its a bit too fast. Ive played with a few others and I havent noticed them moving quite as fast. I dont mind it being a tough spell... I just dont like HOW tough it is currently. As I said in Prime I can hold a gate with 20 mana for.. well for as long as I want really. In 3.0 that same gate taps me out far too fast for my skill in my opinion.

>>Do you have anything in particular against learning Raw Channeling?

My only issue is mana conservation. With the speed of the pulses and the way that non harnessed/cambrinthed spells need to be cast at a level that eats mana I simply dont like the thought of pulses of 20 mana eating through my attunement every 2 sec. And before anyone jumps me Im well aware that attunement is supposed to stay low in 3.0. Im not attempting to say I want to stay at 100% like I can in 3.0. My issue is that casting a spell at 50 mana drains about 40+% of my mana, and I need to cast it at that to both be effective at level and to train the needed skills. If Ive got mana being sucked straight from me with Raw Channeling this makes it tougher to manage for me. Sure I can sustain a few 20 mana pulses but now when I need that 50 mana spell Im at 30% and have to wait for regen.

Or I can use cambrinth or harness in small bits and avoid all the hassle... which brings me back to my previous point of why Im not happy with cambrinth and harnesses new role as magic crutch.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:37 PM CST
>>Cambrinth is still not required - You can get most of the benefits of cambrinth (lower total attunement cost) via HARNESS when casting non-cyclic spells

Dont get me wrong I certainly love cambrinth and I dont want to come off as attacking its design. My issue is that spell casting in general needs either cambrinth or harness at the high levels or its simply not sustainable. And maybe sustainable isnt the right word but 2 spells cast at 50 mana (my cap is about 60-65) and Im drained. Now I shouldnt be able to do that indefinitely but 2 is way too low. It should be more like 5-6 casting fairly quickly. But I cant do that unless Im harnessing or using camb items... which to me makes them a crutch to be remotely effective. They are doing their jobs perfectly byt lowering attunement cost. I just think initial attunement cost right now is too high.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:38 PM CST
>>Moongate requires some tweaking still, both its cycling speed needs to come down a touch and its difficulty to cap needs to go way up.

This Im very ok with... I dont think it should be an easy spell. It just killed me to see how fast it drains mana.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:40 PM CST
>>The way that people are talking about it, not getting it really isn't a viable choice.

When larger cambrinth items are available, that'll give another method of loading up before casting a cyclic, which makes Raw Channeling less significant. Additionally, you CAN harness a huge amount of mana before you cast your cyclic, which should give you control over your duration.

Also, if you don't use cyclics much, it might not be worth spending a slot on. Some cyclics, especially the low-mana ones, are fine to use harnessed mana for, so it really depends.

>>Or I can use cambrinth or harness in small bits and avoid all the hassle... which brings me back to my previous point of why Im not happy with cambrinth and harnesses new role as magic crutch.

I think your real complaint is that casting spells at higher amounts of mana is actually important, now. The fact that attunement costs increase exponentially as more mana is used has always been present in the magic system - It just matters more in M3.

Again, I'm not sure what you're asking for - what niche do you see these mana-reducing abilities filling, if it's not reducing the cost of spells? You can still make big casts without using harnessed or cambrinth mana, but it will hurt your attunement more significantly (though, it's a good thing it regenerates faster at low amounts). Can you please elaborate on what you'd prefer to see harness and cambrinth mana do?

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:41 PM CST
>>This Im very ok with... I dont think it should be an easy spell. It just killed me to see how fast it drains mana.

The current situation is a bit of a compromise position between how Moongate used to function and 3.0 design scheme. I think it was a worthwhile experiment, but in the end the setup doesn't really do either justice.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 02:55 PM CST
>>Again, I'm not sure what you're asking for..Can you please elaborate on what you'd prefer to see harness and cambrinth mana do?

I had a post on this a while back but Im sure its been eaten by this point so Ill toss it back out.

