Re: Horses and Boats 02/20/2005 01:42 PM CST
<You stable your horse and it can get teleported to you at anouther stable on the islands.>

I didn't say that you can't get your horse to the islands, but it's a whole lot more ic to take it on a boat than to leave it at a stable and have it magically appear at another stable. I refuse to put my horse into a stable, however, since the last time I did she hadn't been fed.

I have three horses and, yes, they are often afraid of bridges and such, but they'll generally walk over most anything if they trust their handler enough. Today, horses are shipped by boat and airplane... it's not such a terrible stretch to think that we could have one hoisted onto a boat with us.
Re: Horses and Boats 02/20/2005 03:19 PM CST
>>I didn't say that you can't get your horse to the islands, but it's a whole lot more ic to take it on a boat

Hear, hear!
Here, here? Huh.

I don't know.

~Fyrie
Re: Horses and Boats 02/21/2005 07:24 PM CST
I don't think anyone is working on horses now, so we're probably out of luck for awhile.

~Dulcinia

Your mind hears Kiy thinking, "bends you over but positions mirrors so you can watch"
Your mind hears Kiy thinking, "okay that was Moonmage training..nothing to see here"
Travelling Scripts for Horses 02/25/2005 07:58 PM CST
Anyone know where I can find some travel scripts for horses?

~ Isobelle
Horses 02/26/2005 09:33 PM CST
How much do they cost?

What cities do you go to to buy one?

Not sure I will, just am kind of lost while thinking about it.

Tilven
Re: Horses 02/28/2005 11:17 AM CST
I don't have any info on the islands, but you can buy horses in Therenborough Keep, Lang Estate Holders' Club, Zoluren Royal Mews (out the N gate of the Crossing), Steel Claw Clan, and Horse Clan on the mainland. You can also ask around and see if any Rangers have horses for sale. Prices vary. Zoluren Royal Mews seems to be the cheapest. Prices seem to vary and I haven't nailed down all the factors, but race seems to be a big one. More info on my website http://www.wyrblade.net/Dragonrealms/drhorses.htm.
Horse Question 03/10/2005 12:04 PM CST
Folks,

First posted this in the Ranger folder but I hope to get more info here. I am 40th circle Ranger and want to learn spin and prance. When I ask the stablemaster to teach these to me he is busy. Is there some reason I can't learn these yet. If it helps, my stats are:
str 40 stam 40 agil 31 reflex 21
all others 20

Utark
Re: Horse Question 03/10/2005 01:20 PM CST
Responded to in the Ranger folder, but will respond again. There is a timer on asking the stableman questions. You need to wait a few minutes between, or you get the, "too busy," message. Your circle is sufficient to learn spin, but you need to be 45th to learn prance. Any time your skills are insufficient, the stableman will tell you to return when you have more skill.
Re: Horse Question 03/10/2005 07:31 PM CST
Actually it doesn't appear to be totally circle based. You must also have a certain amount of animal lore to teach certain classes. As far as animal lore goes Spin and Rear should be learned easily if you have an amount roughly equal to what raising at least one raccoon teaches. Don't forget to ask the stableman if the stablemaster doesn't know anything about it.

Artaban
Re: Horse Question 03/10/2005 08:27 PM CST
He posted somewhere that he had 70s in animal lore. That's at least as much as I had when I got spin. It should be more than enough for Prance, too. And yes, be sure you ask the stableman. Stablemasters (at least none of the ones on the mainland, haven't tested the islands) don't teach those keywords.
Horses for Sale 04/18/2005 04:56 PM CDT

i have horses selling at affordable prices for anyone that wants a
companion to join them in their adventures. I have several kinds in
stock at the moment. Base price is 15pk for a basic trained horse
(saddle/leadrope). Fully trained horses cost 45-55pk depending on the
color/designs they have. Rarer colors cost more.
If i dont have a horse in stock, i can custom herd one for you and
custom train it on a personalized pay scale. My goal is to make
horses accessible to all adventurers in the Realms. Store prices start
at 50plats for a basic trained horse so i think my prices are very
reasonable. Send an email to dropdown20@yahoo.com for any questions
or requests.
Looking for Specific Horses... 08/22/2005 02:41 AM CDT
I am looking for:

1. The gold-colored horse is sixteen hands high with a pale gold-colored coat. It has a white mane and tail. The gelding has a small white mark centered on the forehead.

<<It MUST be a gelding that is sixteen hands.

2. The blue roan horse is fourteen hands high with a black coat that has white hairs interspersed throughout. It has a black mane and tail. The gelding has white marks on the legs extending from the top of the hooves to the top of the ankles.

<<It MUST be a gelding of between thirteen and fifteen hands.

No mares.

I will consider these markings on either horse but no others:
- with no other markings.
- a small white mark centered on the forehead.
- a small, thin white line running down the length of the face.
- a white mark extending from the top of the hooves to the top of the ankles.

If you have a horse like this for sale, please contact me at tradergnara@aol.com or simply IM me at Trader Gnara.

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Re: Looking for Specific Horses... 08/22/2005 03:04 AM CDT
I am looking for:

1. The gold-colored horse is sixteen hands high with a pale gold-colored coat. It has a white mane and tail. The gelding has a small white mark centered on the forehead.

<<It MUST be a gelding that is sixteen hands.

2. The blue roan horse is fourteen hands high with a black coat that has white hairs interspersed throughout. It has a black mane and tail. The gelding has white marks on the legs extending from the top of the hooves to the top of the ankles.

<<It MUST be a gelding of between thirteen and fifteen hands.

No mares.

I will consider these markings on either horse but no others:
- with no other markings.
- a small white mark centered on the forehead.
- a small, thin white line running down the length of the face.
- a white mark extending from the top of the hooves to the top of the ankles.

If you have a horse like this for sale, please contact me at tradergnara@aol.com or simply IM me at Trader Gnara.

I would also consider feathered hooves. But has anyone caught a horse like that besides Dulcinia's stallion?

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Prospective Horse Buyer Questions 09/01/2005 10:30 AM CDT
Wondering how much a white or grey horse (gelding preferred) at least 16hh high would set me back, preferably trained in combat, jousting, war, etc. My ranger can do some of the basic training but not the more advanced stuff. Anyone have an idea as to the cost range? Also, how much does it generally cost for horse upkeep, i.e. stable fares, food, etc.?

~Thilan
Re: Prospective Horse Buyer Questions 09/01/2005 01:21 PM CDT
If you get a horse from a ranger, it all depends on that ranger. From the stables I think they run 40 plat or so for a basic trained horse.

As for the training, anywhere from free to 10 plat an hour. Again, depending on the ranger. I think I just sold my white horse, but I'll take a peak into my vouchers again.

As for upkeep, you can feed them free foraged grass. Stabling is relatively cheap (a few silver?). When I have my horse out and I'm playing a fair amount I'll sometimes leave it in a 'wild' area and log out. If you log out, the horse leaves to (beware leaving tack you prize on a horse). When you log back in the next time, as long as within the next day or two, the horse should reappear at that spot it left approx 10 minutes later. If you don't log in for a while longer, the stables will collect it and charge you a finders fee, something like a gold or two. Keeping a horse isn't terribly expensive.

Jalika

You hear a female voice whisper, "Easily used when offered, probably is like other men. Always speaking with their muscles, and not the one that rests between their ears."
Re: Prospective Horse Buyer Questions 09/01/2005 01:25 PM CDT
Okay, just looked. This is what I got that might suit ya.

This voucher is for a rose grey horse that is sixteen hands high with a red-tinted medium grey coat. It has a dark grey mane and tail. The gelding has a white star-shaped mark on the forehead.

This voucher is for a dapple grey horse that is sixteen hands high with a light grey coat mottled with darker spots on the hindquarters. It has a grey mane and tail. The mare has a white marking on the heel of the right hind leg.

Drop me an IM if ya want. SpiffDR.

Jalika

You hear a female voice whisper, "Easily used when offered, probably is like other men. Always speaking with their muscles, and not the one that rests between their ears."
Re: Hope for Horses?! 09/29/2005 02:58 PM CDT
<<perhaps he's just feeling his oats>>

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ow.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Hope for Horses?! 09/29/2005 09:43 PM CDT
Who's the GM? Last I heard, Oolan (he's the critter GM, right) was taking over without actually committing to them, sort of like "it's time to man this project, but we need to focus on all our existing efforts first" kind of deal.

At any rate, Oolan specifically said 1)nobody was claiming the system and 2)he was just there to fix the leaky faucet.

J'Lo, no that other one
Horse Clan 11/20/2005 10:23 PM CST
I'm lazy, so I only looked through paged 1-15 of past posts, but didn't see anything specific.

Where... specifically, whom do I buy my Horse from in Horse Clan?

I see the Osage Pen, but cannot ORDER. I've been to the Horse Trader Tent. ([Zaldi Taipa, Horse-trader's Chadir]) and no one is there to order from.

Getting confused. Need a horse. Please send help.

Re: Horse Clan 11/20/2005 10:24 PM CST
Nevermind. I went and typed ORDER in every room and finally found it.

Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 10:01 AM CST
>>Getting confused. Need a horse. Please send help.

LOL

~Brady, player of Bounty Hunter Samus, Wayne Brady and M. Baiter of The Fallen

The shadowling exclaims, "Bogo!"
Looks like someone has BOGO on the brain...
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 03:28 PM CST
I lied before.

You see,

A stablehand says, "You'll need to take the basic horsemanship class from our Stablemaster before we will even consider selling you an animal."

SO...

>ask ela about horsemanship
Stablemaster Ela doesn't seem to know anything about that right now.
>ask ela about training
Stablemaster Ela doesn't seem to know anything about that right now.

HELP?

Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 03:35 PM CST
Did you try asking about class/riding/horse/mount? Whatever the syntax is, it's fairly easy to figure out, and if you still have problems there's a player site or three that explains it all (ie, Wolf's Den or whatever it's called).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 03:48 PM CST
>Did you try asking about class/riding/horse/mount? Whatever the syntax is, it's fairly easy to figure out, and if you still have problems there's a player site or three that explains it all (ie, Wolf's Den or whatever it's called).

Yes. Everything tells me ASK (stablemaster) about HORSE is the syntax. Ela doesn't know it. She's dumb, I hate her.

I went to SteelClaw Clan and Krison taught me right up.

Go Krison. He needs a raise.

Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 04:11 PM CST
I know at the Royal Mews in Xing, there are two stable masters in different rooms, one who deals with the horse classes, and one who teaches basic horsemanship. Perhaps there's a second in horse clan as well? Just a guess.

Jalika

Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 04:18 PM CST
Possibly, but I looked ALL over. Maybe I didn't look in the right spots.

Re: Horse Clan 11/21/2005 06:10 PM CST
I believe the nearest place to learn Horsemanship to Horse Clan would be in Steel Claw Clan. The stablemaster is just through the front door, and you do have the syntax correct.
Re: Horse Clan 11/22/2005 01:35 PM CST
Mews as in, the place where they keep the birds? Oh wait, probably the other mews... 'cuz there is a mews in Horse Clan, full of falcons and things...
Re: Horse Clan 11/23/2005 12:25 PM CST
Royal Mews, just out the northern gate of crossings.

Jalika

Horses and Moongates 02/03/2006 03:11 PM CST
Is it just me or will horses not go through moongates anymore?
Re: Horses and Moongates 02/03/2006 03:48 PM CST
This is a very annoying development. The stablehands don't have any trouble transporting horses through moongates.

Now whenever I want to travel, I will have to leave my horse behind. How inconsistent with the purpose of mounts is this? I miss my horse already.

-disgruntled moonmagess horsewoman
Re: Horses and Moongates 02/03/2006 04:04 PM CST
Could be wrong but I think you've always had to lead a horse through a moongate, can't ride them through

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Horses and Moongates 02/03/2006 04:15 PM CST
I tried leading, too. The result was that I'd go through the moongate and the horse would be left behind.
Re: Horses and Moongates 02/03/2006 04:19 PM CST
>>I tried leading, too. The result was that I'd go through the moongate and the horse would be left behind.

That happens no matter if you're leading a horse or a group of people. The second the casting mage touches a gate, it closes, so no one can follow the caster.
Notes on Horses from Simucon 07/30/2007 02:16 PM CDT
Questions were many. Answers were few.

What answers we did get at Simucon consisted of the following: (Please note these are MY recollections and are NOT binding on the GMs <grin>. Just because I misheard due to lack of sleep and copious quantities of alcohol does NOT mean the GMs have somehow reneged on stuff that is actually released if it is different.)

1. Rather than continuing to do 'special code' for various things, there is a STRONG movement in the GM world to standardize stuff with 'core' code that can then be extended and called upon by various similar systems. With that in mind, rather than "patching" horses, the intent is build a core system that can be used by familiars, companions, horses, and special riding critters such as goats and such. This will be coded by a team of GMs rather than trying to assign it to one GM. So.. it will not be something that will be completed even "simu-soon".

2. There will be some explorations done on some aspects of horses by the Paladin Team, with emphasis on the War Horse fighting capabilities. These small fixes/patches will be relatively minor upgrades and probably not noticed by many when they are rolled in. The BIG fixes (group riding, combat bonus/damage due to fighting while mounted, ability to whistle for your horse/familiar/companion to make them come to where you are, minor cargo capabilities for our critters, etc) will be part of the SYSTEMIC rewrite.

So.. bottom line. The entire system of "helpful critters" will undergo a rewrite as a complete SYSTEM with hooks to the various types of critters. This will be done by a team, hopefully bypassing the "Horse Curse" that seems to drive off every GM assigned to look into horses since Jeremael.

From the comments at Simucon, the outlook is more hopeful than it was before.. but don't hold your breath until it is completed. DO, however start posting your suggestions/ideas for companions, familiars, horses, goats, etc in the appropriate guild folders NOW to get your ideas out there while they are designing this new system.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 07/30/2007 05:00 PM CDT
Thank you Redarch for the update on horses. I think when it is implemented, it will be a wonderful new system. I'm disappointed we will have to wait a long time, though, but I understand there is a lot of work being done with all the systems in DR at the moment, and I'll just have to be patient. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my horse as he is, with all his faults....

Keep up the GREAT work, everybod, and thanks again, Redarch.

Guardian Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 08/01/2007 01:58 PM CDT
Thanks for posting Redarch. Makes me happy to hear that horses (and even ranger companions!) are somewhere in the plans, even if its a long way off.
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 08/01/2007 08:49 PM CDT
That was my most pleasant part of listening to the GM's talk about the "core system" design. Instead of a bunch of "spaghetti code" written specifically for each "useful critter", the idea of a comprehensive core that all of them share, that GM's can then "customize" for the specific critter they are writing. That's much more manageable PLUS more likely to actually get done, than to toss one poor GM at the HUGE code that Jeremael left and try to figure out where to fix it first.

That makes things like group riding, bonused mounted combat, cargo-carrying familiars, etc much more likely if there's a central core that all understand.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 08/02/2007 01:18 PM CDT
Yay! This sounds like a superb system in the works! Thanks Redarch for letting us know about it, and thanks GM's for working on it! I can't wait, although I know it will probably be years. All this new stuff is exciting! Makes living in Elanthia very pleasant.

Holy Warrior Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus
Re: Notes on Horses from Simucon 08/02/2007 01:20 PM CDT
Although, as an adendum....I hope the GM's might take a peak at the system now and maybe tweak the bug that seems to be affecting our horses at the moment. As broken as the system is now and as exciting as the new system will be (and it will be years before it is implemented), the current bug is very difficult to deal with at the moment.

Holy Warrior Airoza and her faithful Warhorse Sir Maximus