Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 08/12/2007 01:19 PM CDT
Tis great news!
A new 'core' system will be beneficial when I finally get my request for Zoluren Military War Mammoths.
-Commander Xixist Forestwolf-Delaevan of the Zoluren Infantry, Ulf'Hara Fist Kill in Peace
Horse Wish List 10/03/2007 08:56 PM CDT
I don't how long it will be until the GM's take a look at the new companion system, which will include horses. But I have a Horse Wish List I'd like to share and maybe have others add to so that the GM's have something to look as they plan the new system. I am a Paladin and my wish list is centered on the Paladin War Horse. I know there have been other wish lists that go waaaaay back, but hopefully this will eventually be helpful.

HORSE WISH LIST

(Not in any particular order)

1. Horse armor not disappear upon the game crashing. Armor does not disappear now when exiting the game when the horse reappears, don?t understand why it disappears when the game crashes.

2. You may group with one other person while you are on your mount. Your companion will then mount behind you and travel with you.

3. Your horse can carry saddle bags that will carry items for you. The saddlebags, like other containers, can be limited in how many items it can carry.

4. Paladins can whistle for their horses to come to them (perhaps the first bond), unless the horse is stabled, naturally.

5. Horses (at least Paladin war horses) can drag a stunned or dead master to a safe area automatically. (However, it is understood that a stunned character can still die before they get to safety, even if dragged.) Perhaps the horse can drag to the nearest road or thoroughfare.

6. A Paladin can signal a horse to drag another stunned or dead character to safety, road or thoroughfare.

7. Open up the hunting grounds available for war horses to combat in. Along those lines, make horses able to climb more trails and paths to the hunting grounds. Of course, there are some exceptions and horses would not realistically be able to climb all trails and cliffs to maintain reality; however, because the game is designed with off-the-road or out-of-the-way places for hunting areas, horses have been limited in getting there. Please make more places to hunt with war horses.

8. Do not make player-owned horses able to be stolen or killed by other players. Having a horse not only is very expensive but also very time intensive to train and bond with. I wouldn?t object to corral horses (those available to be purchased by other players) being able to be stolen.

9. Does a bonded horse today always require a touch a sniff before the master can pet it? It seems to me that if you are bonded to the horse, you shouldn?t have to be so careful in your approach to your own horse, no matter how long it?s been since you?ve seen it (well, I suppose if you?re away a LONG time, maybe).

10. The combat system with horses is broken now, when the new combat system was recently implemented. Hopefully, combat with horses will be fixed with the new horse/companion system.

Holy Warrior Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Re: Horse Wish List 10/04/2007 08:21 AM CDT
From the Ranger's perspective, I'd like to see Animal Lore factor heavily into interactions with horses.

I'd also like to see Ranger horses not require stabling if the Ranger has enough AL to "tame" a wild horse. Basically I'd like to see horses more like ranger companions. I also want to be able to catch horses that people want to buy, ie: 18 hand black stallions. Anything short of that doesn't really sell.

I'd really like to see mounted combat give a bonus to pole melee weapons and a penalty to melee ranged melee weapons. I'd like to see special mounted only moves that can be executed in groups as well as individually. A cavalry charge used to be a scary thing on a RL battle field, I'd like to see some of that make it's way into DR ins some form or another.

We could come up with a mile long list I suppose but truth be told I just want a stable system that's flexible enough that many GMs can work on it and well documented on both sides of the NDA. We can work on "cool tricks" from there.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 10/04/2007 01:42 PM CDT
>2. There will be some explorations done on some aspects of horses by the Paladin Team, with emphasis on the War Horse fighting capabilities.

Y'kno, with how powerful war horses can be for paladisn (at least from what I've experienced gobs~woodies) I'm surprised they haven't allowed Ranger companions to help in combat. Even if the companions would have to be hurt, it shouldn't be too hard to fathom a bonding spell between the ranger and their companion so the ranger knows to pull the pet out when he himself is in danger, and train a trick to order the pet to scuttle off or something.

Reene: It's like you started writing something sane then had a seizure of some kind half way through.
Re: Horse Wish List 10/05/2007 07:08 PM CDT
Wild pony herd! I want a wild pony herd!

Ponies are prettier than goats. And right now, rangers can't catch them. Wild pony herds have existed around the real world in the past, so we should have a pony herd, not just a horse herd.

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Re: Horse Wish List 10/11/2007 04:59 PM CDT
>I'd really like to see mounted combat give a bonus to pole melee weapons and a penalty to melee ranged melee weapons. I'd like to see special mounted only moves that can be executed in groups as well as individually. A cavalry charge used to be a scary thing on a RL battle field, I'd like to see some of that make it's way into DR ins some form or another.