Im going to use a bit of Prime 2.0 stuff to make comparisons so bear with me. When I was 30-40th circle I could cast a 20 mana spell and drop about 20% of my mana. Not bad. At 100th circle now I still drop about 15-20% mana on a 20 mana cast. Eh? So with hundreds more in skill I cant do it any better than when I was 60 circles lower (and yes I know circles are a bad indicator but let it be a base for the skill needed). In 3.0 this hasnt changed much. Casting at 20 mana drains about 15% or so but 50 mana tanks me. In 3.0 Im required to cast this high. In 2.0 I could avoid it and most folks do. I feel like this made the issue fall through the cracks.

The problem isnt harness and cambrinth. They work perfectly. The problem is that magic skill isnt modifying casting ability nearly to what it should. If at 30th circle casting 20 mana spells dropped me 20% and casting min prep spells (5-7 mana) didnt move my mana bar then I would think that at 100th circle 30 mana spells shouldnt be moving my mana bar by more than 5% and 50 mana should be taking the 20% mana like the 20 mana did at 30th circle. The exponential rise in mana cost to how much mana youre using should be lowered with skill. Think you have a personal cap.. you should have a personal min as well. Your skill is growing but you arent any more efficient than before? That seems... counter productive.

But in 3.0 thats what I see happening. The harness and cambrinth are becoming bandaids for the fact that even with tons of skill casting only gets slightly easier when it should be growing with you. I dont want them to be bandaids. I want spell casting to be efficient to start with and if you choose to harness or use camb then you make them more efficient. As it is spellcasting without them isnt even remotely efficient.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 03:04 PM CST
>>The way that it is being pushed, it sounds to me that Raw Channeling is such an overwhelming strategic choice that it really isn't a choice - it's a requirement.

The "requirement" of it depends strictly on how long you want your cyclics to run and if you can support what is essentially casting the spell over and over at whatever mana level you prepped it at.

Keep in mind that these below are all my views, so not something written in stone.

If you just need a cyclic to pulse a few times, then harnessing and/or cambrinth will work fine. IMO I'd stick to cambrinth since you don't risk nerve damage/leakage using it, but otherwise they're the same thing.

If you want a cyclic to essentially run "forever" and you have the skill to support dropping X mana into it over and over and over into infinity, I think it's much smarter to just use raw channeling than busy yourself with harnessing or cambrinth.

If you don't have the skill (or whatever conditionals) to support dropping X mana into a cyclic over and over into infinity, then I'd probably opt to using cambrinth over raw channeling, just because I can do something like drop a portion of whatever I need per pulse into the cambrinth at a time.

>>that people are making wrong game choices, at a mechanical level, for not getting it.

Players determine lots of things are the "right" way to do things. I know people who swear by the Acumen craft techs, and I think they're totally bonkers (and they feel the same about me). Someone could totally do cyclics by cambrinth/harnessing alone, it's just not as easy, just like people can craft without acumen techs, but it's not as easy.

It's a quality of life thing.

>>I simply dont like the thought of pulses of 20 mana eating through my attunement every 2 sec.

It's possible epedia is wrong, but is there a reason you're casting it at cap? The minimum looks to be 5. I think I remember that more mana lets you reach moonbeams further away, but is it even necessary to always cast that high?

>>And maybe sustainable isnt the right word but 2 spells cast at 50 mana (my cap is about 60-65) and Im drained.

Isn't this how things were in 2.0? I always cast at min and used harness/camb or else tapped out after two or three casts at max.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 03:24 PM CST
>>It's possible epedia is wrong, but is there a reason you're casting it at cap?

Well MG is a bad example here since no I dont need to cast at 20.. its more around 10-12. Im using 20 as an arbitrary number to make my point that for most things now you need to cast high and having it suck 15-20 mana per (sometimes very quick) pulse can get... hazardous to potential casting. I actually think its a neat feat its just not in my realm of desired choices. I dont like mana pulsing out like that... it feels like... bleeding. I like having control over cyclics other than RELEASE <SPELL>.

>>Isn't this how things were in 2.0?

