1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Harness Pulses 01/11/2013 05:16 PM CST
>>Make it so that the roundtime for charging cambrinth goes up with more mana

This is more or less what I was going to end up doing - Charging cambrinth with little bits of mana isn't going to take too long, but pumping it full of a lot of mana is going to take time. Additionally, it should always be faster to pump X mana into a cambrinth than pump X/N mana into a cambrinth N times. The times where the difference between harnessed, raw, and cambrinth mana are important are times when you're talking about big numbers of mana streams.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/11/2013 05:17 PM CST
>>Harness is more convenient than camb. Don't underestimate the laziness of us all. Even at current RT, I am not likely to use camb for regular casting.

I know people can be lazy/impatient/whatever, but the only RT difference between using cambrinth and harness, at least with higher ranks of arcana, is the 2 second RT to focus on the item at the end.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Harness Pulses 01/11/2013 05:46 PM CST
>I know people can be lazy/impatient/whatever, but the only RT difference between using cambrinth and harness, at least with higher ranks of arcana, is the 2 second RT to focus on the item at the end.

Same at the low end. Right now, for me at just under 200 ranks, any cambrinth charge is 2 seconds, the focus is 2 seconds, and any harness is 3 seconds.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/11/2013 07:40 PM CST
>>any harness is 3 seconds.

Huh, I thought it was 2 seconds a few days ago.

Having it 3 seconds vs camb's 2 seconds is an issue, IMO.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 08:18 AM CST
Yeah, a 1 second difference really wasn't on my mind. I am more concerned about it going back to 5 or more, but the scaling that's mentioned sounds like it might work alright, assuming that RT can be trained down with skill. That gives a hook to the underutilized arcana skill anyway. Guess we'll see.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 07:51 PM CST
The need to carry cambrinth to use cambrinth was mentioned, here, and it is a cost. When enchanting comes along, cambrinth might well start competing for slots with other functionally enchanted items. For every piece of camb you wear or hold, you can't wear or hold an alternative enhancive, and that, in it self, might become a significant cost.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 08:33 PM CST
>>The need to carry cambrinth to use cambrinth was mentioned, here, and it is a cost.

Only if you consider that in order to use armor, you need to wear armor, and thus armor has a cost.

>>For every piece of camb you wear or hold, you can't wear or hold an alternative enhancive, and that, in it self, might become a significant cost.

Once again, this seems like a stretch. I can't use a crossbow if I'm holding a sword, too, but that seems like a bizarre thing to consider as a tradeoff/limitation.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 11:48 PM CST
IMO getting cambrinth to minimum RT should be a spell feat. Also getting the max efficiency should also cost a spell feat. Boom, cambrinth gets to be awesome and has an actual valuable cost besides possessing the cambrinth object.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 11:53 PM CST
>>IMO getting cambrinth to minimum RT should be a spell feat. Also getting the max efficiency should also cost a spell feat. Boom, cambrinth gets to be awesome and has an actual valuable cost besides possessing the cambrinth object.

Of course, then you just reduce the purpose of arcana, which generally revolves around "how well you can use cambrinth" as it is.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/12/2013 11:58 PM CST
It would be kinda nice if with high Arcana skill, you wouldn't have to focus on worn cambrinth. It's already touching your skin so a Y'Shai-esque symbiotic link could exist. I wouldn't complain if this were a feat either, but high arcana ranks are lacking some worth.

-Coralin
Re: Harness Pulses 01/13/2013 12:11 AM CST
>>Of course, then you just reduce the purpose of arcana

No, I meant that the feat would allow you to use arcana to reduce the RT to the minimum. You'd still have to have the skill to do it. Without the feat, the minimum you could get to via skill would just be a good deal higher.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Harness Pulses 01/13/2013 12:56 AM CST
<<No, I meant that the feat would allow you to use arcana to reduce the RT to the minimum. You'd still have to have the skill to do it. Without the feat, the minimum you could get to via skill would just be a good deal higher.>>

That's a very cool mix of ideas.
Re: Harness Pulses 01/13/2013 01:46 AM CST
>>No, I meant that the feat would allow you to use arcana to reduce the RT to the minimum. You'd still have to have the skill to do it. Without the feat, the minimum you could get to via skill would just be a good deal higher.

Unless the feat changes my RT from 2 to 1, I feel like that horse is already out of the barn and I don't want to lose ground that I already have.

Re: Harness Pulses 01/13/2013 10:11 AM CST
The effects acquired off (some) enchanted items could be bonused by arcana ranks. That would give aracana plenty of value. Wave the wand at the target, get a 50-mana fireball instead of a 5-mana fireball. High aracana now has value. You could also give them an enormous number of 'charges', with each use taking multiple charges, the exact number being reduced with arcana skill.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
1 3 Next Next_page