As long as I can fireball horses into dogfood. Want to bring horses more into combat, then they need to be brought all the way into combat and be subject to injury and death.

The Prydaen word for Woman is Yif.
That explains a lot.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Horse Wish List 10/11/2007 06:01 PM CDT
How about a compromise for those who PvP or CvC, or however you want to classify it - how about the horse will not be able to battle with a player at all, only NPC creatures and characters. That way, it will not be unfair advantage to players who like to battle other players, and yet our horses stay out of danger and can still assist us in battle with NPC creatures.

Holy Warrior Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Re: Horse Wish List 10/11/2007 06:26 PM CDT
Why shouldn't the NPC creatures be able to damage the horse?

Rangers could tend horse injuries, feed them herbs and have empaths heal them (to gain animal lore + empathy).
Re: Horse Wish List 10/12/2007 07:49 AM CDT
>As long as I can fireball horses into dogfood. Want to bring horses more into combat, then they need to be brought all the way into combat and be subject to injury and death.

I'm fine with that, more dead horses would mean an actual market for the dozen vouchers I've got sitting in my vault.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Horse Wish List 11/21/2007 07:13 AM CST
Hanyru, it's pretty hard for anyone but a ranger to train animal lore, so it would have to be only a bonus, not a penalty, and also- I'm willing to bet it's damn hard to kill a horse in armor, so the GMs need to keep that in mind.
Re: Horse Wish List 11/21/2007 08:02 AM CST
I learned animal lore at a bangin rate with fishing.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 4 is out! Now with vocal support! 9/18/2007
Horses 03/29/2008 12:09 PM CDT
I'm looking into buying a horse, possibly from Horse Clan in an attempt to learn animal lore as well as for a title gain. My question is this..how much upkeep does a horse require? And if they do teach animal lore (which I'm assuming they do) is it even mildly substantial for a lore prime guild?
Or are they a big expensive waste of time? I don't see them as being a waste, but then again I don't own one.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Horses 03/29/2008 12:28 PM CDT
The problem is the current system doesnt do all thats expected.
The only learning a player can achive from a horse (that Im aware of ) is to instruct it. Teaching classes to mounts is pretty much a Ranger skill, although some guilds have a skill or two they can gain in regards to what you can do while mounted. So really if AL is your real motive, a horse would not be the route with the current system.
Tending worms,leeches,mites, etc. is the only way for most guilds to learn this skill outside of Rangers. Its been said that changes to pets/mounts/summons/companions are coming, so hopefully this might be adressed.
Next time you see me ask for a class, I've got a rep for sitting around and teaching AL thanks to Tiso.

~
With a soft creak of hinges the iron door opens, and a small group of armed Elotheans march in. One of them looks around until he sees you and says, "It is time for judgment, Alexii." Silently, they haul you to your feet and march you out.
Re: Horses 03/30/2008 08:54 AM CDT
Thanks Alexii!

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Horses 03/30/2008 03:12 PM CDT
Uhh, let's not forget that fishing teaches amazing amounts of Animal Lore. Go fish.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Horses for Commoners? 04/28/2008 12:09 AM CDT
I'm aware that Commoner's can own and ride horses with the proper class for your local stablemaster. But what i'm wondering is can they be instructed in things like... Jousting, War, and the like to make them better jousters and allow them to ride their horse into combat? If they can how exactly does it work... and if they can't then that's just unfair to those who perfer to remain commoners like myself.
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/28/2008 05:19 AM CDT
if i'm not mistaken it's the horse that learns it not the rider

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/28/2008 06:04 AM CDT
You can Instruct both horses and people. Such as Grab for people so they can get things from the ground while mounted on a horse. The horse must know how to joust before it can joust yes but if a person is instructed in joust by a paladin then they can joust more effectively... So the question is. Can a Commoner whose circle is 0 learn the skills from the guilds when the skills usually require someone whose of circle 30 - 40 to learn. And if not then it's not exactly fair to the commoners.

~ Dasi Flac - Soon to be Dark Swordsman of Elanthia
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/28/2008 06:24 AM CDT
its like that for all the guilded too - you have to be whatever circle to learn certain skills, i.e. rangers have to be a certain skill before the stablemaster will teach them to teach the horse certain commands, no matter how much animal lore they have as well.

unfortunately, the horses are circle-based rather than skill-based.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/28/2008 04:38 PM CDT
they should change that, animal lore would make more sense

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/29/2008 12:21 AM CDT
Well, the entire horse system is just daffy..