This is exactly how it is in 2.0. But heres the kicker. In 2.0 I have literally no reason to ever cast that high. I can cast min prep spells and in most cases get just as much bang for my buck. Do I think thats a good design? Nope. But due to that I think the exponential increase in mana usage has been overlooked. Now in 3.0 we are required to cast high to both be effective (my 7 mana DOs of death are gone but 30-40 mana DOs work) and to train. And I like that you have to move up your spell casting. But I feel like we are being forced to move up and being penalized for doing it. The cost stays exponential and we dont become more efficient. I think with 3.0 coming out this is the time to fix this and give a real sense of growth to magic skill.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 03:31 PM CST
Sounds like your sad about critter defenses. It affects every instrument of death.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 03:46 PM CST
Sounds like the fact that mana is a resource that you need to manage carefully regardless of skill or level is the sticking point here. However, from a game design standpoint, I cant think of any system where mana management becoming a non-issue is a good thing. We dont want to go back to the 2.0 days where after a certain skill level you never use more then 10% of your allotted attunement.

Elusive
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:06 PM CST
>>Sounds like the fact that mana is a resource that you need to manage carefully regardless of skill or level is the sticking point here. However, from a game design standpoint, I cant think of any system where mana management becoming a non-issue is a good thing. We dont want to go back to the 2.0 days where after a certain skill level you never use more then 10% of your allotted attunement.

This.

There are tools (cambrinth and feats) to help manage your mana. Refusing to use them, and saying that it's too hard to manage does not make your point. I'm not sure of your skills, but I don't know how you can say mana efficiency doesn't scale well with skill in 3.0 when no one has been able to put in the time and train their skills under the new model. All you are doing is comparing data from 2.0 to a completely new model in 3.0. Until you've gained 300-400 levels in your magic under the new model you can't say for sure if mana use scales well under 3.0. Trying to get changes made with bad data and guesses isn't really going to get you far.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:14 PM CST
>>Sounds like your sad about critter defenses. It affects every instrument of death.

Heh sounds like you picked one item out of the whole argument to focus on. I used DO as an example. I can just as easily use CV, PG, or any of my other non combat spells. If youd like though you can consider my issue in terms of weapons... say you move up the critter ladder as a bow user. Now lets say that at goblins its takes 3 arrows to kill them... so under 50 ranks 3 arrows. Now say you move up to Adanf it takes 20 arrows. Regardless of your skill in bows. and back at the goblins? Still 3 arrows. Now fast forward to dillos. 50 arrows. Adanf? still 20 arrows. Goblins? still 3. Sure now you can hit and kill the dillos whereas you cant before (a sign of growth) but youre not getting to be a more efficient bowman since it still takes exactly the same amount of arrows for things far below your ranks. And yes Im sure it does take more arrows to kill the higher critters due to higher stam etc. But you dont think you should kill the lower critters easier than you did when they were the hardest you could do?

>> We dont want to go back to the 2.0 days where after a certain skill level you never use more then 10% of your allotted attunement.

And I agree but I dont see how doing the converse is helping either. What good is skill if a 50 mana cast always takes 40-50% attunement? I have no trouble managing mana. I certainly dont cast two spells outright and I sit at 5% mana because I dont use camb or harness. Its because I use them that I see the utter dependence on them. And thats what I dont like. Im fine with mana management. But its sorta like saying you cant deliever pizzas unless you have a ferrari. Is the ferrari faster and better (camb/harness) well sure. But can I efficiently do it with a gremlin (straight casting) I should be able to.

I dont want to sit at 100% mana... thats not my problem. My problem is I see no growth in mana management out of my 500+ ranks. 50 mana drains me the same now as it did 200 ranks ago. After a certain point it stagnates. Do I think that I should be able to cast a 30 mana spell like I could a 10 mana spell 200+ ranks ago (ie using a few %)? Yeah. Ive grown in strength, my control should be better. Should a 50 mana spell only take a few %? Heh no... 65 is my cap so 50 should be in my sweet spot... 20% or so. Should pushing my very limit of 65 mana drain me 40+%? Yeah it should cause Im pushing my limits.

See where Im goin here? My max prep grows as my skill increases but my min prep doesnt because Im apparently no more efficient than I was at 200 magic. This is my issue.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:20 PM CST
>>All you are doing is comparing data from 2.0 to a completely new model in 3.0.

