Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 08:52 PM CDT
Paladins can fight from horseback, but as far as I know (unless it's changed since I've been gone) we get the casting penalties as well.
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 10:44 PM CDT
I recall it being a design decision. If horses EVER get rewritten, maybe they'll change that. As it stands, the horse system is a mess and a major disappointment, but the potential is there. I just don't think there's anyone working on them.

My advice would be to get a horse now while they're cheap, get it trained, and stable it till the entire system gets overhauled. Maybe someday they'll get fixed.

Oh and speaking of fixed, it's just wrong that they come out of the wilds already gelded. Poor horsies.

~Dulcinia

Rikulf giggles in wild delight as he traces the name Dulcinia in the air.
Re: Horses and magic 10/16/2004 01:57 AM CDT
I think they made them gelded in the wild because people would immediately freak out and want to get stallions because they're all 'kewel.' There was probably some realization that this was not 'right' somehow, but rather than make them rarer by giving them realistic stallion problems (likelihood to bite, to charge off after mares, to ignore their owners while attacking other stallions, testing owner 'dominance' with every ride) they just invented the Stealth Gelder.

It makes no sense at all, but sort of addresses the problem in a vague way, much like other aspects of the system.

---Brett
Re: Horses and magic 10/16/2004 02:09 AM CDT
As much as I appreciate your advice Dulcinia, I can't see spending all that money on something I'll never use at this point. My character is constantly casting, and if that's going to be nerfed while riding, she isn't going to ride. Maybe once they make the system usable I'll consider using it.
Re: Horses and magic 10/16/2004 08:19 AM CDT
>> My WM should be able to cast a targeted spell from horseback with no penalty if it was just about MR.

I disagree and I think the system needs to make it more difficult to do anything from horseback - but probably not as bad as it is now.

My reason is that the difference between casting (or using a sword, or bow, etc) on foot and casting on horseback is a marked one. On foot you need only worry about your task at hand. On horseback you must concentrate on the task at hand and also control a half ton plus of another living creature under you. That creature has its own emotions, fears, nervous system, eyes, and brain processing its own perceptions and observations of the same situation. Cavalry horses throughout time have to be trained to overcome this and be controlled by the rider. Warhorses from the middle ages were very expensive items to own and use.

I used to do a lot of civil war reenacting and many conversations with the cavalry guys on their methods used to train their horses to get used to the sounds of "battle". One of the best quotes came from a guy who was doing the initial training: "It's like going into a battle with a 3-4 year old kid next to you. You have to hold its hand, keep it from getting scared and nervous, and constantly reassure it that you're there and it's going to be ok."

It's a living creature, and when you are riding it you have to control your own emotions (which it senses and feeds on), your weapons skills, and the horse and its emotions and skills. All at once.

Now I do feel DR should have a way to train this off (sends up the five hundreth request for a horsemanship skill for fighting and riding) and it should be an individual bond between the rider and his horse. Of course I also think it might be good to factor in an equation that takes into consideration the quality of training it gets from the Ranger so that a good trainer will start your horse off at a higher level of skill.

It IS harder to fire a bow and swing a sword from horseback. It should be harder to cast a spell from horseback -especially if some of those casters have those neat enhancements where flames or ice crackle up their arms, or their eyes go black when they cast. That's asking a bit much for a horse to remain calm in combat while its rider does that (without training).

One of these days horses are going to wake up and realize how big and strong they are. Then we're going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Ssaladin of the Black Pearl Legion

"I thought it was funny."

Americans eat over six BILLION chickens a year. Imagine if they armed themselves.
Re: Horses and magic 10/16/2004 02:16 PM CDT
>>Now I do feel DR should have a way to train this off
>>That's asking a bit much for a horse to remain calm in combat while its rider does that (without training).

That's already in place, though. To cast from horseback at all both the rider and the horse must be trained (and I understand why this is). What I don't understand is why, with the proper trainging, a horse would still be freaked out by someone sitting on it making some gestures, especially outside of combat. I'm not the most experience person with RL horses, but I've ridden a few. You can definatetly sit there and gesture or talk without it getting freaked out, even if it's just had minimal training.
Re: Horses and magic 10/17/2004 04:05 PM CDT
Does anyone have a list of what each guild can teach horses, where to learn to do it, what circle they have to be, and what it costs? (Plus anything else I forgot!) Thanks.

Rigek
Re: Horses and magic 10/17/2004 04:54 PM CDT
Give this a try
http://www.legends-end.com/Horses.asp

Maltris
Re: Horses and magic 10/17/2004 10:00 PM CDT

>>My reason is that the difference between casting (or using a sword, or bow, etc) on foot and casting on horseback is a marked one. On foot you need only worry about your task at hand. On horseback you must concentrate on the task at hand and also control a half ton plus of another living creature under you.<<<

As the following poster indicated, the training to get horses AND the rider used to casting on horseback is already in place in the game. It's still prohibitively hard to do once the training is done, and horses in DR have no strengths to make up for the hardships they impart to their riders. At least, not enough strengths to make horses functional.

I have done a lot of riding in my time; as a teenager I'd get paid to train horses, and I used to go on real cattle drives all the time to help friends and put a 'polish' on young horses. One week long cattle drive, and I had a willing, calm partner that listened to my leg cues and I could get the mail while never getting off the horse, or open and close gates while on horseback.

I used to SLEEP on my horses once I had them trained, and let them walk home at the end of a long day. I had a horse that was unflappable from birth, and would not twitch at a bear - I never taught him that, he just had no fear.

Teaching a warhorse to do specific actions is one thing, and that takes a few years and a horse with the right qualities. Teaching them to relax is a pretty simple thing, and can be done unerringly with a horse that isn't completely stupid.

Anything can be justified. The end result is, horses are a hindrance instead of a benefit in DR.

---Brett
Re: Horses and magic 10/17/2004 10:25 PM CDT
I"d be happy if it were possible to use magic at all when riding a goat.

- Zelaide -
A shadow appears briefly beneath the water, gurgles, then fades away.
Re: Horses and magic 10/19/2004 09:37 AM CDT
Horse system is just expensive fluff with combat penaltys right now. Really no reason to bother with one. Even for paladins their not that useful. Hopefully it will get worked on someday (maybe after necromancers,druids and dual-wielding come out :P)

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative
Horse Racing.. 10/30/2004 09:13 AM CDT
Hello to all.Im kinda lost on here so bare with me try to make it understanble.

I have suggestion on horses.We have Jousting contest but, We dont have horse race.I was thinking what if we could get design in area/all stables have area.It could be any race,any guild.But horse probly have to learn how to race from rangers.Possibly entry fee and allow others to bet.Any profit could go to a guild/charity in game that are trying to get upgrade or something new.Could be prizes like for those either betting or racing.I have spoke with alot of folks before placing this suggestion here.They all had same aspect on this that I had myself.Folks would enjoy it be something new to add to do.

Thank you for your time.

Player known as Elabela
Horse ideas! 11/16/2004 11:28 AM CST
Oh! I have questions and suggestion on horse. Don't know if they were already suggested, not really much of a reader unless it is a fantasy book that I can carry with me. Anywho!
When you leave realms, sometimes your horse is placed in the stables. I was wondering why the items upon your horse disappear? And with that not known to me, I was wondering if there was any way of putting like, they take the items off the horse for you and store them away until you ask for their return instead of having them disappear on the people. Because sometimes it is not our faults that our computer or the game crashes and we were not able to stable the horse. (I am NOT arguing right here, just stating my opinions.)
Can we not have horses do the same as the caravans do? Real horses can carry a person that is unconscious on their back when someone throws them up on it, you know, the person be belly down, arms hanging down on side of the horse while the legs on the other. They can also sometimes support two people on them, given how big the person is.
You guys can laugh at me, I don't care, I'm just stating my opinions! Hehe. Well, I just thought I would put this in here. Thanks for reading it!

Hershey

Do not think wrongly of me when I do crazy things.
My actions are not controlled completely.

"Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk."

Lead me from hate to love, from war to peace.
Re: Horse ideas! 11/16/2004 11:44 AM CST
>>I was wondering why the items upon your horse disappear?

OOC, I think it has something to do with resource issues. Hopefully that can be remedied with the DR2 engine.

IC, I think the stableboys have sticky fingers.

>>Can we not have horses do the same as the caravans do? Real horses can carry a person that is unconscious on their back when someone throws them up on it, you know, the person be belly down, arms hanging down on side of the horse while the legs on the other.

Making sure I understand you - you're referring to finding a dead body/unconscious person on the road and throwing it over *your own* horse's back? Interesting idea. I like it, but unless they change the amount of time it takes the horse to follow, dragging them would be about as fast. Getting the body on the horse's back should have a more difficult stat check than dragging them.
>>riding double

I could see this being skill-based somehow, perhaps requiring the horse get training. I'm not an expert on RL horses, but I've been told by some that are that not all horses are interested or able to carry 2 at once. It's been requested a few times, and I really like this idea, especially if it opens a door to group riding.
Re: Horse ideas! 11/16/2004 12:26 PM CST
I forgot about adding group riding with horses, hehe. Like they do with groups, only have two riders in a group? I forget things a lot. But yeah!

Hershey

Re: Horse ideas! 11/16/2004 02:44 PM CST
Another question, is there any saddle bags for horses in game, or have they not been created? Oh, oh! I want to be an inventor!

Hershey

Re: Horse ideas! 11/17/2004 05:30 AM CST
<<Another question, is there any saddle bags for horses in game, or have they not been created? Oh, oh! I want to be an inventor!>>

There are saddle bags in game but they are shoulder worn on your person, not on the horse.

Beliel
Horse GM Update Please? 11/17/2004 06:09 AM CST
Greetings,

Is there a GM in charge of the Horses? There have been several posts asking for an update on this system and I don't see any replies.

I think the new ship thing is great, but I think it would be nice if we completed the systems we presently have before taking on a new one. Horses need some work and attention. Could someone, anyone, please give us an update?

Thanks much,
Tabia
Re: Horse GM Update Please? 11/17/2004 06:13 AM CST
And goats, everyone forgets about goats!

- Zelaide -
A shadow appears briefly beneath the water, gurgles, then fades away.
Re: Horse GM Update Please? 11/17/2004 06:18 AM CST

Ooops! Sorry about that. Yes, and goats too please?

Thanks Tabia
Re: Horse ideas! 11/30/2004 09:29 AM CST
What use is a saddle bag on a PERSON?
That's just.. not right. If YOU have to wear it, why even call it a "Saddle Bag"?
We should have containers that will fit on the horse that we can store things in. Can real horses not carry things along with the rider or at least have the rider lead, yet it have a back-ful of containers on its back?

Oh yeah, and about the tying a dead person onto the horse, yes, I think that would be a good idea, because if you think of it, caravans can have corpses tied to them and they take just as long as if you were dragging them yourself. Can horses not do the same thing? And yeah, with some skill, of course. Just like a trader has to go to a certain area to learn how to tie the corpse to the caravan. A person with a horse would have to go to a certain area to learn the skill.

And the group riding, not sure if it was explained fully. But if you can have a group without having to ride horses, can we not do the same as if you were riding a horse? It gets tiring having to signal your horse to walk an area and have to wait for your other person who is also riding a horse.

Double riding would be neat! (If you ever seen "Lord of the Rings", you can see that the Dwarf can ride on a horse while the Elf was mounted as well.) That way, in case we wanted to bring our horses, yet we had another person who wanted to tag along, we both could mount the horse, the one owning the horse would be the leader, and then we wouldn't have to wait a few minutes just for the person to arrive, or be in a group and wait for the horse to arrive. Because there are certain areas to which you cannot lead your horse into, but have to ride through (Example: The Ranger's Guild).

Well, thanks for your time reading my opinions.

Hershey

Re: Horse ideas! 11/30/2004 03:34 PM CST
Saddlebags were around long before horses ever were. Thats why they are like they are.

But, I'd certainly like to see all of what you mentioned.

~Ambassador Viptorian Arcinian

Bressail says, "I am trying to picture you in a kilt sitting in the throne with a footstool."

Bressail fixes you with a frank, even stare.

Bressail says, "And it scares me."

Miach says, "us too"
Re: Horse ideas! 11/30/2004 04:21 PM CST
Just giving my opinions, hoping one day I'd see them in the game! By that time, I'd be out of it for a few months until I pay the billing. ::chuckles::

Hershey

Horse System 12/15/2004 07:42 AM CST
Please, continue posting ideas and even complaints, though you really should avoid inflammatory statements.

As Solomon stated, we currently don't have a developer working on new stuff for this system. It is also very difficult to get new developers to work on large, intimidating pre-existing systems. I'm personally in charge of overseeing all DR Development as well as trying to complete new projects on top of my full-time job that feeds and clothes my wife and two children.

After the IFE2 conversion I did do quite a bit of behind the scenes work on this system, implementing some new stuff that will eventually support things like, for example, passengers and pulling carts to name two. This was in the hopes that one of our staff members would followup and complete the work but that person had to go on leave. In the meantime I was pulled away to work on other things.

Right now, I'm snowed under with high priority projects so it's doubtful that I'll have a chance to do anything with horses in the forseeable future other than maybe a piecemeal thing. I do have a lead on maybe getting someone to work on it besides myself sometime after the first of the year but we'll have to see how that shapes up.

In the meantime, we do continue to appreciate your input, suggestions, and encouragement.

Jeremael
Re: Horse System 12/15/2004 07:47 AM CST
>>Right now, I'm snowed under with high priority projects so it's doubtful that I'll have a chance to do anything with horses in the forseeable future other than maybe a piecemeal thing. I do have a lead on maybe getting someone to work on it besides myself sometime after the first of the year but we'll have to see how that shapes up.

::Puts on hip waders and grabs a snow shovel to go rescue Jeremael!::

Thanks for the hard work, Big Guy.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Horse System 12/15/2004 05:38 PM CST
Thank you for the update on the situation Jeremael, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know

__
"Faireft Therengia Rul'd by a
fornicating Haggis-eating Slubberdegullion--"

Vidumavi exclaims, "Wait!"
Vidumavi points at you.
Vidumavi exclaims, "Your that Blasword guy!"
>nod vid
You nod to Vidumavi.
Vidumavi exclaims, "You are the bomb!"
Re: Horse System 12/16/2004 03:34 AM CST
and goats, let's not ferget about goats.

-Zel
Re: Horse System 12/16/2004 01:52 PM CST
Thanks for letting us know Jeremael that horses are a concern for the GM's. One suggestion I'd like to put in, is if you sell your horse back to the stable you'd get like 10 platinum back? Instead of the 2.3 Platinum you get back now. (Not in game so dont know if the figure is accurate.) If you decide that the horse doesnt fit your playing style be nice to be able to recover more of the costs of buying a horse.

Bluefalcon
Re: Horse System 12/17/2004 08:56 AM CST
>>and goats, let's not ferget about goats.

A World Builder recently asked me about setting up a goat whistle merchant. I passed along the particulars but not sure when you'll see this.

Jeremael
Re: Horse System 12/17/2004 01:17 PM CST
>>A World Builder recently asked me about setting up a goat whistle merchant. I passed along the particulars but not sure when you'll see this.

Good to hear, when isn't as important as knowing that you were asked.

-Zel
Re: Horse System 12/22/2004 02:43 PM CST
Can I have a baby lamb?
Feed it, cuddle it, shave it to sell the fur (watch for winter or you'll kill it!). Oh, I'd have fun taking care of a baby lamb. I want one! =D Pwease? teehee

Hershey

Re: Horse System 12/23/2004 08:48 AM CST
dont forget.. slautering and butchering then cooking up a nice MLT, mutton lettace and tomato sandwich.. when the mutton is nice and lean...

Got Body Parts?
Re: Horse System 12/24/2004 06:17 PM CST

Thank you Jeremael for the post and update.

Guess it was finally someone other than myself asking that got a result. Heh

Candidus
Horse neglect 01/12/2005 09:42 PM CST
Came across a horse standing in a room and noticed it was still there a couple hours later, but didn't really think much of it. Came back to the game 12+ hours later, horse is still in the same spot, so I studied it. It was in need of food and a good brushing, so I tended to it after not receiving a response when I gwethed to the owner.

So, if the owner of a horse remains IG and their animal is elsewhere and steadily declining in condition, what happens if the horse is neglected too long?

From between two of the grove's tallest trees a pair of glowing eyes -- like those of a panther -- seem to appear. They blink once, and vanish.
Re: Horse neglect 01/13/2005 10:42 AM CST
Nothing, from what I've seen. The worst condition I've seen a horse in has been when in a non grazing area. The horse became more aggitated (snorting and whatnot) and then moved into a very quiet mood, very listless.

But as far as horses being left in grazeable areas, I've never seen any sort of issue with them not being feed or groomed. Of course, I would assume a paladins bond would suffer through mistreatment of a horse, but I know very little about their system.

Jalika

You hear a female voice whisper, "Easily used when offered, probably is like other men. Always speaking with their muscles, and not the one that rests between their ears."
Re: Horse neglect 02/08/2005 05:46 PM CST
I haven't seen anything unusual either. Just outside the stables near Aesry's docks, the same horse has been standing around for what seems like weeks now. I didn't bother studying it for grooming, but it's very much alive.

-Spiritshadow
Re: Horse neglect 02/13/2005 08:24 AM CST
Spiritshadow...that is my horse, and i tend to it regularly...i tend to live in the Unyn caves, so i use my horse to climb the staid and what not and keep it there for my use when i need him. I take care of him.
Horses and Boats 02/18/2005 07:47 AM CST
Is there any way to get your horse onto a boat? I tried everything I could think of to get my mare onto the Skirr. There should be some "load horse" mechanism that hoists your horse onto a boat if there's no ramp available for her to walk up. Of course, I would expect to have to pay to have her loaded and unloaded via a hoist.

I haven't tried taking her onto a private boat yet, so maybe this already exists on some private boats?

Horses already go on ferrys, so it's obvious that they aren't afraid of the movement of the water. Of course, I'd be hard pressed to get any of my irl horses to walk onto anything that they didn't think was safe for them, but that doesn't seem to be a consideration here.

If necessary, maybe it could be something that a horse would have to be taught--hoist tolerance or something like that. I have no idea which guild would teach it, but it's a thought.

Thanks,
Jen
Re: Horses and Boats 02/18/2005 08:23 AM CST
You stable your horse and it can get teleported to you at anouther stable on the islands.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Horses and Boats 02/18/2005 12:19 PM CST
So horses are afraid of water... but not moongates... silly horses

Souv

>
A sailor walks up to you and says, "Your commission as Captain of the Skirr'lolasu has run out."
The sailor salutes and walks away to return to his duties.