V.
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/29/2008 12:43 AM CDT
That's just unfair to commoners... Some want to joust but do not want to join a guild. They can joust but without the jousting lesson they can't even do it fairly well. There needs to be something done about this unfairness... Aren't there any Horse GM's out there?

~ Dasi Flac - Soon to be Dark Swordsman of Elanthia
Re: Horses for Commoners? 04/29/2008 12:27 PM CDT
Who cares if they can't do it as well.

They're commoners.

While I think some things would be neat to add, Tote suggested a hulk ability once which would be pretty hilarious, commoners are commoners.

If you want things, join a guild.

I am --- Navak
Horses fixed? 04/30/2008 03:13 PM CDT
I posted in the Paladins Warhorse folder too. My horse all of a sudden is behaving like he did before combat broke horses. Was something tweaked? It's marvelous, whatever happened. He's showing up in my assess and fighting beautifully!

Dame Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Horses leaving on disconnect 07/05/2008 04:40 PM CDT
I have poor ISP service which I can do nothing about. I disconnect frequently. Very frustrating. I can either decide not to play or I can just deal. So far I'm trying to just deal with it. Upon disconnect, my horse usually trots away, and I have to wait up to half an hour for the horse to return. I usually reconnect immediately. How difficult would it be to code the horses to stay, even just a minute after a disconnect? I'm probably the only person with this problem, so it most likely is a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask?

Thanks for your consideration.

Re: Horses leaving on disconnect 07/10/2008 06:37 PM CDT
To add to my question, when I purposefully, manually quit the game for an errand or whatever, leaving my horse out (I only do this if I know I'm going to be gone a short time), my horse will return to me within 5 minutes of reloggging into the game. But on ISP disconnects, my horse does not return for 15 minutes to a half an hour. Why is there such a difference, does anybody know?

Thanks for your consideration.

Horses for sale 07/16/2008 08:05 PM CDT
Hello, I was wondering whether anyone has any horses for sale. I do have something rather particular in mind, after trawling the stables for what feels like years and never finding it! Perhaps she doesn't exist but I thought this was the best place to ask.

I'm looking for a 16 hand grey mare (smoky, rose, silver, possibly another grey). I'm not too fussed about markings although a star, stripe or blaze would be brilliant!

I'm only a young ranger at the moment so will only be riding bareback. I'm quite happy for her to be untrained or just lead rope trained. I'm rather hoping we will learn together as my own skills develop!

Anyway, if anyone can help me out please do get in touch. I'm getting so fed up with searching that I've taken to pitching a tent next to the corral in the Mews on the off-chance that I'll find her!

Thank you :)

Lysorla

p.s. am I the only one that wishes there was a search facility in the forum? Or is there one and I'm just being blind and stupid!
Re: Horses for sale 07/17/2008 06:51 AM CDT
You might want to check with Ienna (trader, crossing). I sold her a several grey horses not to long ago. If she's out, you can contact Hanryu (in Shard or via email) about a "custom" order.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Horses for sale 07/17/2008 10:26 AM CDT
I might have one or two as well. In fact I think I have a fully trained rose one somewhere in the stables.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Horses for sale 07/17/2008 04:47 PM CDT
Thank you both, that does sound promising! There was a 16hh steel grey mare at the Crossing mews today, but I'd actually prefer to buy one from a player, and not just because of the potential coin difference. I'd actually like to support those people that take the time and effort to go off and catch these animals.

I've always dreamed about becoming a wrangler, but having read back over several years of horse posts it seems that the whole horse system is a little bit in recession at the moment! It is such a shame and I really hope they do get around to fixing the bugs and making the improvements that so many people have been asking for for so long.

Having gotten information from Elanthipedia that I could learn lead rope at 20 (I'm 23 circle), it seems this is not true as Mathwen won't teach me and Wyrblades' site does actually say 30, so I would need my mare to be leadrope trained at the very least.

Thanks again for the help. I'm really looking forward to joining the ranks of the horse owners, even despite all the issues I have read about!

Safe trails,

Lysorla
Re: Horses for sale 07/18/2008 09:41 AM CDT
So I did some log searching, just cause I was curious about the request for a 16 hand grey mare. This of course made me break out the excel sheet (seriously, were any of you surprised?)

Based on the 38 horses I've cut from the herd in the last month, the chances of cutting a 16 hand grey mare from a wild herd are ~5%. Cool eh? BTW, original poster, I hit that 5% this morning:

The dapple grey horse is sixteen hands high with a light grey coat mottled with darker spots on the hindquarters. It has a grey mane and tail. The mare has a narrow white stripe running from below the left eye to just above the nostrils.