Id be willing to place money that what Im talking of hasnt changed. Ive done enough testing to know my mana usage is no different in 3.0 than in 2.0. The only thing that changed is that Im required to cast high in 3.0. If a GM corrects me then I will certainly apologize, but 300-400 in skill gains under 3.0 is going to change how much % a 50 mana cost takes by exactly how it does in 2.0... which is trivial.

>>Refusing to use them, and saying that it's too hard to manage does not make your point.

Im not sure where you read this but Ive said neither.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:25 PM CST
>> My problem is I see no growth in mana management out of my 500+ ranks.

500 ranks is not that much to have in 3.0. The magic system is built to scale to 1500 ranks, with the majority of the benefits coming in the first 1000.

>> My max prep grows as my skill increases but my min prep doesnt because Im apparently no more efficient than I was at 200 magic. This is my issue.

Comparing how you cast in 2.0 with 200 ranks and how you cast in 3.0 with 500 ranks is not a valid comparison.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:32 PM CST
IMO the Raw Channeling feat wouldn't be so incredibly vital for cyclics if harnessing more mana without taking damage were plausible in 3.0.

Since all of the spells in 3.0 require way more mana, it'd be nice if you could harness maybe 20% of your skill in Attunement without incurring damage, rather than only 5% as is the current rule in 2.0.

So with 1000 Attunement skill you could harness 200 mana without taking any damage, and the higher up you go from there starts to be more dangerous. And then that feat that helps with harnessing mana without taking damage would help mitigate some of that.

Or maybe you can already harness more mana in 3.0 without taking damage, I've never really tested to be honest.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:33 PM CST
<tangent>
<rant>
To the "I'm going to quit if !X" crowd, understand who and what you are threatening. GMs != paid employees. They're livelyhoods are not threatened, even if the entire DR population just up and quit. I'm sure, for some, they'd end up spending more time employing their skills for pay and end up making more. DR has the rather unique situation where those who are developing the game are entirely separate from those incurring a monetary benefit. And that situation really makes the threat to quit utterly functionless. It's a waste of my time read, a waste of your time to post, and waste of server space to store.
</rant>
</tangent>
Magic 3.0 is awesome... oh wait... I've only played a barbarian at circ. 1 and a trader on test.... Carry on.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:35 PM CST
>>having it suck 15-20 mana per (sometimes very quick) pulse can get... hazardous to potential casting.

But isn't that what makes it fun? You have to choose: do you use the fast pulsing cyclic or do you use something more stable/long term.

It's like with combat where I have to choose between using attacks that keep me balanced and defensive or using attacks that tire me out, do high damage, and make me open for counterattacks.

Plus, in 2.0 you wouldn't have been able to run a cyclic and cast other spells at the same time. I'm not sure how doing both being hard in 3.0 is something that can throw people off their normal habits, since before now it wasn't even possible.

>>I dont like mana pulsing out like that... it feels like... bleeding. I like having control over cyclics other than RELEASE <SPELL>.

Isn't that the tradeoff? Barely any micromanagement when it comes to mana management or lots of roundtimes which indicate the work you're doing for that kind of micromanagement. I think there are going to be situations where either one can be the better choice.

>>Now in 3.0 we are required to cast high to both be effective (my 7 mana DOs of death are gone but 30-40 mana DOs work) and to train.

It's possible I just never went in a situation needing it, but I rarely cast high power TM spells when hunting at level. The only thing that changed for me is debilitation training, and that's more a result of my debilitation being vastly higher than my combats.

>>But you dont think you should kill the lower critters easier than you did when they were the hardest you could do?

This already exists. Once you vastly outclass a critter, the system essentially flips over to what looks/feels/acts like the older combat model, where you explode things left and right. I don't know how it looks on the back end, but from a user perspective it feels like any kind of minimizer/buffer/etc that would prolong combat gets removed and you can jump straight into super-duper-apoc deathblows.

>>What good is skill if a 50 mana cast always takes 40-50% attunement?

But it doesn't/shouldn't. Now that harness and power perception merged into the same skill, using mana essentially also increases your power perception skill, which in turn lets you detect better mana, which in turn lets you use less energy when casting spells.

>>Is the ferrari faster and better (camb/harness) well sure. But can I efficiently do it with a gremlin (straight casting) I should be able to.

It matters how you define efficient. Does your gremlin break down every other block? Sure, you'll still reach your end goal, but it will take longer to do so.

>>My problem is I see no growth in mana management out of my 500+ ranks. 50 mana drains me the same now as it did 200 ranks ago.

Doesn't this imply that you're casting spells in rooms with the same energy from 200 ranks ago? If you're training up all your magics, that shouldn't really be the case. You'd have better overall mana available just because your attunement went up with everything else.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:35 PM CST
>>500 ranks is not that much to have in 3.0.

So over a third of the total amount of possible ranks isnt much? Heh a glass half empty guy eh? So you should only see a difference if youre comparing 100 ranks and 1000 ranks? That seems pretty short sighted. And not only that its a terrible design philosophy to cater only to the HLCs. I know far more that are at my skill level and lower than I do that are in the 1000+ range.

>>Comparing how you cast in 2.0 with 200 ranks and how you cast in 3.0 with 500 ranks is not a valid comparison.

I think our problem is assumption. Youre assuming that I have not tested mana usage in Test with a character under half my skill using the same spells, same guild, etc. I have and its no different in the terms of mentioning 2.0 version mana usage from how I remember it. If I erred in thinking I needed to differentiate that to keep people from trying to pick on trivialities then I apologize.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:39 PM CST
>>if harnessing more mana without taking damage were plausible in 3.0.

But more harness skill helps mitigate that, AND there's a feat for it, AND I'm pretty certain you can [eventually] get the same roundtime straight harnessing as you get for using cambrinth so why bother in the long term to begin with.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 04:54 PM CST
>>But more harness skill helps mitigate that, AND there's a feat for it, AND I'm pretty certain you can [eventually] get the same roundtime straight harnessing as you get for using cambrinth so why bother in the long term to begin with.

Can you harness 200 mana in 3.0 and be safe? That's all I'm saying -- Since mana requirements have grown so incredibly in 3.0 it would be nice if harnessing 200 mana were capable with 1000 ranks in Harness(Attunement) skill, just as an example.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 05:00 PM CST
>>It's like with combat where I have to choose between using attacks that keep me balanced and defensive or using attacks that tire me out, do high damage, and make me open for counterattacks.

This is where I see the difference between using 30 mana and using 50. Do I want to hit it or do I want to explode it.

>>I'm not sure how doing both being hard in 3.0 is something that can throw people off their normal habits,

I actually wasnt referring to it in that sense. I dont cast while cyclics are going since I dont have battle cyclics other than SLS. I look at it from "I just ran my cyclic spell that was pulsing 15% of my mana away and now I need to cast <insert spell> at level and cant." Im not knocking folks for taking that feat... I just dont want it nor should I be required to.

>>Barely any micromanagement when it comes to mana management or lots of roundtimes which indicate the work you're doing for that kind of micromanagement.

Again I dont really have an issue with cyclic spells and harnessing. My only beef with cyclics was they were too sucking mana too fast. Which has already been addressed by Armifer. So my interest in cyclic spells is over.

>>but I rarely cast high power TM spells when hunting at level.

Im not sure what you hunt but I have to use far more mana than I do in 2.0 to hunt with TM in 3.0. Do I need to cast at 60? No. Can I cast at 10 still? No. To be any sort of effective Im having to cast at the 20-30 range. Otherwise I miss and scrape. And thats with higher TM then my hunting area.

>>This already exists.

Not in 3.0 to my knowledge (this is purely from my character perspective). My magics dwarf snowbeasts, but I kill them no faster with TM then I do with my at level small edge. Unless Im putting 50 mana into casts anyhow.

>>But it doesn't/shouldn't.

It does for this guy. Maybe that changes in the 1000 rank area but as I said in a previous post I think thats a bad design. We added all these new ranges so while 50 mana shouldnt be dropping me 40% 70 mana shouldnt be dropping a 1000 rank that far either.

>>Does your gremlin break down every other block?

Heh touche... I tried a bad example here. Say a typical everyday sedan then. Reliable but not sporty. Shaving a few % mana is what harness and camb should do. Right now they negate % drain from spells almost entirely. This makes them king. And the problem (I believe anyhow) is that natural casting doesnt grow like it should. If it did then harness and cambrinth wouldnt be as necessary as they are now. If you wanted to save a bit more mana youd use them otherwise youd do just fine without them. Hence making them an aide not a crutch.

>>If you're training up all your magics, that shouldn't really be the case.

I am. Trust me I wouldnt make this argument if my skill ranges were lopsided. And thats my problem. I should see more mana, my attunement pool should be larger, spells shouldnt drain me as much as they did. But they do. And this is the whole problem I see with how things are going. At best I see maybe a few % difference after huge jumps in skill. In this new system of expanded ranges there are huge areas of improvement that could be made in mana efficiency.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 05:17 PM CST
>>Youre assuming that I have not tested mana usage in Test with a character under half my skill using the same spells, same guild, etc. I have and its no different in the terms of mentioning 2.0 version mana usage from how I remember it. If I erred in thinking I needed to differentiate that to keep people from trying to pick on trivialities then I apologize.

I did not assume anything, I responded to the data you gave in your posts. If you are going to make a complaint about something needing to change then it is on you to provide all the data to support it. If you keep referring to how things were for you in 2.0 when you had less skill then go to talking about how it is working in Test, how is anyone supposed to know how you came to your conclusion except for what you put in your posts?

>>So over a third of the total amount of possible ranks isnt much?

Not when you are talking about 1500 ranks/years of training compared to 500 ranks/year or less of training.

>>Heh a glass half empty guy eh?

No, I just don't expect everything to be easy and handed to me. You keep saying this, but your arguments say different. I also realize that this game goes to 1750 ranks and that there needs to be content and growth through out all those ranks. GMs have stated long ago that the magic rewrite was going to be a nerf, but it's for the benefit of the game and everyone who plays it.

>>And not only that its a terrible design philosophy to cater only to the HLCs. I know far more that are at my skill level and lower than I do that are in the 1000+ range.

Actually the attitude you show here is bad design philosophy and is why DR3 is having to be done. DR combat and magic was originally designed for only a few hundred ranks, and is the reason 2.0 is so broken now. Why spend all this time and effort rewriting the game systems to only extend them a few more hundred ranks? Why not just design them for the full range of ranks that the game has so they can then focus efforts to adding content to the game instead of having to constantly rewrite old systems over and over?

You can say you have done this or that to test, but you have really showed nothing more here than opinion, and it's an opinion that pretty much everyone is disagreeing with. 3.0 was designed to extend growth for the huge range of skills in this game, and to make choices a real thing in this game. Mana management is one of those choices you are going to have to make.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 05:24 PM CST
>Moongate requires some tweaking still, both its cycling speed needs to come down a touch and its difficulty to cap needs to go way up.

Glad to hear that. I'll await the next update to a Moongate tweak but as for now, the current system for the spell completely sucks.

>That said, "Do X or I'll cancel all my accounts" doesn't impress me.

Pretty sure I didn't say that. :)
But nice try at word twisting.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 05:32 PM CST
>>Pretty sure I didn't say that. :)
>>But nice try at word twisting.

And just how else are we supposed to take this?

>>This might be my ace in the hole to cancel all 3 accounts when 3.0 comes out.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 06:30 PM CST
>And just how else are we supposed to take this?

>>This might be my ace in the hole to cancel all 3 accounts when 3.0 comes out.

Offhand, I'm guessing that it was more of a "this straw might break my camel's back" than an ultimatum - but it did have a bit of the ultimatumly feel.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 06:34 PM CST
<GMs have stated long ago that the magic rewrite was going to be a nerf, but it's for the benefit of the game and everyone who plays it.

While this is true, and I support it because i'd rather have more to look forward to, its still a pain in the butt for magic primaries who rely on TM for their main killing tool.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/09/2013 07:01 PM CST
<<The way that it is being pushed, it sounds to me that Raw Channeling is such an overwhelming strategic choice that it really isn't a choice - it's a requirement.>>

I found that the above to be absolutely true for empaths and guardian spirit.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Prev_page Previous 1 3