I have special deals for novice-rangers looking for horses(since that's how I got my first horse). If you're not afraid of a little travel, maybe some work, you can get ahold of me on AIM @ HanryuDR

Some more horse data:
total cut38% of total
mares2361%
geldings1437%
14's1539%
15's1334%
16's924%
greys1232%
duns924%
chestnuts718%
roans38%
buckskins25%
whites13%

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 03:15 PM CDT
So been collecting more data:
total cut54% of total
mares3056%
geldings2444%
14's2343%
15's1833%
16's1324%
greys1528%
duns917%
chestnuts815%
bays1019%
roans611%
buckskins47%
whites24%

And the script I've been working on to keep my classes active and gather some data on how long each class takes. Pretty sure it'll work only on YASSE, but it might be easily adaptable to other scrip engines.

#instruct horse, By Hanryu
set trigger on
action kill.instruct goto done2
speed fast
setvariable total 0

if_1 goto %1
sad:
saddle:
gosub class saddle
lead:
leadrope:
gosub class leadrope
joust:
gosub class joust
com:
combat:
gosub class combat
magic:
spells:
gosub class magic
knee:
kneel:
gosub class kneel
jump:
gosub class jump
spin:
rear:
gosub class spin
prance:
gosub class prance
animal:
race:
gosub class animal
printbox 265 "Yay! This horse is fully trained!."
exit
insession:
printbox 265 "You are already teaching a horse."
exit

class:
match return already trained
match started You begin to instruct
match insession You are already
match return already combat trained
put instruct horse %w
matchwait

return:
return

started:
printbox 265 "Class started."
getwordfrom instruct 3
setvariable horse %w
getwordfrom horse -1
if %w ne %horse
setvariable horse "%horse %w"
resume:
SETVARIABLE start %secondsonline
match paused You stop instructing
match paused The animal you were instructing isn't here so you pause
match done You finish instructing your
matchwait

paused:
SET variable temp %secondsonline
CALCULATE temp sub $start$
calculate total add %temp
restart:
waitfor a %horse horse
match restart Doing that would reveal your location
match restart You don't have any classes currently pending
match restart I can't find the animal you were instructing
match resume positive attitude
put instruct continue
put yes
matchwait

done:
SET variable temp %secondsonline
CALCULATE temp sub $start$
calculate total add %temp
setvariable minutes %total
setvariable remainder %total
calculate minutes div 60
calculate remainder mod 60
printbox 265 "That class took $minutes$.$remainder$ minutes."
done2:
EXIT

errorhandler:
printbox 265 "Error #$errornumber$ occurred on the line #$errorline$ : $line$"
EXIT

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 03:44 PM CDT
How does one wrangle a gelding?

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Upcoming Tournies:
70 and Under, Sun Jul 20th: http://www.tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=24
No Limit, Thu Jul 24th: http://www.tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=12
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 03:49 PM CDT
>>How does one wrangle a gelding?

throw underhanded and aim low.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 04:01 PM CDT
Interesting that you haven't wrangled any black horses yet.

~Thilan
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 04:12 PM CDT
>Interesting that you haven't wrangled any black horses yet.

Are you suggesting he might be racist?
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 05:16 PM CDT
No, means that horse color isn't available perhaps? People do love black horses.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 05:29 PM CDT
I wrangled my black horse from the Zoluren Mews... heh.

D: So does your wife have any special powers?

M: Yes! Once a month, she becomes eeevil... and I cannot defeat her!
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/21/2008 05:58 PM CDT
yeah, i thought i saw it posted somewhere <either here on the forums a long while ago, or one of the ranger sites> that black horses were only available in the "corrals" or shops, and not as wild horses. Which is a pity, given their popularity. The horse I'd always pictured for certain of my characters is akin to the one ridden by the headless horseman in the old ichabod crane,sleepy hollow stories.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Horse data update, horse training script 07/22/2008 07:18 AM CDT
>>How does one wrangle a gelding?
>throw underhanded and aim low.

>>Interesting that you haven't wrangled any black horses yet.
>Are you suggesting he might be racist?

LOL, awesome!

>that black horses were only available in the "corrals" or shops

This. We can't catch gold or black horses. We can't catch "funkyname" horses (think akhal, etc). We can't catch anything smaller than 14 hands (so no ponies). We can't catch anything larger than 16 hands (this one really bothers me as the player of a Kaldar). Pretty much there are more "you can not's" than "you can's" when it comes to horses, but that should not surprise anyone that has spent any time with the system. So much for "player made" being better than "store bought".

Maybe we'll see some of these limitations addressed if/when the "pet system" gets rewritten. That's my dream at least. Hey, there a chance we could get a GM to comment on the status of the universal pet system?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis